What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Barack Obama FBG campaign headquarters *** (1 Viewer)

WOW, I am lost....so you no longer need 2/3rds for a supermajority??
What does this have to do with whether Obama has a mandate?
WTF IS A MANDATE....
It means an expression of authority. In politics, the idea is that a sufficiently convincing win is evidence of more affirmative support for your agenda than a narrow win would be. When the losers of any election start claiming that the winner has not received a mandate, they're essentially claiming that the winner should govern the way they would have, despite the fact that they lost.

I don't know if it was in this thread or another one, but somebody asked how long it would take before we started seeing real change.

The answer is that we didn't have to wait long at all. Here is a pretty drastic change:

Robert Novak on on Nov. 6, 2004 after Bush won a narrow victory:

Q: Bob Novak, is 51 percent of the vote really a mandate?

NOVAK: Of course it is. It's a 3.5 million vote margin.
Robert Novak on Nov. 5, 2008:
But Obama's win was nothing like [FDR's, when his opponent won only two states]. He may have opened the door to enactment of the long-deferred liberal agenda, but he neither received a broad mandate from the public nor the needed large congressional majorities.
It was me who asked...I dont understand what you are saying above...
Apparently the margin for a mandate has changed already.
What mandate, you do realize that more people voted against Obama than for him, right???
How do you figure?
New Math

I don't know if it was in this thread or another one, but somebody asked how long it would take before we started seeing real change.

The answer is that we didn't have to wait long at all. Here is a pretty drastic change:

But Obama's win was nothing like [FDR's, when his opponent won only two states]. He may have opened the door to enactment of the long-deferred liberal agenda, but he neither received a broad mandate from the public nor the needed large congressional majorities.
What mandate, you do realize that more people voted against Obama than for him, right???
Spell it out for us.
Pretty much no one voted for McCain, especially conservatives... They voted against Obama because they were scared...Most of the republicans that voted for Obama were protesting and voting against McCain and for a swing back to the conservative wing of the Republican party..

So you have most of the votes for McCain were not for McCain but against Obama and in protest most republican votes for Obama were votes against McCain and not votes for Obama...

This was an anti-Bush election not a pro-Obama election, that is why Obama kept linking McCain to Bush up until the very end...

The only mandate here was to get rid of Bush...

Got it...

Spell it out for us.
Pretty much no one voted for McCain, especially conservatives... They voted against Obama because they were scared...Most of the republicans that voted for Obama were protesting and voting against McCain and for a swing back to the conservative wing of the Republican party..

So you have most of the votes for McCain were not for McCain but against Obama and in protest most republican votes for Obama were votes against McCain and not votes for Obama...

This was an anti-Bush election not a pro-Obama election, that is why Obama kept linking McCain to Bush up until the very end...

Got it...
There's no doubt that Bush damaged the image of the Republican party. But you are vastly underestimating Obama's popularity and charisma if you think Obama won because of Bush.

Spell it out for us.

Got it...
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/special...html?SITE=NCSHEoh and :lmao:

Pretty much no one voted for McCain, especially conservatives... They voted against Obama because they were scared...Most of the republicans that voted for Obama were protesting and voting against McCain and for a swing back to the conservative wing of the Republican party..So you have most of the votes for McCain were not for McCain but against Obama and in protest most republican votes for Obama were votes against McCain and not votes for Obama... This was an anti-Bush election not a pro-Obama election, that is why Obama kept linking McCain to Bush up until the very end...The only mandate here was to get rid of Bush...Got it...
:lmao:Is this REALLY how Rush is spinning things? :cry:

Spell it out for us.

Got it...
You said
Obama has almost 8 million more votes than McCain, and has >50% of the popular vote. With >50% of the popular vote, how is it even possible for more people to have voted against him than for him?

Spell it out for us.

Got it...
Were you packing heat when typed this up?

Pretty much no one voted for McCain, especially conservatives... They voted against Obama because they were scared...Most of the republicans that voted for Obama were protesting and voting against McCain and for a swing back to the conservative wing of the Republican party..So you have most of the votes for McCain were not for McCain but against Obama and in protest most republican votes for Obama were votes against McCain and not votes for Obama... This was an anti-Bush election not a pro-Obama election, that is why Obama kept linking McCain to Bush up until the very end...The only mandate here was to get rid of Bush...Got it...
:thumbup:Is this REALLY how Rush is spinning things? :football:
I tuned into Rush ysterday to hear his head exlode. I wasn't disappointed. I expecially like the pogrom he intends to run against those in the party that disagree with the far right. Wrong lesson learned folks.

Spell it out for us.

Got it...
You said
Obama has almost 8 million more votes than McCain, and has >50% of the popular vote. With >50% of the popular vote, how is it even possible for more people to have voted against him than for him?
I think the idea is that people who "voted" for Obama didn't really vote for Obama.

This is pretty awesome. And of course, spectacularly wrong. You seem to be arguing for what people thought they were doing. But we can document what they did! Let's say you're taking a dump. Now, you may sincerely believe that you're writing Beethoven's Fifth Symphony. But we can empirically prove that you're taking a dump.

This is pretty awesome. And of course, spectacularly wrong. You seem to be arguing for what people thought they were doing. But we can document what they did! Let's say you're taking a dump. Now, you may sincerely believe that you're writing Beethoven's Fifth Symphony. But we can empirically prove that you're taking a dump.
:rolleyes: :lmao: :loco:Damnation. How the hell am I gonna drive home with that metaphor going on in my head!?!?!?!? :own3d:

Last edited by a moderator:
:rolleyes:I've seen industrial high-speed steel drill bits that don't spin that much.

This may just have to replace my current sig.

A team of reporters were granted year long behind the scenes access to the Obama and McCain campaigns, on the condition they would not publish until after the election. The first six of seven chapters are up, and there is some pretty interesting stuff: How He Did It

A team of reporters were granted year long behind the scenes access to the Obama campaign, on the condition they would not publish until after the election. The first six of seven chapters are up, and there is some pretty interesting stuff: How He Did It
Thanks for the link. :bye: I'll be reading this on the train tomorrow.
Wow. Seriously. Wow.That's incredibly fascinating regardless of who you voted for and i cant wait to read the next 6 pieces. Especially the confirmation of the rumors about the Clinton camp. The internal strife, the chaos, the inability to focus on a message, and amazingly that they really did have a sense of entitlement.

A team of reporters were granted year long behind the scenes access to the Obama campaign, on the condition they would not publish until after the election. The first six of seven chapters are up, and there is some pretty interesting stuff: How He Did It
Thanks for the link. :hot: I'll be reading this on the train tomorrow.
Wow. Seriously. Wow.That's incredibly fascinating regardless of who you voted for and i cant wait to read the next 6 pieces. Especially the confirmation of the rumors about the Clinton camp. The internal strife, the chaos, the inability to focus on a message, and amazingly that they really did have a sense of entitlement.
An amazing read for any political junkie. :thumbup:

Thanks for the link. :blackdot: I'll be reading this on the train tomorrow.
An amazing read for any political junkie. :thumbup:
I bought the new issue yesterday at the grocery store. I'm still not finished with it but this is excellent reading. Very well done.

Anybody else think we could move the transition should take something less than 11 weeks?

Back in the day before train travel giving the Electoral College 5 months to gather and vote made sense. We acknowledged 76 years ago the time needed for the transfer of power should be shortened. I don't understand why we don't re-evaluate if the time has come to effect the change in a quicker manner.

Not likely we'll see another constitutional amendment changing it from January 20 anytime soon (it was March 4 from George Washington until FDR's 2nd swearing in ceremony), but it ought to be up for discussion. I haven't seen any editorials or grassroots campaigns calling for it, though.

Anybody else think we could move the transition should take something less than 11 weeks?Back in the day before train travel giving the Electoral College 5 months to gather and vote made sense. We acknowledged 76 years ago the time needed for the transfer of power should be shortened. I don't understand why we don't re-evaluate if the time has come to effect the change in a quicker manner.Not likely we'll see another constitutional amendment changing it from January 20 anytime soon (it was March 4 from George Washington until FDR's 2nd swearing in ceremony), but it ought to be up for discussion. I haven't seen any editorials or grassroots campaigns calling for it, though.
Absolutely. It is time to cut it down. I think Jan. 2 would be a good date, if not even sooner. There is no good reason with the speed things move for a presidential transition to last this long. Just painful.

Anybody else think we could move the transition should take something less than 11 weeks?Back in the day before train travel giving the Electoral College 5 months to gather and vote made sense. We acknowledged 76 years ago the time needed for the transfer of power should be shortened. I don't understand why we don't re-evaluate if the time has come to effect the change in a quicker manner.Not likely we'll see another constitutional amendment changing it from January 20 anytime soon (it was March 4 from George Washington until FDR's 2nd swearing in ceremony), but it ought to be up for discussion. I haven't seen any editorials or grassroots campaigns calling for it, though.
Actually, I think it is a good time frame as currently structured. There are a lot of positions to interview and select. It is not just the cabinet, it is more than that. Plus, there needs to be some time to decompress after the election.

I spend many Saturdays afternoon hanging out with my 2½ year old God son. Basically I pick him up on my way to drop off the previous weeks clothes at the cleaners around 11:30AM and take him back to my house (this time of the year) where we play blocks (and other things). Then when he runs out of gas around 3PM I coax him back into the car so he can fall asleep on the way back to his house. At 2½ he loves planes, trains, and trucks. Victory Villa is a perfect neighborhood for planes as it is in the takeoff and landing path of Martins airport and trains as the old Penn Central lines are half a mile away (and the B&O lines are about a mile away). Anyway at 2:30 the two of us went online to see if we could figure out where "the train" was. There was a web cam at the Edgewood station where the train was suppose to slow down and we watched the people stand out waiting for it. Around 2:50 we heard the train whistles and saw the people start waving and when the train was visible my God son said "that Barack Obama, who's that" pointing Joe Biden as he started waving to the train on line. I was kind of surprised that he knew who Barack Obama was yet alone be able to pronounce it better than 90% of the population.

I asked him if he wanted to go wave to the train and all excited he found his shoes. We got all bundled up and went to the car. I drove to the road that runs parallel to the tracks and while there wasn't many people out waiting the two great spots I had hoped to grab were taken. There was also large crowd outside the country bar, but all the parking was gone. We drove around to the "duck park" or "bridge park" (the drainage ponds for the shopping center across the street) and then walked across the baseball diamond to a pretty good spot (about 150 yards from where the Mondale-Ferraro bumper sticker can still be seen on a guardrail). We got there just in time to hear the horns and to see an Amtrak train go by with bunting in the back. But since we had seen the Edgewood video we knew that wasn't "the train" and so I got "the big boy" up on my shoulders with the American flag car flag I drive around with and a minute later "the train" went by. Both trains were moving slower than a regular Amtrak run but still went by at a pretty good clip. We walked back to my truck and after spending 5 minutes in the cold the young man was coaxed into the ride home. His excitement, which was somewhat surprising lasted about 3/4th of the way home as he kept saying "I saw Barack Obama's train!"

Wasn't surprised that he wanted to watch the train go by, although freight trains are more fun. However, I would have never expected that he would have cared, yet alone be thrilled to death to see "Barack Obama's train". A shame it was too cold to take him downtown for the festivities (which I missed on TV also). Fun five minutes!

I agree it's way too much money considering the circumstances. Do we know how much of it is private money and money left over from his campaign?

Come on. Even you hardest of hardcore obama guys have to admit this #### is a bit much.
You're seething over this aren't you?
I'm seething over all my taxpayer money that's being burned on this thing.Just seems a little strange to spend damn near 200 million dollars on his coronation when we're in the middle of "the greatest economic disaster since the depression".
I thought spending money helped the economy. :sadbanana:

Hard to believe that he's getting sworn in today. Hope all goes well, his speech is good, and that his administration is good for America.

There's a lot of potential here for him to put a much more positive face on America to the rest of the world and even within our country. It's akin to the post 9-11 sentiment where pro-american sentiment was high, but that opportunity was squandered. Can Obama wield all this fanfare into something favorable for the nation? I think he has a good shot.

He's shown that he and his team are masters of symbolism, rhetoric and timing. From the start of the campaign, they showed an amazing attention to detail and symbolism in each location the speeches were given, the sets, the messages...from the announcement of his campaign, to the victory speech. His rhetorical skills have arguably played the biggest part in getting him elected, and he's without a doubt one of the most gifted speakers in politics today. And the campaigns timing has been quite good, utilizing symbolism and rhetoric at the right times, in the right amounts. I think back to his speech on race, after the Wright issue erupted and was poised to sink his campaign. He gave a brilliant speech on race (according to most) and saved his campaign. It was at the right time, struck the right tone, on an amazingly complicated issue.

There's just so much he can do with this opportunity, and I believe that he has the team, and the skillset to pull this off. Hopefully, this will be a new era in American presidencies, and the way he does things will set the tone for the following presidents. Good luck President Obama. Make us proud!

Users who are viewing this thread