What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2018 Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles* - Tough way to go out. Magic finally gone. (2 Viewers)

You have to think the players are extra amped this week. It's not just another playoff game to keep on going. You get a chance to exact some revenge on a team that embarrassed you a couple months ago. This will be the best game the Eagles play all year on defense this coming week. They may still let up 20 points or so but they are going to show the world that they are way better than the 48-7 drubbing they received back in week 11.

Last edited by a moderator:
In answer to the question Ray Didinger just posed on the Eagles postgame show on @NBCSPhilly...

Since 1990, road teams that had a minus-2 turnover ratio (or worse) in any round of the playoffs had gone 4-83.

Yep...4 and 83! 

Until that Eagles-Bears game today. Wow.

They also defied absurd odds against the Rams after having so many plays on defense and then traveling the next week. I forget the numbers but it’s close to what you just posted. This team just.....I’ve never seen anything like it. It’s made my almost 45 years of fandom worth every bit for last year and this year.

They also defied absurd odds against the Rams after having so many plays on defense and then traveling the next week. I forget the numbers but it’s close to what you just posted. This team just.....I’ve never seen anything like it. It’s made my almost 45 years of fandom worth every bit for last year and this year.
It’s unbelievable really, and I’m glad to be here to watch. 

Peters nit rough here:

Tom Pelissero✔@TomPelissero

#Eagles T Jason Peters said he knew once he saw former teammate Cody Parkey’s first attempt (which didn’t count because of a timeout), he knew Parkey was missing the second. Hasn’t been the same since an injury. “I told him thank you after the game.”

Peters nit rough here:

Tom Pelissero✔@TomPelissero

#Eagles T Jason Peters said he knew once he saw former teammate Cody Parkey’s first attempt (which didn’t count because of a timeout), he knew Parkey was missing the second. Hasn’t been the same since an injury. “I told him thank you after the game.”
That's cold blooded.

Smart QBs learn.  He's amazing.   He might be a system QB but he's damn good in the right system.  Genuine good guy as well.  So happy for him.
I wonder if Ben considers retirement this year. Foles would be a perfect fit in the black and gold. Brown would probably reconsider staying.

I wonder if Ben considers retirement this year. Foles would be a perfect fit in the black and gold. Brown would probably reconsider staying.
A.  Ben isn't retiring.

B.  Steelers aren't spending big money on a FA QB.

C.  I would rather trade for Wentz

That last Eagles drive was clutch though.  Down 5?  need to burn most the clock AND score a TD?

And there’s so many small things too. When he called that T.O. before the 4th down call I was livid. 

When Eliot kicked the ball short and Cohen got the good return I had awful memories of the Saints game when Foles made the playoffs his first time. Sooooo glad they both worked out  

Also is there video of Smallwood 2 point attempt? I swear he was in. 

And there’s so many small things too. When he called that T.O. before the 4th down call I was livid. 

When Eliot kicked the ball short and Cohen got the good return I had awful memories of the Saints game when Foles made the playoffs his first time. Sooooo glad they both worked out  

Also is there video of Smallwood 2 point attempt? I swear he was in. 
I think he was in but it was way too close to overturn

The Patriots usually have one of the lowest touchback rates in the league because they found out that the average starting position is worse (the opposing team starts within the 25) when the returner has to return a shorter kick not in the end zone.  Not only is the expected average starting position worse, but an actual return takes more time off the clock.  So, it's the correct decision to kick it short and the Eagles are also big into analytics - I assume they knew this and it was intentional to kick short.

It's funny because that was the knock on him in 2013 and 2014. That he held the ball too long. Gain some experience in the league and you learn.
Absolutely. That’s been one of my contentions about brining up old years—everyone gets a chance to improve with age (at least until Father Time erodes your physical skills). His release is definitely faster and he reads the field better now. That’s really a good thing because if I’m being fair, he still can float some passes too.

The answer to that question is, as I've stated before, they're 5-0 in the Superdome in the postseason ever since they started in New Orleans.  And that stat will jump to 6-0 after next week.
YogiBear: Hey Boo Boo, did you know that Brees and Peyton have never lost in the super dome together?

Boo Boo: Gee Yogi, what about Big **** Nick and Big Balls Doug though? They’ve never lost a post season game together—especially when they’re underdogs.

Foles passer rating of 105.2 is now the greatest in NFL history. Unreal. And also unreal what he did at Soldier Field against the best D in the league. And we know that first interception shouldn’t be on him.

I think a lot of the credit has to go to Foles.  He gets the ball out so quickly.  
I think he and Wentz have an almost identical average time to throw, at least in the 2018 regular season (~2.67).

Nick's yesterday was the quickest of all the QB in the wild card round (2.38) however.

Agree.  Both his picks were awful decisions that almost cost us the game.  The one in the red zone was worse though.  We get some points there and it doesn't come down to the kick at the end

Our defense is playing out of it's mind right now
This.  Foles had one awesome clutch drive when we needed it. But overall, he didn't playa  great game. This one was on the defense. 

Hopefully, this version of the secondary will be better than the one that faced Brees and the Saints earlier this season.  They have to get pressure on him or he'll pick us apart again.

This.  Foles had one awesome clutch drive when we needed it. But overall, he didn't playa  great game. This one was on the defense. 

Hopefully, this version of the secondary will be better than the one that faced Brees and the Saints earlier this season.  They have to get pressure on him or he'll pick us apart again.
They are definitely playing better.  And we have foles playing instead of Wentz.  Saints are not playing at as high a level

It's going to be a totally different game.  Not saying we will win but I would be shocked if they blew us out again.  

I think the blowout loss may motivate us more than usual

It was such a weird feeling at the end of the game. I felt calm. I was ok that we were going to lose because it was a hard fought game and just getting back to the playoffs after the year we had was amazing. Then when we won, I wasn't going super crazy. I was just happy. Like "Cool, we get to keep playing." I'm certain that's the Super Bowl effect. All this is gravy.

It was such a weird feeling at the end of the game. I felt calm. I was ok that we were going to lose because it was a hard fought game and just getting back to the playoffs after the year we had was amazing. Then when we won, I wasn't going super crazy. I was just happy. Like "Cool, we get to keep playing." I'm certain that's the Super Bowl effect. All this is gravy.
I was like this all season.  I was one of those fans who wasn't really affected by the loses.  Yeah, losing sucks but I wasn't as emotional like years past.  However yesterday I was living and dying with each play.  It was weird.  I guess its finality of playoff football.

I was at a sport bar with a bunch of friends, so I definitely got up in the hi-fiving and shouting 'yeah!' stuff. But I'm with you in the fact that the weight was lifted off our shoulders last year.  If we still hadn't won one or were a team that hadn't won it all in ages, it would have been devastating to get knocked out on a missed field goal.  But even after the Saints game, when it looked like there was no way we were making the playoffs, the fact that we got our ring made it seem like not a big deal. I had already written it off as a year where misfortune took it's toll. Between having to stick receivers in the defensive backfield at practice due to so many injuries and Wentz still recovering from his ACL/PCL tears, I was still super optimistic about next year.

Getting into the playoffs, and actually winning a playoff game, is all just icing on the cake.  Come on and take a free ride.

The Patriots usually have one of the lowest touchback rates in the league because they found out that the average starting position is worse (the opposing team starts within the 25) when the returner has to return a shorter kick not in the end zone.  Not only is the expected average starting position worse, but an actual return takes more time off the clock.  So, it's the correct decision to kick it short and the Eagles are also big into analytics - I assume they knew this and it was intentional to kick short.
It makes sense in general, but in that particular case, with a returner like Cohen and knowing that a FG wins, I do wonder if the smarter play is just to drive it through the EZ.

I think he and Wentz have an almost identical average time to throw, at least in the 2018 regular season (~2.67).

Nick's yesterday was the quickest of all the QB in the wild card round (2.38) however.
I thought I heard that Foles’s release was significantly quicker than Wentz’s (at least this season)

I don't really think the Eagles can win this week. 

And yet Nick Foles has won 6 straight against teams who have won 10 or more games: 3 at home, 2 on the road, 1 at a neutral site.

If anyone can beat the Saints in the dome, it will be Foles.

Users who are viewing this thread