What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official MLB 2013 Season Thread (1 Viewer)

Speaking of home plate collisions, the Giants are reportedly considering moving Buster Posey to 3B
Which lands Sandoval where?
I've heard trade rumors. Probably better as a DH until he goes to Weight Watchers.
Sandoval has one year left before free agency. The Giants could move him to 1B and try Belt in LF. It wouldn't be pretty but it would get Gregor Blanco out of the lineup.

Speaking of home plate collisions, the Giants are reportedly considering moving Buster Posey to 3B
I've heard trade rumors. Probably better as a DH until he goes to Weight Watchers.
Sandoval has one year left before free agency. The Giants could move him to 1B and try Belt in LF. It wouldn't be pretty but it would get Gregor Blanco out of the lineup.
Or Posey could catch for one more season and make the transition when Panda walks.

Or Posey could catch for one more season and make the transition when Panda walks.
or he could stay at catcher which is probably what's going to happen

I'm curious about 3B. Doesn't he already see some time at 1B? Why not move him there?

I'm curious about 3B. Doesn't he already see some time at 1B? Why not move him there?
I'm assuming because they'd want to keep Belt at 1B. It feels like a lot this is speculation with the McCann rumors floating around.

I'm assuming because they'd want to keep Belt at 1B. It feels like a lot this is speculation with the McCann rumors floating around.
If he can play 3B, you don't diminish his value at 1B.

If he can play 3B, you don't diminish his value at 1B.
Completely agree. His value right now is derived from the position he plays (isn't everyone's?). However they need to protect him long term as well. In which case 1B makes sense at some point (even if it's not the most optimal choice).

Hate long term deals for catchers but Posey could retire tomorrow and it would be money well spent for the last couple of years.
I think some spring in the not too distant future, the Giants and Posey would both be well served to see how he does at 3B. He played SS in college and has enough arm for the hot corner.

His bat would be a bigger plus at third that if he's moved to first when his catching days are over. A lot depends on the development of Sanchez and Andrew Susac. The Panda is signed for two more years. At this point, I'd be OK to let him walk out the door while he can still fit through it. I question whether he can stay at third long term.
Hector Sanchez wouldn't be the worst catcher in the league right now. Andrew Susac had a decent year at AA.

Joe Torre moved to 3B at age 30 and had a MVP year. The Reds didn't move Johnny Bench until age 35 but it was a failure. I think the Giants are in a no lose position. If the experiment is successful, they have a number of different options. Worst case, they still have one of the three best catchers in baseball.

Users who are viewing this thread