What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

No More Lobbyist Contributions To Democratic Party (1 Viewer)

mon

(T)ool
It's been less than two days since he crossed the delegate threshold to become the Democratic presidential nominee and Sen. Barack Obama's mark on the party is already being felt.

On Good Morning America Thursday, ABC News' Chief Washington Correspondent George Stephanopoulos reported "the Democratic National Committee will no longer accept contributions from federal lobbyists, will no longer take contributions from PACs" in keeping with Obama's well-publicized policy.

UPDATE: DNC issues a statement:

"The DNC and the Obama Campaign are unified and working together to elect Barack Obama as the next president of the United States. Our presumptive nominee has pledged not to take donations from Washington lobbyists and from today going forward the DNC makes that pledge as well," said Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean. "Senator Obama has promised to change the way things are done in Washington and this step is a sure sign of his commitment. The American people's priorities will set the agenda in an Obama Administration, not the special interests."
Unprecedented. This is huge. I have gone on about this in threads, that this is the number one problem in politics. It affects both the left and the right when lobbyists control our gov't.Link

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea, but I forsee some headaches ahead in regards to policing it. We've already seen claims that Obama has accepted lobby money.

Here's the email from Dean,

Dear 'Hack,

I wanted to drop you a quick note about a major policy change here at the Democratic Party.

As we move toward the general election, the Democratic Party has to be the Party of ordinary Americans, not Washington lobbyists and special interests. So, as of this morning, if you're a federal lobbyist, or if you control political action committee donations, we won't be accepting your contribution.

This is an unprecedented move for a political party to make -- one that has sent shockwaves through Washington and has turned the debate on clean campaigns upside down. We've unilaterally agreed to shut lobbyists out of the process, and are we're relying on people just like you.

Just imagine what hundreds of thousands of Americans donating $20, $30, or $50 at a time can accomplish together. Imagine the signal that it sends to anyone who looks at John McCain's political machine and the special interest money it needs to fuel every move it makes.

We have a chance to change the way business is done in this country, and we're taking the lead. Will you join us and make a contribution right now to help us elect Barack Obama?

http://www.democrats.org/nonlobbyists

I've written before about guys like Charlie Black and Rick Davis, lobbyists who are at the highest levels of McCain's campaign. But they're just the start -- John McCain and the RNC suck up lobbyist money millions of dollars at a time.

In May, McCain had his best fundraising month of the campaign, and it was directly because he refuses to shut special interests out.

But we did, and we need your help. This is an example of the kind of White House Barack Obama would run. Make a contribution to help elect him:

I'll be in touch later about our plans for the general election, but I wanted to let you know about our policy change right away.

Thanks,

Howard Dean

Yeah, right.

Of course, no one could consider that unions might have lobbyists. They are just hard working Americans.

Well, it's a first step, and the results remain to be seen.

I would love to see a day when candidates accept money from individuals only. Forget industry, PACs, etc., they are soulless organizations.

It is high time our representatives remain beholden to their constituents, not man made organizations.

With the advent of bundlers special interest groups can infuse money without needing it to come directly from lobbyists. It's a nice soundbite, but neither party is going to axe out their big donors from party access.

I have gone on about this in threads, that this is the number one problem in politics. It affects both the left and the right when lobbyists control our gov't.
You say that like our congressmen don't have free will.

so does this mean every democratic candidate won't accept anything other than personal contributions?

First the whole fixed thing and then refixing it and updating the fix? Time for new shtick.

Second this is a step in the right direction but the devil is in the details. I'd like to see it in action before I praise or damn it.

I guess the absence of the Christian Right's money would just eat too big of a hole in the budget, I understand.

so does this mean every democratic candidate won't accept anything other than personal contributions?
I wouldnt think so.This is a change made by Obama. The DNC followed suit, or was forced to by Obama. Individual politicians will have to follow suit on their own accord, but there is no law/regulation set in place.

:bag: at the Republicans who don't find this to be a change for the better.
It doesn't mean anything. Special interest groups don't need to fund money through lobbyists. They can use lobbyists to push policy and fund through bundlers. The sad thing is that you all know this yet you are so caught up in sticking it to the other side you opt to be willfully obtuse about it. Obama's ground roots system is better so the Repubs will likely take a few months to reciprocate. Then big politics gets to stick it to everyone. They convince the morons that they actually changed something when in actuality they did nothing but jump through a couple of hoops to allow status quo to continue.

Yeah! It's about time. If only McCain would show he's willing to do something about campaign finance reform. :scaredy cat:

:bag: at the Republicans who don't find this to be a change for the better.
It doesn't mean anything. Special interest groups don't need to fund money through lobbyists. They can use lobbyists to push policy and fund through bundlers. The sad thing is that you all know this yet you are so caught up in sticking it to the other side you opt to be willfully obtuse about it. Obama's ground roots system is better so the Repubs will likely take a few months to reciprocate. Then big politics gets to stick it to everyone. They convince the morons that they actually changed something when in actuality they did nothing but jump through a couple of hoops to allow status quo to continue.
But bundler money comes in through tons of individuals. Thus the influence is GREATLY dispersed. A wonderful step to removing the influence.I dont think anyone said its a perfect cure-all. But to say it "doesn't mean anything" is to be purposely ignorant of the positive direction and effect of this process.

:hifive: at the Republicans who don't find this to be a change for the better.
But bundler money comes in through tons of individuals. Thus the influence is GREATLY dispersed. A wonderful step to removing the influence.I dont think anyone said its a perfect cure-all. But to say it "doesn't mean anything" is to be purposely ignorant of the positive direction and effect of this process.
Company gathers 100 partner signatures, bundles the max for each and sends it in, lobbyist says company XYZ gave you "x" amount of dollars so I want you to help me with something. It's a few extra steps, but the end result is the same. The system needs a real fix, not smoke and mirrors.

