What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official National Signing Day thread*** (4 Viewers)

Oregon is a great program, he wants to stay close to home and wants to major in Sports Marketing. His coach has been steering him away from Oregon all along, not just in the last week.
Do you have some inside information here? Because I've been following his recruitment incredibly closely since this summer (as a Neb fan) and all I've read is him consistently saying that distance didn't matter, and was really looking for the school where he felt most comfortable and had the best fit. Plus, Oregon was still considered to be in the running right up until the last round of in-homes two weeks ago. His coach may well be a ####, but it's also possible that the kid just likes the other schools more. We know for a fact that he loves the defensive tradition of Nebraska, and it's sort of hard to compare Oregon's if that's one of the things he's interested in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't wait to see Seastrunk in that Oregon offense, I got to see him play a couple of times and he's really, really good.

cautiously optimistic about Jordan Hicks and Jackson Jeffcoat committing to the real UT tomorrow...
:shock: The bigger news is Mac Brown able to snatch an Ohio kid out of his state. Incredible.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/news/story?id=4869265

The 6-foot-2, 210-pound Hicks, the nation's top-ranked outside linebacker, chose Texas over Ohio State and Florida. He recorded 80 tackles, three sacks and two interceptions during his senior season. It is the first time that Longhorns coach Mack Brown has attracted a player out of Ohio.

cautiously optimistic about Jordan Hicks and Jackson Jeffcoat committing to the real UT tomorrow...
:shock: The bigger news is Mac Brown able to snatch an Ohio kid out of his state. Incredible.

The 6-foot-2, 210-pound Hicks, the nation's top-ranked outside linebacker, chose Texas over Ohio State and Florida. He recorded 80 tackles, three sacks and two interceptions during his senior season. It is the first time that Longhorns coach Mack Brown has attracted a player out of Ohio.
I'm pretty certain Hicks was born in Texas and spent a lot of his childhood there. So it's not exactly like Mack pulled a born and bred Ohio prospect down to Texas.

Hicks was born in Texas. Only moved to Ohio in the last few years. UT was his dream school to play for all his life.

I'm pretty certain Hicks was born in Texas and spent a lot of his childhood there. So it's not exactly like Mack pulled a born and bred Ohio prospect down to Texas.
I would imagine if you make a name for yourself playing Ohio HS football and considered the best at your position in the nation, regardless where you were born, the odds of paying for Ohio St is pretty high.This was an interesting read:

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2010/1/13...own-to-the-wire

A decision appears imminent from Westchester linebacker Jordan Hicks, the consensus top linebacker in the country and second-ranked player by ESPN.

National recruitments extending to National Signing Day or the weeks prior are filled with tension and fan expectations, dreams and fantasies of the player wearing those beautiful school colors -- even Okie lite fans love their Halloween orange.

The final days are also filled with rumors, innuendo, speculation, and rampant speculation. It is perhaps no surprise, then, that rumors have been flying about the Interwebs concerning Hicks and his eventual destination. Over the last several days, he's been rumored to be a lock for Austin, headed to Florida, and set to commit to Ohio State -- and that was Tuesday alone. Given the nature of message boards and the way that information spreads in our world today, it's extremely difficult to separate fact from fiction, speculation from rampant speculation and to determine how much credit to assign to each particular rumor of the moment.

With that in mind, let's break down what's really going on with Hicks -- what is known and what isn't.

Star-divide

The Longhorns had the last word with the Lakota West star linebacker, as Will Muschamp met with Hicks for a reported three hours on Saturday at his home. Hicks hasn't gone into any detail about what was discussed during that visit and it's doubtful that much information about their conversation will really ever emerge. However, it's interesting that Muschamp spent so much time with Hicks and his family -- in terms of scheme and how Hicks would fit into the Texas defense, there doesn't seem like a great deal to discuss.

Hicks is such a talented player and the Texas scheme so similar to that run at his high school that learning the defense shouldn't be a problem if Hicks chooses Texas, particularly if he does decide to enroll early. However, to enroll early at Texas he would need to make a decision within the next several days, as the spring semester begins on January 19th, now less than one week away.

Whether or not Hicks could acclimate quickly enough to the Texas system to contribute in the fall could have been a major topic of conversation -- participation on special teams would certainly be a given, but how Muschamp plans to use linebackers Emmanuel Acho and Keenan Robinson, as well as the progress of players like Dustin Earnest, Ryan Roberson, and Tariq Allen, as well as Dravannti Johnson, who is probably best considered as a hybrid defensive end/linebacker, was probably more important to Hicks. Following that line of speculation, in terms of how Hicks weighs his feeings for Texas, the depth chart and potential for early playing time is likely a bigger concern than any potential adjustments in scheme, which would be minimal.

For Muschamp, this is his first major national recruitment not only as the Texas defensive coordinator, but also as the head-coach-in-waiting. As such, it will represent the first deep insight into his ability as a recruiter and, more importantly, as the "closer" on the defensive side of the ball. In many ways, Hicks is the

One other factor that works strongly in favor of the Longhorns is not exactly news at this point but bears repeating -- Hicks' mother, Kelly Justice, worked with Texas strength and conditioning coach Jeff Madden at Colorado, giving her a familiarity and possibly even a friendship with the man who would be responsible for maximizing the physical gifts of her son.

Oregon is a great program, he wants to stay close to home and wants to major in Sports Marketing. His coach has been steering him away from Oregon all along, not just in the last week.
Do you have some inside information here? Because I've been following his recruitment incredibly closely since this summer (as a Neb fan) and all I've read is him consistently saying that distance didn't matter, and was really looking for the school where he felt most comfortable and had the best fit. Plus, Oregon was still considered to be in the running right up until the last round of in-homes two weeks ago. His coach may well be a ####, but it's also possible that the kid just likes the other schools more. We know for a fact that he loves the defensive tradition of Nebraska, and it's sort of hard to compare Oregon's if that's one of the things he's interested in.
Believe me...distance is a huge factor. If he doesn't pick Nebraska, you know why. His mom wants him close to home and he's the man of the family. His mom also really bonded on the OV to UCLA with other Nigerian prospects (Aramide Olaniyan is committed to UCLA). He really likes Nebraska (and don't get me wrong, mom loves the Huskers too. Pelini and co. made a huge impression during their in-home) but will he be able to leave his family? That's what it comes down to. This is also why I don't think he's UCLA bound. California might be close to Oregon, but LA is not close to Portland. It's what? A 10 hours drive? Might as well fly to Nebraska, it'll be faster. This is why I think it's instate or Nebraska for Owa. But family/distance from home is a HUGE factor. It's why Nebraska wasn't even in his top 4 a few weeks ago before he reconsidered.

:goodposting: The bigger news is Mac Brown able to snatch an Ohio kid out of his state. Incredible.

Hicks was born in Texas. Only moved to Ohio in the last few years. UT was his dream school to play for all his life.
Got it. Either way, this is a big signing by Muschamp

I commented, just before K****n bolted that Tennessee would finish strong. They were at #5 at that time. Well, chaos erupted, and they slid to like #20. Now...back to #7 and word is they will finish way strong on NSD. They look to have a massive WR class, another top RB, the top K/P, and some great DE/DT.

Believe me...distance is a huge factor. If he doesn't pick Nebraska, you know why. His mom wants him close to home and he's the man of the family. His mom also really bonded on the OV to UCLA with other Nigerian prospects (Aramide Olaniyan is committed to UCLA). He really likes Nebraska (and don't get me wrong, mom loves the Huskers too. Pelini and co. made a huge impression during their in-home) but will he be able to leave his family? That's what it comes down to. This is also why I don't think he's UCLA bound. California might be close to Oregon, but LA is not close to Portland. It's what? A 10 hours drive? Might as well fly to Nebraska, it'll be faster. This is why I think it's instate or Nebraska for Owa. But family/distance from home is a HUGE factor. It's why Nebraska wasn't even in his top 4 a few weeks ago before he reconsidered.
This is pretty much how we have it read also. He basically said flat out after his in home with Nebraska that he needed his Mom and family to feel the same level of comfort with the coaches that he did, since she didn't come out on his visit. Distance is almost always an issue to some degree. Rivals tracks this, and distance is far and away listed as the top reason that recruits choose a school. That said, I think Nebraska is in an extremely strong position here. Anyway, my main point was that scotsman was making it sound like there was a character issue with Owa, and I don't think anything could be further from the truth.

This is pretty much how we have it read also. He basically said flat out after his in home with Nebraska that he needed his Mom and family to feel the same level of comfort with the coaches that he did, since she didn't come out on his visit. Distance is almost always an issue to some degree. Rivals tracks this, and distance is far and away listed as the top reason that recruits choose a school. That said, I think Nebraska is in an extremely strong position here. Anyway, my main point was that scotsman was making it sound like there was a character issue with Owa, and I don't think anything could be further from the truth.
I agree, Nebraska has the lead. And from the sounds of it, Owa is a great kid. He let the recruiting process play out and has been trimming down his list in the last few weeks. Can't blame the kid for having a hard time making such a tough decision.

ChampBailey24 said:
gump said:
Steve Tasker said:
Keenan Allen and Zach Maynard visiting Cal today.
Everyone is saying it's 50/50 Alabama or Clemson at this point, but who knows.Keenan must really want to play WR...if he passes up a chance to play Safety for Nick Saban.
More about playing with his brother than playing WR. Though it's a plus. Whatever it takes to get him on campus.
Sounds like Alabama has found room for his brother also.

ChampBailey24 said:
gump said:
Steve Tasker said:
Keenan Allen and Zach Maynard visiting Cal today.
Everyone is saying it's 50/50 Alabama or Clemson at this point, but who knows.Keenan must really want to play WR...if he passes up a chance to play Safety for Nick Saban.
More about playing with his brother than playing WR. Though it's a plus. Whatever it takes to get him on campus.
Sounds like Alabama has found room for his brother also.
Yeah, conflicted reports but it seems like Bama's getting it done.

:thumbup: at Allen blackmailing Alabama to get Maynard a spot. Guy'll never see the field.
There's a debate on the UA boards on whether an elite athlete like Allen is worth two spots...consensus is that he is....especially if he can play both ways.

James Stone had this to say when asked why he's now reconsidering UT after originally dropping them with Kiff:

"Coach Dooley's more of a stable person."

:thumbup:

:lmao: at Allen blackmailing Alabama to get Maynard a spot. Guy'll never see the field.
There's a debate on the UA boards on whether an elite athlete like Allen is worth two spots...consensus is that he is....especially if he can play both ways.
Well I'm not disagreeing, I haven't seen enough of Allen to really know. I have, however, seen enough of Maynard. No doubt the kid's talented, but he was in serious, serious trouble of losing his starting QB job to either an RS-Soph, RS-Fr, or a true freshman. It was supposedly going to be a wide open 4-man race during spring ball....and now it's a 3-man race.Maybe he's played WR before, and I read some rumblings of him possibly playing WR at Clemson, but I haven't seen it. He's been a QB at least during his later HS years and both of his years at UB. He's an athlete, I'll agree with that, but he never really panned out into the running threat he was supposed to be.I just don't see him getting on the field, and I guess it might make me sound like a ####, but I think it's comical that he's throwing away any chance he has of actually playing college football to sit the bench at Alabama. Maybe he'd rather ride the pine at the prestige school and be with his brother rather than actually play the game. He's had his share of academic troubles too through the years. :shrug: I wish him the best, but I can't see him really getting on the field against a D-1 opponent barring a ton of injuries....which I think everyone knows. I wouldn't be surprised if he thought he had a legit shot at getting in the game though.

James Stone had this to say when asked why he's now reconsidering UT after originally dropping them with Kiff:"Coach Dooley's more of a stable person.":goodposting:
I live here in nashville and I'm pretty familiar with Stone (my son's team plays them each year). They really...REALLy, did not like Kiffin. One thing you are seeing is a lot of kids that were not looking at Tennessee are now looking at them seriously. Word is that the parents of the kids are loving Dooley, seeing him as an honorable person with much integrity. We'll see what that gets us.

James Stone had this to say when asked why he's now reconsidering UT after originally dropping them with Kiff:

:goodposting:
I live here in nashville and I'm pretty familiar with Stone (my son's team plays them each year). They really...REALLy, did not like Kiffin. One thing you are seeing is a lot of kids that were not looking at Tennessee are now looking at them seriously. Word is that the parents of the kids are loving Dooley, seeing him as an honorable person with much integrity. We'll see what that gets us.
I think that kind of coach is gonna do worlds of good for Tennessee. Look what it did for Texas. Kiffin's poison. His departure was a blessing in disguise...but you probably knew that the very first night.

:confused:
I think that kind of coach is gonna do world's of good for Tennessee. Look what it did for Texas. Kiffin's poison. His departure was a blessing in disguise...but you probably knew that the very first night.
After the initial anger began to wane...you're right. Who knows, but he seems to be the right kind of guy. Maybe the Kiffin fiasco was needed in order to put things in perspective.

Jeffcoat has committed to UT.Nebraska got a huge commit for 2011, as QB Jamal Turner verballed last night. The Huskers had a huge lead for the kid, but it was pretty surprising that he committed last night as he had recently talked about visiting OU and Bama junior days.The 3 top remaining targets for Nebraska, Owa, Cooper, and Carnes, are all announcing their decisions on signing day.I'm pretty optimistic about Owa and Carnes. Cooper I have no idea.
Carnes commits to Western Kentucky

Jeffcoat has committed to UT.Nebraska got a huge commit for 2011, as QB Jamal Turner verballed last night. The Huskers had a huge lead for the kid, but it was pretty surprising that he committed last night as he had recently talked about visiting OU and Bama junior days.The 3 top remaining targets for Nebraska, Owa, Cooper, and Carnes, are all announcing their decisions on signing day.I'm pretty optimistic about Owa and Carnes. Cooper I have no idea.
Now apparently not. A lot of conflicting reports this weekend, but according to Brion it's back to a signing day announcement. Looking at all the reports that came out this weekend, it seems like WK is going to be his choice though.

Now apparently not. A lot of conflicting reports this weekend, but according to Brion it's back to a signing day announcement. Looking at all the reports that came out this weekend, it seems like WK is going to be his choice though.
Seems like he committed to the coaches but isn't making it public and is still thinking about his final decision.

Seems like he committed to the coaches but isn't making it public and is still thinking about his final decision.
Yep, or he just wants to have his announcement event. Either way, not holding out much hope on this one.

OU have a chance at Hicks? That UT class will be loaded.
hicks is down to uf, osu and ut with uf being mostly out of it. jeffcoat is down to uh, ou and ut. theres talk of him going to ou b/c of his sister.

we'll see
Apparently Hicks and Jeffcoat are announcing around the same time tomorrow, and the only school they're considering in common is Texas so...who knows. Jeffcoat had originally said he was going to announce on the 31st, but he moved it up to tomorrow. If we got either one of these it will be great. Both would be an amazing end to an already incredible class.

There's also a kicker in town from Shreveport, Louisiana, Evangel H. S., who's currently committed to Arkansas. Will Russ. 6'3", 185#, also is a good punter and plays third base for his state champion baseball team...so he's a good athlete. Has a good leg, coupla 49 yarders to his credit, kicking off the ground. Apparently Arkansas brought in another kicker and Texas offered, so he decided to take the trip. This makes sense since both our best kickers are graduating. Rivals has him as the nation's "most Versatile" kicker and had this to say about him: "Has a huge leg as a place kicker but may have more upside as a punter. Also a standout baseball player."

Bachman also expects the visit to be a formality.

“It’s my understanding that Texas has already offered Will a scholarship,” Bachman said. “And I fully expect him to commit to Texas.”

Why?

“Because Texas is Texas,” Bachman said.
Again, as always, we'll see.
Will Russ committed today...Texas' commitment #25.

Yep, or he just wants to have his announcement event. Either way, not holding out much hope on this one.
Wonder how big of a factor Jamal Turner committing last week is.

Yes, the odds dramatically go up when you have monster recruiting class after monster recruiting class. But you obviously still need to develop and coach those players. For example, if you were to ask the average LSU fan if they would be willing to trade Les Miles for a better HC, but there would be a slight downtick in their annual recruting rankings (instead of perennially top 10, perennially top 20). I wonder what they would say?
Les' MO has been recruiting. Looks like his coaching is starting to affect his recruiting. I have not been following recruiting because of the Saints, but I'm glad I have the distraction. Les' coaching will not get better, the sooner LSU realizes this the better for their program. Until then we will continue to be in the talks on talent alone.

Wonder how big of a factor Jamal Turner committing last week is.
Probably a little, but if he does go to WKU I have to believe that distance and the comfort factor of remaining in the South is the biggest reason. From what I've read he had never been on an airplane before he took his official to Nebraska; that's a pretty big jump to make to then commit to spending the next 4 or 5 years of your life there. It would be geat to have both, but if I had to choose I would much rather have Turner.

Glen Stanley waffling about going to UT after a visit to USC. Wouldn't be a huge loss, I don't think. Vols picked up 2 DBs and a LB over the weekend too (a 4*, 3*, and 2*). Still in the running for Ambles.

Jeffrey Whitaker 4star DL from Georgia (54th nationally overall per Rivals) announcing he'll sign with Auburn on Wednesday.

link

Sounds like Allen had a great visit at CAL this weekend, and may have made the surprise choice to commit there...rumor is his parents will move wherever he goes, so distance isn't an issue...we'll see.

Abraham said:
Glen Stanley waffling about going to UT after a visit to USC. Wouldn't be a huge loss, I don't think. Vols picked up 2 DBs and a LB over the weekend too (a 4*, 3*, and 2*). Still in the running for Ambles.
And Vols are looking good for Da'Rick Rogers as well.

Sounds like Keenan Allen would rather be in the visitor's locker room in T-Town next September 11th. :shrug:
A bama fan who goes to Greensboro (KA's HS) is saying that KA's been wearing a lot of PSU gear recently. TIFWIW.
Not going to get my hopes up because he could just be playing the game. But we really do need another QB to compete with the young guys we have so it's not that unreasonable for PSU to take his brother as well. He looked decent at Buffalo last year.

Coleman chose RU over Maryland. Pairing a 6' 6" receiver with 4.5 speed with Sanu and Savage in that offense has me with half a chub, provided they can rebuild the line.

Marcus Lattimore (#1 RB per Rivals & ESPN) announced he'll be attending South Carolina

ConstruxBoy said:
Sounds like Keenan Allen would rather be in the visitor's locker room in T-Town next September 11th. :goodposting:
A bama fan who goes to Greensboro (KA's HS) is saying that KA's been wearing a lot of PSU gear recently. TIFWIW.
Not going to get my hopes up because he could just be playing the game. But we really do need another QB to compete with the young guys we have so it's not that unreasonable for PSU to take his brother as well. He looked decent at Buffalo last year.
I've been out of pocket for two days...what exactly is going on with this saga? Clemson was a lock late last week, Cal a lock on Sunday...now Penn State, who's been recruiting him for 3 days? And there are stories of some 'handler'?Keep in mind I get the above info from biased sources....sources now saying both Alabama and Clemson walked away.

ConstruxBoy said:
Sounds like Keenan Allen would rather be in the visitor's locker room in T-Town next September 11th. :goodposting:
I've been out of pocket for two days...what exactly is going on with this saga? Clemson was a lock late last week, Cal a lock on Sunday...now Penn State, who's been recruiting him for 3 days? And there are stories of some 'handler'?Keep in mind I get the above info from biased sources....sources now saying both Alabama and Clemson walked away.
I heard the same thing about Bama walking away

Alabama did nab big Maryland Dematha OT Arie Kouandjio today. Saban needed a tackle pretty badly, but the best thing about this signing is that his younger brother may be the #1 overall prospect next year.

ConstruxBoy said:
Sounds like Keenan Allen would rather be in the visitor's locker room in T-Town next September 11th. :D
Are there any red flags with Allen? Maynard is notorious for his troubles in the classroom and was briefly suspended this past season (albeit for 1 quarter) for an undisclosed reason - he was suspended along with a WR, so it seems that whatever they did, they did together.

Users who are viewing this thread