What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Navarro Bowman (1 Viewer)

yacyarder

Footballguy
He has looked good all preseason and continued it into the first game (7 solos).

Can we expect this kind of production out of Bowman all year or was it just a product of the matchup and just getting lucky. Is it possible he could challenge Willis for the tackle lead on the team? Everyone is talking about Lee, Angerer and Weatherspoon and for good reason, but is this the type of under the radar add we need/should make now.

Thanks for the input.

I like Bowman a little bit and I drafted him late in a couple leagues.

I doubt he'll seriously challenge Willis for the lead in tackles on the team, and expecting solid LB2 production is probably asking too much, but look at it this way: Takeo Spikes got around 100 combined stops and scored as an "upper tier LB3/lower tier LB2" a year ago playing alongside Willis. I see no damning evidence against Bowman doing something similar if he keeps the starting gig all year and remains healthy.

Could he crack into solid LB2 area? I suppose it wouldn't take too much to convince me he might, but regardless I think he'll probably be a pretty good bet to be a strong LB3 most weeks with a few weeks where maybe he'll score like a middling LB2. Considering where I drafted the guy I'll take that all day long.

This guy tore it up again with 9 solos, 1 asst and a PD. Anyone closer to the situation (or saw the game) have any more color?

From last week's Reading the Defense...

Navorro Bowman (6-0) / Patrick Willis (5-0, QH, PD, FR)

When Bowman was drafted, I hated his landing spot. I thought his scouting reports suggested a 4-3 WLB who might struggle in other roles, especially that of a 3-4 SILB. Add in worries that he might not have a subpackage role and would be playing alongside Willis, and I didn't want any part of him. But when he got on the field late last year, he looked the part. Better shedding tackles than I expected, with all of the range and suddenness that his scouting reports suggested. He reminded me a little of Lawrence Timmons. That's overstating his fantasy upside a bit, but Bowman is going to have value as the every-down SILB in San Francisco. And, ordinarily, I'd say not to worry too much over Willis' five solo tackle performance. But the presence of Bowman and Donte Whitner, who seemed to play with a serious chip on his shoulder, might make it hard for Willis to run up 100+ solos this year. It's still a little early and I don't want to over-react to one week, but Willis finally has competition in the back seven. I might be struck down as a blasphemer by the IDP gods this week, but redraft leaguers with killer depth might be able to cash in Willis' chip for nice value by convincing someone that he's a "buy low" when he's really a "sell high" if the trend continues over the next couple of weeks.

From last week's Reading the Defense...Navorro Bowman (6-0) / Patrick Willis (5-0, QH, PD, FR)When Bowman was drafted, I hated his landing spot. I thought his scouting reports suggested a 4-3 WLB who might struggle in other roles, especially that of a 3-4 SILB. Add in worries that he might not have a subpackage role and would be playing alongside Willis, and I didn't want any part of him. But when he got on the field late last year, he looked the part. Better shedding tackles than I expected, with all of the range and suddenness that his scouting reports suggested. He reminded me a little of Lawrence Timmons. That's overstating his fantasy upside a bit, but Bowman is going to have value as the every-down SILB in San Francisco. And, ordinarily, I'd say not to worry too much over Willis' five solo tackle performance. But the presence of Bowman and Donte Whitner, who seemed to play with a serious chip on his shoulder, might make it hard for Willis to run up 100+ solos this year. It's still a little early and I don't want to over-react to one week, but Willis finally has competition in the back seven. I might be struck down as a blasphemer by the IDP gods this week, but redraft leaguers with killer depth might be able to cash in Willis' chip for nice value by convincing someone that he's a "buy low" when he's really a "sell high" if the trend continues over the next couple of weeks.
Wow.

mayock was very high on both bowman and lee from class of '10...

i think he called bowman the best open field tackler among LBs in the draft...

not sure if he said lee was most instinctive, or best at shedding blocks...

Last edited by a moderator:
This guy tore it up again with 9 solos, 1 asst and a PD. Anyone closer to the situation (or saw the game) have any more color?
I think the official scorer is screwing Willis and giving Bowman his tackles. Seriously. No way Bowman has outtackled PWilly the last two weeks, I've watched and rewatched every snap. I think Justin Smith got shafted against Dallas as well.

'5Rings said:
I think the official scorer is screwing Willis and giving Bowman his tackles. Seriously. No way Bowman has outtackled PWilly the last two weeks, I've watched and rewatched every snap. I think Justin Smith got shafted against Dallas as well.
So says a Willis owner. LOL.

If Bowman is still on your waiver wire, you might want to check out the DAL vs. SF game on NFL Replay showing this week. The dude's a baller. On one play in particular, Miles Austin broke a cornerback's tackle and Bowman chased him down on a nice tackle. Miles has just a little speed as we all know.

oI think the official scorer is screwing Willis and giving Bowman his tackles. Seriously. No way Bowman has outtackled PWilly the last two weeks, I've watched and rewatched every snap. I think Justin Smith got shafted against Dallas as well.
Commenting on stuff you don't know about doesn't add anything to the forum. Watch last game and you will agree.

oI think the official scorer is screwing Willis and giving Bowman his tackles. Seriously. No way Bowman has outtackled PWilly the last two weeks, I've watched and rewatched every snap. I think Justin Smith got shafted against Dallas as well.
Commenting on stuff you don't know about doesn't add anything to the forum. Watch last game and you will agree.
Another great day for Bowman (7/4 or 8/5) vs. Willis (3/5). Looks like there may be a new sheriff in town for the 49ers... Unless, of course they took their official scorer to Cincinnati with them. :D

Another great day for Bowman (7/4 or 8/5) vs. Willis (3/5). Looks like there may be a new sheriff in town for the 49ers... Unless, of course they took their official scorer to Cincinnati with them. :D
:)Bowman outplayed PWilly yesterday. This was the first game I agree with Bowman's uncle, the official scorer :) , that Willis was outtackled.Bowman is going to end up getting some picks too, as he has inherited Takeo's old spot short CF spot in the nickle package. Even that old bugger had 3 picks last season.Its not surprising that teams are scheming against PWilly, and that the undersized DTs can't keep blockers off PW the way Franklin did. Bowman is in a great situation and is taking advantage of it.

