What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Obama To Announce Uncostitutional Amnesty (2 Viewers)

Lie #10: Scripture tells us, we shall not oppress a stranger: It’s great to see him quoting the Bible for once, but nice try. There are different variations of this verse throughout the Bible, but each one uses the Hebrew word “Ger” to describe what Obama translates as “stranger.” A Ger is a convert to Judaism. The commandment was not referring to people who illegally migrate to a nation state.
Very interesting that a conservative website would actually choose to argue this point.

Seems like someone different is running the Schochet account recently. Definitely a different posting style wise & tone

ypu got that from one of those anti immigrant websites (there are dozens of them) and they're very misleading. Illegals represent a net benefit.
You keep saying that, yet you've never once been able to show a study with that conclusion...
This article references a few different studies on the relationship between immigration, jobs, and wages: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/the_great_divergence/features/2010/the_united_states_of_inequality/did_immigration_create_the_great_divergence.html

Not related directly, but I think it is a good read.

Seems like someone different is running the Schochet account recently. Definitely a different posting style wise & tone
Really? In what way? I think if you asked some of my biggest longtime critics here (jon mx, Rich Conway, Strikes2k) they would tell you I've been fairly consistent on this issue.

Lie #5: Deport Felons: Obama claims he is going to focus on deporting felons. Yet, he has done the opposite. 36,000 convicted criminal aliens were released last year, 80,000 criminal aliens encountered by ICE weren’t even placed into deportation proceedings, 167,000 criminal aliens who were ordered deported are still at large, 341,000 criminal aliens released by ICE without deportation orders are known to be free and at large in the US. Again, this is cessation of deportations for everyone. They are leaving no illegal behind.
First you use the word "felon", then you use the word "convicted criminal". You do know that those two things are not necessarily the same......riiiiiiight?

As far as John Boehner goes, I'm not a huge fan (who is?) but he was in an impossible situation here. The Republican establishment, of which he is a member, desperately want to resolve this issue in order to avoid alienating Latino Americans. In addition, they are heavily tied to the Chamber of Commerce, which has always been strongly in favor of a continual free flow of labor from our southern borders, and favors a path to citizenship. But the conservative base is not in favor of any of these things.

Beginning with the 2010 elections, Republicans promoted more conservative (Tea Party) candidates for House seats, seeing it as a means to energize the Republican base and to take control of the House of Representatives, which they managed to do. But you reap what you sew: ever since then, John Boehner has had to manage a caucus filled with people who want nothing to do with the way Boehner, as an establishment Republican, was used to doing business. On this issue in particular conservatives stated in no uncertain terms that if he brought the immigration reform package to a vote, he would have lost his role as speaker,. and been replaced by a much more hard line conservative. Which Boehner recognized would have been a national calamity for the GOP. So Boehner chose not to bring the bill up.
Link to the bolded?

Are Republicans really that upset over this? This gives them the cover to actually put a policy in place and can say we had to do it. So while I don't agree with Obama doing it this way, I think in the end this was the only way it was going to get done!
I'm more disappointed in the Republicans for letting it come to this. Yet another Boehner failure. He sucks.
Your opinions here are pretty dense. Odumbo just set precedent for any president to act over congressional 'inaction'. Here is a newsflash for tools like you...Congress is not required to act on anything. If people do not like that, we have a system for this, vote them out.

Not only that, but this idiot did not even grant a full amnesty and they are not getting many benefits. Do you think they will be happy with this? They will not. I will give it until Monday until the whining starts. Meanwhile, this idiot has done nothing but create a huge problem. Believe it or not, but there are is actually a sizable Republican contingent who support amnesty in some form. That probably is not happening now, as Obdubo has done nothing here but totally inflamed the far right wing of the party. The sad part about this is that he did it deliberately. This is divisiveness at it worst and anyone who agrees with this is a tool of the highest order.
i love it when anti illegal immigration conservatives think they know what Latino Americans are thinking .Here's a tip: the vast majority of Latino Americans are going to absolutely adore what Obama did last night , and absolutely detest the GOP's reaction to it.
My point exactly. Yet again, Obama has done a masterful job of taking the spotlight away from Republican victories. All because of the Republican refusal to vote on this in the House.F Boehner.
nothing to do with Boehner. Everything to do with the conservative base .
pretty sure it had everything to do with Boehner being fearful that if he brought it to a vote he would kiss his leadership position goodbye.

this seems to be a losing issue for the Republicans and they seem to be falling right into Obama's trap of getting all lathered up. The Republicans would be wise to tone down the rhetoric and still express their concerns over the legality of the President's action but mostly they should call Obama's bluff and work on drafting an immigration bill that they can pass very early in the next session. Let the courts sort out Obama's actions are legal.
Yeah, I'm not sure what it means when he says it's "nothing to do with Boehner." It's entirely to do with Boehner wanting to keep his position. As for working on a bill they can pass, the bill that passed the Senate absolutely would pass the house if Boehner let it come to a vote, but there's a vocal contingent of Republicans that want nothing to do with any sort of immigration reform, so in that sense, there's no such thing as "a bill they can pass" and expect Obama to sign.

As far as John Boehner goes, I'm not a huge fan (who is?) but he was in an impossible situation here. The Republican establishment, of which he is a member, desperately want to resolve this issue in order to avoid alienating Latino Americans. In addition, they are heavily tied to the Chamber of Commerce, which has always been strongly in favor of a continual free flow of labor from our southern borders, and favors a path to citizenship. But the conservative base is not in favor of any of these things.

Beginning with the 2010 elections, Republicans promoted more conservative (Tea Party) candidates for House seats, seeing it as a means to energize the Republican base and to take control of the House of Representatives, which they managed to do. But you reap what you sew: ever since then, John Boehner has had to manage a caucus filled with people who want nothing to do with the way Boehner, as an establishment Republican, was used to doing business. On this issue in particular conservatives stated in no uncertain terms that if he brought the immigration reform package to a vote, he would have lost his role as speaker,. and been replaced by a much more hard line conservative. Which Boehner recognized would have been a national calamity for the GOP. So Boehner chose not to bring the bill up.
Link to the bolded?
Oh it was all over the place last year. I wouldn't know where to look now, but conservative leaders all appeared on the talk shows and stated that if Boehner brought the bill up he would be gone.

Really? In what way? I think if you asked some of my biggest longtime critics here (jon mx, Rich Conway, Strikes2k) they would tell you I've been fairly consistent on this issue.
More curt with a healthy heaping condescension sprinkled in
I don't think I'm any more condescending than normal. ;)

As for curtness, thanks for the concern. From now on I will make my replies much more long winded. :excited:

I don't think Obama ever used the words "unconstitutional". He said that as President he didn't have the power to do it. He was either wrong (or right) or being deceptive when he said that. Who knows? Either way, it's an embarrassing moment for him. But it doesn't really affect the question of whether or not what he did last night was constitutional.
True

In any case it's a moot point because the Republicans will do nothing to challenge the legality other than rhetoric, IMO.
Likely true.

This guy, however, is going to challenge the legality of Obama's immigration plan...

Arizona's Arpaio sues Obama on immigration
I think any lawsuits on the matter will come through the states. Better that it gets cleaned up sooner than later.

Are Republicans really that upset over this? This gives them the cover to actually put a policy in place and can say we had to do it. So while I don't agree with Obama doing it this way, I think in the end this was the only way it was going to get done!
I'm more disappointed in the Republicans for letting it come to this. Yet another Boehner failure. He sucks.
Your opinions here are pretty dense. Odumbo just set precedent for any president to act over congressional 'inaction'. Here is a newsflash for tools like you...Congress is not required to act on anything. If people do not like that, we have a system for this, vote them out.

Not only that, but this idiot did not even grant a full amnesty and they are not getting many benefits. Do you think they will be happy with this? They will not. I will give it until Monday until the whining starts. Meanwhile, this idiot has done nothing but create a huge problem. Believe it or not, but there are is actually a sizable Republican contingent who support amnesty in some form. That probably is not happening now, as Obdubo has done nothing here but totally inflamed the far right wing of the party. The sad part about this is that he did it deliberately. This is divisiveness at it worst and anyone who agrees with this is a tool of the highest order.
i love it when anti illegal immigration conservatives think they know what Latino Americans are thinking .Here's a tip: the vast majority of Latino Americans are going to absolutely adore what Obama did last night , and absolutely detest the GOP's reaction to it.
My point exactly. Yet again, Obama has done a masterful job of taking the spotlight away from Republican victories. All because of the Republican refusal to vote on this in the House.F Boehner.
pretty sure it had everything to do with Boehner being fearful that if he brought it to a vote he would kiss his leadership position goodbye.this seems to be a losing issue for the Republicans and they seem to be falling right into Obama's trap of getting all lathered up. The Republicans would be wise to tone down the rhetoric and still express their concerns over the legality of the President's action but mostly they should call Obama's bluff and work on drafting an immigration bill that they can pass very early in the next session. Let the courts sort out Obama's actions are legal.
Yeah, I'm not sure what it means when he says it's "nothing to do with Boehner." It's entirely to do with Boehner wanting to keep his position. As for working on a bill they can pass, the bill that passed the Senate absolutely would pass the house if Boehner let it come to a vote, but there's a vocal contingent of Republicans that want nothing to do with any sort of immigration reform, so in that sense, there's no such thing as "a bill they can pass" and expect Obama to sign.
And there were House bills that would have passed the Senate if Reid allowed a vote. That's how these things work.

What are the differences between the Senate bill and what Obama is proposing?
The Senate bill is an all-encompassing bill which involves spending serious money on the border and giving illegals a path to citizenship after a long and grueling process. All Obama is doing is telling 4-5 million illegals who have legal children growing up here, we're not going to deport you. There is no talk of making them citizens. And it's only for the remainder of Obama's presidency- any future President can revoke this (though, in all probability, they never will.)

What are the differences between the Senate bill and what Obama is proposing?
There are quite a few. There are summaries of the bill out there if you want to read up.

The two biggest difference are probably the border security measures and the path to citizenship.

timschochet said:
HellToupee said:
You're certainly consistent on this issue. You've recently become a lot more shrill and less thoughtful/rational.

jonessed said:
njherdfan said:
Baloney Sandwich said:
timschochet said:
jamny said:
timschochet said:
meatwad1 said:
jamny said:
greenroom said:

pretty sure it had everything to do with Boehner being fearful that if he brought it to a vote he would kiss his leadership position goodbye.this seems to be a losing issue for the Republicans and they seem to be falling right into Obama's trap of getting all lathered up. The Republicans would be wise to tone down the rhetoric and still express their concerns over the legality of the President's action but mostly they should call Obama's bluff and work on drafting an immigration bill that they can pass very early in the next session. Let the courts sort out Obama's actions are legal.
And there were House bills that would have passed the Senate if Reid allowed a vote. That's how these things work.
No, things don't usually work with shutting down the government, suing the president, and impeachment proceedings, all of which are being discussed.

jonessed said:
njherdfan said:
Baloney Sandwich said:
timschochet said:
jamny said:
timschochet said:
meatwad1 said:
jamny said:
greenroom said:

No, things don't usually work with shutting down the government, suing the president, and impeachment proceedings, all of which are being discussed.
:lol:

Slapdash said:
Rich Conway said:
ypu got that from one of those anti immigrant websites (there are dozens of them) and they're very misleading. Illegals represent a net benefit.
You keep saying that, yet you've never once been able to show a study with that conclusion...
This article references a few different studies on the relationship between immigration, jobs, and wages: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/the_great_divergence/features/2010/the_united_states_of_inequality/did_immigration_create_the_great_divergence.html

An OK read, but certainly nothing that shows what timschochet keeps claiming (that illegal immigration is a net benefit).

timschochet said:
HellToupee said:
You're certainly consistent on this issue. You've recently become a lot more shrill and less thoughtful/rational.
I HAVE NOT!

Slapdash said:
Rich Conway said:

An OK read, but certainly nothing that shows what timschochet keeps claiming (that illegal immigration is a net benefit).
That's because it's not.

jamny said:
timschochet said:

Link to the bolded?
On Monday, Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-Calif.) said Boehner should lose his job as speaker if he moves an immigration reform bill that does not have majority support of Republicans.

“If Speaker Boehner moves forward and permits this to come to a vote even though the majority of the Republicans in the House—and that’s if they do—oppose whatever it is that’s coming to a vote, he should be removed as Speaker,” Rohrabacher said.
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/will-boehner-lose-his-speakership-over-immigration-reform-maybe-he-says

Rep. Matt Salmon (R-Ariz.) said he believes that House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) would be thrown out as speaker if he allowed a vote on immigration reform legislation that a majority of House Republicans opposed.

