What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

...OFFICIAL... Arizona GM/Coach search (1 Viewer)

Billy Ball Thorton

Footballguy
News and rumors

Tough year to be in a coach search as we are the ugly sister of the bunch.

I personally would love to see

Andy Reid

John Gruden

Bruce Arians

Marty

I prefer Horton, and bringing in a Norv Turner for offensive cord
Bring Alex Smith for your QB as well. Turner did wonders for him in 2006. His improvement under Turner was way more dramatic than what Harbaugh did for him last season. Of course, facing Smith twice a year is something I wouldn't have a problem with. ;)

Bring Alex Smith for your QB as well. Turner did wonders for him in 2006. His improvement under Turner was way more dramatic than what Harbaugh did for him last season. Of course, facing Smith twice a year is something I wouldn't have a problem with. ;)
Sad thing is I am hoping the 9ers cut him so we can sign him. Not expecting anything Kurt Warnerish from him just avg qb play with hopefully an improved oLine and run game to go along with our D.

Sad thing is I am hoping the 9ers cut him so we can sign him. Not expecting anything Kurt Warnerish from him just avg qb play with hopefully an improved oLine and run game to go along with our D.
If AZ gets Turner for OC, it makes sense, and Smith now is far from Smith of 2006. So it could be a resurgence for Smith with Turner if that scenario happened. Smith in 2005 with Mike McCarthy as OC: 7 starts, 1 TD, 11 INTs, 875 yards passing, 40.8 completion rate.Smith in 2006 with Norv Turner as OC: 16 starts, 16 TDs, 16 INTs, 2890 yards passing, 74.8 completion rate. Turner even watered down his offense for Smith that season. Of course he left for SD in 2007. Not to mention Frank Gore's huge breakout season in 2006 as well under Turner's scheme.

If AZ gets Turner for OC, it makes sense, and Smith now is far from Smith of 2006. So it could be a resurgence for Smith with Turner if that scenario happened. Smith in 2005 with Mike McCarthy as OC: 7 starts, 1 TD, 11 INTs, 875 yards passing, 40.8 completion rate.Smith in 2006 with Norv Turner as OC: 16 starts, 16 TDs, 16 INTs, 2890 yards passing, 74.8 completion rate. Turner even watered down his offense for Smith that season. Of course he left for SD in 2007. Not to mention Frank Gore's huge breakout season in 2006 as well under Turner's scheme.
I can undestand the Smith love given the Cards current QB situation, but be careful what you wish for. Smith does not raise the level of play of those around him, and you may end up with the second coming of Elvis Grbac.

I can undestand the Smith love given the Cards current QB situation, but be careful what you wish for. Smith does not raise the level of play of those around him, and you may end up with the second coming of Elvis Grbac.
I'm a 49er fan, but yeah you're right about that.

Horton HC

Norv OC

I expect one of A.Smith/Palmer to be starting Week 1. Kolb won't be back at his salary, questionable at best if he'll even get the option to restructure. (They've got to view him as a bridge QB vs. franchise guy they envisioned 2 years ago).

Need a QB

Need a line

Need a RB

Line needs addressed early and often in this draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Worst case scenario is they bring in Reid and don't make Kolb restructure.Not opposed to Kolb returning, but #1 He must restructure, #2 View him as a bridge QB, #3 Have a better backup QB in place. Sadly we know nothing more about Kevin Kolb than we did the day we signed him. You can't pay the guy $11 mil next year to play half a season (or less) again.

CBS Sports' Jason LaCanfora expects ex-Eagles coach Andy Reid to end up as the next head coach of the Cardinals.Team president Michael Bidwill isn't willing to give up on inconsistent oft-injured QB Kevin Kolb, who tutored under Reid in Philadelphia. A Reid hire could end up costing the Cardinals DC Ray Horton. It's fair to wonder if Reid would reunite with ex-Browns GM Tom Heckert, leading to the exit of VP of player personnel Steve Keim as well. LaCanfora confirms that Horton is interviewing with Cardinals ownership on Tuesday before interviews with Buffalo and Cleveland.

I agree Kolb must restructure his deal. I did see Kolb play well at times and clearly was the best qb on the roster. Fitzgerald Roberts and Floyd is a great wr core.

I'm glad Grimm is gone as he was awful on the line.

I like Reid and think he would add credibility when recruiting free agents, he's a winner and always has been.

Horton HCNorv OCI expect one of A.Smith/Palmer to be starting Week 1. Kolb won't be back at his salary, questionable at best if he'll even get the option to restructure. (They've got to view him as a bridge QB vs. franchise guy they envisioned 2 years ago). Need a QBNeed a lineNeed a RBLine needs addressed early and often in this draft.
Kolb will restructure, that's not an issue. They won the first four games with Kolb inspite of the worst line in the league, and the whole team is in the KK camp. They know how smart he is and how much he contributed to the team, unlike the two idiot coaches that are now gone. (soooo overrated) Its not a lock yet that Andy is coming to AZ but who do you think the first person was Andy called? I can assure you that if Reid signs with AZ, then Kolb is 100% in his plans. The bigger issue will be if Steve K. gets the GM job or not.

Reports surfacing that the Arizona Cardinals have requested permission from Steelers to interview OC Todd Haley for vacant HC position

Horton HCNorv OCI expect one of A.Smith/Palmer to be starting Week 1. Kolb won't be back at his salary, questionable at best if he'll even get the option to restructure. (They've got to view him as a bridge QB vs. franchise guy they envisioned 2 years ago).
Rotoworld
Cardinals DC Ray Horton has reportedly reached out to ex-Chargers coach Norv Turner to gauge his interest in running Horton's offense in the even of a head-coaching opportunity.It's believed that Turner wants to stay out west. Horton finished his playing career with the Cowboys in the early '90s when Turner was running a juggernaut offense for the Super Bowl champs. He also coached under Turner with the Redskins in the mid-90s. Bringing in Turner would give Horton a distinct advantage in ascending to the head-coaching job in Arizona.
I think this is the only hang up before Horton gets the job (getting solid O-coord in place)Should be interesting to see who is behind center Week 1 if Norv is O-coord.

Last edited by a moderator:
are you kidding, we would kill for Elvis...

I'm of the opinion that the Cardinals organization is poisoned from the top down. I think ownership is so bad that the team doesn't have much of a chance to be very competitive. Yes, they were in a super bowl just a few years ago, but if you take a look at the history of the Bidwell ownership they have rarely been considered a top team. I'm thinking that their more recent success was mostly just due to random chance. Teams will be worse and better over time, but under Bidwell I'm thinking that they will continue to regularly fall beneath the average team.Am I way off base here?I'm asking because I'm wondering if fans feel the coach search just feels pointless due to ownership.

I'm of the opinion that the Cardinals organization is poisoned from the top down. I think ownership is so bad that the team doesn't have much of a chance to be very competitive. Yes, they were in a super bowl just a few years ago, but if you take a look at the history of the Bidwell ownership they have rarely been considered a top team. I'm thinking that their more recent success was mostly just due to random chance. Teams will be worse and better over time, but under Bidwell I'm thinking that they will continue to regularly fall beneath the average team.Am I way off base here?I'm asking because I'm wondering if fans feel the coach search just feels pointless due to ownership.
Ownership in AZ just made me more convinced I'm right here.

Users who are viewing this thread