What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NHL Off-Season thread:Down goes Kane! (1 Viewer)

I was hoping the Flyers would stop winning meaningless games in January, knowing they weren't making the playoffs back then. But I would never go as far as clapping/cheering for the opposition at a home loss, would be satisfied inside and quietly exit the building.
This was me. The bucs lost some close games at the end of the year. Not like I hi-fived my buddy but I did say that this is good for us.

I was hoping the Flyers would stop winning meaningless games in January, knowing they weren't making the playoffs back then. But I would never go as far as clapping/cheering for the opposition at a home loss, would be satisfied inside and quietly exit the building.
The Wild (over the course of its history) has had an uncanny knack for winning games late in lost seasons when they should be losing. They've been bad plenty but never quite bad enough (even in the first few years after coming into the league) to get into the lottery and land one of the real difference makers. I have never wanted to see them tank per se, but I think they definitely could have played some youth over some vets over the years, still tried hard, and lost a little more down the stretch (possibly improving draft position). I would never openly cheer for an opponent, but I admit to being disappointed after some Wild wins late in seasons they're eliminated from the playoffs. Of course, bottoming-out doesn't always work. Edmonton gets a lottery pick every year and still sucks.

Edmonton gets a lottery pick every year and still sucks.
because they can't draft and develop talent. their recent track record on picks outside of round 1 are abysmal, and most of their 1st rounders were no-brainer selections.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00005632.html
Right. And that is obviously a huge part of it. Tanking/bottoming-out/etc is no guarantee of future success. That's all I was saying and pointed to the Oil as an easy example.

The Wild (over the course of its history) has had an uncanny knack for winning games late in lost seasons when they should be losing. They've been bad plenty but never quite bad enough (even in the first few years after coming into the league) to get into the lottery and land one of the real difference makers. I have never wanted to see them tank per se, but I think they definitely could have played some youth over some vets over the years, still tried hard, and lost a little more down the stretch (possibly improving draft position). I would never openly cheer for an opponent, but I admit to being disappointed after some Wild wins late in seasons they're eliminated from the playoffs. Of course, bottoming-out doesn't always work. Edmonton gets a lottery pick every year and still sucks.
Risebrough would have still ####ed it up. like Pouliot.

Edmonton gets a lottery pick every year and still sucks.
because they can't draft and develop talent. their recent track record on picks outside of round 1 are abysmal, and most of their 1st rounders were no-brainer selections.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00005632.html
Right. And that is obviously a huge part of it. Tanking/bottoming-out/etc is no guarantee of future success. That's all I was saying and pointed to the Oil as an easy example.
Not taking issue with you, but lots of other people make the same point and I don't think it really holds up.

#1 None of their #1 overall pick players are comparable to McDavid. Hall is really good and so is Eberle, but they never landed a Stamkos or Tavares type with their high picks that you can truly build a team around.

#2 Every team that has been successful after getting a few high picks in a row has generally done a better than average job of finding talent throughout the rest of the draft as well. You can't just land a star player or two at the top of the draft and expect them to carry a garbage roster to the playoffs. You need quality depth and that's generally done by hitting on picks in rounds 2 or later and developing those prospects once you have them in your system.

#3 You also need some quality vets in place to help shield the young guys from having too much put on them too early. You can't expect these teenagers to come in and save the franchise when you have almost nothing else around them. Plus, the Oilers have always had one of the weakest crops of defensemen and goalies in the league, so the forwards have no margin for error.

It's been a recipe for disaster in Edmonton for awhile. Really hope they don't luck out and get McDavid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gonna be a lot more nervous with the Rangers heading into the playoffs this year than last year. Last year was a fun ride, they played above their heads a bit and clearly had a tough task against a better Kings team. It sucked but I was proud of the effort and it wasn't a painful loss.

This year is different. I expect them to win it all. There's no silver lining if they don't.

Question for the guys that really follow the juniors and college hockey. Hawks just signed Kyle Baun and Michael Paliotta, what is the unbiased consensus on these two?

Not many things more fun than watching the Gophers get a beatdown.
they looked like this most of the year, including last weekend despite winning the vaunted B1G. pretty weird considering it's basically the same team as last year.
The always have that attitude that they are the U and if we just show up everyone will bow down to their awesomeness. F them and John Marriucci

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you f'ing kidding me. What a pathetic display of hockey by the Hawks. In comes Darling.....let the destruction continue.

Question for the guys that really follow the juniors and college hockey. Hawks just signed Kyle Baun and Michael Paliotta, what is the unbiased consensus on these two?
Can never go wrong with Catamounts imo.
Yeah that was helpful Rud ;) ....I am more interested in Paliotta. Can he be a Top 4 D man?
I think so.
I get Paliotta played for Vermont, but is he capable of becoming a Top 4?

Yeah that was helpful Rud ;) ....I am more interested in Paliotta. Can he be a Top 4 D man?
I think so.
he led Vermont in scoring and was named best defensive defenseman in Hockey East. I think he's got top-4 potential for sure. He could likely use some time in Rockford to adjust to the pro game, but he has the size and skill to take on a big role with the big club at some point in the next couple years.

I think so.
he led Vermont in scoring and was named best defensive defenseman in Hockey East. I think he's got top-4 potential for sure. He could likely use some time in Rockford to adjust to the pro game, but he has the size and skill to take on a big role with the big club at some point in the next couple years.
Well ####, was hoping he could step up sooner than that, especially if the Hawks don't/can't resign Oduya. Btw thanks, that's what I was looking for. Johns is likely the next man up, I don't think Runblad is the answer and not sold on TVR being able to fully recover from his broken knee cap.

Tough to project college guys right to the NHL. Some can do it, but that's asking a lot for a team as good as the Hawks. He may be ready but I'd just assume he'll be one guy in the mix and they will see how he does.

Tough to project college guys right to the NHL. Some can do it, but that's asking a lot for a team as good as the Hawks. He may be ready but I'd just assume he'll be one guy in the mix and they will see how he does.
Yeah but if he can jump in as a 5/6 next year then 3/4 the following year would be awesome.

Yeah but if he can jump in as a 5/6 next year then 3/4 the following year would be awesome.
I think that's a possibility. He carried UVM this year and I thought they were really good at times.

Gonna be a lot more nervous with the Rangers heading into the playoffs this year than last year. Last year was a fun ride, they played above their heads a bit and clearly had a tough task against a better Kings team. It sucked but I was proud of the effort and it wasn't a painful loss.

This year is different. I expect them to win it all. There's no silver lining if they don't.
Wouldn't worry about it too much. Look how well the Pens have done every year as favorites since winning the Cup.

Users who are viewing this thread