What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2024 Golf Thread, pick up the pace, HCP be a changing *** (2 Viewers)

Teeing off with Mrs. Woz for first serious business in a couple hours. Did my best to explain to her last night what a Calcutta is. She's relieved that we went "middle of the pack" and bought our own team so she feels less pressure. :shrug:

Swinging hard today and taking chances.

Anyone ever made the switch to a shorter driver shaft?

Its something I've been thinking about for a while, as I go through stretches where I just feel like I dont have enough control over it. Speed is not a problem for me and I have a pretty long swing (which doesn't help). And somehow, my brother....who is much taller than me and hits it much further...his driver (which I believe he just bought off the rack is probably like 1/2 an inch shorter than mine.

I just popped over to PGA superstore naively thinking that this was a pretty common thing (so I'd be able to hit one just as sort of an experiment) but no dice. I was even willing to bite the bullet and just buy a shorter version of my own shaft online, but you can't even do that. Seems like the only solution is to have one cut down, but I really have no desire to do that, not like it and be out $250. (since I obviously would have to buy a whole new shaft)

Its something I've been thinking about for a while, as I go through stretches where I just feel like I dont have enough control over it. Speed is not a problem for me and I have a pretty long swing (which doesn't help). And somehow, my brother....who is much taller than me and hits it much further...his driver (which I believe he just bought off the rack is probably like 1/2 an inch shorter than mine.

I just popped over to PGA superstore naively thinking that this was a pretty common thing (so I'd be able to hit one just as sort of an experiment) but no dice. I was even willing to bite the bullet and just buy a shorter version of my own shaft online, but you can't even do that. Seems like the only solution is to have one cut down, but I really have no desire to do that, not like it and be out $250. (since I obviously would have to buy a whole new shaft)
Can’t you just choke down?

Just finished our member/guest. Ton of fun but not the best golf of my career. While I have occasional rounds in the mid/high 70's when everything is on, my ball striking has not returned to pre-rotator cuff surgery status. Maybe I just lost strength. But I'm struggling to rotate, feel like I have to throw my whole body to the left to get out of the way. Very hard for me to release the club and hit draws. Driving distance is off to so I'm left with a lot of longer irons and even 5 woods into some holes. I have a really good short game, but it puts too much pressure on it to make pars. Our big 24 guy Ryder Cup type tourney is in 5 weeks so I better figure it out. Need to simplify it - thinking too much.

Reactions: Zow
Not me personally, but a regular playing partner recently switched to the Taylor Made BRNR mini driver. He already kind of had a short cut swing with his old driver. He claims to like the switch. He still hits it probably around 270 so it doesn't seem to hurt him at most courses.

Can’t you just choke down?

Certainly COULD. It just feels weird to me.

Starting to get a little annoyed at the 2024 updates to the handicap system. I play a lot of 9 hole "rounds" after work. In previous years, the system would just piece together two 9 hole nights (regardless of where you played, what tees you played from, etc) into one round and calculate the handicap impact after that.

Now, the system takes every 9 you play and uses some sort of "expected score" modifier to make it count the same as a full 18. And its not like in previous years where if you had to skip a hole (if it was closed or if you finished a match prior to the end of the round) it would give you a net par.(bogey if it was a hole you would typically "get a stroke" on) Now there's some sort of behind the scenes formula.

Example: last week played my course's front 9 and shot a 40. Our front 9 is easier, so I would likely have shot a worse score on the back. But the system adjusted the score as if I had shot a 44 on the back. Is that possible? Sure. But I typically shoot a little better than that and would certainly rather have the opportunity to actually play 9 more holes and have my index determined by holes I actually play.

Now tonight I just play the back 9. Shot a 41....a good score for me on the back. But the "expected score" modifier counts the whole round as if I had shot somewhere between a 42 or a 43 on the front. I probably shoot better than that at least 70-75% of the time.

If those two 9's had been matched together(like they were under the old system), it would have been the equivalent of an 81...which would count as an 8.4 index at my course. Instead, they're now counting as 2 separate rounds with indexes of 11.3 and 11.0. How does that make any sense?

I only play 2 NET events a year (and they're both year long knockout tournaments, so my index obviously is different for each round I advance) so I'm not someone looking to take home a bunch of hardware by sandbagging. I enjoy tracking my handicap as a way to see if I'm improving. This just seems like nonsense and easily exploitable for someone looking to just roll in some pro-shop credit all Summer.

I haven't golfed for serious in 12-15 years after being really into it before kids.

My oldest (eldest?) son is really getting into golf lately, so we hit up the driving range Sunday. Drove out of there thinking "damn it, now I need clubs", because he really likes hitting my old ones.

Picked up a set of Mizzunos today.

My Link

Users who are viewing this thread