What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Lord Stanley's Cup Playoff Thread: Getzlaf 15 charges four game 6 tickets, a limo, and five steak sandwiches to Cav's room. FBG CORNHOLE A (2 Viewers)

Who wins the 2017 Stanley Cup playoffs?

• Capitals

Votes: 31 23.8%
  • Penguins

Votes: 25 19.2%
  • Habitants

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Rangers

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • Bruins

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Senators

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Blue Jackets

• Blackhawks

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • Predators

Votes: 14 10.8%
  • Blues

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Wild

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • Flames

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sharks

• Oilers

• Ducks

Votes: 6 4.6%

• Total voters
Of course hitting isn't bad, but it's not as important as moving your feet in your own end, winning battles along the boards, and making sure that you take care of your responsibilities on the back check. And yeah, I think that he, and anyone else for that matter, should be in there trying to bang in rebounds or deflect shots when need be in a game 7. Not as his designated location on set plays on the PP of course, but watching him he doesn't seem to want to be as physical as he can be, except on his own terms.

As far as "turning into Superman?" Well, he's a first ballot HOF-level player, and yeah, I expect those guys to elevate their game in the playoffs and carry their teams when that is necessary. And he hasn't to this point. He hasn't even consistently been the best guy on his own team in those situations the last few years IMO.
To me, the only place you ever seen to see him on offense is on the left dot waiting for someone to ship him the puck for a slap shot. (Crosby used to take some abuse from Mark Madden for hanging out on the half wall during the PP, but I've noticed he doesn't do that nearly as much.) Perhaps I don't pay enough attention to 8's game. :shrug:  

I also agree that it seems like he has no reservations about laying a hit, and seems reluctant to want to take one. The perception among some *cough* DON CHERRY *cough* is that European players don't seem as "motivated" to play for a Stanley Cup. I think that's biased, but 8's body language leads me to think that perhaps he has some confidence issues in that he sees Pittsburgh and his heart melts like wax. Thing is, he's super talented and could win a cup; I just think he's the Karl Malone of the NHL - a very good player who had the misfortune of having a career at the same time as someone just as good with a better team around him.

I may also be talking out of my hat, so there's that...

Of course hitting isn't bad, but it's not as important as moving your feet in your own end, winning battles along the boards, and making sure that you take care of your responsibilities on the back check. And yeah, I think that he, and anyone else for that matter, should be in there trying to bang in rebounds or deflect shots when need be in a game 7. Not as his designated location on set plays on the PP of course, but watching him he doesn't seem to want to be as physical as he can be, except on his own terms.

As far as "turning into Superman?" Well, he's a first ballot HOF-level player, and yeah, I expect those guys to elevate their game in the playoffs and carry their teams when that is necessary. And he hasn't to this point. He hasn't even consistently been the best guy on his own team in those situations the last few years IMO.
again, he's not that player.  he's a wing for Christ sake, his defense isn't even going to have much impact regardless.  having some diatribe focused on one lazy play in a game that itself was rather sloppy and had countless turnovers as a way to sum up an entire career is ridiculous.  he's there to score goals/points.  and he's done that.  he's not going to turn into some impact two way guy just because it's the playoffs. he's not even the same guy at this point.  still very good but guys with his game slow down quickly on the wrong side of 30 and he's there now.

did people whine this much about Brett Hull too?  

To me, the only place you ever seen to see him on offense is on the left dot waiting for someone to ship him the puck for a slap shot. (Crosby used to take some abuse from Mark Madden for hanging out on the half wall during the PP, but I've noticed he doesn't do that nearly as much.) Perhaps I don't pay enough attention to 8's game. :shrug:  

I also agree that it seems like he has no reservations about laying a hit, and seems reluctant to want to take one. The perception among some *cough* DON CHERRY *cough* is that European players don't seem as "motivated" to play for a Stanley Cup. I think that's biased, but 8's body language leads me to think that perhaps he has some confidence issues in that he sees Pittsburgh and his heart melts like wax. Thing is, he's super talented and could win a cup; I just think he's the Karl Malone of the NHL - a very good player who had the misfortune of having a career at the same time as someone just as good with a better team around him.

I don't know that I'd say that Crosby has a better team around him than Ovechkin at this point, particularly this year with all of the injuries. Early in their careers, sure. But not the last two years.

again, he's not that player.  he's a wing for Christ sake, his defense isn't even going to have much impact regardless.  having some diatribe focused on one lazy play in a game that itself was rather sloppy and had countless turnovers as a way to sum up an entire career is ridiculous.  he's there to score goals/points.  and he's done that.  he's not going to turn into some impact two way guy just because it's the playoffs. he's not even the same guy at this point.  still very good but guys with his game slow down quickly on the wrong side of 30 and he's there now.

40 points in 60 games over the last 5 playoffs he's played in. Elite scorer?  :no:  And it's about far more than one play last night. It's worth discussing IMO. Disagreeing isn't always whining.

Paul Kariya in a Ducks uniform again. Pretty Shocking

So after every game, a former Ducks player has painted an "X" on a number as they countdown the number of wins needed to win the Cup.

Just now, the Ducks posted Kariya helping a Make-A-Wish Kid  "X" out #9.

Pretty amazing as for years now, the Ducks have tried to reach out to get him involved and he's refused.  Teemu being quoted as saying he's bitter at the NHL for not doing much to prevent all the concussions he had, and also the fallout he had with the Ducks when he left.

It was really cool a few wins ago when they had the family of Ruslan Salei paint the X. He tragically passed away a few years ago.

Paul Kariya in a Ducks uniform again. Pretty Shocking

So after every game, a former Ducks player has painted an "X" on a number as they countdown the number of wins needed to win the Cup.

Just now, the Ducks posted Kariya helping a Make-A-Wish Kid  "X" out #9.

Pretty amazing as for years now, the Ducks have tried to reach out to get him involved and he's refused.  Teemu being quoted as saying he's bitter at the NHL for not doing much to prevent all the concussions he had, and also the fallout he had with the Ducks when he left.

It was really cool a few wins ago when they had the family of Ruslan Salei paint the X. He tragically passed away a few years ago.
Wearing  this  under his Ducks gear?

Last edited by a moderator:
40 points in 60 games over the last 5 playoffs he's played in. Elite scorer?  :no:  And it's about far more than one play last night. It's worth discussing IMO. Disagreeing isn't always whining.
36th all time in goals created per game (0.380) in his playoff career (minimum of 200 goals and 300 assists in career).  5 slots behind Malkin and 11 behind Crosby.  yes, that is elite. 

the problem is he's been compared to Crosby his whole career which first of all is an apples to oranges comparison and even if you want to make it it's not even close.  not even close to the same kind of player.  he's not going to "put a team on his back" nor is he the type of player that can do that or is in a position to.  but people get some hot take to #### on him every time the Caps lose because he's the face of the franchise.  he's a one dimensional complimentary player, especially at this point in his career.  people need to stop making him into something he's not.

Big fan, big fan.

36th all time in goals created per game (0.380) in his playoff career (minimum of 200 goals and 300 assists in career).  5 slots behind Malkin and 11 behind Crosby.  yes, that is elite. 

the problem is he's been compared to Crosby his whole career which first of all is an apples to oranges comparison and even if you want to make it it's not even close.  not even close to the same kind of player.  he's not going to "put a team on his back" nor is he the type of player that can do that or is in a position to.  but people get some hot take to #### on him every time the Caps lose because he's the face of the franchise.  he's a one dimensional complimentary player, especially at this point in his career.  people need to stop making him into something he's not.
Yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree. IMO the buck eventually has to stop somewhere with a very talented team that continually disappoints, and he's the guy wearing the "C" and the face of the franchise.  :shrug:

Yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree. IMO the buck eventually has to stop somewhere with a very talented team that continually disappoints, and he's the guy wearing the "C" and the face of the franchise.  :shrug:
:lmao: , rock red says it's your fault!

I can't wait for you to #### on Mike Fisher if the Preds lose since he has zero points this postseason.  or maybe he won't count because their marketing department/market doesn't load up on him for espn and pens blog features so there is no "face".  but he has that C you know, buck has to stop somewhere. 

DC talk radio has been droning on all day about how Ovechkin is to blame.  Hockey and baseball are team sports and one player does not make the difference, especially one that is skilled in a specific way like Ovechkin.  Crosby has won two cups, was it his fault they not win all the other years? Mario has two cups, he was one of the best players ever and played with several HOFers.  Joe Thornton, Marcel Dionne and Jeremy Iginla have never won a cup, it's not their fault as individual players. 

The Caps are good enough to win the cup for sure.  They have just ran into the wrong team two consecutive years and both times they went seven games.  Had they lost to Ottawa or someone else then maybe people could go ape####, but the Caps are really good and really unfortunate.  It's really ####### hard to win the Stanley Cup, all the parts of your team have to be in perfect sync and you definitely need some bounces to go your way. 

Maybe Ovechkin can give up the C but outside of that he's not going to get traded because no one wants that contract, and he's still one of the best powerplay guys in the league and an offensive juggernaut.  I think his career and Jamir Jagr's career are almost mirrors of each other, and Jagr won his cups playing with Mario.  Jagr is probably a top 20 all-time player, Ovi is in that range as well.  I think it's a huge overreaction, in this case the Caps just have to accept that sports aren't fair.  It's not because they weren't good enough, it's because it's hockey and the team they played was a little better/luckier than they were this year. 

DC talk radio has been droning on all day about how Ovechkin is to blame.  Hockey and baseball are team sports and one player does not make the difference, especially one that is skilled in a specific way like Ovechkin.  Crosby has won two cups, was it his fault they not win all the other years? Mario has two cups, he was one of the best players ever and played with several HOFers.  Joe Thornton, Marcel Dionne and Jeremy Iginla have never won a cup, it's not their fault as individual players. 

The Caps are good enough to win the cup for sure.  They have just ran into the wrong team two consecutive years and both times they went seven games.  Had they lost to Ottawa or someone else then maybe people could go ape####, but the Caps are really good and really unfortunate.  It's really ####### hard to win the Stanley Cup, all the parts of your team have to be in perfect sync and you definitely need some bounces to go your way. 

Maybe Ovechkin can give up the C but outside of that he's not going to get traded because no one wants that contract, and he's still one of the best powerplay guys in the league and an offensive juggernaut.  I think his career and Jamir Jagr's career are almost mirrors of each other, and Jagr won his cups playing with Mario.  Jagr is probably a top 20 all-time player, Ovi is in that range as well.  I think it's a huge overreaction, in this case the Caps just have to accept that sports aren't fair.  It's not because they weren't good enough, it's because it's hockey and the team they played was a little better/luckier than they were this year. 
Very nice post

exactly.  needed more sarcasm and jack burton references though. 

Jeremy :lmao:  forgot about that

Last edited by a moderator:

One of the writers I follow is adamant that the Caps are going to blow everything up and that Ovechkin could be in play for Vegas. I'll believe it when I see it though.

And yes, :goodposting:

I mean why does there always have to be a goat when a team loses in the playoffs? The Caps outplayed the Pens for a good chunk of the series but we all know that anything can happen in a game 7 do-or-die.  If anything, we should just give credit to the Pens for capitalizing when they needed to.   :shrug:  

I mean why does there always have to be a goat when a team loses in the playoffs? The Caps outplayed the Pens for a good chunk of the series but we all know that anything can happen in a game 7 do-or-die.  If anything, we should just give credit to the Pens for capitalizing when they needed to.   :shrug:  
Exactly. Any attempts to paint the Caps as "chokers" only takes away from what the Penguins have accomplished each of the last two years.

One of the writers I follow is adamant that the Caps are going to blow everything up and that Ovechkin could be in play for Vegas. I'll believe it when I see it though.

And yes, :goodposting:
I could potentially see it to have a star attraction in Vegas, but they don't have anything to trade. :lol:  

Funny thing is that if the Caps won the series, the Pittsburgh "fans" would have blamed the refs, or the ice, or anything else they could think of instead of accepting that they just lost.

Draft pick(s)? Do you take Ovie over the No. 6 overall pick right now? Future (likely top 10) picks over the next couple of years?
Maybe give up the 6 but nothing more, as an expansion team it would be hard to do that IMO. But in a supposed weak draft maybe you do it just to get that star appeal quick on your team, with that contract I wouldn't go crazy giving up assets. Interesting idea nonetheless. 

Maybe give up the 6 but nothing more, as an expansion team it would be hard to do that IMO. But in a supposed weak draft maybe you do it just to get that star appeal quick on your team, with that contract I wouldn't go crazy giving up assets. Interesting idea nonetheless. 
I assume the expansion team has to meet the same cap floor as everyone else, as well.

Funny thing is that if the Caps won the series, the Pittsburgh "fans" would have blamed the refs, or the ice, or anything else they could think of instead of accepting that they just lost.
Yup that is funny especially because almost every Pens fan in here credited the Caps as the better team going into game 7.  But nice of you to generalize.........

Pens played better in games 2 and 7 but the other games the Caps were better IMO.  You have to win that game two or the game 4 when Crosby was out, so they don't have any excuse.  I don't like the Pens at all and I certainly don't want them to be the first team since Detroit to repeat, but Caps fans have to tip their cap.  I tipped my cap to the Avs all those years as a Wings fan, Caps fans should do the same.  The Pens are really good, no shame in losing to them but I understand it really ####### hurts.  Caps are the Detroit Tigers of hockey, I know what the fans are feeling.

Division Ship:

Metropolitan
M1 Washington vs M2 Pittsburgh ; 4-3

Atlantic
A2 Ottawa vs WC1 New York Rangers ; 4-2

Central
C3 Blame Elliotts vs WC2 Nashville ; 4-1

Pacific
P1 Anaheim vs P2 Edmonton ; 4-2
Conference Ship:

East:

M2 Pittsburgh vs A2 Ottawa ; 4-1