Here's the email from Dean,

Dear 'Hack,

I wanted to drop you a quick note about a major policy change here at the Democratic Party.

As we move toward the general election, the Democratic Party has to be the Party of ordinary Americans, not Washington lobbyists and special interests. So, as of this morning, if you're a federal lobbyist, or if you control political action committee donations, we won't be accepting your contribution.

This is an unprecedented move for a political party to make -- one that has sent shockwaves through Washington and has turned the debate on clean campaigns upside down. We've unilaterally agreed to shut lobbyists out of the process, and are we're relying on people just like you.

Just imagine what hundreds of thousands of Americans donating $20, $30, or $50 at a time can accomplish together. Imagine the signal that it sends to anyone who looks at John McCain's political machine and the special interest money it needs to fuel every move it makes.

We have a chance to change the way business is done in this country, and we're taking the lead. Will you join us and make a contribution right now to help us elect Barack Obama?

I've written before about guys like Charlie Black and Rick Davis, lobbyists who are at the highest levels of McCain's campaign. But they're just the start -- John McCain and the RNC suck up lobbyist money millions of dollars at a time.

In May, McCain had his best fundraising month of the campaign, and it was directly because he refuses to shut special interests out.

But we did, and we need your help. This is an example of the kind of White House Barack Obama would run. Make a contribution to help elect him:

I'll be in touch later about our plans for the general election, but I wanted to let you know about our policy change right away.

Thanks,

Howard Dean
Cool. I just got this from David Plouffe
Yo Shiny, wassssaaaaaaaap! How they hangin, champ?

Barack Obama has clinched the Democratic nomination for President of the United States.

The total number of delegates needed to secure the nomination is 2,118. Right now, Barack has the support of at least 2,179 delegates, which gives him a lock on the nomination.

Thank you for all you have done. Your support has brought us to this moment. Watch the video of Barack's victory speech and make a donation today to support the next phase of this movement for change.

Barack Obama will be the Democratic nominee, but we've got huge challenges ahead as we build our organization for the general election.

John McCain has been running his general election campaign for months, and we have some catching up to do.

But one of the benefits of this historic primary season is that we had a chance to build our grassroots organization in all 50 states.

We have an unprecedented opportunity to mobilize volunteers everywhere and compete in places that Democrats have overlooked in the past.

Last night, Barack laid out the vision for where this campaign is headed -- watch the speech and make a donation to help us get there.

Thank you,

David

David Plouffe

Campaign Manager

Obama for America

:hifive: at the Republicans who don't find this to be a change for the better.
Company gathers 100 partner signatures, bundles the max for each and sends it in, lobbyist says company XYZ gave you "x" amount of dollars so I want you to help me with something. It's a few extra steps, but the end result is the same. The system needs a real fix, not smoke and mirrors.
A: "No you did not."

:yes: at the Republicans who don't find this to be a change for the better.
A: "No you did not."
:hifive: Whatever, if you want to be obtuse about it so be it. I think the system needs real change and I would welcome it regardless of which party puts it forward.

:hifive:Whatever, if you want to be obtuse about it so be it. I think the system needs real change and I would welcome it regardless of which party puts it forward.
I find that you are being obtuse about Obama from the onset. Which is the very catalyst on how we keep arriving at this position.

:goodposting:Whatever, if you want to be obtuse about it so be it. I think the system needs real change and I would welcome it regardless of which party puts it forward.
I find that you are being obtuse about Obama from the onset. Which is the very catalyst on how we keep arriving at this position.
Both parties use it. Obama just has a better grassroots system for it. It's been around since Bush's first term. My Brother-in-Law (Democrat) and my wife's uncle (Republican) explained it to me over Thanksgiving dinner a few years ago. They are/were both fortune 500 lobbyists (the uncle is retired).

Both parties use it.
Obama isnt taking lobbyist and PAC money. If you want to donate (even everyone in a company/union/field) you must do so as individuals.Noone can then claim to have given anything more then urbanhack or adonis. Because the facts prove otherwise.In fact, adonis could become every bit the influencer as the Pfizer guy. :goodposting:

Both parties use it.
Obama isnt taking lobbyist and PAC money. If you want to donate (even everyone in a company/union/field) you must do so as individuals.Noone can then claim to have given anything more then urbanhack or adonis. Because the facts prove otherwise.In fact, adonis could become every bit the influencer as the Pfizer guy. :goodposting:
Someone just needs to collect the signatures. The money can be sent in a lump sum. The politicans know exactly who is giving them the money and why. The organizations still have their representatives in the offices, they just don't act as the middlemen for the money.

It's been less than two days since he crossed the delegate threshold to become the Democratic presidential nominee and Sen. Barack Obama's mark on the party is already being felt.

On Good Morning America Thursday, ABC News' Chief Washington Correspondent George Stephanopoulos reported "the Democratic National Committee will no longer accept contributions from federal lobbyists, will no longer take contributions from PACs" in keeping with Obama's well-publicized policy.

UPDATE: DNC issues a statement:

"The DNC and the Obama Campaign are unified and working together to elect Barack Obama as the next president of the United States. Our presumptive nominee has pledged not to take donations from Washington lobbyists and from today going forward the DNC makes that pledge as well," said Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean. "Senator Obama has promised to change the way things are done in Washington and this step is a sure sign of his commitment. The American people's priorities will set the agenda in an Obama Administration, not the special interests."
Unprecedented. This is huge. I have gone on about this in threads, that this is the number one problem in politics. It affects both the left and the right when lobbyists control our gov't.Link
Huge :unsure: J

Users who are viewing this thread