What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2017 NCAA Hoops Tourney thread: Congrats UNC, all the refs from NCCG should be banned for life*** (3 Viewers)

Then you're basing this on two missed three throws vs Oregon, since the other ones either weren't late or weren't competitive. But if manipulating data to falsely crap on some college kid makes you happy then you do you, GB.

And I'm delighted to "waste" my time on UNC's exploits over the last two seasons. I'll break down every player on the roster for both seasons this week if you want. It's basically what I'm gonna be doing instead of working anyway, in between watching the extended highlights and One Shining Moment over and over.
:lmao:   At least he made one free throw when they were up 70-65 with seven seconds left.  I guess it's hard to choke away a game with so little time left.

Are you an UNC alum or one of those fake college team fans?

I feel like the Dos Equis guy right now:

"I don't normally agree with TobiasFunke, but when I do, it is in reference to UNC basketball."

:lmao:   At least he made one free throw when they were up 70-65 with seven seconds left.  I guess it's hard to choke away a game with so little time left.

Are you an UNC alum or one of those fake college team fans?
Alum + family ties, but I don't judge.  Anyone who wants to root for the Heels (or anyone else) is welcome aboard. 

IDK how anyone can rip Joel Berry, he was by far the most important player to the National Champions this year. He played hurt, played well, and was the floor general through and through.

This team doesn't make it out of the first week with Britt in there instead of Berry. My biggest fear every game was Berry getting into foul trouble. 

Going into halftime last night and hardly able to see straight, I did one thing; checked Joel Berry's personal fouls to confirm I didn't miss any - he had 1.

IDK how anyone can rip Joel Berry, he was by far the most important player to the National Champions this year. He played hurt, played well, and was the floor general through and through.

This team doesn't make it out of the first week with Britt in there instead of Berry. My biggest fear every game was Berry getting into foul trouble. 

Going into halftime last night and hardly able to see straight, I did one thing; checked Joel Berry's personal fouls to confirm I didn't miss any - he had 1.
I thought Berry was awful against Oregon but he did play a little better against Gonzaga.   I was very surprised to see he was MVP.  I guess I thought Jackson would get it as he was the best player on the court in semis but he did struggle against Gonzaga.   Berry seemd like an awful shooter from the outside in the Final Four but I assume his ankle did not help.

If Berry clanked both free throws against Oregon, and UNC loses because Meeks gets called for the over the back, you would be ripping the living #### out of him.  Let's also not forget the refs missed a huge call when Meeks had his hand out of bounds up 66-65 that gave the ball back to UNC. 

I don't have a problem with Berry.  I was simply stating a fact that he choked away a lot of points at the free throw line. 

If Berry clanked both free throws against Oregon, and UNC loses because Meeks gets called for the over the back, you would be ripping the living #### out of him.  Let's also not forget the refs missed a huge call when Meeks had his hand out of bounds up 66-65 that gave the ball back to UNC. 

I don't have a problem with Berry.  I was simply stating a fact that he choked away a lot of points at the free throw line. 
Nate Britt is an adequate substitute for about 3 minutes at a time. This team doesn't sniff the Sweet 16 without Berry. 

I was drunk and haven't watched a replay, but didn't Pinson not touch the ball on the 3 point shot that should've been UNC possession, and instead the Zags hit a 3 to take the lead of like 62-60? That was a huge whiff IIRC.

Then you're basing this on two missed three throws vs Oregon, since the other ones either weren't late or weren't competitive. But if manipulating data to falsely crap on some college kid makes you happy then you do you, GB.

And I'm delighted to "waste" my time on UNC's exploits over the last two seasons. I'll break down every player on the roster for both seasons this week if you want. It's basically what I'm gonna be doing instead of working anyway, in between watching the extended highlights and One Shining Moment over and over.
Remember that time one of the Tar Heels made a play that almost cost UNC a national title, but didn't?  I'm sure he's really beat up over that today, probably blocking out thoughts of how he's going to store those net strands he cut down last night so they stay with him and his family forever.  And I'll bet all the UNC fans are super upset with him, can barely hear the sounds of "One Shining Moment" in their heads over their anger.

I thought Berry was awful against Oregon but he did play a little better against Gonzaga.   I was very surprised to see he was MVP.  I guess I thought Jackson would get it as he was the best player on the court in semis but he did struggle against Gonzaga.   Berry seemd like an awful shooter from the outside in the Final Four but I assume his ankle did not help.
Yeah he was around 40% from three before the tournament started, and could shoot it off the dribble which is obviously a different animal. 

But I agree, Meeks got robbed for Final Foir MVP, considering the semifinal performance, the post D and the huge blocked shot to seal the title. And it actually matters a ton, because UNC has a secondary thing they do where they "honor" jerseys they don't retire, and Final Four MOP = automatic honored jersey status.

What an experience!  Smallest school ever to play in the championship game.  It was nuts, a huge all weekend party and reunion.  Huge parts of the different teams over the years were all in the house.  Calvary playing beer pong.  Morrison being cool as hell and taking pictures with all the kids.  My favorite 92 boys all back. NC fans very cool but didn't know what to make of this little school 1/10 their size.  

Had center court seats 20 rows up.  Steven Tyler and Rb David Johnson were a few rows in front of us.  The Great Karnowski left 10 in the paint in the first half and had us all worried.  I thought it was our night when Perkins hits from outside.  We should have been up by 15 at half.  Really wanted a few beers st half, damn NCAA.

second half obviously just ugly.  NC fans around us started apologizing for the calls, but it seemed to me to even out.  Just lots of #### calls which didn't allow any flow.  Loved cheering Theo to shot each time.  Huckleberry Hound made the best coaching decision of the game putting 6-8 Jackson on 6-3 NWG.  He couldn't get a clean look unless Berry or the other midget were on him.  Damn free throws.  Still, bring up 1 with a minute left was incredible and at the end NC made the plays.  

Zag nation super proud of our team.  Really hope Collins comes back, he was the best player on the court when he wasn't being called for breathing heavy.

Been interesting to read the uproar over the refs, and what seems like a lot of folks saying GU got hosed.  I don't buy it, NC made the plays at the end.  Simple as that.  

If Collins and NWG come back we should be strong contenders again....and maybe the team might get a little respect.  

Enjoyed reading this thread hung over as hell on the plane ride back.  Cheers fellas.

What an experience!  Smallest school ever to play in the championship game.  It was nuts, a huge all weekend party and reunion.  Huge parts of the different teams over the years were all in the house.  Calvary playing beer pong.  Morrison being cool as hell and taking pictures with all the kids.  My favorite 92 boys all back. NC fans very cool but didn't know what to make of this little school 1/10 their size.  

Had center court seats 20 rows up.  Steven Tyler and Rb David Johnson were a few rows in front of us.  The Great Karnowski left 10 in the paint in the first half and had us all worried.  I thought it was our night when Perkins hits from outside.  We should have been up by 15 at half.  Really wanted a few beers st half, damn NCAA.

second half obviously just ugly.  NC fans around us started apologizing for the calls, but it seemed to me to even out.  Just lots of #### calls which didn't allow any flow.  Loved cheering Theo to shot each time.  Huckleberry Hound made the best coaching decision of the game putting 6-8 Jackson on 6-3 NWG.  He couldn't get a clean look unless Berry or the other midget were on him.  Damn free throws.  Still, bring up 1 with a minute left was incredible and at the end NC made the plays.  

Zag nation super proud of our team.  Really hope Collins comes back, he was the best player on the court when he wasn't being called for breathing heavy.

Been interesting to read the uproar over the refs, and what seems like a lot of folks saying GU got hosed.  I don't buy it, NC made the plays at the end.  Simple as that.  

If Collins and NWG come back we should be strong contenders again....and maybe the team might get a little respect.  

Enjoyed reading this thread hung over as hell on the plane ride back.  Cheers fellas.
Did you DVR the game?

I'd be interested in your take after watching it on TV vs live in house.

Anyone have any kids that play AAU basketball?  The more I think about this game, it was officiated exactly like an AAU game.  There was no consistency or flow, the refs anticipated contact on a majority of the calls, but allowed way too much contact other times.

Anyone have any kids that play AAU basketball?  The more I think about this game, it was officiated exactly like an AAU game.  There was no consistency or flow, the refs anticipated contact on a majority of the calls, but allowed way too much contact other times.
My kids play, and I also used to coach AAU.  And in HS, 5-8 graders, and CYA church leagues,

Nah, not the same.  AAU calls nothing.  The refs are on a time schedule to get all the games in.  Games start at 8 am and run until 8 pm.   If they run 10 minutes over per game from calling fouls, well that's like 2 hours behind by the end of the day.  They let pretty much everything go underneath.  More aggressive team usually wins.  I though it was more like a mid-tier HS game, where nobody can figure out exactly how they are calling it.

I think refs call it pretty well on the outside.  They call hand checking, travelling, reach ins, and other basic stuff that is easy to see.  

But inside and with big men they are clueless, which in this game hurt Karnowski, Collins, and Meeks.  On offense they need to be allowed to bang for position and rebounds.  Collins had phantom fouls called on him.  He got called for over the back once.  There is actually no such call, and the ref clearly used a sign that showed over the back.  Look it up,  There is no such rule.  Fans and parents scream it out all the time.  Pushing in the back is a foul.  Jumping over someone to get the ball is not.  Karnowski got an early moving pick call that was a joke.  It's 28 feet from the basket.  Let it go.  And the last foul on Meeks if anything should have been on Karnowski.  Meeks made a great play.  He went over the pick, beat Karnowski to the low post spot, they banged, and Meeks got a foul.  It was a terrible call.  Not only was it called on the wrong person, it took away from a solid D play by Meeks.

Not just in this game, but throughout the tourney, big guys are also protecting the rim.  Even if they go straight up, a defender runs into them and their arms come down.  Put your hands up, get punched in the stomach, and see what happens to your hands.  They come down.  Guards on both sides were creating the contact, but the bigs get fouls all the time for playing defense correctly.  I think this is more a function of more 3 pointers spreading the court even more, then the offense penetrates and the bigs step in a there's going to be contact.  I think the refs need to let more of that contact go.

& lost :shrug:

If these two teams are both playing their A game, UNC wins 7/10 easy IMO.
I'm not so sure.  UNC had no answer for Collins...the refs took him out.

I gotta think the same for Karnowski if he doesn't have so many fouls looming as well.

I'd say evenly matched but would give the slight edge to the Zags...6 out of 10.

I'm not so sure.  UNC had no answer for Collins...the refs took him out.

I gotta think the same for Karnowski if he doesn't have so many fouls looming as well.

I'd say evenly matched but would give the slight edge to the Zags...6 out of 10.
Honestly, I don't care much to argue this one, you can have your 6/10. They played once, it was the outcome I had hoped for, and I'm happy about it. 

& lost :shrug:

If these two teams are both playing their A game, UNC wins 7/10 easy IMO.
One isn't enough. I'll give it a double  :lmao: :lmao:

Look, I'm not going to be like some of the others saying the refs cost Gonz the game. At the same time several of the calls on Collins were an absolute complete joke. The refs made calls BOTH ways that were unnecessary that just stagnated this game. If this is a game where they let both teams play I don't know how you clearly say one team wins more than 50% of the time.

UNC won and deserved to win but the Zags were every bit up to the task and an equal to UNC.

In case I didn't make it clear before, I don't care if the Zags win 999 out of 1,000 hypothetical never to-be-played games. I'm a Heels fan, they're the National Champions. Zags had a great team and season, but they lost the game, the one that counts, not some imaginary game (or series of games) being discussed on a message board. 

So again, I'll concede the Zags win 99.9% of these hypothetical games if that makes someone happier.

I will say this:

If you gave me the UNC stats before the game was played (horrific FT shooting, out-rebounded, 4/27 from 3, Meeks with 22 minutes played, and a few others I can pick through), I would've bet the farm on the Zags - it was an ugly game all-around, but that means nothing at this point. At the end of the day, I'll look back at their 2017 season for exactly what it was - redemption from 2016 with a solid group of veterans that earned the National Championship. The road this team had to get there was almost chalk and by far the most challenging region IMO.

Great season and great group of players :thumbup:

Was the refereeing even controversial in that game? Of all the games that I thought were poorly reffed, that one doesn't even register.
Yeah, Kentucky fans in Memphis were going nuts, and after the game Cal said "You know, it’s amazing that we were in that game where they practically fouled out my whole team."  I guess it's possible he meant UNC but he seemed to pretty clearly mean the officials. Of course in that game the fouls and FT attempts were pretty much even, just like in the national championship, but whatever. 

I was watching a replay of the final few minutes of UNC-Kentucky last week with my pants around my ankles and a box of tissues nearby.  At one point UNC was up one, Berry missed a three off the front rim, and Jackson flew in unchecked for a putback. The refs waved it off and instead called a foul underneath, putting Luke Maye and his 58% FT shooting at the line for a 1 and 1. huge break at the time for Kentucky (though Maye made both), but Cal went bananas anyway. His persecution complex is impressive.

This line of thinking gets nobody anywhere.

For USC, Thornwell had his worst game of the tournament against Gonzaga. (29, 24, 24, 26 ... 15)

If he had his typical tournament game, would they have beaten Gonzaga? :shrug:

Woulda, coulda, shoulda
I was responding to the ridiculous notion that UNC wins the majority of matchups based on the game we saw, which was about as equal a matchup as could ever be, .  

I'm sure that great defenses on both sides was a primary reason both teams looked like crap, which is probably also the primary reason Thornwell had his worst game against Gonzaga.   

I was responding to the ridiculous notion that UNC wins the majority of matchups based on the game we saw, which was about as equal a matchup as could ever be, .  

I'm sure that great defenses on both sides was a primary reason both teams looked like crap, which is probably also the primary reason Thornwell had his worst game against Gonzaga.   
Good points.  Wasn't necessarily aimed at you, just the discussion in general.

Users who are viewing this thread