What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Ameer Abdullah - The Bandwagon (1 Viewer)

Yeah ...I'm not to high on AA any more

The team sux real bad and even Calvin is becoming a waste of a roster spot

How do we feel about him this week?
The good news is that his snaps jumped up by ~10% last week (54%) and he was utilized 18 times (13 carries, 5 targets). The bad news is that ARI was statistically stout before facing Gurley and DET's OL is complete and utter trash.

It's insane because we've all been obsessed with volume but even with the possibility that he'll be utilized 20 times this week I still feel anything but confident in starting him.

On the bench behind my flexes Doug Martin and Clay.

Frankly he's probably ranked 3rd of my bench guys this week behind Cooks and Woodhead too.

I acquired Gurley after his 6-9-0 debut. Stupidly Flexed AA last week; lost by four with Benjamin, David Johnson & Spiller on the bench.

:rant:

He's bye week filler & injury depth for now. If I had to lock my starting lineup for the year I'd say he'll start Week 6 (Gurley bye) and the Thanksgiving Day game - the latter being purely a sentimental choice.

F'ing Lombardi...

I have him starting as my RB2 over Joseph Randle and David Johnson due to Ivory bye..... Not very confident but I'm really hoping that the return of Pettigrew helps run blocking and that maybe just maybe Lombardi figures out a few good plays to get him in space and shine......

I have him starting as my RB2 over Joseph Randle and David Johnson due to Ivory bye..... Not very confident but I'm really hoping that the return of Pettigrew helps run blocking and that maybe just maybe Lombardi figures out a few good plays to get him in space and shine......
Pettigrew is a damn good blocker & with Ebron out for 2-3 games they're gonna something different to move the ball. They woefully thin at WR/TE once you account for 81 & 15.

If they keep running double TE I-formation with AA smashing for one yard gains, I'll be taking a long walk around 5 pm Sunday.

Thinking about starting him or spiller can't decide
I'm in the same boat. Going with Spiller. He's on a more dynamic offense. AA might get more touches but behind that line that isn't going to equate to more production. Plus Dumbardi is completely clueless along with their head coach. They don't know how to best utilize his skills even though it's plan as day to all of us watching AA play.

Thinking about starting him or spiller can't decide
I'm in the same boat. Going with Spiller. He's on a more dynamic offense. AA might get more touches but behind that line that isn't going to equate to more production. Plus Dumbardi is completely clueless along with their head coach. They don't know how to best utilize his skills even though it's plan as day to all of us watching AA play.
The systemic issue with Detroit is the lack of accountability. Caldwell should be on the hot seat & the Lombardi should be coaching TEs OL or or Ks - anything to just get that ####### Call Sheet out of his hands.

You've got a 90 y.o. widow running the team. GB for riding around Allen Park & going to all the games, but Bill Jr. needs to grow a pair.

It's probably a million to one shot but I'd love to see Terryl Austin elevated to HC before January. We're gonna lose him in the off-season if we don't. He might be the best OC or DC we've had in Detroit during my lifetime.

Back to AA & the offensive side of the ball...if you're rolling him out, that's a very low percentage play IMO. It has nothing to do with his talent or utilization. Until we see better play calling or more cohesive performance from the O-line, there is no reason to think Abdullah is anything more than oh-what-the-heck Flex play.

Agree with BobbyLane. The coaching staff is a liabilty for any AA or Megatron owner and Lions fans in general. They are clearly not going to change and probably won't get fired for at least one more season. It sucks.

TBH he is nothing but a bye week filler right now.

Whole team stinks. Didn't expect them to be this bad.

College fumbles are the biggest concern for me at this point. Everything else looks cute other than the quickly rising ADP.
Yeah, I just read that he fumbled once every 35 touches in college. This was the highest rate of the rookie class. Hope it's not an issue for him.
Ugghhh. Guess we can learn that college fumble issues CAN and DO translate to NFL fumble issues.....

Love that Abdullah essentially gets pulled for fumbling, yet Tate and Stafford are still out there with a combined 4 turnovers. Good job coach.

Matt Cutler to the bench. Doubt it will help much.

I would not be surprised to see Caldwell get the sack soon. This has all the makings of a lost team.

Alright, where do we go from here? Have we hit rock bottom or further into the abyss?

Obviously there is not a single trend or indication the Lions can turn their season around and play respectable football. However, Bears.

If you're going to roll him out at any time ROS, this is probably the week. At home versus a bad football team (albeit a team that has won two straight.) The Lions are also a (very) bad football team, and bad teams often don't work out when you think you spot a favorable matchup.

Also, Forsett hurt and Gurley on a bye - just trying to talk myself into something here.

Alright, where do we go from here? Have we hit rock bottom or further into the abyss?

Obviously there is not a single trend or indication the Lions can turn their season around and play respectable football. However, Bears.

If you're going to roll him out at any time ROS, this is probably the week. At home versus a bad football team (albeit a team that has won two straight.) The Lions are also a (very) bad football team, and bad teams often don't work out when you think you spot a favorable matchup.

Also, Forsett hurt and Gurley on a bye - just trying to talk myself into something here.
I don't see how you can trust him. I think I'd rather have ZZ at this point in that offense if I had to choose.

I don't see how you can trust him. I think I'd rather have ZZ at this point in that offense if I had to choose.
Full PPR and Riddick is on the wire. I think priority (based on standings) is like 10th/11th so probably no shot.

Welp, looks like I'll be choosing between AA, Duke versus Denver or 5-touch David @ Pittsburgh. Or Flex Golden. :X

Full PPR and Riddick is on the wire. I think priority (based on standings) is like 10th/11th so probably no shot.

Welp, looks like I'll be choosing between AA, Duke versus Denver or 5-touch David @ Pittsburgh. Or Flex Golden. :X
ugh...probably lean Duke at this point as he'll get catches.

I kind of like Abdullah as a RB3 this week. Nothing scary about the matchup for sure. The Bears have one of the worst defenses in the league and are particularly bad against the run.

I think now's a great time to Buy Low on Abdullah or definitely grab him if he's been dumped. Schedule gets easier and there's no denying his talent in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ameer just got dropped in my league and I'm thinking of picking him up. I know he's been struggling but I don't have to give up much to get him. I have Alex Smith as my second QB that I can drop. Think you may want to look again at the Bears defense though, they have been much improved compared to last year.

The Bears are 24th in run defense. They can be run on. Whether the Lions can mount an effective rushing attack is a fair question but I wouldn't view this as a difficult matchup. You certainly can't start Abdullah with any real confidence but I like his chances to get double-digit points in PPR this week.

guy sucks

dump in all formats
Talk about jumping to conclusions quickly.

In redraft I can see a team dumping him. Dynasty? No way. Especially PPR dynasty.
I wouldn't drop him in any format. Schedule gets easier going forward and he's clearly talented. Maybe it won't pan out and there are issues here (fumbling, O Line, horrible usage) but I don't like dropping talented players unless I really have no other choice.

guy sucks

dump in all formats

In redraft I can see a team dumping him. Dynasty? No way. Especially PPR dynasty.
I wouldn't drop him in any format. Schedule gets easier going forward and he's clearly talented. Maybe it won't pan out and there are issues here (fumbling, O Line, horrible usage) but I don't like dropping talented players unless I really have no other choice.
Agree, a good buy low situation.

guy sucks

dump in all formats
Talk about jumping to conclusions quickly.In redraft I can see a team dumping him. Dynasty? No way. Especially PPR dynasty.
Agree, a good buy low situation.
From steal of the draft to buy low in just a few weeks.Gotta love fantasy football.

It's not saying much but PFF graded LT Riley Reiff and RG Manny Ramirez as the two best offensive players on the Lions last week. Travis Swanson has been solid. We've been really bad at RT and whoever plays opposite Ramirez (he's flipped sides depending on the injurty situation.) The thing to remember about offensive line play is it's often about cohesiveness and communication. We haven't seen much evidence YTD but if they start jelling then they could turn things around. Injuries, Tomlinson playing a like a turnstile, predictability of the offense - there might be several correctable factors at work here. And at a certain point you just need veterans who get sick and tired of mistakes and start holding teammates accountable to do there job.

I do think there's reason to be hopeful it gets better.

:oldunsure:

Next year is my 50th season of following this team. I think when I move to the Lake Michigan beach house for good I'm throwing the t.v. out. I'm watching a webcam of the lighthouse on my iPad off to the side of my desk. Way more relaxing than wasting calories on these ####s.

Pettigrew staying healthy should also help the run game. He's a very good blocker.
Issue is fumbles and teams going after the strip when he carries the ball. So how Pettigrew has nothing to do with that.
Agree about the fumbling and have acknowledged that's an issue. However, the O Line's run blocking has generally been putrid this season so there haven't been many holes for Abdullah. Pettigrew, though, is a very good run blocker. If he can stay healthy it stands to reason that will help the line's ability to block better. if the blocking improves it stands to reason there will be more holes for Abdullah. More holes should result in better production if he can hold onto the ball.

I dug through this thread and pondered for a while but I ended up dropping Abdullah for West.

Too often we let the phrase "but he's so talented" cloud what we see happening. I fell into that boat over and over with David Wilson, Jerick McKinnon, Montee Ball and (to some extent) DMC. These guys were said to have some spark or situation in their favor but they each would crumble. The fact of the matter is talent is useless if there is not the right situation to maximize that talent.

And I fear Abdullah is in that dire situation. His offense should be LIGHTYEARS better than it is, yet is isn't. The backfield is too crowded and the coaches have shown they will play RB roulette each and every game.

Defenses know Stafford is glass and the slightest pressure will turn his arm into a wet noodle. So they will pin their ears back and go for the kill. That neuters the run game And leads to having a RB to pass protect.

You think the fumbling problems are bad now? What do you think defenses are seeing right now? They see blood in the water and their DCs are saying to strip the ##### out of that ball (see Wilson, David).

I hope this kid turns it around but I won't ever comfortably play him without thinking he can land me a goose egg. Talent does nothing when you and your team are suffering from core foundational issues that aren't being resolved. So I'm going with the hot guy right now and seeing what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
guy sucks

dump in all formats

Exactly. No way you dump him in dynasty. No way. He has too much talent to give up on at this point.

Compare him to the first 5 games of a similar style RB back in 2008, who's first 5 games looked like this:

64yds rush (2.9ypc), 19yds rec, 0 TD, 1 fumble

21yds rush (4.2ypc), 0 rec, 0 TD

0 rush (1 carry), 0 rec

23yds rush (3.8ypc), 64yds rec, 0 TD

13yds rush (1.9ypc), 46yds rec, 0 TD

Both similarly bad over the first 5 games. By the following year, most people were glad to have Ray Rice on their team.

Users who are viewing this thread