What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Oakland A's 2008 Thread (1 Viewer)

Keys Myaths

Pokerguy
The starting lineup is going to have a lot of new faces this year with all the offseason trades, so let's go through it quickly.

This is projected as of now, but could change.

C: Kurt Suzuki--OBP has been very solid throughout the minors, so if he can continue that in the majors, it would be a good sign at catcher. The .327 he posted in 63 games last year in Oakland needs to be improved. Had a little more pop in his bat than I expected last year, which was nice to see.

1B: Daric Barton--In limited time last year, he was a monster for Oakland. If he's really that good, Nick Swisher will be a distant memory.

2B: Mark Ellis--Yes, that power outburst (19 homers) last year created a career year for the 30 year old. Good defensively, which helps, but I'd like to see a more long-term solution here.

3B: Eric Chavez--I still have faith that he could once again be what he used to, but that's weaning every season.

SS: Bobby Crosby--Have never been a fan. Never gets on base, overrated defensively, and the power has slipped. It's OK, though--he'll be hurt half the season anyway.

LF: Travis Buck--Will the doubles turn into homers? That could be good if he gains power over time. Get him in contact with Roger Clemens--fast.

CF: Chris Denorfia--Not nearly as high on this guy as Beane is. I'd honestly rather have Kotsay back.

RF: Carlos Gonzalez--I'm all for getting young players in the lineup on a rebuilding team, but see the Denorfia comments for my feelings on Gonzalez. At least he has power.

DH: Jack Cust--Going to be good for a very long time. Very, very good.

Too depressed to do pitching right now.

C: Kurt Suzuki--OBP has been very solid throughout the minors, so if he can continue that in the majors, it would be a good sign at catcher. The .327 he posted in 63 games last year in Oakland needs to be improved. Had a little more pop in his bat than I expected last year, which was nice to see.
The chubby Crimson Tide catcher who was the subject of "Moneyball"--is he ever going to make it?

The chubby Crimson Tide catcher who was the subject of "Moneyball"--is he ever going to make it?
He was at AAA last year. Probably lacks the raw power to stick.Keys, aren't you from Missouri or something?

He was at AAA last year. Probably lacks the raw power to stick.Keys, aren't you from Missouri or something?
I've moved around all my life, so I really have no ties to any team but Mizzou. The A's have been my baseball team of choice lately...but I'm much more of a baseball fan than a fan of any one team.

Subject of Moneyball? You mean Jeremy Brown? He's doing okay, but too old to make a real impact. He'll be a backup someday in the majors. Maybe. His OBP isn't what Beane thought it would be, and he lacks the power/defense to make up for it.

Not really sure where you get this from. He's 29 with about 500 career AB's.Strikes out a lot. Can't field. Can't run. If he was 23 or so, I'd agree that he has a chance to round out into a good one. Now, well, I think he is a DH. A dime a dozen type dh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really sure where you get this from. He's 29 with about 500 career AB's.Strikes out a lot. Can't field. Can't run. If he was 23 or so, I'd agree that he has a chance to round out into a good one. Now, well, I think he is a DH. A dime a dozen type dh.
I don't care that he can't run. Fielding's not an issue for a DH, and striking out a lot has minute (if any) correlation to offensive success.As for being old, he's never really gotten his shot until now. With a .408 OBP and a 147 OPS+, I really don't care that he's in his prime. Those are very, very good numbers, and as a DH, he won't get the wear and tear on him most players do.I say he's going to be very good for the next few years, possibly into his mid-30's. That's a long time.

Newest rumor out of the Cincinnati Enquirer has the Athletics asking for Bailey or Cueto, and Joey Votto (plus a throw-in) for Blanton.

Would be another coup for Beane, but not sure why Cincinnati would pull the trigger here. I've always felt Blanton was pretty damn overrated.

