What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (4 Viewers)

You did steal it. If the chimney is welded on, then it was made by the crew of OK Joe, aka Joe Davidson (maybe the most interesting man in BBQ if not the world). If the smoke stack is not welded on, then it was made by Char-Broil after they bought the line. If it is welded, you got it for about 5% of its worth. 
 It's definitely pre Char Broil.  I wasn't sure until I got there, but everything is welded.  The fire box, chimney, racks.  No need for any gaskets or mods.  The lady owned a storage unit, and I'm guessing this thing was used once or twice, then put up in storage for years.  She just looked up OK Joe on Amazon and saw that a new one goes for like $400.  

It's definitely pre Char Broil.  I wasn't sure until I got there, but everything is welded.  The fire box, chimney, racks.  No need for any gaskets or mods.  The lady owned a storage unit, and I'm guessing this thing was used once or twice, then put up in storage for years.  She just looked up OK Joe on Amazon and saw that a new one goes for like $400.  
Oh wow! That cooker is probably at the top of my list for grills that I want. I'm very jealous. 

On a side note, I just got one of these delivered on Thursday.

I pretty much smoke everything at 275-325. I can't tell the difference between that and 200-225 and the time saving is insane. That, and if Myron Mixon smokes his briskets at 350, I feel that's all the justification I need. 
I didn't notice much difference in tenderness and flavor. I did notice two differences however. I got a nicer bark smoking at a higher temperature. Also, I didn't have as much of a smoke ring which is no big deal. 

Can ribs be cooked hot and fast as well or is it just for bigger pieces of meat? 

I didn't notice much difference in tenderness and flavor. I did notice two differences however. I got a nicer bark smoking at a higher temperature. Also, I didn't have as much of a smoke ring which is no big deal. 

Can ribs be cooked hot and fast as well or is it just for bigger pieces of meat? 
I do my baby backs at 300 for 2 hours. I never flip or move them. they come out just short of fall off the bone. For spares, I usually go about 30 minutes longer. I've been doing them this way for multiple decades. 

DUDE! :wub:  

Grilled six slabs of ribs yesterday for a shoot for a client. Passed out bags and bags of ribs to everyone that came to the shoot. I also did some smoked sausages for another client. It was a LONG day. 9 hours of standing, shooting stills and taking vids. I feel pretty good today though. Last night my feet and back were a mess. 

TheFanatic said:
Grilled six slabs of ribs yesterday for a shoot for a client. Passed out bags and bags of ribs to everyone that came to the shoot. I also did some smoked sausages for another client. It was a LONG day. 9 hours of standing, shooting stills and taking vids. I feel pretty good today though. Last night my feet and back were a mess. 
What is your smoked sausage recipe?  Beef, pork, mixed? Which casings.

Made some blueberry muffin fatties using @TheFanatic's recipe at Grillin Fools. I've heard of stuffing them with blueberry muffin before, but didn't put much thought in it until I saw it on his site. Seeing the "piston" contraption got me thinking... I have a sushi bazooka that works great with sushi, so I thought I'd give it a try with a fatty. Unlike the piston that turned the muffin into a cylinder, I put the sausage and stuffing into the bazooka (they way you're supposed to use rice and the inside filling). Turned out to be my favorite way to make a fatty yet. They turned out smaller (diameter) than any fatty I've ever made or tried, which made them even better IMO. I like pork sausage, but sometimes it overwhelms the flavor of the ingredients. Not so with this method. 

I doubt I'll ever made a fatty any other way again. 

Edit to add pics: 

Finished Fatty (I wanted to add a bacon weaver but ran out of time)

Going into the bazooka (these were my first batch... jalapeno, onion, red pepper, honey glazed sliced almonds)

Some ribs I made yesterday because rib pictures are always fun

Last edited by a moderator:
Bags of ribs?
I gave 2 bags of ribs each, one bag sauced, one bag rubbed to my videographer, my dad, and my old neighbor who all helped in the video shoot. I took two bags as well. One came to work to feed the coworkers and one stayed in my fridge. You know, ziplock bags full of grilled ribs. 

Working on menu for our collaboration dinner at Cuchi Suco in Ecuador in a few weeks. 

