What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NE Running Game - 2 dozen threads merged (2 Viewers)

The only thing I can say is that Maroney has finished as a top 30 RB in all 3 of his full seasons. I realize he is not the greatest RB in the world and can't really be counted on, but his ADP is RB47 and based on his history, that is some very good value. I'd gladly take him as my RB4.
What's his ADP? I don't disagree he may be a nice RB4, but you're not getting RB4 before the 10th round.

I was agreeing with almost everything you were saying until the 1 out of 3 games thing. Aaron Rodgers has scored 10 or more fantasy points in only 31 of his 80 possible starts, whether for injury or somebody playing ahead of him or whatever. I still think he's worth a roster spot.
Maroney was stuck behind a 1st ballot Hall of Famer who never missed a game? And here I was thinking he was a bum who couldn't dislodge any of three over-the-hill role-players.

I don't have the time or the energy to rehash the same info from threads from other season. THe environment is the same, the players are essentially the same, so expect similar results as in the past.
:goodposting: NOTHING significant has changed, so expect the SOS from Macaroney. If anything, with Logan Mankind holding out and his back up Nick injured, don't expect the running game to get a whole lot better .

The only thing I can say is that Maroney has finished as a top 30 RB in all 3 of his full seasons. I realize he is not the greatest RB in the world and can't really be counted on, but his ADP is RB47 and based on his history, that is some very good value. I'd gladly take him as my RB4.
What's his ADP? I don't disagree he may be a nice RB4, but you're not getting RB4 before the 10th round.
old bagger used to read the thread. Maroney's ADP is currently 125.

I think it's telling that they brought Maroney in specifically at the goal line. He makes a nice adjustment on a counter play for the TD.

BGE ran all the plays with the first team. If that keeps up though the rest of the preseason, he is WAY undervalued.

I think it's telling that they brought Maroney in specifically at the goal line. He makes a nice adjustment on a counter play for the TD.
What's telling about it? I can see it interpreted 2 ways, but I'm curious which you're inferring here. I know you're a Pats fan, so curious what your thinking is.

BGE ran all the plays with the first team. If that keeps up though the rest of the preseason, he is WAY undervalued.
just grabbed him off waivers in a 12X30 dynasty so I would agree with this. Any value is undervalued...Does he have a chance to do some damage? I'm confused by seeing him with the 1st team, but he's worth a flier just in case. You never know

Last edited by a moderator:
just grabbed him off waivers in a 12X30 dynasty so I would agree with this. Any value is undervalued...Does he have a chance to do some damage? I'm confused by seeing him with the 1st team, but he's worth a flier just in case. You never know
and if they're playing him with the first team as a last chance bubble player evaluation he may be way overvalued.......

and if they're playing him with the first team as a last chance bubble player evaluation he may be way overvalued.......
i seriously doubt he gets cut considering he plays FB and special teamsnot to mention, wasn't BB just praising him?
"I think he's improved over the last two years significantly," Belichick said. "...Benny works hard and he's tough. He's very professional and he really takes his job seriously. When you tell him to improve in something, he'll work very diligently to do it."
I believe that was from a presserwhen has a "last chance bubble player" been inserted with a 1st team?

