What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL*** Minnesota Vikings offseason thread (8 Viewers)

From FBG News blog: (also saw it on twitter)

Vikings | Will meet with Raheem MorrisThe Minnesota Vikings will interview former Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Raheem Morris for an unidentified defensive coaching position.
:unsure: Not real sure how I feel about this
A defensive/"players'" coach whose defense just completely gave up and lost 10 straight games while getting absolutely embarrassed, sounds like he'd be a great fit with the Vikings... He and Frazier and all the players can be best buds while we lose 12+ for the forseeable future! Its almost like they don't want a new stadium here and they just want to go to LA.

From Adam Schefter on twitter:

"RT @hedlund95: Anymore word on vikes D coordinator search? ... Leader in clubhouse is Raheem Morris."

Frazier needs to be fired immediately for even considering this.

Don't get the "Hate" for Raheem. :shrug:

There are a bunch of coaches out there that SUCK as Head Coaches, but are great when they spend their time on what they are actually good at.

The Phillips family comes to mind. Recently Romeo Crennel.

I seriously doubt he can be any worse then what they had.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tampa's defense was an abomination this year, and that was after spending a LOT of draft picks on defense (and defense is supposed to be Raheem's specialty). He is also another players' coach like Frazier and all his players gave up on him. I can't think of a worse possible candidate for the job that isn't already on our staff.

You guys don't know what you're talking about. One year ago today the Bucs were the hot young team in the NFL and Morris was the leader. They had a bad year and the team got away from him. He would be the perfect D - Coordinator not coach . He's the kind of coach players want to come play for . You can't judge him for one season and discount the one previous.

You guys don't know what you're talking about. One year ago today the Bucs were the hot young team in the NFL and Morris was the leader. They had a bad year and the team got away from him. He would be the perfect D - Coordinator not coach . He's the kind of coach players want to come play for . You can't judge him for one season and discount the one previous.
But you can judge him for the one mildly successful season and not the one terrible one? :confused:

But you can judge him for the one mildly successful season and not the one terrible one? :confused:
:shrug: He was part of the Defensive coaching staff when they won the Super Bowl.. I'll take that "Mild sucess" ;)

:shrug: He was part of the Defensive coaching staff when they won the Super Bowl.. I'll take that "Mild sucess" ;)
Defensive quality control coach 10 years ago on a SB winner feels like a bit of a stretch... ;)

'ConfusedRealist said:
'snogger said:
Defensive quality control coach 10 years ago on a SB winner feels like a bit of a stretch... ;)
After this last season I'll take whatever hopes I can get. :thumbup:

Marinelli was a former D-coordinator that took the Lions to their 0-16 season. He's back with the Bears and their D is still OK. CHI's D is better than TB personnel-wise, however.

'ConfusedRealist said:
'snogger said:
After this last season I'll take whatever hopes I can get. :thumbup:
I'd still prefer guys that had at least mild success when what they did actually contributed to a team doing something productive. What I find curious is people actually trying to defend Raheem. Is that really his best defense? An extremely minor role that many people probably didn't even know exists and it was a full decade ago. Its not like we're forced to pick from the first 3 people we interview and we don't owe this guy anything yet. It makes absolutely no sense to go get this guy when there's very little proof that he can actually be successful at the NFL level and there is quite a bit of evidence to suggest he is completely clueless. As someone with little to no faith in Leslie Frazier, I feel like throwing another guy into the mix that likes to let the inmates run the asylum and isn't very good at being a disciplinarian (check his idiotic attempts at discipline this season) is just going to create further problems for our team that we just don't need. Furthermore I would suggest that as a "players' coach" part of your schtick is having the players on your side, after the fingerpointing and blame he tried to spread around in Tampa I'm not even sure the players would latch on to him like his past teams had (even this Tampa team seemed to give up after he began trying to spread the blame to save his job).

I think its pretty simple what the Vikings should do. If Kalil grades out as an elite LT, you take him is the Rams do not. If the Rams do take him, hopefully someone thinks Griffin is their next franchise QB and gives us a great deal to move down.Dream offseason is, Kalil is the next Joe Thomas/Jake Long and we take him.Fill out the rest of the offensive line and DBs through FA/rest of the draft.Get a big time WR like Vincent Jackson or Dwayne Bowe.Easier said than done, but hopefully it works out for us.
I think this is the best course of action - Take Kalil if available, otherwise trade the pick to someone who wants Griffen. 3rd is too high to take Justin Blackmon. I would love to see him in Purple and Gold, but need too much help elsewhere. Trade down a few picks and get a WR and defense. Will be an interesting draft,

Preparedness and players. That's all that separates one coach from another. Morris, Frazier, Marinelli, Lombardi, Rockne.....without players you got nothing.

Coordinator job might be the most overvalued position in pro sports.

Preparedness is a skill and is learned. And its damn difficult to find a coach who hasnt been fired at least once. The point is that records and stats are poor measures of a coaches skill but its all we have as fans. But that doesnt make us qualified to judge.

OK, well I don't believe Morris was even being considered for DC after that news. More likely he was being looked at in a similar role here. God I hope Spags gets the DC job. It would be nice to move away from this stupid cover 2 that we've been getting beat on for the last 5 years.

Really hard to say who they should draft, or whether they should trade down, until we see how active they are in the FA market.

Wilf has said he is willing to "Open the purse" to better the team and there is a LOT of value out there this year.

Peter King mentioned that since the Cap space isn't going to move much, if at all, teams will have less to spend meaning the price for top FA will be lower than most season. :popcorn:

'encaitar said:
OK, well I don't believe Morris was even being considered for DC after that news. More likely he was being looked at in a similar role here. God I hope Spags gets the DC job. It would be nice to move away from this stupid cover 2 that we've been getting beat on for the last 5 years.
THIS!!!!

I want a 3-4 so bad I can taste it!

'encaitar said:
THIS!!!!

No way dude. I'm with the change away from a cover 2, but not to a 3-4.

'encaitar said:
THIS!!!!

Oi. The cover 2 is a perfectly good defense. But in order to play it properly, you need to have a MLB that can drop into coverage (Henderson's wheels won't let him do that now, if he ever really could), decent CBs (we have only Winfield and he's about done) and safeties that can cover and support the run and do a bit of ballhawking (which we haven't had consistently in what, 20 years?). You also need a d-line that can pressure the QB. Which they have. For now.The 3-4 is also a way to go and may fit the Vikes personnel better overall, but doesn't fit our single best defensive player, Jared Allen.

At this point, the scheme is not the issue. The TERRIBLE personnel in the back 7 is.

'encaitar said:
THIS!!!!

Would you trade Kevin Williams then or what would we do with him if we ran a 3-4?

'encaitar said:
THIS!!!!

You move to a 3-4 - might as well trade away Jared Allen.You do that - you rip apart the heart-and-soul of this team.

'encaitar said:
THIS!!!!

Would you trade Kevin Williams then or what would we do with him if we ran a 3-4?
Kevin Williams would work as a 3-4 end. Jared Allen would not work as as a 3-4 outside LB though and would be too small as a 3-4 end. He would have to be traded if we went to a 3-4.Spags would still run a 4-3 one-gap defense, but not a cover 2 which is why he would be nice. However, it looks like the Eagles will sell the farm for him.

How about Del Rio? He was a pretty good D coordinator in his day. While he was in Jacksonville they ran a 4-3 two-gap defense, which would be interesting. It would require a lot more responsibility from our D-line as they would all have 2 gaps to cover instead of 1, but it would be a little easier on the LBers. I think our Dline is the strongest part of our defense so it might work well. His defenses don't traditionally play much zone either, which would be worrisome if we didn't upgrade our back 7. But, if Cook comes back and we can find someone like Terrel Thomas or Brandon Carr in FA, it would make those man to man matchups look a lot nicer.

K Williams would be one of the ends in a 3-4, but who plays the other end and NT? Is Ballard ready to be the nose? Griffen plays the other end and Robison moves to OLB? By all accounts Brinkley and either EJ/ Erin would be well suited to the ILB duties and Greenway would be a good OLB...

but we still have the DB problem. Switching to a 3-4 doesn't help that issue.

ETA and oh yeah, Jared Allen is gone :sadbanana:

K Williams would be one of the ends in a 3-4, but who plays the other end and NT? Is Ballard ready to be the nose? Griffen plays the other end and Robison moves to OLB? By all accounts Brinkley and either EJ/ Erin would be well suited to the ILB duties and Greenway would be a good OLB...but we still have the DB problem. Switching to a 3-4 doesn't help that issue.ETA and oh yeah, Jared Allen is gone :sadbanana:
Even though I don't think they'd make the change to a 3-4, Everson Griffin might be the exact type of guy who could be a good OLB in a 3-4.

K Williams would be one of the ends in a 3-4, but who plays the other end and NT? Is Ballard ready to be the nose? Griffen plays the other end and Robison moves to OLB? By all accounts Brinkley and either EJ/ Erin would be well suited to the ILB duties and Greenway would be a good OLB...but we still have the DB problem. Switching to a 3-4 doesn't help that issue.ETA and oh yeah, Jared Allen is gone :sadbanana:
Even though I don't think they'd make the change to a 3-4, Everson Griffin might be the exact type of guy who could be a good OLB in a 3-4.
Yeah I suppose he would. But can Robison play the other end position in a 3-4?

THIS!!!!

I agree. Minnesota could run a version of Jim Johnson 4-3 like the Eagles, Saints, Giants and Rams.

Alright my Viking brothers I am going to say it..........I want RG3! This guy is electric and I think he is the next ultimate weapon in the NFL. Running ability and a deadly accurate passer with a real swagger about him. Yes I love both Kalil and Blackmon but my dream scenario is to get either Dwayne Bowe, Vincent Jackson, or Marques Colston in Free Agency and then trade Ponder to a Cleveland or Washington for their high 2nd round pick and get The best available OT and CB with our 2nd round pick and the one we get with trading Ponder. Now that is not all I want to get in Free agency but I think we have to come out with a big WR to complement Percy Harvin. With one of those 3 WR's sign then maybe a get a Guard or 2, and then work on that secondary and if you cant do it through free agency then in the draft. RG3, Peterson, Harvin, Bowe/Jackson/Colston, Rudolph, and Gerhart coming in giving AP some rest next season is a start to an electrifying Offense I think.

I think its pretty simple what the Vikings should do. If Kalil grades out as an elite LT, you take him is the Rams do not. If the Rams do take him, hopefully someone thinks Griffin is their next franchise QB and gives us a great deal to move down.Dream offseason is, Kalil is the next Joe Thomas/Jake Long and we take him.Fill out the rest of the offensive line and DBs through FA/rest of the draft.Get a big time WR like Vincent Jackson or Dwayne Bowe.Easier said than done, but hopefully it works out for us.
I think this is the best course of action - Take Kalil if available, otherwise trade the pick to someone who wants Griffen. 3rd is too high to take Justin Blackmon. I would love to see him in Purple and Gold, but need too much help elsewhere. Trade down a few picks and get a WR and defense. Will be an interesting draft,
If Kalil is gone then trading down should be a serious option. However, the two best picks I see for the Vikings (outside of Kalil) are Blackmon and Claiborne - both of which will likely be gone by #6. If Reiff grades out high enough he would be a good option at #6. Tough call for the Vikes.

Alright my Viking brothers I am going to say it..........I want RG3! This guy is electric and I think he is the next ultimate weapon in the NFL. Running ability and a deadly accurate passer with a real swagger about him. Yes I love both Kalil and Blackmon but my dream scenario is to get either Dwayne Bowe, Vincent Jackson, or Marques Colston in Free Agency and then trade Ponder to a Cleveland or Washington for their high 2nd round pick and get The best available OT and CB with our 2nd round pick and the one we get with trading Ponder. Now that is not all I want to get in Free agency but I think we have to come out with a big WR to complement Percy Harvin. With one of those 3 WR's sign then maybe a get a Guard or 2, and then work on that secondary and if you cant do it through free agency then in the draft. RG3, Peterson, Harvin, Bowe/Jackson/Colston, Rudolph, and Gerhart coming in giving AP some rest next season is a start to an electrifying Offense I think.
Sign me up, I'd love this scenario.

Surprised at the number of people ready to move on from Ponder, to either Webb or RG3. Ponder ended the season poorly but he had a nice stretch of games in the middle of the season including a huge game against the Broncos. He has a lot of things going for him: accuracy in the short and intermediate zone, great pocket presence, decent scrambling ability, and good maturity off the field. I want to see what he can do with better players around him. I still think he has a shot to be really good.

We forget that starting QB's their rookie year aren't supposed to be great. Read a piece on Rodgers here in the SP about how bad he was at first. Brees was not a world beater at all his first couple years. Look at Flacco and Ryan, had good rookie years, but are no longer really progressing.

Hell, Eli took nearly a decade to become a top-10 guy. I think if they commit to Ponder, they have to give it a couple years.

Ponder is only a part of the equation. If you think BGIII is tremendously better you take him and worry about Ponder later.

Ponder will be fine. I disagree that he's injury prone. Some pretty big dudes slamming his hip into the concrete floor. Average offensive line and only Harvin at WR; the guy needs some help.

Get a ransom for the #3 if RGIII is coveted. He may be gone at #2 anyway.

As everyone knew before 2011 we need a downfield target.

Agree with the consensus Kalil pick at #3 if we can't trade down but I'll defer to the guys who do this for a living.

Zygi had a $20M cash call this year but I believe he'll make a few moves to create excitement for the final stadium push. If the stadium deal gets done before free agency and the draft then I could see him pull the reins back a bit to conserve cash and just do "enough" to placate with the excuse that they're still the worst revenue team until the stadium is built.

Should be an exciting offseason for Vikings fans. Also, we have the Packers loss to the Giants after going 15-1 to help us.

Kind of off topic, but I watched every snap of every Vikes game this year and I will swear to my dying day that they had the worst, most pathetic, most ineffectual and embarassing pass defense I've ever seen from an NFL team. It was a horrific sight.

There were 6 teams--6!!!-- that had worse pass defenses by yardage than the Vikes. Four--4!!!!--- of those 6 teams made the playoffs. And 3 of the 4 have been eliminated. The one that's still alive? The Giants. Head to Vegas and bet big on the 49ers next weekend gents...

So, Pagac gets fired but is offered the position of LB coach? Doesn't that belong to Singletary?? Has anyone heard the plan that is going on here?

How many of his friends is Leslie Frasier gonna hire? This team had 8 INTs last year and they want to raid the coaching staff of the only other defense in the league with turnover numbers just as putrid? Yippee, the Cover Noone is still in play in Minnesota.

Users who are viewing this thread