What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**** Official Dolphins 2013 Thread **** (2 Viewers)

WOW - I thought I was all doom & gloom - until you read MOP's posts.

Thsi just in . . .

Kruger to the Browns

Wallace to the Dolphins

Revis traded for a 2nd rounder - LIONS !! (Dolphin board RUMOR)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont care about the price - this is fantastic news. Props to the FO. We're 30+ Million under the cap and need to be start spending money on players, even if it means taking a risk. I like Joe Philbin, and hes now arming the team with players who he feels will best fit this offense and it starts with Wallace. I see a pass-catching TE being added in the next few days (hopefully Cook) and one more WR in the first two rounds of the draft. This is a plan I can get behind.

Also, FWIW, the Hartline deal is very cap friendly, contrary to initial reports, as $18M of the $30M is NOT guaranteed over the final three years. To put things into perspective, hes the 14th most expensive player on the team from a cap perspective this year.

Dont care about the price - this is fantastic news. Props to the FO. We're 30+ Million under the cap and need to be start spending money on players, even if it means taking a risk. I like Joe Philbin, and hes now arming the team with players who he feels will best fit this offense and it starts with Wallace. I see a pass-catching TE being added in the next few days (hopefully Cook) and one more WR in the first two rounds of the draft. This is a plan I can get behind. Also, FWIW, the Hartline deal is very cap friendly, contrary to initial reports, as $18M of the $30M is NOT guaranteed over the final three years. To put things into perspective, hes the 14th most expensive player on the team from a cap perspective this year.
:goodposting: Looks like Cook is gone - wonder who they will target for TE?

Aaron Wilson @RavensInsider

Ravens linebacker Dannell Ellerbe reaches agreement in principle with Miami Dolphins, per a league source with knowledge of deal

9:43 PM - 12 Mar 13

:pickle:

9 mins Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider

This could have negative effect on Karlos Dansby, I'm told. Fluid situation

Expand

Wow. Wondering if its a trade or an outright release. He has a huge cap number but played well last year.

Busy busy. Miami resigns S Chris Clemons to a one year deal. ~100 tackles and two INT's last year and paired well with Reshad Jones.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/dolphins-blog/sfl-miami-dolphins-have-resigned-chris-clemons-20130312,0,5680479.story

By Omar Kelly

Sun Sentinel

5:43 p.m. EDT, March 12, 2013

The Miami Dolphins have re-signed starting free safety Chris Clemons to a one-year deal, according to league sources.

Clemons, the team's 2009 fifth-round pick, started 32 games in the four season he played for the Dolphins.

The former Clemson standout had his most productive season as a starting free agent in 2012, contributing 98 tackles and two interceptions in his first year being paired with strong safety Reshad Jones.

Clemons becomes the fourth Dolphins player the team has re-signed this offseason. Receiver Brian Hartline and backup quarterback Matt Moore re-signed last week, and defensive tackle Randy Starks had the franchise tag placed on him.

The terms of Clemons' deal were not disclosed, but entering Tuesday's start of free agency the Dolphins had $31 million to spend on free agents and the 2013 draft class.

Aaron Wilson @RavensInsiderRavens linebacker Dannell Ellerbe reaches agreement in principle with Miami Dolphins, per a league source with knowledge of deal9:43 PM - 12 Mar 13:pickle:
Wow, I didn't expect that. Any idea what kind of cap hit that is going to be?

Dolphins still have a TON of money left.

Ben Volin ‏@BenVolinPBP

Guessing Ellerbe has a cap number around $3 million and Wallace around $7-8 million for this season. Dolphins have $33m after cutting Dansby

And yet Miami fans want to act like this is the 2nd coming of Christ. I really am not very impressed with this. I would much rather have the skills of a Brandon Marshall...that's right we traded him for 2 3rds...I'm sure those guys will more then compensate. If they were gonna re-create what they had in GB, wouldn't it make more sense for them to try and pay about $5m-$7m a slot across and go 4-5 deep plus the TE position? I guess I would rather have a bunch of No 2s instead of one 2 and a few 3s which is what we are collecting. Wallace has speed but he runs terrible routes IMO and also a lot of Steeler fans, beat writers, etc...he really is not a true No 1 WR.

