What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NHL Off-Season thread:Down goes Kane! (1 Viewer)

I thought Getz would be higher. Giroux would be second to Crosby without the soft noggin, but he still doesn't get the respect, imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Getz would be higher. Giroux would be second to Crosby without the soft noggin, but he still doesn't get the respect, imo.
In 2011-2012, Getzlaf was pretty awful.

11 goals, 46 assists, 57 points in 82 games.

Selanne led them with 66 points in 82 games that year.

I love the Leafs having Komarov, Clarkson, Santorelli, Winnik, Holland, Panik etc.. on the 3rd and 4th lines. Those names don't seem like much but after years of Mclaren, Orr, McClement, Brown and the likes it's a massive upgrade.

Half in the bag said:
The Bonino trade is looking better for Van each game. Gets the winner against his old team
If only someone had predicted this (over and over again) all offseason.
Kesler is playing 20+ minutes/game on a team tied for the most points in the league.

advanced stats look pretty good for him as well.

Northern Voice said:
I love the Leafs having Komarov, Clarkson, Santorelli, Winnik, Holland, Panik etc.. on the 3rd and 4th lines. Those names don't seem like much but after years of Mclaren, Orr, McClement, Brown and the likes it's a massive upgrade.
Did the Leafs really sign Clarkson to that big FA deal to have him playing on the third line?

Northern Voice said:
Did the Leafs really sign Clarkson to that big FA deal to have him playing on the third line?
I would have assumed he had the worst contract in the league now that Leino is gone. He is a nice 3rd line player who is being paid like a 1st line player.

according to time on ice numbers, he ranks basically in a tie for 6th among Leafs forwards with Komarov at about 16 minutes/game but he is getting 2+ minutes/game on the PP each game.

Is anyone even close to Mark Giordano in the Norris race right now?

He has 5 goals and 18 points in 16 games along with a +8 rating and ranks 3rd in blocked shots.

Is anyone even close to Mark Giordano in the Norris race right now?

He has 5 goals and 18 points in 16 games along with a +8 rating and ranks 3rd in blocked shots.
Just from stats, the #2 choice would be Brodie who's also on the Flames. Never would have guessed and I don't think it will remain this way.

Are they changing the name to the Orr Trophy? I seem to recall hearing that somewhere.

Northern Voice said:
I would have assumed he had the worst contract in the league now that Leino is gone. He is a nice 3rd line player who is being paid like a 1st line player.

according to time on ice numbers, he ranks basically in a tie for 6th among Leafs forwards with Komarov at about 16 minutes/game but he is getting 2+ minutes/game on the PP each game.
Would Mike Richards be the leader for the worst contract in the NHL for the next few years?

Would Mike Richards be the leader for the worst contract in the NHL for the next few years?
I'd rather have Richards at $5.75MM over Clarkson at $5.25MM.

Either probably better than Semin at $7MM.

I'm a big Mikko Koivu fan but he's off to a slow start with just 3 points on a $6.75MM cap hit.

I'm a big Mikko Koivu fan but he's off to a slow start with just 3 points on a $6.75MM cap hit.
Johan Franzen's cap hit of just under 4 mil per, until he turns 41, is pretty gross as well.

Johan Franzen's cap hit of just under 4 mil per, until he turns 41, is pretty gross as well.
:confused:

he's got 10 points in 9 games played this year.

put up a respectable 41 in 54 last year, and 31 in 41 the year before.

where's the downside of paying a guy who puts up that kind of production with a $4MM cap hit? He also has 42 goals in 107 playoff games.

PPG for Franzen in last 5 years:

10-11: .72

11-12: .73

12-13: .76

13-14: .76

14-15: 1.11

nobody on the Red Wings comes close to the horrid Stephen Weiss contract.

Heck, Dan Cleary is making $2.75MM this year for basically nothing. He had 8 points in 52 games a year ago, 15 in 48 games the year before, and they actually chose to re-sign him to that deal?

where's the downside of paying a guy who puts up that kind of production with a $4MM cap hit?
People get caught up in Franzen because he is streaky. But his cap hit is really not that bad for what he brings, and it isn't like he is going to play until he is 41 anyway. He'll retire and that will be wiped off the books.

where's the downside of paying a guy who puts up that kind of production with a $4MM cap hit?
People get caught up in Franzen because he is streaky. But his cap hit is really not that bad for what he brings, and it isn't like he is going to play until he is 41 anyway. He'll retire and that will be wiped off the books.
This will be one happy Avs fan when he retires - most of those points come against the Avalanche - so if you discount that he might just be average

Northern Voice said:

Yeah he's played on both the 2nd and 3rd line. I know it's impossible to seperate him from that contract and his play last season, but he's played well this year and was going to make that money from someone.

That's not accurate. Depending on when he retires the Wings will take a ~2.5 to 2.9M cap recapture penalty for each of the remaining years of the contract. The only way they don't eat it is if he gets hurt and stays on LTIR sort of like what happened with Pronger. Hawks have the same issue with Hossa, but the cap recapture hit is higher for Hossa.

Hell of a goal by Seth Griffith. Forced a turnover in the D zone and went out on a partial breakaway. While being backchecked by a pair of Devils, got spun around 180 and somehow chipped the puck between his legs past Schneider.

:towelwave:

Vine of the very end of the play.

Half in the bag said:
The Bonino trade is looking better for Van each game. Gets the winner against his old team
If only someone had predicted this (over and over again) all offseason.
Kesler is playing 20+ minutes/game on a team tied for the most points in the league.

advanced stats look pretty good for him as well.
Ducks have gone from a bad face off team to one of the best with him and Nate Thompson. They mentioned last night Van has gone from top to bottom in FO.

Ducks are getting hammered by the flu. Perry, Getz, Beauch, Fowler have all missed games recently.

Tomas Fleischmann making 4.5 million for 1 point and healthy scratch the other night is ugly as well.

Tomas Fleischmann making 4.5 million for 1 point and healthy scratch the other night is ugly as well.
Phaneuf at 7 per is the worst

That's not accurate. Depending on when he retires the Wings will take a ~2.5 to 2.9M cap recapture penalty for each of the remaining years of the contract. The only way they don't eat it is if he gets hurt and stays on LTIR sort of like what happened with Pronger. Hawks have the same issue with Hossa, but the cap recapture hit is higher for Hossa.
Pronger signed his contract after the age of 35. It was my understanding that if you signed a contract under the age of 35 it got significantly reduced and was based off of the value of the remaining contract and the years. If you signed your deal over the age of 35 then the club was stuck with the full contract amount on their cap.

Foosball God said:

Pronger signed his contract after the age of 35. It was my understanding that if you signed a contract under the age of 35 it got significantly reduced and was based off of the value of the remaining contract and the years. If you signed your deal over the age of 35 then the club was stuck with the full contract amount on their cap.
It's based on the cap savings the team has received at the time of retirement. Capgeek isn't often wrong, doubt they are now. Link

Phaneuf at 7 per is the worst
:rolleyes:

Islanders getting some payback tonight :towelwave:
Vegas is going to take a huge hit on Colorado this year. Their over/under started at 98.5 points (even though they had 112 last season - Vegas knew the regression was coming). Even at that, the under was hammered and it dropped to 96.5 and then 95.5. From what we've seen so far, they won't come close to that.

Full article on it here http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/mirtle-avanche-are-a-team-in-turmoil-after-warning-signs-were-ignored/article21472457/

Islanders getting some payback tonight :towelwave:
Vegas is going to take a huge hit on Colorado this year. Their over/under started at 98.5 points (even though they had 112 last season - Vegas knew the regression was coming). Even at that, the under was hammered and it dropped to 96.5 and then 95.5. From what we've seen so far, they won't come close to that.

Full article on it here http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/mirtle-avanche-are-a-team-in-turmoil-after-warning-signs-were-ignored/article21472457/
I hit them at U45.5 wins, but got in pretty late.

Users who are viewing this thread