What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Eagles Vs. Browns Preseason Game 3 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Vick got pummeled on what was a pretty questionable roughing the passer call. He's gonna get mauled all year if this O-line doesn't improve.

Vick got pummeled on what was a pretty questionable roughing the passer call. He's gonna get mauled all year if this O-line doesn't improve.
Seriously, I'm not a big complainer about the rules being too protective and the wussification of the game and all that, but if you can't make the hit that Jackson made on Vick without getting flagged then they might as well shut it down. How else are you supposed to tackle a guy? He was nowhere near his head (which is what they called) and didn't drive him into the ground overly hard. Ridiculous.

It's scary to think how the Eagles will do with VY starting :( . Which is the case if the oline doesn't pick it up.

Watching the first half, McCoy could lead the league in receptions if the real season looks like that did. What, did he have like 10 receptions in the first half or something crazy like that?

Browns offense looking like it is going to struggle...I can't believe we did not replace Pashos in the offseason. He looks TERRIBLE. Phil Taylor definitely looking like the real deal in this game too...Sheard, not so much yet.

And yes, that was a totally BS call of roughing the passer on Jackson that led to the TD for the Eagles to go up 17-0 and cost us that nice pick by Adams.

Every time Vick is sacked we get the folks hoping for him injured circling about. He couldn't have been the only QB that took a sack tonight but every time he does the vultures start circling.

The difference is, Vick wasnt just sacked once tonight. He had zero time all night. He was getting hit while he was throwing all night. Took a ton of rough hits and went to the ground hard a couple times including a bull#### roughing the passer call.

You can tell his o line is young and I think teams are going to bring the pressure on Vick and put him on the turf when they can.

My injury concerns for him are less about him not sliding or going ob while scrambling, but getting the protection he needs from his young line so as to not get murdered for four quarters.

Kid's going to be sore tomorrow. I bet he'd be even more sore if he was white.

My takeaway from this game - no chance of a Celek ressurgence. He is gonna be blocking all year... :thumbdown:

My takeaway from this game - no chance of a Celek ressurgence. He is gonna be blocking all year... :thumbdown:
:goodposting: That's exactly what I saw. I had visions of Alge Crumpler circa '05, but that's not going to happen. Philly looked MUCH better leaving Celek blocking and using Shady as a checkdown outlet. The bottom line is that line needs help and it looks like they rather use Celek over Shady.

The difference is, Vick wasnt just sacked once tonight. He had zero time all night. He was getting hit while he was throwing all night. Took a ton of rough hits and went to the ground hard a couple times including a bull#### roughing the passer call. You can tell his o line is young and I think teams are going to bring the pressure on Vick and put him on the turf when they can. My injury concerns for him are less about him not sliding or going ob while scrambling, but getting the protection he needs from his young line so as to not get murdered for four quarters.Kid's going to be sore tomorrow. I bet he'd be even more sore if he was white.
Except...The RT in this game was King Dunlap. He won't see the field in a regular season game. Or at least, we hope he won't. Winston Justice is almost ready to return, and while he isn't the greatest RT, he's head and shoulders better then Dunlap. Also, they were using Kelce as the starting C in this game over Jamal Jackson. Kelce is a rookie who looks good in practice and they probably want to take over for Jamal Jackson, but he's undersized (which is a Howard Mudd likeable trait). After last nights performace, Jackson, IMO will be back as the starting C for one more year to get the rookie Kelce some more seasoning.Another thing I noticed is that even when Vick had time he wouldn't get rid of the ball so I assume (I couldn't see downfield from the telecast) that the recievers weren't getting open. When they get Maclin and Steve Smith in there, there should be more WRs who can get open so Vick won't have to hold the ball as long.I'm more concerned about the Eagles LBs, more specifically Matthews. I just don't think he's good enough.

Give Matthews a few weeks before calling for his head. That kid is going to be a star. He has a nose for the ball and will be a Philly institution at MLB for years to come. His head has to be just swimming and it's not like he's going to be thrown into a lot of nicklebacker situations.

The difference is, Vick wasnt just sacked once tonight. He had zero time all night. He was getting hit while he was throwing all night. Took a ton of rough hits and went to the ground hard a couple times including a bull#### roughing the passer call.

You can tell his o line is young and I think teams are going to bring the pressure on Vick and put him on the turf when they can.

My injury concerns for him are less about him not sliding or going ob while scrambling, but getting the protection he needs from his young line so as to not get murdered for four quarters.

Except...The RT in this game was King Dunlap. He won't see the field in a regular season game. Or at least, we hope he won't. Winston Justice is almost ready to return, and while he isn't the greatest RT, he's head and shoulders better then Dunlap.

Also, they were using Kelce as the starting C in this game over Jamal Jackson. Kelce is a rookie who looks good in practice and they probably want to take over for Jamal Jackson, but he's undersized (which is a Howard Mudd likeable trait). After last nights performace, Jackson, IMO will be back as the starting C for one more year to get the rookie Kelce some more seasoning.

Another thing I noticed is that even when Vick had time he wouldn't get rid of the ball so I assume (I couldn't see downfield from the telecast) that the recievers weren't getting open. When they get Maclin and Steve Smith in there, there should be more WRs who can get open so Vick won't have to hold the ball as long.

I'm more concerned about the Eagles LBs, more specifically Matthews. I just don't think he's good enough.
I would give your view credence on the RT being different, but they were getting beat from the inside, not the outside. Danny Watkins was getting ABUSED by Phil Taylor on almost every play. Maybe that was a result of them going up against each other in practice the past 3 years, but he looked bad, and Taylor looked almost Sapp-like. (and no, I don't think he is THAT good)

Except...The RT in this game was King Dunlap. He won't see the field in a regular season game. Or at least, we hope he won't. Winston Justice is almost ready to return, and while he isn't the greatest RT, he's head and shoulders better then Dunlap.

Also, they were using Kelce as the starting C in this game over Jamal Jackson. Kelce is a rookie who looks good in practice and they probably want to take over for Jamal Jackson, but he's undersized (which is a Howard Mudd likeable trait). After last nights performace, Jackson, IMO will be back as the starting C for one more year to get the rookie Kelce some more seasoning.

Another thing I noticed is that even when Vick had time he wouldn't get rid of the ball so I assume (I couldn't see downfield from the telecast) that the recievers weren't getting open. When they get Maclin and Steve Smith in there, there should be more WRs who can get open so Vick won't have to hold the ball as long.

I'm more concerned about the Eagles LBs, more specifically Matthews. I just don't think he's good enough.
I would give your view credence on the RT being different, but they were getting beat from the inside, not the outside. Danny Watkins was getting ABUSED by Phil Taylor on almost every play. Maybe that was a result of them going up against each other in practice the past 3 years, but he looked bad, and Taylor looked almost Sapp-like. (and no, I don't think he is THAT good)
Read paragraph 2 of my post.

Read paragraph 2 of my post.
I did, but it was mainly Watkins and the other Guard being beaten, not the center. I am sure having the vet in there will help, but if those 2 guards don't play any better than that, Vick could be in trouble. I do blame the Center for allowing Jackson to come free as often as he did, so I guess the other guy will help with that. Of course, if he was bad enough to be potentially replaced by a 6th round rookie pick in the first place, I don't know how much help he will bring to the table.

That O-line looked very shaky first quarter, but much better in the second (and that wasn't entirely because of Celek). Two rookies and Dunlap on the right side made things rough. There was a lot to like though. McCoy looks good...Brown looks like the Brown of yesteryear. The defense looks so much better than last year...Hillis did NOT run them over like he would have done before. Mathews looked much MUCH better in the middle last night. WHile he got stacked once or twice, he also made a couple of nice reads and stalled plays at the LOS. He also made a couple nice plays in coverage. The LBs are still a concern...but there's reason to hope.

I would expect the O-line to gel a little more and improve as the pre-season and early season progress. I'm very worried about week 2 in Atlanta, but the rest of the early season should provide the time to gel.

Give Matthews a few weeks before calling for his head. That kid is going to be a star. He has a nose for the ball and will be a Philly institution at MLB for years to come. His head has to be just swimming and it's not like he's going to be thrown into a lot of nicklebacker situations.
I wish I had your optimisim. Granted though it's only preseason and he didn't get OTA's or even the playbook until late. He did play much better last night.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I had your optimisim. Granted though it's only preseason and he didn't get OTA's or even the playbook until late. He did play much better last night.
He took steps forward and that's what you want to see. Starting at MLB as a rookie is about as tough as it get's outside of a rookie QB. Then you throw in the rest of the stuff that didn't happen in the offseason and I'm shocked he's even this far along.

Users who are viewing this thread