I know I'm always the wet blanket for Phinsfans but honestly I'm just trying to keep it real. You all love to spin it as many ways as you can but I have not wavered since this thing really came off the tracks as we bottomed out at 1-15. I don't think many of us were fooled by the 2008 season but I think many of us saw Jake Long and that plan with Sporano and Parcells was gonna be a commitment to the running game and sound defense. That was the plan, so i kind of get why Philbin might want to change everything. I just fail to see how keeping Jake Long would hurt, by far the best LT we had since Richmond Webb and I remember many solid if not great years and he was a pillar at the position for 10 years.

So now we bring in new weapons, the OL takes a major hit or molting into what suits Philbin...what happens when Philbin and Ireland are gone in the next 2-3 years? I guess we just flush everyone again and start over? Seems the good teams are not in a constant flux with their personnel, coaches, front office. The Phins are their own worst enemy.
Here's some info I found regarding Wallace:Wallace’s best season in the league, 2010, came when Roethlisberger was at his best in down-field accuracy. That season, Roethlisberger was seventh in the league in completion percentage on passes over 20 yards at 46.3 percent, according to Pro Football Focus. Wallace was ninth in the league on deep passing catch rate at 48.3 percent. In 2011 that number dropped to 41.7 percent and in 2012 it dropped further to 19.4 percent — 54th in the league and seventh worst.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2013/03/mike-wallace-not-worth-hefty-13-million-price-tag-despite-speed-playmaking-ability/

link

Dont care about the price - this is fantastic news. Props to the FO. We're 30+ Million under the cap and need to be start spending money on players, even if it means taking a risk. I like Joe Philbin, and hes now arming the team with players who he feels will best fit this offense and it starts with Wallace. I see a pass-catching TE being added in the next few days (hopefully Cook) and one more WR in the first two rounds of the draft. This is a plan I can get behind. Also, FWIW, the Hartline deal is very cap friendly, contrary to initial reports, as $18M of the $30M is NOT guaranteed over the final three years. To put things into perspective, hes the 14th most expensive player on the team from a cap perspective this year.
:goodposting: Looks like Cook is gone - wonder who they will target for TE?
Dustin Keller?

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk

Phillip Wheeler agrees to terms with Dolphins, per league source

Goodbye old slow LB's . . . Dansby already cut. Burnett next?

Love this move

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk Phillip Wheeler agrees to terms with Dolphins, per league source Goodbye old slow LB's . . . Dansby already cut. Burnett next?Love this move
You called it. Pro Football Focus ‏@PFFDolphins defense getting more aggressive. Picked up two of the better blitzing linebackers in the league. Really attack QB with intentLast year they switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3 but they didnt have the players that fit the system. Wheeler and Ellerbe seem like thell provide more speed to a three man LB core. We basically used the money saved by cutting Dansby and Burnett by signing two younger, faster players. Big fan of everything that transpired today.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk Phillip Wheeler agrees to terms with Dolphins, per league source Goodbye old slow LB's . . . Dansby already cut. Burnett next?Love this move
You called it. Pro Football Focus ‏@PFFDolphins defense getting more aggressive. Picked up two of the better blitzing linebackers in the league. Really attack QB with intentLast year they switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3 but they didnt have the players that fit the system. Wheeler and Ellerbe seem like thell provide more speed to a three man LB core. We basically used the money saved by cutting Dansby and Burnett by signing two younger, faster players. Big fan of everything that transpired today.
Agree 100 percent

Agree 100 percent
As do I

Looking more and more like Xavier Rhodes is the target at 12. Wont be a WR, and clearly wont be an ILB. I assume that signing Clemons all but rules out Kenny Vacaro. Doubt there will be a LT left that is worth drafting at 12, and its too early to take a TE. Could take a DE - there are a lot of good ones at the top of the draft. Olivier Vernon could be the guy though. Certainly showed flashes last year. Unless we sign a couple CBs, I think they almost have to look for one at 12.

