What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*****OFFICIAL FORMULA ONE GRAND PRIX THREAD***** (1 Viewer)

The well-timed safety cars changed the race and made the midfield battle more interesting than it would have been otherwise. Alonso dropped some points by Aston's aggressive switch to softs but it made the ending fun to watch.

Zhou with the biggest celebration of a 14th place finish ever.

The well-timed safety cars changed the race and made the midfield battle more interesting than it would have been otherwise. Alonso dropped some points by Aston's aggressive switch to softs but it made the ending fun to watch.

Zhou with the biggest celebration of a 14th place finish ever.
Pirelli just need to make inconsistent tires. Having different/offset strategies is always nice. Some of those outside the racing line overtakes were great.

Max 13 seconds ahead 10 laps after taking the lead. :lmao: :lmao:

Very fun 3-7 place racing though. Fun track
This is why I struggle to see why F1 is so popular. It's boring, but I watch to bond with my daughter. She loves it.

Well my comment was about the sprint, and that was great sprint imo.

The race overall was good I thought, again because of the midfield overtaking and tire strats.

Newey negotiating with Red Bull to be able to sign with a new team as early as next season - ahead of the 2026 rule changes. I think Ferrari are still the favorites.

I hope they make him sit out the length of his contract and IndyCar hires him to design the next generation car while he has "down time"....it's a dream, but let me dream.

The Formula 1 Channel is new and free on PlutoTV and Amazon Freevee. They stream old races and F1 TV content 7/24 with commercials. There's no live races but today they've shown the replay of China 2024 along with the associated tech talk and onboard shows.

Magnussen :lmao:

Zero cares for staying on the track

He is going to pick up a suspension at some point this season.

KevMag literally ran out of Fs. It's crazy.

How many different penalties did he get this weekend?

-QG

The stewards were already complaining that they could not penalize him more for his driving in the sprint race - I expect to see some rule clarifications in the future to prevent him (and others) from taking irrelevant time penalties while helping a teammate score points.

This was from the post- Sprint Race:

The stewards concluded that as there was "no clear evidence of an intention to behave in a manner that can be said to be unsportsmanlike" and due to the high standard set in determining unsportsmanlike actions no further action should be taken against Magnussen.

But the report made a point in noting that the stewards "disagreed" with the "way in which Car 20 was driven".

And given the repeat offences committed by Magnussen, the report suggested talks would be had over regulation tweaks in order to offer the stewards more power in increasing the severity of punishments to drivers.

The report continued: "Moving forward, the stewards will need to consider if, in appropriate situations, especially in the case of repeat infringements, the penalties to be applied for each infringement need to be increased to discourage scenarios such as those that we found today.

Ok still as a newb, this drove me a little nuts.

Seeing Max go from 2secs back to 4-5secs behind Lando and Scahrles stayig 2.3-2.5 behind max was nuts to me. Was Lando pulling that much away? Were Max and Charles losing the same amount of time to him? It felt like Charles should have been able to close that gap and challenge for P2 with the issues Max was having.

Seeing Max go from 2secs back to 4-5secs behind Lando and Scahrles stayig 2.3-2.5 behind max was nuts to me. Was Lando pulling that much away? Were Max and Charles losing the same amount of time to him? It felt like Charles should have been able to close that gap and challenge for P2 with the issues Max was having.
Landon got his tires on Lap 30
Max got his tires 6 laps earlier on Lap 24
Charles got his tires 9 laps earlier on Lap 21

So it isn't really that surprising that Lando was able to expand his lead with fresher tires

That Charles was able to keep the margin steady behind Max with 3 lap older tires that actually probably speaks to the issues Max was having because otherwise it would be expected that Max would have pulled away.

-QG

So it isn't really that surprising that Lando was able to expand his lead with fresher tires

That Charles was able to keep the margin steady behind Max with 3 lap older tires that actually probably speaks to the issues Max was having because otherwise it would be expected that Max would have pulled away.

-QG

It was the age of the tires combined with the compound choice. Both Red Bulls struggled with grip on the hards for some reason.

-QG

It was the age of the tires combined with the compound choice. Both Red Bulls struggled with grip on the hards for some reason.

Absolutely and McLaren generally has been able to get their tires up into the optimal window faster than the other teams and Lando is known as a driver that takes good care of his tires. Running from the front helped him optimize in that regard

-QG

In an ideal world where one team and driver isn't curb stomping everyone every week these little design and driving difference adds a great deal of intrigue to the proceedings. Some cats are better on straights but sacrifice cornering. Or there can be choices of speed vs handling which gets into picking a setup that is easier on tires for long run gains but at the sacrifice of making overtakes when the field is bunched. Classic strategy elements like whether 1 stop or 2 stops is quicker (personally I wish this were 2 vs 3 and adding more strategy as a result). When the cars are closer together in terms of overall performance all of these factors makes for much more interesting racing.

That there is such a gulf in class on this version of the car gets magnified as the lead team - it's advantage do secure - can get a head start on the NEXT season's car.

Really the next generation car cannot come soon enough.

-QG

-QG
Makes sense, thanks.

One other thing was Charles not being able to overtake Piastri with DRS early on when he was within .5-.7 for many, many laps. McLaren really seem to have put in some nice upgrades (and Piastri didn't even have them all!)

That there is such a gulf in class on this version of the car gets magnified as the lead team - it's advantage do secure - can get a head start on the NEXT season's car.

There is a gap between RBR to the next four teams and another gap to the backmarkers but those gaps are relatively small compared to most previous eras of F1. If you look back at old seasons, the qualifying intervals and margins of race victories were significantly larger than they are today. The frequency of safety cars has a big impact on the latter but you rarely see cars lapping 3 seconds off the pace in qualifying anymore.

I think this makes Verstappen and RBR's achievments even more impressive. They've consistently a little bit quicker on virtually all combinations of tracks, tire compounds and weather conditions. Max's talent is a huge part of this; if Red Bull had Sergio Perez and Pergio Serez behind the wheel, there would be more race weekends where another team would be the one to beat.

There is a gap between RBR to the next four teams and another gap to the backmarkers but those gaps are relatively small compared to most previous eras of F1. If you look back at old seasons, the qualifying intervals and margins of race victories were significantly larger than they are today. The frequency of safety cars has a big impact on the latter but you rarely see cars lapping 3 seconds off the pace in qualifying anymore.

I think this makes Verstappen and RBR's achievments even more impressive. They've consistently a little bit quicker on virtually all combinations of tracks, tire compounds and weather conditions. Max's talent is a huge part of this; if Red Bull had Sergio Perez and Pergio Serez behind the wheel, there would be more race weekends where another team would be the one to beat.
I'd buy a Pergio Serez t-shirt.

Strance Loll FTW

Strance Loll FTW
He suxors. Will he ever be out or what?

Strance Loll FTW
Not as long as his Dad owns the team.

Strance Loll FTW

Yeah that makes for the longest of leashes. Will have to dig up the examples where father has dumped son out of a racing team in motorsports. Surely not zero. And if and when that time comes does Dad stick with owning the team?

-QG

Strance Loll FTW

Yeah that makes for the longest of leashes. Will have to dig up the examples where father has dumped son out of a racing team in motorsports. Surely not zero. And if and when that time comes does Dad stick with owning the team?

-QG
Stroll started racing for Williams when his father reportedly paid $80 million to Williams prior to his F1 debut.
Then when Force India had financing trouble and his father bought the team, he began racing for the new team under the name Racing Point (among other names). The team then re-branded as Aston Martin when his father bought part of the company.

So, even if Dad does give him the boot off of the AM team, I think he'll be alright.

My guess is Lawrence will continue to own the team whether his son has a seat on it or not.

Strance Loll FTW

-QG
Stroll started racing for Williams when his father reportedly paid $80 million to Williams prior to his F1 debut.
Then when Force India had financing trouble and his father bought the team, he began racing for the new team under the name Racing Point (among other names). The team then re-branded as Aston Martin when his father bought part of the company.

So, even if Dad does give him the boot off of the AM team, I think he'll be alright.

My guess is Lawrence will continue to own the team whether his son has a seat on it or not.
Recent reports said Lawrence was looking to sell up to a 25% stake in the Aston Martin team, so maybe he is even getting sick of young Lance.

Users who are viewing this thread