What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**** Official Dolphins 2013 Thread **** (1 Viewer)

'=Smackdown= said:
RT @NFLSTROUD: Expect DE Michael Bennett to become a Dolphin. The Bucs are committed to going with Bowers and Clayborn

6:40 PM - 14 Mar 13

Wake & Bennett

Sign me up !!
:thumbup: This plus the new LBs would make us very athletic in the front 7.
'Slapdash said:
'ChuckLiddell said:
'Slapdash said:
Looks like the cap numbers for Wheeler and Wallace escalate significantly in year two. Wallace goes from about 3 million this year to over 17 next. Not sure what the Ellerbe one looks like. Next year looks like it will be interesting....
$17M against next year's cap? That will kill us next year. Are you confident in these figures? Seems extremely irresponsible. At least on the surface.
Mike Wallace contract numbers interesting So Mike Wallace signed a five-year, $60 million deal, right? It had $30 million in guaranteed money, right?

Well, yes.

And no.

According to spotrac.com (very good website), records at the NFL Players Association and a source who has shared details with me, Wallace actually got $27 million in guaranteed money.

He got an $11 million signing bonus plus a guaranteed $1 million base salary in 2013. And his 2014 base salary of $15 million is guaranteed. That's $27 million guaranteed.

But the Dolphins also gave Wallace a $3 million guarantee if he's injured. That one only applies if the player's career ends and he cannot play out the final years of his deal.

So the agent can truthfully say it is a $30 million guarantee.

The beauty of the contract is Wallace's cap number is only $3.2 million in 2013. That's very, very low for a $60 million player.

The beast of the contract, however, is Wallace's cap number in 2014 shoots up to a whopping $17.2 million. That is the highest number of any NFL wide receiver save Larry Fitzgerald.

The numbers drop somewhat the following years. The 2015 base of $9,850,000 plus the $2,200,000 prorated signing bonus make the 2015 cap number a more managable $12.05 million. Interestingly, the base salary becomes completely guaranteed on the fifth day of the league year, according to spotrac.com

That means that if the Dolphins plan to keep Wallace that year, they simply do nothing. But if he has not lived up to his deal the previous two years and the team wants to cut ties, it will do so before that deadline.

Wallace's final two years -- 2016 and 2017 -- are mirror images financially. He's scheduled to earn $11,450,000 both years and cost $13,650,000 against the cap both years.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.t.../#storylink=cpy
Excellent post Slap, you have great news snippets you put in this thread, highly appreciated.
'ChuckLiddell said:
'=Smackdown= said:
Evilgrin 72 did a good job explaining the deal in the Steelers thread . . .

"Dolphins were very smart to structure the deal that way. They take a monster cap hit next year, but Tannehill is still on his rookie deal, so they can afford that. After 2 seasons, he can be cut for only a hit of about $7M if he's not producing. Much better than if they'd given him the guarantee as bonuses, then they'd have been on the hook for $6M x years remaining on the deal if they want to cut him."
The bolded is not something we have heard very often in the past 15 years. I had to read it twice before fully comprehending the meaning.
:lol:

Sounds like Keller is a Dolphin. I like this move a lot, always been impressed with Keller.

Also looks like they're still in the mix for Long.

Sounds like Keller is a Dolphin. I like this move a lot, always been impressed with Keller.

Also looks like they're still in the mix for Long.
:goodposting: I like that they got him on a 1 year deal. Impressive start to the off-season for Ireland & Co.

Also looks like Long is leaving St. Louis without a deal. :popcorn:

My link

MOP Gloom n Doom report brought to you by Fox...

Of the 75 free agent signings the Miami Dolphins have made in the last 10-12 years, how many of those 75 FA signings have gone on to make the Pro Bowl? Any guesses?

MOP Gloom n Doom report brought to you by Fox...Of the 75 free agent signings the Miami Dolphins have made in the last 10-12 years, how many of those 75 FA signings have gone on to make the Pro Bowl? Any guesses?
Serious question...Is getting to a pro-bowl a true/realistic measure of success for a FA signing? I'd imagine that most pro-bowl caliber players don't make it to free agency until after their 'most valuable' years.I don't expect Keller to make the pro bowl, but his signing could still nonetheless be very good for the team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keller plus Wallace and Hartline/Bess back in the cuts, plus whatever they might draft might mean decent days ahead for Tannehill. Tannehill should have no problem finding open receivers and don't forget about Charles Clay who should see an expanded role. Very interesting. Jake Long coming back to Miami to try and hammer something out, I love the off season if Long can somehow come back here.

