What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Bishop Sankey - Best RB in the 2014 Draft (2 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Bishop Sankey - RB - Titans

Coach Ken Whisenhunt said Monday Bishop Sankey is "getting better" and the Titans are "excited about him."

Whisenhunt said "nerves were a factor" in regard to Sankey's slow start against the Jaguars, but he finished relatively strong with 68 yards on 19 touches. Most unfortunately for Sankey's fantasy owners, he was vultered at the goal line by FB Jackie Battle, and Dexter McCluster remained the passing-down back. Sankey will be a flex option in Week 7 against Washington.

Source: Paul Kuharsky on Twitter

Oct 13 - 4:54 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
Oher stinks. Titans gotta admit that and stop running right so much.

Run at that firey Left Tackle you picked in the first round and let's see what shakes out

Battle has maybe 2 or 3 carries this year. Last year IIRC he was the feature back for a week and otherwise had a similar tiny amount of rushes.

He's not this ultra-talented guy that each coach will use differently. He gets tired and Thompson usually subs for him. I love that he gets tired and find that oddly great from a FB; guy literally gives it his all.

I don't see him as the GL back at all.

It's just throwing the dog a bone.

FFers had him as a RB in KC and have this other notion about him that he doesn't fit. He's a FB and really does it well in TEN. If you can forget his time in KC and watch a Titans game, I have little doubt you'll love his high energy motor

Sankey is going to be a stud... I think he looked really good at times yesterday.

Is it just me - or does that billy bronco guy enjoy arguing with everybody.?.?.?...

No faith in Sankey going forward. It feels a lot like TRich last year==the whole "wait for next week." No thanks. Traded him for Michael Floyd. Feel blessed right about now...

No faith in Sankey going forward. It feels a lot like TRich last year==the whole "wait for next week." No thanks. Traded him for Michael Floyd. Feel blessed right about now...
Sankey has a career 4.2 YPC - higher than Richardson's YPC at any point in his career.

It would be a big surprise to me if he became that kind of player. To me he has looked like kind of a dud since the preseason. Not totally devoid of talent, but lacking special qualities to stand out from the legions of mediocre backs occupying NFL roster spots. The main thing I liked about him as an FF commodity was his short-term opportunity and he hasn't even fully seized that. Anything can happen, but I think he's more likely to become a Felix Jones/Julius Jones/Tashard Choice/Donald Brown level player than somebody that a team rolls out as its war horse year in and year out. People who've been holding as his value has been dropping will have to keep wishing and hoping that he'll flash out for a game or two, which he certainly could given the high opportunity. Then maybe you can pawn him off to the next unfortunate soul.

It would be a big surprise to me if he became that kind of player. To me he has looked like kind of a dud since the preseason. Not totally devoid of talent, but lacking special qualities to stand out from the legions of mediocre backs occupying NFL roster spots. The main thing I liked about him as an FF commodity was his short-term opportunity and he hasn't even fully seized that. Anything can happen, but I think he's more likely to become a Felix Jones/Julius Jones/Tashard Choice/Donald Brown level player than somebody that a team rolls out as its war horse year in and year out. People who've been holding as his value has been dropping will have to keep wishing and hoping that he'll flash out for a game or two, which he certainly could given the high opportunity. Then maybe you can pawn him off to the next unfortunate soul.
Funny that you're writing off Sankey after 6 games. How are you feeling about using a top dynasty 50 pick on Trent Richardson this year?

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny that you're writing off Sankey after 6 games. How are you feeling about using a top dynasty 50 pick on Trent Richardson this year?
Why do people do this? That brings absolutely nothing to the thread, and yes, I realize I'm in the same boat with this post.

Why do people do this? That brings absolutely nothing to the thread, and yes, I realize I'm in the same boat with this post.
I think these type of quotes do provide value to a thread - it helps people to remember to take someone's opinion with a grain of salt.

Knowing the value of someone's opinion is important.

Opinions are like...

I don't understand why bringing up McCoy and Rice is such a bad thing. Saying Sankey is the next Ray Rice is silly - though still a possible outcome even if not probable. Drawing comparisons to the conclusions people made about Rice and McCoy after their rookie seasons and the conclusions some are making about Sankey here is very valid. Some guys need a season or 2 in the NFL for the game to slow down for them or their bodies to develop or whatever - there's a myriad of reasons we could list. Write him off after a handful of career touches of after his first two touches on a random Sunday in October at your own peril. He's flashed enough for me to still be optimistic going forward.

I don't understand why bringing up McCoy and Rice is such a bad thing. Saying Sankey is the next Ray Rice is silly - though still a possible outcome even if not probable. Drawing comparisons to the conclusions people made about Rice and McCoy after their rookie seasons and the conclusions some are making about Sankey here is very valid. Some guys need a season or 2 in the NFL for the game to slow down for them or their bodies to develop or whatever - there's a myriad of reasons we could list. Write him off after a handful of career touches of after his first two touches on a random Sunday in October at your own peril. He's flashed enough for me to still be optimistic going forward.
That's part of process of evaluating prospects. Obviously there's a high chance a player never reaches that level but you need to look for possible comps to judge a player's ceiling.

I hope I'm wrong but the combination of the Titans playcalling, poor defense, and Sankey's good-but-not-great talent make me think he's not going to pay off this year. If the Titans can't commit to running the ball in the second half when leading the freaking JAGS by two scores, then when WILL they? Losing GL touches to Jackie Battle is just another dent in Sankey's fantasy value.

OrangeJulius said:
SayWhat? said:
cstu said:
EBF said:
I think these type of quotes do provide value to a thread - it helps people to remember to take someone's opinion with a grain of salt.

Opinions are like...
I'm looking for awareness of biases (we all have them) moreso than calling anyone out. EBF is one of my favorite posters here and has some great points to make on players but IMO is too quick to judge and sticks with that evaluation too long.

The Sankey/Richardson debate is a great example - he never liked Sankey and loved Richardson so he's writing Sankey off after 6 games but still believed in Richardson even after two miserable years.

If only he were a little faster and a little bigger. But he's not. I do think he has the skillset to be a starter, but he looks very pedestrian. His playing style is different than Shonn Greene but he will probably have a similar career. Good enough to make it in the NFL and carve out a below average career with a decent year or two mixed in.

The attention span / patience level of the FF community is unreal at times.

There is absolutely ZERO conclusions anyone can draw about Bishop Sankey at this time.

He's gone from 2 touches in Week 2 to 19 in Week 3. He's gone from "poor footwork" to "we're excited about him" in the coaches' eyes.

Plenty of equal/less talented backs have risen to prominence in the span of a season (Zac Stacy, Lamar Miller, etc.).

Dudes just need to let this play out.

I hope I'm wrong but the combination of the Titans playcalling, poor defense, and Sankey's good-but-not-great talent make me think he's not going to pay off this year. If the Titans can't commit to running the ball in the second half when leading the freaking JAGS by two scores, then when WILL they? Losing GL touches to Jackie Battle is just another dent in Sankey's fantasy value.
Maybe the Titans coaches think he needs to improve his goal line footwork...

There is absolutely ZERO conclusions anyone can draw about Bishop Sankey at this time.

He's gone from 2 touches in Week 2 to 19 in Week 3. He's gone from "poor footwork" to "we're excited about him" in the coaches' eyes.

Plenty of equal/less talented backs have risen to prominence in the span of a season (Zac Stacy, Lamar Miller, etc.).

Agree to an extent. But having said that...is anyone starting him this week?

Agree to an extent. But having said that...is anyone starting him this week?
I might.

EIther him or Wright or Storm Johnson or James Jones as my flex in a PPR.

Not the greatest of choices.

If Sankey can give me 70-80 total yards and 1-2 catches out of my flex, I'd be ok.

I disagree. Unlike other positions, the RB position is fairly easy to draw reasonable conclusions right out of the gate. There will always be outliers of course. But for the most part if a guy doesn't look good, then what you see is what you get. He couldn't beat out a healthy Shonn Greene, which is really all you need to know for redraft. And he just put up a pedestrian performance against the worst rush D in the league at home. I don't think he pays off this year.

So are we not allowed to discuss him until then?

What exactly is wrong with seeing a lack of production or a lack of reps, identifying a likely cause(s), and discussing it? If Sankey takes extra steps when he goes to the edge and sees any opposition, or can't get much beyong initial contact, or isn't very authoritative between the tackles - why is that taboo to talk about? Even moreso, for the pro-Sankey guys to admit?

Then if he improves in any of those areas as the season wears on, we can identify that and discuss how it is affecting his performance. I've done it - it doesn't hurt at all. Honest. Opinions can change as a player does or does not improve.

Instead there is supposed to be a hiatus on any discussion of the player and their play until we have a sufficient sample? How many touches does a player need in your opinion before people should be allowed to post and evaluate what they see? 150? 200?

OrangeJulius said:
SayWhat? said:
cstu said:
EBF said:

Opinions are like...
I have nothing against Sankey but because of you, Brewtown, I have never wanted a RB to fail as much as I do Sankey this year.

Rotoworld:

Bishop Sankey - RB - Titans

According to the Nashville Tennessean, the Titans "plan on using a running back by committee approach" this season.

Beat writer Jim Wyatt's "thinking" is Bishop Sankey will lead the team in "carries and production," but Dexter McCluster will be ex-Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt's new Danny Woodhead, and the Titans "want (Shonn) Greene to be their power back in goal-line and short-yardage situations." Wyatt also noted McCluster was an "offseason star" at pre-training camp activities. Most NFL executives viewed Sankey as a rotational back as opposed to a feature runner prior to May's draft. The Titans made him the first running back selected, but he's hardly a lock to handle bellcow work.

Related: Shonn Greene, Dexter McCluster

Source: Nashville Tennessean

OrangeJulius said:
SayWhat? said:
cstu said:
EBF said:

Opinions are like...
ya bc some ppl are never wrong. sorry, but anyone that amazing aint wasting their time posting at this place. they are busy printing mirrions on dailies and sports bets.

I disagree. Unlike other positions, the RB position is fairly easy to draw reasonable conclusions right out of the gate. There will always be outliers of course. But for the most part if a guy doesn't look good, then what you see is what you get. He couldn't beat out a healthy Shonn Greene, which is really all you need to know for redraft. And he just put up a pedestrian performance against the worst rush D in the league at home. I don't think he pays off this year.
plenty of rbs havent been able to beat out the lackluster incumbent tho. so thats not all you need to know. ppl already mentioned mccoy and rice. what about lamar miller, gio bernard, demarco murray, ellington, reggie bush, jamaal charles, frank gore, tiki barber.

He's averaging 4.2 YPC on the season - 4.5 YPC if you take out two meaningless carries at the end of the last game.

You're talking redraft but my focus on him has been his dynasty value, which looks like it will be good by next season.

OrangeJulius said:
Sankey is going to be a stud... I think he looked really good at times yesterday.

Is it just me - or does that billy bronco guy enjoy arguing with everybody.?.?.?...
If it's the same Bronco Billy that posted in The Huddle, he definitely argues a lot and thinks he's always right.

Forgetting Leveon Bell already? guy looked positively pedestrian as a rookie, and a lot of people were bailing on him this past summer. Now he looks like a perrenial top five back.

I realize you're talking about redraft, but it's a mistake to think a rookie RB won't improve over the course of even his first season. It might be silly to count on dramatic improvement, but it's equally silly to write it off as impossible.

The play calling is horrendous for Titans. They run way too many times out of shot gun, and when you can't pass the ball you can't run out of shot gun.

Looking good on this drive!!

Getting the opportunities....
He almost had 6 whole points on 16 touches today! ####### stud!
As crappy as his fantasy points were, he actually looked decent and will be a good RB. I watched plenty of the game to make my assessment not just the box score.
Oh, he has definitely looked good at times, I've stated as much in this thread. Talent is however moot in the face of the Brewtown curse.

Rotoworld:

Bishop Sankey rushed 16 times for 56 yards in Tennessee's Week 7 loss to the Redskins.

Sankey committed a brutal drop on his lone target in the passing game. It was a screen where Sankey had room to rack up yards. Sankey could have had an additional 20 yards, but had two runs called back by penalty. Sankey was Tennessee's clear lead runner — Dexter McCluster, Jackie Battle and Leon Washington combined for only nine touches — but Sankey has failed to run away with No. 1 duties in Shonn Greene's (hamstring) absence. He remains an RB3, albeit a solid one, until further notice.

Oct 19 - 5:41 PM

Rotoworld:

Bishop Sankey rushed 16 times for 56 yards in Tennessee's Week 7 loss to the Redskins.

Sankey committed a brutal drop on his lone target in the passing game. It was a screen where Sankey had room to rack up yards. Sankey could have had an additional 20 yards, but had two runs called back by penalty. Sankey was Tennessee's clear lead runner — Dexter McCluster, Jackie Battle and Leon Washington combined for only nine touches — but Sankey has failed to run away with No. 1 duties in Shonn Greene's (hamstring) absence. He remains an RB3, albeit a solid one, until further notice.

Oct 19 - 5:41 PM
That is a terrible analysis of that play. The ball was deflected at the line of scrimmage before getting to Sankey making the catch tough. The announcer missed it and called it a bad drop and this summary misses mark as well.

This thread still makes me laugh. Brewtown is so invested he can't eat crow. Sankey looks to be the equivalent of Montee Ball to me.

Noah Davis said:
This thread still makes me laugh. Brewtown is so invested he can't eat crow. Sankey looks to be the equivalent of Montee Ball to me.
He's averaged 4 YPC and nearly 10 YPR.

:confused:

How did Ray Rice and LeSean McCoy look in their rookie seasons?
You're comparing Sankey's talent and ability to Rice & McCoy?

Wow.
I drafted both McCoy and Rice and I can tell you they were both disappointing in their rookie seasons. McCoy especially made bonehead decisions like not covering a lateral pass from his QB and letting the defense recover after it bounced off his hands... I remember that play vividly in my mind and thinking, this guy is not going to play for a while. It turned out ok next year tho!

I'd don't believe anti-Sankey people are actually watching him play.

On his first 11 carries against the Redskins he had 49 yards (4.5 YPC) and made some impressive plays. In the 4th quarter he was held to 5 carries for 7 yards but the Redskins were getting to him in the backfield.

just traded him for alfred blue to handcuff foster (re-draft). don't think sankey has much value ROS with green coming back into the picture soon

On his first 11 carries against the Redskins he had 49 yards (4.5 YPC) and made some impressive plays. In the 4th quarter he was held to 5 carries for 7 yards but the Redskins were getting to him in the backfield.
You confusing real football fans with "if-he-aint-scoring-me-20+-points-a-game-he-sukz" posters in this thread/board who think FF > NFL.

You confusing real football fans with "if-he-aint-scoring-me-20+-points-a-game-he-sukz" posters in this thread/board who think FF > NFL.
False. He's confusing anti-Sankey people with anti-Brewtown people.

I am a Fan of the NFL and I think Sankey is an above average RB (just barely) but when it comes to fantasy football he is a RB3/4 at best. I play fantasy football to win and if winning is the goal Sankey doesn't help me accomplish said goal.

I'm not anti-Sankey, I just think he has a very pedestrian skill set. There is nothing special about him. That doesn't mean he won't have a solid career, but I would rather place a bet on a guy like Jerick McKinnon who has compelling athleticism.

Users who are viewing this thread