Newest rumor out of the Cincinnati Enquirer has the Athletics asking for Bailey or Cueto, and Joey Votto (plus a throw-in) for Blanton.Would be another coup for Beane, but not sure why Cincinnati would pull the trigger here. I've always felt Blanton was pretty damn overrated.
No way is Cincy making that deal

Newest rumor out of the Cincinnati Enquirer has the Athletics asking for Bailey or Cueto, and Joey Votto (plus a throw-in) for Blanton.Would be another coup for Beane, but not sure why Cincinnati would pull the trigger here. I've always felt Blanton was pretty damn overrated.
I think 'no way' is a bit harsh. We've seen a lot of teams do dumb things in the name of pitching.I do think Blanton will go sometime before the season starts. There's no reason to pay him the contract he's going to require, Oakland's not going to compete for a while--and you can probably get some very good talent for him. Why wouldn't you trade him at this point?

I think 'no way' is a bit harsh. We've seen a lot of teams do dumb things in the name of pitching.I do think Blanton will go sometime before the season starts. There's no reason to pay him the contract he's going to require, Oakland's not going to compete for a while--and you can probably get some very good talent for him. Why wouldn't you trade him at this point?
Of course Oakland would make the trade. No effin way the Reds do.

You're a strange one. I wasn't trying to convince you that Oakland was going to make the trade.But 'no way' is still harsh. Probably not is true, but again, some teams just go bat#### crazy over mediocre pitching.The second half of my statement was just arguing that Oakland will probably trade Blanton at some point--not necessarily to Cincy.Relax, cowboy.

David Ortiz strikes out a lot, can't field, and can't run. He also didn't put together a good year until he was in his late 20's. He also took off career-wise after getting past some wrist issues.Not to say that Cust is Ortiz, but to say that a fat blob who shouldn't even own a glove and couldn't outrun most of the grounds crew can have value.

Newest rumor out of the Cincinnati Enquirer has the Athletics asking for Bailey or Cueto, and Joey Votto (plus a throw-in) for Blanton.

Would be another coup for Beane, but not sure why Cincinnati would pull the trigger here. I've always felt Blanton was pretty damn overrated.
You're a strange one. I wasn't trying to convince you that Oakland was going to make the trade.But 'no way' is still harsh. Probably not is true, but again, some teams just go bat#### crazy over mediocre pitching.

The second half of my statement was just arguing that Oakland will probably trade Blanton at some point--not necessarily to Cincy.

Relax, cowboy.
That trade is not even close, but all the article says is that the A's were asking for that deal. Whats the harm in shooting for the moon in deals like this? So Krivsky still probably hasn't stopped laughing, whats the harm done?FWIW, that would be more than the Reds were ever willing to put on the table for Bedard or Haren by all accounts.

You're a strange one. I wasn't trying to convince you that Oakland was going to make the trade.But 'no way' is still harsh. Probably not is true, but again, some teams just go bat#### crazy over mediocre pitching.

The second half of my statement was just arguing that Oakland will probably trade Blanton at some point--not necessarily to Cincy.

Relax, cowboy.
That trade is not even close, but all the article says is that the A's were asking for that deal. Whats the harm in shooting for the moon in deals like this? So Krivsky still probably hasn't stopped laughing, whats the harm done?FWIW, that would be more than the Reds were ever willing to put on the table for Bedard or Haren by all accounts.
Krivsky's made one of the most terribly brutal baseball trades in this decade, I would aim for the stars initially as well.

When Rich Harden feel tremendous, what else do you really need?

Rich Harden has thrown off the mound three times in the past week and says he feels "tremendous."The news is a great sign that Harden will be ready to pitch one of the Athletics' season-opening games in Japan, provided he can make it through spring training without re-injuring the arm. Source: San Francisco Chronicle

The Denver Post reports that the Athletics want Andre Ethier, Andy LaRoche and a prospect from the Dodgers in exchange for Joe Blanton.Billy Beane is really working the "best available arm" angle to drive up Blanton's price, but it's unlikely the Dodgers would give up both Ethier and LaRoche for him.
I'd be fine with just LaRoche, personally. :coffee:

According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Red Sox are among the teams not interested in Joe Blanton.