What's telling about it? I can see it interpreted 2 ways, but I'm curious which you're inferring here. I know you're a Pats fan, so curious what your thinking is.
The Patriots use their running backs in roles, and they make situational adjustments and they use their preseason games to practice situations. I think we all know Faulk's role, for example. I feel like Morris brings a complete back, Taylor is a little bit more of a hammer, and BJGE is their expendable body at running back, a role he's played the last couple years and that was played by Kyle Eckel in 2007. Which leaves Maroney, the guy who was seemingly drafted to be the starter, but hasn't really taken. He's frustrating because he doesn't always hit the hole hard, and when he started hitting the hole a little better last year, he developed a heretofore unseen fumbling problem. He can catch the ball, but not as well as Faulk. He can run inside or out, but he's not a hammer like Taylor. He's versatile, but so is Morris. But he's also more talented than BJGE, he's 25, and he's on the final year of his contract, and most importantly, he had as many TDs last year as Faulk, Morris and Taylor combined. A lot will be made of BJGE playing on the first drive, but as I said, he's the warm body. Maroney's still first on the depth chart, and Morris second, with BJGE listed as third string. The question is whether he can play, and he responded with 11 rushes for 34 yards and a 6 yard TD. The takeaway tonight is that, well, he is what we thought he was. Capable, but not special. BJGE got most of the work on the first drive of the second quarter, too. But the first time they got to the 5 yard line, in comes Maroney. And from the 5, he ran a counter play, made a nice adjustment, and ran it in. They brought Maroney in again on the first drive of the third quarter, and he ran the ball for five. On the next play, he made a nice block, stopping in front of a delayed pass rusher to get position and then driving him back. On the resultant first down, he had a tap dancy run for -2 yards, which he made up for somewhat with a 6 yard run on second and 12. A long catch by Edelman got them inside the five again, and they ran Maroney three straight times. The first run, he got to the one on a botched play where the rookie TE banged into the backup QB before the handoff, and Maroney managed to make something of it, twisting at the end for an extra yard. On second down, he advanced the ball, but if you looked, he was holding on to the ball for dear life and didn't push it across the stripe. Smart man. On third and inches, he got the touchdown. He came in for one last run, which went for 13 yards, before deferring to the training camp fodder. I think they got a good look at Maroney on the goal line tonight and it was positive, resulting in two TDs. They don't need to see the AARP guys much in live game action. BJGE got some carries, and had a decent but unspectacular game highlighted by a 6 yard TD run in the first quarter. The big thing we saw was Maroney on the stripe, and he didn't disappoint. He got positive carries on all but one of his carries, had some nice long runs, made a nice block and showed good ball control. With the exception of the one negative yardage play, where he stutter stepped instead of running into his blocking and lost a couple yards because of it, I think he had a very good night, and my uninformed opinion is that Belichick saw what he wanted to see from him.

I don't think we learned much of anything at the RB postion, as we pretty much already know it will be a RBBC. I would caution anyone to conclude anything at this point.

Here are the breakdowns from last year's preseason's game:

S.Morris 12-45, B.Green-Ellis 4-31, L.Maroney 6-14, K.Faulk 1-9

B.Green-Ellis 10-44, F.Taylor 7-26, L.Maroney 3-6, K.Faulk 1-5

B.Green-Ellis 6-49, C.Taylor 4-25, F.Taylor 7-20, L.Maroney 7-16

B.Green-Ellis 29-125-3, C.Taylor 1-2

i seriously doubt he gets cut considering he plays FB and special teamsnot to mention, wasn't BB just praising him?
"I think he's improved over the last two years significantly," Belichick said. "...Benny works hard and he's tough. He's very professional and he really takes his job seriously. When you tell him to improve in something, he'll work very diligently to do it."
I believe that was from a presserwhen has a "last chance bubble player" been inserted with a 1st team?
belichick praised the raiders right before they played them.

I don't think we learned much of anything at the RB postion, as we pretty much already know it will be a RBBC. I would caution anyone to conclude anything at this point.Here are the breakdowns from last year's preseason's game:S.Morris 12-45, B.Green-Ellis 4-31, L.Maroney 6-14, K.Faulk 1-9B.Green-Ellis 10-44, F.Taylor 7-26, L.Maroney 3-6, K.Faulk 1-5B.Green-Ellis 6-49, C.Taylor 4-25, F.Taylor 7-20, L.Maroney 7-16B.Green-Ellis 29-125-3, C.Taylor 1-2
Agree the conservative bet is the way to go, but I still like Maroney as the starter and in another thread I just mentioned that the three-TE set is a significant development in their offense for this year. This team is going to be even more successful on the ground than last year - far more consistent and dangerous, IMO.

I don't have the time or the energy to rehash the same info from threads from other season. THe environment is the same, the players are essentially the same, so expect similar results as in the past.
:lmao: NOTHING significant has changed, so expect the SOS from Macaroney. If anything, with Logan Mankind holding out and his back up Nick injured, don't expect the running game to get a whole lot better .
I think the presence of Crumpler, Gronkowski, and Hernandez is a big development. One of the greatest problems this team had last year was getting to the second level or outside. One of the big problems was Watson's blocking. Now you have two very good run blocking TEs in Crumpler and Gronkowski. In a 3-TE set, Crumpler and/or Gronkowski can help double-team with the LT/RT and the second and third TEs provide flexibility to lead blocks outside or slip to the LBs. The set also provides flexibility with Hernandez as a receiver in the slot or outside if they need to adjust pre-snap. Hard for me to think nothing significant changed. Even Tedy Bruschi, (no offense but I think he knows this team a little better than most Pat fans here) said this three-TE set was very effective tonight.