That view was echoed by Rep. Tom McClintock (R-Calif.), who said a leader who uses “his authority to circumvent that majority would be cause for dismissal.”

Allowing such a vote to go forward could be the “straw that breaks the camel’s back” for Boehner said a group of conservatives on Capitol Hill on Wednesday.
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/gop-rep-boehner-s-goner-if-he-brings-immigration-bill-without-majority-gop-support

Thoughtful piece by Paul Krugman this morning:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/21/opinion/paul-krugman-immigration-children.html

First, there are more than a million young people in this country who came — yes, illegally — as children and have lived here ever since. Second, there are large numbers of children who were born here — which makes them U.S. citizens, with all the same rights you and I have — but whose parents came illegally, and are legally subject to being deported.

What should we do about these people and their families? There are some forces in our political life who want us to bring out the iron fist — to seek out and deport young residents who weren’t born here but have never known another home, to seek out and deport the undocumented parents of American children and force those children either to go into exile or to fend for themselves.

Continue reading the main story Continue reading the main story
Continue reading the main story
But that isn’t going to happen, partly because, as a nation, we aren’t really that cruel; partly because that kind of crackdown would require something approaching police-state rule; and, largely, I’m sorry to say, because Congress doesn’t want to spend the money that such a plan would require. In practice, undocumented children and the undocumented parents of legal children aren’t going anywhere.

The real question, then, is how we’re going to treat them. Will we continue our current regime of malign neglect, denying them ordinary rights and leaving them under the constant threat of deportation? Or will we treat them as the fellow Americans they already are?

The truth is that sheer self-interest says that we should do the humane thing. Today’s immigrant children are tomorrow’s workers, taxpayers and neighbors. Condemning them to life in the shadows means that they will have less stable home lives than they should, be denied the opportunity to acquire skills and education, contribute less to the economy, and play a less positive role in society. Failure to act is just self-destructive.

But speaking for myself, I don’t care that much about the money, or even the social aspects. What really matters, or should matter, is the humanity. My parents were able to have the lives they did because America, despite all the prejudices of the time, was willing to treat them as people. Offering the same kind of treatment to today’s immigrant children is the practical course of action, but it’s also, crucially, the right thing to do. So let’s applaud the president for doing it.

Just for you, Rich:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/20/news/economy/immigration-myths/index.html

5 Illegal Immigration myths debunked:

Myth # 1: They don't pay taxes

Undocumented immigrants are already U.S. taxpayers.

Collectively, they paid an estimated $10.6 billion to state and local taxes in 2010, according to the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy (ITEP), a research organization that works on tax policy issues. Contributions varied by state. In Montana they contributed $2 million. In California, more than $2.2 billion. On average they pay about 6.4% of their income in state and local taxes, ITEP said.

A 2007 Congressional Budget Office (CBO) report on the impact of undocumented immigrants on the budgets of local and state governments cited IRS figures showing that 50% to 75% of the about 11 million unauthorized U.S. immigrants file and pay income taxes each year.

A 2013 CBO analysis of the failed bipartisan bill introduced by the so-called "gang of 8" that would have created a path to legal status for many undocumented immigrants found that increasing legal immigration would increase government spending on refundable tax credits, Medicaid and health insurance subsidies, among other federal benefits. But it would also create even more tax revenue by way of income and payroll taxes. That could reduce deficits by $175 billion over the first 10 years and by at least $700 billion in the second decade.

ITEP estimates that allowing certain immigrants to stay in the country and work legally would boost state and local tax contributions by $2 billion a year.

Myth # 2: They don't pay into Social Security

The truth is that undocumented immigrants contribute more in payroll taxes than they will ever consume in public benefits.

Take Social Security. According to the Social Security Administration (SSA), unauthorized immigrants -- who are not eligible to receive Social Security benefits -- have paid an eye-popping $100 billion into the fund over the past decade.

"They are paying an estimated $15 billion a year into Social Security with no intention of ever collecting benefits," Stephen Goss, chief actuary of the SSA told CNNMoney. "Without the estimated 3.1 million undocumented immigrants paying into the system, Social Security would have entered persistent shortfall of tax revenue to cover payouts starting in 2009," he said.

As the baby boom generation ages and retires, immigrant workers are key to shoring up Social Security and counteracting the effects of the decline in U.S.-born workers paying into the system, Goss said.

Without immigrants, the Social Security Board of Trustees projects that the system will no longer be able to pay the full promised benefits by 2037.

Myth #3: They drain the system

Undocumented immigrants do not qualify for welfare, food stamps, Medicaid, and most other public benefits. Most of these programs require proof of legal immigration status and under the 1996 welfare law, even legal immigrants cannot receive these benefits until they have been in the United States for more than five years.

Non-citizen immigrant adults and children are about 25% less likely to be signed up for Medicaid than their poor native-born equivalents and are also 37% less likely to receive food stamps, according to a 2013 study by the Cato Institute.

Citizen children of illegal immigrants -- often derogatorily referred to as "anchor babies" -- do qualify for social benefits. Also, undocumented immigrants are eligible for schooling and emergency medical care. Currently, the average unlawful immigrant household costs taxpayers $14,387 per household, according to a recent report by The Heritage Foundation. But in its 2013 "Immigration Myths and Facts" report, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce says most economists see providing these benefits as an investment for the future, when these children become workers and taxpayers.

A CBO report on the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2007 concluded that a path to legalization for immigrants would increase federal revenues by $48 billion. Such a plan would see $23 billion in increased costs from the use of public services, but ultimately, it would produce a surplus of $25 billion for government coffers, CBO said.

Myth # 4: They take American jobs

The American economy needs immigrant workers.

The belief that immigrants take jobs that can otherwise be filled by hard-working Americans has been disputed by an overwhelming number of economic research studies and data.

Removing the approximately 8 million unauthorized workers in the United States would not automatically create 8 million job openings for unemployed Americans, said Daniel Griswold, director of the Cato Institute's Center for Trade Policy Studies, in his 2011 testimony before the House Judiciary Sub-committee on Immigration Policy and Enforcement.

The reason, according to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, is two-fold. For one, removing millions of undocumented workers from the economy would also remove millions of entrepreneurs, consumers and taxpayers. The economy would actually lose jobs. Second, native-born workers and immigrant workers tend to possess different skills that often complement one another.

According to Griswold, immigrants, regardless of status, fill the growing gap between expanding low-skilled jobs and the shrinking pool of native-born Americans who are willing to take such jobs. By facilitating the growth of such sectors as retail, agriculture, landscaping, restaurants, and hotels, low-skilled immigrants have enabled those sectors to expand, attract investment, and create middle-class jobs in management, design and engineering, bookkeeping, marketing and other areas that employ U.S. citizens.

America's unions support the president's executive action. "For far too long, our broken immigration system has allowed employers to drive down wages and working conditions in our country," the AFL-CIO says on its website. "The brunt of the impact has been born by immigrant workers, who face the highest rates of wage theft, sexual harassment, and death and injury on the job."

Myth # 5: It's just a matter of following the law

Many Americans want immigrants to enter the country legally.

But under current immigration laws, there are very few options for legal immigration, the costs are increasingly prohibitive and the wait for any kind of status can be long and frustrating.

According to the State Department, that imaginary "immigration line" is already 4.4 million people long and depending on the type of visa sought and the country of origin, the wait can be years to decades long. In some countries, such as the Philippines and Mexico people have been waiting over 20 years for approval of a family-sponsored visa.

Immigrants can legally get to the U.S by being sponsored by an employer or a family member, they can enter the country as refugees, or they could receive one of the selectively distributed professional or diversity visas. The Diversity Visa Program makes 55,000 green cards available to persons from countries with low rates of immigration to the U.S.

According to the State Department, the fees to obtain permanent U.S. visas can range from $200 to over $700, excluding legal fees. Plus, there are visa quotas which limits immigration from any given country.

In many poor, violence-ridden countries, or in cases where parents are separated from their children, immigrants say the wait is unbearable, leaving many to resort to illegal border crossing.

That journey can be expensive and deadly.

Smugglers charge anywhere from $3000 to upwards of $70,000 depending on country of origin, mode of transport and distance travelled according to the Mexican Migration Project, a multidisciplinary research effort between investigators in Mexico and the U.S.

Many don't make it. According to federal records, more than 6,000 immigrants have died crossing the southern border since 1998

jamny said:
timschochet said:

Link to the bolded?
On Monday, Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-Calif.) said Boehner should lose his job as speaker if he moves an immigration reform bill that does not have majority support of Republicans.

“If Speaker Boehner moves forward and permits this to come to a vote even though the majority of the Republicans in the House—and that’s if they do—oppose whatever it is that’s coming to a vote, he should be removed as Speaker,” Rohrabacher said.
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/will-boehner-lose-his-speakership-over-immigration-reform-maybe-he-says

Rep. Matt Salmon (R-Ariz.) said he believes that House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) would be thrown out as speaker if he allowed a vote on immigration reform legislation that a majority of House Republicans opposed.

That view was echoed by Rep. Tom McClintock (R-Calif.), who said a leader who uses “his authority to circumvent that majority would be cause for dismissal.”

Allowing such a vote to go forward could be the “straw that breaks the camel’s back” for Boehner said a group of conservatives on Capitol Hill on Wednesday.
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/gop-rep-boehner-s-goner-if-he-brings-immigration-bill-without-majority-gop-support
Oh, if Dana Rohrabacher and Matt Salmon wanted it done, it was a done deal.

I'm sure there are always people saying things like that. Doesn't mean it would have happened and that Boehner believed it would.

That article I just posted, which appeared today in the CNN Money section, basically states everything that I have asserted for years, backed up by statistics and an overwhelming number of studies: illegal immigrants pay lots of taxes, they pay into Social Security, they receive very few benefits and are not a drain on the system, they pay much more than they will ever consume, they don't take American jobs, and the so-called "line" they're supposed to stay in really doesn't exist. In short, they are a NET BENEFIT.

Just so I have this straight, is there such a thing as amnesty that would be constitutional?
Of course. Nobody is challenging that. Republicans are challenging the ability of the President to take the actions he is doing by executive order instead of working with Congress.

That's all well and good, but even if we take those statistics and studies at face value, it doesn't show that illegal immigration is a net benefit. It doesn't show that it's a net benefit at the current level, or if there were more (or less).

jamny said:
timschochet said:

Link to the bolded?

I'm sure there are always people saying things like that. Doesn't mean it would have happened and that Boehner believed it would.
I misunderstood. I thought you were asking for links to conservatives stating his would lose his role as speaker.

timschochet said:
Yankee23Fan said:
Did he say anything about the 90-99% of the population that has seemed to just vanished? (Although, I have to admit, it appears none of them were from New Jersey which is odd, because I have to think that if I have the power to remove 90-99% of the Earth's population without anyone saying boo about it I'd like to think that I would start in Newark and work my way south, but that's just me.)
was it the Rapture? Maybe we've all been Left Behind.
Man I hope not. I have an awesome Rapture suit I've been hanging on to.

jamny said:
timschochet said:

Link to the bolded?

I misunderstood. I thought you were asking for links to conservatives stating his would lose his role as speaker.
Not some individuals. Tim made it sound like (in the bolded) conservatives as a block said he would be out. I'm sure every move he makes brings calls for him being removed. Hell, I've been saying it for a couple of years now. I just don't remember a unified coalition of leading conservatives saying it.

eta: thanks for the examples though. I do appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's all well and good, but even if we take those statistics and studies at face value, it doesn't show that illegal immigration is a net benefit. It doesn't show that it's a net benefit at the current level, or if there were more (or less).
:confused: If they paying more into the system than they're taking out, how can you deny that they're a net benefit?

And if there were less of them, then we wouldn't have gotten 100 billion paid into Social Security over the last 10 years. They are keeping that program afloat!

That article I just posted, which appeared today in the CNN Money section, basically states everything that I have asserted for years, backed up by statistics and an overwhelming number of studies: illegal immigrants pay lots of taxes, they pay into Social Security, they receive very few benefits and are not a drain on the system, they pay much more than they will ever consume, they don't take American jobs, and the so-called "line" they're supposed to stay in really doesn't exist. In short, they are a NET BENEFIT.
No one is making the claim that they don't pay taxes. No one is making the claim that they don't pay into SS. So we might as well throw out those first two "myths".

Let's take a look at myth #3... While illegal immigrants may not be eligible for welfare, food stamps, etc., let's not pretend that some aren't receiving them. The second paragraph directly contradicts the data here: http://cis.org/immigrant-welfare-use-2011 (Disclaimer: I have no idea if this organization is credible). The third paragraph notes some expenditures associated with illegal immigration (by no means all, of course), but simply dismisses it away by calling it an investment.

Myths #4 and #5 are entirely unrelated to whether illegal immigration is a net benefit to the economy or not.

So, basically, there's no data here that we can use to determine whether illegal immigration is a net benefit or not.

timschochet said:
Yankee23Fan said:
Did he say anything about the 90-99% of the population that has seemed to just vanished? (Although, I have to admit, it appears none of them were from New Jersey which is odd, because I have to think that if I have the power to remove 90-99% of the Earth's population without anyone saying boo about it I'd like to think that I would start in Newark and work my way south, but that's just me.)
Isn't everyone supposed to be naked for the rapture?

No one is making the claim that they don't pay taxes. No one is making the claim that they don't pay into SS. So we might as well throw out those first two "myths".

Let's take a look at myth #3... While illegal immigrants may not be eligible for welfare, food stamps, etc., let's not pretend that some aren't receiving them. The second paragraph directly contradicts the data here: http://cis.org/immigrant-welfare-use-2011 (Disclaimer: I have no idea if this organization is credible). The third paragraph notes some expenditures associated with illegal immigration (by no means all, of course), but simply dismisses it away by calling it an investment.

Myths #4 and #5 are entirely unrelated to whether illegal immigration is a net benefit to the economy or not.

So, basically, there's no data here that we can use to determine whether illegal immigration is a net benefit or not.
First off, as an aside, I don't believe the organization you posted IS credible, but that's just a personal opinion.

More importantly, you say that "no one is claiming they don't pay taxes or social security"- actually, Republican politicians DO make this claim all the time. But even if I accepted your statement, you can't just dismiss it out of hand. You apparently had no reaction to the fact that they over the last 10 years they paid 100 billion into SS alone- that's no small number. Further, you pass over the part of the article which cites studies which clearly state how much illegals cost the taxpayer ($14,000 per household per the Heritage Foundation) versus how much they bring in- already a net positive, to increase by 25 billion if we have a path to legalization.

So yes, you can always choose not to believe these statistics and studies presented, but if you accept them, there is no way not to conclude that they're a net benefit. IMO.

Just so I have this straight, is there such a thing as amnesty that would be constitutional?
Of course. Nobody is challenging that. Republicans are challenging the ability of the President to take the actions he is doing by executive order instead of working with Congress.
Not trying to be a ####, but this will come off that way. Anyone care to show me how this exact thing could be accomplished under the constitution?

New to Tim? He'll post a bunch of crap that he doesn't back up at all, then throw in a few links which say nothing remotely close to what he claims they say.

backlog and inefficiency?

no they arent. and unemployment benefits are not an economic stimulus either.

First off, as an aside, I don't believe the organization you posted IS credible, but that's just a personal opinion.

More importantly, you say that "no one is claiming they don't pay taxes or social security"- actually, Republican politicians DO make this claim all the time. But even if I accepted your statement, you can't just dismiss it out of hand. You apparently had no reaction to the fact that they over the last 10 years they paid 100 billion into SS alone- that's no small number. Further, you pass over the part of the article which cites studies which clearly state how much illegals cost the taxpayer ($14,000 per household per the Heritage Foundation) versus how much they bring in- already a net positive, to increase by 25 billion if we have a path to legalization.

So yes, you can always choose not to believe these statistics and studies presented, but if you accept them, there is no way not to conclude that they're a net benefit. IMO.
I'm well aware that illegals pay SS, income taxes, etc., so I can't imagine why you'd think I would have a significant reaction to this news. I also wouldn't likely have any particular reaction if you told me the earth was round.

I didn't pass over the $14K claim, but it's not what you think it is. That's a $14K net cost per illegal household, not a $14K cost. That is, the Heritage study ALREADY counted the taxes paid by illegals and still shows a $14K cost.

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2013/05/the-fiscal-cost-of-unlawful-immigrants-and-amnesty-to-the-us-taxpayer

In 2010, the average unlawful immigrant household received around $24,721 in government benefits and services while paying some $10,334 in taxes. This generated an average annual fiscal deficit (benefits received minus taxes paid) of around $14,387 per household. This cost had to be borne by U.S. taxpayers. Amnesty would provide unlawful households with access to over 80 means-tested welfare programs, Obamacare, Social Security, and Medicare. The fiscal deficit for each household would soar.

timschochet said:
Yankee23Fan said:
Isn't everyone supposed to be naked for the rapture?
So now I missed it and I'm overdressed! Seriously I can't catch a fricken break.

Just for you, Rich:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/20/news/economy/immigration-myths/index.html

5 Illegal Immigration myths debunked:

Myth # 1: They don't pay taxes

In California, more than $2.2 billion.
And they cost about 10 billion a year in services. That is a pretty poor return and nowhere near the net benefit you tout. It's more akin to a monetary bloodbath.
are the costs of uninsured motorists figured in too?

prolly not.

the issue is that Obama has usurped the power of Congress to make law, by using Executive power to legalize 5M immigrants. IN this case it was because of Congressional "INACTION"

which is your precedent.

previous Presidents have made executive decree's to resolve Congressional "ACTION", ie to tweak unintended results of laws Congress passed.

so assuming you keep this new power to make law via the Executive, then all future Presidents can use this new power to make law and then claim it was due to Congressional "inaction".

Well I tried anyhow. The article was filled with stats and studies and stated very plainly that illegals will never take out more from the system than they pay in. It seems to me that any reasonable person would conclude that the 100 billion paid into Social Security by itself alone pays for all the costs of illegals and then some , even in California, even if we accept Sand's 10 billion a year figure (which I'm highly skeptical about). But I know I'm never gonna convince most people that the benefits far outweigh the costs. It's true though and always has been.

Well I tried anyhow. The article was filled with stats and studies and stated very plainly that illegals will never take out more from the system than they pay in. It seems to me that any reasonable person would conclude that the 100 billion paid into Social Security by itself alone pays for all the costs of illegals and then some , even in California, even if we accept Sand's 10 billion a year figure (which I'm highly skeptical about). But I know I'm never gonna convince most people that the benefits far outweigh the costs. It's true though and always has been.
should prolly start hoarding water

the issue is that Obama has usurped the power of Congress to make law, by using Executive power to legalize 5M immigrants. IN this case it was because of Congressional "INACTION"

which is your precedent.

previous Presidents have made executive decree's to resolve Congressional "ACTION", ie to tweak unintended results of laws Congress passed.

so assuming you keep this new power to make law via the Executive, then all future Presidents can use this new power to make law and then claim it was due to Congressional "inaction".
if Fatness is correct in his posts then your assertion is false. Reagan did not issue an order to correct unintended consequences; the consequences were deliberate and fully intended, and Reagan issued an order to reverse it. So he is the one who set the precedent not Obama.

which is your precedent.

if Fatness is correct in his posts then your assertion is false. Reagan did not issue an order to correct unintended consequences; the consequences were deliberate and fully intended, and Reagan issued an order to reverse it. So he is the one who set the precedent not Obama.
not false:

it left President Reagan with a moral dilemma. Congress’ amnesty was large—just shy of 3 million people—and it had the unanticipated effect of splitting up freshly-legalized parents from their illegally-present minor children who did not qualify for relief.

So Reagan, seeing this family unity problem that Congress had not anticipated or addressed when it granted amnesty to millions of parents, issued an executive order to defer the removal of children of the people who had applied for immigration amnesty under Congress’ new law. He allowed those children to remain in the United States while their parents’ applications for amnesty were pending. A few years later, Bush 41 extended this bit of administrative grace to these same children plus certain spouses of the aliens who had actually been granted immigration amnesty under Congress’ new law.

Congress, though it had desired to grant amnesty, had not considered and not included the spouses and children. Importantly, nor had it excluded them. So Presidents Reagan and Bush 41 filled that statutory gap. “What do we do with spouses and children?” INS asked. “Well,” the executive branch leaders said, “defer their deportation. Decline to exercise your lawful authority for the particular cases that are related to those Congress has offered amnesty.”

Users who are viewing this thread