The Dodgers and Reds have also been linked to Blanton, but the A's demands are said to be extremely high and a midseason deal might be more likely. The A's are also reportedly shopping Alan Embree, who could be of interest to contending teams as a situational left-hander.

According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Red Sox are among the teams not interested in Joe Blanton.The Dodgers and Reds have also been linked to Blanton, but the A's demands are said to be extremely high and a midseason deal might be more likely. The A's are also reportedly shopping Alan Embree, who could be of interest to contending teams as a situational left-hander.
The Red Sox don't make sense as a trade partner, so no surprise there. Because both teams value players similarly, there are smaller inefficiencies to exploit.Beane's aiming high to begin with, because that's what a good bargainer does. But I think when it comes down to it, he'll be happy with just LaRoche, or any of the Cincy three of Votto/Cueto/Bailey.

When Rich Harden feel tremendous, what else do you really need?

Rich Harden has thrown off the mound three times in the past week and says he feels "tremendous."The news is a great sign that Harden will be ready to pitch one of the Athletics' season-opening games in Japan, provided he can make it through spring training without re-injuring the arm. Source: San Francisco Chronicle
If he can be healthy for 10 or so starts, he'll be gone too. A's will be back - maybe next year, if not 2010.

Beane is a smart GM. With salary restraints and some big holes, he knows he can't win with the roster at it was, might as well blow the whole thing up. I think Street gets traded at the deadline, and he will bring some nice prospects.

Beane has restocked the farm with a ton of pitching, and he has some nice "MoneyBall" prospects on the way. 2007 should be an audition for many of the youngsters.

Beane is a smart GM. With salary restraints and some big holes, he knows he can't win with the roster at it was, might as well blow the whole thing up. I think Street gets traded at the deadline, and he will bring some nice prospects. Beane has restocked the farm with a ton of pitching, and he has some nice "MoneyBall" prospects on the way. 2007 should be an audition for many of the youngsters.
1. Street isn't the only one who will be traded by the deadline.2. It's 2008.

Keys Myaths said:
BP Pecota projections have the A's at 78-84 this year. Sadly, that's a lot better than I thought.
The A's are pretty good at stocking up with competent infantrymen, ie. Jack Hannahan last year, so 74 doesn't shock me. Beane's ability to evaluate low-end players seems to be much stronger than for high-end ones (Chavez, Dye, Kendall, etc.)Hopefully Blanton, Street and Embree are on the way out as well. I'm really excited about a possible trade with the Reds, given their plethora of talent.

Keys Myaths said:
BP Pecota projections have the A's at 78-84 this year. Sadly, that's a lot better than I thought.
The A's are pretty good at stocking up with competent infantrymen, ie. Jack Hannahan last year, so 74 doesn't shock me. Beane's ability to evaluate low-end players seems to be much stronger than for high-end ones (Chavez, Dye, Kendall, etc.)
:thumbup:Frank Thomas down? Ray Durham?I think he's done OK with the higher-end players. He just doesn't get a chance that often.Kendall was a bad signing. Period. I'm not sure any of us could've predicted what happened to Chavez.

The A's are pretty good at stocking up with competent infantrymen, ie. Jack Hannahan last year, so 74 doesn't shock me. Beane's ability to evaluate low-end players seems to be much stronger than for high-end ones (Chavez, Dye, Kendall, etc.)
:shrug:Frank Thomas down? Ray Durham?I think he's done OK with the higher-end players. He just doesn't get a chance that often.Kendall was a bad signing. Period. I'm not sure any of us could've predicted what happened to Chavez.
If Hurt was a high-end player when the A's signed him, why didn't he get a multi-year deal elsewhere? The A's squeezed a good year out of him, but nobody was really beating down the guy's door at that time.Durham was rented and played decently, but not great, then left for SF. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread