What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Minnesota Vikings 2016 Season Thread (1 Viewer)

Here's some info on a few players the Vikings signed after the draft.....

The Minnesota Vikings announced on Monday they've agreed to terms with 10 undrafted free agents. Here's a closer look at each player:

Keith Baxter, CB, Marshall: The 5-foot-11 corner flashed impressive athleticism at his pro day, running a 4.39 40 and posting a 37 1/2-inch vertical. He intercepted three passes in his career at Marshall, while breaking up eight others.

Kyle Carter, TE, Penn State: He had his best season as a freshman, when he caught 36 passes for 453 yards, but saw his production decline over the next three years as he struggled with dropped passes. The 6-foot-3 tight end is seen as a good route runner who can eat up space in zone coverage, but needs work as a blocker.

Theiren Cockran, DE, Minnesota: He earned All-Big Ten honorable mention after a senior season in which he posted 26 tackles, including seven for loss. He's a hard worker who had some success as a pass rusher, but might not have the speed and flexibility to produce consistently in the NFL.

Jake Ganus, LB, Georgia: Ganus is an undersized (6-foot-2, 233 pounds) linebacker, but he led the Bulldogs in tackles with 102 last season, while making five for loss. He transferred to Georgia for his senior season, after playing three years at Alabama-Birmingham. During his best season there, Ganus posted six sacks and 17 1/2 tackles for loss as a junior.

Marken Michel, WR, UMass-Amherst: The 5-foot-10 receiver projects as a slot-type player after catching 31 passes for 370 yards last season. He also posted seven carries for 46 yards, and had 19 carries for 115 yards and a pair of touchdowns as a junior.

Denzell Perine, DE, Florida International: He's only 6-foot-3 and 245 pounds, and had his speed (a 4.81-second 40 time) been better, he likely would've received more attention in the draft. But Perine was still a productive player in college, posting 10 1/2 tackles for loss and 4 1/2 sacks.

Jhurell Pressley, RB, New Mexico: This might be one of the more intriguing players in the Vikings' rookie free-agent class. He ran a 4.38-second 40-yard dash at his pro day, and put up 25 repetitions of 225 pounds in the bench press. He struggled with drops in college, and he'll have to learn how to hit holes effectively as an NFL running back, but he could be worth a long look this spring and summer.

Eric Rawls, CB, Kentucky State: Vikings general manager Rick Spielman talked about how the team looks for big corners who might be able to shift to safety in the NFL, and Rawls might fit that mold. At 6-foot-2 and 195 pounds, he's got the size to make the shift in the NFL, and he had played some safety as a freshman at Kentucky State. Should the Vikings decide they want to try Rawls at that position, he could be worth a look there.

Brandon Ross, RB, Maryland: Much like Pressley, he comes in with a history of making some explosive plays; he averaged 6.4 yards per carry as a senior at Maryland, and scored 10 touchdowns on 150 carries. A teammate of Vikings receiver Stefon Diggs at Maryland, Ross had a combined 418 yards in two games against Indiana and Rutgers.

Joel Stave, QB, Wisconsin: He was an enigma at Wisconsin, losing his job as a junior after dealing with a case of the yips, only to return and lead the Badgers to the Big Ten West title over Minnesota that year. At 6-foot-5 and 236 pounds, with 10 3/4-inch hands, he has ideal size for the position, but he'll need to improve his ability to read defenses and his decision-making if he wants to stick with the Vikings.

Vikings didn't excersize there 5th year option on Patterson.  I am wondering if they should trade him with another team that didn't exercise their option on a  their former first rounder.  Ie Jon Baldwin  for AJ Jefferson.  How about Patterson for Chance Warmack or DJ Hayden?  Change on scenery might help.

Vikings didn't excersize there 5th year option on Patterson.  I am wondering if they should trade him with another team that didn't exercise their option on a  their former first rounder.  Ie Jon Baldwin  for AJ Jefferson.  How about Patterson for Chance Warmack or DJ Hayden?  Change on scenery might help.
I was also thinking about that too.  I'd think that they might try that come August instead of now perhaps?

Alexander's press conference:

"This is me. Imagine me on game day."

:lmao:

Love this kid. Can't wait to see him on the field. Will be interesting to see if he really does become the best corner in this draft class and has everyone who overlooked him regretting it.

Interesting that Mettenberger is being released by the Titans. I seem to recall he had a checkered past and I thought he came off a bit goofy in interviews when researching him for dynasty rookie draft. However, IMHO his skills could be a decent fit for what Turner would like to do on offense (i.e. a fearless vertical passer) and he might fit the bill as a promising low-cost young guy who could benefit from a little Norv whispering. Warrior mentality aside, is Philip Rivers a bad comparison for his physical abilities?  

So will the Vikings keep 4 guys on the roster this year?  Depth chart shows.......... Kyle Rudolph, MyCole Pruitt, Rhett Ellison, David Morgan, Brian Leonhardt, Kyle Carter.  Hate to see Morgan put on practice squad for fear of someone else grabbing him.

From listening to the cold omaha podcast Andy Arif and Luke, they are talking about how Morgan is a great blocker but sloooow. He is likely a replacement for Rhett Ellison who is recovering from a patella injury and might be on the PUP list to start the season. Morgan will possibly push Zach Line for FB responsibilities if Ellison is healthy enough to play ahead of him. So the order of them making the team is pretty much the order that you listed these guys in I think. They will keep 3 or 4 of them. The last two guys are likely practice squad candidates, taking similar roles as Chase Ford has had in the past. A practice squad receiving TE the Vikings might bring up to the 53 man roster if there was an injury to Rudolph or Priuitt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that Mettenberger is being released by the Titans. I seem to recall he had a checkered past and I thought he came off a bit goofy in interviews when researching him for dynasty rookie draft. However, IMHO his skills could be a decent fit for what Turner would like to do on offense (i.e. a fearless vertical passer) and he might fit the bill as a promising low-cost young guy who could benefit from a little Norv whispering. Warrior mentality aside, is Philip Rivers a bad comparison for his physical abilities?  
Man Zach Mettenberger was mocked to the Vikings a lot because of how he was seen as a fit for Norv's offense.

I watched more of Mettenberger than I wanted to because of this.

He does have a big arm but his pocket awareness is poor. He also has terrible ball placement accuracy. This is part of why Odell Beckham and Jarvis Landry got to make so many circus catches, sometimes having to go through defenders to do so, because of really off target passes.

These WRs had low productivity in college in part because of Mettenbergers limitations (risks).

I am not against him as a back up QB. I was very against him being a 1st or 2nd round pick as was being suggested he might be in the pre draft process. He went in round 6 which seemed more appropriate to the level of talent he has.

The non moves at QB somewhat suggest they still like Heinickey or however you spell his name as the developmental QB for now.

Acquired Adrian Peterson on a 2-year Contract in Dynasty...

On a scale of 1-10, how important is it that I attempt to acquire Jerrick McKinnon? The McKinnon Owner has him on a 2-year Contract as well, and Contracts travel with Players in trades. I think AP absolutely has at least 1 'AP' Season left in him, possibly 2, but I wouldn't necessarily fight for 2018-2019 AP in Restricted Free Agency Auction...but I might fight for McKinnon, depending on what the Vikes do in the NFL Draft in 2017 and 2018...

My understanding is that McKinnon has developed to the point where he could potentially be an 'heir-apparent', so I'm aware that may have value in and of itself. Also, if Peterson were to get hurt, my understanding is that McKinnon could be relatively productive given the opportunity, and that has value as well. However, there's nothing quite like a healthy Peterson, from a productivity standpoint, and my understanding of Norv Turner is that as long as AP is healthy, Norv will absolutely run him into the ground...

...so, what say you, Vikings faithful? TIA, glll, peas...

I'd offer a second round pick for McKinnon. If its rejected, Id move on. He's nice to have, but not worth shipping out starting pieces. 

Hi nattanylion,

I am going to say something kind of controversial in regards to Peterson in that I think I have seen signs of him wearing down last season.

After the KC game Peterson talks about one of KC's defensive linemen. How strong he is. Peterson did not recall ever being hit so hard as this guy was bringing it (sorry forgot the name of the defender). Adrian Peterson seemed to be feeling himself from this experience, like these defenders are actually good coming as a surprise to him. He had his cape stepped on. He seemed to actually have some doubt in himself, just twinge of that doubt shone through in listening to Peterson, something I don't recall ever really noticing about him.

If you look at his game logs, he seemed to wear down in the second half of the season. He played against some very good defenses towards the end, yes, but that has not really stopped him before. 

Peterson's contract has him making something like 17 million dollars in 2017. I don't think the Vikings are going to pay him that. Especially if he doesn't perform better this season than he did last year. At 31 years old, I find it unlikely that his performance is going to improve significantly. The Vikings could always rework the contract, but Peterson is not the kind of guy to accept a pay cut. I think they may trade him to another team after this season unless he plays quite a bit better than he did last year.

I would still expect him to start somewhere next season if not with the Vikings. At age 32 however I would expect some decline. He may last a couple more years as a starter with declining numbers just because of how good he is and maybe be like Emmitt still doing ok until he is 34 or 35.

Jerrick McKinnon I think will have a larger role in the offense this season. So this may limit Peterson's opportunity somewhat even this year although Peterson will certainly be the man on 1st and 2nd downs. Peterson keeps saying he wants to be more involved in the passing game, but he still misses a lot in pass protection, although he can catch the ball pretty well Peterson doesn't always run the best routes.

McKinnon as a raw player didn't look so good on his routes as a rookie. But I noticed a lot of improvement from him in this area last year. Jet is getting better. I think he has surpassed Peterson already as a receiving RB. He is capable of being the feature RB for the Vikings and he just recently turned 24 years old. So in a scenario where Peterson is gone next year McKinnon will be 25 and still have some prime years of his career left.

The only problem with McKinnon is that he might be spelled by Asiata at the goal line and only be a between the 20's type of RB for the Vikings. Not that he can't get it done at the stripe. Jet has very powerful legs. Even Peterson praises McKinnons strength and athleticism. It just seems like Asiata is better in this specialized role. So that might be how that goes again in the future.

The Vikings will almost certainly add another good RB that Jet will have to compete with after Peterson moves on.

I hope this is helpful. I could see things going several different ways. Depending on the price I think both players are worth targeting in trades.

I am not sure how to scale or grade that one to 10. I guess six? McKinnon isn't necessarily a full handcuff to Peterson because he might not get the goal line looks.

Peterson was not on Pro Football Focus' top 101 players for 2016.....nor was he listed in the 10 that "just missed" the cut.

Biabreakable said:
The non moves at QB somewhat suggest they still like Heinickey or however you spell his name as the developmental QB for now.
Well, there was the move to sign Stave as an UDFA and presumably that is to compete with Heinicke for developmental QB. Unless Stave is just a pointless signing, that tells me QB3 is anything but a lock. Is there any doubt the Vikes could park Heinicke on the practice squad for the next decade without any fear of him being claimed by another NFL team? That just doesn't seem like the guy you put your time and energy into developing into a future NFL starting QB - which is what the goal should be for that roster spot IMHO. I get the feeling the Vikes use that spot in hopes of grooming some other team's future journeyman backup. What bothers me most is I had visions of the Vikes taking advantage of Turner years by Norv-whispering some gun slinger prospect who would be ours long after Norv rode off into the sunset. That this dream has become one UDFA pressing another UDFA in both 2015 and 2016 makes me want to throw up in my mouth.  

I'm actually a little surprised at your critique of Mettenberger at LSU. After all, he did pass for over 3000 yards his final year against SEC competition, had a 65% completion percentage and the rep of a gun slinger. OBJ and Landry each exceeded 1100 yards, and its hard to believe 2200 yards of receiving production was based on circus catches. Any event, it's hard to imagine either Heinicke/Stave is a better prospect than Mettenberger for a QB3.

I hate going back to this itch as if it is more important than all of the positive things going for the Vikings, but other NFL teams just seem to have better appreciation of the importance of succession planning at QB. The Patriots have Brady/Garoppolo and they still took a QB in the 3rd, in a season they didn't have a 1st no less. The Packers had Rodgers in his prime and still took Hundley in the 2015 5th. Raiders found their guy in Carr just 2 years ago, who has done nothing but impress, and still took Connor Cook in the 4th to develop. How foolish were the Redskins for taking Cousins the very same year they drafted Griffen #2?

And then there is the Vikes, who hand the keys to projects like Tarvaris/Ponder/Bridgewater, find journeyman QB2s like Frerotte/Cassell/Hill to ensure no possibility of competition, collect virtual nobody QB3s like Webb/MBT/Heinicke, and bring in other UDFAs like Kafka/Stave with no apparent objective other than to annoy me. For a team that professes to want competition at every position, it sure works awful hard to prevent it at the most important position.

Well part of the reason, right or wrong, that the Vikings didn't want to spend time grooming a QBOTF is because they had Adrian Peterson. So they wanted a veteran or a QB who can play now to try to make the most of having Peterson in his prime. They got close with Favre in 2009 but Peterson fumbled the game away and then Favre put a nail in it.

Not having a plan B they reached big time on Ponder. The team hasn't shown itself to be competent in developing QBs. RIch Gannon and Brad Johnson both went on to greater success after the Vikings kind of gave up on them. Got to give Denny Green credit though as he did develop Johnson and Culpepper. That was a long time ago. Johnson became the too good to be a backup and essentially traded for the pick to draft Culpepper IIRC.

The Vikings did bring in Pat Shurmur who has had recent success with QBs with the Eagles. I consider that an upgrade from Scott Turner.

I really don't like Mettenberger. Part of this is irrational in that I was reacting to the media suggesting the Vikings use a first or second round draft pick on this guy, who when watching him I didn't think was worth that. I watched the guy a lot. He can throw that deep out with fire. No doubt about that. Maybe the accuracy could be improved with better footwork, but that would require that he had pocket awareness and mobility to set his feet. He does not have a sixth sense about the pass rush and so you don't see him climbing the pocket the way good QBs do. His ball placement might be erratic in part because of him not setting his feet, but it is also because he does not know how to throw with touch. Everything is a fast ball.

Norv Turner has been asked a bunch about this, about Zach as well and his response was that he isn't looking for a QB who can throw through a wall. 

So despite all the rumors and obvious connections of a similar offensive system I don't think Zach is one of Norv's guys.

You are likely correct that he is better than any of the other QB the Vikings currently have besides Teddy. 

Cjw_55106 said:
I'd offer a second round pick for McKinnon. If its rejected, Id move on. He's nice to have, but not worth shipping out starting pieces. 
This is about how I see it. The MN running game is good but I don't think McKinnon replaces AP should AP get hurt or go away.  Try to get him, but don't give up the bank.  A second round pick is about fair value.

This is about how I see it. The MN running game is good but I don't think McKinnon replaces AP should AP get hurt or go away.  Try to get him, but don't give up the bank.  A second round pick is about fair value.
I definitly think he replaces him if AP gets hurt. If AP is gone, they'll bring in competition I'm sure. I really like McKinnon, but you cant pay a first rounder for a backup fantasy player IMO. 

I definitely think AP lost a step last year, or a move, something. I recalled the days where he welcomed 9 man fronts and he was just unable to make that elusive cut or spot and spring through a seam the way he had previously. I would love to see McKinnon involved much more in 2016 because he really added something when used later in 2015. He just has the pop that AP lacks. That said, I'm a little skeptical the team views McKinnon as an heir apparent. Reports from last preseason suggested he was even worse than AP at pass protection, which is significant. I could see them bringing in another bell cow if/when Peterson leaves. McKinnon should obviously have an opportunity to take that job though, assuming he improves the shortcomings he has in that role.

As far as pass protection from the RB last year, all 3 of the Vikings RB gave up pressures last season. The RB/FB and TE were generally asked to help in this area too much, because of the poor play of Clemmings and Kalil on the outside.

Ellison was likely the Vikings best pass blocker last season and he played quite a bit because of that.

The problem with this extra protections is not many players getting out on routes. This invites the defense to blitz more and to keep run blitzing to stop Peterson before he gets started.

If the Vikings can improve their offensive tackle play, I see this having a domino effect on the offense because they won't need to rely on extra help from the RB and TE as often. More players getting out on routes will force the defense to cover more and blitz less.

Andre Smith a very good run blocker but I don't think he is much better than Loadholt in pass protection. Some folks are talking about the Vikings cutting Kalil and moving Smith to LT with Loadholt at RT. I don't think Smith is that good in pass protection to play LT? Matt Kalil was not really good either. So maybe it wouldn't be a huge drop or any drop at all from Kalil to have Smith play there.

McKinnon is a 2-down back. If AP is gone splits time with another back IMO. 
I agree with this.  We need look no further than Toby Gerhart for a guy that looked better than he really was when he came in fresh off the bench.  I do think that McKinnon fits what Turner wants to do more than Peterson. 

I agree with this.  We need look no further than Toby Gerhart for a guy that looked better than he really was when he came in fresh off the bench.  I do think that McKinnon fits what Turner wants to do more than Peterson. 
Agreed. IMO AP holds this offense back but for a young QB it's been fine. But he really hampers play calling. 

So what you guys are saying is that AP won't play for our Vikings until he turns 40??  lol 

I wonder if Teddy does improve from last year, and he should, and AP doesn't increase his production numbers, and that could happen, would the Vikings consider moving away from AP?  Hmmm.....

Offensive line issues aside. I hope they force AP to cater to Teddy's strengths instead of the other way around like they did in 2015. I think that will help Teddy's production the most. I think the double whammy of that and the o-line last year made it really difficult to evaluate how good (or bad) Teddy really is. I think we need to figure that out asap.

Zimmer discusses Shurmur’s role

In regards to the Vikings using more up tempo offense:

“Maybe some of it, but we’re not going to have two-minute possessions on offense. We’re going to try to possess the ball if we can. But I’m sure there will be some concepts,” he said. “We looked at them quite a bit before, but I think every offense there’s things that you can implement – things you like and try to get better.”
Link to the 2015 thread.

And then there is the Vikes, who hand the keys to projects like Tarvaris/Ponder/Bridgewater, find journeyman QB2s like Frerotte/Cassell/Hill to ensure no possibility of competition, collect virtual nobody QB3s like Webb/MBT/Heinicke, and bring in other UDFAs like Kafka/Stave with no apparent objective other than to annoy me.

:lmao:

Notebook: Starting spot up for grabs, veteran Michael Griffin ‘just trying to fit in’

Sendejo retook his spot with the first-team defense on Wednesday, running through drills alongside Smith. Griffin worked with the second team next to Anthony Harris, who landed one of two interceptions during the practice.
The Vikings had near-perfect attendance for the voluntary OTA, though a few weren’t seen practicing.

Linebacker Anthony Barr, defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd (knee/ankle), tight end Rhett Ellison (knee) and linebacker Travis Lewis were not seen on the field after warm-ups. Left tackle Matt Kalil was also limited in team drills with Jeremiah Sirles filling in for him.

According to Zimmer, Floyd is being held back by injuries “basically from last year.” He missed three starts following a midseason operation to remove cartilage from his left knee. Floyd also dealt with an ankle injury that put him in a walking boot around the same time last fall.

“If it gets into training camp like that, then it will be an issue,” Zimmer said of Floyd. “But I don’t think it’ll be that way.”

Regarding Barr, Zimmer said “I don’t think he’s injured.”

Right tackle Phil Loadholt (Achilles) and center John Sullivan (back) both practiced. Loadholt joined the first-team offense alongside guard Brandon Fusco, who moved back to the right side. Sullivan worked with the second-team offense behind Joe Berger.

Minnesota Vikings Training Camp Could Be A Bit Shorter

According to Matt Vensel of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, it sounds like the Vikings are going to be holding some joint practices with Mike Zimmer's former team, the Cincinnati Bengals, prior to the two teams meeting in their preseason opener on 12 August. If that's the case, the Vikings could be departing Mankato a few days early to hold those joint practices with the Bengals at their camp in Cincinnati.

John Sullivan Slims Down For 2016 Comeback

I wonder if this means they will let Kalil play at a lower weight than he has been. Remember Kalil complaining about having to play at 325? His best season as a rookie he played closer to 300. I thought one of the best things about Kalil was his speed to seal LB inside but I haven't seen much of that since his rookie year. Every once in awhile he is getting outside for a nice block but he doesn't seem to have the same quickness to do things like this as frequently.

If the weight does lead to greater risk of injury as Sullivan says, then it seems like there are some benefits to playing at a lighter weight, some disadvantages come along with that too when these guys need to block bigger players, but Kalil strugged against Ngata and guys like that anyways. So is the extra weight really helping him?

I wonder if Baltimore would be interested in Patterson for a 5th round pick next year.  He could be their next Jacoby Jones. 

Maybe it is just a PR snowjob, but the coaches seem genuine in their comments about Patterson playing better so far during OTAs. 

I warched George Stewart miked up and at one point he tells Patterson that he has run the route well 3 times in a row at one point of the session. He also has Patterson running a route as an example of how it is done (after another WR didn't run it the way Stewart wanted). Mike Zimmer has also said that Patterson has impressed him with his improvement thus far.

Zimmer was not saying anything nice about Patterson that I can recall before this year. That has changed.

Now maybe they just decided he needed the positive encouragement. Maybe it is just PR to get fans off Patterson's case a bit, but I think there is more to it than that.

Not sure how a 5th round pick next season is going to offer moreto the Vikings chance of winning than Patterson currently does.

Not sure how a 5th round pick next season is going to offer moreto the Vikings chance of winning than Patterson currently does.
There are only 53 spots on the roster and I like to think that the Vikings have enough depth at each position that they likely have to cut a talented player or two to get down to 53.  So in a sense it is a roster spot and a 5th next year. Or how about Adam Thielen and a 5th next year. I think Thielen contributes more than Patterson to the Vikings winning. 

Yeah the Vikings do have more WR than they need right now. Sort of depends on how many offensive linemen they keep. I would prefer to keep a lineman over a WR.

I think it is Charles Johnson who is going to go. If they could trade Patterson, perhaps the return on that and being able to keep Johnson would be worth it? The Vikings do have other guys who could return kicks, just likely not quite as well.

Maybe they could trade someone else before having to cut down.

Cutting Charles Johnson would be stupid but not out of character with the Vikings.  After all, no one other that the Vikings actually thought trading for Wallace was was a good idea. 

MLB All Star game used to be a big thing for me as a kid but now it means only 1 thing...............Vikings training camp is right around the corner! Seriously fired up for this season and training camp is going to be awesome to follow. First time in alot of years we will be making some very hard cuts. Year 3 for a QB is usually the year for giant leap forward or for letting the team know that they have to go back to the drawing board via the draft or free agency. I expect Teddy to take the next step with an upgraded O-line and really improved WR corp. I just have that feeling that this is a 13-3 type of team that makes an NFC Championship game and possibly the Super Bowl. They feel alot like the 2013 Seahawks to me. Young talented leader at QB, Top 5 RB, solid cast of good WR's, young aggressive Defense, and great coaching. Man can it be September already!!

Users who are viewing this thread