What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL Google Nexus 7 Tablet Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Gotta give props to NVIDIA with their Tegra 3 processor in the tablet space. Asus Transformer Prime, Microsoft Surface* and now the Google Nexus 7 all use this processor.

* Surface comes in x86 (Intel) and ARM (NVIDIA) configurations. Curious to see the battery life comparison between the two.

282.32 shipped for the 16gb.....sure wish they were going to make available through stores.....avoid the stinking shipping charges.

I was concerned about the inability to expand as well (hell, my phone has 32 gb with the micro sd) but the more I think about it I'm fairly confident that this will meet my needs so I pulled the trigger. Plenty of space for a few movies, magazines, movies and books that will get most people through a 4 hour flight. If I'm home, I'll stream via the cloud (or use a different device -- maybe even a TV)

Plenty of space for a few movies, magazines, movies and books that will get most people through a 4 hour flight.
I dunno. If you are talking about the 8gb version I'd be able to carry my entire book collection no problem because the file sizes are so small. Music and podcasts would eat up that 8gb very, very fast. With apps on the device I'm not sure whether I'd be able to fit even a single movie on it even without any other media. What size file is a typical movie?

Plenty of space for a few movies, magazines, movies and books that will get most people through a 4 hour flight.
I dunno. If you are talking about the 8gb version I'd be able to carry my entire book collection no problem because the file sizes are so small. Music and podcasts would eat up that 8gb very, very fast. With apps on the device I'm not sure whether I'd be able to fit even a single movie on it even without any other media. What size file is a typical movie?
Light compression MP4 is about 700MB/hour of contentYou could DIVX up the same content for such a small screen and see minimal, if any, resolution drop at 200MB/hr. MKV is the best way to do 720p and runs about 1.7GB/hr, but that may be high and you certainly don't have to run the max bitrate for such a small screen.

I got an email saying mine has been shipped.

You can't store your whole movie collection on the device, but loading one or two movies is no problem. They're typically 700 MB to 1.4 GB or so.I've got my entire book collection on DropBox, and my entire music collection on Google Music. I'll usually keep a few books on the device, whatever I'm reading at the time, but that takes hardly any space at all. If I want to listen to music without a wi-fi connection I'll use my phone.It's plenty easy to put a few TV shows or a movie on the 8 GB device.

You could DIVX up the same content for such a small screen and see minimal, if any, resolution drop at 200MB/hr.
That is interesting, and impressive. After reading your response I checked a couple of "TWIT Photo" episodes on my hard drive and sure enough they are just under an hour and depending on the quality you choose can be as small as 132mb in .mp4 format(640x368) which I would think still looks good on a 7" screen.I used to keep up with the codecs and quality trade-offs but with memory so cheap I haven't paid much attention the past several years.

I got an email saying mine has been shipped.
I'm not really trying to rain on the parade of the Google Nexus Tablet. It's definitely the best value if you are purchasing a new tablet at the moment. For people that really, really put a lot of value in having the absolute latest version of Android out there(and there always seems to be a lot of hand-wringing about that for some reason) it will likely be the best value for a tablet well past the holidays. For someone in the market right now, since you lost your Fire recently, it makes perfect sense. Asus is a great hardware company and the partnership would suggest that the software side of things will run smoothly.I'm just disappointed that the device is worse than what was shown at CES almost 6 months ago(or 12 years ago in mobil-os years).

Well, my local sams has them in stock but they cannot sell them. Guy told me one accidently was sold and the manager came running saying that Google had placed a hold in releasing them and they can not sell them.

Wonder if google is trying Iet Pre orders through google play get delivered first?

Sucks!

Well, my local sams has them in stock but they cannot sell them. Guy told me one accidently was sold and the manager came running saying that Google had placed a hold in releasing them and they can not sell them. Wonder if google is trying Iet Pre orders through google play get delivered first?Sucks!
I was able to get one at Sam's on Saturday. Just had to give them the item number (793929) since no one had any idea what a "Nexus 7" is. So far I'm blown away, even after coming from a Transformer. Everything they say about the Project Butter improvements is true. It flies. The only negative is app selection but hopefully the success of this thing will encourage more development.

Well crap! I guess I should have ordered te thing. All of the Sams/Staples/gamestops within 50 miles of me either only received preorders or already sold out of the 5 or so that they received. One day sams won't let me buy what they have in stock and the very next day they sell out before I can contact them again. Grrrrr!

Mine came about 30 minutes ago. I'm posting from it now. First impressions: it's very fast, it didn't come preloaded with everything I would have expected (like Google Voice), I hope swype is available, and the navigation isn't all that intuitive.

It won't play .avi files with the stock video player? It only plays .mp4 files?

I downloaded the free MX Player and it works fine, but it's kind of lame that I need a third-party app to play anything other than an mp4.

Well, my local sams has them in stock but they cannot sell them. Guy told me one accidently was sold and the manager came running saying that Google had placed a hold in releasing them and they can not sell them. Wonder if google is trying Iet Pre orders through google play get delivered first?Sucks!
I was able to get one at Sam's on Saturday. Just had to give them the item number (793929) since no one had any idea what a "Nexus 7" is. So far I'm blown away, even after coming from a Transformer. Everything they say about the Project Butter improvements is true. It flies. The only negative is app selection but hopefully the success of this thing will encourage more development.
Nice to know. I like my transformer.

Nice to know. I like my transformer.
I liked mine too, but wanted something smaller for e-books. There's no need to ditch the Transformer if you're happy with it, particularly since Asus already confirmed it will receive Jelly Bean.

After playing with this for a few days, here are some more thoughts.

This is an impressive upgrade over the first generation Kindle Fire. It's thinner, sleeker, lighter, more comfortable to hold, and faster. I also like having access to the Android app store (now Google Play) instead of just the Kindle app store.

Some of the apps I grew to like on the Fire and other Android devices are not (yet?) available on the Nexus 7. Maybe they don't work with Jellybean generally, or maybe they don't work with this screen size . . . I don't know.

Swype is apparently one such app. It's not in the Google Play store. Thanks, Jaysus, for mentioning the beta. I just installed that and it seems to work fine. The stock keyboard is actually pretty good as far as tapping goes. It successfully predicts the next word pretty well, which saves time; I just prefer swiping to tapping. There are a couple of swipe input apps available in the Google Play store, namely TouchPal and SlideIT, but I don't need to play around with those as long as the Swype beta keeps working.

I like Dolphin HD better than Chrome. Since Chrome doesn't have add-ons, it won't work with LastPass, which I've grown to rely on. I also really like Dolphin's gestures, and its desktop/mobile toggle add-on. I used Chrome on my desktop, and it's kind of cool to automatically have my desktop bookmarks (as well as my open tabs at any given time) available on my tablet, but that's not enough of a selling point to overcome Dolphin's advantages.

For some reason, I can't read local .mobi files with the Kindle app. The Kindle app seems to work only with stuff that's downloaded from the Amazon cloud, not with files side-loaded and stored locally on the device. That wasn't true on the Kindle Fire, and I'm not sure why it should be true on the Nexus 7. Maybe I'm just missing something. So to read a .mobi file that's not already in my Amazon cloud, I can either use FB Reader or Cool Reader (neither of which I like as much as the Kindle app), or I can upload it to the cloud and then download it to read it with the Kindle app. The latter just seem like a pointless series of steps.

It's odd that there's no stock file explorer. ES File Explorer is great, but it's just kind of strange that I have to use a third-party app to access the device's file directory. (The Kindle Fire was the same way.)

Having GPS is a nice upgrade over the Fire. I guess a microphone is good for people who do voice commands or voice-to-text stuff, along with a camera for people who do live video chats, but I haven't used that stuff.

Looks like some report of hardware and other issues popping up:http://www.pcworld.com/article/259624/google_nexus_7_display_problems_reported.html

Google's Nexus 7 has been flying off the shelves, but not everyone is completely satisfied with the user experience. The culprit? Problems have cropped up with the tablet's display, according to some reports.These issues aren't terribly surprising considering the Nexus 7 is a budget device that sells for only $199 and $249 for the 8GB and 16GB models, respectively. And as PCWorld has pointed out, it only costs Google about $160 to make.Here's a rundown of what users have been saying.Venture Beat's Devindra Hardawar says that at times the device's touchscreen doesn't register inputs while performing data-intensive operations such as updating several apps simultaneously or syncing the tablet with several apps from a phone.And Ryan Whitwam at Geek.com reports that touch response consistently fails on parts of the screen when playing graphics-intensive games on the Nexus 7. To fix the issue, he recommends turning the screen off and then back on.While these issues may be solved with a future software update, some people are reporting hardware issues with the Nexus 7 display, as well.PocketNow posted images of a Nexus 7 with a backlight bleeding issue. And AndroidAuthority reports that the displays on some units aren’t properly screwed in, causing them to come out of the tablet's plastic bezel and creak when touched.If you're having problems you can always return the Nexus 7 and get a different one. That said, you might have to wait a bit to get a replacement considering the units are proving difficult -- if not impossible -- to find.Despite reports that Google’s new tablet has some issues, many people who ordered the Nexus 7 finally got their units in the mail this week and from what people are posting online it looks like the vast majority of users absolutely love it.

Crap! Got excited tonight when I saw that Walmart has the Nexus 7 listed as in stock....but when you try to check out it won't let you choose home or in store delivery so you can't progress to final check out. :-(

'Maurile Tremblay said:
For some reason, I can't read local .mobi files with the Kindle app. The Kindle app seems to work only with stuff that's downloaded from the Amazon cloud, not with files side-loaded and stored locally on the device. That wasn't true on the Kindle Fire, and I'm not sure why it should be true on the Nexus 7. Maybe I'm just missing something. So to read a .mobi file that's not already in my Amazon cloud, I can either use FB Reader or Cool Reader (neither of which I like as much as the Kindle app), or I can upload it to the cloud and then download it to read it with the Kindle app. The latter just seem like a pointless series of steps.
I'm not sure why that would be a problem either. Do you have them in the Kindle folder or in a different folder for books? If not in the Kindle folder, try that.I'm running Jelly Bean on my Kindle Fire so I have to use the Kindle app from the Play Store and I'm pretty sure I had to copy my mobi files into the Kindle folder to get them to read from there.

'Maurile Tremblay said:
I'm not sure why that would be a problem either. Do you have them in the Kindle folder or in a different folder for books? If not in the Kindle folder, try that.I'm running Jelly Bean on my Kindle Fire so I have to use the Kindle app from the Play Store and I'm pretty sure I had to copy my mobi files into the Kindle folder to get them to read from there.
That mostly worked. I had all my books in my "Books" folder. By putting the .mobi files in my "kindle" folder, I still can't open them with the Kindle app by clicking on the books from within the file explorer. But if I open the Kindle app first, they do show up there and I can open them with the app. I guess I'll keep two folders for books.That means I can also delete the FB Reader and Cool Reader apps since between Kindle and Montano, I've got all formats covered. (I like the Kindle for mobi and prc, and Montano for epub and pdf.)

Got lucky and was able to order one from MacMall earlier this week.....hoping it is going to arrive today or tomorrow. Will be my first tablet of any sort.

Signed up to be notified when the 16GB version is available. By the time I get notified, I probably won't want one anymore.

I have the 16gb one, and am fairly confident that the 8gb model would be just fine for me.

'Jaysus said:
I have the 16gb one, and am fairly confident that the 8gb model would be just fine for me.
Yeah, the 8gb model has 5.9gb available for storage (give or take, depending on how many apps you load). That's more than I need. Books are very small. If you have a ton of books, you can store all of them in a cloud, and just load the five or six that you'll be reading at any given time on the device. Pictures can all be stored in a cloud. So can office-suite-type docs. Only videos take up much room, and 5gb is more than five hours' worth. I don't envision needing to load more than that onto the device at any given time.

Read a review (forgot which one) that made this note about the GPS/Maps app - that a user had to "save" a map of an area they were going to prior to using the Navigation capability.

Is this accurate? Seemed odd to me that you couldn't just turn on the GPs/Nav and a map would pull up wherever you are. Does this mean I have to find a WiFi spot, open up Maps, somehow "save" the area I'll be travelling in before I can use the navigation feature? Wouldn't this just work like a GPS unit or my Android where I don't have to "save" a map beforehand?

Considering having one of these for my pending honeymoon - the Nav feature could help me drive around Crete.

Sorry if a dumb question. 10-year old level explanation may be required.

Read a review (forgot which one) that made this note about the GPS/Maps app - that a user had to "save" a map of an area they were going to prior to using the Navigation capability.
That's if you're not going to have a wi-fi connection.If you have a wi-fi connection, you can access whatever map you want that way. If you're not going to have a wi-fi connection, you need to download and save whatever map you want ahead of time.

Read a review (forgot which one) that made this note about the GPS/Maps app - that a user had to "save" a map of an area they were going to prior to using the Navigation capability.Is this accurate? Seemed odd to me that you couldn't just turn on the GPs/Nav and a map would pull up wherever you are. Does this mean I have to find a WiFi spot, open up Maps, somehow "save" the area I'll be travelling in before I can use the navigation feature? Wouldn't this just work like a GPS unit or my Android where I don't have to "save" a map beforehand?Considering having one of these for my pending honeymoon - the Nav feature could help me drive around Crete.Sorry if a dumb question. 10-year old level explanation may be required.
It doesn't have cellular capability, so if you are traveling there is no way to update the map without a wifi connection (unless you can use your phone as a hot spot).

That's if you're not going to have a wi-fi connection.If you have a wi-fi connection, you can access whatever map you want that way. If you're not going to have a wi-fi connection, you need to download and save whatever map you want ahead of time.
Rail> the other option is to get a 3rd party Navigation app that includes offline maps.
at $199 this is kind of a no-brainer, right?
I think so. I am not generally an early tech adopter... but I jumped on this one.

at $199 this is kind of a no-brainer, right?
Yes, there's nothing that beats it at this point. I'm still hoping that Asus makes it's own fully functional (microSD, HDMI) 7" at some point but I wouldn't expect it before Tegra 4 is released.

Qualcomm recently released their quad core Snapdragon S4 Pro processor that easily beats the Tegra 3. No word yet on what devices will use it but there should be some out by the end of the year.

Swype is acting goofy. It won't automatically insert spaces between words in the dolphin browser, and it won't do apostrophes correctly in chrome.

Received my 16gb from Macmall on Friday....I'm really liking this thing....granted my first tablet experience of any kind....but I'm happy so far.....just playing so far, but looking forward to seeing some practical uses/help for this thing as I head back to work in a few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread