What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL Draft 2014: Is this the best group of receivers we've seen sin (2 Viewers)

What I will likely do right before the draft is take each list posted in the thread and form an average of each list for one overall master list. So if anyone has a good list you would like to add to these please post those here as well.
Well Arif Hasan has already beat me to that (with more info) and has collected a nice data base of players from a wide variety of good sources in his article here- http://vikingsterritory.com/2014/nfl-draft-2014/2014-nfl-draft-consensus-top-200-big-board-from-34-experts-forecasters-vs-evaluators#more-5954

Thanks Arif!

So using the Full Consensus Board (weighting the evaluators 67% and the forecasters 33%) I extracted the skill position players from the top 200 board.

Here is the WR list-

5 Sammy Watkins SE 1 Clemson

11 Mike Evans SE 2 Texas A&M

18 Odell Beckham SE 3 LSU

24 Marqise Lee SE 4 Southern California
25 Brandin Cooks SL 1 Oregon State

39 Kelvin Benjamin SE 5 Florida State
40 Allen Robinson FL 1 Penn State
41 Jordan Matthews SE 6 Vanderbilt
44 Davante Adams FL 2 Fresno State

54 Jarvis Landry FL 3 LSU

71 Donte Moncrief SE 7 Ole Miss

87 Paul Richardson SE 8 Colorado
88 Jared Abbrederis FL 4 Wisconsin

93 Martavis Bryant SE 9 Clemson
94 Bruce Ellington SL 2 South Carolina

99 Cody Latimer SE 10 Indiana

104 Brandon Coleman SE 11 Rutgers
105 Josh Huff SL 3 Oregon

135 Robert Herron SL 4 Wyoming

149 Jalen Saunders SL 5 Oklahoma
154 Kevin Norwood FL 5 Alabama

174 Cody Hoffman SE 12 Brigham Young
175 Devin Street SE 13 Pittsburgh
176 T.J. Jones SL 6 Notre Dame
177 Jeff Janis SE 14 Saginaw Valley

186 Mike Davis SE 15 Texas
187 Shaquelle Evans SE 16 UCLA

199 Michael Campanaro SL 7 Wake Forest

Bill Polian just said on ESPN that 64% of WR drafted in rounds 1 and 2 fail in the NFL. With as many guys as there are in the class with 1 or 2 round grades, who fails?

Watkins

M. Evans

Lee

OBJ

D. Adams

Cooks

Mathews

Robinson

Benjamin

Latimer

Moncrief

Bryant

Pick the 7 that "fail."

What would be the definition of failing?

According to Toni Villiotti's article here- http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Draft-probabilities-by-position.html

The percentage of WR who start 5 years in their career is a bit below the average for all positions

Pick 1-13 61.5% avg 71.3%

Pick 14-24 55% avg 63%

Pick 25-46 26% avg 48.2%

Pick 47-73 24.5% avg 33.6%

So the success rate (5 years as a starter) is lower than the average of the other positions. But not really that bad of a drop in success except for the Pick 25-46 area.

Other studies use pro bowls or statistical thresholds to determine if the player was a success or bust. I am not sure about what would be the best way to define this.

Not sure what he considered failing or where he might have gotten the stat. Just know he said it and followed it up with "buyer beware."

Well it has been pretty well documented that WR are more risky than other positions. So certainly you want to be aware of that.

Picking seven players from your list above that will fail would be difficult. Most likely several of them will. 40% of the guys drafted top 13 do not manage to start for 5 seasons. It gets worse from there. Some of those starts may not be quality starts either. So evaluating based on expected VBD would be a way to narrow this group further. Just waiting to know where the landing spots are.

The draft is almost here so of course all of those WR are potential, many will fail due to injuries or other issues. But most of the players you listed look very promising and worth lottery tickets to find out.

Last edited by a moderator:
If forced to pick, the 5 I'd feel best about succeeding would be;

Watkins

Adams

Latimer

Lee

OBJ

It's a very difficult task to try and do, though.

Well I do not really think any of them will bust at this point in time. However if I ranked them by which WR I think carries the most risk of failing they would look like this-

Bryant

Benjamin
Latimer
Moncrief

Robinson

Cooks

Lee

D. Adams
OBJ

M. Evans
Mathews

Watkins

Bill Polian just said on ESPN that 64% of WR drafted in rounds 1 and 2 fail in the NFL. With as many guys as there are in the class with 1 or 2 round grades, who fails?

Watkins

M. Evans

Lee

OBJ

D. Adams

Cooks

Mathews

Robinson

Benjamin

Latimer

Moncrief

Bryant

Pick the 7 that "fail."
In order of most likely to fail

Benjamin- Old/project= bad combination

Moncrief- never really produced in college

Bryant-hands suck

OBJ-second best WR on his team and now he's top ten?

Latimer- I like him I just like the others a little better

Adams- inflated stats got crushed when he played USC

Lee- I like him but I was pretty disappointed in his height and weight at the combine.

I'm sure you know this but just because 60%+ of the wr taken in the first two rounds have busted historically doesn't mean 60%+ will in this draft.

Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

The league has become progressively more geared to the passing game building over the past decade (and before that as well). I think there is more opportunity for WR now than there was a decade or longer ago.

I think it is something to be aware of, but I would not predict 40% will fail to start 5 seasons out of how many guys taken top 13? 3? Could there be more than 3 WR taken in the top 13? Seems unlikely. So you are just going to toss one of those guys in the chipper because that has been the trend before?

It seems better to just consider that all 3 of them (or however many of them it will be) have a 40% of not making it, but that those 3 have a better chance than the guys drafted after them do.

You have to look at it in a relative sense also.

For picks 1-13 the average was only 10% better success rate than the WR position. If you are using this to determine value between the WR and RB/TE/QB positions then you would want to consider each of those success rates relative to the WR. I assure you these positions are no picnic either, and the average is inflated somewhat by linemen who have a high success rate.

I'm not going to exclude the fact that maybe this class bucks the general rule. They certainly could, perhaps even by a decent margin. It's a sobering reality that many need to get used to, however. At a 50% hit rate this class would greatly outperform the historic norm and that would still highly underperform FF expectations. Hope springs eternal from now until these guys take the field. Disappointment is part of the game and we need to recognize that even the surest of guys we see now, Watkins, still carry a realitively high bust factor in the grand scheme of things.

I'm not going to exclude the fact that maybe this class bucks the general rule. They certainly could, perhaps even by a decent margin. It's a sobering reality that many need to get used to, however. At a 50% hit rate this class would greatly outperform the historic norm and that would still highly underperform FF expectations. Hope springs eternal from now until these guys take the field. Disappointment is part of the game and we need to recognize that even the surest of guys we see now, Watkins, still carry a realitively high bust factor in the grand scheme of things.

Watkins

M. Evans

Lee

OBJ

D. Adams

Cooks

Mathews

Robinson

Benjamin

Latimer

Moncrief

Bryant

Pick the 7 that "fail."
So 64% of them will fail - so why do some people value WR so highly in dynasty rookie drafts?

Why spend a high pick on a 64% fail rate? Go for a RB and find WRs later and on the waiver wire......

Watkins

M. Evans

Lee

OBJ

D. Adams

Cooks

Mathews

Robinson

Benjamin

Latimer

Moncrief

Bryant

Pick the 7 that "fail."
So 64% of them will fail - so why do some people value WR so highly in dynasty rookie drafts?

Why spend a high pick on a 64% fail rate? Go for a RB and find WRs later and on the waiver wire......
I'd say the bust rate on 1st round RB's has been even worse in recent history.

Watkins

M. Evans

Lee

OBJ

D. Adams

Cooks

Mathews

Robinson

Benjamin

Latimer

Moncrief

Bryant

Pick the 7 that "fail."

I don't know about that? It would be interesting to actually look at the stats on that...

The upside of hitting on a RB is higher than hitting on a WR..... If you hit on a RB they have more trade value - unless you are in a start 4-5 WR league or a league that has flex positions....

Watkins

M. Evans

Lee

OBJ

D. Adams

Cooks

Mathews

Robinson

Benjamin

Latimer

Moncrief

Bryant

Pick the 7 that "fail."
I think Watkins, Beckham, Lee, and Robinson are least likely to be total flops. Doesn't mean they're the best FF commodities of the bunch, but to me they have the highest floors. Even then there's bust risk though. For example Lee has his drops and durability issues. Then you have guys like Charles Rogers and (potentially) Justin Blackmon failing for reasons that are entirely unrelated to their football ability. Maybe OBJ or Latimer has a bad booze or drug habit that we don't know about yet. Point being, it won't all come down to ability. Guys will get injured. Guys will take the money and phone in their careers ala Rashaun Woods. I wonder what players like Charles Rogers, Reggie Williams, and Rashaun Woods could've done if they actually committed themselves or what Malcolm Kelly and Terrence Murphy might have been without the injuries.

Watkins

M. Evans

Lee

OBJ

D. Adams

Cooks

Mathews

Robinson

Benjamin

Latimer

Moncrief

Bryant

Pick the 7 that "fail."
What's his definition of "fail"? And how many did so other than character concerns?

Watkins

M. Evans

Lee

OBJ

D. Adams

Cooks

Mathews

Robinson

Benjamin

Latimer

Moncrief

Bryant

Pick the 7 that "fail."
So 64% of them will fail - so why do some people value WR so highly in dynasty rookie drafts?Why spend a high pick on a 64% fail rate? Go for a RB and find WRs later and on the waiver wire......
I don't know about that? It would be interesting to actually look at the stats on that...The upside of hitting on a RB is higher than hitting on a WR..... If you hit on a RB they have more trade value - unless you are in a start 4-5 WR league or a league that has flex positions....
Pretty easy to look into. Look how many (NFL) 1st round RB's have been worth the pick in the last 5-6 years. If anything, it seems like 1st round WR's are busting less and less as time goes on.As for the trade value thing, I disagree but it's obvious we play in different formats. It's 2014, don't most people here play in leagues that have flexes and allow you to start 4-5 WR's?

Watkins

M. Evans

Lee

OBJ

D. Adams

Cooks

Mathews

Robinson

Benjamin

Latimer

Moncrief

Bryant

Pick the 7 that "fail."
So 64% of them will fail - so why do some people value WR so highly in dynasty rookie drafts?Why spend a high pick on a 64% fail rate? Go for a RB and find WRs later and on the waiver wire......
I don't know about that? It would be interesting to actually look at the stats on that...The upside of hitting on a RB is higher than hitting on a WR..... If you hit on a RB they have more trade value - unless you are in a start 4-5 WR league or a league that has flex positions....
Pretty easy to look into. Look how many (NFL) 1st round RB's have been worth the pick in the last 5-6 years. If anything, it seems like 1st round WR's are busting less and less as time goes on.As for the trade value thing, I disagree but it's obvious we play in different formats. It's 2014, don't most people here play in leagues that have flexes and allow you to start 4-5 WR's?
I think that you are right. Percentage failure for RBs in the first and 2nd rounds is probably higher after a quick scan...What constitutes a failure is not always cut and dry....

Watkins

M. Evans

Lee

OBJ

D. Adams

Cooks

Mathews

Robinson

Benjamin

Latimer

Moncrief

Bryant

Pick the 7 that "fail."

I don't know about that? It would be interesting to actually look at the stats on that...

The upside of hitting on a RB is higher than hitting on a WR..... If you hit on a RB they have more trade value - unless you are in a start 4-5 WR league or a league that has flex positions....
I originally posted this in the RB thread. I guess you didn't read it.

From the same study where the WR success rates came from- http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Draft-probabilities-by-position.html

Pick 1-13 Large RB 60% Small RB 66.7% WR 61.5% avg 71.3%

Pick 14-24 Large RB 35.7% Small RB 33.3% WR 55% avg 63%

Pick 25-46 Large RB 23.5% Small RB 16.7% WR 26% avg 48.2%

Pick 47-73 Large RB 9.5% Small RB 16.7% WR 24.5% avg 33.6%

Pick 74-224 Large RB 7.9% Small RB 9.5% WR 11.5% avg 18%

So as you can see the bust rate for RB of the two types covered is higher than the WR almost across the board. The only difference being small RB who were drafted 1-13 being 5.2% more successful than the WR.

The WR extracted from Ryan Lownes spreadsheet (thanks Tick, Chase, Ryan)

1 Sammy Watkins Clemson 6006 211 Jr. 32 9 5/8" 4.43

Excellent straight-line speed, demonstrating an extra gear to blow by defenders. Dynamic weapon that is a threat to take it the distance at any time. Impressive body control to adjust to poorly thrown passes. Reliable and sure-handed, plucks the ball away from his body. Accelerates out of his breaks. Displays power and balance with the ball in his hands. Strong build. Will make catches with DBs draped all over him. Flashes the ability to run crisp routes and create separation underneath as well as over the top.Good vision, finding cutback lanes in space. Showed versatility as a freshman, returning kicks and lining up in the backfield at times. Only 20 years old. Lacks the height of most elite WR prospects. Can be a bit linear in his movement after the catch, average elusiveness. Unrefined route runner, due in part to a limited route tree in his simplified college offense. Does not project as a dominant redzone target. Must improve ball security, was relatively fumble prone in college.

2 Mike Evans Texas A&M 6046 231 rSo. 35 1/8 9 5/8" 4.53

Imposing physical specimen. Very tall with long arms, is tough for DBs to push around. Sure-handed, confident to go up and get the ball in traffic. Rare strength at the catch point. Plays with physicality, absorbing contact and daring defenders to press him. A mismatch in the redzone. Tracks the ball well and possesses an enormous catch radius. Displays enough straight-line speed to threaten vertically. Uses his body to shield defenders from the ball. Flashes the ability to take his man out of the play as a run blocker. Works to create throwing lanes when the play breaks down. Good sideline awareness. Only 20 years old. Average short-area quickness and does not explode out of his breaks. Must do a better job of sinking his hips in his routes. Inability to make dynamic cuts limits his elusiveness after the catch. Lined up in the same spot and did not move around the formation in the A&M offense. May not be able to create consistent separation at the next level. Average acceleration. Must improve consistency as a blocker.

3 Odell Beckham Jr. LSU 5112 198 Jr. 32 3/4 10" 4.43

Tremendous athleticism, displaying excellent speed, quickness and leaping ability. Surprisingly large catch radius due to long arms and outstanding body control. Runs crisp routes, displaying suddeness to separate underneath and possesses the speed to win vertically. Accelerates out of his breaks on in-breaking (dig, post) and outside-breaking (out, corner) routes. Absorbs contact well and demonstrates the ability to make contested catches. Natural hands-catcher, plucking the ball away from his body. Locates soft spots in coverage. Tough, competitive player. Dangerous after the catch. Explosive kick and punt return ability. Lacks protoypical size for an outside WR at the next level. Prone to concentration drops from time to time. Has trouble driving and steering defenders as a run blocker, lacking functional strength. Could struggle to beat the jam vs. bigger, more physical CBs in the NFL. Ball security is a concern, fumbles were an issue in college. May lack the upside of a true #1 option for an offense, would be more suited to serve as a #2.

4 Marqise Lee USC 5116 192 Jr. 31 3/4 9 1/2" 4.52

Athletic player who is smooth in his movement, gliding across the field. Explosive playmaker with great acceleration. Eats up cushion in the blink of an eye. Outstanding body control contributes to a relatively large catch radius. Creates separation on dig, corner, comeback and curl routes, demonstrating the ability to accelerate out of his break. Able to blow by defenders and make them miss after the catch. Releases cleanly, displaying quickness at the LOS. Very light, nimble feet. Excellent sideline awareness. Looks to pick up blocks downfield. Dynamic kick returner. Inconstent hands, is prone to drops. Suffers from lapses in concentration. Occasionally rounds-off routes at the top of the stem. Not overly big or physical, lacks prototypical size. Struggles at times to secure the ball through contact. Was not the same player during an injury-plagued junior season, lacking his prior explosiveness. Slightly underwhelming Combine performance. Must improve ball security. Long-term durability is a concern due to nagging knee and ankle injuries.

5 Davante Adams Fresno State 6007 212 rSo. 32 5/8 9" 4.56

Good size with a strong build. Excellent body control and leaping ability, can make adjustments to poorly thrown passes. Large catch radius. Very dangerous in the red zone. Quick, nimble feet for a big WR. Releases quickly from the line of scrimmage, showing the ability to beat pressing coverage and creating early separation. Can make contest grabs, absorbing contact and catching the ball outside of his frame. Fairly elusive after the catch, showing the ability to make defenders miss. Also earns extra yardage with good power and balance. Uses his size to box out smaller defenders. Tracks the ball well over his shoulder. Still very young and brimming with upside. Prone to lapses in concentration, resulting in focus drops. Must improve route technique. Gives lackluster effort as a run blocker. Lacks elite top-end speed to take the top off the defense. Not especially quick or sudden out of his breaks. Fairly small hands. Could stand to play with more physicality. Far too inconsistent at this point, fading in and out of games.

6 Brandin Cooks Oregon State 5096 189 Jr. 30 3/4 9 5/8" 4.33

Electrifying speed and quickness, can take it the distance at any time. A dynamic, versatile weapon; coaches will find ways to get the ball in his hands. Consistently gains yardage after the catch. Elusive, making would-be tacklers miss. Makes cuts without losing speed. Creates separation underneath and can beat DBs vertically. Great body control, routinely makes impressive catches away from his body. Can be utilized almost anywhere in the formation; effective split wide, in the slot or even the backfield. Changes speeds and direction effortlessly. Short, but with a solid build. Willing to cross the middle of the field. Tough, competitive player. Only 20 years old. Very small for an outside receiver at the next level, lacking the height most teams desire. Is likely to struggle against press coverage in the NFL vs. bigger, stronger and more technically sound CBs. Lack of height makes it difficult for his to make contested catches. Has not shown explosive kick or punt return ability. Size limits his effectiveness as a run blocker as he lacks functional strength to drive or steer defenders. Will not be much of a redzone target. Ball security is an issue, struggled with fumbles as a junior.

7 Allen Robinson Penn State 6025 220 Jr. 32 9 1/2" 4.6

Smooth mover who glides across the field. Fairly crisp route-runner than creates separation on curls and comebacks. Can sink his hips and cut without losing speed. Excellent size with the height and build coveted at the position. Displays vision and some elusiveness after the catch. Good body control. Capable of going up and high-pointing the ball. Very light feet for his size, shows impressive footwork at the LOS and in his routes. Releases cleanly from the line of scrimmage, demonstrates the ability to beat press coverage. Gifted leaper. Only 20 years old. Does not play to his size, is a bit of a finesse receiver. Not overly strong or physical. Lack of timed speed may concern some. Struggles at times to secure the catch through contact. Not an impact run blocker. Unlikely to be a dynamic NFL player that takes the top off defenses, lacking elite speed and quickness. Does not break many tackles after the catch, average balance.

8 Cody Latimer Indiana 6020 215 Jr. 32 5/8 9 5/8" 4.45e

Tremendous physical tools with ideal height, bulk and lentgh along with impressive burst and speed for his size. Excellent leaping ability. Will go up and get the ball in traffic and is strong at the catch-point. Good catch radius. Sure-handed. Strong, physical athlete who uses his size to box out smaller defenders. Effectively shields DBs with his body on slants. Willing run blocker shows the ability to take his man out of the play. Beats the jam with quickness and physicality. Releases quickly from the LOS and eats up cushion. Intelligent, hard working player. Breaks tackles after the catch. Very young with plenty of room to grow on the field. Limited route tree. Has a good handle of the the three-step routes and curls/comebacks but his college offense asked him to run few digs, outs, corners and post routes. Will need to work on sinking his hips and accelerating through his cuts. Not an explosive vertical threat that will blow by defenders often. Lacks exceptional lateral agility. Not overly elusive after the catch, is a bit linear with the ball in his hands.

9 Kelvin Benjamin Florida State 6050 240 rSo. 34 7/8 10 1/4" 4.61

Incredible size for the position; possesses coveted height, length and bulk. Huge catch radius due to long arms and impressive body control. Has a lot of upside, especially as a redzone target. Displays good acceleration, quickly eating up cushion and threatening the field vertically. Specializes in running the go/9 route. A mismatch against small CBs. Demonstrates some physicality in his routes. Able to absorb some contact and make catches with defenders draped all over him. Flashes the ability to contribute as a run blocker. Capable of breaking tackles after the catch. Very inconsistent hands. Is a body-catcher prone to concentration drops, which at the next level could land him in the doghouse. Poor route technique, often rounding off routes and allowing DBs to telegraph his movement. A bit of a liner athelete, lacks elusiveness after the catch. Already 23 years old despite declaring as a RS sophomore. Long-strider that does not make explosive cuts or sink his hips. Must improve footwork and hand use at the line of scrimmage. Late bloomer that had only one productive college season.

10 Jarvis Landry LSU 5114 205 Jr. 31 1/4 10 1/4" 4.77

Outstanding hands and ball skills. Has excellent body control and is a natural hands-catcher, plucking the ball outside his frame. High-points the ball and routinely makes difficult adjustments. Runs crisp, precise routes. Exploits soft spots in coverage. Separates on dig routes, outs, curls and comebacks. Works hard to get open. Tough, competitive player. Fearless across the middle of the field. Will make contested catches. Has a penchant for the spectacular play. Plays faster than timed speed, processes the game quickly and does not hesitate. Can win from the slot or split wide. Willing run blocker. Reliable option on 3rd down. Large hands. Marginal athlete by NFL standards with mediocre quickness, agilty and straight-line speed. Lacks ideal size for a starting WR. May struggle to separate against more physical and athletic corners at the next level. Not overly elusive after the catch. Will not be much of a vartical threat, lacking the speed to separate deep. Lacks functional strength as a blocker. Struggles at times to beat the jam against physical corners.

11 Jordan Matthews Vanderbilt 6031 212 Sr. 33 1/4 10 3/8" 4.4

Has all of the physical tools. Muscular build with long arms and large hands. Shows good straight-line speed, can eat up cushion quickly. Able to line up in the slot and create mismatches with his size. Large catch radius, can pluck the ball outside his frame. Very competitive, hard-working player. Works to get open, doing his best to create a passing lane for his QB. Willing run blocker that can lock on and steer CBs. Is quick to release outside and can threaten vertically. Tracks the ball well over his shoulder. Unable to create consistent separation underneath or vertically. Must do a better job of sinking his hips and exploding out of his breaks. His drop rate is fairly high due to lapses in concentration. Unrefined route technique. Rounds off too many routes. Does not make many contested catches. Average burst and acceleration. Struggles vs. physical corners in press coverage. Is not very elusive after the catch.