MOP Gloom n Doom report brought to you by Fox...Of the 75 free agent signings the Miami Dolphins have made in the last 10-12 years, how many of those 75 FA signings have gone on to make the Pro Bowl? Any guesses?
Serious question...Is getting to a pro-bowl a true/realistic measure of success for a FA signing? I'd imagine that most pro-bowl caliber players don't make it to free agency until after their 'most valuable' years.I don't expect Keller to make the pro bowl, but his signing could still nonetheless be very good for the team.
And your guess please?

And your guess please?
Probably 0-2. Merely speculating that a FA signing can be deemed a success without that player making the pro-bowl.

Welcome aboard WR Brandon Gibson. Signed.

Tannehill has some nice new toys to work with next year.

They better build the secondary through the draft.

Welcome aboard WR Brandon Gibson. Signed.Tannehill has some nice new toys to work with next year.They better build the secondary through the draft.
Wonder if they will hold off on drafting a WR or cut Bess as a result. Much less a fan of this signing than the others, hopefully the contract isn't bad.

Welcome aboard WR Brandon Gibson. Signed.Tannehill has some nice new toys to work with next year.They better build the secondary through the draft.
Wonder if they will hold off on drafting a WR or cut Bess as a result. Much less a fan of this signing than the others, hopefully the contract isn't bad.
:goodposting: Not a Gibson fan. Hopefully, he'll prove me wrong. :excited: Salguero appears to believe Bess is staying, which is great news.

Was Jake Long worth 8.5 per for the next 4 years?

Dunno the answer to that but I hope they use that money to bring in another Tackle and CB via FA. Just please do not draft an Olineman with the #12 pick.

Was Jake Long worth 8.5 per for the next 4 years?Dunno the answer to that but I hope they use that money to bring in another Tackle and CB via FA. Just please do not draft an Olineman with the #12 pick.
That's exactly what Miami is going to do is go draft another OT to replace Jake Long. Miami franchises DTs like Starks and Soli plus they draft OL in the 1st...Long in 2008, Pouncey in 2011, Martin in 2012...they like to spend their money and draft picks on beef along the lines. Also want to point put to everyone how foolish Ireland is being with the money. He is on pace to be over the cap next season by some $35m+ and that is with some other guys who will be up for renewal. Mike Wallace is only counting $3m against the cap in 2013, think about that. Ireland is playing not to get fired and think about the mess if the Phins miss the playoffs and Ireland is fired. The next GM is gonna have a real mess on their hands.

Was Jake Long worth 8.5 per for the next 4 years?Dunno the answer to that but I hope they use that money to bring in another Tackle and CB via FA. Just please do not draft an Olineman with the #12 pick.
Sad to see him go, but I don't think he was worth that. Would have been nice to keep, but I'd guess Ireland is going to bring in another FA that is healthier. By the way, has anyone found information on the Gibson contract regarding dollars?

Sad to see him go, but I don't think he was worth that. Would have been nice to keep, but I'd guess Ireland is going to bring in another FA that is healthier. By the way, has anyone found information on the Gibson contract regarding dollars?
Cap hit of $500k in 2013 and $5m in 2014, that's basically the way the others are all structured. Didn't Enron cook their books this same way?

Cap hit of $500k in 2013 and $5m in 2014, that's basically the way the others are all structured. Didn't Enron cook their books this same way?
What is the third year/guarnteed money?

Sad to see Jake go, and wish him luck in STL. He and Wake are (were) my two favorite players on the team the past few years. I'm thinking that they saw Jake's decline in pass protection (he's still a stud run blocker IMO) and decided that he'd be a liability at that price, since it looks like the team is headed into a pass-first offense. He will do well in the Rams system I think.

Hate the Gibson signing. Not that I don't think we need depth at WR, but I was hoping they were looking at Austin at 12. I know it's not a popular opinion, and gives all Dolphin fans bad flashbacks of the Ginn debacle, but this kid is a difference maker. Teams who pass on him will be kicking themselves for a decade. This still can happen, but they'd need to sign a tackle and a corner for it to come to fruition.

Dan Le Batard, excellent coulmn in the Miami Herald, I'll post it here.

Dan Le Batard: It’s hard to feel good and trust Miami Dolphins when so many mistakes have been made

BY DAN LE BATARDDLEBATARD@MIAMIHERALD.COM

It is difficult to see things clearly in this purgatory. Your eyes are filled with the odd combination of hope and mistrust. A man betrays a woman for a decade, she’ll be armed with skepticism when he shows up with flowers and chocolates promising yet again to change. But here’s the thing: Dolphin fans want so badly to believe in this kind of romance, which made last week feel like wowing and wooing despite all the baggage and scars, and now anyone who cares about this team is stuck between wanting to think things are fixed and not trusting the people doing the fixing.

LITTLE HAPPINESS

Everyone loves hope, though no one more than the hopeless, so South Florida rewarded itself last week with a big burst of noisy and understandable joy. For one day at least, we won football, won free agency, won period, and it felt good to feel like winners, even if it was the wrong month for it. Here in the land of hangovers and foreclosures, we throw the big party first and ask the big questions later. So as Miami made it rain free agent millions, clapping and joyous, feeling reckless and high, it was hard to hear above the party favors and night-club din the lonely voices asking, “Um, what did we just do here?”

What the heck do you mean, “What did we just do here?” We just won the first day of free agency, that’s what we just bleeping did here, you jerk. Got one of the league’s fastest receivers at the team’s weakest position. Stole the young and menacing Ray Lewis replacement from the champions, producing not just hope but the second-best thing in sports (the surprise!).

START OF SOMETHING

And we got a Wheeler guy who sent us to Google to figure out what position he played. Yeah! Another linebacker! Yeah! In your face! Wait ... what? Did we need another linebacker?

Whatever. It felt like the start of something, a hope transfusion, a burst of fresh air and sunshine in a room filled with a decade of dark and damp. Never mind that only the bad teams ever win the first day of free agency. Never mind that all the good teams stayed out of football’s most expensive day and waited for the frenzied desperation to dilute. Just turn up that feel-good music, baby. #YOLO. We sang “I’m in Miami #####” as Bill Belichick and Tom Brady LMFAO’ed. We popped some bottles and free-agent ecstasy. We’ll worry about the bills later without worrying about being the Bills later.

The transaction seems to have usurped the action in sports because the promise of tomorrow can feel so much better than your team’s today, and the Dolphins won Transaction Day in America’s most popular sport. Purchasing hope will captivate a fan base enough to ignore that Redskins owner Daniel Synder has won this kind of day for a decade without winning much of anything else. It is instructive that the last time South Florida felt this way, at once excited but skeptical, was about ... the Marlins. But quit urinating on the parade, killjoy. Last time we felt this way before the Marlins was LeBron James, and that worked out OK.

WE DON’T KNOW

In football especially, talent evaluation is so subjective we really don’t have any idea if the Dolphins got better last week. We know they got different and younger. But better? It is impossible to know. And it is worth pointing out that all these exciting, new solutions came in just as all the expensive, old alleged solutions were leaving. If you distrust, it was like General Manager Jeff Ireland was playing one of those street-hustler shell games, moving pieces around so fast on a table, hoping to trick you into believing it was real magic instead of a con.

<br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; ">Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/03/17/3290436/dan-le-batard-it-is-hard-to-feel.html#storylink=cpy

The Dolphins got rid of Karlos Dansby, who was the five-year, $43 million answer in 2010, for Dannell Ellerbe, who is the new five-year, $35 million answer now. They swept out Kevin Burnett, a four-year, $20 million answer in 2011, for Philip Wheeler, the five-year, $26 million answer today. Two-year, $7.75 million solution Anthony Fasano is now replaced by the one-year, $4 million Dustin Keller today. Jake Long, Reggie Bush and Sean Smith were supposed to be multi-million-dollar solutions at their positions recently … until they weren’t.

“Not Wallace,” you yell above the celebratory night-club din. “Wallace wasn’t part of the in-and-out shell game.” Well, yes, he was. Only reason the Dolphins were so weak at that position and needed this five-year, $60 million infusion is because a year ago they traded the four-year, $47 million previous alleged answer named Brandon Marshall, who only went on to have 118 catches for 1,508 yards and 11 touchdowns last season — the kind of season Wallace has never had, in other words. The Dolphins spent two second-round picks to get Marshall, then traded him for two third-round picks. Maybe the new Dolphin helmet logo should be a hamster running on a wheel.

The upcoming draft should produce yet more hope trafficking, especially with Miami having more picks in the top 100 than any team in the league. But, outside of quarterback, you know what Miami’s biggest problem has been for a decade? That its three recent top 10 picks might not even be here any more if Long does indeed leave. You simply can’t miss like that high up, and get nothing in return, without knocking your franchise down.

BETTER PICKS

You take Ted Ginn in 2007 when the top 15 is filled with names like Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Patrick Willis and Darelle Revis. You get Ronnie Brown in 2005 as teams picking later in the round build around DeMarcus Ware, Aaron Rodgers and Roddy White. The Jake Long first round produced Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco. In other words, teams tend to get players who help them for a decade in the first round, especially high, but here Long, the No. 1 overall pick, might still leave in exchange for nothing after just four piddly years and zero playoff wins?

More to the point, Ray Lewis just got done giving the champion Ravens his 17th season after being drafted in the first round. Here’s all Miami has to show for all of its first rounds since the Ravens took Lewis: Jared Odrick, Mike Pouncey, Ryan Tannehill. Think about that. That’s 17 first rounds, and three remaining first-round players. Lewis outlasted most everyone in the league, yes, but the point is that the Ravens got a first-round pick who anchored their defense for almost two decades while the Dolphins might be about to give up altogether on a No. 1 overall pick from 2008.

Worse still, Miami has made 15 second- and third-round picks since 2007, producing all of three starters still on the team, two offensive lineman (John Jerry and Jonathan Martin) and one linebacker (Koa Misi). Over the same time, the Ravens had 10 second- and third-round picks as starters on last season’s championship roster (and three backups, plus seven of their first-round picks since the Lewis draft). Baltimore gets Ray Rice in the second round; Miami gets Pat White. This Ellerbe the Dolphins were so proud of stealing from Baltimore? An undrafted free agent.

So, if Long leaves, the Dolphins will be asking their only remaining top 10 pick, Ryan Tannehill, to close that gap and erase a decade of dysfunction even though no one can be quite positive if he’s even the answer yet.

Such an odd marriage, hope and mistrust.

Can somehow make the draft feel like the solution even though it has been the problem.

Full Story« Previous |1 | 2

<br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; ">Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/03/17/3290436_p2/dan-le-batard-it-is-hard-to-feel.html#storylink=cpy

My thoughts, I think we overpaid for Wallace but we likely had to overpay to get someone to come here. I'm happy they didn't also overpay for Long, if we can bring some comperable in (and I think when comparing the 2012 Jake Long you will find several out there) for 2 or 3 million a year less then that is a win. How I see it playing out, they need to have a good year this year and be the sexy team on the rise, then guys will be willing to redo deals and lower those cap numbers. But if they come out and go 7-9 and look sort of blah or Tannehill takes a step back then guys aren't going to redo deals and we'll be making a bunch of cuts in 2014 and 2015.

For discussion sake, here are the Dolphins picks in the Shark Pool Mock Draft:

1. Bjoern Werner - OLB - Florida St

2. Robert Woods, WR - USC

2. Robert Alford, CB - Southeastern Louisiana

3. Gavin Escobar, TE - San Diego St (traded back in the second for an extra 3rd)

3. Terron Armstead, OT - Arkansas Pine Bluff

3. Da'Rick Rogers WR - Tennessee Tech

I like the idea of taking 2 WRs in the early rounds. When the trade was made, Eifert was still out there for the first 2nd rounder. I think that has to be the play if he is on the table. Banks was also there and worthy of consideration. I doubt WRs will fall so much in the actual draft.
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea JackReacher has of Terron Armstead coming to Miami. Philbin is talking a lot about the importance of athletism on his offensive line:
(On his vision for the offensive line) – “Sound football. Good, fundamental, tough guys. Smart, work together as a unit well, stays on their feet, athletic. As opposed to other teams I would probably value athleticism more than just sheer power, strength and size. Obviously you can’t get pushed back and knocked back, but smart guys that can stay on their feet and come off the ball with some quickness. But it’s more than the individual. You can kind of see it on tape. You can see those five guys that operate and function together. Individually they may not be outstanding, but they work well together as a group.”

(On why athleticism is so important to him) – “I think part of it is because of the speed of the d-linemen and the athleticism of the defensive line and the movement post snap. It’s not so much people (staying) in one spot, so to handle defensive movement and planting and blitzing, you’ve got to have guys that can redirect. You have a better chance when you have better athletes that can stay on their feet against those types of moves.”

It is also Dannell Ellerbe's Twitter avatar. Pretty cool. https://twitter.com/ellerbe59#
Those are different logos. As far as I understand, the one GoFishTN linked to has been confirmed by sources within the organization and the one you linked to was a fan's reimagining of the logo. I personally like the one Ellerbe uses on twitter better. It keeps a lot of the structure from the existing one, but in a newer package. The confirmed leaked one is a bigger departure from tradition.

It is also Dannell Ellerbe's Twitter avatar. Pretty cool. https://twitter.com/ellerbe59#
Those are different logos. As far as I understand, the one GoFishTN linked to has been confirmed by sources within the organization and the one you linked to was a fan's reimagining of the logo. I personally like the one Ellerbe uses on twitter better. It keeps a lot of the structure from the existing one, but in a newer package. The confirmed leaked one is a bigger departure from tradition.
Nothing has been confirmed by the team - Mike Dee has repeatedly said the team will not reveal until late April

Yeah, the one Ellerbe is using is much better.

I like the upgrade in the logo. I kinda wish the helmets didn't have the Dolphin on it anymore though. The sun with a capital M in the middle would be very cool.

I have not met one single Miami fan down here in Miami that likes the new logo. It's even more (3 letter word) than the last time they altered the logo and got away from the 70s logo. And the dark teal/navy needs to go. They need to embrace a bright color combo like teal n orange if they want the fans to get excited. This team can't get out of its own way. Ross could get lost in a phone booth.

I notice those of you that don't live in Miami seem pretty disconnected form what is happening here. I really encourage you to try and listen to either 560 WQAM- 3:00 drive time Jeorge Sedano, doesn't sugar coat it. brandon Guzio in studio always ready to call it like it is. 790 The Ticket down here...940 WINZ as Jeff DeForest in the morning, also is not a lip service for the front office of the Dolphins.

I posted Lebatard's big article in the Herald, not one comment from any of you. What planet are you all living on? The team has now put themselves in a terrible spot for 2014 with contracts that explode against the cap next year. Clearly Ireland is trying to save his job at this point. All he has done is go and replace things that were already fixed prior...WR1, MLB, OLB, RT/LT/OL(Miami spent $150M on it when Parcells got here 5 yrs ago)...this is not new n fresh moves, these are the same things they did 4 and 5 years ago. And now we are gonna take an OT in the 1st round?

Wake up everyone

That new logo looks like something you might see at Sea World, just disgusting and only pushes me further away form this team. South Florida Shamus is the new name.

I have not met one single Miami fan down here in Miami that likes the new logo. It's even more (3 letter word) than the last time they altered the logo and got away from the 70s logo. And the dark teal/navy needs to go. They need to embrace a bright color combo like teal n orange if they want the fans to get excited. This team can't get out of its own way. Ross could get lost in a phone booth. I notice those of you that don't live in Miami seem pretty disconnected form what is happening here. I really encourage you to try and listen to either 560 WQAM- 3:00 drive time Jeorge Sedano, doesn't sugar coat it. brandon Guzio in studio always ready to call it like it is. 790 The Ticket down here...940 WINZ as Jeff DeForest in the morning, also is not a lip service for the front office of the Dolphins. I posted Lebatard's big article in the Herald, not one comment from any of you. What planet are you all living on? The team has now put themselves in a terrible spot for 2014 with contracts that explode against the cap next year. Clearly Ireland is trying to save his job at this point. All he has done is go and replace things that were already fixed prior...WR1, MLB, OLB, RT/LT/OL(Miami spent $150M on it when Parcells got here 5 yrs ago)...this is not new n fresh moves, these are the same things they did 4 and 5 years ago. And now we are gonna take an OT in the 1st round?Wake up everyone
I don't live in Miami, but hasn't the color always been aqua? Not teal. I'm more excited than I've been for years, as are the couple of Dolphins fans I know here in Charlotte. I read Lebatard's article and there didn't seem to be much there. Yes, the team is rebuilding from the Parcells debacle. Yes, this happens every few years. But it will continue to happen until the team gets on the right track. There is no logic in hanging on to underperforming players just because they had a high pedigree coming out of college. You can't win by keeping players around who have gotten used to losing. I like what Philbin is doing and like that the organization sees enough in Tannehill to go all in right now. I don't know if it will work. However, I don't see the use in poitning out bad picks that Saban, Cameron, and Parcells had.