I don't think we learned much of anything at the RB postion, as we pretty much already know it will be a RBBC. I would caution anyone to conclude anything at this point.Here are the breakdowns from last year's preseason's game:S.Morris 12-45, B.Green-Ellis 4-31, L.Maroney 6-14, K.Faulk 1-9B.Green-Ellis 10-44, F.Taylor 7-26, L.Maroney 3-6, K.Faulk 1-5B.Green-Ellis 6-49, C.Taylor 4-25, F.Taylor 7-20, L.Maroney 7-16B.Green-Ellis 29-125-3, C.Taylor 1-2
Agree the conservative bet is the way to go, but I still like Maroney as the starter and in another thread I just mentioned that the three-TE set is a significant development in their offense for this year. This team is going to be even more successful on the ground than last year - far more consistent and dangerous, IMO.
Well, Mike Reiss has said Fred Taylor has played in every practice so far and looks great. Reiss predicts Taylor will get 10-15 carries a game.

Well, Mike Reiss has said Fred Taylor has played in every practice so far and looks great. Reiss predicts Taylor will get 10-15 carries a game.
That would be about 200 carries for the season. I know you're just posting information you've heard and appreciate it but I'd bet some cash that Fred Taylor doesn't end up with 200 carries this season.I think the 3 TE set could be significant as well. It appears they want to control the ball more on offense, grind the clock to possibly keep the defense off the field, more of a weakness in years past. I'm leaning more and more towards taking a shot at a RB from NE and definately am chilly on Tom Brady and Randy Moss at their respective ADP's.

With Lynell Hamilton done for the year, I'm thinking BGE would be a nice fit in New Orleans. Any chance he got so many 1st team carries Thursday to boost his trade value, or is he moving up the depth chart in NE?

And when the season started, Maroney and Taylor split the load. So, whoever doesn't play in the last preseason game is your man. :) I think Maroney is a good guy to target. What guy - at his ADP - doesn't have some negatives to discuss? It will be RBBC. Call it a hunch, but I think this is the year he steps it up.My draft is pretty late. I'm hoping the situation is less murky then. Perhaps we'll be surprised by the release of "somebody". Huge Fred Taylor fan here... but how much can he have in the tank? From what I've seen of BJGE, he will stick with the team.

With Lynell Hamilton done for the year, I'm thinking BGE would be a nice fit in New Orleans. Any chance he got so many 1st team carries Thursday to boost his trade value, or is he moving up the depth chart in NE?
BJGE is a N.O. native so that's an interesting fit. Also interesting is the fact that in college, he was part of a committee with Chris Taylor - Both on the Pats' bench. I think BJGE or Taylor might have some dynasty value here as who knows how the NE back field looks this time next year. Morris, Taylor, Faulk and Maroney (contract year) all could be gone. Maybe they'll use a 1st rounder (from the Raiders) on a back.Not to hijack but I do think the Saints will bring a 3rd back into their mix as Payton seems convinced to manage Thomas' load.

It is a 12 team, non-PPR league. We all know that the NE running game is uncertain at best right now. Maroney is in the dog-house, Faulk is the 3rd down back. That leaves Morris and Taylor. Until he got hurt, Taylor was solid last year. Got something like 15 touches a game. What are your thoughts on these guys? Is he such a mess that none of them have any fantasy value or do you see any one of them emerging.

I play in three league and in each case somebody has rostered Maroney; nobody else from the stable has been drafted. Maybe they are hoping Maroney gets traded?

I'm tempted to p/up Freddie, got a couple RB injuries already and could use some emergency depth early in the year, just in case. I've played the Maroney game and I'm out, for good.

Taylor should see 10-15 carries and some red zone looks but very few reciving targets as long as he is healthy. That might make him a meh RB2 in 12 team leagues but likely a very good flex option. Basically, he could put up Maroney like numbers. However, my opinion could change slightly depending upon the final Pats roster over the weekend.

Taylor should see 10-15 carries and some red zone looks but very few reciving targets as long as he is healthy. That might make him a meh RB2 in 12 team leagues but likely a very good flex option. Basically, he could put up Maroney like numbers. However, my opinion could change slightly depending upon the final Pats roster over the weekend.
Like if Maroney gets cut? lolcan't see any other move that would change the above predictions.

Like if Maroney gets cut? lolcan't see any other move that would change the above predictions.
If Maroney/Morris/BJGE got cut I might be inclined to think Taylor might see a few more carries and perhaps more TD opportunities. I doubt anyone will get cut, but without Morris, Taylor would see more love in the red zone.I know they don't love Maroney, but without him they would REALLLLLY be rolling the dice for RB depth.

It is a 12 team, non-PPR league. We all know that the NE running game is uncertain at best right now. Maroney is in the dog-house, Faulk is the 3rd down back. That leaves Morris and Taylor. Until he got hurt, Taylor was solid last year. Got something like 15 touches a game. What are your thoughts on these guys? Is he such a mess that none of them have any fantasy value or do you see any one of them emerging.I play in three league and in each case somebody has rostered Maroney; nobody else from the stable has been drafted. Maybe they are hoping Maroney gets traded?
In my humble opinion Fred Taylor is the rb to have in NE. If he stays healthy he could put up solid #3 and maybe even weak #2 numbers.

This is a total Lee Evans situation.

Take Freddy Taylor. Nice, solid, reliable NFL veteran in a boring position where if ALL the breaks go his way, you could conceivably find a spot for him on your fantasy roster, where he'll then proceed to sink your team with a 1000/6 season.

None of these guys -- NONE of them -- can conceivably make a positive difference on your fantasy outcome this season. People roster them as backups thinking, well, if my starter goes down, I know I can safely slot Lee Evans in there, and every week my final result will be non-embarrassing. That'll make you feel really good about things, as you look back upon your many valiant but inevitable losses as you wrap up your 4-8 season.

You are far, FAR better off rostering guys with a 95% chance of putting up ZERO points all year, if there is also a non-zero chance they could develop into difference makers.

I will happily trade you Fred Taylor and Lee Evans for your Javon Ringer and Dexter McCluster or something. Your projected stats will blow mine out of the water after the trade, but ultimately, these guys are all going to rot on our benches anyway. The only difference is, in the sad event we have to start them at some point, at least mine now have hope.

Avoid reliable mediocrity like it's the plague.

This is a total Lee Evans situation.Take Freddy Taylor. Nice, solid, reliable NFL veteran in a boring position where if ALL the breaks go his way, you could conceivably find a spot for him on your fantasy roster, where he'll then proceed to sink your team with a 1000/6 season.None of these guys -- NONE of them -- can conceivably make a positive difference on your fantasy outcome this season. People roster them as backups thinking, well, if my starter goes down, I know I can safely slot Lee Evans in there, and every week my final result will be non-embarrassing. That'll make you feel really good about things, as you look back upon your many valiant but inevitable losses as you wrap up your 4-8 season.You are far, FAR better off rostering guys with a 95% chance of putting up ZERO points all year, if there is also a non-zero chance they could develop into difference makers.I will happily trade you Fred Taylor and Lee Evans for your Javon Ringer and Dexter McCluster or something. Your projected stats will blow mine out of the water after the trade, but ultimately, these guys are all going to rot on our benches anyway. The only difference is, in the sad event we have to start them at some point, at least mine now have hope.Avoid reliable mediocrity like it's the plague.
Allow me to disagree.Over the past 3 seasons, a Pats RB has scored 10+ fantasy points in a game 43 times out of 48 games. While you may think that their backs are mediocre (which is probably pretty accurate), they have been productive. At a minimum, 10+ fantasy points in 0 PPR leagues is low end RB2 production at a minimum.It's not that difficult to keep track of who will get the production, you just have to pay attention. The issue is that you can't roster 5 NE RBs on a fantasy team, but you should know each week if the guy you have is going to get the ball.And your Lee Evans example is pretty flawed here, as Evans will go LIGHT YEARS ahead of all the NE running backs on draft day. I've picked up Taylor in the last round of drafts after 280 other players were taken. Even if I use Taylor a couple times he will well exceed any expectations for a last round pick.

Take Freddy Taylor. Nice, solid, reliable NFL veteran in a boring position where if ALL the breaks go his way, you could conceivably find a spot for him on your fantasy roster, where he'll then proceed to sink your team with a 1000/6 season.

None of these guys -- NONE of them -- can conceivably make a positive difference on your fantasy outcome this season. People roster them as backups thinking, well, if my starter goes down, I know I can safely slot Lee Evans in there, and every week my final result will be non-embarrassing. That'll make you feel really good about things, as you look back upon your many valiant but inevitable losses as you wrap up your 4-8 season.

You are far, FAR better off rostering guys with a 95% chance of putting up ZERO points all year, if there is also a non-zero chance they could develop into difference makers.

I will happily trade you Fred Taylor and Lee Evans for your Javon Ringer and Dexter McCluster or something. Your projected stats will blow mine out of the water after the trade, but ultimately, these guys are all going to rot on our benches anyway. The only difference is, in the sad event we have to start them at some point, at least mine now have hope.

Allow me to disagree.Over the past 3 seasons, a Pats RB has scored 10+ fantasy points in a game 43 times out of 48 games. While you may think that their backs are mediocre (which is probably pretty accurate), they have been productive. At a minimum, 10+ fantasy points in 0 PPR leagues is low end RB2 production at a minimum.

It's not that difficult to keep track of who will get the production, you just have to pay attention. The issue is that you can't roster 5 NE RBs on a fantasy team, but you should know each week if the guy you have is going to get the ball.

And your Lee Evans example is pretty flawed here, as Evans will go LIGHT YEARS ahead of all the NE running backs on draft day. I've picked up Taylor in the last round of drafts after 280 other players were taken. Even if I use Taylor a couple times he will well exceed any expectations for a last round pick.
This is the part that has always eluded me with the NE RB situation. I never feel like I know what BB is going to do week in and week out.

Allow me to disagree.Over the past 3 seasons, a Pats RB has scored 10+ fantasy points in a game 43 times out of 48 games. While you may think that their backs are mediocre (which is probably pretty accurate), they have been productive. At a minimum, 10+ fantasy points in 0 PPR leagues is low end RB2 production at a minimum.

It's not that difficult to keep track of who will get the production, you just have to pay attention. The issue is that you can't roster 5 NE RBs on a fantasy team, but you should know each week if the guy you have is going to get the ball.

And your Lee Evans example is pretty flawed here, as Evans will go LIGHT YEARS ahead of all the NE running backs on draft day. I've picked up Taylor in the last round of drafts after 280 other players were taken. Even if I use Taylor a couple times he will well exceed any expectations for a last round pick.
This is the part that has always eluded me with the NE RB situation. I never feel like I know what BB is going to do week in and week out.
Part of the NE RBBC stigma is somewhat of a myth. THey usually have one or two guys hurt . . . which means someone else will get the ball. The only quasi exception is Kevin Faulk, as his role doesn't usually change all that much (although when other guys have been hurt he does tend to get some more carries).If you look back over the past few years, NE has had guys miss huge blocks of time or go on IR. If someone is just plain OUT, it's not that much of a mystery. I do admit that reading the tea leaves when they are all healthy is an issue (but that hasn't happened all that much).

On occasion, they have dumped the running game altogether (which is also hard to predict), but that usually happens against teams that stuff the run or in games when the defense can't stop anyone. So as a general rule of thumb, avoiding teams that are run stuffers (advisable most of the time anyway) or against offensive powerhouses (Colts and Saints come to mind) might be wise.

just dropped Washington for Taylor in my money league. I'd rather have his boring consistency that hoping for something out of a kick-returner/3rd down back.

I grabbed Freddie in the 14th of my 14 team keeper league. I promised myself going into thr draft I would stay away from the NE RB situation. But at 14, I think was a great value pick. Belly seems to favor veterans and I think freddie will be #1 on the depth chart...not that it means a whole lot!

I wouldn't want to draft a NE rb as my RB1/RB2 backs but I do have both Maroney and Taylor on my roster as a possible bye week filler. My logic was that NE is going to be scoring lots of points. Add to this that by week 8/9 (when my primary RB's have their bye weeks), the RB situation might be more established. If either one gets injured, I think the workload of the other improves. If Maroney is cut (I personally doubt this) he might get picked up in a better situation.

Bottom line, there is potential value in the NE running game - just don't count on it :loco:

Thoughts on Sammy Morris? He has always looked pretty good when given a shot. The one preseason game I saw of the Pats this year he broke off a few nice runs.

I since ran some numbers (well, Doug ran the numbers but I told him what numbers to run). Looking at all teams and counting only the highest scoring RB in each week, here's what the top scoring back on each team has averaged each week fantasy wise (0 ppr) over the past three seasons. It doesn't matter which back it was, it's the high score that counts. Basically, best ball scoring for each team . . .

MIN 17.89

TEN 16.08

CAR 16.06

SDC 15.92

PHI 15.62

BAL 15.60

JAX 15.29

NOS 15.20

MIA 14.91

NYG 14.49

IND 14.44

ATL 14.08

SFO 14.05

NYJ 14.01

DAL 13.44

WAS 13.28

HOU 13.23

PIT 13.00

STL 12.90

BUF 12.88

CLE 12.86

GBP 12.84

NEP 12.76

DEN 12.11

CHI 12.08

OAK 11.93

TBB 11.84

ARI 11.60

CIN 11.52

DET 11.50

KCC 11.39

SEA 11.17

I must admit that I thought the Patriots would have ranked higher on the list. Interesting that there are players with hype this year from 4 of the bottom 5 teams on the list.

I since ran some numbers (well, Doug ran the numbers but I told him what numbers to run). Looking at all teams and counting only the highest scoring RB in each week, here's what the top scoring back on each team has averaged each week fantasy wise (0 ppr) over the past three seasons. It doesn't matter which back it was, it's the high score that counts. Basically, best ball scoring for each team . . .MIN 17.89TEN 16.08CAR 16.06SDC 15.92PHI 15.62BAL 15.60JAX 15.29NOS 15.20MIA 14.91NYG 14.49IND 14.44ATL 14.08SFO 14.05NYJ 14.01DAL 13.44WAS 13.28HOU 13.23PIT 13.00STL 12.90BUF 12.88CLE 12.86GBP 12.84NEP 12.76DEN 12.11CHI 12.08OAK 11.93TBB 11.84ARI 11.60CIN 11.52DET 11.50KCC 11.39SEA 11.17I must admit that I thought the Patriots would have ranked higher on the list. Interesting that there are players with hype this year from 4 of the bottom 5 teams on the list.
Sammy Morris has always been solid. I am not sure why he is always slated behind Maroney. But my initial thoughts I'll stick with. I think Freddie is the man as long as he is healthy, which means for about 10 games. He had a bad reputation for being "fragile freddie" early in his career than became a workhorse. The last 1-2 years he has been injury-bitten again.

If I had to guess, I would say that Taylor will get on avg about 15 touches per game as long as he is healthy. BB loves him and he very well may be their most productive back, even at 33. I'll take a shot on him late.

I wouldn't want to draft a NE rb as my RB1/RB2 backs but I do have both Maroney and Taylor on my roster as a possible bye week filler. My logic was that NE is going to be scoring lots of points. Add to this that by week 8/9 (when my primary RB's have their bye weeks), the RB situation might be more established. If either one gets injured, I think the workload of the other improves. If Maroney is cut (I personally doubt this) he might get picked up in a better situation.

Bottom line, there is potential value in the NE running game - just don't count on it :hifive:
Agreed. Anyone relying on NE's backfield as a signigicant part of their team is in trouble but you can definitely get some spot production out of them if you pay close enough attention and manage your roster well.

My main league has deep rosters and limits on waiver wire pickups to encourage trading. I drafted Taylor and Morris late. Maroney went well before them but I figured the two old guys will be more productive than him anyways until one or both ends up hurt. Regardless I think you can do worse for your RB5 and 6. My problem is they are now my RB4 and RB5 with Hardesty going down.

But we'll see. I just hope one of these guys is healthy on the week or 2 that I have to call on them.

I since ran some numbers (well, Doug ran the numbers but I told him what numbers to run). Looking at all teams and counting only the highest scoring RB in each week, here's what the top scoring back on each team has averaged each week fantasy wise (0 ppr) over the past three seasons. It doesn't matter which back it was, it's the high score that counts. Basically, best ball scoring for each team . . .MIN 17.89TEN 16.08CAR 16.06SDC 15.92PHI 15.62BAL 15.60JAX 15.29NOS 15.20MIA 14.91NYG 14.49IND 14.44ATL 14.08SFO 14.05NYJ 14.01DAL 13.44WAS 13.28HOU 13.23PIT 13.00STL 12.90BUF 12.88CLE 12.86GBP 12.84NEP 12.76DEN 12.11CHI 12.08OAK 11.93TBB 11.84ARI 11.60CIN 11.52DET 11.50KCC 11.39SEA 11.17I must admit that I thought the Patriots would have ranked higher on the list. Interesting that there are players with hype this year from 4 of the bottom 5 teams on the list.
less than a quarter of a point off from Pitt. :blink:

If I had to guess, I would say that Taylor will get on avg about 15 touches per game as long as he is healthy. BB loves him and he very well may be their most productive back, even at 33. I'll take a shot on him late.
Taylor is actually 34 and will be 35 before the season ends. Morris is 33 and Faulk is also 34; basically every RB on the roster is well beyond the wrong side of 30 except for Maroney and the law firm (BG-E).I have a draft this weekend and am trying to determine if there is any value in any of the NE RB's. Usually I just go with what Yudkin has to say when it comes the the Pats, but I am scratching my head at his projections for Taylor and the talk of Maroney being in the dog house. Having seen 2 preseason games and highlights from the others, I can say without a doubt that none of them have looked particularly good, but Maroney is the only one to look even half way decent. Even on his 28 yard TD, Taylor was plodding and his legs looked spent. I see maybe a 5% chance for him to get through the season healthy if he gets anywhere near 15 carries a game; his body just doesn't seem willing. Morris I have always liked, but as far as I can tell he seems a step slower too and has had some injury issues of his own.So I guess the questions I have are two-fold: How does Fred Taylor see 10-15 carries per game being 34, having his injury history and looking slow in the preseason; and what is the perceived issue(s) that has Maroney in BB's dog house?

Taylor is actually 34 and will be 35 before the season ends. Morris is 33 and Faulk is also 34; basically every RB on the roster is well beyond the wrong side of 30 except for Maroney and the law firm (BG-E).I have a draft this weekend and am trying to determine if there is any value in any of the NE RB's. Usually I just go with what Yudkin has to say when it comes the the Pats, but I am scratching my head at his projections for Taylor and the talk of Maroney being in the dog house. Having seen 2 preseason games and highlights from the others, I can say without a doubt that none of them have looked particularly good, but Maroney is the only one to look even half way decent. Even on his 28 yard TD, Taylor was plodding and his legs looked spent. I see maybe a 5% chance for him to get through the season healthy if he gets anywhere near 15 carries a game; his body just doesn't seem willing. Morris I have always liked, but as far as I can tell he seems a step slower too and has had some injury issues of his own.So I guess the questions I have are two-fold: How does Fred Taylor see 10-15 carries per game being 34, having his injury history and looking slow in the preseason; and what is the perceived issue(s) that has Maroney in BB's dog house?
Taylor will be 35 right before the Super Bowl.Here were the preseason numbers for the backs . . .Maroney: 17-64-3.76-2Taylor: 15-59-3.93-1BJGE: 24-59-2.46-1Morris: 11-64-5.82-1

Routilla said:
David Yudkin said:
Happy Ragnarok said:

Really? It's easy. Just find yudkins take a day or two before the game. :goodposting:

Taylor will be 35 right before the Super Bowl.Here were the preseason numbers for the backs . . .Maroney: 17-64-3.76-2Taylor: 15-59-3.93-1BJGE: 24-59-2.46-1Morris: 11-64-5.82-1
This doesn't clarify anything. Taylor is still 34, all of them (outside of Morris) had poor averages and that includes a 28 yarder for Taylor in which he ran through an arm tackle where the defender forgot to use his arms and looked really bad in doing it. I'm not talking about numbers though. Clearly none of these guys gave a good eyeball audition, but Taylor's has been the worst. And what of this talk of Maroney supposedly being in the dog house? What is the genesis of this and do you consider it to be legit? We're talking about the only semi-qualified back on that squad that is south of 30 - 9 years Taylor's junior - and he is being overlooked in a big way. I am just curious as to why...Something tells me BB is smiling right now.

What are your thoughts on Green-Ellis? Will he ever get the opportunity to be a major factor in the running game in the future?

A week ago, Fred Taylor was on a radio show and he said BenJarvus has a really good chance to be a future star. He's just waiting for his opportunity.

Does he know something the public doesn't as far as his workload increase this year?

http://audio.weei.com/m/33940501/fred-taylor-patriots-rb.htm

at the 12 minute mark

It's doubtful he will ever have a meaningful role in NE. He is what he is . . . a lunch pail guy that runs hard but isn't very fast and has no moves. IMO, he's a dime a dozen as far as RBs go. If lots of other Pats backs get banged up, he could step in and do ok (like he's done in the past). He looks like an NFL depth guy to round out the roster. I doubt he will make a splash.

Users who are viewing this thread