What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL Officials to be armed with 15 yard penalty for racial slurs…uh oh (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
So in an effort to police racial slurs in the NFL, they are going to call 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalties for racial slurs. I do not condone the use of the N word which will be the primary flag I would assume but imagine late in the game a player mutters something the official "thinks" they overhead and starts tossing yellow laundry on a crucial play that decides the outcome of what was up to that point a terrific football game.

So now the NFL fan has to worry about hard hits, late hits, and now racial slurs late in these football games rather than being able to enjoy the product on the field. The last 4-5 years I have been feeling less and less enthusiasm for the NFL but this policy they are going to adopt is just another in a long line of Roger Goodell policing that IMO is only going to make the game worse. Again, I don't condone the use of racial language but the majority of the NFL is African American to my knowledge. Was this something the players were pushing for?

I see games now being decided because a player cusses at the end of the game. Where does it end? Interested in hearing if anyone else thinks this a bad idea or maybe the SP thinks this is an excellent idea. What say you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Players know the rule now, and if they are so undisciplined that they can't control their mouths, well, that is their own fault. Not dropping racial slurs should be common sense.

I see games now being decided because a player cusses at the end of the game. Where does it end? Interested in hearing if anyone else thinks this a bad idea or maybe the SP thinks this is an excellent idea. What say you?
You don't want games decided by unsportsmanlike conduct penalties? Conduct yourself in a sportsmanlike manner. I think the NFL would be better if everyone did that.

There's no reason players need to be throwing racial slurs at each other. If they do and it costs their team the game, great!

I saw this too and thought it odd. I assume, as you point out, it's directed at the use of the N-word, but potentially includes any usage of it, not just "slurs" i.e. not just a player of one race using a slur against a player of another race. So it probably includes black on black usage of "my n****." That's not really a slur in my opinion, but it would certainly be difficult to officiate benign usage of the word vs. "slurs."

I also question if they are going to police ALL "slurs." I mean, i don't know how often other slurs get used, but are the refs going to have a list of banned words? For all racial slurs? What about antiquated slurs? (e.g. this scene from Gran Torino: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVjMzrCMW9Q )

What if a player on the sideline uses a slur, like "nice play, my n****"? Is he going to get a flag for the team even though he wasn't on the field?

This just seems like somewhat bizarre policy, and sort of comes out of left field. Was this a problem? Did the players or owners push for this? The NFL is not like the european soccer leagues where they have legit issues with racism, like fans throwing banana peels and making grunting monkey sounds when a black player touches the ball (these are anecdotes usually in eastern european stadiums but also in italy and spain). Nor have I really ever heard of player on player racism in the NFL in recent times. The only incident i can really recall was the ref last year using some language against the Redskins offensive tackle... and that was a Ref, not a player.

Again, bizarre policy, difficult to officiate, potentially harmful to the outcome of a game, and not really necessary. If there really IS a problem with racial slurs, it could more appropriately be policed with fines and suspensions for the offending players, and not in-game 15-yard penalties. I would expect and hope the players union and owners to push back, I don't really think this is necessary of beneficial.

Now that I think about it, shouldn't this policy include homophobic slurs, e.g. the f-word? I would imagine that is more commonly used as a slur on any given sunday than racial slurs, but doesn't appear to be included in the wording of the policy of "racial slurs." Odd to include one and not the other.

I saw this too and thought it odd. I assume, as you point out, it's directed at the use of the N-word, but potentially includes any usage of it, not just "slurs" i.e. not just a player of one race using a slur against a player of another race. So it probably includes black on black usage of "my n****." That's not really a slur in my opinion, but it would certainly be difficult to officiate benign usage of the word vs. "slurs."

I also question if they are going to police ALL "slurs." I mean, i don't know how often other slurs get used, but are the refs going to have a list of banned words? For all racial slurs? What about antiquated slurs? (e.g. this scene from Gran Torino: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVjMzrCMW9Q )

What if a player on the sideline uses a slur, like "nice play, my n****"? Is he going to get a flag for the team even though he wasn't on the field?

This just seems like somewhat bizarre policy, and sort of comes out of left field. Was this a problem? Did the players or owners push for this? The NFL is not like the european soccer leagues where they have legit issues with racism, like fans throwing banana peels and making grunting monkey sounds when a black player touches the ball (these are anecdotes usually in eastern european stadiums but also in italy and spain). Nor have I really ever heard of player on player racism in the NFL in recent times. The only incident i can really recall was the ref last year using some language against the Redskins offensive tackle... and that was a Ref, not a player.

Again, bizarre policy, difficult to officiate, potentially harmful to the outcome of a game, and not really necessary. If there really IS a problem with racial slurs, it could more appropriately be policed with fines and suspensions for the offending players, and not in-game 15-yard penalties. I would expect and hope the players union and owners to push back, I don't really think this is necessary of beneficial.
When that happens in the future, the ref will have to officiate from 15 yards further back. That will show you that Goodell means business.

Upon further review the ref was just calling Trent Williams a lazy m****f****. I guess that would not merit a 15 yard penalty because it's not racial.

So does a flag get thrown if you use the word Redskin?

Last edited:
From PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/22/nfl-may-impose-15-yard-penalties-for-racial-slurs-on-the-field/

NFL may impose 15-yard penalties for racial slurs on the field
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 22, 2014, 11:28 AM EST

The NFL may implement a new rule this offseason calling for 15-yard penalties for any players who use racial slurs on the field.
John Wooten, head of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, told CBS Sports that he expects the league to make it an automatic 15-yard penalty if a player uses the N-word on the field, and an automatic ejection for a player who does it twice.

“I will be totally shocked if the competition committee does not uphold us on what we’re trying to do,” Wooten said. “We want this word to be policed from the parking lot to the equipment room to the locker room. Secretaries, PR people, whoever, we want it eliminated completely and want it policed everywhere.”

Wooten’s comments were strictly about the N-word, but if the NFL is going to implement this rule, other racial slurs would presumably be included as well, along with slurs that are homophobic, sexist or religious in nature.

However, the NFL may find such a rule tougher for its officials to implement than it sounds. Would the NFL provide every player, coach and official with a list of words that can’t be used? And who would determine which words make the list? Some slurs may be considered offensive in some contexts but not in others. Members of a racial or ethnic groups sometimes use slurs among themselves, with no offense intended or taken. If one black player uses the N-word toward another black player, and a white official hears it and throws a penalty flag, that may open a can of worms the NFL would rather avoid.

And, of course, not everyone agrees on what constitutes a racial slur. Some people consider “Redskins” a racial slur. If the NFL is so concerned about policing use of offensive words, why is one of its teams using a name that many people find offensive?

Despite all the potential problems with the rule, it wouldn’t be surprising to see the NFL implement it. The investigation into the bullying in the Dolphins’ locker room, which revealed that racial slurs were frequently used by players, made the NFL look bad. Cracking down on racial slurs could be an opportunity for the NFL to make a positive stand. Or it could turn out to be a big mess.

I am against the racial slurs being used, but giving the refs one more thing to watch/listen for is stupid. They are human and already make mistakes that can effect games. Giving them more things to do will probably hurt their performance even more.

Despite all the potential problems with the rule, it wouldn’t be surprising to see the NFL implement it. The investigation into the bullying in the Dolphins’ locker room, which revealed that racial slurs were frequently used by players, made the NFL look bad. Cracking down on racial slurs could be an opportunity for the NFL to make a positive stand. Or it could turn out to be a big mess.
Ah, I see. This is really directed against bullying, not strictly racism.

All things being equal, the term "white boy" should be included. It's derogatory and would definitely be looked at as such if you inserted any other color. That one seems to get a pass though. To me, those are fighting words.

Is "Cracker" gonna be a 15 yarder?

What if a player is not actually the race of what the slur is saying. If I call a white person the N word is it a flag? What if I call an Irishman a Mick?

Where does it end?

So in 2014 we'll be adding homophobes and racists to sadists, bullies and 1950s lunkheads as groups who don't like the direction the NFL is going?

Goodell may earn that huge salary yet.

For anyone who is upset over this rule.

The league will soon have its first openly gay player.

I think this rule could easily be expanded to not only be a rule to penalize racial slurs but to also cover sexual slurs.

I'm sure the league is aware of what sort of taunts and slurs that gay players could be subjected to and how that could harm the shield.

Installing a rule that penalized racial slurs is a rule that few would object to but if they came out and imposed a rule protecting sexual slurs then people would attack the rule.

This way they make a reasonable rule change and can slide-in sexual slurs later and not cause as much ruckus.

I think its smart to do things this way as a rule to protect the only openly gay player would open them up to even worse abuse but doing this in stages eases in the rule.

karmarooster said:
Upon further review the ref was just calling Trent Williams a lazy m****f****. I guess that would not merit a 15 yard penalty because it's not racial.
pretty sure "monkeysfather" would be racial.

Ministry of Pain said:

What if a player is not actually the race of what the slur is saying. If I call a white person the N word is it a flag? What if I call an Irishman a Mick?

Where does it end?
The rule has not been adopted yet, contrary to your OP. If it is adopted, then there will probably be some kind of guidelines established, I seriously doubt it would be left to the discretion of the official involved.

Ministry of Pain said:

Where does it end?
I would hope it ends where players treat each other as if they're actual human beings, and play in a sportsmanlike manner.

Ministry of Pain said:

Where does it end?
I would hope it ends where players treat each other as if they're actual human beings, and play in a sportsmanlike manner.
I don't think you need a new rule to do this. If someone Richie Incognito wanna-be calls Michael Sam a "f*****" within earshot of a ref, that's easily an unsportsmanlike penalty - even without this rule. Also, a fine. Or suspension.

I think the reason people above, including myself, are balking at this rule is that it seems difficult to officiate and probably not necessary, given that the vast majority of uses of the n-word on the field are not racist remarks, but benign usages of the word among black players.

The league can and should protect Sam from harassment, and any other gay players, without a blanket outlawing of the n-word. Of course, if there was some legit usage of racist slurs, that could and should be flagged too.

This is all starting to look more and more like a PR campaign to (1) wipe away the Dolphins scandal and (2) proactively protect Sam, and probably not about racism per se.

Let's assume and hope that this doesn't actually happen. If it does they just need to close up shop. Dumbest ####### thing I've ever heard.

I think this rule could easily be expanded to not only be a rule to penalize racial slurs but to also cover sexual slurs.

I'm sure the league is aware of what sort of taunts and slurs that gay players could be subjected to and how that could harm the shield.

Installing a rule that penalized racial slurs is a rule that few would object to but if they came out and imposed a rule protecting sexual slurs then people would attack the rule.

This way they make a reasonable rule change and can slide-in sexual slurs later and not cause as much ruckus.

I think its smart to do things this way as a rule to protect the only openly gay player would open them up to even worse abuse but doing this in stages eases in the rule.
The derogatory "Eff" word to describe a homosexual male is actually everyday language in Britain and is actually a dessert that is quite the delicacy. Also to my knowledge means a cigarette. It has a Latin root for group of sticks, wonder if that excuse will fly in the Commish Office.

Also I love how folks are coming in here and trying to lump anyone who asks questions as an automatic bigot and hater for whatever group. It's so sad where everything is funneling.

All Empires eventually come to an end…I'm just saying.

Ministry of Pain said:

Where does it end?
The rule has not been adopted yet, contrary to your OP. If it is adopted, then there will probably be some kind of guidelines established, I seriously doubt it would be left to the discretion of the official involved.
So there will be a list of words that cannot be uttered? Is it possible the players could invent new words with different letter in the alphabet to mean something similar? This is a might big slippery slope. I asked earlier but where does it end?

Never mind, I saw your next post. Your entitled to an opinion just like me.

Holy crap some of you lunatics would actually be ok with this. A ####### penalty for bad language??!?

Holy crap some of you lunatics would actually be ok with this. A ####### penalty for bad language??!?
You know it RBM, this place is filled with a lot of new age thinkers that want everything that is not nice to be a penalty in life. I was taught life isn't fair but then we have another group of folks who were given a blue ribbon every time their poop hit the can.

Different philosophies and ways of doing things.

Or like in the southpark episode where cartman had the chip that would shock him every time he said certain words.

Nothing like an internal taze to keep your mouth in check.

While I do like the idea of trying to get things to be a little more civilized, this doesnt appear to he the way to do it. This seems like the last resort option after the first 5 things didn't work. Though in this case those first 5 things were never attempted.

Seems to me that racially charged name calling is already unsportsmanlike. Is the point here that any utterance of a racial slur regardless of the spirit is unsportsmanlike? If a white guy scores a touchdown and a teammate slaps his helmet and calls him Whitey, is that a penalty? Regardless of that teammate's race? Or is it only for opponents, and can you qualify for an exemption for slurs that also apply to you? What if instead of Whitey, he calls him Casper? Ginger? Not racist enough? Seems the spirit of unsportsmanlike conduct is vague enough as it is to just have a word with officials and say race/sexuality attacks are worth a flag.

The derogatory "Eff" word to describe a homosexual male is actually everyday language in Britain and is actually a dessert that is quite the delicacy. Also to my knowledge means a cigarette. It has a Latin root for group of sticks, wonder if that excuse will fly in the Commish Office. Also I love how folks are coming in here and trying to lump anyone who asks questions as an automatic bigot and hater for whatever group. It's so sad where everything is funneling.

All Empires eventually come to an end…I'm just saying.
If a British kicker on the sideline asks his special teams coach if he has an "extra " to clam his nerves at halftime, they'll probably let it slide.

In most wotkplaces in America, someone who dropped this language would be visiting HR and cleaning out his desk before the end of the day. I think the Martin/Incognito incident made the NFL realize that it is at very high risk of an expensive workplace discrimination lawsuit any time. Expect more new rules about players and coaches - who ultimately are employees protected by anti-discrimination laws - conducting themselves as "professionals.". This is CYA.

I am usually in favor of letting boys be boys. But when you think about it from an employment perspective, why wouldn't someone who "works" in football not have the same rules as any other workplace?

In most wotkplaces in America, someone who dropped this language would be visiting HR and cleaning out his desk before the end of the day. I think the Martin/Incognito incident made the NFL realize that it is at very high risk of an expensive workplace discrimination lawsuit any time. Expect more new rules about players and coaches - who ultimately are employees protected by anti-discrimination laws - conducting themselves as "professionals.". This is CYA.

I am usually in favor of letting boys be boys. But when you think about it from an employment perspective, why wouldn't someone who "works" in football not have the same rules as any other workplace?
Is the NFL most places? Is there a difference between vacationing on a Caribbean Island vs going to climb Mt Everest? Should you pack the same kind of clothes for both places? Will you travel in the same way to get to both places? Tying to compare what happens in the everyday work place to what happens in the NFL is about as silly an argument as I can think of.

I'm sorry everyone but we're just not that special.

Is the NFL most places? Is there a difference between vacationing on a Caribbean Island vs going to climb Mt Everest? Should you pack the same kind of clothes for both places? Will you travel in the same way to get to both places? Tying to compare what happens in the everyday work place to what happens in the NFL is about as silly an argument as I can think of.

I agree with this

Some where along the line everyone seems to forget that everyone should be treated fairly, but not equally because all jobs aren't the same, and all people aren't the same.

Look, there is certainly an argument about whether it "should" be. But your first sentence actually makes my point. In the eyes of the law, YES, the NFL is exactly the same as any other workplace. There are no exceptions in any of these statutes based on what type of workplace it is. And I for one think Goodell understands that some roster cut fodder with a lawyer in his ear is going to see a huge opportunity to cash in on this "hostile work environment."

Mind you I'm not saying whether it's valid or not. Only that the teams and league don't have a legal leg to stand on as "special" or "exempt" from such regulations.

Look, there is certainly an argument about whether it "should" be. But your first sentence actually makes my point. In the eyes of the law, YES, the NFL is exactly the same as any other workplace. There are no exceptions in any of these statutes based on what type of workplace it is. And I for one think Goodell understands that some roster cut fodder with a lawyer in his ear is going to see a huge opportunity to cash in on this "hostile work environment."

Mind you I'm not saying whether it's valid or not. Only that the teams and league don't have a legal leg to stand on as "special" or "exempt" from such regulations.
I stand by my post and I love your avatar.

Personal hygiene is really where it all starts. How about a 15 yard penalty on anyone who doesn't have a nice Old Spice smell to them or perhaps an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for any player who farts on the field?

Personal hygiene is really where it all starts. How about a 15 yard penalty on anyone who doesn't have a nice Old Spice smell to them or perhaps an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for any player who farts on the field?
Using racial slurs against someone has to do with personal hygiene?

In some cultures is considered nice to fart. It shows you enjoyed your meal.

So glad I don't root for "teams" anymore and just my fantasy players lol. How dumb when I black player gets a 15 yard penalty for talking to another black player....

For those who think this suggested rule change is entirely new:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/nfl-expected-adopt-15-yard-penalty-n-word-article-1.1698783

Retired Giants star Harry Carson, who is now the executive director of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, told the Daily News that a rule allowing officials to penalize players for using the N-word is “already in place.”

The word is considered unsportsmanlike conduct, Carson said.

“I think there is going to be a higher emphasis placed on it,” Carson said, adding that his group met with league officials last season to discuss use of the epithet.

“It needs to be put a halt to in the locker room, on the field, whether it’s staff, whether it’s a player, there is no room for it,” the Giants legend added.

I don’t think it’s any new rule that we are pushing for because we have been told by the league that the penalty is there. It just has to be assessed if it is used.”

I'm also not lining up and getting physical with my competition either. Its been long accepted that what is generally said and done on the field is left on the field. The field is where the players goto to work, its not the fans to be involved in. This is a big example of a non-football guy commishing the league.

Re-racial stuff- What happens to the guy that said a slur three times during the game, as he's leaving the game? People beat him up? Wreck his car? Toilet paper his house? How is society going to react to recognizing which players use racial slurs often?

re-cursing-

If someone tears his knee and blurts out curses, I don't care. It reminds me of my father hitting his thumb with a hammer growing up....I heard things I never heard otherwise. To me, there's an understood mulligan as far as cursing when pain is involved.

I coached a t-ball team and let me tell you no one hits home runs over the fence. Like never, doesn't happen blah blah blah. This kid did and his mom yelled holy (poop) and I couldn't believe how angry people got. It was holy (poop), hand over mouth, sorry sorry. Yet people wanted him off the team, out of the league, her banned from games etc. I was shocked how people reacted. I am totally out of touch.

We had a kid "jam" his finger when the ball hit it dead on. He said F and the ump threw him out of the game.

My thoughts were I guarantee his mom is all over him for that, why does the ump need to be? But the other parents were like good, sit him down.

Using racial slurs against someone has to do with personal hygiene?
Let's not just pull a little of it off, let's rip the whole band aid off is all I'm saying.

Users who are viewing this thread