What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2012 SF Giants Thread (1 Viewer)

Brandon Crawford will probably never be much of a hitter but he's no worse offensively than the guys who've played SS recently. He puts the ball in play and has a little pop in his bat. He has four errors on defense already but I think that's a small sample size variation. He covers a lot of ground and looks pretty fundamentally sound. If Crawford can stay above the Mendoza line, he'll have some real-life value.
Sounds like Johnnie LeMaster.
LeMaster's .128/.180/.160 line for three different 100-loss ballclubs in 1985 is one of the more dubious seasons in Major League history.
Boo!

You think Sanchez could have commanded a higher price on the trade market? There is little room for a guy who walks the team picture, when you try and play small ball.I think that is a very nice deal for SF.
I didn't have a lot of illusions about J. Sanchez' trade value. He's a maddening guy to watch work. This organization knows pitching and if they're ready to cut bait, I'll trust them on that one.Melky isn't that good. His three years preceding acquistion (OPS+ = 93, 83, 121) are very similar to the three years Rowand had before Sabean signed him (OPS+ = 93, 86, 124). Rowand immediately settled back into his normal level in SF. I predict a similar fate for Melky.
Happy to be wrong so far on this one.

Aubrey Huff on the DL due to anxiety disorder

Huff left the team Monday morning prior to a doubleheader in New York, simply leaving a text message for Bochy that he needed to return to his home in the Tampa Bay area. The team was in the dark for several days; Huff’s teammates still have not received an official explanation for his absence.The timing was especially curious, given Huff’s rough game in Saturday’s loss at Citi Field that included an emergency appearance at second base in which he completely failed to cover the base on a ground ball to shortstop.Bochy declined to speculate on whether the source of Huff’s anxiety was baseball-related, personal or both. “No,” Bochy said. “I don’t know if he knows.”Huff is coming off one of the worst years of his career in which he went from World Series hero to the target of boos from fans, many of whom would rather see him benched in favor of younger players Brandon Belt or Brett Pill.Huff’s personal life is going through upheaval as well. According to court records from Hillsborough County, Fla., his wife, Baubi, filed for divorce on Jan. 31. The couple has been married since 1997 and has two young sons. The latest case management conference between the parties was held April 11.Huff’s tough upbringing has been well chronicled. He was 6 years old when his father, Aubrey II, was killed as an innocent bystander in a fatal shooting. Huff was raised by his mother, Fonda, a strong woman who bought him a batting cage on a supermarket deli worker’s salary while taking night classes to earn a degree in educational counseling.Bochy said he finally spoke with Huff on Wednesday. He declined to speculate on what caused Huff’s episode.

I still don't get the Bochy love. He consistently makes boneheaded moves that defy logic.

Take tonights game for example. He gets six great innings from Zito. He exits the sixth with a two run lead and a 100 pitch count. Looking ahead to the seventh, there's three straight right handed batters. Time for Hensley to take the 7th, Romo the 8th and Casilla the 9th, right? WRONG. Bochy for some reason trots Zito out there where he predictiably gives up a home run on pitch 106.

Just makes no sense. With the way their bullpen is setup, this seemed like the simplest call to make in baseball history.

If the Panda is out for an extended period of time, this offense will revert back to 2011 levels of futility

Brandon Crawford will probably never be much of a hitter but he's no worse offensively than the guys who've played SS recently. He puts the ball in play and has a little pop in his bat. He has four errors on defense already but I think that's a small sample size variation. He covers a lot of ground and looks pretty fundamentally sound. If Crawford can stay above the Mendoza line, he'll have some real-life value.
Sounds like Johnnie LeMaster.
I hold you responsible for ruining Crawford by the power of suggestion

This week's Friday timewaster: Try to make a Major League infield out of these eight pieces.

Belt

Huff

Pill

Theriot

Burriss

Crawford

Arias

Gillaspie

There are 70 possible permutations. All of them suck.

This week's Friday timewaster: Try to make a Major League infield out of these eight pieces.BeltHuffPillTheriotBurrissCrawfordAriasGillaspieThere are 70 possible permutations. All of them suck.
Belt - 1BHuff - psych couchPill - 2BTheriot - waiversBurriss - benchCrawford - SSArias - AAAGillaspie - 3B

So safe to drop Lincecum? I splurged for him for the first time ever in an auction league and he's basically harpooned my entire season.

So safe to drop Lincecum? I splurged for him for the first time ever in an auction league and he's basically harpooned my entire season.
At least strikeouts count for something in your league :shrug:The real-life Giants are 10 games under .500 when Lincecum pitches (2-12) and 18 games over in all the rest (35-17).

At least strikeouts count for something in your league :shrug:The real-life Giants are 10 games under .500 when Lincecum pitches (2-12) and 18 games over in all the rest (35-17).
What is going on with him? Delivery? Mechanics? Bad luck? Injury? Can't be hitters learning to hit him, guy has as nasty stuff as the game has to offer. I only saw him once this year and I think it was in one of his wins, he didn't look like Timmy from the past but he looked fine.

What is going on with him? Delivery? Mechanics? Bad luck? Injury? Can't be hitters learning to hit him, guy has as nasty stuff as the game has to offer. I only saw him once this year and I think it was in one of his wins, he didn't look like Timmy from the past but he looked fine.
It's complicated. He still has periods where he's unhittable--his 9.7 SO/9 rate is right around his career average. His velocity is down a bit but not a lot. His delivery has always been complicated so maybe there's something mechanical there, but it's probably more a matter of inconsistency.The big inning has been his biggest problem all year. One inning he's mowing them down and then he gives up three in the next one. I suspect he's not as effective out of the stretch and there may also be a mental aspect that nobody is talking about.

It's complicated. He still has periods where he's unhittable--his 9.7 SO/9 rate is right around his career average. His velocity is down a bit but not a lot. His delivery has always been complicated so maybe there's something mechanical there, but it's probably more a matter of inconsistency.The big inning has been his biggest problem all year. One inning he's mowing them down and then he gives up three in the next one. I suspect he's not as effective out of the stretch and there may also be a mental aspect that nobody is talking about.
Verlander used to be a victim of the big inning and he ended up getting through it. I think it was a mix of youth and a mental block, panic. Lincecum really has never had extended periods where he just wasn't great, something just about every young pitcher goes through. By the numbers he seems to be struggling with walks (his k/BB rate is down markedly) so maybe he's fighting it when he gets a guy on in the stretch. I wonder how many of those walks are out of the stretch, that could be an indication. If velocity is normal or even a little below normal, I think you can remove the injury delivery aspect. Probably just something most young guys go through, just happening to him six years in. At 28 he still has many prime years left, probably just needs to overcome his mental bloc and he'll be back to normal.

WooHoo! :clap: :pickle: :headbang:

Lincecum turns it around today. 7 strong innings!

Tied for 1st Place :pickle:

And the best part? Swept the Dodgers with 3, count em 3, shutouts!! :clap:

'5Rings said:
'badmojo1006 said:
WooHoo! :clap: :pickle: :headbang: Lincecum turns it around today. 7 strong innings! Tied for 1st Place :pickle: And the best part? Swept the Dodgers with 3, count em 3, shutouts!! :clap:
:thumbup: :banned: :excited:
Another Shutout!?! 36 innings in a row the Giants have not allowed a run.And sole possession of 1st Place :thumbup:

It was a huge extra inning win tonight. It'll take some pressure off and make tomorrow's quick turnaround game in the mid-day heat a lot more bearable

Where does Melky for Sanchez rank in SF's all-time best trades?And does it take any sting out of the Nathan/Liriano for AJ trade?
It'll look better if Cabrera stays beyond this year.Some good ones from the past:Jeffrey Leonard and Dave Bergman for Mike IvieJason Schmidt and John Vander Wal for Armando Rios and Ryan Vogelsong (although Schmidt was going to be a free agent)Kirk Reuter and Tim Scott for Mark Leiter

The Giants got one game out of their Cabrera-Pence-Sandoval lineup. It was a wonderful eight innings. Too bad I was on an airplane and missed the entire thing.

Users who are viewing this thread