What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2011 Philadelphia Eagles Thread*** (1 Viewer)

I love how a guy who got vilified for being such a workaholic that his sons ended up drug addicts and criminals is now being labeled as someone who is losing control of his organization because he's on vacation for a week in Antigua. Ahhh, the internet.I would submit the more logical explanation is that Andy's top candidates aren't currently available for consideration (e.g., Trgovac). And if he REALLY wanted Jauron, they would've locked him down before the news of the McDermott firing even happened IMHO.
Just to clear up a few things...He can vacation in the islands all he wants, he's earned it. My post is based on opinions/reports from beat writers (newspapers) and has nothing to do with blogs or message boards - just good old fashioned newspapers. Writers who spend a lot of time around the team and the Novacare complex. Its their opinion that some of the mood has changed. The same was being said last offseason when Andy didn't really want to trade Donovan. Yet he was traded (much to the disbelief of many here). And its not HIS organization. Its Laurie's and Banner's. And they hired Roseman, who is on record as saying he's not a 'yes' man.There is certainly a growing belief, from reputable journalists, that the balance of power is not the same as it was. And that started last year. Andy's been on vacation, and coaches have left, people have been interviewed, and coaches have been hired during that time. Just throwing it out there...believe what you want.

I love how a guy who got vilified for being such a workaholic that his sons ended up drug addicts and criminals is now being labeled as someone who is losing control of his organization because he's on vacation for a week in Antigua. Ahhh, the internet.I would submit the more logical explanation is that Andy's top candidates aren't currently available for consideration (e.g., Trgovac). And if he REALLY wanted Jauron, they would've locked him down before the news of the McDermott firing even happened IMHO.
Just to clear up a few things...He can vacation in the islands all he wants, he's earned it. My post is based on opinions/reports from beat writers (newspapers) and has nothing to do with blogs or message boards - just good old fashioned newspapers. Writers who spend a lot of time around the team and the Novacare complex. Its their opinion that some of the mood has changed. The same was being said last offseason when Andy didn't really want to trade Donovan. Yet he was traded (much to the disbelief of many here). And its not HIS organization. Its Laurie's and Banner's. And they hired Roseman, who is on record as saying he's not a 'yes' man.There is certainly a growing belief, from reputable journalists, that the balance of power is not the same as it was. And that started last year. Andy's been on vacation, and coaches have left, people have been interviewed, and coaches have been hired during that time. Just throwing it out there...believe what you want.
and including the 3 examples ( mcabb kolb mcderm ) already shows there is some shifting going around

Its a defensive house cleaning....

Eagles let LB coach Shuey go

Apparently, the Eagles want to retool almost their entire defensive coaching staff.

Linebackers coach Bill Shuey's contract has expired and the team has decided not to new the deal, a source told FoxSports.com.

A league source has confirmed that Shuey's deal was not renewed.

With Shuey's departure the Eagles now have only three defensive coaches on staff -- recently-hired defensive line coach Jim Washburn, assistant linebackers coach Mike Caldwell and defensive quality control coach Mike Zordich.

The Eagles, of course, are still without a defensive coordinator after they fired Sean McDermott. Washburn replaced Rory Segrest who was fired with one year left on his deal. And defensive backs coach **** Jauron left to take the defensive coordinator position with the Browns.

Shuey just finished his 10th season with the Eagles. He spent the last three in charge of linebackers.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/blogs/...l#ixzz1C56TYoUU

Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

Just read the last 50+ posts or so to catch up.

Philly will be staying with a 4-3 based upon their personnel. Even Bill Parcells knows that you cannot come in and just dictate a defense - you have to play with what you have in Year 1 of a new DC and see who can fit in a 3-4 scheme.

The Eagles do not have enough LB talent to even consider going to a 3-4, but it should be noted that several of their (ahem) "sleeker" linebackers (as in too small) are more suited to a 3-4. The problem? no NT anywhere on that lineup - and Trent Cole is a 4-3 DE, not a 3-4 DE. He COULD be a Cameron Wake-style OLB or even a Woodley / Harrison OLB type, but that would limit what the Eagles could do. I would like to see a 4-3 with some flashes of 3-4 (as in getting a DE who could play with his hand up and give a 3-4 look, like Graham) but there's no guarantees.

On the new DL coach - great acquisition, should definitely help Dixon mature and could help get....

Haynesworth - questionable pickup, but if the DL coach can make him believe (and shut up and play) then who knows. I'd like to see Cole-Haynesworth-Dixon-Tapp (or Graham) as a solid starting group in 2011.

On the DC - Trgovac has to be the likely choice. Longshot is Pittsburgh's DC LeBeau, but I think he either stays with his heart in Pittsburgh or goes to Arizona.

Woodrow is spot on - the team needs to get off the damn field on third and long. Frustrating for years.

As for the offense - first, I want Akers back. Don't tell me he's the only reason that they lost in the playoffs. Second, I still say they need to sign and trade Vick. His value is super-high. 10+ teams desperate for a legit QB, make someone pay through the nose (preferably in the AFC) and roll with Kolb behind a better OL (which should be the #1 priority to improve this off-season). CB and LB come next.

Lastly - It is still Andy's team. Kolb was benched because the OL was a sieve and Vick's escapability was the only chance the offense had. Vick then became lightning in a bottle for 2-3 months. Kolb is still an NFL Top 20 Dynasty QB for a reason, and several teams would give a good amount to get him - but not nearly as much as they'd give for Vick.

Ooooh, can't wait for the Pro Bowl. :yes:

Its a defensive house cleaning....

Eagles let LB coach Shuey go

Apparently, the Eagles want to retool almost their entire defensive coaching staff.

Linebackers coach Bill Shuey's contract has expired and the team has decided not to new the deal, a source told FoxSports.com.

A league source has confirmed that Shuey's deal was not renewed.

With Shuey's departure the Eagles now have only three defensive coaches on staff -- recently-hired defensive line coach Jim Washburn, assistant linebackers coach Mike Caldwell and defensive quality control coach Mike Zordich.

The Eagles, of course, are still without a defensive coordinator after they fired Sean McDermott. Washburn replaced Rory Segrest who was fired with one year left on his deal. And defensive backs coach **** Jauron left to take the defensive coordinator position with the Browns.

Shuey just finished his 10th season with the Eagles. He spent the last three in charge of linebackers.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/blogs/...l#ixzz1C56TYoUU

I don't know much about the position coaches but this seems like another spot they could use help with some coaching. Hopefully we can get a firey veteran for this bunch too!

As for the offense - first, I want Akers back. Don't tell me he's the only reason that they lost in the playoffs. Second, I still say they need to sign and trade Vick. His value is super-high. 10+ teams desperate for a legit QB, make someone pay through the nose (preferably in the AFC) and roll with Kolb behind a better OL (which should be the #1 priority to improve this off-season). CB and LB come next.
I would also like Akers back, but so far its not a lock. Akers himself has hinted he may be gone. Was just listening to 97.5 and the talk was that the QB's have been less then impressive in their Senior Bowl workouts. Draft stocks may be dropping and Kolb's value could be going up. Talk radio fodder so take it FWIW.

I cant see how they could trade Vick and roll with Kolb. This offensive was DEAD when Kolb was in there. With Vick, everyone all a sudden woke up. Hard to explain but I am sure most know what I mean.

I cant see how they could trade Vick and roll with Kolb. This offensive was DEAD when Kolb was in there. With Vick, everyone all a sudden woke up. Hard to explain but I am sure most know what I mean.
Were they dead against Atlanta?They looked average against Tenn, but they were also w/o DJax.

You mean those 10 plays before he got a concussion?

Jeff Fisher is out as head coach of the Titans - what are the chances he is the defensive coordinator Andy Reid has been waiting for? We already got Washburn from Tennessee as the DL coach, maybe they all knew Fisher was going to leave and Washburn goes with him to Philly. I think that would be a great move.

Jeff Fisher is out as head coach of the Titans - what are the chances he is the defensive coordinator Andy Reid has been waiting for? We already got Washburn from Tennessee as the DL coach, maybe they all knew Fisher was going to leave and Washburn goes with him to Philly. I think that would be a great move.
You know, as soon as I heard the news I thought the same thing. Maybe it's a pipe dream that Fisher would take a step down like that, but a guy can dream right?

I don't see Fisher taking a coordinator job. He'll do a media gig and get a head coaching job in 2012 or 2013 of his choice.

Quite surprised by this. Something tells me VY might be back in play for the Titans.

As for Fisher, 95% sure he'd stay on the sidelines, but he does have ties to Philly - although not this regime (though I'm sure you can trace him to Reid via Green Bay).

Philly could spin it to Fish as a one-year spot to "boost his value" as the Eagles push for a title run in 2011, but that seems highly unlikely. Odds are that Fish doesn't need to boost the value and Philly won't want to replace DC again next year.

I don't see Fisher taking a coordinator job. He'll do a media gig and get a head coaching job in 2012 or 2013 of his choice.
Has Jeff Fisher done enough as a head coach to earn the job of his choice? 17 years coaching and only 6 playoff appearances (with a losing playoff record) and no championships. 11 of 17 seasons finished .500 or below. One SB appearance over a decade ago. I may be off on this, but I'd bet if he had coached in a city that valued the NFL team over the college team he wouldn't have lasted as long as he did in Tenn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has Jeff Fisher done enough as a head coach to earn the job of his choice? 17 years coaching and only 6 playoff appearances (with a losing playoff record) and no championships. 11 of 17 seasons finished .500 or below. One SB appearance over a decade ago. I may be off on this, but I'd bet if he had coached in a city that valued the NFL team over the college team he wouldn't have lasted as long as he did in Tenn.
I don't know of any coach that has 17 years tenure, and is well respected, that won't have options. The guy was the longest tenured coach in the NFL and was thought to be Jerry Jones' #1 target this offseason had he been available. He's been coveted by other teams including the 49ers at times during his career, too. No matter what we may think of his career (I agree he's not had the success his reputation would warrant), I do think he's genuinely perceived as a very good, if not great, coach by the majority of NFL execs and owners.

Name some free agents Tenn has signed in the past 5 to 10 years. Exactly. It's probably easier to think of players they have lost to free agency than they have signed. Tenn spends no money and he puts a hard working team on the field each season. They also played in 4 or 5 different stadiums in the past 15 years and have one of the best (top 5 or 6) playoff records. Don't just look at records and stats, try digging deeper.

John CLayton:

"Do not be surprised if Jeff Fisher ends up as the defensive coordinator in Philadelphia. Within the last 2 hours, Andy Reid has told 2 of the applicants for the position that the position has been filled. So do not be surprised if Fisher winds up very quickly in Philadelphia working with Andy Reid."

John CLayton:

"Do not be surprised if Jeff Fisher ends up as the defensive coordinator in Philadelphia. Within the last 2 hours, Andy Reid has told 2 of the applicants for the position that the position has been filled. So do not be surprised if Fisher winds up very quickly in Philadelphia working with Andy Reid."
Ummmm, WOW. If true, I'll be pleasantly shocked.

Name some free agents Tenn has signed in the past 5 to 10 years. Exactly. It's probably easier to think of players they have lost to free agency than they have signed. Tenn spends no money and he puts a hard working team on the field each season. They also played in 4 or 5 different stadiums in the past 15 years and have one of the best (top 5 or 6) playoff records. Don't just look at records and stats, try digging deeper.
He's 15th among active coaches in playoff win % but I understand he's had less then ideal working conditions.

Since 1999, Tennessee ranks seventh in the NFL in winning percentage with a 110-82 record. The Titans also are tied for fourth with six playoff seasons since 1999.

John CLayton:

I can't imagine Reid and Co. would want him. Not that he isn't good enough to be a DC but I think they'd want a guy they know would be here at the very least 3 years. IMO Fisher would take the first HC job available and that would be as early as next season.

John CLayton:

I can't imagine Reid and Co. would want him. Not that he isn't good enough to be a DC but I think they'd want a guy they know would be here at the very least 3 years. IMO Fisher would take the first HC job available and that would be as early as next season.
I agree 100%. I think maybe what Clayton "heard" is more likely that Fisher is considering a role as a Senior Consultant or something of that ilk, where he has the flexibility to leave for a HC job next year if he wants and that we're not tied into his being our DC.

DJax "tweaked his knee" and will sit out the Pro Bowl.

Hopefully this is a phantom injury created for the sole purpose of not having to go to the Pro Bowl.

DJax "tweaked his knee" and will sit out the Pro Bowl.Hopefully this is a phantom injury created for the sole purpose of not having to go to the Pro Bowl.
Grade 2 MCL sprain from the Packers game. He tried to practice but didn't feel right.I'm 100% fine with him taking the game off - seems like everyone else is doing the same anyway.I think there's more backup Pro Bowlers than ever now with the Super Bowl participants all bailing.

Green Bay - The Philadelphia Eagles want to interview Green Bay Packers safeties coach Darren Perry for their vacant defensive coordinator job shortly after the Super Bowl, an NFL source told the Journal Sentinel Friday.Perry, 42, has a year remaining on his contract.When the Eagles send their letter of request seeking the interview some time after Feb. 6, coach Mike McCarthy could deny it because Perry is under contract through the 2011 season. He did that in January 2010 when the Chicago Bears sought to interview quarterbacks coach Tom ClementsTeams are under no obligation to let coaches interview unless it’s for the job of head coach. Coaches for the two Super Bowl teams cannot interview until after the game.The Eagles remain one of the Packers’ primary rivals in the NFC. It’s conceivable that McCarthy could deny the request.At the same time, McCarthy has spoken fervently in the past about being pro-career advancement for his coaches. Plus, he has another outstanding secondary coach in Joe Whitt Jr., who coaches cornerback in a co-equal arrangement with Perry.Eagles coach Andy Reid has been looking for a replacement for Sean McDermott, who was fired less than a week after Philadelphia lost to Green Bay in the wild-card playoffs.The Eagles have run a 4-3 scheme throughout Reid’s 12-year tenure.Perry’s background, both as a player and coach, has been in the 3-4 fire-zone scheme. He played in that system for Pittsburgh from 1992-’98 and coached in it for the Steelers from 2003-’06 and for the Packers the past two seasons.He also coached safeties in Cincinnati under coach **** LeBeau in 2002 and defensive backs in Oakland under defensive coordinator Rob Ryan in 2007-’08.The Eagles tried to hire Saints secondary coach Dennis Allen but he decided to take the defensive coordinator’s job in Denver. The Broncos planned to hire Packers defensive line coach Mike Trgovac for that job but decided not to wait two weeks until after the Super Bowl and selected Allen.The even-tempered Perry has done outstanding work in Green Bay, particularly in preparing rookie Morgan Burnett to start and then with veteran Charlie Peprah after Burnett blew out his knee in Week 4.Nick Collins has made the Pro Bowl in each of the last two seasons under Perry’s guidance.

Lawlor on perry:

Perry played at Penn State and then for the Steelers in the NFL. He was coached by defensive gurus like Jerry Sandusky, **** LeBeau, and Dom Capers. As an assistant, Perry has worked with LeBeau, Capers, and Rob Ryan. He also got to learn from two great head coaches, Joe Paterno and Bill Cowher. I like any coaching candidate who has been around great coaches the way Perry has. He's moved around enough to see things done in different ways, but has mostly been in stable environments where he could really soak up how things are done by a good staff. You don't want someone who has been with one team or someone who has been with 10 teams in 15 years. Perry does have most of his experience with 3-4 defenses. Penn State ran a 3-4 for much of the 80s. The Steelers and Packers were pure 3-4 teams. The Raiders did a little bit of both (one reason they struggled on defense in those years). I'd prefer a coach with more of a 4-3 background, but as long as he has the right assistants with him, I don't know that it is a huge deal. Perry did spend his last two years as a player on 4-3 defenses. It isn't completely foreign to him. Also, Perry specializes in DBs. He won't be trying to micro-manage the DL and LBs. One other point to consider is that teams play a nickel defense at least a third of the time (if not more). Most nickel looks are 4-2-5, even on 3-4 teams. I'd have no problem with Darren Perry being the target. I was very impressed by some comments I found from him.On why he left Pittsburgh when Bill Cowher retired:"I was ready for a change. I had been under **** (LaBeau) for a long time, having been in a 3-4 most of my playing and coaching career. I had personal goals I wanted to attain. Being able to get into a 4-3 system, expanding my football background would help me in terms of becoming a coordinator down the line." On coverage/scheme philosophies:"You can do both. You mix it up. You can keep your man element of it, but you can also keep the zone elements as well. In Pittsburgh, we had just as much 4-3 elements as we did a true 3-4 look… So just because you have 3-4 personnel out there on the field doesn't mean you can't play a 4-3 front. During my time there (in Pittsburgh), and then coaching in Cincinnati, we were kind of a hybrid 3-4 where we were basically a 4-3 front but we were trying to have our cake and eat it too and still implement the zone blitz. We just didn't get in as much zero-nose, and that's what people think when they think 3-4 ... You can be kind of a hybrid and give that 4-3 look.""It's still in the early stages. We know what we want to do, but now we have to make sure that we can. And if not, we have to be ready to adjust. The system will be in place, we just might have to be a little more hybrid if it doesn't work out that way. The OTAs, the minicamps, training camp, the preseason games, we'll get a feel for what our guys can and can't do." He does sound like a bright guy that has learned well from the great coaches he's been around. He seems to get the big picture. He has a good track record. In Pittsburgh he helped develop Troy Polamalu and Chris Hope. With Oakland he helped Namdi Ashomugha become an elite corner. He's done very good things with the Packers safeties. Nick Collins is a star. Perry would be an interesting hire.

Per Sal Pal, Perry supposedly has the pedigree and make up to be a head coach down the road. :shrug:

Link to interview on 97.5 from earlier tonight:

http://www.975thefanatic.com/teams/eagles/...ntryID=10198369
Sal Pal is almost as homerific as Spadaro these days. I take what he says with a cup of salt.
People keep saying that, yet he was right about McNabb being traded and right about McDermott. He first reported back in October that McDermott was in danger of losing his job. He was criticized for that.I've seen others refer to Perry as being HC material. A year or two as a DC could groom him to be Andy's replacement. Certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

Snotbubbles said:
Amused to Death said:
Per Sal Pal, Perry supposedly has the pedigree and make up to be a head coach down the road. :shrug:

Link to interview on 97.5 from earlier tonight:

http://www.975thefanatic.com/teams/eagles/...ntryID=10198369
Sal Pal is almost as homerific as Spadaro these days. I take what he says with a cup of salt.
I read your post initially as "horrific" when I first replied. "Homerific" changes things a bit. I don't get that impression from Sal. I generally get the opposite from him; that he's very critical of the organization. I know Missanelli is critical, maybe I just don't hear the homerism in Paolantonio. Spadaro is unlistenable, imo. He's like listening to an Eagles commercial every time he talks but that's his job.I was thinking about how successful some of the young coaches have been....Payton, Harbaugh, Tomlin, Caldwell, Ryan etc. So I looked at the last 3 season's worth of Conference Championship coaches. The newer coaches have been getting it done.

Last 3 years Conference Championship Games, 10 of 12 teams had a head coach with 5 years experience or less, 9

have 4 years or less.

1 year exp: 3

2 years exp: 3

3 years exp: 0

4 years exp: 3

5 years exp: 1

over 5: 2

2010 SB winner - 4th (Pitt) or 5th year (GB)

2009 SB winner - 4th year

2008 SB winner - 2nd year

I think there's more backup Pro Bowlers than ever now with the Super Bowl participants all bailing.
The Pro Bowl is nothing more than a ruse to get as many players as possible to be able to tout that they were invited to the Pro Bowl.
I wonder how many people actually watch the Pro Bowl? Honest question actually. No one I know does but that doesn't mean it isn't popular else where. I see a lot players ditching so I would imagine the glamor is just being invited, not actually playing.

As speculated, David Akers had a lot more on his mind then the Green Bay Packers in the playoffs. As a parent who has had to spend too much time at CHoP, I can understand how Akers was not completely focused.

(T)he Friday before the Eagles faced Green Bay in the playoffs three weeks ago, Akers was at Children's with his 6-year-old daughter, Halley, snaking through a course of tests that led them, unexpectedly, to the oncology floor. The doctors told Akers that a cyst in his daughter's left ovary had to be removed. They did not say the word, but Akers knew the possibility: cancer.

"It was just kind of a smack of reality," Akers said.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles...l#ixzz1CXG9NlNt

Yep, this Akers story is heartbreaking. And it's also a reminder that as much as we want these guys to be automatons, they're human beings. I can tell you that if one of my sons was dealing with cancer, I damn sure wouldn't be on top of my game professionally. I would give it my all, because that's what I'm being paid for, but there's no way I could be at my very best.

hahahahahahahahahaahahhahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaahah

sorry.

Flashbacks of Dan Klecko @ FB...Greg Lewis returning punts.

Users who are viewing this thread