What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New Page For Footballguys Rankings - 7.13.23 Update: Tiers Now Live (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Update 7.13.23 - Tier based rankings are now live.

Hi Folks,

The new Footballguys Rankings page is ready here.

We've done a lot of new things.

You can now easily have full control over all the Experts used to create the consensus.

As well as see all the experts you select displayed in columns so you can compare how different people rank players.

We have a new "Draft Mode" where you can use the online rankings to actually draft if you like from this page.

And of course we continue to feature the easy to use "Print Cheatsheet" feature that is now right on the rankings page. We love the app tools but we also love printed cheatsheets.

We have the Upside - Downside feature that we're still ironing out and I'm excited about it.

We have comments from our Experts available now for players right on the ranking page. Click the little blue text icon next to the player name.

And most importantly, we now allow people to input some of their league data like scoring, starting rosters, league size and more to create a custom ranking based on their situation. Gone are the days where a generic cheatsheet is enough.

@Simon Shepherd and the tech team have worked super hard to bring us what I think is the best ranking page possible. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Some have asked about the downside - upside feature. I think it'll be helpful at particular spots in the draft. When you want to be more aggressive or conservative with a pick.

It's not rocket science. Kirk Cousins has less upside and downside than Anthony Richardson. No kidding. But it's just one more piece of data we're giving our opinion on to help GMs make draft decisions.

I'm super interested too in how folks like or use the "Draft Mode".

We know lots of folks love our Printed Cheatsheets. I'm one.

And we know lots of folks love the Draft Dominator and Draft Dominator Classic apps. I'm one.

The Draft Mode on the Rankings page is sort of a middle ground there. It's not as complicated (nor powerful) as the Draft Dominator. But it's super useful. It's brand new and I'm interested to see if folks use it.

I'm also interested in how folks like to draft.

App?
Printed Cheatsheet?
Hybrid like draft mode on the new rankings?

What do you say?

a few observations. i looked at it on a Windows laptop (Chrome and Firefox browsers), so I don't know what it would look like on my phone yet.
  • easy to use, easy to navigate, very straight forward cheatsheet tool. I like that it's so simplified, I actually hope you don't add any functionality to it. the update when changing views or options is very fast.
  • there was a post on this the other day, would be nice to have a wr/te combo ranking option in this tool.
  • when looking at the view of rankings by position, the ADP updates to ADP by position, but if I look at rankings by contributor, those stay as overall rankings and not by position. as a made up example, Chase would be wr4 in the wr ranking view, adp updates to wr5, but the rankings by contributor portion would show something like #54, which is their overall rankings. should this update as well? would be nice to see the rankings just from Waldman, for example, by position side by side with Tremblays', etc.
  • love the blue box with the additional info by player.
for my draft, which is always in-person auction, sometimes we use online draft apps to keep track of it and sometimes we just use spreadsheets. I always have the classic version of DD open with my league setup to keep track of the draft myself so I can use it later to upload it to our host and just to have a record of it as the commish. been doing this as far back as when classic DD was the only DD. It's the perfect tool as far as I'm concerned and has the auction features that also track salaries.

this tool's "draft mode" seems to be just a checkbox so you can check it off as you go. I say "just" since there's no real functionality behind it that I can see other than an indicator. i like that as a straight forward cheatsheet.

I've never been able to get the Draft Dominator to effectively work for my league (kind of a hybrid keeper/dynasty league), so definitely interested in potentially using draft mode on the rankings.

Looks good from what I can see, but is there any way to get it to toggle out players who are already on a roster, or highlight those who aren't, once the page is synced to my league? When Draft Mode is turned off, players on my team are highlighted in yellow, and those who aren't currently on rosters are highlighted in blue. Would be very helpful to see the same thing when Draft Mode is on.

this tool's "draft mode" seems to be just a checkbox so you can check it off as you go. I say "just" since there's no real functionality behind it that I can see other than an indicator. i like that as a straight forward cheatsheet.

Thanks @Pigskin Fanatic Yes, it's essentially the same as a paper cheatsheet where you mark off the player as he's drafted. The Draft Dominator tools have lots of power and functionality. This is just a simple mark off.

I'm also interested in how folks like to draft.

App?
Printed Cheatsheet?
Hybrid like draft mode on the new rankings?

What do you say?

Current setup

1) FF Index hard copy

2) FBG Dominator on iPad with customized league settings

3) Laptop for web browsing/tracking draft

4) Additional monitor/screen for online draft

5) Hard copy printout of prior year's draft if applicable

6) Hard copy printout of my personal rankings/auction values and highlighter to identify players drafted

:football:

Do the Upside & Downside numbers mean something specific, or is it just a generic rating scale where higher=more? e.g., Is there something specific that it means for a player to have 2.7 Upside, or does it just tell us that he has less upside than a player ranked near him with 3.4 Upside and more than a player with 2.3 Upside?

Is there a reason the players showing on my league/team would be off? It had been right a couple of weeks ago, but, when I click to show my league now, it is highlighting players not on my team.

ETA: Maybe I needed to just do an extra refresh after picking league. A little bit of an extra step than under old, but looks better after I clicked that.

I always make a personal ranking of players and use a cheat sheet to scratch off names as they’re called. Also nice to highlight targets. I’m old school though.

Is there a reason the players showing on my league/team would be off? It had been right a couple of weeks ago, but, when I click to show my league now, it is highlighting players not on my team.

ETA: Maybe I needed to just do an extra refresh after picking league. A little bit of an extra step than under old, but looks better after I clicked that.

Hi @Don Quixote If a refresh doesn't do it, please check www.footballguys.com/help and click the "contact support" button and they'll do their best to help get things synched for you.

Do the Upside & Downside numbers mean something specific, or is it just a generic rating scale where higher=more? e.g., Is there something specific that it means for a player to have 2.7 Upside, or does it just tell us that he has less upside than a player ranked near him with 3.4 Upside and more than a player with 2.3 Upside?

Thanks @ZWK It's just a simple rating of 0-5 with zero being the least upside or downside and 5 the max.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZWK
And as I said above, we're still ironing out the process for this with our rankers. I still think we have too much upside for the top players based on where they are ranked. But we'll keep working on it. Of all the new changes this year, this one is probably the one I'm the least certain about the value it brings to the customer.

The general idea is Kirk Cousins has less upside and downside than Anthony Richardson but how that flows into other less obvious examples is something we'll continue to work out.

And as I said above, we're still ironing out the process for this with our rankers. I still think we have too much upside for the top players based on where they are ranked. But we'll keep working on it. Of all the new changes this year, this one is probably the one I'm the least certain about the value it brings to the customer.

The general idea is Kirk Cousins has less upside and downside than Anthony Richardson but how that flows into other less obvious examples is something we'll continue to work out.
I'm looking at the Upside/Downside to kind of gauge a player's range of outcomes, with the ranking as the baseline for the most likely outcome for a player.

Your sample of Kirk Cousins and Anthony RIchardson are good examples of this when looking at 2 players that are similarly ranked.

Based on historical performance and what we know of the team, we can generally be much more certain in what level of production Cousins will have. At this stage of his career, and with the team he has, he is very unlikely to suddenly have a breakout and throw for 45+ TDs or start having significant rushing upside. 3 straight years with 4200-4500 yards and 30-35 TDs and maybe 100 or so rushing yards. He is your prototypical definition of a safe floor player with some upside, but unlikely to be a top 5 QB.

Richardson is your prototypical high risk/high reward player. Limited college production, brand new situation in Indy. On the upside, he may pair RB1 type rushing stats with above average passing numbers and give you a top 3-4 QB season ala prime Vick. On the downside, he may completely poop the bed as a passer and not be able to evade NFL level defenders, and give you next to nothing. This is why his downside is the 3rd highest of all of the top 30 QBs, with the two riskier QBs being the ones coming off of significant injuries, and his upside is the highest of the top 30 QBs.

Just extra factors that can be considered, and hopefully as it is fine tuned, it can be a little more useful than up/down arrow indicators that I have seen other sites use in the past to indicate players with significant upside or risk.

One enhancement that could be considered related to this, would be to possibly display the players projected points based on the site projections and the selected scoring system on the rankings page. Even better perhaps would be to display a range as I know you have multiple projections that are used - a low end, the median and the high end. This may help better frame the upside/downside values.

Not sure if I am doing something wrong, but the linebackers are ranked in alphabetical order. The DL and DB are fine though.

RANKPLAYERAGEEXPBYEADP BestBall10s CBS Consensus ESPN MFL NFFC RT Sports Sleeper (Dynasty) Sleeper Underdog RANK
VS ADP
About Downside & Upside
DOWNSIDE
UPSIDE
1Matthew Adams CLE2755-u/r
2Azeez Al-Shaair TEN254713+11
3Troy Andersen ATL24111-u/r
4Alex Anzalone DET2869-u/r
5Brian Asamoah II MIN2311327+22
6Markus Bailey CIN2637-u/r

Definitely something wrong there. The LBs are showing properly for me:

A consensus of 23/23 experts EDIT
RANK
PLAYERAGEEXPBYEADP BestBall10s CBS Consensus ESPN MFL NFFC RT Sports Sleeper (Dynasty) Sleeper Underdog RANK
VS ADP
About Downside & Upside
DOWNSIDE
UPSIDEExperts
1Foyesade Oluokun JAX2759-u/r
2Nick Bolton KC23210-u/r
3Roquan Smith BAL26513-u/r
4C.J. Mosley NYJ3197-u/r
5Devin White TB2545-u/r
6Zaire Franklin IND26511-u/r

Can you please go to www.footballguys.com/help and click contact support and they'll ask for a few bits of information from you and they'll do their best to see what's causing that for you.

Not sure if I am doing something wrong, but the linebackers are ranked in alphabetical order. The DL and DB are fine though.

RANKPLAYERAGEEXPBYEADP BestBall10s CBS Consensus ESPN MFL NFFC RT Sports Sleeper (Dynasty) Sleeper Underdog RANK
VS ADP
About Downside & Upside
DOWNSIDE
UPSIDE
1Matthew Adams CLE2755-u/r
2Azeez Al-Shaair TEN254713+11
3Troy Andersen ATL24111-u/r
4Alex Anzalone DET2869-u/r
5Brian Asamoah II MIN2311327+22
6Markus Bailey CIN2637-u/r

Definitely something wrong there. The LBs are showing properly for me:

A consensus of 23/23 experts EDIT
RANK
PLAYERAGEEXPBYEADP BestBall10s CBS Consensus ESPN MFL NFFC RT Sports Sleeper (Dynasty) Sleeper Underdog RANK
VS ADP
About Downside & Upside
DOWNSIDE
UPSIDEExperts
1Foyesade Oluokun JAX2759-u/r
2Nick Bolton KC23210-u/r
3Roquan Smith BAL26513-u/r
4C.J. Mosley NYJ3197-u/r
5Devin White TB2545-u/r
6Zaire Franklin IND26511-u/r

Can you please go to www.footballguys.com/help and click contact support and they'll ask for a few bits of information from you and they'll do their best to see what's causing that for you.
Thanks Joe. So I went back to the rankings to see if I could figure it out. This is only happening when I choose one of my dynasty leagues form the drop down, it is fine for my other leagues. Looking even closer, that league is listed twice in my leagues. For one iteration, it ranks the LB as above but for the other iteration, they are ranked correctly.

Thanks Joe. So I went back to the rankings to see if I could figure it out. This is only happening when I choose one of my dynasty leagues form the drop down, it is fine for my other leagues. Looking even closer, that league is listed twice in my leagues. For one iteration, it ranks the LB as above but for the other iteration, they are ranked correctly.

Thanks @JoeSteeler That's odd for sure. If you'll check in with our folks at www.footballguys.com/help they will try to guide you there. I'm guessing it'll involve deleting one of the leagues but not certain. Thanks.

The LBs are fine for me. One thing is that it says I can't import my league, which is a bummer, but I know who's on my team, so I don't really mind.

The LBs are fine for me. One thing is that it says I can't import my league, which is a bummer, but I know who's on my team, so I don't really mind.

Thanks. Let them know at www.footballguys.com/help by clicking "contact support" if you can't import your league. There are a few formats it doesn't import but for the vast majority of leagues, they import smoothly.

Thanks. Let them know at www.footballguys.com/help by clicking "contact support" if you can't import your league. There are a few formats it doesn't import but for the vast majority of leagues, they import smoothly.

I went back and clicked around and solved the problem. Thanks, Joe. Looks good! One of my teams, on the other hand, could use some work. Not enough yellow bars in the top one hundred. Heh. But we appreciate the rankings efforts and the customization. Your staff have done an excellent job.

I'm also seeing some of the issues with LBs, and highlighting teams in my league. I have already notified help.

There are also similar issues with the player projections page for LBs. And the export feature only gives players on Offense.

This is really good stuff, thanks @Joe Bryant. I'll likely still use the draft dominator, but maybe this will work in one of my leagues. In that league, it drafts fast and has a 60 second max time per pick. I used DD last year (my first) and couldn't keep up entering picks and timed out twice. Can't let that happen again this year.

I'm also seeing some of the issues with LBs, and highlighting teams in my league. I have already notified help.

There are also similar issues with the player projections page for LBs. And the export feature only gives players on Offense.
If you copy the export link (right click on the button) and edit offence to idp then you will get a downloadable copy until they fix it... https://www.footballguys.com/projections/download?group=idp&dur=preseason&projectorid=-1&week=0

This is really good stuff, thanks @Joe Bryant. I'll likely still use the draft dominator, but maybe this will work in one of my leagues. In that league, it drafts fast and has a 60 second max time per pick. I used DD last year (my first) and couldn't keep up entering picks and timed out twice. Can't let that happen again this year.

Thanks @Down Under ! Hope you crush it this year.

Another one - we added colors for each position in the Position column in the Overall View.

It's nice when looking at the overall to quickly scan and see what positions jump out. Like if you're looking for a TE, they are blue where RBs are Green.

Another small one but one that. makes it more clear. We changed the "standard" scoring button to day "Non-PPR". With so many people using PPR now, it wasn't always clear what we meant by "Standard".

And another new feature dropping today: Team QB and Team Kicker. This is a small number of leagues that play this way but for a couple of years folks have asked and we were able to add it this year.

It does make a big difference on teams like San Francisco where Team QB is ranked much higher than Purdy and Lance individually today.

Any plans for some fresh auction content?
This new rankings page will soon have salary cap values. Expect those sometime next week.
That would be great. Love the new look and features of the rankings. Any chance the salary cap values will include average auction values the same way ADP is used for the straight rankings?
The problem with average auction values is that they're just so difficult to collate.

With ADP, we have a few places that we can go where we know a bunch of leagues are regularly run with the exact same settings.

I don't know of a place where we can get good data to share with you guys here.

Salary Cap/Auction values are now available here: https://www.footballguys.com/salary-cap-auction-values

The Cheatsheets support these also.
Thanks Simon. The auction values will be helpful.

Please direct me if I have missed this... but the one major thing that appears to be missing from the new ranking format is the ability to see the table with the rank each individual expert had on players. I have always found that invaluable. Primarily to focus on the experts I most trusted. But also to note the anomalies. I take note when I see a player ranked particularly higher or lower by an expert (especially those I trust the most).

In some cases, we also used to be able to hover over the individual expert rankings in the table for a pop up window that provided context to why they ranked the player where they did.

Are those options gone? Coming soon? Or please direct me if there is a method to view them I am not aware of.

Thanks again

Salary Cap/Auction values are now available here: https://www.footballguys.com/salary-cap-auction-values

The Cheatsheets support these also.
Thanks Simon. The auction values will be helpful.

Please direct me if I have missed this... but the one major thing that appears to be missing from the new ranking format is the ability to see the table with the rank each individual expert had on players. I have always found that invaluable. Primarily to focus on the experts I most trusted. But also to note the anomalies. I take note when I see a player ranked particularly higher or lower by an expert (especially those I trust the most).

In some cases, we also used to be able to hover over the individual expert rankings in the table for a pop up window that provided context to why they ranked the player where they did.

Are those options gone? Coming soon? Or please direct me if there is a method to view them I am not aware of.

Thanks again
You can get this back by clicking “add experts” in the top right of the table

Hi @J Giles Band No, those options are not gone. They're just moved so they're better and easier to compare notes. On the rankings page https://www.footballguys.com/rankings/duration/preseason you may see a little blue text bubble to the right of the players name and team. If you click on that, you'll see all the comments by the rankers and the dates the comment were written. Makes it much easier to compare and get all the comments in one place.

Really disappointed that the projection page features aren't working. I have my only draft starting Monday and my most needed tool isn't available. Yes I did ping the help desk and they said it would be a week for it to be complete. :sadbanana:

Users who are viewing this thread