I think we are settling into a theme that highlights some regional tastes: 

Shoulder Sandwich: South Carolina Style (my mustard sauce w/ slaw)  
Beef Brisket: Texas style w available vinegar sauce
Baby back Ribs: Memphis Competition Style

“Mixon’s” Baked Beans - Alabama Style 
“Bash’s” Bread Pudding - Georgia Style 

We need one additional side dish for the prix fixe dinner platter… Mac & cheese is out because it’s very expensive down there, greens are out because of the local palate, cold potato salad is not an option because he ‘d prefer a hot side…

Talk to me

We need one additional side dish for the prix fixe dinner platter… Mac & cheese is out because it’s very expensive down there, greens are out because of the local palate, cold potato salad is not an option because he ‘d prefer a hot side…

Talk to me
Guinea Pig.  "Cuy"

Working on menu for our collaboration dinner at Cuchi Suco in Ecuador in a few weeks. 

Talk to me
Some kind of grilled corn on the cob? Just straight up butter salt and pepper or Mexican style. 

Made some blueberry muffin fatties using @TheFanatic's recipe at Grillin Fools. I've heard of stuffing them with blueberry muffin before, but didn't put much thought in it until I saw it on his site. Seeing the "piston" contraption got me thinking... I have a sushi bazooka that works great with sushi, so I thought I'd give it a try with a fatty. Unlike the piston that turned the muffin into a cylinder, I put the sausage and stuffing into the bazooka (they way you're supposed to use rice and the inside filling). Turned out to be my favorite way to make a fatty yet. They turned out smaller (diameter) than any fatty I've ever made or tried, which made them even better IMO. I like pork sausage, but sometimes it overwhelms the flavor of the ingredients. Not so with this method. 

I doubt I'll ever made a fatty any other way again. 

Edit to add pics: 

Finished Fatty (I wanted to add a bacon weaver but ran out of time)

Going into the bazooka (these were my first batch... jalapeno, onion, red pepper, honey glazed sliced almonds)

Some ribs I made yesterday because rib pictures are always fun
I think I need one of those bazookas! I think a thinner fatty is a better fatty. Should we call them slim fatties?

In the Andean mountains of Ecuador, guinea pigs aren't treated as cuddly companions; they're bred, boiled and deep-fried for dinner. Guinea pig or Cuy as it is called in South America is a local delicacy that's unique to the highlands of Peru, Bolivia and Ecuador.
:shrug:

Talk to me
What about a cornbread? 

Guinea Pig.  "Cuy"
No chance I want to risk attempting to cook their local delicacy for them. We are Americans being brought in to cook American stuff 😂 

Some kind of grilled corn on the cob? Just straight up butter salt and pepper or Mexican style. 
We mentioned this... it’s a staple there. Roberto kinda joked about the idea of Gringos coming down to share our take on Mexican grilled corn with them. I’ve talked an off-cob “salad” style version I’ve done that works in American bbq style. 

What about a cornbread? 
I actually suggested a spoonbread / molasses bread version of cornbread. He owns a large Artisanal bakery, so this idea is valid. 

So it is Labor Day weekend. What is everyone cooking for the unofficial end of summer? I'm doing ribs tonight to break in the new Green Mountain and hitting a steak house tomorrow but have no idea what I'm doing Sunday and Monday. 

So it is Labor Day weekend. What is everyone cooking for the unofficial end of summer? I'm doing ribs tonight to break in the new Green Mountain and hitting a steak house tomorrow but have no idea what I'm doing Sunday and Monday. 
I'm doing sausages tomorrow and either chicken or pork chops Sunday as we defrost meat that we'll probably lose next week when a ####### Cat4 comes barreling up the coast. 

High heat brisket

I do mine slightly different on the wsm. I do fat side up for first 2 to 2.5 hours to get a crust on the pretty side.  Then I flip it over and put it in a large alum pan with sliced vidalia onions on top and 8oz or so beer. At the 4 hour mark I'll add a little more beer and foil over the pan.

Cook till probe slides thru. Take off and slice off part of point if available for burnt ends. 

Foil brisket and let rest before slicing 
Got a 12 pound brisket gonna try this high heat method tomorrow

How long do you guys smoke chicken thighs for?  I wanted dark quarters, but the store was out.  I want to experiment with Alabama white sauce.

How long do you guys smoke chicken thighs for?  I wanted dark quarters, but the store was out.  I want to experiment with Alabama white sauce.
Dry Brine + higher temp (300)  for roughly 90 mins. Check internal temp after 60 and go from there. Higher temp gives crisper skin.

I did a whole chicken today on the WSM tonight rubbed with fresh rosemary, sage, butter, salt and pepper.