I have a feeling they are going to sign Fred Davis on the cheap. He fits the bill for what they are looking for. A young dynamic pass-catching TE. The injury last year is a concern for sure, but it will keep his cost down making him a potential bargain. Dustin Keller would be nice too. Maybe Brandon Myers. Hoping they can address this in FA, as they still have plenty of cash available. Look for OT, CB, and DE in the draft.

Looking more and more like Xavier Rhodes is the target at 12. Wont be a WR, and clearly wont be an ILB. I assume that signing Clemons all but rules out Kenny Vacaro. Doubt there will be a LT left that is worth drafting at 12, and its too early to take a TE. Could take a DE - there are a lot of good ones at the top of the draft. Olivier Vernon could be the guy though. Certainly showed flashes last year. Unless we sign a couple CBs, I think they almost have to look for one at 12.I have a feeling they are going to sign Fred Davis on the cheap. He fits the bill for what they are looking for. A young dynamic pass-catching TE. The injury last year is a concern for sure, but it will keep his cost down making him a potential bargain. Dustin Keller would be nice too. Maybe Brandon Myers. Hoping they can address this in FA, as they still have plenty of cash available. Look for OT, CB, and DE in the draft.
Keep in mind there are Still lots of top flight DBs on the market so they may go the FA route to fill at least one of those gaps. I can see them drafting a DB, but not in the fist round...Like you, I also hope they sign a FA TE like Davis or Keller as I dont want to see a high pick spent on a Tight End. Would much rather that we use our first and second round picks to bolster our offensive line and WR's (Tavon Austin or Coradelle?).

Ireland definitely had a plan. This offseason has a weird feel, like it's an extension of last season. Marshall, Long, Bush, Smith, Davis all gone. We're pruning most of the bigger names, anyone who could have an "I've been around longer than you and I'll probably be here after you're fired" sort of attitude (no actual knowledge to back it up, just mostly speculation). The same way Parcells got rid of Taylor/Thomas when he came in, he didn't want any old vets competing with his authority ... everyone had to know he was the top dog and this feels like an extension of that mindset, which was started last season. Remember last season when players were criticizing the Ochocinco move? Remember part of that solution was the "leadership council" ... Bush, Long and Dansby were the names attached to that council in the media and they're all gone now, I think the general message was "we need to be more involved in the leadership of this team" and now Ireland/Philbin have clearly sent a message that, while it was too late to act on last season, that they're not interested in players challenging their leadership. I think this offseason is a power move for Ireland/Philbin, it could be brilliant, they could be getting rid of people who were too comfortable losing and dragging the team down, people who didn't buy in all the way, people who challenged their authority. They'll end up with a team who is mostly there because they've either bought into Ireland/Philbin's philosophy without any challenges or they've specifically been brought in by this regime. We'll see what happens, this is either completely brilliant or they've picked the wrong replacement players and they'll be run out of town within the next year or two. I'm hoping it's the brilliant one and in the future we're talking about the guts and instincts that these "addition by subtraction" moves required and how they were instrumental in turning the culture around in Miami.

Reading that they still have $20M under the cap. Roughly $9M needed for draft picks, practice squad, and in-season moves. That leaves $9M to spend still, before they cut Dimitri Patterson and Richard Marshall (potentially). Still plenty of money to use to shore up at least 2 out of TE, CB and OL, if not all 3. Then, use the draft to make selections based upon best player available rather than desperate need.

Reading that they still have $20M under the cap. Roughly $9M needed for draft picks, practice squad, and in-season moves. That leaves $9M to spend still, before they cut Dimitri Patterson and Richard Marshall (potentially). Still plenty of money to use to shore up at least 2 out of TE, CB and OL, if not all 3. Then, use the draft to make selections based upon best player available rather than desperate need.
Stick to getting knocked out, Chuck.

Dont care about the price - We're 30+ Million under the cap and need to be start spending money on players
Hard time wrapping my head around this. In 2008 they spent big money in FA on Dansby. $40m+...now they have some FA money and what do they do? $35m/5 yrs on another MLB, Wheeler for another $26m coming off a career year with his 2nd team since joining the NFL...Seems like a position you could draft from with 10 in the draft and vets already at the positions who could definitely play another season. So this is the 2nd rebuild under Jeff Ireland. 1st we did it after going 1-15 in 2007, we drafted Jake Long at the #1 overall spot and built the team out from there for better or worse, initially it looked good but then things fell apart and now the 5 picks int he 1st and 2nd round from 2008 and 2009 are all gone it seems. We spent money on big contracts with Dansby and then Brandon Marshall. Now those guys are gone and we have had to replace them again. Our LT seems to be on his way out of town, reports we are going to draft an OT at #12, seems like a repeat of 2008 with Long. History repeats, Ireland and his signings to this point have not worked out well and as 5 years in the GM role we are still rebuilding, in fact this is the 2nd rebuild phase. Some of the other top picks from the last 3 seasons would include Jared Odrick(OK), Koa Misi(doubt he will be here much longer), Mike Pouncey, Daniel Thomas(Puke), Ryan Tannehill, there would be others but I think we blew those getting Brandon Marshall who is no longer here. Do you Phinfans hold Jeff Ireland responsible at all? For anything? I know it feels good and all belly aching aside I am interested to see what Wallace might add to this offense. But I also live down here in South Florida and the Phins are trying to get the local community to pitch in tax dollars to give a facelift to JRS. The Wallace signing feels like they are trying to make the Phins more exciting, that's all good but again I am 38 yrs old now, oh god is it moving by fast...but I'm starting to think I'll never see the Phins win a Super Bowl in my life and if they couldn't do it with Marino, probably not gonna happen unless they somehow have a HoF QB fall in their lap again.

'flapgreen said:
'ChuckLiddell said:
Stick to getting knocked out, Chuck.
As a fan of this team, I kind of feel like I do get knocked out on most Sundays in the fall.

'Ministry of Pain said:
'Native said:
Dont care about the price - We're 30+ Million under the cap and need to be start spending money on players
Hard time wrapping my head around this. In 2008 they spent big money in FA on Dansby. $40m+...now they have some FA money and what do they do? $35m/5 yrs on another MLB, Wheeler for another $26m coming off a career year with his 2nd team since joining the NFL...Seems like a position you could draft from with 10 in the draft and vets already at the positions who could definitely play another season. So this is the 2nd rebuild under Jeff Ireland. 1st we did it after going 1-15 in 2007, we drafted Jake Long at the #1 overall spot and built the team out from there for better or worse, initially it looked good but then things fell apart and now the 5 picks int he 1st and 2nd round from 2008 and 2009 are all gone it seems. We spent money on big contracts with Dansby and then Brandon Marshall. Now those guys are gone and we have had to replace them again. Our LT seems to be on his way out of town, reports we are going to draft an OT at #12, seems like a repeat of 2008 with Long. History repeats, Ireland and his signings to this point have not worked out well and as 5 years in the GM role we are still rebuilding, in fact this is the 2nd rebuild phase. Some of the other top picks from the last 3 seasons would include Jared Odrick(OK), Koa Misi(doubt he will be here much longer), Mike Pouncey, Daniel Thomas(Puke), Ryan Tannehill, there would be others but I think we blew those getting Brandon Marshall who is no longer here. Do you Phinfans hold Jeff Ireland responsible at all? For anything? I know it feels good and all belly aching aside I am interested to see what Wallace might add to this offense. But I also live down here in South Florida and the Phins are trying to get the local community to pitch in tax dollars to give a facelift to JRS. The Wallace signing feels like they are trying to make the Phins more exciting, that's all good but again I am 38 yrs old now, oh god is it moving by fast...but I'm starting to think I'll never see the Phins win a Super Bowl in my life and if they couldn't do it with Marino, probably not gonna happen unless they somehow have a HoF QB fall in their lap again.
Heres how I look at it: We have $30M+ in money and 5 of the first 80 picks in the draft. And we just invested ina 22 year old QB to be our future leader. So yes, this is a rebuilding year. And from my end, things are looking up. Has it been tough to bear over the years? Absolutely? I think we can agree that we have a coach that we truly respect and admire and are now in a position to get him the players he needs to be competitive. Enjoy it man - weeks like this dont happen very often. :cool:

NFL.com reporting that NYJ TE Dustin Keller is scheduled to visit South Beach. I am liking the sound of this. Fills another hole pre-draft.

'Rooster said:
Ireland definitely had a plan. This offseason has a weird feel, like it's an extension of last season. Marshall, Long, Bush, Smith, Davis all gone. We're pruning most of the bigger names, anyone who could have an "I've been around longer than you and I'll probably be here after you're fired" sort of attitude (no actual knowledge to back it up, just mostly speculation). The same way Parcells got rid of Taylor/Thomas when he came in, he didn't want any old vets competing with his authority ... everyone had to know he was the top dog and this feels like an extension of that mindset, which was started last season. Remember last season when players were criticizing the Ochocinco move? Remember part of that solution was the "leadership council" ... Bush, Long and Dansby were the names attached to that council in the media and they're all gone now, I think the general message was "we need to be more involved in the leadership of this team" and now Ireland/Philbin have clearly sent a message that, while it was too late to act on last season, that they're not interested in players challenging their leadership. I think this offseason is a power move for Ireland/Philbin, it could be brilliant, they could be getting rid of people who were too comfortable losing and dragging the team down, people who didn't buy in all the way, people who challenged their authority. They'll end up with a team who is mostly there because they've either bought into Ireland/Philbin's philosophy without any challenges or they've specifically been brought in by this regime. We'll see what happens, this is either completely brilliant or they've picked the wrong replacement players and they'll be run out of town within the next year or two. I'm hoping it's the brilliant one and in the future we're talking about the guts and instincts that these "addition by subtraction" moves required and how they were instrumental in turning the culture around in Miami.
Good post. There is also the angle that some of these players didn't really fit into Philbin's system.

Thinking more, I really like the LB moves yesterday. I think it takes LB off the board for the first few picks. At the moment, it looks like Rhodes is the target with the 1st. Still hearing interest in Keller and Gibson, either would be good weapons. I would really like to grab a TE and OT in Free Agency instead of leaving it for the draft. Winston and Keller would cap off a great FA.

Biggest question mark is at RB to me. I think it is likely we see another 3rd or 4th rounder.

'Ministry of Pain said:
'Native said:
I am not an Ireland fan, but I am happy with his moves since Philbin came on board. He is clearly fighting for his job and isn't shy about making the bold moves to do so. I would rather him ditch players that have never reached their potential than pay them like they have just because he brought them in. For better or worse, the team drafted Tannehill and thinks he is a franchise QB. Like with the previous rebuild (Henne), the team will go as far as he can take them. Best case is for them to get the most talented players possible that fit Sherman's system NOW. Let's see what he can do.

South Florida Sun-Sentinel.comMike Wallace on Dolphins: 'They're headed in the right direction'By Chris PerkinsSouth Florida Sun Sentinel12:44 PM EDT, March 13, 2013Miami Dolphins wide receiver Mike Wallace, the most sought-after free agent on the market, had his sights sets on Miami for a few weeks.Wallace, the former Pittsburgh Steelers standout, said he watched film on the Dolphins, liked the system, and liked quarterback Ryan Tannehill. So in the end, although other teams pursued the fifth-year speedster, it was a relatively easy choice to sign with the Dolphins.“It wasn’t too agonizing,” Wallace said at Wednesday’s introductory press conference at the Dolphins’ facility.This seems to represent a change from previous years when it appeared players weren’t too excited about joining the Dolphins. Yes, it helps a player’s disposition when he’s awarded a five-year, $60 million contract with a $30 million signing bonus, which is what Wallace received.But Wallace hinted this signing goes way beyond money. He said he liked the vibe in the organization from general manager Jeff Ireland to coach Joe Philbin and the few players he’s met or spoken with over the phone.“This one just stood out to me,” Wallace said of the Dolphins’ organization. “I love being down south, I love everything that was going on here. I think they’re very competitive, headed in the right direction. Young team, second-youngest team in the league, actually, last year.“I think we can do some good things. I like coach Philbin. He’s a good guy. I like the offense, first and foremost.”Of course, Wallace, who has 235 receptions for 4,042 yards (17.2 yards per receptions) and 32 touchdowns in four seasons, won’t be catching passes from Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who throws one of the best deep balls in the NFL.But he doesn’t mind that too much.“It’s going to be different playing with a guy who is actually younger than me,” Wallace said.“Ben always treated me like his little brother. Actually being the big brother is going to be a little different. But I’m excited. I’m excited about the changes.”Wallace said he had dinner with Tannehill Tuesday night. He wasn’t sure where, but it was apparently on the water.“I know they had boats and stuff,” Wallace said with a smile. “I don’t really know too much about where we go. I just get out of the car, get in and get out. I just know they had a lot of boats. Big boats.”And Wallace seemed to like what he heard and saw from Tannehill.“This guy has a lot of upside,” he said. “I know that for sure.”Wallace said he also spoke with fellow wide receiver Brian Hartline via telephone.Interestingly, Wallace and Tannehill wear the same jersey number – 17. Wallace said they didn’t discuss that aspect of being teammates.“If he wants it, he keeps it,” Wallace said. “If not, I’ll take it.”Wallace also finds himself in the unusual position of being teammates with a heated rival, former Baltimore linebacker Dannelle Ellerbe, who is now a member of the Dolphins.“We don’t have choice but to get along now, but I don’t like too much those guys where he comes from,” Wallace said. “But we’re on the same team now so I’m excited.”Wallace said he thinks the Dolphins are a “competitive team” and he said he thinks they’ll be in playoff contention.“I don’t feel like this was a team that was 7-9 in a bad way,” he said of Miami’s record last season. “I feel it was all hard-fought games. Some of them get away from you sometimes.”As for the whirlwind venture through free agency, Wallace said he’s still trying to get a handle on things.“It feels crazy,” he said. “It feels like a dream.”And he has confidence in general manager Jeff Ireland, Philbin and his new teammates.“I like the direction the team is going in,” Wallace said. It’s a good one, and I’m excited about it.”Copyright © 2013, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
:thumbup:

South Florida Sun-Sentinel.comMike Wallace on Dolphins: 'They're headed in the right direction'By Chris PerkinsSouth Florida Sun Sentinel12:44 PM EDT, March 13, 2013Miami Dolphins wide receiver Mike Wallace, the most sought-after free agent on the market, had his sights sets on Miami for a few weeks.Wallace, the former Pittsburgh Steelers standout, said he watched film on the Dolphins, liked the system, and liked quarterback Ryan Tannehill. So in the end, although other teams pursued the fifth-year speedster, it was a relatively easy choice to sign with the Dolphins.“It wasn’t too agonizing,” Wallace said at Wednesday’s introductory press conference at the Dolphins’ facility.This seems to represent a change from previous years when it appeared players weren’t too excited about joining the Dolphins. Yes, it helps a player’s disposition when he’s awarded a five-year, $60 million contract with a $30 million signing bonus, which is what Wallace received.But Wallace hinted this signing goes way beyond money. He said he liked the vibe in the organization from general manager Jeff Ireland to coach Joe Philbin and the few players he’s met or spoken with over the phone.“This one just stood out to me,” Wallace said of the Dolphins’ organization. “I love being down south, I love everything that was going on here. I think they’re very competitive, headed in the right direction. Young team, second-youngest team in the league, actually, last year.“I think we can do some good things. I like coach Philbin. He’s a good guy. I like the offense, first and foremost.”Of course, Wallace, who has 235 receptions for 4,042 yards (17.2 yards per receptions) and 32 touchdowns in four seasons, won’t be catching passes from Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who throws one of the best deep balls in the NFL.But he doesn’t mind that too much.“It’s going to be different playing with a guy who is actually younger than me,” Wallace said.“Ben always treated me like his little brother. Actually being the big brother is going to be a little different. But I’m excited. I’m excited about the changes.”Wallace said he had dinner with Tannehill Tuesday night. He wasn’t sure where, but it was apparently on the water.“I know they had boats and stuff,” Wallace said with a smile. “I don’t really know too much about where we go. I just get out of the car, get in and get out. I just know they had a lot of boats. Big boats.”And Wallace seemed to like what he heard and saw from Tannehill.“This guy has a lot of upside,” he said. “I know that for sure.”Wallace said he also spoke with fellow wide receiver Brian Hartline via telephone.Interestingly, Wallace and Tannehill wear the same jersey number – 17. Wallace said they didn’t discuss that aspect of being teammates.“If he wants it, he keeps it,” Wallace said. “If not, I’ll take it.”Wallace also finds himself in the unusual position of being teammates with a heated rival, former Baltimore linebacker Dannelle Ellerbe, who is now a member of the Dolphins.“We don’t have choice but to get along now, but I don’t like too much those guys where he comes from,” Wallace said. “But we’re on the same team now so I’m excited.”Wallace said he thinks the Dolphins are a “competitive team” and he said he thinks they’ll be in playoff contention.“I don’t feel like this was a team that was 7-9 in a bad way,” he said of Miami’s record last season. “I feel it was all hard-fought games. Some of them get away from you sometimes.”As for the whirlwind venture through free agency, Wallace said he’s still trying to get a handle on things.“It feels crazy,” he said. “It feels like a dream.”And he has confidence in general manager Jeff Ireland, Philbin and his new teammates.“I like the direction the team is going in,” Wallace said. It’s a good one, and I’m excited about it.”Copyright © 2013, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
:thumbup:
But Wallace hinted this signing goes way beyond money. He said he liked the vibe in the organization from general manager Jeff Ireland to coach Joe Philbin and the few players he’s met or spoken with over the phone.Yeah whatever money grubbing cry baby.

1. So Miami only gave Dannell Ellerbe a $7M signing bonus? Thats a great deal for a player entering his prime. Not nearly as expensive as originally reported...

2. Dustin Keller had a physical today in Miami - lets hope he signs tonight/tomorrow. Hes fast and savvy and would look great in a Joe Philbin offense.

I have had a night to sleep on this and my MOPinion is well documented in this thread and throughout so I am going to stop posting Jeff Ireland's resume again and again. Let's deal with what we have.

Mike Wallace is going to open things up but I am afraid there is a big step down from a 2 time SB Champion QB to Tannehill, sorry but that has to be looked at. I also think the article Slap posted was excellent but read where Wallace says Ben was his big brother and now he has to be the big brother...that just doesn't sound good. I have high hopes but you also gotta be honest about things here.

Brian Hartline was signed for $6m a season, Wes Welker got $6m a season...that is pretty interesting.

The retooling of the LBs, Clemons is resigned, the front 7 should be as good if not better. Ellerbe gets to play behind Solia and Starks, that's gonna be a field day for him to run free and make tackles. The Safety spots look solid but Tampa Bay might have created a monster as they spent lavish on Gholston who is TNT on lighting folks up. I'm saying Miami is solid at the Safety spots, maybe a top 10 tandem in the works, very much swiss cheese at the corners until they are done in FA and the draft. The good news is Miami will be strong int he front 7, maybe the corners do not have to be all world on this defense if Miami can get to the QB with Wake and I assume the new LBs plus the draft will be geared towards getting to the QB. Miami upgraded on offense but also replenished the defense.

Dustin Keller...please please please, we have not had a strong TE(weapon) since Keith Jackson IMO. Keller is not in the same league but he would be a step in the right direction. I would like him about as much as Cook honestly.

Lamar Miller is gonna be the guy or Miami will be picking a RB in rounds 2, 3 or 4 to come in shoulder a sizable amount of the load. Daniel Thomas is DOA IMO.

I like what Wallace said about the team being in most games last year, he's right. If Miami can sign Winston although the money is starting to run out, but if they could do that plus Keller, you might think they would be looking 1st round DB but that guy I don't think will be there. Would anyone mind if they signed a TE and then drafted the kid from Notre Dame anyways and try to really strengthen that position? NE shows that 2 TEs can flourish in an offense.

Looks like the cap numbers for Wheeler and Wallace escalate significantly in year two. Wallace goes from about 3 million this year to over 17 next. Not sure what the Ellerbe one looks like. Next year looks like it will be interesting....

RT @NFLSTROUD: Expect DE Michael Bennett to become a Dolphin. The Bucs are committed to going with Bowers and Clayborn

6:40 PM - 14 Mar 13

Wake & Bennett

Sign me up !!

Looks like the cap numbers for Wheeler and Wallace escalate significantly in year two. Wallace goes from about 3 million this year to over 17 next. Not sure what the Ellerbe one looks like. Next year looks like it will be interesting....
$17M against next year's cap? That will kill us next year. Are you confident in these figures? Seems extremely irresponsible. At least on the surface.

$17M against next year's cap? That will kill us next year. Are you confident in these figures? Seems extremely irresponsible. At least on the surface.
Mike Wallace contract numbers interesting So Mike Wallace signed a five-year, $60 million deal, right? It had $30 million in guaranteed money, right?

Well, yes.

And no.

According to spotrac.com (very good website), records at the NFL Players Association and a source who has shared details with me, Wallace actually got $27 million in guaranteed money.

He got an $11 million signing bonus plus a guaranteed $1 million base salary in 2013. And his 2014 base salary of $15 million is guaranteed. That's $27 million guaranteed.

But the Dolphins also gave Wallace a $3 million guarantee if he's injured. That one only applies if the player's career ends and he cannot play out the final years of his deal.

So the agent can truthfully say it is a $30 million guarantee.

The beauty of the contract is Wallace's cap number is only $3.2 million in 2013. That's very, very low for a $60 million player.

The beast of the contract, however, is Wallace's cap number in 2014 shoots up to a whopping $17.2 million. That is the highest number of any NFL wide receiver save Larry Fitzgerald.

The numbers drop somewhat the following years. The 2015 base of $9,850,000 plus the $2,200,000 prorated signing bonus make the 2015 cap number a more managable $12.05 million. Interestingly, the base salary becomes completely guaranteed on the fifth day of the league year, according to spotrac.com

That means that if the Dolphins plan to keep Wallace that year, they simply do nothing. But if he has not lived up to his deal the previous two years and the team wants to cut ties, it will do so before that deadline.

Wallace's final two years -- 2016 and 2017 -- are mirror images financially. He's scheduled to earn $11,450,000 both years and cost $13,650,000 against the cap both years.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/#storylink=cpy

Evilgrin 72 did a good job explaining the deal in the Steelers thread . . ."Dolphins were very smart to structure the deal that way. They take a monster cap hit next year, but Tannehill is still on his rookie deal, so they can afford that. After 2 seasons, he can be cut for only a hit of about $7M if he's not producing. Much better than if they'd given him the guarantee as bonuses, then they'd have been on the hook for $6M x years remaining on the deal if they want to cut him."

Evilgrin 72 did a good job explaining the deal in the Steelers thread . . ."Dolphins were very smart to structure the deal that way. They take a monster cap hit next year, but Tannehill is still on his rookie deal, so they can afford that. After 2 seasons, he can be cut for only a hit of about $7M if he's not producing. Much better than if they'd given him the guarantee as bonuses, then they'd have been on the hook for $6M x years remaining on the deal if they want to cut him."
At the moment, Starks and Solia will free up a lot of space next year too. Also have heard speculation that the cap increase would be larger next year; it has been pretty flat the past 4.

Evilgrin 72 did a good job explaining the deal in the Steelers thread . . .

"Dolphins were very smart to structure the deal that way. They take a monster cap hit next year, but Tannehill is still on his rookie deal, so they can afford that. After 2 seasons, he can be cut for only a hit of about $7M if he's not producing. Much better than if they'd given him the guarantee as bonuses, then they'd have been on the hook for $6M x years remaining on the deal if they want to cut him."
The bolded is not something we have heard very often in the past 15 years. I had to read it twice before fully comprehending the meaning.

Love all the moves so far but have no interest in Gibson. Don't care what the advanced metrics say, I prefer what we have already: Wallace, Hartline, Bess, Mathews

ETA: along with whomever they draft - Woods?

Users who are viewing this thread