I have not met one single Miami fan down here in Miami that likes the new logo. It's even more (3 letter word) than the last time they altered the logo and got away from the 70s logo. And the dark teal/navy needs to go. They need to embrace a bright color combo like teal n orange if they want the fans to get excited. This team can't get out of its own way. Ross could get lost in a phone booth. I notice those of you that don't live in Miami seem pretty disconnected form what is happening here. I really encourage you to try and listen to either 560 WQAM- 3:00 drive time Jeorge Sedano, doesn't sugar coat it. brandon Guzio in studio always ready to call it like it is. 790 The Ticket down here...940 WINZ as Jeff DeForest in the morning, also is not a lip service for the front office of the Dolphins. I posted Lebatard's big article in the Herald, not one comment from any of you. What planet are you all living on? The team has now put themselves in a terrible spot for 2014 with contracts that explode against the cap next year. Clearly Ireland is trying to save his job at this point. All he has done is go and replace things that were already fixed prior...WR1, MLB, OLB, RT/LT/OL(Miami spent $150M on it when Parcells got here 5 yrs ago)...this is not new n fresh moves, these are the same things they did 4 and 5 years ago. And now we are gonna take an OT in the 1st round?Wake up everyoneThat new logo looks like something you might see at Sea World, just disgusting and only pushes me further away form this team. South Florida Shamus is the new name.
I'm running out to dinner or I would give this a more thoughtful response. I will say you lose credibility when you cite Sedano and DeForest as sources. They know a lot less about football than anyone on these boards and their number one goal is to be negative. Positivity does not equal radio ratings.

I have not met one single Miami fan down here in Miami that likes the new logo. It's even more (3 letter word) than the last time they altered the logo and got away from the 70s logo. And the dark teal/navy needs to go. They need to embrace a bright color combo like teal n orange if they want the fans to get excited. This team can't get out of its own way. Ross could get lost in a phone booth. I notice those of you that don't live in Miami seem pretty disconnected form what is happening here. I really encourage you to try and listen to either 560 WQAM- 3:00 drive time Jeorge Sedano, doesn't sugar coat it. brandon Guzio in studio always ready to call it like it is. 790 The Ticket down here...940 WINZ as Jeff DeForest in the morning, also is not a lip service for the front office of the Dolphins. I posted Lebatard's big article in the Herald, not one comment from any of you. What planet are you all living on? The team has now put themselves in a terrible spot for 2014 with contracts that explode against the cap next year. Clearly Ireland is trying to save his job at this point. All he has done is go and replace things that were already fixed prior...WR1, MLB, OLB, RT/LT/OL(Miami spent $150M on it when Parcells got here 5 yrs ago)...this is not new n fresh moves, these are the same things they did 4 and 5 years ago. And now we are gonna take an OT in the 1st round?Wake up everyoneThat new logo looks like something you might see at Sea World, just disgusting and only pushes me further away form this team. South Florida Shamus is the new name.
Realistically, won't all of this be judged by what happens with Tannehill? Marshall, Long and Dansby were good players, but Henne didn't work out so it didn't matter. Why are people excited again? How is this time different? Well, we've got a different, offensive-minded coach who wasn't a big name retread, he was a successful coordinator (where most of the long term answers at coaching came from). The QB we've got isn't some "value" 2nd round pick, he isn't a cast off from another team we traded a 2nd round pick for, he's a first rounder who the Dolphins probably knew more about than any other team. This is a team that repeatedly tried to outsmart the league on QB talent by throwing 2nd round picks at leftovers (draft leftovers or other team's leftovers/backups) and failed miserably again and again and again and again and again (I don't have the heart to type out, or count, how many more "and again"s I need to be accurate), this time, they invested in the position and that strategy shift alone is encouraging. Is Philbin any better than Cam Cameron? That looks like a good bet so far, but no telling if he's the answer. Is Tannehill better than Henne? Again, there's reason to believe he is, but nobody knows if he'll take this franchise to better places yet. There's reasons for hope, because some things that matter are different this time around.

