What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Cooking Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

I tried a different technique for cooking country style ribs (I typically just do a long braise with them). I read about this on the Cooks Country web site.

1) Cut ribs into relatively equal lengths

2) Pound ribs to 3/4" thickness

3) Brine in a simple water/salt solution for 1 hour in fridge

4) Rinse and pat dry

5) Add spice rub

6) Grill on indirect heat until ~125ish degrees

7) Baste (with your sauce of choice) and flip, cooking on direct heat for 3-5 minutes (do not let over char)

8) Baste and flip once more and cook 3-5 minutes on direct heat again watching for char

9) Take off heat around ~145ish degrees and let rest tented for 5 minutes

I was very happy with how easy and quick these were. And they were very tender, something I struggle with unless I do a long braise on this cut.

proninja said:
Also, sharpening. Chefsteps recommends a 180 dollar whetstone set. I don't want to use an electric sharpener even though it would probably work just fine for my purposes because I'm a nerd and I want to learn to so it the "right" way. Also my henckels chef knife has a few dings in it I'd like to be able to fix. Anybody have suggestions?
Give a breeze through this thread when you get a chance as there was discussion on this topic.

A very inexpensive sharpener that a bunch of us purchased and loved was recommended. It might be worth looking into before spending $180 for something that might not do that much more for you.

I tried something very different the other day based on a recipe Eddie Jackson did from the Food Network Star show.

I started with some very nice squash and zucchini. Using a carrot peeler, I removed the skin and then thin sliced the vegetables into long ribbons.

On side I made a lemon, butter and chicken stock based sauce.

The vege noodles were then quickly sauteed and tossed in the sauce. Came out great, turning the veggies into pasta like noodles.
I have one of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kitchen-Spiral-Shred-Vegetable-Fruit-Process-Device-Cutter-Slicer-Peeler-Tool-WW/161679677371?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20141212152715%26meid%3D318373d0735b47359077ae135ecf7c58%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D29%26sd%3D261814791982

It actually makes it much more like pasta than just a vegetable peeler. I use it all the time.
Purchased. Estimated shipping Aug 28 - Sept 30. oof
when you get this please give a review as I am very interested what type of veggies you can use with this. Off the top of my head it looks good for cucumbers and carrots.

proninja said:
I need to sehorn this thread. The wife had been down for the count with pregnancy and baby for the last year and a half or so, and I've been doing all the cooking. Turns out I like more than just my BGE.

Anybody in here use an immersion circulator?

I'm looking at getting a couple shun classic knives. The knife nerd forums aren't too excited about them, but when I demoed them I found then fantastic, and most of the comparable knives are thicker. I want thin - I have a decent German chef knife for anything that would require more heft.

Also, sharpening. Chefsteps recommends a 180 dollar whetstone set. I don't want to use an electric sharpener even though it would probably work just fine for my purposes because I'm a nerd and I want to learn to so it the "right" way. Also my henckels chef knife has a few dings in it I'd like to be able to fix. Anybody have suggestions?
I have this and really like it on our not-too-cheap (Chicago Cutlery) knives. 4.6/5.0 rating, 76% 5-star reviews

I just came back from my local farm where I went out into the fields and picked out some gorgeous tomatoes.

Does anyone have any salsa recipes/techniques they can share?

Here is one that I do, it is more of a Pico de Gallo, but that is splitting hairs.

2 tbl white onion, finely diced

8 Roma tomatoes (about 1lb), diced

2 Serrano chiles, finely diced, with seeds

2 tbl finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves

1 tsp sugar

1 tsp salt

1 tbl Lime Juice

Place onion in a strainer, rinse with hot water and drain. Thoroughly combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add a little more sugar if the tomatoes are too acidic, but make sure the salsa doesn't taste like sugar. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to combine.

Yield: About 2 cups. Can be easily increased, just keep ingredient proportions equal.
This uses Romas because they tend to be less juicy.

Here is another that is similar to the Uncle Julio's Restaurant salsa (If you have one of them near you)

• 1 can (14.5 oz) fired roasted tomatoes
  • 3/4 cup onion (small onion)
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded and deveined
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves (about 1 cup)
  • 2 oz green chili (half a can)
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
Directions:
  1. Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until desired consistency. Try it and adjust salt and pepper to your taste if necessary.
  2. Serve immediately with chips or refrigerate in a sealed container up to 4 days.
Notes
If you want to add more heat use the entire jalapeno with seeds, or even add in two.
You could make this with your fresh tomatoes by first charring them a bit on the grill.