The question is, however, Is Patrick Willis still a top 3 dynasty LB with Bowman in town?

I have to believe Willis will still overcome this. He is just too talented.

Jene or John, since no linebacker Dynasty rankings have been done since before the season and he wasn't in the top 40-50 or thought of so highly, about where would you slot Bowman now after seeing what he has done the first 3 weeks?

Jene or John, since no linebacker Dynasty rankings have been done since before the season and he wasn't in the top 40-50 or thought of so highly, about where would you slot Bowman now after seeing what he has done the first 3 weeks?
I had Bowman ranked 52nd in my final preseason redraft ranking update (which pretty accurately reflects my dynasty thoughts given multiple confounding factors) and I put him in my matchup LB4 with upside tier in the strategy series I did with Bloom, but noted that tier was extremely fluid and that players like Bowman could jump multiple tiers if playing time (i.e. Foster) or continued strong play (i.e. Bowman) occurred.I think there's likely some inconsistency ahead for Bowman, but he'd be firmly in my LB3 with upside tier now. That usually slots a player in the LB20-LB35 range, depending on just how much upside there is. I'm planning to redo tiers sometime after 4-5 games. If Bowman holds up well against the spread base offensive sets of PHI and DET over the next three weeks, it'll be very hard not to put him in the top 20.

I had Bowman ranked 52nd in my final preseason redraft ranking update (which pretty accurately reflects my dynasty thoughts given multiple confounding factors) and I put him in my matchup LB4 with upside tier in the strategy series I did with Bloom, but noted that tier was extremely fluid and that players like Bowman could jump multiple tiers if playing time (i.e. Foster) or continued strong play (i.e. Bowman) occurred.I think there's likely some inconsistency ahead for Bowman, but he'd be firmly in my LB3 with upside tier now. That usually slots a player in the LB20-LB35 range, depending on just how much upside there is. I'm planning to redo tiers sometime after 4-5 games. If Bowman holds up well against the spread base offensive sets of PHI and DET over the next three weeks, it'll be very hard not to put him in the top 20.
What about Willis? He still top 3?

What about Willis? He still top 3?
Yes and no.I made the argument in the RTD that Willis' days as a clear elite tier linebacker were possibly over. But that doesn't mean he falls out of the discussion entirely. Despite a pretty crappy schedule (SEA, DAL, CIN), he's really had only one poor game. That was this week's game against Cincinnati, where he saw only 19 rushing attempts and 38 tackle opportunities.But there's clearly a group that's closed the gap -- Desmond Bishop, D'Qwell Jackson, Sean Lee -- and it's too early to write off Jerod Mayo and Lawrence Timmons, too. That tier is becoming deep enough that the changes in the 49er defensive landscape make it no longer correct to consider Willis in a class by himself.I've had lots of good things to say about Bowman, but let's see how the PHI game goes before we anoint Bowman a LB1 and drop Willis out of the top tier altogether. He's been every bit the same player on the field through the first three weeks as he was between 2007 and 2010.

This is wild. I don't get any 9ers games here but any homers think Willis turns it around and puts up numbers? I have an itch to trade him with his superstar name status. this is redraft of course.

The question is, however, Is Patrick Willis still a top 3 dynasty LB with Bowman in town?I have to believe Willis will still overcome this. He is just too talented.
I think he was overdrafted everywhere this year. Seemed to go at least a full round before any other IDP. He'll get his IMO, just temper your expectations.

Is there a reason his production has declined so much over the past four weeks? Ive only seen box scores really. In my tackle heavy format he averaged almost 12 points the first 10 weeks, but has averaged less than 6 the past four weeks(including a 2 pt performance last week). Ive been patient with him because i feel hes due, the steelers give up a good amount of points to lb, the SF scorekeeper awards alot of solos (his specialty), and he gives me a chance to still score points on monday night. But has the point passed(4 declining games against teams that really give up a ton of pts to lb)where i should be looking for better options? There are some real good options this week (like ray lewis if hes healthy) in my FA. Is he going to be a bust this week or will he finally break out of his funk?

Poor match-ups IMO. Other than the Ravens game. I'm still rolling with him this week. Hoping for a bounce-back as well. No idea why but Willis being out hasn't helped him

Mine too...I had to choose bw Angerer, McClain, and Bowman. I benched Angerer (unfortunately) due to the poor matchup vs Tennessee. I watched Bowman last week, and although his line was unimpressive, his play was not. I don't see him continuing to be outshined in the box scores by Larry Grant. Pittsburgh is going to try to run on the 49ers since Ben is gimpy. I think he is a good bet for double at least a 7/3 kind of line. At least I hope.

Mine too...I had to choose bw Angerer, McClain, and Bowman. I benched Angerer (unfortunately) due to the poor matchup vs Tennessee. I watched Bowman last week, and although his line was unimpressive, his play was not. I don't see him continuing to be outshined in the box scores by Larry Grant. Pittsburgh is going to try to run on the 49ers since Ben is gimpy. I think he is a good bet for double at least a 7/3 kind of line. At least I hope.
Looks like Bowman is through putting up huge numbers.

Definitely serviceable numbers, what do you project for this week vs. Seattle? If I can get 8-10 tackles form him that would work.

Users who are viewing this thread