What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Aaron Dobson Bandwagon*** (1 Viewer)

Cheesedawg

Footballguy
NE drafted Dobson to be the #1 outside receiver. It took awhile, but he is moving into that role now. He has talent, a great work ethic, and is in a pretty good place traditionally to be a WR. He looks like a WW pickup in redraft in '13 and has to be climbing fast on the dynasty charts.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2013/10/aaron_dobson_s_catching_on

FOXBORO — Aaron Dobson’s teammates saw it early.

“When he first came in,” cornerback Alfonzo Dennard said, “we were going at it (in practice), and he made a one-hand catch on me. I was like, ‘This guy, he’s for real.’ I knew then he would be a special person for this team.”

Now, over the last three weeks, Dobson has done a better job of bringing the practice work to the game field, and he has fit the label of a second-round draft pick who was added to fill a substantial void at wide receiver.

In the past three games, Dobson leads the Patriots with 13 receptions for 157 yards and one touchdown. The numbers aren’t staggering, but it marks a significant improvement for a player who received an inconsistent amount of reps throughout training camp and his opening month of the regular season, which was delayed a week due to a hamstring injury.

Dobson’s 171 of 227 snaps (75.3 percent) over the last three weeks also lead all Patriots offensive skill position players, and that resembles a growing trust with quarterback Tom Brady.

“Definitely, just getting work at it and just practicing,” Dobson said. “Me and Tom are getting on the same page, and I feel like all of that is helping to transition to the field on Sunday.”

It showed up Sunday against the Dolphins when Dobson led the team with four catches for 60 yards and a scoring grab. He ran a perfect stop-and-go route for a 14-yard touchdown, and Dobson said the result felt even better because that play was discussed after a midweek film session that uncovered a tendency the Patriots believed they could exploit.

And, of course, it was installed for Dobson.

“It worked exactly how we thought it would work,” Dobson beamed.

His other three catches were also impressive for various reasons. The Marshall product ran a precise 20-yard hitch up the left sideline and sold the go-route to the point where cornerback Dimitri Patterson ran seven yards past him, resulting in Dobson’s easy catch and 26-yard gain.

That was the type of route Brandon Lloyd excelled at running last season, and Dobson has become more mechanical with his footwork to show strides in that area of his game.

Part of it comes from film study, and Dobson says he’s been watching tape of Lloyd, Deion Branch and Wes Welker to study his technique on inside routes.

Those film sessions happen throughout the week, whether it’s individual work (when Dobson sometimes likes to study Larry Fitzgerald), the Tuesday sessions with Brady or the tutorials in the meeting room with the other receivers and coach Chad O’Shea.

“We do watch our old receivers just to learn to see how they ran the routes,” Dobson said. “It might be a new play, a new concept that we’ve got so we’ll go back and see how they ran them a lot.”

Dobson also ran a simple slant for a 5-yard gain, but the play occurred when Patterson gave him eight yards of cushion on second-and-10, so it was a good example of taking what was given by the defense. Dobson’s final grab, a 15-yarder, highlighted his athleticism as he fought off Patterson’s press, cut inside well before the safety and made a difficult grab with the cornerback on his hip.

Those are the types of catches Dobson made throughout the summer, and they not only grabbed his teammates’ attention but also got the fans on their feet during open practices. Even a private contingent of Eagles supporters awed over Dobson’s leaping downfield grab against a pair of defensive backs during joint practices.

Dobson hasn’t flashed like that yet in a game, but the opportunities are increasing. Before this three-game stretch, Dobson never got more than the third-most snaps among the receivers in any game. In his first four games, he played 55.6 percent of the Patriots’ offensive snaps, so there has been a considerable uptick in playing time.

That short-term progression has been noticed by his teammates on both sides of the ball, and Dobson is working to keep that trajectory intact.

“I just feel like overall, I’m more comfortable in the system,” he said. “I’ve still got a long way to go to get to where I want to be at — to be great.”

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a bandwagon, not a hype train. Bandwagons are for those who believe in a player. Dobson doesn't need hyping.

I'll take what do you get when you cross Aaron Dobson and a hobbit for 100, Alex.
Ha! Just a typo. Was trying to get the new, informative story about Dobson out while I was trying to work...work won out (it pays better).

Bottom line: NE used a #2 to get Dobson and did not bring in any veteran outside receiver to compete. They like him a lot and want him to succeed. Their offense is struggling and they are turning to him more and more because they think he can solve some of their problems. They have great options inside now with Gronk, Amendola, and Edelman. That opens up a lot of one on one coverage outside and Brady has to be able to exploit that in order to make this offense work.

Actions speak, and the Pats' actions say they think Dobson is their best choice for the role. I bought the Dobson stock this week.

Steelers defense gives way too much cushion and Brady always takes advantage of it. I'm on the Dobson bandwagon this week.

Steelers defense gives way too much cushion and Brady always takes advantage of it. I'm on the Dobson bandwagon this week.
Pittsburgh D actually has been tough on QB's, WR's, and TE's. Mainly because it has been so easy to run on them. Oak ran the ball twice as often as they passed last week, and two weeks ago Baltimore was behind all game but still threw for barely more than 200 yards. In fact, as it stands today, no D in the NFL has been harder on fantasy WR's this season than Pitt, believe it or not. They reduce WR scoring by 6 fantasy points per game, according to FBG subscriber data (hope that is okay to cite to make a point).

So it is hard to say how great of a matchup he has this week, but in the big picture he is ascending into a pretty valuable role. If he can hold the job, he should have some big days ahead, including the week 12 matchup with Denver.

With Gronk, amendola (getting healthy), & Vereen coming back soon I can't see him having huge value... Especially with how bad Brady has been this season...

He's a FA in one of my leagues and I've been thinking about picking him up, but he just doesn't look like he has huge potential this season (redraft)

I'm now on board. Just picked up Dobson over Bowe and L. Moore.

I actually think the return/presence of other weapons in the passing game will help as NE should be able to better sustain drives, get Brady in better rhythm, and result in more scoring opportunities. As an outside WR and down the field threat Dobson plays a needed role very different from those of Gronk, Amendola, or Vereen.

Brady is on pace for statistically his worse full season as a starter by far. I think the NE offense/passing game is about to improve significantly and Dobson could have a nice second half of the year.

I'm on it in Dynasty. Traded Nicks for Dobson, 2014 1&2. Not expecting much from him this year but like what I see so far.

I'm on it in Dynasty. Traded Nicks for Dobson, 2014 1&2. Not expecting much from him this year but like what I see so far.
Wow. What a steal. Dobson has tremendous upside in 2014 and 2015. I don't really buy into him helping much this season, but there is potential for him to have a big end to the season, similar to Dez Bryant (not calling him Dez Bryant, but Dez finished real strong and Dobson has the potential to as well).

In my league we can keep 3 players but have to give up the pick ahead of where that person was drafted. Dobson was not drafted. Giving up my last pick in the draft for Dobson, who could be the #1 WR for a historically great team, is almost 0 risk. Of course, there's questions on Brady, but I think a lot of his issues this year are due to the complete overhaul at WR in the offseason.

I plan on adding him tomorrow. I have a defensive pick up right now in Baldwin so my opponent can't make a sneaky play this week as he is in need of a flex. I can drop him tomorrow

With Gronk, amendola (getting healthy), & Vereen coming back soon I can't see him having huge value... Especially with how bad Brady has been this season...

He's a FA in one of my leagues and I've been thinking about picking him up, but he just doesn't look like he has huge potential this season (redraft)
I'm with you on this, believe me, but I do buy into the hype a little bit.Gronkowski, Vereen, and Amendola present short pass options (0-15 yards). I think Dobson has that deep post/fade/fly route down that could result in some very good stats.

NE has never been a team to showcase the big deep WR. Randy Moss was the last big WR that flourished with the deep route consistently on NE. Dobson has the size, speed, and playmaking ability. We often see rookie WRs come on around now. Dobson is a good candidate for that.

Yes, it's hard to buy into anyone except Gronkowski for fantasy right now with how bad the pass offense has come, but they've been playing together for 2 months and reports on Dobson are that he is getting more involved in the offense. He's averaging 7 targets a game. People are getting more excited over Mike Browns 6 targets per game over only the last 3 weeks on a very bad team.

People are rushing out to add Brown. If Dobson is on your WW I would put him above Brown IMO

I had to drop Dobson before the season to grab Cordarrelle Patterson, but I hated to do it. I think it's so wide open in NE that Dobson could really become the man there, if he can hold on to the ball. I made a stab at Kenbrell later, hoping he might take the reigns, but that fell through. NE could REALLY use a big, tough, fast WR and it looks as if Dobson is working towards that.

If so, he could be a stud in Keeper/Dynasty.

On a slightly related side note - does anyone think Brady is not going to be "Brady" anymore? I know QBs can play longer these days, but that doesn't mean they all will. Is Big-Time-Brady gone? Or is it his team? This could be a huge factor in grading Dobson.

I'm with you on this, believe me, but I do buy into the hype a little bit.Gronkowski, Vereen, and Amendola present short pass options (0-15 yards). I think Dobson has that deep post/fade/fly route down that could result in some very good stats.

NE has never been a team to showcase the big deep WR. Randy Moss was the last big WR that flourished with the deep route consistently on NE. Dobson has the size, speed, and playmaking ability. We often see rookie WRs come on around now. Dobson is a good candidate for that.

Yes, it's hard to buy into anyone except Gronkowski for fantasy right now with how bad the pass offense has come, but they've been playing together for 2 months and reports on Dobson are that he is getting more involved in the offense. He's averaging 7 targets a game. People are getting more excited over Mike Browns 6 targets per game over only the last 3 weeks on a very bad team.

People are rushing out to add Brown. If Dobson is on your WW I would put him above Brown IMO
Agree with all that.

One wild card in all this is Brady, of course. He has been uncharacteristically inaccurate and the rumors have been swirling about a hand injury. Now he's been added to the injury report with a sore shoulder. If he get healthier in the second half, the whole passing game might take off accordingly.

Soooo...

....is this an actual Bandwagon?

I like it if so.

From FO, offensive snap counts week 9:

Dobson: 89%

Amendola: 59%

Edelman: 68%

I think this has been going on since the Saints game, though I have not checked it for every week.

Here's a crazy question...

Would you roster both Amendola and Dobson? I have Amendola and just can't seem to let him go. But Dobson is really intriguing.

Users who are viewing this thread