What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****Official 2014 Chicago Bears Thread **** (1 Viewer)

Being a Vikings fan that lives in Chicago, listening to the Score this week has been nothing but pure joy.

We'll see if things are really as bad as the radio guys are making them out to be. If they cant hang with the Vikings this week then the Bears really are toast.

Either way still a bad move by Bears brass giving Cutler that huge contract and brining back Mel Tucker.

Nothing? No comments yet?

When the Bears lose, posters are quick to bash. When they win..... crickets.
That was an amazing victory - I am so excited that we just beat the Vikings! The Bears are going to go 10-6 and our obviously on their way to winning the Superbowl. Cutler will be the league MVP.

Is that better?

I'm guessing Chip Kelly will join Trestman in the unemployment line after being blown out by the Packers today.

Scored only 21 points with almost 500 yds offense against the Vikings. 6 penalties. Cutty with 2 more ints. Some terrible calls again by the coaching staff.

They won and didn't get embarrassed. Celebrate?

Was that once or twice they got stuffed at the 1? Two more dumb picks? Casually running the first half out insteading of going for the throat?

We should have won by 25. Yeah, it's a win and I'm glad, but it's win out and hope for other teams to cave.

I'm guessing Chip Kelly will join Trestman in the unemployment line after being blown out by the Packers today.
That is a pretty stupid comment (I am pretty sure you are can't be that dumb). Kelly led the Eagles to the playoffs and they are 7-3 and are primed to win their division again. They didn't get embarrassed by losing 51-23 and have their season on the line coming off a bye and get smoked 55-14.

X - The Bears drove me crazy again with their clock management before halftime. I know that ended in a Cutler interception but they ran the ball twice and didn't use their timeouts. They squandered another scoring opportunity.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a pretty stupid comment (I am pretty sure you are can't be that dumb). Kelly led the Eagles to the playoffs and they are 7-3 and are primed to win their division again. They didn't get embarrassed by losing 51-23 and have their season on the line coming off a bye and get smoked 55-14. X - The Bears drove me crazy again with their clock management before halftime. I know that ended in a Cutler interception but they ran the ball twice and didn't use their timeouts. They squandered another scoring opportunity.
Don't forget deciding against kicking a short range FG and Jay getting a personal foul that pushed Gould further back on his missed fg

flapgreen said:
yoman said:
KCitons said:
That is a pretty stupid comment (I am pretty sure you are can't be that dumb). Kelly led the Eagles to the playoffs and they are 7-3 and are primed to win their division again. They didn't get embarrassed by losing 51-23 and have their season on the line coming off a bye and get smoked 55-14. X - The Bears drove me crazy again with their clock management before halftime. I know that ended in a Cutler interception but they ran the ball twice and didn't use their timeouts. They squandered another scoring opportunity.
Don't forget deciding against kicking a short range FG and Jay getting a personal foul that pushed Gould further back on his missed fg
The announcers seemed to think it was something he said but I think he got it for spiking the ball because I saw the flag come out then. I would have kicked a field goal as well to go up by 7 but Trestman wanted to try to put the game away. I question the play calling too but can understand this.. Bushrod whiffed on his block on the QB sneak which blew up the goal line but I don't think that was the best call to make at that time.

The D played pretty well today. Even though they didn't put up that many points they won the battle of time of possession which kept the D fresh. The 3 and outs have been discussed in this thread ad nauseam and put a weak D even further behind the eight ball. Unfortunately the only thing I see wins like today doing is decreasing their draft position and making it more likely that this regime will come back intact next season. If they don't at least fire Tucker I am going to go into next season with no confidence that they can make the playoffs.

I didn't get to watch the game but just saw the "highlights" and scanned the play-by-play. They hold an Adrian Peterson-less team led by rookie QB Teddie Bridgewater to 243 net yards while posting 468 net yards. Yet they still have to pick off a pass in the endzone in the waning moments to secure the win. Lol, at least it's a W. Always glad for a win, but this is nothing more than two scrubs squaring off and someone had to win.

ok, kidding there... But, really enjoyed seeing that. Someone asked the question last week, rather see wins, or lose out for the pick, and I say wins 100%. I enjoy watching Chicago Bear football. I enjoy having something to cheer for on Sunday. I don't care how far out of it we are, my week just starts out a little better after a bears win.

This is still a mediocre team, that can't fully bring it together, but i'll take some more wins like that.

KCitons said:

Because I'm watching football at the bar the rest of the day and don't come back to fbg until I get to work Monday morning???

flapgreen said:
yoman said:
KCitons said:
The announcers seemed to think it was something he said but I think he got it for spiking the ball because I saw the flag come out then. I would have kicked a field goal as well to go up by 7 but Trestman wanted to try to put the game away. I question the play calling too but can understand this.. Bushrod whiffed on his block on the QB sneak which blew up the goal line but I don't think that was the best call to make at that time.

The D played pretty well today. Even though they didn't put up that many points they won the battle of time of possession which kept the D fresh. The 3 and outs have been discussed in this thread ad nauseam and put a weak D even further behind the eight ball. Unfortunately the only thing I see wins like today doing is decreasing their draft position and making it more likely that this regime will come back intact next season. If they don't at least fire Tucker I am going to go into next season with no confidence that they can make the playoffs.
I would much rather see the Bears winning games than tanking to get a better draft pick. Winning and losing has momentum. One of the positive things out of this win was the reemergence of Jeffrey. He played like the player he was last year. I'd much prefer the team to start winning even if they end up 8-8 and don't make the playoffs. They would get a worse draft pick but the young players would have to play well for that to happen. The offense would have to start looking like they did last year for that to happen. Those are positive things. The more positive things we see the better.

I believe the only way Trestman gets fired after this season is if they completely melt down the rest of the year. The Bears do not like to eat contracts. Trestman has two more years on his contract. I believe that if things don't improve next year they might eat a year of the contract, and fire Trestman, but they are not going to eat two years of the contract. Tucker and most of the defensive staff will be fired, as they should be. The special teams coach will be fired. They will be the sacrificial lambs for this season. If Trestman goes after the 2015 season I think the organization will give Emery another chance to hire a coach.

Cutler isn't going anywhere for at least two more years. They have too much guaranteed money tied up in Cutler's contract to cut him now. They won't be able to get anywhere near his value, so the Bears are stuck with him. And if they did get rid of him you are suddenly looking at what Houston, the Jets, Buffalo, St Louis, Cleveland, and Tennessee have. Or you are trying to develop a young guy like Jacksonville, Minnesota, and Oakland are doing. Cutler is not a top ten QB, and I think he is overpaid, but finding a QB is hard. Tennessee has been looking for one since McNair retired. They picked Vince Young third overall in 2006. Gave up on him. Then the drafted Jake Locker eight overall in 2011. They have almost given up on him. Now they are trying Mettenberger who they drafted in the sixth round this year. That is two top ten picks invested in a six year period and they still don't have their guy. Miami has been looking for one since Marino retired. They are hoping they have found a good one in Tannehill. If you give up on Cutler you need a veteran who can keep the seat warm while you develop a young guy. I wouldn't mind seeing the Bears use a second or third round pick on a QB in the next draft. Put Cutler on notice, and let's see if Trestman can develop a young guy with the skills enough to be a starter.

During the game, the broadcasters showed a crazy stat. Apparently this season Jay Cutler has the highest completion percentage of his career. WHAT?! Was the broadcast wrong or do interceptions count as completions?

That being said, Cutler was saved by amazing receptions from Marshall and Jeffrey all game. He badly underthrew two balls that should have been 50+ yard plays and instead were a pick and an incompletion. Clock management was atrocious as were team penalties.

Speaking of: Seeing Cutler actually get fired up at the refs on the first drive and get that unsportsmanlike conduct penalty made me feel good. It's about time he showed an emotion other than "pouty."

The Tick said:
KCitons said:

Because I'm watching football at the bar the rest of the day and don't come back to fbg until I get to work Monday morning???
You are excused.

As for the rest of you. <_<

Happy to get the win but...

First-half offense: For the sixth game in a row, the Bears did not score in the first quarter. For the third time in five games, they were shut out at halftime. The offense was 2 for 9 on third down, had several dropped passes and Matt Forte had 16 yards on five carries. The O-line allowed three sacks in the first half.

Still not going anywhere.

What no comments yet? The Bears win 2 in a row and you can't indulge us with one of your truly insightful observations. :rolleyes:crickets. What part of that 70 yard offensive explosion in the first half was your favorite?

I am not hear to bash the Bears today because it is obvious that they are going to win the Superbowl. After all we did just convincingly take down the mighty Vikings and Bucs who wouldn't even make the playoffs if you combined their win totals.

Cutler = MVP (Obviously)

Trestman = Coach of the Year

Mel Tucker = D Coordinator of the year - I know this isn't an award but they should start one and call it the Mel Tucker award.

What is funny is that I thought the D actually did a good job the last 2 weeks but that offensive genius that we have for a head coach seems to have turned into Terry Shea.

The DL is much better without Houston. Briggs has been terrible. Paea has proven me wrong. He's been a force. Allen is hitting his stride. Mel hasn't become a good coach and still needs to go. If Trestman can't turn the offense around, he needs to go too.

I agree with everything Flap posted above. I know... I'm kinda weirded out by it too.

What no comments yet? The Bears win 2 in a row and you can't indulge us with one of your truly insightful observations. :rolleyes:crickets. What part of that 70 yard offensive explosion in the first half was your favorite?

I am not hear to bash the Bears today because it is obvious that they are going to win the Superbowl. After all we did just convincingly take down the mighty Vikings and Bucs who wouldn't even make the playoffs if you combined their win totals.

Cutler = MVP (Obviously)

Mel Tucker = D Coordinator of the year - I know this isn't an award but they should start one and call it the Mel Tucker award.

What is funny is that I thought the D actually did a good job the last 2 weeks but that offensive genius that we have for a head coach seems to have turned into Terry Shea.
Here me out.

The last 4 games (5 weeks) the Bears lost to the Patriots and the Packers (good chance that's who will be playing in the Super Bowl in February) . During that time, this board had 4+ pages of comments.

Then they win against the Vikings and the Bucs, teams they should beat. And nobody has anything to say.

Must take less energy to #####. :shrug:

Cutler = MVP (Obviously)

Here me out.

The last 4 games (5 weeks) the Bears lost to the Patriots and the Packers (good chance that's who will be playing in the Super Bowl in February) . During that time, this board had 4+ pages of comments.

Then they win against the Vikings and the Bucs, teams they should beat. And nobody has anything to say.

You are absolutely right. There also should have been 4+ pages pointing out how they won against teams they should have beaten handily. The bashing they took against the Pats and Pack was deserved IMHO, but fair is fair, we should have bashed them as well for their performance against two weaker teams.

God help me for being excited for this game tomorrow. How haven't I learned my lesson at this point?

God help me for being excited for this game tomorrow. How haven't I learned my lesson at this point?
It's been ages since we played on Thanksgiving, hard not to be excited. Regardless of who we've lost to, who we've beaten, and how we've played...

There's a tiny part of me that thinks "If they win tomorrow... you're saying there's a chance!"

Of course there's the other part of my brain (the rational part) which is replying "WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?!"

There's a tiny part of me that thinks "If they win tomorrow... you're saying there's a chance!"

Of course there's the other part of my brain (the rational part) which is replying "WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?!"
What you should say is..."if they win tomorrow, in Vegas they'll be favored in the rest of their games"

Cutler = MVP (Obviously)

Here me out.

What is there to say about the wins vs. the Vikings and Bucs? They were home games against some of the worst teams in the NFL. Yet in both games the Bears looked like trash, fell into a double digit hole early, and somehow managed to get the win. Yes, they are W's. But if you can watch either of those games and honestly find something positive I'd be shocked.

The 3 whippings the Packers and Patriots administered clearly told us this team is extremely flawed. A couple of completely ugly home wins against cellar dwellers doesn't refute that, it actually reinforces it IMO.

I'd love for someone to bookmark this and bump it after the Bears win the Superbowl, but this team's 2014 season has been done for weeks. And I'm thininkg that will extend to each year that Cutler is taking the snaps.

Users who are viewing this thread