OK so I tried a version of the fire roasted salsa Mr Ected recommended yesterday.

*I sauteed onions and garlic and set aside\

*I grilled roma tomatoes and a jalapeno pepper until they blistered

*I removed the tomato skins, coarsely chopped and tossed into a blender

*I coarsely chopped the pepper and tossed into the blender along with the onions and garlic

*I added salt, sugar, lime juice, cumin, oregano and chili powder

*Pulsed the blender until I got the consistency I was looking for and adjusted the seasonings

Very happy with the outcome! It is cooling now and I am looking forward to using it with chicken fajitas tonight.

OK so I tried a version of the fire roasted salsa Mr Ected recommended yesterday.

*I sauteed onions and garlic and set aside\

*I grilled roma tomatoes and a jalapeno pepper until they blistered

*I removed the tomato skins, coarsely chopped and tossed into a blender

*I coarsely chopped the pepper and tossed into the blender along with the onions and garlic

*I added salt, sugar, lime juice, cumin, oregano and chili powder

*Pulsed the blender until I got the consistency I was looking for and adjusted the seasonings

Very happy with the outcome! It is cooling now and I am looking forward to using it with chicken fajitas tonight.
Great! It can be made also with canned fire roasted tomatoes. (Great for winter!)

When I cook, I often make huge batches and freeze for later. This can propose a problem when dicing multiple onions as I'm crying like a baby and basically can't even see at the end...even when I soak in cold water, light a candle, chew gum, etc. Does anyone have any experience with good products that dice onions quickly and cleanly?

:thanks:

When I cook, I often make huge batches and freeze for later. This can propose a problem when dicing multiple onions as I'm crying like a baby and basically can't even see at the end...even when I soak in cold water, light a candle, chew gum, etc. Does anyone have any experience with good products that dice onions quickly and cleanly?

Have you tried sweet onions like Vidalia or Mayan? Here are some other tips. And a bizarre one.

Have you tried sweet onions like Vidalia or Mayan? Here are some other tips. And a bizarre one.
Tried all those tips except the vent fan and the bread. Will try those next time :thumbup:

Tried all those tips except the vent fan and the bread. Will try those next time :thumbup:
Another thought is to do them on the deck. Wind might help!

Any decent food processer should take care of the job, I use this for large cooks that want baked beans or salsa requiring me to process al ot of onions.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/kitchenaid-7-cup-food-processor/202638?skuId=40201993&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_kitchenelectrics_&adpos=1o4&creative=43742642989&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CMDJkqfXuscCFYc6gQodP80AcA

Any decent food processer should take care of the job, I use this for large cooks that want baked beans or salsa requiring me to process al ot of onions.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/kitchenaid-7-cup-food-processor/202638?skuId=40201993&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_kitchenelectrics_&adpos=1o4&creative=43742642989&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CMDJkqfXuscCFYc6gQodP80AcA
Wouldn't that make them pretty mushy?

Not when you pulse them

Not when you pulse them
Wouldn't it also help to chop them up a bit into smaller pieces before using the processor?

Not when you pulse them
Wouldn't it also help to chop them up a bit into smaller pieces before using the processor?
LOL, yes, my bad I assumed that was understood, for diced you want to cut the onions into quarters, if you want slices cutting them in half is best.

lol @ a sharper knife.

Fresher or sweeter onions will not be as strong. Bread in the mouth works (for a short period of time). When I worked at a restaurant, we also used ski goggles when doing large batches. That worked for a slightly longer period of time. Nothing was full-proof though. Especially if you're cutting strong onions.

proninja said:
E-Z Glider said:
lol @ a sharper knife.

Fresher or sweeter onions will not be as strong. Bread in the mouth works (for a short period of time). When I worked at a restaurant, we also used ski goggles when doing large batches. That worked for a slightly longer period of time. Nothing was full-proof though. Especially if you're cutting strong onions.
It made a big difference for me. Sorry if I offended your superiority complex :shrug:
Yes, Im clearly far superior to you because I once had a ####ty job slicing onions for minimum wage. Just found your explanation funny.

The sharper knife theory has been around for a long time. Here are some chemistry based basics I found online:

===================================================================

If you want to prevent tears, you have to chop in a way that produces less irritant, and prevents the irritant from reaching your eyes. Here are our five favorite ways to stop the waterworks:

1. Use a sharp knife. A sharp knife will cause less damage to cell walls, and fewer irritants will be released.

2. Keep the exposed cuts away from you. As soon as you cut an onion in half, turn both halves down on your cutting board. Leave the side you aren't currently chopping unpeeled. Once you've finished with one half, move the diced onion into a prep bowl, and set it on the opposite side of the kitchen, before proceeding with the rest of the onion.

3. Cut the onion properly. Chefs have an efficient way of dicing onions which conveniently keeps the most of the exposed cuts against the board.

4. Chill the onions. With a cold onion, less propanethial S-oxide will evaporate. You'll still get some irritants, but this will help. Remember – refrigerate, don't freeze. Frozen raw onions are often mushy when they thaw.

5. Run the vent hood. Position your cutting board next to the stove and turn on the exhaust fan. Irritants will be pulled away from you and your eyes.

I always just let the onion make me really look like I've been crying my eyes out. then I run into the room my wife is in and scare the #### of her making her think something's wrong.

I am going for an old school meat and potatoes night tonight.

* Heat up Big Green Egg to very hot (550ish)

* Prepare two chuck steaks with spices and rubbed with peanut oil

* preheat cast iron skillet in Egg

* Put both steaks on preheated skillet and cook for 40 seconds

* Flip and cook for 40 seconds

* Shut down Egg and let meat roast for about 6 minutes (check temp and pull when done)

* Remove steaks from skillet and let rest for ten minutes

* Add chopped onions and sliced mushrooms to skillet and saute

* Once onions and mushrooms are cooked add home made beef stock and some Worcestershire sauce and fresh pepper and let cook together for a couple of minutes and then add thickening agent in a slurry to liquid to turn it more into a gravy thickness

* Add rested steaks back into gravy and let mix for a couple of minutes

* Cut up yukon gold potatoes, red bell pepper and onion and toss pieces in spices and olive oil

* Spread mixture on baking sheet and roast in oven, flipping and moving food every ten minute or so until potatoes are soft

* Serve steak, potatoes and gravy, along with the roasted veggies along with some grilled corn on the cob

Can't wait!

Last edited by a moderator:
The sharper knife theory has been around for a long time. Here are some chemistry based basics I found online:

If you want to prevent tears, you have to chop in a way that produces less irritant, and prevents the irritant from reaching your eyes. Here are our five favorite ways to stop the waterworks:

1. Use a sharp knife. A sharp knife will cause less damage to cell walls, and fewer irritants will be released.

2. Keep the exposed cuts away from you. As soon as you cut an onion in half, turn both halves down on your cutting board. Leave the side you aren't currently chopping unpeeled. Once you've finished with one half, move the diced onion into a prep bowl, and set it on the opposite side of the kitchen, before proceeding with the rest of the onion.

3. Cut the onion properly. Chefs have an efficient way of dicing onions which conveniently keeps the most of the exposed cuts against the board.

4. Chill the onions. With a cold onion, less propanethial S-oxide will evaporate. You'll still get some irritants, but this will help. Remember – refrigerate, don't freeze. Frozen raw onions are often mushy when they thaw.

5. Run the vent hood. Position your cutting board next to the stove and turn on the exhaust fan. Irritants will be pulled away from you and your eyes.
:bs:

How much an onion makes you cry is based on how strong the onion is. How strong the onion is, is based on what type of onion it is and its age. If you have a mild onion, you can smash it with a hammer and it wont make you cry. If you have a strong onion, it doesnt matter how sharp (or what ethnicity) your knife is, it will burn. Doing these 5 things may help to reduce the amount of irritants in the air, but to suggest its going to "prevent tears" is wrong. Onions are pretty serious business, I dont take this topic lightly.

How much an onion makes you cry is based on how strong the onion is. How strong the onion is, is based on what type of onion it is and its age. If you have a mild onion, you can smash it with a hammer and it wont make you cry. If you have a strong onion, it doesnt matter how sharp (or what ethnicity) your knife is, it will burn. Doing these 5 things may help to reduce the amount of irritants in the air, but to suggest its going to "prevent tears" is wrong. Onions are pretty serious business, I dont take this topic lightly.
I won't argue your general points because they are correct but I just posted that info because you were a little rude laughing at the poster who suggested the sharp knife.

If you google "onion tears", almost every single link will mention it helps to use a very sharp knife.

I made chicken cacciatore twice in the last week and a half. My own recipe, its pretty basic but delicious. Served it the first time with angel hair pasta, and the second time with rice. Pasta all the way. Also served garlic bread with it both times. Will post the recipe later, although I never measure anything when I cook...I can give a ballpark, but you'll have to adjust to taste.

proninja said:
My kid really likes chicken, so last night at Costco getting salad supplies (every morning I make two salads for our respective lunches) I picked up a rotisserie chicken. I got home and butchered the chicken, dicing all of the meat, which left me with a carcass and the fat drippings. So I decided to make soup. I pulled the frozen bag of veggie disgards I keep for broth, which was onion, carrot, and parsley. Added some garlic, ginger, and salt, along with all the carcass and fat, and simmered overnight.

In the morning I cooked ginger in butter in the bottom of a pan, and added in some onions and powdered rosemary, cooked that down for a bit, then added carrots and celery cut on a bias (I think it looks prettier) and a diced onion. A few hours on the stovetop later, and wa-la. Yummy chicken soup for lunch.

That's what I've been up to the last few days. I've really started enjoying my time in the kitchen lately, and I'm working hard to get better at it. Been watching America's Test Kitchen videos, and in general being a huge nerd about food. I'll probably be around this thread for a bit.
:thumbup: Cooking is great (and even better if you're good at it). Cooking is never a chore to me, its always fun.

Oh, and not to stir the pot, but I worked as a cook at a few wing joints back in the day, and we used to throw onions in the freezer for 30 minutes or so to cut back the tears. Seemed to work pretty good, as long as you were quick and didn't let em sit out at all before slicing.

Odd.... I have never cried from onions. Can cut em all day... White... Yellow..... Red... Doesn't matter. Zero issues. So odd. Wonder why that is?

Edit: Google solved it: contact lenses!

proninja said:
E-Z Glider said:

I buy my onions at costco, and usually cut them all in bulk and freeze them for use later.
Never heard of anyone doing this before. Any issues? What's your process? Cut in half, place in ziploc and freeze?

proninja said:
The other night I did a sous vide roast at 145 for 48 hours, which was too long at that temp. I did one a few weeks ago at 145 for 24 hours, and the texture/moisture retention was much better.

And no, I don't always overcook my beef, but a big part of why I like roasts is because my wife has her hands full with work and a 7 month old, and the main reason I cook a lot now is so she has ready to eat meals when she needs them. Moving on.

Because the roast was so dry, I wanted to make a gravy. Fortunately, the vacuum sealer holds all the juices, which I had reserved. So I made a roux with bacon fat and spelt and whisked in the reserved cooking liquid. It came out pretty well, so I spent the next couple nights learning about roux and the mother sauces. Hooray for youtube videos. I make a shallot/wine/cream reduction sauce for salmon - which I'm doing again for friends on Thursday - and I'm looking forward to using a roux to thicken that up too. I think it'll help a lot.

I served the roast with the gravy, the same beans from the flank steak meal, as well as carrots cooked in ginger and butter. I cooked the ginger down in the butter at first, then added the carrots in a cast iron skillet. Big fan.
I've had lamb chops sous vide to a rare-medium rare. Fantastic

When I cook tomato sauce and or stock (beef or chicken), I cooked in bulk and then freeze.

I took out portions of both tonight and did the following simple recipe:

1) mixed the stock and sauce on the stove top and added some crushed red pepper

2) saute red and green chopped bell peppers, and baby bella mushrooms

3) add mushrooms and peppers to sauce and mix and then add to glass cooking tray

4) cover tray loosely with foil and bake at 350 for about 1 hour

I am serving the sauce on some home made fettuccine I made the other day that has been drying.

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
proninja said:
NewlyRetired said:
When I cook tomato sauce and or stock (beef or chicken), I cooked in bulk and then freeze.

3) add mushrooms and peppers to sauce and mix and then add to glass cooking tray

I am serving the sauce on some home made fettuccine I made the other day that has been drying.
How do you freeze in individual portions? I used to freeze in a muffin tin then move from muffin tin to ziploc freezer bag, but that's kind of a pain in the rear.
I store in plastic containers.

For sauce I use 32 oz plastic ricotta/yogurt containers. http://darlenemichaud.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/dragone-ricotta-shaws.png

For stock I use 15 oz plastic margarine containers https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2368/2383258186_d7023788c1.jpg

proninja said:
proninja said:
NewlyRetired said:

How do you freeze in individual portions? I used to freeze in a muffin tin then move from muffin tin to ziploc freezer bag, but that's kind of a pain in the rear.

For sauce I use 32 oz plastic ricotta/yogurt containers. http://darlenemichaud.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/dragone-ricotta-shaws.png

For stock I use 15 oz plastic margarine containers https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2368/2383258186_d7023788c1.jpg
Do you get those containers at cash and carry or some foodservice equivalent?
I just wash and save them after the margarine or ricotta is used up. They can last a long long time as storage containers.

proninja said:
NewlyRetired said:

Philistine

Tried something interesting today - One Pan Pasta

Thought the recipe came out decent, actually tastes better cold than hot IMO. But the interesting part was the process. I really like the texture of the noodles vs the "regular" way of cooking them. Also, I think it lends itself to make it really easy to experiment with all sorts of other noodle dishes....you can use what you have lying around the house and get pretty creative, quick and easy.

:shrug:

Thought the recipe came out decent, actually tastes better cold than hot IMO. But the interesting part was the process. I really like the texture of the noodles vs the "regular" way of cooking them. Also, I think it lends itself to make it really easy to experiment with all sorts of other noodle dishes....you can use what you have lying around the house and get pretty creative, quick and easy.

There is another recipe from in here somewhere that is very similar, the main difference is that it has sausage in with the pasta. The recipe calls for 'smoked Italian sausage', but I have not been able to find this in my grocery store, so I have gone with a smoked sausage like a kielbasa.

It is one of my go-to recipes nowadays, I usually make it once a month or so. The leftovers are nice too.

There is another recipe from in here somewhere that is very similar, the main difference is that it has sausage in with the pasta. The recipe calls for 'smoked Italian sausage', but I have not been able to find this in my grocery store, so I have gone with a smoked sausage like a kielbasa.

It is one of my go-to recipes nowadays, I usually make it once a month or so. The leftovers are nice too.
Yeah, that one looks good as well. :thumbup:

I like the look of that. I wonder if replacing the water with stock would add to it?

I like the look of that. I wonder if replacing the water with stock would add to it?
yeah if you read the comments, people played around with the recipe. Some used stock, some used a water/wine mixture, etc.

Made another batch of the grilled tomatoes and jalapeno salsa today with some sauteed red onion and garlic.

I am going to make some Mexican spiced scrambled eggs, add Monterrey jack cheese and serve with the salsa on tortillas.

Draft party at my house tonight, took the day off to get the food ready.Here's the menu:

5 racks of ribs of the BGE

Honey Orange BBQ Chicken, 8 lbs of drumsticks

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/patrick-and-gina-neely/honey-orange-bbq-chicken-recipe.html#communityReviews

Grilled Italian Sausages with peppers and onions with rolls

Grilled corn on the cob with garlic butter, lime and cotija cheese

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/grilled-corn-on-the-cob-with-garlic-butter-fresh-lime-and-cotija-cheese-recipe.html

Cole Slaw

Baked beans

Homemade guac and chips

Linked the recipes for the chicken and corn, done those a bunch of times and they are $$.

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
Made another batch of the grilled tomatoes and jalapeno salsa today with some sauteed red onion and garlic.

I am going to make some Mexican spiced scrambled eggs, add Monterrey jack cheese and serve with the salsa on tortillas.
i usually quarter the onions and just grill with the tomatoes and chilies

also re: eggs, i buy a pound of chorizo and then break it up into a bunch of single serving patties that i freeze, then when i want to make eggs / breakfast burritos i can thaw and fry the chorizo directly in the frying pan before adding the eggs

Users who are viewing this thread