Dolphins signed OL Lance Louis today. Louis started 28 games since being drafted in 09 by the Bears. It looks like he has played mostly guard in the NFL. He was a tackle in college.

He ended 2012 with a torn ACL.

I posted Lebatard's big article in the Herald, not one comment from any of you. What planet are you all living on? The team has now put themselves in a terrible spot for 2014 with contracts that explode against the cap next year. Clearly Ireland is trying to save his job at this point. All he has done is go and replace things that were already fixed prior...WR1, MLB, OLB, RT/LT/OL(Miami spent $150M on it when Parcells got here 5 yrs ago)...this is not new n fresh moves, these are the same things they did 4 and 5 years ago. And now we are gonna take an OT in the 1st round?

Wake up everyone

That new logo looks like something you might see at Sea World, just disgusting and only pushes me further away form this team. South Florida Shamus is the new name.
:shrug: What do you expect Ireland to do, roll over and quit?As for the rest, Tannehill needed weapons, and they signed some. I'm excited for this season, personally and I'm expecting a playoff berth.

I just can't get over this new logo. It is God awful. I have no idea what they are thinking.

This pic I found on twitter really shows how how bad it is in comparison to the current one: My link

I just can't get over this new logo. It is God awful. I have no idea what they are thinking.

This pic I found on twitter really shows how how bad it is in comparison to the current one: My link
I thought you liked it...The one they had from 1974-1989 always looked the best to me. Miami Logo

That dark puke blue they threw in about 1997 is the worst. bright team n orange should be the colors, period.

Dolphins pick up DL Vaughn Martin from SD.
Miami has a nice deep rotation at DT now. Martin is 26, 330lb DT for run stopping, doubtful he will see he field a lot behind Soliai is 29 years old, Starks is 28 I think, not sure age mattered much but Miami continues to be young. I hope this didn't cost much because we have other pressing needs than back up DT, like how bout a couple starting Corners some depth/prospects for OT.

Dolphins sign CB Brent Grimes to a one year, 5.5 million dollar contact. Very nice. :thumbup:
:goodposting: Like who Ireland has brought in through FA this off season.Sure he overpayed for a few but they've filled some holes. They've gotten faster and younger on D + given Tannehill some weapons.Staying postive - used to negative all the time like MOP but what's the point in that?

Dolphins sign CB Brent Grimes to a one year, 5.5 million dollar contact. Very nice. :thumbup:
:goodposting: Like who Ireland has brought in through FA this off season.Sure he overpayed for a few but they've filled some holes. They've gotten faster and younger on D + given Tannehill some weapons.Staying postive - used to negative all the time like MOP but what's the point in that?
$3m guaranteed along with other bonus for games started and other incentives. Huge signing for us that gives us a lot more flexibility on draft day.Plus hes only 29.

$3m guaranteed along with other bonus for games started and other incentives. Huge signing for us that gives us a lot more flexibility on draft day.Plus hes only 29.
The flexibility is very exciting. Tackle is the only glaring hole with this signing. Ireland will be free to take BPA or trade up as needed. Plenty of depth in this draft at positions the Dolphins can use. I still expect a CB in the first 3 rounds.I have read the team still has $20 million in cap space next year even with all the activity.

'Slapdash said:
Injury plagued and coming off a torn achilles in 2011 and 2012, he went undrafted and played for Shippenburg University? Is this not the same board and people that were celebrating the Dolphins not locking up Jake Long due to injury? His resume included 4 Pro Bowl appearances in 5 seasons, drafted #1 overall, and played at Lineman U in Michigan. It's astonishing how you all pick and choose what to analyze with the Phins. Again I'm sorry to be negative and it's good to root for the team but you all are fooling yourself. Building a team thru FA is not how you get to the playoffs, look around the league and look who is successful. NFL GMs are laughing at us right now. 75+ free agents signed in the last decade, 4 total trips to the Pro Bowl. I think you all should pull out the video of the 1994 and 1995 Miami Dolphins. Shula was getting heat and the team wanted him to retire, he was almost forced into it because we were gonna get Jimmy Johnson. What happened? Shula signed a lot of free agents to try and please Huezinga and Miami ended up not doing very well with a lot of money and signings made. Guys you gotta build thru the draft, short cuts don't work in the NFL often. I'm just trying to make you think and not drink the kool-aid from the front office.

Users who are viewing this thread