Such an easy, quick smoke and so flipping good. 

Tomorrow I’m going to give the high heat brisket a shot  

Got the brisket going, this thing is too big for my smoker so I’ve kind of got the flat end curled up over itself.  We’ll see what happens, I assume I won’t get bark in that area but hopefully cooks fine

i probably could have split it and done the point on the bottom rack and the flat on the top but I already had it rubbed and tossed it on the grill

also just hovering around 300, I know the hot smoke called for 350.  Still pretty early though and no set time to eat so I think I’ll be in good shape.

sorry no before picks but I’ll definitely get some after

Update: ran to the store to get something to flavor the green beans

decided to use some salt pork and kept a few little strips to throw on the smoker as a snack 

will report back 

also peeked at the brisket it’s looking pretty nice

at 156 degrees so hopefully hit 170 in another hour or so then I’ll pull and foil with some beef broth and onions 

Planning on grilling up a thick bone-in ribeye I found at costco yesterday.   Wife noticed some babyback ribs on sale at the grocery this morning (picking up ingredients for her hand made chinese dumplings) ...so I guess it is going to be a busy day out on the grill.

Wife being a pain in the ###, so me and the boys are cooking out tonight.  It's a holiday.  I mowed and did land scaping on Saturday and Sunday.

3 Ribeyes  just under 16 oz. each (salt / pepper and sear then on the grill for 2/3 each side)......and hopefully medium rare (or as my son says "if you eff up, medium").

twice baked potatoes

stuffed mushroom caps (crab)

caesar salad

corn on the cob.

Strawberries and Ice Cream for desert.

Margaritas for me and the older, younger can have lime ade and pretend.

And then a little CFS on TV.

Just before foiling and the salt pork appetizer

pretty damn tasty but a little too salty to eat a lot
Final product

i think I overcooked it a bit, some of the fattier parts of the point were fabulous but the flat end was a bit dry

still beats getting up at 4 AM but I think if I did it that way again I’d try to keep it closer to 300 throughout the cook (average was probably closer to 350)

i also should have checked it sooner/more often when I foiled

still came out good though and I’ll do some various things with the leftovers (Sandwiches, tacos, etc)

also gave some to my neighbor and he said it was great so maybe I’m just being too tough on myself :lol:

Dry Brine + higher temp (300)  for roughly 90 mins. Check internal temp after 60 and go from there. Higher temp gives crisper skin.
I cooked at about 250 for a couple hours...no brine though  Look really good....will let you know after I cut into them.
They were good...would have been better if my wife hadn't foiled them and put them in the oven (off) to keep them "warm"...skin got soft and chewy after that.

Final product

i think I overcooked it a bit, some of the fattier parts of the point were fabulous but the flat end was a bit dry

still beats getting up at 4 AM but I think if I did it that way again I’d try to keep it closer to 300 throughout the cook (average was probably closer to 350)

i also should have checked it sooner/more often when I foiled

still came out good though and I’ll do some various things with the leftovers (Sandwiches, tacos, etc)

also gave some to my neighbor and he said it was great so maybe I’m just being too tough on myself :lol:
Nice. That looks great. 

I did a brisket this weekend and was thinking about the high heat method.  To me, there's nothing worse than knowing that your guests will be arriving soon and the meat still isn't done.  So, if I did the high heat, I still would have started at 5AM to ensure that it was done in time. 

Instead, I did start low and slow (225) at midnight.  I have FlameBoss, so I thought I'd be good to sleep all night, but I'm still learning my kamado and it took a few bleary eyed adjustments of the top vent to find the sweet spot.  After all of that, brisket turned out great.  I did burnt ends with the point, but didn't get that hot enough. Good news is that even underdone point is still tasty so they disappeared.

I'll try the high heat sometime soon. 

Planning on grilling up a thick bone-in ribeye I found at costco yesterday.   Wife noticed some babyback ribs on sale at the grocery this morning (picking up ingredients for her hand made chinese dumplings) ...so I guess it is going to be a busy day out on the grill.
Ended up deferring the ribeye till today as I filled up on dumplings while smoking the ribs 🐷

Here is a before pic of the battle station (Came out perfect but forgot an after pic)

I figure this is the best place to post this, so bear with me guys. It’s been a rough 24 hours, and really with the way the last ten days or so have gone it’s not surprising. 

