What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL*** Minnesota Vikings offseason thread (5 Viewers)

Unfortunately until Spielman goes the Vikings are doomed to less than mediocrity just as the Dolphins were when he was there. He's horrible.

OK, well I don't believe Morris was even being considered for DC after that news. More likely he was being looked at in a similar role here. God I hope Spags gets the DC job. It would be nice to move away from this stupid cover 2 that we've been getting beat on for the last 5 years.
THIS!!!!

I want a 3-4 so bad I can taste it!
So you don't want Jared Allen?
Does he really matter in this scheme?I mean when have 22 sacks mattered this little? I want Frazier and the Cover 2 gone. If that means a soon to be 30 year old DE has to go, so be it... I think the 3-4 is the only way to get "consistent" pressure on the QB, especially when your DBs are as pathetic as we have.

OK, well I don't believe Morris was even being considered for DC after that news. More likely he was being looked at in a similar role here. God I hope Spags gets the DC job. It would be nice to move away from this stupid cover 2 that we've been getting beat on for the last 5 years.
THIS!!!!

Does he really matter in this scheme?I mean when have 22 sacks mattered this little? I want Frazier and the Cover 2 gone. If that means a soon to be 30 year old DE has to go, so be it... I think the 3-4 is the only way to get "consistent" pressure on the QB, especially when your DBs are as pathetic as we have.
Wait. So you're calling for a change to the 3-4 in order to get consistent pressure? The Vikes LED THE NFL in sacks this year. They generate plenty of pressure from the 4-3. Their back 7 couldn't cover ANYONE. Switching to the 3-4 won't change that.

THIS!!!!

Wait. So you're calling for a change to the 3-4 in order to get consistent pressure? The Vikes LED THE NFL in sacks this year. They generate plenty of pressure from the 4-3. Their back 7 couldn't cover ANYONE. Switching to the 3-4 won't change that.
Yes, "Consistent" pressure. It seemed when teams wanted/needed to shut down the front 4 of the Vikings, they did as evident by our crappy Pass D. 50 sacks and yet the opposing offense still managed the best QB rating Vs. (107.6) and the most TDs (34). When you know where the rush is coming from (front 4) it's pretty easy to block or double team big Hoss. So while they tied for the league in Sacks did it really matter?

THIS!!!!

Yes, "Consistent" pressure. It seemed when teams wanted/needed to shut down the front 4 of the Vikings, they did as evident by our crappy Pass D. 50 sacks and yet the opposing offense still managed the best QB rating Vs. (107.6) and the most TDs (34). When you know where the rush is coming from (front 4) it's pretty easy to block or double team big Hoss. So while they tied for the league in Sacks did it really matter?
Yes... and no. The pass rush was not entirely consistent, but you're not going to sack every opponent 4-5 times per game. Some o-lines/QBs/TEs are better than others or game plan better than others to neutralize the pass rush... My point is that they generated pressure as well as anyone while playing the 4-3. They were horrendous in coverage. I would argue the worst in the NFL, although there were other teams that gave up more yards. That's much less a scheme issue and much more a personnel issue IMO. Changing to a scheme that neutralizes their best defender is cutting off their nose to spite an already very homely face. Good god, can you imagine the numbers they would have given up if their pass rush wasn't effective?

THIS!!!!

Yes... and no. The pass rush was not entirely consistent, but you're not going to sack every opponent 4-5 times per game. Some o-lines/QBs/TEs are better than others or game plan better than others to neutralize the pass rush... My point is that they generated pressure as well as anyone while playing the 4-3. They were horrendous in coverage. I would argue the worst in the NFL, although there were other teams that gave up more yards. That's much less a scheme issue and much more a personnel issue IMO. Changing to a scheme that neutralizes their best defender is cutting off their nose to spite an already very homely face. Good god, can you imagine the numbers they would have given up if their pass rush wasn't effective?
The DBs weren't that terrible when Winfield was healthy, Griffin was fresh and Cook wasn't choking women. The safeties have been terrible for a long time, but when Asher Allen has to start alongside those terrible safeties and Griffin who was coming off of 2 ACL surgeries, the back 7 is going to get eaten up. 4-3/3-4 won't matter at that point.

Time for Brett Favre part duex - here comes Manning!

Last edited by a moderator:
Vikings set to offer defensive coordinator job to Alan WilliamsPosted by Michael David Smith on January 18, 2012, 2:17 PM EST Alan Williams appears to be the next defensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings.NFL Network’s Jason La Canfora reports that the Vikings are expected to offer the defensive coordinator position to Williams, who was previously the Colts’ defensive backs coach.Presumably, Williams will accept the offer, as it’s a step up in job title — and until the Colts have a head coach, there’s no way of knowing whether he’d have a job in Indianapolis at all even if he wants to stay.Williams has worked for the Colts for 10 years, including two years alongside Vikings head coach Leslie Frazier.
Jeezus. For real?I am honestly thinking of giving up on this franchise.

Is this speculation on your part or did you hear/ read something? Oh, and :rolleyes: for so many reasons...
Nothing new except the report of Manning not wanting to push back his 28 mil bonus date, meaning he will stay or be released, probability of being released rising.No connection to us and definitely no definite word on release, but man, are we not just the type of battered wife franchise that would go after another mess like this?

Vikings set to offer defensive coordinator job to Alan WilliamsPosted by Michael David Smith on January 18, 2012, 2:17 PM EST Alan Williams appears to be the next defensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings.NFL Network’s Jason La Canfora reports that the Vikings are expected to offer the defensive coordinator position to Williams, who was previously the Colts’ defensive backs coach.Presumably, Williams will accept the offer, as it’s a step up in job title — and until the Colts have a head coach, there’s no way of knowing whether he’d have a job in Indianapolis at all even if he wants to stay.Williams has worked for the Colts for 10 years, including two years alongside Vikings head coach Leslie Frazier.
Well, at least he has experience with their current scheme...I think the O-line and Allen had more deflections than the DBs this season.

Is this speculation on your part or did you hear/ read something? Oh, and :rolleyes: for so many reasons...
Nothing new except the report of Manning not wanting to push back his 28 mil bonus date, meaning he will stay or be released, probability of being released rising.No connection to us and definitely no definite word on release, but man, are we not just the type of battered wife franchise that would go after another mess like this?
Yes. But Peyton wouldn't come near this mess if Cooper was the HC. The Vikes may have interest, but I assure you it would be one-sided.

'Andy Dufresne said:
:goodposting: How much more ineptness can we take?

'Andy Dufresne said:
Vikings set to offer defensive coordinator job to Alan Williams

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 18, 2012, 2:17 PM EST

Alan Williams appears to be the next defensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings.

NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reports that the Vikings are expected to offer the defensive coordinator position to Williams, who was previously the Colts' defensive backs coach.

Presumably, Williams will accept the offer, as it's a step up in job title — and until the Colts have a head coach, there's no way of knowing whether he'd have a job in Indianapolis at all even if he wants to stay.

Williams has worked for the Colts for 10 years, including two years alongside Vikings head coach Leslie Frazier.
I am forced to look for the silver lining. He might be a good hiring. Prior to this year, Indy had 9 years of success. Indy like the Vikings don't spend a lot of high draft picks on DBs. Don't know the stats but I imagine the Colts defense was on the field the majority of the time with Curtis Painter throwing 3 and outs.

I am forced to look for the silver lining. He might be a good hiring. Prior to this year, Indy had 9 years of success. Indy like the Vikings don't spend a lot of high draft picks on DBs. Don't know the stats but I imagine the Colts defense was on the field the majority of the time with Curtis Painter throwing 3 and outs.
I would think that a team trying to turn around after 3-13 would pick someone who has been a coordinator already, not elevating a d-backs coach from a middling pass defense.

:yucky:
'Andy Dufresne said:

Wait, so let me get this straight. We go 3-13, tied for the worst 16 game season in Minnesota history. The only bright spot in the season is Jared Allen challenging for the sack record and combining with the rest of the line to lead the league in sacks. Every other area of the team under performed.

Yet, somehow, the only coach to lose his job is the coach of that vaunted D-line. The same D-line that might've broken an NFL record for sacks in the season if our secondary covered guys for more than 1.5 seconds? Wow, just wow. Is this Frasier's way of saying he wants Matt Barkley as the future QB of this team? Because it seems like we're setting up next year's failing already.

I agree and understand the disappointment in this thread because i too have suffered through the despicable last 2 years of football-but- lets all not overreact because they haven't completely cleaned house. Spielman has been promoted which clearly states he gets to make some big decisions this offseason that will hinge on his future with the team. In the NFL coaching staffs are very important, but personnel on the field is 20x more important. This is a defensive philosophy that 3-4 years ago sent out one of the top defenses in the NFL that eventually became a huge part of the team that should have won the 2009 NFC championship. Lets give Spielman and Frazier this offseason and training camp to establish what direction they want this team to go in. Because we all know that these 2, as well as every coach on Fraziers staff are connected at the hip , and will be gone if this team doesn't improve by leaps and bounds next year.

The 2 biggest problems on this team remain the same as they were one year ago- No talent on the OLine, and Not enough players in the secondary. If therse 2 issues are ignored like they were last offseason , don't worry viking fans, we will all be speculating on who the new coach will be one year from now.

But for now lets give these men the benefit of the doubt on their knowledge, and hope they can bring in the personnel to not make themselves look like idiots.

I agree and understand the disappointment in this thread because i too have suffered through the despicable last 2 years of football-but- lets all not overreact because they haven't completely cleaned house. Spielman has been promoted which clearly states he gets to make some big decisions this offseason that will hinge on his future with the team. In the NFL coaching staffs are very important, but personnel on the field is 20x more important. This is a defensive philosophy that 3-4 years ago sent out one of the top defenses in the NFL that eventually became a huge part of the team that should have won the 2009 NFC championship. Lets give Spielman and Frazier this offseason and training camp to establish what direction they want this team to go in. Because we all know that these 2, as well as every coach on Fraziers staff are connected at the hip , and will be gone if this team doesn't improve by leaps and bounds next year. The 2 biggest problems on this team remain the same as they were one year ago- No talent on the OLine, and Not enough players in the secondary. If therse 2 issues are ignored like they were last offseason , don't worry viking fans, we will all be speculating on who the new coach will be one year from now. But for now lets give these men the benefit of the doubt on their knowledge, and hope they can bring in the personnel to not make themselves look like idiots.
:goodposting:WAY too much doom and gloom in here. Can't wait for the draft. Khalil or a trade down is what I'm hoping for. I really could see them taking RG3 if they think he's a stud. A difference maker at QB can turn around a franchise quicker than anything else. I don't think he's that guy but I could see it if they believe.

Either way next season is the deciding moment of Frasier and he has to know that so he wouldn't have made this move if he didn't think it would work. If it works.. :thumbup:If not, he has no one else to blame so he is gone.

I can honestly say I don't understand a single thing the Vikes have done so far, or see any reason for hope.

They've promoted to GM a guy who was at least 1/3 responsible for current failure. Does anyone think our 1st year coach and capologist were 2/3 responsible for the state of the team?

The only coach fired was the coach of our one performing unit (DL).

They've hired a totally unproven 'coach's crony' as DC, while other teams are hiring proven coaches for the defensive coaching voids.

I couldn't possibly be more underwhelmed with the direction.

I know Allen doesn't like the 3-4, but I'm pretty confident that he could get just about as many sacks out of the bicycle as having a hand in the dirt. The fact remains that we really don't have the hogs to run a 3-4..hell we don't have the guys to run a good 4-3. I know some people are unhappy with the idea of Manning, but I hope the Indy connection continues.

Our best shot at winning the super bowl is through a miraculous Manning recovery. At the worst it blows up and we get a good house cleaning in coaching and management to go with another high pick. Either way it's a lot better than a slightly improved repeat of last year's horror fest.

So the new D-coordinator runs cover 2, too? So that rules out us taking a CB in the first round, correct?

I can honestly say I don't understand a single thing the Vikes have done so far, or see any reason for hope.

They've promoted to GM a guy who was at least 1/3 responsible for current failure. Does anyone think our 1st year coach and capologist were 2/3 responsible for the state of the team?

They've hired a totally unproven 'coach's crony' as DC, while other teams are hiring proven coaches for the defensive coaching voids.

:goodposting: frasier will be gone this time next year

Can someone explain to me exactly why the Metrodome site is being discussed as a location for the new stadium? I thought this whole time Arden Hills was a shoe-in. I HATE the Metrodome location.

Tailgating? NOPE

Parking? NOPE - find a ramp 6 blocks away and walk in the freezing cold to the game. Fun.

Can someone explain to me exactly why the Metrodome site is being discussed as a location for the new stadium? I thought this whole time Arden Hills was a shoe-in. I HATE the Metrodome location.Tailgating? NOPEParking? NOPE - find a ramp 6 blocks away and walk in the freezing cold to the game. Fun.
Because Minneapolis politicians have more clout than non-Minneapolis politicians.

Can someone explain to me exactly why the Metrodome site is being discussed as a location for the new stadium? I thought this whole time Arden Hills was a shoe-in. I HATE the Metrodome location.Tailgating? NOPEParking? NOPE - find a ramp 6 blocks away and walk in the freezing cold to the game. Fun.
Because Minneapolis politicians have more clout than non-Minneapolis politicians.
Ah ok, that makes sense now. And of course the Governor is beholden to Minneapolis due to the fact that it's where he wins or loses the next election.

I went to college near Arden Hills. Where are they talking about up there, the old military base?
Yep, that's it. I believe the area was fully vetted, all the plans are in place. And in the 11th hour, Minneapolis busted in and is demanding the new stadium be located on the Metrodome site.

Well, sort of. The official word is that the way that Ramsey County was trying to fund it, the taxes and whatnot, were a non-starter.

Which sucks because that location is no more than three miles from my house. We go bike riding on the paths around the old plant all the time.

The Vikings did have a deal at one time to take over Property that the Star & Tribune currently owns around the Metrodome. But once they thought they'd build elsewhere they removed the offer.Word has it if the Metrodome site becomes the site, they will probably look to buy that property back from Star & Tribune for parking, tailgating, etc.. At this point I don't give a bleep where they build it.. JUST BUILD IT! :thumbup:

This should come as no surprise, Vikings looking to trade down:

Vikings put top pick on market … Minnesota G.M. Rick Spielman indicated during an interview on the NFL Network coverage of the Senior Bowl that the Vikings would be willing to move the #3 pick at this year’s draft if the price were right. According to Spielman “if someone wants to come up and get that pick we’ll be listening.” The Vikings, of course, selected QB Christian Ponder at the 2011 draft as their QB of the future, at least for now, so are not likely to be in the market for a passer with the third pick.

http://www.gbnreport.com/

:goodposting: frasier will be gone this time next year
+2i was very disappointed to see the speilman promotion. I'll give him his selections in the first round the past few years. Other than that, I have also been completely underwhelmed by his performance.

It seems like we have absolutely no depth on this team and feel that we will be "rebuilding" for quite awhile. This is a huge draft coming up - hoping for the best, but expecting a safe play with the 3rd pick and questionable selections after that.

:scared:

This should come as no surprise, Vikings looking to trade down:

Vikings put top pick on market … Minnesota G.M. Rick Spielman indicated during an interview on the NFL Network coverage of the Senior Bowl that the Vikings would be willing to move the #3 pick at this year’s draft if the price were right. According to Spielman “if someone wants to come up and get that pick we’ll be listening.” The Vikings, of course, selected QB Christian Ponder at the 2011 draft as their QB of the future, at least for now, so are not likely to be in the market for a passer with the third pick.

http://www.gbnreport.com/
Good :thumbup: I would expect the Browns and the Redskins to talk to the Rams and the Vikings to move up and get Robert Griffin III.

If the Rams don't trade down, the Vikings phone will start ringing. :popcorn:

I have always been envious of the way some teams keep finding undrafted free agents that become key contributors. In other words, damonds in the rough. I can't find to much fault with what Spielman has done at the top of the draft but the Vikings scouts have been woeful at finding undrafted free agents. I wonder if they are showing too much loyalty to their drafted players. I can't believe how long they held on to Ryan Cook hoping for him to develop. Their defensive backs were depleted due to injury this year and the best player they come up with is Benny Sapp. Despite being cut by the Dolphins, Sapp played better than most of the Vikings drafted corner backs. Just sad.

I found this article interesting: http://liveballsport...e-from-the-nfc/

NFL teams are built though the NFL Draft. This is a truth that we hold self evident. It's also misleading.

The more-accurate truth is that the successful teams are built through the scrap heap in some way or form. The 2010 Packers, an almost completely homegrown team, are the anomaly. But even the SB champion packers wouldn't have made it as far as they did without something that I will refer to here as an "unexpected" contribution from fourth year CB Tramon Williams and rookie CB Sam Shields, both of whom combined to help Charles Woodson extend the effective portion of his career at cornerback. Williams and Shields have something else in common: both went undrafted by NFL teams in their respective draft years.
In my honest opinion, the Vikings are the worst team at finding talent from undrafted player pool. Is finding quality players from the scrap heap just luck? As a fan of the team, I am here waiting patiently for the next John Randle to appear.

The Patriots have 18 undrafted free agents. EIGHTEEN!

Some (a lot?) of their success has to do with good coaching, which I don't think the Vikings have had for a long, long, LONG time.

The Patriots have 18 undrafted free agents. EIGHTEEN!Some (a lot?) of their success has to do with good coaching, which I don't think the Vikings have had for a long, long, LONG time.
I am not sure if I buy that. I assume that Bengarvis Green-Ellis and Laurence Maroney had the same amount of coaching during their time with the Patriots. One thing I like about the Patriots, they leave no stone unturned when looking for players that can help their team.

'Donnybrook said:
The Patriots have 18 undrafted free agents. EIGHTEEN!Some (a lot?) of their success has to do with good coaching, which I don't think the Vikings have had for a long, long, LONG time.
I am not sure if I buy that. I assume that Bengarvis Green-Ellis and Laurence Maroney had the same amount of coaching during their time with the Patriots. One thing I like about the Patriots, they leave no stone unturned when looking for players that can help their team.
Cherrypick much?

The Patriots have 18 undrafted free agents. EIGHTEEN!

Some (a lot?) of their success has to do with good coaching, which I don't think the Vikings have had for a long, long, LONG time.
Exactly their best coaches have all been DCs who went on to coach other teams. It would be nice to actually have a coach who can run a team on Sunday.

Got a bad feeling about all this trade down talk. Yeah we have alot of holes to fill but I really believe we have to come away from this draft with Kalil, RG3, Blackmon, or Claiborne and if we go down to #6 where the Redskins are then I think we miss on all 4. Yeah we pick up some picks but seriously after the 1st Round Spielman sucks badly. I think there are 6 superstars in this draft and Luck and Richardson are out because of availability or need so we need 1 of the other 4 I mentioned earlier. Now if we could drop to #4 where Cleveland swaps with us and pickup some picks I would love that but I keep hearing that Daniel Snyder is hell bent on trading up for RG3. What are your guys thoughts on how far is too far to move back and still get a great player?

Users who are viewing this thread