What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (2 Viewers)

So.... if I were to look for an alcove studio or possibly a one bedroom in the city, what am I looking at price wise for someplace decent? North of 3k a month, or can it be done for less? For a one bedroom, we pushing $3,500? I honestly have no ####### idea of the Manhattan rental market in terms of specifics now that most folks have aged out to the burbs or are in BK. 

Flexible as to the neighborhood, but let's assume its at least a good area and probably West Side or other easy access to Penn since I would need to be back to Long Island and Amtrak up/down the corridor often.  
You should be fine with that $3kish budget.  Going to be tough in West Village but spots like Hells Kitchen and Chelsea should provide some options near Penn.

Probably one of the most disgustingly humid days in a long time today.
Really awful weather today.  Of course the PATH was late today so I got to spend an extra 10 minutes in the oven that is a subway station with about 1,000 other people.  That was followed by the pleasure of being on a ridiculously packed train. 

You should be fine with that $3kish budget.  Going to be tough in West Village but spots like Hells Kitchen and Chelsea should provide some options near Penn.
Yeah, I was thinking Chelsea-ish type places might work. 

So.... if I were to look for an alcove studio or possibly a one bedroom in the city, what am I looking at price wise for someplace decent? North of 3k a month, or can it be done for less? For a one bedroom, we pushing $3,500? I honestly have no ####### idea of the Manhattan rental market in terms of specifics now that most folks have aged out to the burbs or are in BK. 

Flexible as to the neighborhood, but let's assume its at least a good area and probably West Side or other easy access to Penn since I would need to be back to Long Island and Amtrak up/down the corridor often.  
Download the StreetEasy app... 

$3k gets you a pretty nice studio in new buildings across most neighborhoods.

Itll get you a decent 1BR too in more specific neighborhoods.

Was in Manhattan for two days last week. Thanks to this board ate at Tony deNapoli with the fam - great meal. The Chicken Parm was outstanding. Also found time to get a late night bite at the Halal Guys cart. Always amazing. :thumbup:

Yes, today was ####### gross! 
My sunglasses steamed up as soon as I walked out of my building. I've only had that happen in Florida, also around this time of year. 

Pregnant wife is making good use of $5 Uber Pool rides between PA and her Union Square area office in this weather.

I start my new job on Monday. It's my first 5 day a week suit job and it's hot and humid as hell. Oh and it's half a block from Trump Tower and all the hijinks we are going to to see the next few months. :hifive:

I start my new job on Monday. It's my first 5 day a week suit job and it's hot and humid as hell. Oh and it's half a block from Trump Tower and all the hijinks we are going to to see the next few months. :hifive:
congrats! really glad to hear this... and looking forward to hearing more. still overdue for lunch or drinks- would love to catch up.

in the mean time, our office A/C has been off and on the last week, so there's that. found ourselves opening the windows because the inside temp was more then outside. :loco:  

congrats! really glad to hear this... and looking forward to hearing more. still overdue for lunch or drinks- would love to catch up.

in the mean time, our office A/C has been off and on the last week, so there's that. found ourselves opening the windows because the inside temp was more then outside. :loco:  
You guys should jump all over the new COO about that bull ####. A more expensive one would have that AC up and running by lunch. 

It's cheaper to get Dominican food from the restaurant down the block than to make it myself. I can't decide if that's amazing, terrifying, or both.

Renting an apt in the East Village for 4 nights next month off Ave C on E. 11th st. We want to scope out this neighborhood as a possible "Sunbird" escape. As Floridians we want to go to the city for possibly 30-60 days every fall. Just gonna explore on foot or city bikes this trip. We've already done most of the midtown/uptown touristy stuff. We like Irish pubs, bookstores, art galleries, cool bars and the laid back bohemian vibe.

We also will do the 911 memorial one day. I have Upstate and Supper already on the eats list. We'll probably also go see the Neo Futurists and Stomp shows.

Watcha got?

Last edited by a moderator:
Renting an apt in the East Village for 4 nights next month off Ave C on E. 11th st. We want to scope out this neighborhood as a possible "Sunbird" escape. As Floridians we want to go to the city for possibly 30-60 days every fall. Just gonna explore on foot or city bikes this trip. We've already done most of the midtown/uptown touristy stuff. We like Irish pubs, bookstores, art galleries, cool bars and the laid back bohemian vibe.

We also will do the 911 memorial one day. I have Upstate and Supper already on the eats list. We'll probably also go see the Neo Futurists and Stomp shows.

Watcha got?
My good friend bartender most nights at 11th St bar. Good Live music there a lot too.  Cool place to hit before and after you head out. 

Watcha got?
I used to live a bit west on 10th st (btw 1/2 ave).  Love the area.  Lots of restaurants and bars on that strip of Ave C.  Esperanto was a staple for me.  Good food and drink, fun atmosphere and won't kill the bank.  Good brunch as well.  

I used to live a bit west on 10th st (btw 1/2 ave).  Love the area.  Lots of restaurants and bars on that strip of Ave C.  Esperanto was a staple for me.  Good food and drink, fun atmosphere and won't kill the bank.  Good brunch as well.  
Sounds good, we'll check Esperanto out. Any pastrami sandwich deli recommends in the area (probably everywhere)?

Sounds good, we'll check Esperanto out. Any pastrami sandwich deli recommends in the area (probably everywhere)?
You're less than a mile from Katz's. Don't #### around. 

Zum Schneider is a fun laid back beer hall type place close to where you'll be. Poco has good cheap HH/brunch/sangria but admittedly may be a younger crowd than you're going for. 

You're less than a mile from Katz's. Don't #### around. 

Zum Schneider is a fun laid back beer hall type place close to where you'll be. Poco has good cheap HH/brunch/sangria but admittedly may be a younger crowd than you're going for. 
poco is crap, IMO. but bottomless brunch and less of a line than Clinton St Bakery.

big fan of Zum, especially if Germany's playing.

pastrami? yeah- Katz's is an absolute.

Watcha got?
yeah- Pastrami= Katz's.

re: spot for thursday game... a ton of the EVil west of C turned into sports bars, so it's pretty unlimited for you. not scene at all, so I can't give you spefic or good advice about where- I do know a couple of spots closer to me- Croxley's (B, 2nd and 3rd) and a new spot.. Greyson?Grafton? on 1st Ave and 2nd are both very specifically set up for sports with tons of tvs and probably big screens. there are also a lot of bars that cater to specific teams (finnerty's= SF, kelly's= Bills, etc), so if you care you could probably track one of those down too.

Slainte is a popular irish spot on bowery and 1st-ish. 

any other specific types of food you want besides italian, raw and jewish deli? I've been all over Kiki's (greek) lately down low in the LES. 

I've always loved the blocks between A and 2nd ave on 7th through 10th street... tons of shops, bars, restaurants, foot-traffic. I usually avoid st marks (8th st) because I'm a curmudgeon and there are too many kids and things that cater to kids.

the LES (below Houston) from Clinton (ave B) to Allen (1st ave) is hugely busy with nightlife. 

our vet is at 10th and C- so I know that specific area only occasionally and during the day... definitely some spots for food and cafes. keep in mind the projects are right there on C and 11th too, so don't be a ####### like most of the transplants and tourists- you should be fine, but stay vigilant.

oh yeah... citibike- definitely do it. I love these things (daily commuter).

helmets arent' required (but don't sue if you fall down and hit your head like the guy from CT).

riding on the sidewalk is illegal- please don't ever do this.

also, please don't ride the wrong way down 1-way streets. it's fairly common, but the most common cause of accidents I've seen.

I'm personally fine with running red lights, as long as you don't make any pedestrians or drivers have to blink while going through their green light.

get the app so you know where stations are and if there are available bikes or spots.

oh yeah... citibike- definitely do it. I love these things (daily commuter).
One thing I don't get about citibike is the time frames. If I have a day pass and want to ride for say an hour do I have to stop before the first 30 minutes, check the bike in and then hop back on it to avoid the additional charges? Seems like citibike has come a long way since our last visit a few years ago- tons of unused bikes everywhere, now it seems it is hard to find one in certain areas.

Also, regarding St. Marks I thought it was like head shops and sex shops or adult only type of shopping. I saw on tripadvisor all of the mommies cautioning that it may not be a suitable area for kids (which would be right up our alley). I'm a bit of a curmudgeon myself but in a cynical, have some fun way. I know about the Physical Graffiti album cover being shot there and the hippy, junkie history. 

One thing I don't get about citibike is the time frames. If I have a day pass and want to ride for say an hour do I have to stop before the first 30 minutes, check the bike in and then hop back on it to avoid the additional charges? Seems like citibike has come a long way since our last visit a few years ago- tons of unused bikes everywhere, now it seems it is hard to find one in certain areas.

Also, regarding St. Marks I thought it was like head shops and sex shops or adult only type of shopping. I saw on tripadvisor all of the mommies cautioning that it may not be a suitable area for kids (which would be right up our alley). I'm a bit of a curmudgeon myself but in a cynical, have some fun way. I know about the Physical Graffiti album cover being shot there and the hippy, junkie history. 
st marks is highschool kids. it's not like it's dangerous- just annoying, in the way hs kids are annoying (thoughtless, loud, inconsiderate, dirty... annoying). head-shops, pizza parlors, t-shirt shops, etc- not really stuff for grown-ups... but the stretch from A to 1st is better than the other two blocks. reagardless- its a non-issue... it's only a couple of blocks, easily avoided or quickly walked through.

citibikes- yeah, you've got it. with the day pass, you're good for 30 minutes at a time before having to dock the bike.

with the year pass, I have to wait 2 minutes before taking out a new bike... probalby the same with the day pass. I don't think this is going to be an issue for you- during the day there are lots of bikes available in most places. rush-hour is when bikes get harder to find and to dock. fwiw- on A and 7th, between 7-10pm, they have a valet constantly clearing out docks- so if you find yourself looking, just go there instead. (edit... tbh, I'm not sure what the etiquette is on docking and taking out the same bike, especially if somebody's waiting... I've seen people "claim" the bike they've just docked- and I'm not going to argue with them- seems a little dickish to me, though)

also- there are finally stations all the way up to 110th street on both sides of the park, so you can conceivably ride up to the museums and central park.

for a sense of time, fwiw- takes me 20ish minutes to get from Houston & A up to work at 39th and 5th... but I ride fast (as fast as the citibike allows, which isn't very).

9th st is a good west-bound bike lane... 10th is good for heading east. 1st ave has the only legitimate bike lane on the east side (goes all the way uptown). 2nd ave comes down, but only starts below the midtown tunnel (33rd-ish street). 8th and 9th aves are dedicated up/downtown bike lanes on the west side, 6th ave is the oldest and sketchiest uptown bikelane, narrow and rife with doubleparked trucks/uber, pedestrians, wrong way people... sucks.

what a GLORIOUS effin' break from Swampass season ... simply a top 5 weather day, no question  :thumbup:

now, if only those friggin' Chemtrails over the East River weren't marring a perfect blue sky   :shrug:

what a GLORIOUS effin' break from Swampass season ... simply a top 5 weather day, no question  :thumbup:

now, if only those friggin' Chemtrails over the East River weren't marring a perfect blue sky   :shrug:
This morning was still brutal but the humidity vanished between 8am and 12pm. 

This morning was still brutal but the humidity vanished between 8am and 12pm. 
started my day with a 5 A.M. run ... was considerably more comfortable than any day the past week - inasmuch that i was not drenched in sweat and swamptaint after three minutes   :X

These are the days summers on LI, Jeepin' around, are made of.  Finding excuses just to drive around, top down. Mobile office is in full effect today.

speaking of brutal- anybody else get this bug that's been going around (2x coworkers and both kids got it)? low grade fever, achey, exhausted... been going on since last friday for me. thought I was done today, but I just hit a wall... again.

but yeah- having this last weekend and trying to still take the kids around (went to the keith haring mural pool on Clarkson) was brutal. being on a jobsite in demo with no a/c.. even worse. contractor looked at me after 30 minutes and said- "ok... we're going to a cafe for some a/c- you look like ####"

It was so hot last weekend that I don't remember if I already posted that I didn't leave my building from about 10pm Friday night to when I left for work on Monday morning (a couple in building gym trips in there, thank you very much).  

It was so hot last weekend that I don't remember if I already posted that I didn't leave my building from about 10pm Friday night to when I left for work on Monday morning (a couple in building gym trips in there, thank you very much).  
it was so hot that our local pool (hamilton fish- 50yard pool and really big kiddie pool next to it), the water was actually hot to the touch. and paaaacked.

Koya said:
These are the days summers on LI, Jeepin' around, are made of.  Finding excuses just to drive around, top down. Mobile office is in full effect today.
as glorious as the City was, I am sure the Island was that much more heavenly  :thumbup:

and, mutha#### -  do I miss my droptop  :(

I finally went to see Hamilton and though most of the original cast is all gone it was amazing.  I had great seats which luckily weren't to expensive as my wife had bought the tickets in October (which is shocking in and of itself).

I finally went to see Hamilton and though most of the original cast is all gone it was amazing.  I had great seats which luckily weren't to expensive as my wife had bought the tickets in October (which is shocking in and of itself).
I have absolutely zero desire to see this.  Maybe because I hate musicals in general, but I am not even curious.  I don't want to be in the room, nor any room close by.

I have absolutely zero desire to see this.  Maybe because I hate musicals in general, but I am not even curious.  I don't want to be in the room, nor any room close by.
I am not into musicals but I do think this is probably the best broadway show I have ever seen. I am a huge history buff and liked it from that angle as I read the book it is based on over a decade ago (but would add this is clearly a work of fiction).  Would I spend a $1,000 a set (hell no) but the face value I paid for seats were well worth it.

Anyone else see it?  

I have a pair of tix in March and another in May, 3rd and 4th row of side Orchestra respectively thanks to the Amex Platinum Concierge sale a couple months ago. Baby set to arrive in early Feb so I imagine we're more likely to go to the May show. 

I have a pair of tix in March and another in May, 3rd and 4th row of side Orchestra respectively thanks to the Amex Platinum Concierge sale a couple months ago. Baby set to arrive in early Feb so I imagine we're more likely to go to the May show. 
baby's going to be, what- a month in march? just take it with you.

st marks is highschool kids. it's not like it's dangerous- just annoying, in the way hs kids are annoying (thoughtless, loud, inconsiderate, dirty... annoying). head-shops, pizza parlors, t-shirt shops, etc- not really stuff for grown-ups... but the stretch from A to 1st is better than the other two blocks. reagardless- its a non-issue... it's only a couple of blocks, easily avoided or quickly walked through.

citibikes- yeah, you've got it. with the day pass, you're good for 30 minutes at a time before having to dock the bike.

with the year pass, I have to wait 2 minutes before taking out a new bike... probalby the same with the day pass. I don't think this is going to be an issue for you- during the day there are lots of bikes available in most places. rush-hour is when bikes get harder to find and to dock. fwiw- on A and 7th, between 7-10pm, they have a valet constantly clearing out docks- so if you find yourself looking, just go there instead. (edit... tbh, I'm not sure what the etiquette is on docking and taking out the same bike, especially if somebody's waiting... I've seen people "claim" the bike they've just docked- and I'm not going to argue with them- seems a little dickish to me, though)

also- there are finally stations all the way up to 110th street on both sides of the park, so you can conceivably ride up to the museums and central park.

for a sense of time, fwiw- takes me 20ish minutes to get from Houston & A up to work at 39th and 5th... but I ride fast (as fast as the citibike allows, which isn't very).

9th st is a good west-bound bike lane... 10th is good for heading east. 1st ave has the only legitimate bike lane on the east side (goes all the way uptown). 2nd ave comes down, but only starts below the midtown tunnel (33rd-ish street). 8th and 9th aves are dedicated up/downtown bike lanes on the west side, 6th ave is the oldest and sketchiest uptown bikelane, narrow and rife with doubleparked trucks/uber, pedestrians, wrong way people... sucks.
I still haven't picked up the citibike pass but I'm thinking about it now with the new horrible subway commute. How hard is it going to be to hump one of these things over an east river bridge?  

Ive done the Wburgh a lot... very easy. Brooklyn probably packed all the time. Dunno about manhattan. Wheres your office again?

Users who are viewing this thread