I have a problem. It’s really been coming for awhile, and as time has gone on it has become worse for me and my family. There have been times where it has caused a rift between my wife and I. But it got serious last night. And I didn’t even see it coming, which scared the living hell out of me.

This is really hard to post and admit something that I guess I knew was coming but was afraid to confront. So here it is:

I forgot about the holiday Kingsford charcoal sale. I sat straight up in bed at 9:00 last night in a cold sweat. I had even smoked ribs yesterday and didn’t notice I was down to my last bag. Guys - I haven’t missed this sale as far as I can remember. As we all know, this is the last opportunity before next May to stock up for the long winter.

I broke down guys - my wife looked at me as if somebody died. And in a way - somebody did. Me.

That’s a rookie mistake boys. That’s what man bun guy does. That’s what skinny jeans and vaper guy does. Not Me. ME!!!

I went to work this morning and wondered. In desperation, I checked online to see if the deal was still available anywhere. Nope. The Lowe’s website had “No Stock Available within 100 Miles.” I was crushed, thinking about how I would have to pay full ####### price all winter when I wanted to grill or smoke. The thought of THAT pissed me off, and I knew I would be pissed off every time I opened a new bag of full priced charcoal all winter.

But, I gathered myself and did what man bun guy WOULDN’T do. I went to the store anyway. I walk in, and I see a pallet. It’s hidden behind pallets of Halloween decorations. 

“####” I say to myself. But I keep walking. Lo and behold there are 5 of the double bags laying there - teasing me. But no price sign.

My hopes sink, knowing they probably pulled the sign since the sale surely ended yesterday. I scoot toward the front door, frantically looking for the sale flyer that is always by the front door. I find one, and sure enough on the front page is the sale. I hold my breath seeming for hours - scanning to and fro over the page for the expiration date.

SEPTEMBER 4, 2019!!!!!!!!

I literally come in my relaxed fit Levi’s, grab a cart, and load those 5 beautiful double bags into my cart. I survived.

And now guys, I need your help. I need a charcoal sponsor. I turned 50 on August 22. I am getting old, and this won’t be my last misstep I’m afraid. If one of you, anyone, can please PM me at the beginning of each holiday charcoal sale period, I would be most appreciative. 

Help me. I don’t ever wanna be man bun guy again.

I figure this is the best place to post this, so bear with me guys. It’s been a rough 24 hours, and really with the way the last ten days or so have gone it’s not surprising. 

I have a problem. It’s really been coming for awhile, and as time has gone on it has become worse for me and my family. There have been times where it has caused a rift between my wife and I. But it got serious last night. And I didn’t even see it coming, which scared the living hell out of me.

This is really hard to post and admit something that I guess I knew was coming but was afraid to confront. So here it is:

I forgot about the holiday Kingsford charcoal sale. I sat straight up in bed at 9:00 last night in a cold sweat. I had even smoked ribs yesterday and didn’t notice I was down to my last bag. Guys - I haven’t missed this sale as far as I can remember. As we all know, this is the last opportunity before next May to stock up for the long winter.

I broke down guys - my wife looked at me as if somebody died. And in a way - somebody did. Me.

That’s a rookie mistake boys. That’s what man bun guy does. That’s what skinny jeans and vaper guy does. Not Me. ME!!!

I went to work this morning and wondered. In desperation, I checked online to see if the deal was still available anywhere. Nope. The Lowe’s website had “No Stock Available within 100 Miles.” I was crushed, thinking about how I would have to pay full ####### price all winter when I wanted to grill or smoke. The thought of THAT pissed me off, and I knew I would be pissed off every time I opened a new bag of full priced charcoal all winter.

But, I gathered myself and did what man bun guy WOULDN’T do. I went to the store anyway. I walk in, and I see a pallet. It’s hidden behind pallets of Halloween decorations. 

“####” I say to myself. But I keep walking. Lo and behold there are 5 of the double bags laying there - teasing me. But no price sign.

My hopes sink, knowing they probably pulled the sign since the sale surely ended yesterday. I scoot toward the front door, frantically looking for the sale flyer that is always by the front door. I find one, and sure enough on the front page is the sale. I hold my breath seeming for hours - scanning to and fro over the page for the expiration date.

SEPTEMBER 4, 2019!!!!!!!!

I literally come in my relaxed fit Levi’s, grab a cart, and load those 5 beautiful double bags into my cart. I survived.

And now guys, I need your help. I need a charcoal sponsor. I turned 50 on August 22. I am getting old, and this won’t be my last misstep I’m afraid. If one of you, anyone, can please PM me at the beginning of each holiday charcoal sale period, I would be most appreciative. 

Help me. I don’t ever wanna be man bun guy again.
I know the PR firms that Kingsford uses and they hired me to create different videos for them over the next month and all they sent me were two 7.7 lb bags of charcoal. I bought 6 more out of my pocket. 

That being said, if you have a reasonably successful competition team, I can put you in touch with the people at Fogo, B&B or Rockwood to sponsor you. 

I know the PR firms that Kingsford uses and they hired me to create different videos for them over the next month and all they sent me were two 7.7 lb bags of charcoal. I bought 6 more out of my pocket. 

That being said, if you have a reasonably successful competition team, I can put you in touch with the people at Fogo, B&B or Rockwood to sponsor you. 
:lol:

No, not that kind of sponsor, though I appreciate the offer. Just someone to PM me 3 times a year to remind me to go buy charcoal since I'm getting old and forgetful. 

So I grilled on my Green Mountain Grill for the first time on Saturday. Got two slabs of ribs on the cheap at the local grocery and was filming for four hours to create some content for them. Finally, the bones are showing about a half inch, but there's not a great amount of flex in the ribs. F it. I was hungry. I hit record on the cam on the tripod and slice into one of the slabs. Nice and juicy, wonderful smoke ring, excellent bark, and then I take a bite. The bite is clean, perfect for competition ribs which is what I prefer. One problem. I had to fight to get that bite away from the rest of the rib.

Who boy were those ribs tough. I call my dad to tell him how bad these ribs are. He asks what kind. I tell him, "All Natural something or other."

He says, "Baby backs that are abnormally long."

I think back and remember having to go to a bigger cutting board than my standard rib board. "Yeah, now that you mention it, they were abnormally long." 

My dad laughs, "I meant to warn you about those. I had a slab of those earlier in the summer. They were the worst ribs I've ever had. I checked a couple local grilling forums and everyone says they are trash. And now that it's Labor Day <unammed grocery store chain> is blowing them out at $1.99/lb to get rid of them."

So my inaugural cook on my new Green Mountain was wrecked by some terrible ribs. Everything else about them looked great. The flavor was great. I coated them with gochajong (korean chili paste) before applying the rub. Smoke ring looked goo. They were juicy. But they were sooooo tough. I threw them all away. I need to get a couple more slabs and get back after it to not only get my rib fix taken care of but to redeem that beautiful GMG. 

:lol:

No, not that kind of sponsor, though I appreciate the offer. Just someone to PM me 3 times a year to remind me to go buy charcoal since I'm getting old and forgetful. 
Oh, well, I'm not sure I can help you there. I'm in a similar boat in terms of the age and forgetful thing

So I grilled on my Green Mountain Grill for the first time on Saturday. Got two slabs of ribs on the cheap at the local grocery and was filming for four hours to create some content for them. Finally, the bones are showing about a half inch, but there's not a great amount of flex in the ribs. F it. I was hungry. I hit record on the cam on the tripod and slice into one of the slabs. Nice and juicy, wonderful smoke ring, excellent bark, and then I take a bite. The bite is clean, perfect for competition ribs which is what I prefer. One problem. I had to fight to get that bite away from the rest of the rib.

Who boy were those ribs tough. I call my dad to tell him how bad these ribs are. He asks what kind. I tell him, "All Natural something or other."

He says, "Baby backs that are abnormally long."

I think back and remember having to go to a bigger cutting board than my standard rib board. "Yeah, now that you mention it, they were abnormally long." 

My dad laughs, "I meant to warn you about those. I had a slab of those earlier in the summer. They were the worst ribs I've ever had. I checked a couple local grilling forums and everyone says they are trash. And now that it's Labor Day <unammed grocery store chain> is blowing them out at $1.99/lb to get rid of them."

So my inaugural cook on my new Green Mountain was wrecked by some terrible ribs. Everything else about them looked great. The flavor was great. I coated them with gochajong (korean chili paste) before applying the rub. Smoke ring looked goo. They were juicy. But they were sooooo tough. I threw them all away. I need to get a couple more slabs and get back after it to not only get my rib fix taken care of but to redeem that beautiful GMG. 
The peril of cooking baby backs. Can't believe the marketers have convinced people they're better or even equal to spare ribs.

Users who are viewing this thread