What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

No Kids (1 Viewer)

jamny

Footballguy
One of the things that drew me to my wife was the fact that she didn't want children. I've had friends that have told me that she will change, but they just don't know her...or me.

We don't want kids. We never did.

In my entire life, I never remember a single time where I felt like I wanted kids. I have no real problem with them. I love my nephews and niece. It's just so nice to come home to a quiet household after visiting them.

We love to travel. I could probably list a hundred different places we've visited. We plan 4 or 5 vacations a year.

I'm sure there will come a time that I might feel I missed something in life by not having a child. I just feel that my life is complete with my wife. I see parents get more angry than I've ever been yelling at their children.

I admit that I'm being selfish. I'm thinking of my life. Oh well. That's the way it is.

I'm content even if I die tonight.

You are an enlightened man.

How did you find a woman like this.

I would really like to find one..

It might be the only situation I would deviate from www.nomarriage.com

The coolest and most challenging thing I ever did in my life was having children.

To me it really comes down to legacy. I like to believe that I will live on after I die. My childen wil have my genes and will endoctrinated with my take on life. If that doesn't sound appealing, more power to you. Live it up.

i don't / won't have any children either. i don't care about legacy. we tried and it didn't work out. so be it. i'm content concentrating on my career, my wife and going on exotic vacations.

I never really saw myself as a father, but 11 months in and I cannot explain the change in me. The unconditional love that child expresses orthe daily changes in awareness he exhibits. The first laugh, or hand-clapping, or cat food experiment, or the first diaper that didn't make me puke. Having him feed me one of his cherrios this week and loving him so much that I don't mind sharing it made me a bit teary. Man, this is cooler than Jamaica, Morocco, NYC, Boston, Chicago or any of the 100 other cities I have seen in my lifetime...put together.

Yes, I haven't had 8 straight hours of sleep in 11 months. He has been taking up almost 100% of the discretionary income since being born. I cannot go play golf 3 or 4 times a week anymore. And now I'm worried about Life insurance, college savings, etc. There are many things that aren't very cool about having a kid. I am now #3 on the ladder at home and there probably is only 8 half empty baby food jars and 6 formula bottles in the fridge for my supposed dinner. (I cannot eat our food everynight...it would kill me by 45)

All of that negative stuff means diddly squat knowing my boy will wake up tomorrow morning and smile at me when I come get him out of the crib. This is the coolest trip of my life and I would not trade having him in my life for anything. Anything.

But to each his own. :)

The coolest and most challenging thing I ever did in my life was having children.

To me it really comes down to legacy. I like to believe that I will live on after I die. My childen wil have my genes and will endoctrinated with my take on life. If that doesn't sound appealing, more power to you. Live it up.
Passing on a leacy means nothing to me. I've already admitted being selfish, which I think is a big part of not having children. my goal is to enjoy my life as much as I can while I'm here. My wife and I do that by travelling.

I've seen the Mona Lisa

I've seen Big Ben

I've seen the Eiffel Tower

I've seen the Coleseum

I've seen the canals of Venice

I've seen the Statue of David

I've been to nearly all of the Carribean Islands

I've driven the Road to Hana

I've driven through Death Valley

I've been to Chicago, Boston, Washington, Memphis, Nashville, Atlanta, Dallas, New Orleans, San Antonio, Biloxi, Miami, Key West, San Diego, San Fransisco, Los Angeles, Seattle, Vancouver, Cancun,

We go to Vegas at least once a year.

I love my life. Leavig a legacy through children has no meaning to me.

I never really saw myself as a father, but 11 months in and I cannot explain the change in me. The unconditional love that child expresses orthe daily changes in awareness he exhibits. The first laugh, or hand-clapping, or cat food experiment, or the first diaper that didn't make me puke. Having him feed me one of his cherrios this week and loving him so much that I don't mind sharing it made me a bit teary. Man, this is cooler than Jamaica, Morocco, NYC, Boston, Chicago or any of the 100 other cities I have seen in my lifetime...put together.

Yes, I haven't had 8 straight hours of sleep in 11 months. He has been taking up almost 100% of the discretionary income since being born. I cannot go play golf 3 or 4 times a week anymore. And now I'm worried about Life insurance, college savings, etc. There are many things that aren't very cool about having a kid. I am now #3 on the ladder at home and there probably is only 8 half empty baby food jars and 6 formula bottles in the fridge for my supposed dinner. (I cannot eat our food everynight...it would kill me by 45)

All of that negative stuff means diddly squat knowing my boy will wake up tomorrow morning and smile at me when I come get him out of the crib. This is the coolest trip of my life and I would not trade having him in my life for anything. Anything.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

As the father of a 2 and 3 year old, trust me when I say the best part hasn't even begun. I always felt the first 11 months were "mommy" time. Now I hang with my kids just about every chance I get. :thumbup:

I absolutely love the fact that my GF has zero desire for kids. My mother oftens calls me selfish for not wanting to provide her and my dad with grandchildren. Thank God my brother is expecting his first child soon. I'm excited about being an aunt and also relieved that some pressure to produce a grandchild has been taken off of me.

