What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (5 Viewers)

I walk up to you holding a sign that reads "I have COVID".  Then I proceed to spit directly towards your mouth.  Would you rather I have no mask, or something/anything in between my mouth and yours?
This seems like an effort to misrepesent the argument.

I do put masks at #3.  Just a distant #3.  If someone spits in your face, mask may or may not protect you
You responded with a non-sequitir. He asked if you would rather HE wear a mask before spitting at you  ... he didn’t ask if you thought YOU wearing a mask would protect you from his spit.

You responded with a non-sequitir. He asked if you would rather HE wear a mask before spitting at you  ... he didn’t ask if you thought YOU wearing a mask would protect you from his spit.
The argument that anyone would walk up and spit in my face seems a non sequitor?

If that is your fear.. don't go.  Wear a hazmat suit.

In many cases (not a minority) .. I certainly argue people's masks are useless.
A mask in of itself may be of questionable benefit if not worn correctly.  I don't think anyone doubts that.  The main benefit of a mask is that people don't touch their face as much which is a main, if not the main, source of transmission.

A mask in of itself may be of questionable benefit if not worn correctly.  I don't think anyone doubts that.  The main benefit of a mask is that people don't touch their face as much which is a main, if not the main, source of transmission.
If we agree that masks are of questionable benefit.. where distancing and hand washing are clear in their benefit - then we are splitting hairs.

I wear masks where I have to.  I don't where I don't.  When in places not required, I find it extremely easy to set expectations of distancing.  Dinners, lake houses, tubing, golf.  All easily and safely achieved without masks.  I even find it little trouble to keep my distance in grocery stores, but if that is not the case for you, sure wear a mask.  Preferable wear it correctly, and not the same mask everyday or even all day.

@Doug B

Do we agree on the order of things?

Distance > Hand Washing > Mask?
Venue-dependent, I think. The more room people have to spread out, the more face covering protocols can ease situationally.

I don’t agree with “distant third” for face coverings in most everyday indoor environments  like grocery stores ... I see it more as three legs of a stool. By contrast, three guys mopping an airplane hangar floor can do their jobs safely sans face coverings.

Venue-dependent, I think. The more room people have to spread out, the more face covering protocols can ease situationally.

I don’t agree with “distant third” for face coverings in most everyday indoor environments  like grocery stores ... I see it more as three legs of a stool. By contrast, three guys mopping an airplane hangar floor can do their jobs safely sans face coverings.
I see it more like a training wheel, learn to ride without it and completely unnecessary, but this is a reasonable disagreement.

Your post definitely reinforces the distancing as #1.

Last edited by a moderator:
If we agree that masks are of questionable benefit.. where distancing and hand washing are clear in their benefit - then we are splitting hairs.

I wear masks where I have to.  I don't where I don't.  When in places not required, I find it extremely easy to set expectations of distancing.  Dinners, lake houses, tubing, golf.  All easily and safely achieved without masks.  I even find it little trouble to keep my distance in grocery stores, but if that is not the case for you, sure wear a mask.  Preferable wear it correctly, and not the same mask everyday or even all day.
Of course distancing is the best method.  Can't catch it if there is nobody around you.

But for those in more populated areas, a mask can prevent the spread of the virus.  Not necessarily through the filtering of air, but by the reduced likelihood of people touching their face.

Now if you washed your hands before you touch your face, every single time, then a mask is rendered useless.  But the chances of that are next to nill.  

If wearing a mask reduces the touching of your face by say 50%, that is a significant benefit.  That's why wearing a comfortable mask is probably the most important thing so you are not constantly adjusting/touching it.

I made my mask out of a hefty bag.  I forgot to cut holes in it.  I suffocated and died.  Did my covering benefit me?  No.  Did it benefit others?  Yes.

I had no mask, so I grabbed a sheet of Bounty paper towel.  I had already used it to wipe down the counter, so it was wet.  I held it over my mouth and nose.  Did my paper towel benefit me? Probably not.  Did my paper towel benefit others?  Yes.

Is there a time where a face covering does not benefit OTHERS?

I made my mask out of a hefty bag.  I forgot to cut holes in it.  I suffocated and died.  Did my covering benefit me?  No.  Did it benefit others?  Yes.

I had no mask, so I grabbed a sheet of Bounty paper towel.  I had already used it to wipe down the counter, so it was wet.  I held it over my mouth and nose.  Did my paper towel benefit me? Probably not.  Did my paper towel benefit others?  Yes.

Is there a time where a face covering does not benefit OTHERS?
Can we stick to reasonable representations?

I mean if we are going to the most ridiculous imaginary spaces...  you win.  I can't think of a more obscure situation.

The hypothetical results from a resistance to address the actual.  I never suggested efficacy versus hypotheticals.
Then exchange his posited “spit in your mouth” for “COVID-laden breath aerosols from within three feet”. In a situation where you can’t get that six feet, you want that COVID carrier with an ear loop mask or something.

IMHO, that’s not a contrived situation to consider.

Then exchange his posited “spit in your mouth” for “COVID-laden breath aerosols from within three feet”. In a situation where you can’t get that six feet, you want that COVID carrier with an ear loop mask or something.

IMHO, that’s not a contrived situation to consider.
This seems to be an argument against masks at all.

Which is not my position.

I would revert, again, to distance.  How may places can you not remain 3 feet away?

Of course distancing is the best method.  Can't catch it if there is nobody around you.

But for those in more populated areas, a mask can prevent the spread of the virus.  Not necessarily through the filtering of air, but by the reduced likelihood of people touching their face.

Now if you washed your hands before you touch your face, every single time, then a mask is rendered useless.  But the chances of that are next to nill.  

If wearing a mask reduces the touching of your face by say 50%, that is a significant benefit.  That's why wearing a comfortable mask is probably the most important thing so you are not constantly adjusting/touching it.
masks don't stop people from touching their face. If anything, they cause you to touch your face MORE. Masks block the tiny moisture droplets from your mouth (which contain the virus) from spewing all over the air when you cough or sneeze or talk. 

Can we stick to reasonable representations?

I mean if we are going to the most ridiculous imaginary spaces...  you win.  I can't think of a more obscure situation.
OK, I will make it a very simple question then, without the fun of my stupid scenarios...

Can you think of a time where a face covering does not benefit others, versus not wearing one?

This seems to be an argument against masks at all.

Which is not my position.

I would revert, again, to distance.
Distance, when achievable, certainly does the job.

Consider that a lot of people can’t take consistent social distance for granted in their everyday activities.

OK, I will make it a very simple question then, without the fun of my stupid scenarios...

Can you think of a time where a face covering does not benefit others, versus not wearing one?
Sure.. the significant % of you not wearing it correctly.  Your neighbor made that mask?  Mouth covered not nose, taking it on and off, non fitted N95 (rigid one size does not fit all), scratching your nose grabbing your phone grabbing a milk carton and putting it back... dentist pooping on your chest.

Are you close enough to someone that the leakage from the mask (there is leakage) is a risk?

masks don't stop people from touching their face. If anything, they cause you to touch your face MORE. Masks block the tiny moisture droplets from your mouth (which contain the virus) from spewing all over the air when you cough or sneeze or talk. 
QFT   :goodposting:

Distance, when achievable, certainly does the job.

Consider that a lot of people can’t take consistent social distance for granted in their everyday activities.
It seems no matter where we go distance is a key part of our every day activities.  Signs all around us and stickers on the floor to guide us.

It seems no matter where we go distance is a key part of our every day activities.  Signs all around us and stickers on the floor to guide us.
Believe it or don’t — those signs and stickers aren’t failsafes. People’s experiences in other parts of the country differ from yours.

Believe it or don’t — those signs and stickers aren’t failsafes. People’s experiences in other parts of the country differ from yours.
Certainly, and if you find yourself in a position that you can't safely distance... wear a mask.

Better yet.. don't be in that position.

Sure.. the significant % of you not wearing it correctly.  Your neighbor made that mask?  Mouth covered not nose, taking it on and off, non fitted N95 (rigid one size does not fit all), scratching your nose grabbing your phone grabbing a milk carton and putting it back... dentist pooping on your chest.

Are you close enough to someone that the leakage from the mask (there is leakage) is a risk?
I think you missed my question.  It was, "Can you think of a time where a face covering does not benefit others, versus not wearing one?"

How would me not wearing my face covering correctly vs not wearing one at all make it worse for others?
How would me wearing a neighbor-made mask vs not wearing one at all make it worse for others?
How would me wearing my mask over my mouth but not nose vs not wearing one at all make it worse for others?
How would me taking my mask on and off vs not wearing one at all make it worse for others?
How would me wearing an ill-fitted N95 vs not wearing one at all make it worse for others?
How would me wearing a mask while scratching my nose, grabbing my phone, grabbing a milk carton and putting it back vs not wearing one at all make it worse for others?
How would me, while wearing a mask and getting pooped on by my dentist vs not wearing one at all make it worse for others?

You seem to be missing the word OTHERS.  Literally anything is better than nothing when it comes to face coverings, for the other person.  Except maybe a fan attached to my face covering that points directly at them

Most people really have a hard time assuming they are asymptomatic covid carriers.

They probably also believe there are 10 times more cases that are undocumented than documented. 

I don't feel like going through this entire thread.  Has any FBGer tested positive?  Not a friend or relative, but you?  If so, can you share your experience?

I think you missed my question.  It was, "Can you think of a time where a face covering does not benefit others, versus not wearing one?"

How would me not wearing my face covering correctly vs not wearing one at all make it worse for others?
How would me wearing a neighbor-made mask vs not wearing one at all make it worse for others?
How would me wearing my mask over my mouth but not nose vs not wearing one at all make it worse for others?
How would me taking my mask on and off vs not wearing one at all make it worse for others?
How would me wearing an ill-fitted N95 vs not wearing one at all make it worse for others?
How would me wearing a mask while scratching my nose, grabbing my phone, grabbing a milk carton and putting it back vs not wearing one at all make it worse for others?
How would me, while wearing a mask and getting pooped on by my dentist vs not wearing one at all make it worse for others?

You seem to be missing the word OTHERS.  Literally anything is better than nothing when it comes to face coverings, for the other person.  Except maybe a fan attached to my face covering that points directly at them
Face coverings do benefit others but not the wearer.   If you want to protect yourself when social distancing is not possible, you must wear a N95 properly.   As others pointed out, the problem with wearing any mask is that you will touch your face more or touch the mask which then touches your face.   Everyone needs to maintain distance and wear a face covering when distance isn’t possible to slow this thing.   Washing hands properly and often is a must.   We touch more things than we think.   

Face coverings do benefit others but not the wearer.   If you want to protect yourself when social distancing is not possible, you must wear a N95 properly.   As others pointed out, the problem with wearing any mask is that you will touch your face more or touch the mask which then touches your face.   Everyone needs to maintain distance and wear a face covering when distance isn’t possible to slow this thing.   Washing hands properly and often is a must.   We touch more things than we think.   
Thank you.  That was entirely my point.  I don't care what type of covering you have - anything is better than nothing when it comes to benefiting others.  Now, if we start talking about the covering benefiting the wearer, it's an entirely different conversation.  But I can't think of a single reason why a covering vs not wearing one is a bad idea, as far as "the other person" is concerned.

I have given them so many times.

I realize I am drowned out by the conditioned response at this point.

Point blank... the mask you are wearing is questionable efficacy wise even assuming you are wearing it right.  And then assuming you switch it out often enough to not become worse than not wearing a mask at all.  The masks with proven efficacy (N95) require a fit test that you haven't done, and that a very significant % of people fail (one size doesn't fit all).  I know a couple people that don't have to lie to pass this test.

We switch out our masks between every patient.  How many of you are switching them out even on a daily basis?
Well then why are governments and major health organizations all across the world encouraging people to wear masks?

Even lighter cloth ones that you say people probably aren't wearing right and are largely ineffective. 

Are you suggesting that the vast majority of these governments and major health organizations all across the world are WRONG?

Seriously?

Just admit it...masks help slow this thing down. Sure, it's not the ultimate solution to this crisis but it helps. 

Didn’t we talk about this early on in this thread. We have literally covered every topic in here on this virus. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/26/health/coronavirus-immune-system.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage
Yeah, Chet is all over this. His company’s drug targets a receptor on white blood cells, CCR5, that happens to be a coreceptor for HIV. CCR5 also binds inflammatory cytokines, including something called RANTES that is overproduced in severe COVID.

FWIW, Stanford’s researchers actually say the opposite; that wearing a mask is actually a reminder to people to not be touching their face and that folks wearing masks actually touch their face LESS than non-mask wearers.

They also seem to indicate that wearing a mask makes a pretty big difference (yes, even a cloth mask) in source control. It is true though that is is more about source control than self-protection for cloth masks. It’s why it’s so vitally important for EVERYONE to be wearing masks, not just people that think they’re sick or people who feel like it.

Sheriff's near my hometown in NC went ahead and told the public they wouldn't enforce the states mask order that started yesterday.

This is ridiculous. Not because I expect law enforcement to enforce this on a large scale. None are that I know of. My state (VA) has had a mask order for over a month. Despite the screams of tyranny, nobody's getting freaking arrested for not wearing a mask to Home Depot.

It's ridiculous because it's a stupid political stunt to announce it, and it will obviously lead to fewer people wearing mask. 

From the CDC:

Everyone Should

Cover your mouth and nose with a cloth face cover when around others

- You could spread COVID-19 to others even if you do not feel sick.

- Everyone should wear a cloth face cover when they have to go out in public, for example to the grocery store or to pick up other necessities.

- Cloth face coverings should not be placed on young children under age 2, anyone who has trouble breathing, or is unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance.

- The cloth face cover is meant to protect other people in case you are infected.

- Do NOT use a facemask meant for a healthcare worker.

- Continue to keep about 6 feet between yourself and others. The cloth face cover is not a substitute for social distancing.

I know this is obvious to everyone. Well, nearly everyone. But I just post it in the hopes that folks will quit feeding the troll who continues to argue his anecdotal arguments ad nauseam despite well published evidence from credible sources to the contrary. It would be nice if we could get the thread back on track rather than letting a small handful of posters continue to derail the thread for their own apparent amusement.

Thanks.

Looking out at mostly anecdotal sources around the US we seem to be beating back death with convy plasma.  

Whether you think the data is bad or not the death rates at all age levels are coming down sharply.  

That #### might just work.  

Sheriff's near my hometown in NC went ahead and told the public they wouldn't enforce the states mask order that started yesterday.

This is ridiculous. Not because I expect law enforcement to enforce this on a large scale. None are that I know of. My state (VA) has had a mask order for over a month. Despite the screams of tyranny, nobody's getting freaking arrested for not wearing a mask to Home Depot.

It's ridiculous because it's a stupid political stunt to announce it, and it will obviously lead to fewer people wearing mask. 
I wish they woulda left constitutional rights out of this.  Other than that, and openly announcing they will not enforce the mandate, I agree.  Mark my words - a law enforcement officer trying to enforce the mask mandate will end up as a viral video and lose his/her job.  Imagine losing your career trying to tell some moron to wear a mask in a grocery store.

Looking out at mostly anecdotal sources around the US we seem to be beating back death with convy plasma.  

Whether you think the data is bad or not the death rates at all age levels are coming down sharply.  

There’s a reason deaths are coming down now, and that they will go up very soon.  

June 7-9 we had 3 straight days of sub 20k cases in the USA despite the best testing the country had ever done. The virus itself was on the downswing at that time, which is why deaths have been on a continual downswing.  (That appears to have leveled off)

Since then, the virus numbers have started rising and have gone exponential in the last week.

Hospitalizations will be the story starting anytime now. Deaths will be the story in a couple weeks.

I wish they woulda left constitutional rights out of this.  Other than that, and openly announcing they will not enforce the mandate, I agree.  Mark my words - a law enforcement officer trying to enforce the mask mandate will end up as a viral video and lose his/her job.  Imagine losing your career trying to tell some moron to wear a mask in a grocery store.
It's one of those things where it's fairly obvious that cops aren't going to enforce this. They just can't on a large scale.

I'm just trying to rack my brain thinking of other times where cops or government employees make it a point to announce what they won't/can't enforce (and there are many of those things). 

Maybe the Sheriff should also put out a statement reminding men that if they get paid in cash and/or switch jobs a lot they can get out of a lot of their child support. And remember fellas, if it comes to it, she's probably not going to throw you in jail because the kids would never forgive her and you can't make money in jail!

It's one of those things where it's fairly obvious that cops aren't going to enforce this. They just can't on a large scale.

I'm just trying to rack my brain thinking of other times where cops or government employees make it a point to announce what they won't/can't enforce (and there are many of those things). 

Maybe the Sheriff should also put out a statement reminding men that if they get paid in cash and/or switch jobs a lot they can get out of a lot of their child support. And remember fellas, if it comes to it, she's probably not going to throw you in jail because the kids would never forgive her and you can't make money in jail!
Have you forgotten about sanctuary cities? 

San Antonio has been pleading for those with anti-bodies to donate.They just can't get enough. The fact that folks working at the donation centers have had some positive cases probably doesn't help the cause. I'm fairly certain that lack of overall donations is one of the reasons they stopped elective surgeries also. There simply isn't enough stock on hand right now for surgeries that can safely be delayed.

Users who are viewing this thread