12 Bruce Ellington South Carolina 5093 197 Jr. 31 9 5/8" 4.45

Runs crisp routes and does not lose speed while cutting. Excellent athlete, both quick and fast with tremendous leaping ability. Versatile, can be moved around the formation. Wins from the slot and split wide. Sure-handed and reliable, a natural hands-catcher that routinely makes plays outside his frame. Very impressive body control. Creates separation underneath. Tough, competitive player that can make contested catches. Fearless over the middle. Fairly elusive after the catch. Short ,but with a solid build. Offers additional value as a kick returner. Undersized, lacking ideal height for the position. Struggles at times to beat press coverage against longer, more physical CBs. Will not be a go-to target in the redzone. Size could limit him to the slot at the next level. May lack the height and elite top-end speed to be a dangerous vertical threat. Struggled with fumbles in college; must improve ball security. Average production.

13 Martavis Bryant Clemson 6034 211 Jr. 32 5/8 9 1/2" 4.42

Impressive blend of size and speed. Great height, length. Eats up cushion quickly and threatens vertically. Very athletic, possesses good leaping ability and body control. Huge catch radius. Tracks the ball over his shoulder. Specializes in running the go/9 route and relishes his role as a deep threat. Can make contested catches. Uses his body to box out defenders. Able to absorb contact and secure the catch. Adjusts well to poorly thrown passes. Capable of taking the top off the defense. Inconsistent hands, body-catcher that is prone to drops. Not very elusive after the catch. Limited route tree coming out of a simplified college offense. Relatively little experience running outs, digs and comebacks. Does not create separation underneath. Must learn to sink his hips and explode out of his cuts. Not much variety at the line of scrimmage, must develop more techniques to beat the jam. Lacks functional strength as a run blocker.

14 Paul Richardson Colorado 6003 175 Jr. 32 5/8 8 7/8" 4.4

Extremely quick release from the line of scrimmage. Tremendous top-end speed, can take the top off the defense. Relatively long arms help give him a large catch radius. Plucks the ball outside of his frame and is capable of making the spectacular grab. Can high-point the ball and demonstrates good leaping ability. Able to blow by defenders after the catch. Inconsistent hands, struggles with drops. Lacks functional strength and could be overpowered vs. physical NFL corners. Narrow build, does not have much growth potential. Can be jammed or redirected at the line of scrimmage and in the stem of his route. Small hands. Unble to drive or steer defenders as a run blocker.

15 Kevin Norwood Alabama 6020 198 Sr. 32 1/8 10" 4.48

16 Donte Moncrief Mississippi 6023 221 Jr. 32 3/8 9 1/8" 4.4

17 Robert Herron Wyoming 5091 193 Sr. 30 1/2 9 3/4" 4.48

18 Josh Huff Oregon 5112 206 Sr. 31 1/4 9 3/8" 4.51

19 Jared Abbrederis Wisconsin 6010 195 Sr. 31 3/8 9 5/8" 4.5

20 Shaq Evans UCLA 6010 213 Sr. 32 9 3/8" 4.51

21 TJ Jones Notre Dame 5115 188 Sr. 30 5/8 10" 4.48

22 Michael Campanaro Wake Forest 5093 192 Sr. 30 9 3/4" 4.46

23 Devin Street Pittsburgh 6030 198 Sr. 33 3/8 9 1/4" 4.55

24 Jeremy Gallon Michigan 5070 185 Sr. 29 1/2 9 3/8" 4.49

25 Brandon Coleman Rutgers 6060 225 Jr. 34 9 1/4" 4.56

26 John Brown Pittsburg St. (Kansas) 5100 179 Sr. 30 1/2 8 1/2" 4.34

27 Matt Hazel Coastal Carolina 6010 198 Sr. 31 3/8 9 1/8" 4.5

28 Jalen Saunders Oklahoma 5090 163 Sr. 30 8 7/8" 4.44

29 Jeff Janis Saginaw Valley St. 6027 219 Sr. 32 1/2 9" 4.42

30 Willie Snead Ball State 5110 195 Jr. 33 10 1/4" 4.62

31 L'Damian Washington Missouri 6037 195 Jr. 33 3/8 9" 4.46

32 Mike Davis Texas 6000 197 Sr. 32 3/4 10" 4.50e

33 Cody Hoffman BYU 6037 223 Sr. 33 1/4 9 3/4" 4.65

34 Ryan Grant Tulane 6003 199 Sr. 31 9 5/8" 4.64

35 Tevin Reese Baylor 5104 163 Sr. 31 5/8 8 5/8" 4.46

36 Isaiah Burse Fresno State 5103 188 Sr. 30 1/4 8 3/8" 4.58

Any thoughts or observations on whether there will be a run on receivers in the 2nd round?

Robinson

Adams

Moncrief

Latimer

Matthews

Lee

Landry

Can all these guys go in the 2nd???

I think he can be a very good slot guy in the NFL. Reminds me of Early Doucet. Was very good in the Redzone for his career.

Though, I'm more interested in who the top 50 or top 100 CBs are.
Was just looking at that - any more info on Eric Ward?

Any thoughts or observations on whether there will be a run on receivers in the 2nd round?

Robinson

Adams

Moncrief

Latimer

Matthews

Lee

Landry

Can all these guys go in the 2nd???
All of them did except for Moncrief.

1.04 Buf WR Sammy Watkins

1.07 TB WR Mike Evans

1.10 DET TE Eric Ebron

1.12 NYG WR Odell Beckham

1.20 NO WR Brandin Cooks

1.22 CLE QB Johnny Manziel

1.28 CAR WR Kelvin Benjamin

1.32 MIN QB Teddy Bridgewater

8 skill players round 1

2.04 OAK QB Carr

2.06 Bucs TE ASJ

2.07 Jax WR Marqise Lee

2.10 PHi WR Jordan Matthews

2.13 SEA WR Paul Richardson

2.17 Jets TE Jace Amaro

2.20 ARI TE Troy Niklas

2.21 GB WR Davante Adams

2.22(54) TEB RB Bishop Sankey

2.23 CIN RB Jeremy Hill

2.24 DEB WR Cody Latimer

2.25 49ers RB Carlos Hyde

2.29 Jax WR Allen Robinson

2.30 NE QB Jimmy Garoppolo

2.31 MIA WR Jarvis Landry

15 skill players round 2 (14 if you drop Niklas)

23 skill players in the 1st 2 rounds.

3.01(65) Hou TE CJ Fiedorowicz

3.05 TB RB Charles Sims

3.11 RAM RB Tre Mason

3.22 PHI WR Josh Huff

3.26 IND WR Donte Moncrief

3.27 ARI WR John Brown

3.30 CLE RB Terrance West

3.32 MIN RB Jerick McKinnon

3.33 PIT RB Dri Archer

3.34 GB TE Richard Rodgers

3.35 BAL TE Crockett Gillmore

11 skill players round 3

34 skill players in the top 3 rounds.

WaltherFootball top 25 WR http://walterfootball.com/draft2014WR.php

1-Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
Height: 6-1. Weight: 200.
Projected 40 Time: 4.40.
Projected Round (2014): Top-5 Pick.
3/29/14: Even before the Combine, Watkins was labelled a hot prospect viewed by many to be the best wide receiver to enter the NFL since A.J. Green. The electric play-maker has also impressed evaluators with his blocking and well-rounded skill set. Watkins is a threat to score on any touch and features rare first-step quickness. He is game-breaking receiver for the NFL that should be a difference-maker right away and looks like a potentially elite No. 1 receiver in the NFL.

2-Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
Height: 6-4. Weight: 231.
40 Time: 4.53.
Projected Round (2014): Top-20 pick.
3/29/14: Evans had a "mission accomplished" at the Combine with a 40 time that was faster than expectations. With his size and leaping ability, he looks solidly in the top 20.

3-Marqise Lee*, WR, USC
Height: 5-11. Weight: 192.
40 Time: 4.52.
Projected Round (2014): 1.
3/29/14: Even with a rough final year at USC, Lee is projected to be a first-round pick. When healthy, he is a play-maker who is extremely tough to cover. At the Combine, Lee had a decent performance.
4-Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State
Height: 6-5. Weight: 240.
40 Time: 4.61.
Projected Round (2014): 1.
5-Odell Beckham, Jr., WR, LSU
Height: 5-11. Weight: 198.
40 Time: 4.43.
Projected Round (2014): 1-2.

6-Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State
Height: 5-9. Weight: 189.
40 Time: 4.33.
Projected Round (2014): 1-2.

3/29/14: Cooks was one of the nation's leaders in receptions and receiving yards in 2013. He was superb for quarterback Sean Mannion. Cooks recorded 128 receptions for 1,730 yards with 16 touchdowns for the season. He finished 2012 with 67 catches for 1,151 yards and five touchdowns.

Cooks is undersized, but he could be a slot receiver for the NFL. Cooks didn't get separation when matched up with Oregon cornerback Ifo Ekpre-Olomu. In the NFL, Cooks should be a valuable weapon. He is a mismatch problem as a slot receiver who can stretch a defense vertically. Cooks is very fast running downfield and is a treat to burn cornerbacks over the top. He also is a good route-runner who has excellent hands. Cooks is short, but put together well. He is a tough receiver who battles defenders.

Even though Cooks is undersized, he can operate in the short and intermediate part of the field. He gets separation on short routes and is a nice weapon on third downs. His slot receiver capabilities could turn him into one of the better slot wide outs in the league.

(Please note a value drop after WR6 meaning this is a new tier-)

7-Jarvis Landry, WR, LSU
Height: 5-11. Weight: 204.
40 Time: 4.77.
Projected Round (2014): 2-3.

8-Davante Adams, WR, Fresno State
Height: 6-1. Weight: 212.
40 Time: 4.56.
...9-Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State
Height: 6-2. Weight: 220.
40 Time: 4.60.

10-Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
Height: 6-3. Weight: 212.
40 Time: 4.46.
Projected Round (2012): 2-3.

11-Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado
Height: 6-0. Weight: 175.
40 Time: 4.40.
12-Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers
Height: 6-6. Weight: 225.
40 Time: 4.56.

3/29/14: The biggest question about Coleman is if he has enough speed for the NFL. The senior started out this season with nine receptions for 94 yards and two touchdowns against Fresno State. Coleman fell quiet after that, and many believe a preseason knee injury slowed him down all year. He had 33 receptions for 538 yards with four touchdowns in 2013. Coleman decided to enter the 2014 NFL Draft, but he should have returned to Rutgers. Coleman had a solid Combine.

8/3/13: Coleman is a massive receiver who looks like a tight end. He has been very consistent for Rutgers and has produced while playing in a running offense. Coleman led Rutgers with 43 receptions for 718 yards and 10 touchdowns in 2012. He led Rutgers with 663 receiving yards on 39 receptions with 10 touchdowns the year before, too. The biggest question about Coleman will be if he has enough speed to be a high draft pick.

Personal: Labor studies major.

13-Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss
Height: 6-2. Weight: 221.
40 Time: 4.40.
14-Jared Abbrederis, WR, Wisconsin
Height: 6-1. Weight: 195.
40 Time: 4.50.
Projected Round (2014): 2-4.

15-Martavius Bryant, WR, Clemson
Height: 6-3. Weight: 211.
40 Time: 4.42.
Projected Round (2015): 3-4.

16-Bruce Ellington, WR, South Carolina
Height: 5-9. Weight: 197.
40 Time: 4.45.
Projected Round (2014): 3-4.

17-Josh Huff, WR, Oregon
Height: 5-11. Weight: 206.
40 Time: 4.51.
Projected Round (2014): 3-4.
18-Dri Archer, WR/RB, Kent State
Height: 5-8. Weight: 173.
40 Time: 4.26.
Projected Round (2014): 3-5.
20-Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana
Height: 6-2. Weight: 215.
Projected 40 Time: 4.58.
Projected Round (2014): 3-5.
3/29/14: At his pro day, Latimer was said to have a great performance with a fast 40 and an impressive work out. Some feel that he could be a second-day pick.
21-Robert Herron, WR, Wyoming
Height: 5-9. Weight: 193.
40 Time: 4.48.
Projected Round (2014): 4-6.
22-Shaq Evans, WR, UCLA
Height: 6-1. Weight: 213.
40 Time: 4.51.
Projected Round (2014): 4-6.
The Saints got both Cooks and Coleman.

Coleman sounds absolutely huge.

He's kind of a twig, actually. Really tall, but not a strong guy. Especially not in the lower body, which is probably most important.

Ok thanks for the insight. Sounds like he might be a project on the order of Colston. Colston actually originally came in too big, had that tweener reputation.

I was pretty surprised to see Coleman ranked where he was but I'm not sure about the quality of the site in the first place. Pretty much amazed to see any ranking of someone as the draft's No. 12 WR with a 2nd to 3rd round grade and he wasn't drafted.

He was overhyped in the offseason. Was supposed to be one of the top WR prospects in this class, but didn't deliver.

He is a tall straight line player with some deep threat skills. Limited possession ability. Thought he looked bad at the combine. Doesn't move very well. A little bit gangly and awkward.

I'd be surprised if he made the team, but you never know.

Coleman isn't any less talented than Benjamin and he's 1 year and 4 months younger.

He's kind of a twig, actually. Really tall, but not a strong guy. Especially not in the lower body, which is probably most important.
21 reps at the combine - 2nd best for a WR.

In my book that qualifies him as a "strong guy"...

I don't know how he did elsewhere but your post looks like most college kids mentality. Bench <> lower body strength.

I don't know how he did elsewhere but your post looks like most college kids mentality. Bench <> lower body strength.
Skinny <> not strong either.

He is not a twig either... His post on Coleman misses the mark on many levels.

Maybe he thinks Coleman is someone else??

Users who are viewing this thread