I don't want kids. I love them to death though. I actually taught 3 and 4-year olds in sunday school for 6 years when growing up. But I do I want them? Hell, no. I would much rather travel the world and do everything I want to do without the burden of raising a child and having my dreams put on hold.

IMO, my mother is wrong. It would be selfish of me to have kids because I would have neither the time nor inclination to focus all my time on on them. Basically, I would be a half-### parent at this stage in my life. If that makes me selfish, so be it.

If on the off-chance I have kids, it would be after I've done everything in life I want to do. Kids would be the "final frontier" so to speak. At that point, I would be willing to spend as much time with them as they needed and impart the lessons learned in life with the hopes that they grow to be independent, caring, and happy adults.
:hey:

To me it really comes down to legacy.  I like to believe that I will live on after I die.  My childen wil have my genes and will endoctrinated with my take on life.  If that doesn't sound appealing, more power to you.  Live it up.
Passing on a leacy means nothing to me. I've already admitted being selfish, which I think is a big part of not having children. my goal is to enjoy my life as much as I can while I'm here. My wife and I do that by travelling.

I've seen the Mona Lisa

I've seen Big Ben

I've seen the Coleseum

I've been to Chicago, Boston, Washington, Memphis, Nashville, Atlanta, Dallas, New Orleans, San Antonio, Biloxi, Miami, Key West, San Diego, San Fransisco, Los Angeles, Seattle, Vancouver, Cancun,

Cool. And all those memories die with you.I took my kids to a local farm today and we feed the goats and had cotton candy ice cream. It wasn't Big Ben or the Coliseum, but I'll never forget the time I spend with my kids either.

I'm not judging you. I'm just saying there are positives and negatives to both. It's a life decision.

Would I like to be able to live spontaneously?

Would I like to be able to travel to exotic places regularly?

Would I like to be able to nap whenever, stay out late whenever and not have to worry about a sitter?

Would I like extra money in the bank?

Yes, those things would be nice.

Would I trade my experiences with my son and daughter for 10 lifetimes of the things mentioned above.

Never.

This is pretty much the epitome of being a dad. Some want to live the same way throughout their life, some don't...nothing wrong with either, just different priorities.

A few more people like you, and we can write the epitaph for the human race.

Japan already has more people dying than are being born. Russia, Italy, Spain and others are going down that path.

Here lies the human race.

It cared more for traveling around

and seeing sights than anything else.

RIP.

I've seen the Mona Lisa

I've seen Big Ben

I've seen the Coleseum

Cool. And all those memories die with you.I took my kids to a local farm today and we feed the goats and had cotton candy ice cream. It wasn't Big Ben or the Coliseum, but I'll never forget the time I spend with my kids either.

I'm not judging you. I'm just saying there are positives and negatives to both. It's a life decision.
cool.those memories will die with you too most likely. None of us have power of what memories stick with other people.

I don't begrudge any parents memories with kids. I'm sure they are very special.

Japan already has more people dying than are being born. Russia, Italy, Spain and others are going down that path.

RIP.
Asia down?

RIP.
so you'd rather people that don't want kids have them anyway?

RIP.
Asia down?
Map down? Look at Japan.

RIP.
Asia down?
Map down? Look at Japan.
I know, and most of Russia too. I agree with you actually.This is part of the reason I have no problem with loose immigration laws. The more Americans the better, IMO.

RIP.
Asia down?
Map down? Look at Japan.
I know, and most of Russia too. I agree with you actually.This is part of the reason I have no problem with loose immigration laws. The more Americans the better, IMO.
By the way, the fertility rate in China is about 1.2. (2.1 is replacement level). However, in China it is being held down artificially, and would probably be about 1.6.

RIP.
:goodposting: I'd rather not be a parent than a bad one. The happiness of children depends largely in part on whether they are wanted or not and that manifests itself when they become adults.
Yup. And just because lemmings WANT to go into the ocean, that makes it a good thing.

my daughter is the greatest thing in my life and I am thrilled to be her father.

You seem happy in your choices.

IMO that's what matters most. Your choices worked for you, mine for me.

I've met people with kids and similar thoughts as you jamny and well I guess I figure they shouldn't have had kids then and are bad parents or somesuch. It's an odd feeling, somewhat hard to describe in a "who am I to judge" sorta way.

RIP.
Asia down?
Map down? Look at Japan.
Exactly...but we talking about illegal or legal immigrants?I have no problem with looser immigrations law. I do have a problem if people don't try to assimilate themselves into American society. That is my biggest problem with illegal immigration— they are a social burden and a large majority make no attempt to become "American". I feel that those who wait in line are the ones who care about our country and laws. They should be the the ones who have the first crack at being 'legal'.
I'll end this hijack by saying, if they want to be citizens, they must work for it. I like the immigration model of this country when we were taking the "Huddled masses yearning to be free. . ."Now, back on topic, I admire people who make the choice right up front to not have children. You MUST commit your heart and soul to children, foregoing many other things you'd like to do with your life.

my daughter is the greatest thing in my life and I am thrilled to be her father.

I've met people with kids and similar thoughts as you jamny and well I guess I figure they shouldn't have had kids then and are bad parents or somesuch. It's an odd feeling, somewhat hard to describe in a "who am I to judge" sorta way.
but see, someone that doesn't want kids is judged. I would love to want kids, but I don't. I can't fake it. I've never wanted kids. It just so happens I found a woman that doesn't want them either.

those memories will die with you too most likely. None of us have power of what memories stick with other people.

I don't begrudge any parents memories with kids. I'm sure they are very special.
couldn't agree with you more, jamny. i'm totally with you - no kids for me either. i have my own life to lead that i'd rather not sacrifice.

Add another to the "no kids" list. Im 36 and my GF of 10 years is 38. Neither of us want kids. We both have neices and nephews that we love and can do cool stuff with. Thats good enough for us. :thumbup:

but see, someone that doesn't want kids is judged. I would love to want kids, but I don't. I can't fake it. I've never wanted kids. It just so happens I found a woman that doesn't want them either.
well I suppose I can not relate to the feelings someone has that doesn't want a kid they do have.

those memories will die with you too most likely. None of us have power of what memories stick with other people.

couldn't agree with you more, jamny. i'm totally with you - no kids for me either. i have my own life to lead that i'd rather not sacrifice.
Add another to the "no kids" list. Im 36 and my GF of 10 years is 38. Neither of us want kids. We both have neices and nephews that we love and can do cool stuff with. Thats good enough for us. :thumbup:
Love it, love it, love it.Nothing better than coming home and relaxing with maybe a cat or dog staring at you. Nice and quiet.

I'd like to hear from the guy that might have liked maybe to not have had a kid. Maybe they would have liked to have done more for themselves.

I absolutely love the fact that my GF has zero desire for kids. My mother oftens calls me selfish for not wanting to provide her and my dad with grandchildren. Thank God my brother is expecting his first child soon. I'm excited about being an aunt and also relieved that some pressure to produce a grandchild has been taken off of me.

I don't want kids. I love them to death though. I actually taught 3 and 4-year olds in sunday school for 6 years when growing up. But I do I want them? Hell, no. I would much rather travel the world and do everything I want to do without the burden of raising a child and having my dreams put on hold.

IMO, my mother is wrong. It would be selfish of me to have kids because I would have neither the time nor inclination to focus all my time on on them. Basically, I would be a half-### parent at this stage in my life. If that makes me selfish, so be it.

If on the off-chance I have kids, it would be after I've done everything in life I want to do. Kids would be the "final frontier" so to speak. At that point, I would be willing to spend as much time with them as they needed and impart the lessons learned in life with the hopes that they grow to be independent, caring, and happy adults.
:goodposting: and good for you for not giving in

I'd like to hear from the guy that might have liked maybe to not have had a kid. Maybe they would have liked to have done more for themselves.
I'm probably not what youre looking for. I would have a very different life, thats for sure. Fortunatly for my kid, I am responsible and have done a good job (so far) but it wasnt planned. As a matter of fact, I only knew her a few months.

The rest of the story could take forever, but yes, I gave up alot. Travel, $$$, time, fun stuff. I wouldnt redo it now that were buds, but I certainly understand those who dont.

It's a fulltime job that doesnt end for 18+ years

He's 7 BTW

Who's going to generate my Social Security if y'all don't have kids???!!! :angry:

my goal is to enjoy my life as much as I can while I'm here. My wife and I do that by travelling.
:confused: You don't think you can travel with children? Our family has travelled every year for the past nines years. Granted, driving to Europe or the Carribean isn't quite within the realm of possibility, but my children have seen more of this country than probably most of their peers. They've been to both oceans, and from the Gulf to the Great Lakes. They've learned to ski, they've looked a lion in the eye, they've hiked the Smokey Mountains. Having children doesn't mean your life is over, it means a new chapter is just beginning.

One of the things that drew me to my wife was the fact that she didn't want children. I've had friends that have told me that she will change, but they just don't know her...or me.

In my entire life, I never remember a single time where I felt like I wanted kids. I have no real problem with them. I love my nephews and niece. It's just so nice to come home to a quiet household after visiting them.

We love to travel. I could probably list a hundred different places we've visited. We plan 4 or 5 vacations a year.

I'm sure there will come a time that I might feel I missed something in life by not having a child. I just feel that my life is complete with my wife. I see parents get more angry than I've ever been yelling at their children.

I admit that I'm being selfish. I'm thinking of my life. Oh well. That's the way it is.

As the father of an almost two-year old, I say "that's cool".

i don't / won't have any children either. i don't care about legacy. we tried and it didn't work out. so be it. i'm content concentrating on my career, my wife and going on exotic vacations.
That is ultra hot...oh wait, that's an "x". :kicksrock:

My wife and I spent 2 years travelling and partying and now we're gonna have a kid.

I don't understand the thought that not wanting to have kids is selfish. How is that selfish? That would imply that having kids is a given and you are chosing not to do so.

Would I like to be able to live spontaneously?

Would I like to be able to travel to exotic places regularly?

Would I like to be able to nap whenever, stay out late whenever and not have to worry about a sitter?

Would I like extra money in the bank?

Yes, those things would be nice.

Would I trade my experiences with my son and daughter for 10 lifetimes of the things mentioned above.

Never.
:goodposting: except I just have a son.

RIP.
:goodposting: I'd rather not be a parent than a bad one. The happiness of children depends largely in part on whether they are wanted or not and that manifests itself when they become adults.
Agreed.

I think anyone who truly wants to be a parent, should be given a chance. But at the same time I see too many people out there who do the family thing just because they can.... and too many others who prey on kids because they are born monsters.

Certainly, it's harder now than it was 20 years ago to raise a family considering a) the costs involved b) the fact that most parents both have to work to support having kids c) the world (in this, I mean, day to day life for your children) is in my opinion, more dangerous than ever before and d) there are a lot of great kids out there whose parents are deadbeats, uncaring, ungrateful or worse.

I don't think it's selfish either way to choose to have a child, or not. For me... One of the most exciting parts about having a son or daughter was knowing my dad would be the best "Grampa" ever.

When he passed away 2 years ago... a big part of that desire to have a child died in me. I can't imagine trying to raise a son or daughter without his guidance... or without him around to be the loving, caring grandfather to my kids that I never had.

Maybe someday when the right girl comes along... that desire may return. But right now... If I ever want to get to a point where I'm in position to afford a kid, and be the dad I want to be... I need to focus a little more on improving myself, working on my career and getting to where I want to be in life.

I have complete and total respect and admiration for all of you who've chosen to have a family. I think Kids are awesome, and add a great deal to the "life" experience. For me... I feel like there is a huge part of the world that I haven't seen, and that I would like to experience... and things I want to accomplish... before I'll be ready to say... I want to be a dad. And if that day never happens... then, that's okay too.

Happy Father's Day to all of you Dads out there.

RIP.
Don't worry bro, there's plenty of dumb-asses that do plenty of ####### for all of us and produce plenty of unwanted children.

I feel like societal pressures cause most people to feel like their destiny is to marry, have children, etc.

That without those things, there is no "life".

Then again.. i'm one of the people that said I'd NEVER get bored if I didn't have to work (when that thread was around). Whereas without work some people would get eternally bored.

I think it all comes down to one's ability to fine joys in themselves, their hobbies and interests, etc.

like jamny, I would love to hear from someone other than: "OMG I love my kids and wouldn't trade them for anything!!" guy.

Where is: "my kids got on drugs, knocked some broad up when he was 16, has a rap sheet, disrespected the family, my daughter is a stripper, my kid is stupid, my kid is physically/mentally handicapped, my daughter is a my-space whore" guy...

Where is that guy?

Seems like a real tough time to have to raise a kid in this society. Chances of things going awry seem real bad.

then again.. the posters in this thread have young children it seems.. before societal corruption.

See.. in my profession I really enjoy treating kids... but I see all the horrible effects of divorce, neglect, all the cavities, what it costs to raise a child just dentally... braces, cavities, cleanings, accidents, etc....

It just seems like it really sucks... and sucks the life out of you.

I think anyone who truly wants to be a parent, should be given a chance. But at the same time I see too many people out there who do the family thing just because they can.... and too many others who prey on kids because they are born monsters.

Certainly, it's harder now than it was 20 years ago to raise a family considering a) the costs involved b) the fact that most parents both have to work to support having kids c) the world (in this, I mean, day to day life for your children) is in my opinion, more dangerous than ever before and d) there are a lot of great kids out there whose parents are deadbeats, uncaring, ungrateful or worse.

I don't think it's selfish either way to choose to have a child, or not. For me... One of the most exciting parts about having a son or daughter was knowing my dad would be the best "Grampa" ever.

When he passed away 2 years ago... a big part of that desire to have a child died in me. I can't imagine trying to raise a son or daughter without his guidance... or without him around to be the loving, caring grandfather to my kids that I never had.

Maybe someday when the right girl comes along... that desire may return. But right now... If I ever want to get to a point where I'm in position to afford a kid, and be the dad I want to be... I need to focus a little more on improving myself, working on my career and getting to where I want to be in life.

I have complete and total respect and admiration for all of you who've chosen to have a family. I think Kids are awesome, and add a great deal to the "life" experience. For me... I feel like there is a huge part of the world that I haven't seen, and that I would like to experience... and things I want to accomplish... before I'll be ready to say... I want to be a dad. And if that day never happens... then, that's okay too.

Happy Father's Day to all of you Dads out there.
:thumbup:

Speaking as the father of two great kids:I don't think you are selfish. I think it is much smarter to recognize that you don't want children then to bring more children in this world to parents that don't truely want them. I think all of us, parents and non, have to be selfish to a degree. We all have to do what is right for ourselves, because it means being able to make a better life for the others around us. I can guarantee that if my life is miserable for what ever reason, then I can't make the best life for my family and friends.

i don't / won't have any children either. i don't care about legacy. we tried and it didn't work out. so be it.  i'm content concentrating on my career, my wife and going on exotic vacations.
That is ultra hot...oh wait, that's an "x". :kicksrock:
i have no idea what that means carlton.

To each their own. I'd much rather a person who didn't want kids not have them than feel pressured too. :thumbup:

It isn't any more selfish to not want kids than to want them really, it depends on what you do with your life. Now, as you haven't said that you're doing any charity work or pursuing things in life than benefit society, maybe you are selfish, but again, no more than many parents who want kids just so they won't be alone on Christmas.

Parenting is a full time gig ++++, it's the most work I've ever had, and the most rewarding. If you don't feel called to it, don't do it. I personally wouldn't feel fulfilled if I didn't have children, but that's me. Once we can accept each other for our decisions, we'll all be better off.

There's way too many unwanted children in this world as it is, both in foster care and in neglectful families. Many parents aren't willing to make the sacrifices needed for the benefit of their children, and they IMO shouldn't have kids. It's much more than passing on your genes.

I'd rather spend a day at the zoo, farm, science center, park or pool with my boys than go to Rome. (Sure I'd like to, but it's a choice)

The things in life I most look forward to involve my children. Work is great, I feel I'm in the right business, but I am really looking forward to taking my boys hiking, and teaching them about life at every stage.

Money Well Spent

I have a son and was recently forwarded this link. This is a fantastic breakdown for what a kid costs.

It is definitely different strokes for different folks. I do not hold it against anyone who does not want a kid, but I can't imagine a life without my son.

My wife and I are the same way. We've never wanted kids but figured the day would come when we would feel differently about the subject. She's now 34 and I'm 33 and we still do not want to have kids so I guess there's a good chance we never will.

It's funny how people look at you when you tell them you don't want children. It's like you're speaking a foreign language to them and they can't even grasp the concept. :rolleyes:

Why is this even a topic????

If you don't want children don't have them....no need to explain or aplologize.
:eek: :ph34r: :scared: :unsure: I can't believe I'm going to post this but here it goes............................. :goodposting:

If you don't want kids, you shouldn't have kids.

I do feel that those that don't want kids tend to be selfish, but whatever.

I think that not having kids goes against the natural purpose of existence. Who cares if you saw a painting, or a canal, or a clock? You haven't experienced creating a human being.

My wife and I are the same way. We've never wanted kids but figured the day would come when we would feel differently about the subject. She's now 34 and I'm 33 and we still do not want to have kids so I guess there's a good chance we never will.

It's funny how people look at you when you tell them you don't want children. It's like you're speaking a foreign language to them and they can't even grasp the concept. :rolleyes:
Just tell them to #### OFF!!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread