What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Oakland Raiders 2012 Regular Season Thread*** (1 Viewer)

TD pass to DHB.

It would be so Raider-like to win this game. Lose the #3 pick and beat SD when it doesn't even break their hearts.

At least its over. An ugly finish to an even uglier season. Beaten by a rival in a game that wasnt as close as the final score indicated. This was definately a season of regression. Changes in the front office and coaching staff deserve a lot of blame for it. It doesnt mean we need start over again. We hired rookies. They get a chance to improve like young players do. So far though we've had a rough start and they deserve much criticism for it.

QB - Pryor impressed me with his demeanor. He was calm and appeared in control of the action. His passing is still a ways away from NFL quality. His accuracy isnt that bad but he didnt have the necessary zip on his throws for this level. Against a more formidable defense, he would have had multiple interceptions. The coaches let him move out of the pocket a lot and he's great at buying time and scrambling except that he needs to not run backwards so much. He's decent at finding a receiver and throwing on the run but still lacks that zip. He did enough to deserve a chance to win the backup job next year but we'll have to sign someone to compete with him. I hope he improves enough to become the backup but he's not good enough at this point.

RB - We werent going to win this game without establishing a good running game. We didnt unless you include Pryor's scrambles. I'm happy for McFadden that he isnt likely to have to play for Knapp anymore.

WR - Streater and Pryor had begun developing chemistry working together in training camp and it showed. Pryor would kind of throw balls up for grabs and the WRs had to make the play. They made some including the TDs to DHB and Moore.

TE - Myers had better than usual YPC. I wouldnt offer him a big contract but I wont be disappointed if he returns.

OL - Pryor doesnt need as much pass protection as Palmer does. Bergstrom got his first start in place of injured Brisiel. I didnt notice a difference and Bergstrom makes a lot less money. With Knapp not likely to return, Brisiel should be on the way out also. If we do go back to power blocking, Bergstrom might not be the answer and the release of Barksdale will look even worse. Nix was active for the first time this season and has the size to be a power blocker.

DL - Houston finished a strong season with his best game of his career. He might be the best player we have on defense. If we dont pick a DE with our first round pick, I hope we resign Carter.

LB - Gaither is improving but I dont want to see him starting next year.

DB - Adams and Branch were both out for this one so we were at an even bigger disadvantage than usual. Taken that under consideration we werent beat too badly. Mitchell and I believe Ross got the start.

So now the question is, who would Raider Nation like to see become the new OC.

Some available OC's:

Chan Gailey

Norv Turner

Ken Whisenhunt

Pat Shurmur

Al Saunders

Marty Mornhinweg (if he doesn't follow Andy Reid)

Or perhaps some up and coming coach that should get a shot at OC.

What say you Raider Nation, who would you like to see as the Raiders new OC?

Last edited by a moderator:
So now the question is, who would Raider Nation like to see become the new OC.Some available OC's:Chan GaileyNorv TurnerKen WhisenhuntPat ShurmurAl SaundersMarty Mornhinweg (if he doesn't follow Andy Reid)Or perhaps some up and coming coach that should get a shot at OC.What say you Raider Nation, who would you like to see as the Raiders new OC?
I think Whisenhunt will get another head coaching shot. I think Norv is a brilliant OC.

So now the question is, who would Raider Nation like to see become the new OC.Some available OC's:Chan GaileyNorv TurnerKen WhisenhuntPat ShurmurAl SaundersMarty Mornhinweg (if he doesn't follow Andy Reid)Or perhaps some up and coming coach that should get a shot at OC.What say you Raider Nation, who would you like to see as the Raiders new OC?
I wouldn't hire any of these retread bums. You want a good OC, hire Jeff Tedford.

I wouldn't hire any of these retread bums. You want a good OC, hire Jeff Tedford.
:lmao: You need to unpack this for me. The Bears haven't ranked above 42 in total offense over the past 5 years. Not a ringing endorsement.

I would be happy with Saunders, Whiz or Shurmur.

OC, OL coach, ST coach, and LB coach all fired. Special teams and the OL were terribly regressed. There was a lot of turnover on special teams players but the offensive players were nearly identicle to last year's group. We know McClain will soon be cut and I can imagine Brisiel will follow him. Allen might want zone blocking but he's not an offensive coach. Let's hope he learned a lesson about what's more important... system or players.

OC, OL coach, ST coach, and LB coach all fired. Special teams and the OL were terribly regressed. There was a lot of turnover on special teams players but the offensive players were nearly identicle to last year's group. We know McClain will soon be cut and I can imagine Brisiel will follow him. Allen might want zone blocking but he's not an offensive coach. Let's hope he learned a lesson about what's more important... system or players.
Bob Wyllie, the Raiders oline coach in 2011, used zone blocking schemes, so your post isn't accurate. My guess is that it was in part the coaches and in part a complete reliance in zone blocking schemes. Both Wyllie and Kirwin believe a mix of schemes is the most effective approach.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmao: You need to unpack this for me. The Bears haven't ranked above 42 in total offense over the past 5 years. Not a ringing endorsement.
We've had one of the best rushing attacks in the nation over that time frame. We've not had a QB since Rodgers (when the offense was top-10 nationally). He managed to put us at #11 nationally with Nate Longshore at QB. .590 winning percentage as a head coach, developed the Oregon offensive scheme (Oregon dropped from 10-2, 11-1 to 7-6, 8-5, 5-6 in the three years after he left). You'd prefer Chan Gailey? Really?

We've had one of the best rushing attacks in the nation over that time frame. We've not had a QB since Rodgers (when the offense was top-10 nationally). He managed to put us at #11 nationally with Nate Longshore at QB. .590 winning percentage as a head coach, developed the Oregon offensive scheme (Oregon dropped from 10-2, 11-1 to 7-6, 8-5, 5-6 in the three years after he left). You'd prefer Chan Gailey? Really?
No. As stated above I prefer Saunders, Whiz or Shurmur. By a wide margin over Tedford. Dude seemed lost the last two years at Cal. And the program has steadily gone down hill over the past four years, as the stats indicate. In fact, he did such a marvelous job he got fired. I guess you aren't seeing things clearly due to the blue tint in your glasses. :)

I've always thought that Tedford made his name on the arm of Rodgers, and has lived off of him ever since.

But it's not like I watch 11 CAL games every year, so I could certainly be wrong.

I've always thought that Tedford made his name on the arm of Rodgers, and has lived off of him ever since.But it's not like I watch 11 CAL games every year, so I could certainly be wrong.
Tedford is a good coach. He has a couple of blind spots: he never wants to play underclassmen over established players, and he's not great at tactical game decisions (like when to go for it on fourth down). But offensive coordination, he can do. I think he'll be picked up somewhere and be successful.

Grading McKenzie's first season.

1. Fired Hue Jackson - Its natural for a new GM to want to bring in his own coach. So I understand the move. Saying McKenzie "fired" Jackson might not even be the right way of putting it. As much as I understand it, it was the wrong move. Hue was likeable by fans and players alike. The team played hard and well under Jackson. He was a players coach with an emotional personality and aggressive playcaller who made games fun for everyone.

Grade D

2. Hired Dennis Allen - Allen is a much different coach than Jackson. He's got that military like personality. The interviews are boring but he does bring more discipline to the team. He's got a good defensive mind. The team didnt play as well for Allen but he was a rookie head coach who began the season missing some pieces on defense. He made plenty of mistakes but none nearly as bad as his decision to hire Knapp as OC. His decision to hire Tarver as DC on the other hand may have been the right one.

Grade C

3. Let the head coach hire the rest of the coaching staff - McKenzie isnt the only GM that does this. However he should have recognized that Allen is a rookie head coach with a defensive background. McKenzie knew that we had an offense that was effective and improving. Al Saunders was still under contract. McKenzie had the power to prevent changing the system and bringing in a whole new staff on offense and new special teams coach. "If it aint broke, dont fix it".

Grade F

4. Cut Stanford Routt - CB was the position the team most needed to address. He started by cutting Routt and it wasnt just because of how much money Routt was making. He was overpaid but more importantly he drew too many penalties and isnt as effective when he isnt physical. While he played hard, he also had a small attitude problem. The only problem with the move is that McKenzie didnt come up with a good replacement.

Grade B

5. Restructured veteran contracts - He had no other choice but to do some restructuring. He gave a few big money players extensions that greatly lowered their 2012 salary cap hit. There is some damage to the 2013 cap as a result but that's how a restructure often works. In the case of Seymour it also lowered his average cost per season. I dont know if the clause that voided Seymour's contract was part of the restructure or if it was already in the contract. Palmer will have a big cap hit in 2013 if he doesnt restructure again after having almost no hit on the cap in 2012.

Grade B

6. Gave Kam Wimbley a restructure or get cut ultimatum - McKenzie didnt want to lose Wimbley but he wasnt willing to let Wimbley play on huge contract. The cap hit in 2012 from cutting Wimbley didnt result in a huge savings but the move was made to address 2013+ salary cap. Much like Routt the biggest problem was finding a replacement. Wheeler worked out great at strongside LB but we didnt get a veteran pass rusher until mid season. By the time Andre Carter was healthy enough to make a difference, it was way too late to save the season.

Grade D

7. Cut Cooper Carlisle then resigned him - This was a gamble that McKenzie won. Carlisle was willing to resign at a cheaper price.

Grade B

8. Cut Kevin Boss - Boss was one of the most overpaid players on the team. He was a good blocker and could make the occassional big play downfield. His receiving ability though was no better than average. Boss and Myers ended up splitting time in 2011.

Grade A

9. Franchised Branch - Using the tag worked as intended as Branch ended up signing a long term contract. If Mike Mitchell didnt have a problem staying healthy we could have saved a lot of money by letting Branch hit the open market. It would have been a gamble though relying on Mitchell after he struggled with injuries in 2011. We are paying Branch too much but he's a good player who deserved a reward for past performance.

Grade B

10. Signed Reece (RFA) to multiyear deal - Only wish he had put more years on the contract

Grade A

11. Resigned Bryant (RFA), Barnes, Giordano to one year deals - If we hadnt brought back Bryant, we would have had even more problems this year. It also made sense to bring back Barnes and Gio even though we eventually need to find younger replacements.

Grade B

12. Did not resign Satele, Bush, Cartwright, Campbell, Heyer, Groves, Schilens, Houstmanzadah, Scott, Moss, Brown, Boller, ect - Bush and Campbell would have been too costly to resign even if they had wanted to. Satele should have been brought back especially with Wisniewski injured. Going back to zone blocking is a reasonable excuse though for not signing Satele or Heyer. Groves and Schilens probably wanted to test the market. We could have used Moss or Scott but they werent impact losses. The worse decision... not bringing back Cartwright.

Grade C

13. Signed Brisiel to big multiyear deal - McKenzie's first big FA signing was a bust. Brisiel was brought in because of his experience with zone blocking but we way overpaid. We also got a player who probably shouldnt even be starting.

Grade F

14. Signed Tollefson to two year deal - We got a veteran backup DE at a decent price but Tollefson got lost in the rotation after we brought in Andre Carter. Tollefson has had no impact.

Grade C

15. Signed Bartell, Spencer, and Pat Lee to one year deals - We got two veterans coming off major injuries for cheap and a veteran backup CB. We got what we paid for. Spencer played ok but only lasted a couple of games. Bartell was also reinjured and eventually cut. Bartell's poor performance was partially because of injuries. Lee was good enough to make the team and be an injury replacement until injuries led to poor performances that also ended in his release. Regardless we did not get the starting CBs we needed. There were a couple of guys on the market worth signing and we could have come up with enough money with a little cap manipulation.

Grade F

16. Signed Wheeler to one year deal - Should have gave him a multi-year contract. Wheeler was our best this year by far. Got him cheap this year but now we'll have to pay up if we want him back.

Grade A

17. Traded Bruce Campbell for Goodson - Campbell had potential and our Oline depth is weak but we still ended up getting the best of this trade. Goodson keeps getting nicked up but he makes plays on special teams and in relief of McFadden. Goodson is a good fit for the zone blocking and has the ability to make big plays. Both players were in the final year of their rookie contracts and Campbell has learning issues that would have made him irrelavent.

Grade A

18. Traded Louis Murphy for 2013 7th round pick - Murphy along would DHB would have been our most experienced WRs. Murphy is a deep threat that would have been good to have after Ford was injured. At least one of our WRs is always bound to get injured. The only thing saving McKenzie here is that there were rumors Murphy was unhappy and wanted to go to another team.

Grade D

19. Drafted Bergstrom in round 3 - The jury is still out on Bergstrom. Bergstrom was drafted because of his potential as a zone blocker. If we go back to power blocking it may prove to be a wasted pick. Bergstrom couldnt secure a starting spot as a rookie but did get on the field. Might be a future starter and is the best offensive lineman we have on the bench, at least so after releasing Barksdale.

Grade C

20. Drafted Burris in round 4 - McKenzie is a former linebacker and he got it right with Wheeler and Burris. Burris made a lot of rookie mistakes but for someone deemed a project he has far exceeded expectations. He started every game, became an every down LB, and was third on the team in tackles. That's impressive. He should go into 2013 as the starter and become even better.

Grade A

21. Drafted Crawford in round 5 after trading down - Crawford made the team but was inactive most of the year. After we signed Carter he got lost on the depth chart. He was a raw project when drafted so just making the team is enough for his first year. Crawford is still a big question mark but has badly needed natural ability to rush the passer. I believe there were were a lot of better prospects still available and we traded down 10 spots before picking Crawford. That makes me believe Crawford was Reggie's target even if we had kept the pick. We did get a 7th round pick out of the trade but it was wasted on Stupar who didnt make the team.

Grade D

22. Drafted Criner in round 5 - Criner displayed flashes of good ability. Criner isnt so much of a deep threat but he has more developed route running ability than most rookies. Criner should be able to stick to the roster as long as he remains healthy.

Grade B

23. Drafted Bilukidi in round 6 - Bilukidi made the team but initially spent spent half his games on the inactive list. After Seymour went down though Bilukidi began getting into the rotation at DT. Like Crawford, Bilukidi was a project pick. I'm sure we'll add someone at DT next year but if Seymour doesnt return, Bilukidi could make the team again.

Grade C

24. Drafted Stupar in round 7 after trading for pick - This is who we ended up trading down for. Stupar didnt show enough in training camp to make the team but he put up a heck of an effort in the final preseason game. Had we not traded for the pick that would have been acceptable. With Goethel coming off a major injury we needed competition. Better to not have traded for this pick because there was a lot better value in round 5 than what we got with Crawford.

Grade D

25. UDFA signings - We got two guys out of this year's group - Streater could be that rare treat where we got a guy who might become a legitimate starter in the future. He went from undrafted to being the guy in 3 WR sets after Ford was injured. He showed a lot of potential in training camp and preseason. He's the one WR on the team who has started building chemistry with Terrell Pryor. We also got Nix. Nix would likely have been drafted if not for questionable off field character. That's often the type of person who makes a good offensive lineman. Nix has good size and could potentially make his way to a starting position at guard in a power blocking system. He should at least become a decent backup on the OL.

Grade A

26. Preason waiver claims Hanson, Adams, and Francies - Hanson is an experienced slot corner. He's nowhere near one of the best but what he does do good is help make turnovers. He also gets in on his share of tackles. Francies became our KR after Ford was injured. Adams began the year as the PR and ended up starting at CB before injuries put him on IR. Adams showed solid potential at CB but seemed to get hurt every game.

Grade B

27. Claimed Willie Smith off waivers - Our hunt for a backup LT ended up with Willie Smith. When Barnes was injured Smith started at RT a few games. He performed so badly that when Barnes came back, Smith fell to the inactive list in favor of Bergstrom as the backup tackle. What's worse is that we had previously cut Barksdale after Smith's first start when Smith didnt play as badly as he did afterwards.

Grade D

28. Cut Chekwa, put on PS, eventually resigned - Another roster gamble that worked. Chekwa will be back in 2013 to compete for a roster spot again.

Grade B

28. Cut Van Dyke - We needed CBs badly. We ended up with Hanson, Adams, and Ross but Ross we went through other guys like Pat Lee and someone else before we ended up with Ross. IMO we should have made room on the roster for another CB and kept Van Dyke. I warned after final cuts that we were once again not very deep in our secondary. I prefer to keep more bodies back there because these guys are so important and they tend to get hurt.

Grade C

29. Cut Barksdale - We previously had traded a second round pick for the third round pick where we got Barksdale and the late round pick we got Jones. That's because Barksdale was a good looking power blocking RT prospect. When we decided to go back to zone blocking, it pushed Barksdale's talent to the back seat. So in that regard I can understand that Barksdale was no longer in our plans. You have to believe though that Barksdale had some trade value. Instead of trading Barksdale we kept 10 offensive linemen on the roster until we needed the roster spot, then cut Barksdale. Barksdale got claimed by the Rams and even started two games at LT for them as an injury replacement. What's most disgusting is that we cut Barksdale in favor of Willie Smith who doesnt deserve the roster spot. Now it appears we might go back to power blocking and if that's the case, we lost a talented prospect.

Grade F

30. Midseason post injury signings Gaither, Ross, Hagan, Burnett, Olawale, Stewart - Not a bad group. The only guy's potential I really like is Ross. Ross has the ability to play both CB and FS as well as special teams. That makes him a good extra DB. Gaither is a veteran who is a natural weakside LB but has played middle LB as an injury replacement before. He has been the starting MLB since McClain's demotion but should only be counted on as a backup. Burnett is a young guy with potential. If he improves I could see him making the team again. I think we should upgrade over Olawale but he fits our need for big RB who can play both as a backup FB and bruising big bodied RB. Stewart was a practice squad guy who got promoted when McFadden and Goodson was hurt. I'm not a fan of Stewart but the coaching staff favored him over Jones who they dont trust because of blocking and fumbling issues. I think we can get one guy capable of replacing both Stewart and Olawale. At least we definately could if you trust Jones at all.

Grade C

31. Midseason injury/performance cuts Bartell and Lee - Bartell wasnt the same after his injury and even before wasnt all that. Lee's injuries were more minor and we probably should have kept him around until Bartell could prove he was healthy. Again I'd like to see McKenzie allocate a little more roster space to our DBs. We shouldnt have to move Huff to corner all the time and watch Giordano start the game.

Grade C

32. Office restructure - McKenzie definately seems to be a person who wants to take charge and make changes. Things like modernizing the facility make sense. Evaluating everyone down to the people who sell the tickets may be going too far. He needs to have some of that mentality but like I said before "if it aint broke, dont fix it". If someone is capable of selling tickets you dont need to fire them and bring in someone who you think is better. Really! That person is working to make a living and they are an obvious Raider fan and member of the community. Be careful Reggie! The things that scares me most though is that he wants a complete new scouting staff from the ground up. We had some good people in our scouting department. I dont believe it was broke so I dont believe in fixing it. At least keep those who were doing the best job for us. At least McKenzie has said he believes the scouting department is the most important thing in the organization. He should feel the need to get it right and he better if he wants to stay here a long time. Its too early to give a real grade because we havent even hired the new scouts yet.

Grade C

That's a lot! What did I miss?

Good write-up. What grade would you give him for overall performance?
Probably a C. Many of the most important decisions are still in the early phases. Cant really grade the future scouting department, Allen's career, or all the rookie choices. The poor season is mainly the result of just a few bad choices... ousting the former coaching staff, not signing a quality CB, cutting Wimbley without a ready replacement at passing down DE, and playing along with changing the offensive line for zone blocking. Other things werent so much his fault like the decision to hire Knapp, Seymour and Spencer getting hurt, not having any high draft picks, and having to create a lot of cap savings before he could sign FAs. I like the fact that he's organized and knows how to do what he wants to do. Its just a matter of doing it successfully. McKenzie is a rookie GM who got stuck with limited wiggle room to bring in new players and he hired a rookie HC who hired the wrong OC. So I cant blame everything on McKenzie. It was a bad season but it all started because Al Davis died and there was nothing anybody could do about that. Once the new scouting department is in place, we've had more time to evaluate Allen, and McKenzie gets a chance to bring in more big contract players then we'll find out how good or bad he really is.

That is a damn good write up UC.

RM had more hits then misses in the draft. He seems to have found two very solid players in Burress and Bergstrom, which is encouraging.

From everything I hear the Raiders are still going have a rough time with the cap this year, so signing quality FAs will be a challenge.

Given the caps woes and their need to improve the roster in almost every area I can see Reggie trading down and picking up extra picks in the second and/or third.

Questions:

Is Russell still a drain on their cap? Uuugh!

Maybe I missed it but wasn't Stevie Brown on the team in preseason? He ended up getting cut and signed by the Giants and played well for them.

Will we get any compensation for losing Routt to FA?

That is a damn good write up UC. RM had more hits then misses in the draft. He seems to have found two very solid players in Burress and Bergstrom, which is encouraging.From everything I hear the Raiders are still going have a rough time with the cap this year, so signing quality FAs will be a challenge. Given the caps woes and their need to improve the roster in almost every area I can see Reggie trading down and picking up extra picks in the second and/or third. Questions:Is Russell still a drain on their cap? Uuugh!Maybe I missed it but wasn't Stevie Brown on the team in preseason? He ended up getting cut and signed by the Giants and played well for them.Will we get any compensation for losing Routt to FA?
Routt was released not a free agent so I don't think we will get compensation for him.

That is a damn good write up UC. RM had more hits then misses in the draft. He seems to have found two very solid players in Burress and Bergstrom, which is encouraging.From everything I hear the Raiders are still going have a rough time with the cap this year, so signing quality FAs will be a challenge. Given the caps woes and their need to improve the roster in almost every area I can see Reggie trading down and picking up extra picks in the second and/or third. Questions:Is Russell still a drain on their cap? Uuugh!Maybe I missed it but wasn't Stevie Brown on the team in preseason? He ended up getting cut and signed by the Giants and played well for them.Will we get any compensation for losing Routt to FA?
Routt was released not a free agent so I don't think we will get compensation for him.
I believe Stevie Brown was released last year, along with Sterling Moore who also has been playing well for the Pats. Two young DBs the Raiders sure could have used this year.

Probably a C. Many of the most important decisions are still in the early phases. Cant really grade the future scouting department, Allen's career, or all the rookie choices. The poor season is mainly the result of just a few bad choices... ousting the former coaching staff, not signing a quality CB, cutting Wimbley without a ready replacement at passing down DE, and playing along with changing the offensive line for zone blocking. Other things werent so much his fault like the decision to hire Knapp, Seymour and Spencer getting hurt, not having any high draft picks, and having to create a lot of cap savings before he could sign FAs. I like the fact that he's organized and knows how to do what he wants to do. Its just a matter of doing it successfully. McKenzie is a rookie GM who got stuck with limited wiggle room to bring in new players and he hired a rookie HC who hired the wrong OC. So I cant blame everything on McKenzie. It was a bad season but it all started because Al Davis died and there was nothing anybody could do about that. Once the new scouting department is in place, we've had more time to evaluate Allen, and McKenzie gets a chance to bring in more big contract players then we'll find out how good or bad he really is.
Its going to take time... Al Davis built this organization his way and ran it his way for what? 50 years? McKenzie is not going to be able to wipe the slate clean and bring the Raiders into the 21st century over night. I don't know any knowledgeable Raider fans who thought just because Al Davis passed the team would somehow miraculously become a playoff team overnight (like so many non-Raider fans said). Most were aware this was going to be a down year... Just not as bad as it was. Going into the season with Spencer and Bartell penciled in as the starters we had to know we would have issues on defense, the offense was a bright spot in 2011 and something to build on. And thats where I think McKenzie went wrong. He shouldn't have fired Hue and messed with the offense in my opinion. I'm glad Knapp is gone, now what? The players are going to have to learn a new system again. They may not have fired the HC this time but there still isn't any coaching continuity. As someone posted before, this team has no leadership. And if you ask me, they haven't had any real leadership since the days of Gruden, Gannon, Brown, Rice and Woodson. This is why I'm ok with firing the scouting department. Now I understand that the scouts for Al Davis were probably more like "information gatherers" and Al did the rest. Still, outside of McFadden and Moore the team sorely lacks talent. Now that Al is gone, his eyes and ears should go as well. It's a good idea in my opinion to get some new scouts in there, that may have a better eye for intangibles such as leadership qualities as well as on field football skills (not just speed guys and athletes). The organization needs a serious overhaul from top to bottom, I give it 3 years.

Its going to take time... Al Davis built this organization his way and ran it his way for what? 50 years? McKenzie is not going to be able to wipe the slate clean and bring the Raiders into the 21st century over night. I don't know any knowledgeable Raider fans who thought just because Al Davis passed the team would somehow miraculously become a playoff team overnight (like so many non-Raider fans said). Most were aware this was going to be a down year... Just not as bad as it was. Going into the season with Spencer and Bartell penciled in as the starters we had to know we would have issues on defense, the offense was a bright spot in 2011 and something to build on. And thats where I think McKenzie went wrong. He shouldn't have fired Hue and messed with the offense in my opinion. I'm glad Knapp is gone, now what? The players are going to have to learn a new system again. They may not have fired the HC this time but there still isn't any coaching continuity. As someone posted before, this team has no leadership. And if you ask me, they haven't had any real leadership since the days of Gruden, Gannon, Brown, Rice and Woodson. This is why I'm ok with firing the scouting department. Now I understand that the scouts for Al Davis were probably more like "information gatherers" and Al did the rest. Still, outside of McFadden and Moore the team sorely lacks talent. Now that Al is gone, his eyes and ears should go as well. It's a good idea in my opinion to get some new scouts in there, that may have a better eye for intangibles such as leadership qualities as well as on field football skills (not just speed guys and athletes). The organization needs a serious overhaul from top to bottom, I give it 3 years.
:goodposting:

Briefly:

Any intelligent Raiders fan knows the hand McKenzie and Allen were dealt. If you are of a mind that they should fire Allen, and feel he was given a fair shake, or that McKenzie should be fired, you are a f###ing idiot, suck at life, and should slam your head into a car door until something smart comes out.

Link to Raider free agents: http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2013/1/2/3829872/oakland-raiders-2013-free-agents

Seymour had his contract void because of playing time language in his contract. He's a free agent. My assumption is he is gone, and won't give any discounts for being grossly overpaid for recent years. No hard feelings, see ya.

Des Bryant, Matt Shaughnessy, Mike Mitchell, Brandon Myers, all completed rookie contracts, I could see interest in bringing all of them back. I like Bryant the most. Mitchell is more cheerleader/special teams demon than actual player, Shaughnessy gets more credit for having accomplished nothing than any player in recent history, and Myers is just a guy. Both of them have had their moments, but let's not go overboard.

Lechler is a free agent, we just don't have the room for the highest paid punter in the league. Word is we are already up against the cap.

Leinart is a free agent. If I have to drive to Oakland and cut off his hands to ensure he doesn't re-sign, than I will do it.

Wheeeler is a FA. Hope he re-signs, these are the kind of free agents we will be looking for, by the way. Solid young-ish vets with low price tags.

Would you like 18 mill in cap room to play with next year?? Wave bye-bye to Rolando McClain, Tommy Kelly, and Heyward-Bey. Hey, I like DHB as well, but 7.7 mill in cap room is a bit high for a nice guy/average WR.

It's way, way too early to speculate on draft plans.....well, actually it's not, I love doing that, but it's too early to make any confident predictions. The combine will see a massive shake-up in rankings, as will post draft workouts, etc. I am sure McKenzie would love to get three cheaper draft picks (or more) for the #3 pick, but there needs to be a player at #3 worth the flowers. I am really looking forward to wasting a lot of time over the next few months looking at the prospects. My first thought is that big mamma jamma DT, Lotulelei. What I am really rooting for is that Geno Smith shoots back up the boards, and either gets taken by KC, or someone traded up with us for him.

Another good posting. The only exception is I think Meyers is more than just a guy. I am not saying he is a top flight TE, but he is more than a stopgap. I would throw a boatload of money at him, but I wouldn't blink if they signed him to a long term contract.

DHB needs to restructure or he should be jettisoned. Kelly and Palmer also need to restructure, but after some thought I would like to see them return regardless. As you point out, if they can get these three contracts restructure they would get some cap relief and may have some money to sign a solid FA or two.

Briefly:Any intelligent Raiders fan knows the hand McKenzie and Allen were dealt. If you are of a mind that they should fire Allen, and feel he was given a fair shake, or that McKenzie should be fired, you are a f###ing idiot, suck at life, and should slam your head into a car door until something smart comes out.
I am fine with both returning and yes they were put in a tough spot to start, but they did not have a good year.The Knapp hire was a disaster of epic proportions and everyone knew it when he was hired except them and in-game adjustments from Allen and his staff were sorely lacking.They have to do better next year is all I am saying.

'ICON211 said:
'massraider said:
Briefly:Any intelligent Raiders fan knows the hand McKenzie and Allen were dealt. If you are of a mind that they should fire Allen, and feel he was given a fair shake, or that McKenzie should be fired, you are a f###ing idiot, suck at life, and should slam your head into a car door until something smart comes out.
I am fine with both returning and yes they were put in a tough spot to start, but they did not have a good year.The Knapp hire was a disaster of epic proportions and everyone knew it when he was hired except them and in-game adjustments from Allen and his staff were sorely lacking.They have to do better next year is all I am saying.
IIRC correctly Allen was hired a little late, which limited his choices.Just heard that the raider staff will coach the senior bowl. The gives the staff to study these player up close and hopefully make some wise draft choices.

'ICON211 said:
'massraider said:
IIRC correctly Allen was hired a little late, which limited his choices.Just heard that the raider staff will coach the senior bowl. The gives the staff to study these player up close and hopefully make some wise draft choices.
How do they determine this? Randomly? Or by wins and losses?

'ICON211 said:
'massraider said:
How do they determine this? Randomly? Or by wins and losses?
Worst teams get asked if they want to do it. Chiefs have no coaching staff, they're out. Jags turned it down, really dumb move by them. I don't know where the Lions were on the pecking order, but they get to coach the South side to the Raiders North side. I agree that it's a huge head start into the offseason recruitment process to coach the Senior Bowl. Last year, the Washinton Redskins coached it and they are now in the playoffs. Course, having an RG3 helps, but picking a 6th round RB gem doesn't hurt either, not to mention hitting on Kirk Cousins. They aced the 2012 draft and set their team up for the future. We should be so lucky.

Really like to see who we are thinking about for the OC position.

Anyone on board for J. Jones the LB as our first pick?

Really like to see who we are thinking about for the OC position.Anyone on board for J. Jones the LB as our first pick?
JJ would be a very nice addition and something the Raiders sorely need: playmakers. That said I prefer the Raiders trade down and pick up a second round pick, if the opportunity presents itself.

Really like to see who we are thinking about for the OC position.Anyone on board for J. Jones the LB as our first pick?
If we do not trade down this is the guy I want.
Agreed! If they do trade down to mid-late 1st, I hope they go after Mingo or Te'o. They sorely need DB help too. The only DB I really have any familiarity with is Poyer, he always seems to be around the ball and isn't afraid to stick his hat in there and make a tackle.Curious about Amerson and Mathieu also. They're tall DBs, seems to be the trend lately.

Briefly:

Any intelligent Raiders fan knows the hand McKenzie and Allen were dealt. If you are of a mind that they should fire Allen, and feel he was given a fair shake, or that McKenzie should be fired, you are a f###ing idiot, suck at life, and should slam your head into a car door until something smart comes out.

Link to Raider free agents: http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2013/1/2/3829872/oakland-raiders-2013-free-agents

Seymour had his contract void because of playing time language in his contract. He's a free agent. My assumption is he is gone, and won't give any discounts for being grossly overpaid for recent years. No hard feelings, see ya.

Des Bryant, Matt Shaughnessy, Mike Mitchell, Brandon Myers, all completed rookie contracts, I could see interest in bringing all of them back. I like Bryant the most. Mitchell is more cheerleader/special teams demon than actual player, Shaughnessy gets more credit for having accomplished nothing than any player in recent history, and Myers is just a guy. Both of them have had their moments, but let's not go overboard.

Lechler is a free agent, we just don't have the room for the highest paid punter in the league. Word is we are already up against the cap.

Leinart is a free agent. If I have to drive to Oakland and cut off his hands to ensure he doesn't re-sign, than I will do it.

Wheeeler is a FA. Hope he re-signs, these are the kind of free agents we will be looking for, by the way. Solid young-ish vets with low price tags.

Would you like 18 mill in cap room to play with next year?? Wave bye-bye to Rolando McClain, Tommy Kelly, and Heyward-Bey. Hey, I like DHB as well, but 7.7 mill in cap room is a bit high for a nice guy/average WR.

It's way, way too early to speculate on draft plans.....well, actually it's not, I love doing that, but it's too early to make any confident predictions. The combine will see a massive shake-up in rankings, as will post draft workouts, etc. I am sure McKenzie would love to get three cheaper draft picks (or more) for the #3 pick, but there needs to be a player at #3 worth the flowers. I am really looking forward to wasting a lot of time over the next few months looking at the prospects. My first thought is that big mamma jamma DT, Lotulelei. What I am really rooting for is that Geno Smith shoots back up the boards, and either gets taken by KC, or someone traded up with us for him.
:goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread