What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL Google Nexus 7 Tablet Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Can someone tell me the benefits of Dolphin browser vs Chrome? I've seen a lot of people talk about it. I installed it, but haven't done anything with it yet.

Can someone tell me the benefits of Dolphin browser vs Chrome? I've seen a lot of people talk about it. I installed it, but haven't done anything with it yet.
Dolphin was the best browser I found for my phone. Not sure how it compares to chrome on a tablet.Dolphin you could do flash and was one of the first for tabs etc. I think they have similar features now :shrug:

The two biggest benefits are the LastPass add-on, and gestures.LastPass is great because it fills in your usernames and passwords for you, saving you from having to type them in on the device's keyboard.Gestures are also great. There are standard ones for refreshing, jumping to the top or bottom of the page, etc. And you can also enter your own customized gestures for your bookmarks. So if I want to go to Footballguys.com, I just tap the gesture button and write an "F" on the screen, and it takes me to Footballguys.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
One reason it's talked about is because it was among the first well-made browsers on Android. It's like how Netscape showed people what a browser could do in the mid-90s. Other browsers like Chrome have mostly caught up, but you'll still have your Dolphin devotees.

The two biggest benefits are the LastPass add-on, and gestures.LastPass is great because it fills in your usernames and passwords for you, saving you from having to type them in on the device's keyboard.Gestures are also great. There are standard ones for refreshing, jumping to the top or bottom of the page, etc. And you can also enter your own customized gestures for your bookmarks. So if I want to go to Footballguys.com, I just tap the gesture button and write an "F" on the screen, and it takes me to Footballguys.com.
That's pretty awesome. I already know what gesture I want to use for playboy.com.

Started using Dolphin browser. The gestures thing is pretty cool. I'll miss the auto sync with Chrome though. :sadbanana:
I use Chrome about 60% of the time and Dolphin about 40%, just depending on what I'm doing. I always use Dolphin when I'm going to need to enter a password or fill out a form. I use Chrome more often than not for general browsing (e.g., following a link from an email). One of the things I like about Chrome is that when there are two small links close together, and I try to click one of them but it's hard to aim precisely enough, it sometimes gives me a little pop-up bubble with the enlarged links so that it's easier to click the right one. Also, Swype works a lot better in Chrome than in Dolphin, for some reason. When I use Chrome, though, I do miss the ease in Dolphin of jumping to the top of the page.In any case, what I'm saying is that you don't have to pick one or the other and always stick with it. You can go back and forth at your whim.

Started using Dolphin browser. The gestures thing is pretty cool. I'll miss the auto sync with Chrome though. :sadbanana:
I use Chrome about 60% of the time and Dolphin about 40%, just depending on what I'm doing. I always use Dolphin when I'm going to need to enter a password or fill out a form. I use Chrome more often than not for general browsing (e.g., following a link from an email). One of the things I like about Chrome is that when there are two small links close together, and I try to click one of them but it's hard to aim precisely enough, it sometimes gives me a little pop-up bubble with the enlarged links so that it's easier to click the right one. Also, Swype works a lot better in Chrome than in Dolphin, for some reason. When I use Chrome, though, I do miss the ease in Dolphin of jumping to the top of the page.In any case, what I'm saying is that you don't have to pick one or the other and always stick with it. You can go back and forth at your whim.
um did you side load swype?

'belljr said:
'Maurile Tremblay said:
'SacramentoBob said:
um did you side load swype?
I don't remember. It's the beta version that I got from the Swype website, not from the Google Play store, but I don't remember if I sideloaded it or downloaded it directly onto the tablet.

To all my nexus nerd ifriends. As I slowly pull stuff off my phone and put stuff on the tablet, I have found the emulators to play better on the tablet. Still a little tough with no actual joystick.

That being said if anyone is interested I have a small collection of nes roms that I'll email. I also have genesis version of nhl 94.

:thumbup:

To all my nexus nerd ifriends. As I slowly pull stuff off my phone and put stuff on the tablet, I have found the emulators to play better on the tablet. Still a little tough with no actual joystick.That being said if anyone is interested I have a small collection of nes roms that I'll email. I also have genesis version of nhl 94. :thumbup:
Um, yes please. You could also just put them in a public Dropbox folder.I'd like to try them on my Kindle Fire (running Jelly Bean)

ok people

NES

1) download the NES-FC app. I have the lite version don't know the differences, OR an emulator you prefer.

2) Here is the dropbox link- put the folder on your nexus.

3) ENJOY!!!

FOR NHL 94

1) Download GENPLUSDroid app

2) Open the app

3) Close the app

4) NHL 94 zip is in the link above

5) Put the zip in the GENPLUSDROID/roms folder.

ETA: Removing link until I get the ok from a admin/mod - PM for details

'SacramentoBob said:
'Maurile Tremblay said:
In any case, what I'm saying is that you don't have to pick one or the other and always stick with it. You can go back and forth at your whim.
Heresy. You can't serve two browser masters at once.
Bullocks - I have 6 browsers installed and that is down from my last phone since I didn't install a few that I had on that one. I regularly use Firefox Mobile, stock browser (basically is what you use in apps, and some apps call it directly instead of asking which browser you want to use) and occasionally will load Chrome. Firefox beat Chrome out for me for daily use since when I tried them both Chrome was really unstable while the Aurora version of Firefox (before the official release) was buttery smooth. Actually mimics my desktop browser use - I run email and links I open from email in Chrome and have Firefox set as the default and do the rest of my browsing in that.

So I tried the Google wallet at cvs, didn't work for ####, lady looked at me like I was looney
:lmao: "I SWEAR LADY I CAN PAY YOU WITH THIS TABLET!"
Pretty much :lmao:I just read that you can't have less than the purchase be more than what is on the card, so I will try again tommorow. :lmao:
I was able to spilt mine between the tablet and a debit card :shrug:I also opened the app and entered my PIN while waiting in line. I've read that is not necessary, but I did it any way.

Finally pulled the trigger and got the 16Gb. My first tablet and loving it so far.

Easy/stupid question. How do I get the "home screen" to auto-rotate when I turn it sideways? I pulled down the top-menu and hit the little "auto-rotate" symbol (i.e., the "lock" symbol is now off), but this only seems to make the screen turn on apps and not the home-screen.

Also, I'm planning on taking this on a some long flights coming up. What's the best way to download apps, movies, etc., so that I do not have to be connected via wi-fi to use them? It seems a lot of stuff requires a connection.

In a similar vein, can I "rent" a movie from the play store and play it without wi-fi connection? Trying to avoid having to "buy" one.

Going to be hitting belljr up for the emulator stuff. :thumbup:

In the current version of jellybean, the home screen will always be displayed portrait mode.

You have to store a video file directly on your device (instead of streaming it) to watch it without an internet connection. There are a number of ways of doing that. I don't know which way is best for your situation.

I don't know about renting, but I doubt it.

Finally pulled the trigger and got the 16Gb. My first tablet and loving it so far.Easy/stupid question. How do I get the "home screen" to auto-rotate when I turn it sideways? I pulled down the top-menu and hit the little "auto-rotate" symbol (i.e., the "lock" symbol is now off), but this only seems to make the screen turn on apps and not the home-screen.Also, I'm planning on taking this on a some long flights coming up. What's the best way to download apps, movies, etc., so that I do not have to be connected via wi-fi to use them? It seems a lot of stuff requires a connection. In a similar vein, can I "rent" a movie from the play store and play it without wi-fi connection? Trying to avoid having to "buy" one.Going to be hitting belljr up for the emulator stuff. :thumbup:
Click my profile, the link is in my about me pageYes you can rent and download, You have 30 dyas to start watching but once you start you have 24 hours
Movie rentals can only be downloaded to one device at a time
http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1266228

Several people at work have bought one "for their wives" now that they've seen mine. It's like a domino effect. Mrs. SB travels every week for work and she has mentioned how great the battery life is when watching movies at the airport.

In the current version of jellybean, the home screen will always be displayed portrait mode.
A third party launcher should allow rotating.
I am currently using rotation locker as opposed to a custom launcher.
Hows the battery life with these running. They killed the battery on my maxx phone.My daughter is loving the stupid thing between angry birds and my nes roms. She plays excitebike all the time. Daddy can I have this? :rant:

Anyone else having issues with the touch screen not working intermittently? It's a known issue (check for a thread on XDA) and mine's being replaced...

By not working I mean not registering some touches when playing a game, or requiring multiple touches when typing one letter.

Went ahead an installed flash and firefox, can get SD and mostly full screen. Good enough, since an app doesn't look like it's coming anytime soon.

Thanks.

@Belljr I want to play the original Mario Kart on my n7, can you point me in the right direction?

@Belljr I want to play the original Mario Kart on my n7, can you point me in the right direction?
Is that an SNES game? The process would be to get something like this

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ca.halsafar.snesdroid&hl=en

And then find the rom to play. Careful looking for ROMS - in the old days - lots of malware. Now adays it may be better...

I unfortunately do not have those but if you want to play RC-Pro Am for nes that is available in my dropbox link. Just visit my about me section.

Let me know if that is enough info

ETA: This app I found is pretty good for searching for table specific apps

Anyone else having issues with the touch screen not working intermittently? It's a known issue (check for a thread on XDA) and mine's being replaced...

By not working I mean not registering some touches when playing a game, or requiring multiple touches when typing one letter.
I bought a 16GB model from Sam's Club & after about 3 days the screen was popping out on the left hand side & it started to have issues with some permanent lightness/brightness on the upper left hand side of the screen.Brought it back to Sam's club, exchanged for another, and taking it out of the box the screen was lifted on the left on that one too. :thumbdown:

Started poking around online & found this thread at XDA developers Forum. Reading through all of the issues other folks were having (the customer service gal at Google claimed about 1% had that problem), I decided to return it. Too bad, because I liked the functionality of it, but I think the quality control on the physical build of the unit as just not there.

Brought one back unopened that I had purchased for my son too.

Liked the size of it, but gonna try out an ipad instead.

Thinking of getting one of these and using a 3G Droid 2 Global as a hotspot.

(The Droid will be upgraded in a month, when eligible.)

Service is Verizon. Signal is pretty solid.

Anybody got experience with doing this? I couldn't find any discussion on the thread for hotspot setup.

I use my phone as a hotspot all the time... well, mostly when I am pooping in the office, but still.

Thinking of getting one of these and using a 3G Droid 2 Global as a hotspot.(The Droid will be upgraded in a month, when eligible.)Service is Verizon. Signal is pretty solid.Anybody got experience with doing this? I couldn't find any discussion on the thread for hotspot setup.
Do it all the time. My phone hotspot is disabled (unlimited data guy here), I use foxfi app for now. So far no problems :mellow:

Thinking of getting one of these and using a 3G Droid 2 Global as a hotspot.(The Droid will be upgraded in a month, when eligible.)Service is Verizon. Signal is pretty solid.Anybody got experience with doing this? I couldn't find any discussion on the thread for hotspot setup.
Do it all the time. My phone hotspot is disabled (unlimited data guy here), I use foxfi app for now. So far no problems :mellow:
Thanks for the tip!I don't foxfi was available last I looked into this. Or, if it was, I missed it altogether.It's the wife's Droid, so I'm certainly not going to root it. Got the foxfi set up on the droid. Wow. That was simpler than most apps. Works great in testing as an access point for my PC.Buying the Google Nexus 16GB this morning.

Thanks for the tip!I don't foxfi was available last I looked into this. Or, if it was, I missed it altogether.It's the wife's Droid, so I'm certainly not going to root it. Got the foxfi set up on the droid. Wow. That was simpler than most apps. Works great in testing as an access point for my PC.Buying the Google Nexus 16GB this morning.
:thumbup: My phone has the option and I can select it but I get the genric verizon message about signing up for the plan. I've been quite happy with foxfi.The only issue I have had so far is this.When receiving a phone call, it doesn't come through if running foxfi. Your data will just shutoff and you think something broke, but it won't come back on. I turn off the app, and there is a voicemail :) It has happened a couple times.

Saving the individual maps of Athens, Santorini, and Crete (had to actually save 3 different maps as the island is so big) and using the GPS worked like a champ on our honeymoon. Saved my butt on more than one occasion when we got lost.

Although Sunday Ticket Max didn't allow me to tune into individual games while outside of the US, I still got to watch the Red Zone Channel.

Rental movies worked great. NES emulator working.

All in all, very happy with this. :thumbup:

Anyone else get the update? Home screen now auto rotates - :magical:

Not sure what other features were fixed /added

Anyone else get the update? Home screen now auto rotates - :magical:Not sure what other features were fixed /added
Notification pull downs can now be embiggened with just one finger now instead of only with two. Most of the other changes were minor big fixes.

Users who are viewing this thread