What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2024 Golf Thread, pick up the pace, HCP be a changing *** (1 Viewer)

Heading to Phoenix tomorrow with my wife and son for some spring training baseball. My son (19 y.o.) has started getting into golf and wanted to play. We have a morning tee time at TPC Scottsdale, Champions course on Wednesday. I am prepared for him to kick my *** as well as get my money’s worth, all $234 greens fee of it, by playing all areas of the course except the fairway. I am prepared for a lot of sand and high scores but I’m with my son playing golf in Phoenix and it’s not 96 degrees. It’s a good life.

Final day of my buddy’s member guest. They decided to do par point scoring which is a little odd for a member guest (I miss the gamesmanship and team strategy of better ball match play) but this format seems to better reward consistency. We are currently in second trailing by only 1.25.

I’m hungover but am about to do a cold plunge and a shot of whisky to right the ship. Time to win.
Yeah choke job here. Didn’t even cash.

got my gallbladder out last Thursday, I have my check up today in an hour and will find out how realistic it will be to play golf 4/6 and 4/7. Tee times are booked for spyglass and Spanish Bay but I'm not getting the warm and fuzzy that I'll be able to play by then. I don't want to weakly be plotting around the course, I want to be able to take full swings and slice it OB like my game deserves to be played out there.

I have been using the GolfForever program discussed ~1 year ago and it's been pretty great. My biggest needs are still just working with our pro and actually developing some good swing mechanics, but it is nice that I think it has reduced injuries and it's portable and works when traveling, can do inside when weather is bad, etc.

got my gallbladder out last Thursday, I have my check up today in an hour and will find out how realistic it will be to play golf 4/6 and 4/7. Tee times are booked for spyglass and Spanish Bay but I'm not getting the warm and fuzzy that I'll be able to play by then. I don't want to weakly be plotting around the course, I want to be able to take full swings and slice it OB like my game deserves to be played out there.
The dr said I'm good to starting chipping and putting today! I should be good to do half swings next week once my stitches fall out and then full swings towards the end of the third week! So now it's time to increase my research on spyglass and to get some new golf shoes. We are going to hire a forecaddie for spyglass (walking with pushcart) and no caddie at Spanish bay (carts).

Changed my own grips for the first time tonight.

I do not recommend this. Thought it might be one of those "sort of annoying but you feel accomplished when you finish it" kinda tasks. Its not.

Getting the old tape off absolutely SUCKS. And by the end, my hands were ravaged from that and the contact with the solvent.

Did the putter first last night as a test-run and it was easy. Doing 13 more clubs was no fun. 0/10, would not do again.

I do not recommend this. Thought it might be one of those "sort of annoying but you feel accomplished when you finish it" kinda tasks. Its not.

Getting the old tape off absolutely SUCKS. And by the end, my hands were ravaged from that and the contact with the solvent.

Did the putter first last night as a test-run and it was easy. Doing 13 more clubs was no fun. 0/10, would not do again.
This is the same as my experience. Tried it once, and it took a long time. Getting the tape off was brutal. Just not worth doing it.

I'll happily pay somebody $5/grip now to regrip my clubs.

I find doing grips easy. You definitely need to buy the scraper though. That being said once I ran out of solvent I just take them somewhere now

Heading to Phoenix tomorrow with my wife and son for some spring training baseball. My son (19 y.o.) has started getting into golf and wanted to play. We have a morning tee time at TPC Scottsdale, Champions course on Wednesday. I am prepared for him to kick my *** as well as get my money’s worth, all $234 greens fee of it, by playing all areas of the course except the fairway. I am prepared for a lot of sand and high scores but I’m with my son playing golf in Phoenix and it’s not 96 degrees. It’s a good life.
My son and I had a great round of golf on Wednesday. My overall game wasn't anything to be admired, but my putting was on point, so there's that...and I didn't lose all of my balls in the scrub.

We had an early morning tee time and were paired with ex-PGA professional Jerry Smith and his wife. They were both very nice people and, thankfully, very patient.

Jerry shot a 67. I didn't. But he did positively comment on my aforementioned putting.

My son and I had a great round of golf on Wednesday. My overall game wasn't anything to be admired, but my putting was on point, so there's that...and I didn't lose all of my balls in the scrub.

We had an early morning tee time and were paired with ex-PGA professional Jerry Smith and his wife. They were both very nice people and, thankfully, very patient.

Jerry shot a 67. I didn't. But he did positively comment on my aforementioned putting.
Glad you had a great time on a course like that and with your son! I have questions though:
What’s it like playing with someone on that level?
Is it more pressure?
Did you feel like you were holding them up? Did he share any tips or did he keep to himself for the most part?

This is the same as my experience. Tried it once, and it took a long time. Getting the tape off was brutal. Just not worth doing it.

I like regripping clubs. I'm one of those weirdos that methodically peels the old tape off when I can. A lot less cleanup that way. I got into club building this winter so built myself a regripping station in the basement. Makes it a lot easier.

Reactions: Zow

I like regripping clubs. I'm one of those weirdos that methodically peels the old tape off when I can. A lot less cleanup that way. I got into club building this winter so built myself a regripping station in the basement. Makes it a lot easier.

This was the first time any of these clubs had been re-gripped, so maybe the "factory tape" is a little harder to crack. But I'd be shocked if anyone could remove it without significant effort and mess.

This was the first time any of these clubs had been re-gripped, so maybe the "factory tape" is a little harder to crack. But I'd be shocked if anyone could remove it without significant effort and mess.
Blow dryer, grip solvent and this

Glad you had a great time on a course like that and with your son! I have questions though:
Is it more pressure?
Did you feel like you were holding them up? Did he share any tips or did he keep to himself for the most part?
They were both super-chill. I tried managing expectations before we tee'd off but truthfully, both Jerry and his wife were great to play with. She hacked her way around the course also so it's not like we were holding him up too much. I didn't feel any pressure, nor did my son. Jerry played from the blacks mostly, we played from the blues and his wife from the reds. There were some holes that he moved up to the blues so we moved up to the whites. Probably 3-4 of them. It's his "home" course so I'm sure he golfs there a lot. He said he lives about 10 minutes up the road.

He was conversational, but not really that chatty. He didn't give any tips at all nor did we ask him for any. Actually, it was his wife that gave me a tip to wrap my right hand around the club a little more to get better control. The next shot, I hit my 6-iron about 160 yards or so to about 5 feet from the hole.

Is it more pressure?
They were both super-chill. I tried managing expectations before we tee'd off but truthfully, both Jerry and his wife were great to play with. She hacked her way around the course also so it's not like we were holding him up too much. I didn't feel any pressure, nor did my son. Jerry played from the blacks mostly, we played from the blues and his wife from the reds. There were some holes that he moved up to the blues so we moved up to the whites. Probably 3-4 of them. It's his "home" course so I'm sure he golfs there a lot. He said he lives about 10 minutes up the road.

He was conversational, but not really that chatty. He didn't give any tips at all nor did we ask him for any. Actually, it was his wife that gave me a tip to wrap my right hand around the club a little more to get better control. The next shot, I hit my 6-iron about 160 yards or so to about 5 feet from the hole.
so, the wife told you to firmly grasp the shaft with your right hand for better control? intrigued……

Is it more pressure?

so, the wife told you to firmly grasp the shaft with your right hand for better control? intrigued……
Yeah, pretty much. With some slight nuance of course….

I tried to type that as innocent sounding as possible but it was hard. Ahem.

Played for the first time since baby, first time since MLK weekend. Have made it to the range a few times and had one lesson but things just haven't quite been clicking even though I really FEEL like the swing path is overall pretty good, slight in to out. But have been struggling to make good contact. SUPER wet conditions.

Front 9: god awful 52. Ball making its way up the hole but woof. Tee shots, irons, chips all rough. Putter was great, steady, no 3-putts. About 5 holes in I just started screwing with swing thoughts and trying different stuff. Hit on the right thing around hole 9, hit 4 good shots in a row after a wayward t-shot and ended up with a nice bogey and some confidence.

Back 9: Just took every shot thinking "keep your knees bent more, stay balanced."

Had an awesome back 9. Still a couple shots and a little shaky off the tee, but got better and better hole by hole, couple pars, played bogey golf. Felt like all the rust came off and really looking forward to the round with the boys next sunday.

I have been really struggling with my driver lately. If not slicing I hit a very high fade and lose distance. Today I went to the range and tried teeing the ball lower which seemed to help as I started hitting lower and further due to more solid contact. I think when I was teeing it up higher I wasn't hitting the face of the driver but the top which caused it to go higher and lose distance.

I have been really struggling with my driver lately. If not slicing I hit a very high fade and lose distance. Today I went to the range and tried teeing the ball lower which seemed to help as I started hitting lower and further due to more solid contact. I think when I was teeing it up higher I wasn't hitting the face of the driver but the top which caused it to go higher and lose distance.
Have you tried strengthening your grip? I had the opposite problem and was pulling everything. My too strong grip was closing the face too much at impact; I weakened it and, voila, things straightened out again.

Conversely, strengthening your grip may help you close the face.

Have you tried strengthening your grip? I had the opposite problem and was pulling everything. My too strong grip was closing the face too much at impact; I weakened it and, voila, things straightened out again.

I had a lesson and the guy said my grip is neutral and recommended staying with a neutral grip and focusing on correcting my swing path to help with the slice. However, I can't seem to fix my swing path no matter what I do. The swing path on the take back is great, but coming down is very bad and causes the slice.

I had a lesson and the guy said my grip is neutral and recommended staying with a neutral grip and focusing on correcting my swing path to help with the slice. However, I can't seem to fix my swing path no matter what I do. The swing path on the take back is great, but coming down is very bad and causes the slice.
Dropping my back foot a bit also seems to help when I start slicing. Could be any number of things though :shrug:

If you don't want to change grip I will give you 2 drills to try.

1) take something soft like your club head cover and place it just outside the ball. You should be able to swing without hitting the cover (obviously give enough room for the end of club in general) this will signal if you are coming from the outside.

2) take a towel and folded and place it in your right armpit. The towel should never fall out (outside of the finished swinging) this will help from your right arm separating from your body

1) take something soft like your club head cover and place it just outside the ball. You should be able to swing without hitting the cover (obviously give enough room for the end of club in general) this will signal if you are coming from the outside.

2) take a towel and folded and place it in your right armpit. The towel should never fall out (outside of the finished swinging) this will help from your right arm separating from your body
Have tried both of these things and they both do help.

Our pro that I work with said a few things:
1. Everyone has a natural swing tendency they're constantly working against their entire life of golf. Most people who didn't grow up playing through like college and learned later, that tendency is to avoid the out to in (which happens in many different ways), moving from slice to baby fade or even getting draws. Most guys who have played forever are trying to avoid too much in to out, moving from power draw to controlled draw.
2. For me, there are SO MANY things wrong that sometimes one is prominent and sometimes it is others.
  • Sometimes I take it back too far and actually tilt my torso forward, which leads to this uncorking effect where I bounce back and come way over the top like an axe, creating an out to in that is not often a slice but quite often a dead pull. General fix is to warm up with my heels together so it's really hard to bend the torso, and then when I am swinging for real it's a big focus on balance
  • Sometimes I am trying to avoid the over-the-top so I flatten the takeaway and the attack, and it leads to this out to in sweep which is also not great
  • Sometimes I am too tall and rigid, thinking of golf technically instead of being a natural athlete and I lose tempo, so the face ends up wide open even with a decent swing path. Not hard to correct this, when everything else is working better, it's as simple as "bend your knees farther than it feels like you should"
  • Sometimes I'm focused on getting rotational power too much, and i wind up leaving too much weight on the back foot which causes the face to open and me to lean back and feel like I'll fall over LOL: this is another one where it's a big focus on balance, but I also do this drill where I lift my lead foot up so it's just barely got any weight on it, and then slam it down to start the downswing and force weight transfer
  • Sometimes the face is just staying open a bit - focus here is to do some teed up iron shots where the goal is literally "just make this ball curve right to left" - and it's amazing how much I am able to do it, and my body is like "ok, cool, in to out, whip the face through like a topspin tennis forehand, ez pz" and that tendency is ever so slooooooooowly now creeping into my swing, which is what we want
IDK if any of that is helpful, but figured I'd share.

third drill

3) leave driver in the trunk and use 3 wood :ptts:

third drill

I don't own a 3 wood lol

third drill

I don't own a 3 wood lol
I used a 3-hybrid off the tee on a couple shorter par 4s yesterday and it was awesome.

third drill

I hit my three-wood way worse than my driver. True story

For the long game, I would advise three things:
1) Get fit for your driver. Possibly more important than the head is the shaft. Kick point and weight are really underestimated. Most people's default thinking is "lighter shaft = faster swing = more distance". That's not necessarily true. I went from a 55g to 70g shaft and increased my distance because it improved my tempo.

2) Buy a 3 hybrid instead of a 3 wood

3) Buy a 7 wood instead of 3/4 iron

third drill

I hit my three-wood way worse than my driver. True story
Same

Have tried both of these things and they both do help.

Our pro that I work with said a few things:
1. Everyone has a natural swing tendency they're constantly working against their entire life of golf. Most people who didn't grow up playing through like college and learned later, that tendency is to avoid the out to in (which happens in many different ways), moving from slice to baby fade or even getting draws. Most guys who have played forever are trying to avoid too much in to out, moving from power draw to controlled draw.
2. For me, there are SO MANY things wrong that sometimes one is prominent and sometimes it is others.
  • Sometimes I take it back too far and actually tilt my torso forward, which leads to this uncorking effect where I bounce back and come way over the top like an axe, creating an out to in that is not often a slice but quite often a dead pull. General fix is to warm up with my heels together so it's really hard to bend the torso, and then when I am swinging for real it's a big focus on balance
  • Sometimes I am trying to avoid the over-the-top so I flatten the takeaway and the attack, and it leads to this out to in sweep which is also not great
  • Sometimes I am too tall and rigid, thinking of golf technically instead of being a natural athlete and I lose tempo, so the face ends up wide open even with a decent swing path. Not hard to correct this, when everything else is working better, it's as simple as "bend your knees farther than it feels like you should"
  • Sometimes I'm focused on getting rotational power too much, and i wind up leaving too much weight on the back foot which causes the face to open and me to lean back and feel like I'll fall over LOL: this is another one where it's a big focus on balance, but I also do this drill where I lift my lead foot up so it's just barely got any weight on it, and then slam it down to start the downswing and force weight transfer
  • Sometimes the face is just staying open a bit - focus here is to do some teed up iron shots where the goal is literally "just make this ball curve right to left" - and it's amazing how much I am able to do it, and my body is like "ok, cool, in to out, whip the face through like a topspin tennis forehand, ez pz" and that tendency is ever so slooooooooowly now creeping into my swing, which is what we want
IDK if any of that is helpful, but figured I'd share.
Man I'm 99% confident that the rotational power/staying too much on back foot and face being left open is my main issue right now. I'm trying the same thing. Read if you focus on up and down vs rotational the rotation comes automatically. Have to have force going down hard in that front foot.

Well yesterday was interesting.

Driver was meh. Everything in play but hitting huge cuts which i wasn't doing for a while.

Irons were ok - my wedges sucked - but i had 40 freaking putts four zero.

I don't think I've had over 34 putts in 10 years..... easily the worst putting display ever.

Now I play on some ridiculous greens - huge and hilly but even my good putts i'd miss a bunch of 5 footers.

I 3 putted 5 of the first 6 holes. OOF

First weekend of posting season.....played ok-ish. Saturday had like a 4 club wind all day and I grinded out an ok result. Birdied the 18th to end the day feeling good.

A little better weather yesterday but 2 blow up holes and a cold putter prevented a really good score. Hit one to 6 inches (probably the 2nd closest I've been to an ace) but the driver wasn't working. Taking advantage of the weather tomorrow with a half day.

Really annoying how my club never utilizes the conditions modifier when reporting scores (when you get a shot or 2 shaved off based on the conditions and scoring for that day). 4 club wind so you know scores were higher.....but no adjustments. I look at my buddy's scores down in VA and they're being adjusted like every other round. Nonsense

Just got back from Vegas/St George. Black Desert was amazing, goes to near the top of my list. Wolf Creek was amazing as always. Sand Hollow was not in as nice of shape, but worth it just for the canyon holes (12,13,15). Coyote Springs was very difficult, tons of fairway bunkering and very sloped greens. Started and ended with a night in Vegas- great trip…..

Reactions: Zow
Just got back from Vegas/St George. Black Desert was amazing, goes to near the top of my list. Wolf Creek was amazing as always. Sand Hollow was not in as nice of shape, but worth it just for the canyon holes (12,13,15). Coyote Springs was very difficult, tons of fairway bunkering and very sloped greens. Started and ended with a night in Vegas- great trip…..
coyote springs made me want to never putt again and that was after playing wolf creek and sand hollow the 2 previous days. Also, very jealous and glad you scored!

First tourney of the coast guard season kicks off tomorrow and I have only payed three times since February first :shock: FU pancreatitis but also I feel good after the range as my swing has slowed downed and I’m making solid contact with no early extension! Until tomorrow I’m sure

Back is bit troublesome right now but still playing.

Driver is all over the place for some reason. But man did I play well for the most part. Had 2 doubles on the front - one was bad break the other was bad shot

Missed 3 birdie putts from inside 8 feet. Made 2 par putts from outside 10 feet lol

Slapped together a 79. THe biggest thing was hopefully I figured out my half wedge mental block. 30-60 yards have been the death of me. Lot of FAT city from decel. Lot of thin to overcompensate. Went back to my old chip stroke and might have figured out my half wedge again. Feel like im hinging earlier but staying connected. Was so good yesterday

alos got rid of my phantom 7.5 - just hated it. Went back to my old scotty blade then got fully fitted tuesday.

My new newport plus is being made now. Got 250 trade on my phantom. :excited:

coyote springs made me want to never putt again and that was after playing wolf creek and sand hollow the 2 previous days. Also, very jealous and glad you scored!

First tourney of the coast guard season kicks off tomorrow and I have only payed three times since February first :shock: FU pancreatitis but also I feel good after the range as my swing has slowed downed and I’m making solid contact with no early extension! Until tomorrow I’m sure
Yeah Coyote was tough. Awful pin locations. Barely broke 90. Partially tore my meniscus at Zion in the middle of the trip and had to get a steroid shot yesterday. I guess I’m not 25 (or 35) anymore

Yeah Coyote was tough. Awful pin locations. Barely broke 90. Partially tore my meniscus at Zion in the middle of the trip and had to get a steroid shot yesterday. I guess I’m not 25 (or 35) anymore
Coyote is legit hard. Most of the awful courses are very scoreable.

Playing in my first "real" tournament with my wife (and her 39 hdp) as a teammate Saturday. What could go wrong?

Playing golf later this morning with a couple friends and one of their sons. They want to play a game involving masters players. Any thoughts?

Thought about having a drawing of players teeing off around our tee time and having them be your best ball partner. Probably should be players teeing off an hour before us. Our round shouldn't take nearly as long as a Masters round.

Playing golf later this morning with a couple friends and one of their sons. They want to play a game involving masters players. Any thoughts?

Thought about having a drawing of players teeing off around our tee time and having them be your best ball partner. Probably should be players teeing off an hour before us. Our round shouldn't take nearly as long as a Masters round.
You suggested what I would have. I’d time it to be players finishing like 30 minutes after you so you can watch and cheer a bit from the clubhouse post-round.

What a disaster yesterday was. I was this close to just leaving after the 12th hole but I was 3 miles from the clubhouse lol

Users who are viewing this thread