What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****Official** Oakland Raiders 2008 Off-season Thread** (1 Viewer)

WVU Alum

Footballguy
So here is what we know:

We have a lot of holes on the DL and OL. We need WRs since I expect Porter to go. Please Porter, go. I'd like to see impact players added to the defense, D-tackle is most obvious but LB should not be overlooked.

What we don't know:

Who is the coach at the start of the season?

Beyond that I still think Russell was a mistake at #1, I have little faith in Fargas (more than Rhodes and Jordan though), and I have stopped trying to figure out how the front office rates free agents because we tend to swing and miss.

So here we can keep track of said misses and maybe a few hits.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not crazy about going and getting Gibril Wilson, if that rumor is true. I would have preferred Madieu Williams. if Wilson comes here, I wonder if that means Huf goes to FS.

Tommy Kelly. I don't get it.

Kwame Harris. I do get this. Tom Cable thinks he can make a ZBS tackle out of this slug. Better not be a big contract, however. If this is indeed a Cable-endorsed signing, it gives me hope that he and the staff may stick around.

So far we have resigned Tommy Kelly to a 7 year, $50 million deal ($25.125 in first three seasons) and $18.125 in guarantees. Wow.

Fargas resigned but I can't find the terms.

I've bled silver and black for a long time but with Al Davis turning his back on us fans I'm going to turn my back on them unless he dies real soon.

So far we have resigned Tommy Kelly to a 7 year, $50 million deal ($25.125 in first three seasons) and $18.125 in guarantees. Wow.
Highest paid DL???Al Davis's Commitment to Excrement in full effect.
per rotoworldContract Information for Justin Fargas 2/13/2008: Signed a three-year, $12 million contract. The deal contains $6 million in guarantees, all in the first year. Another $2 million is available through incentives. 2008: $605,000, 2009: $2.5 million, 2010: $1.5 million, 2011: Free Agent

Highest paid DL???Al Davis's Commitment to Excrement in full effect.
per rotoworldContract Information for Justin Fargas 2/13/2008: Signed a three-year, $12 million contract. The deal contains $6 million in guarantees, all in the first year. Another $2 million is available through incentives. 2008: $605,000, 2009: $2.5 million, 2010: $1.5 million, 2011: Free Agent
That is actually a pretty good contract for the Raiders. Fargas was effective last year.

how do you guys think the wrs will shake out herecurry and ?
Still in the running for Berrian I think. He's not a done deal for Minnesota.
NO! No! No! Please, NO! I am stuck in Chicago and that means I watch a lot more Bears games than I should. Berrian is nothing special. I much rather stick with Higgins for a speed guy and look at a real WR like Bryant or even take a look at Walker if he can pass a physical.

-- Raiders; Gibril Wilson Agree to Contract --

Fri Feb 29, 2008 --from FFMastermind.com

Updating an earlier story, NFL.com's Adam Schefter reports the Oakland Raiders have indeed reached an agreement with former New York Giants free-agent S Gibril Wilson on a six-year contract worth $39 million, including $16 million guaranteed.

-- Raiders; Gibril Wilson Agree to Contract --Fri Feb 29, 2008 --from FFMastermind.comUpdating an earlier story, NFL.com's Adam Schefter reports the Oakland Raiders have indeed reached an agreement with former New York Giants free-agent S Gibril Wilson on a six-year contract worth $39 million, including $16 million guaranteed.
Interesting... they keep trying to bring in new safeties. I would feel more comfortable if they would bring in some new DT's.

-- Raiders; Gibril Wilson Agree to Contract --Fri Feb 29, 2008 --from FFMastermind.comUpdating an earlier story, NFL.com's Adam Schefter reports the Oakland Raiders have indeed reached an agreement with former New York Giants free-agent S Gibril Wilson on a six-year contract worth $39 million, including $16 million guaranteed.
Interesting... they keep trying to bring in new safeties. I would feel more comfortable if they would bring in some new DT's.
This is a very good signing....Wilson and Madieu Williams were the top safeties on the market. And the best thing about this is that it allows Huff to go to his natural FS position...... :pickle: I don't know what all the sadness is about up in here for you Raider fans.....At least our management is trying their best to go out and bring in some talent.....I've got high hopes this year (as always) and I'm starting to really think we will be OK. And Al D isn't done just yet.......But I agree with an earlier post, Just Say NO to Berrian!!!

This is a very good signing....Wilson and Madieu Williams were the top safeties on the market. And the best thing about this is that it allows Huff to go to his natural FS position...... :thumbup: I don't know what all the sadness is about up in here for you Raider fans.....At least our management is trying their best to go out and bring in some talent.....I've got high hopes this year (as always) and I'm starting to really think we will be OK. And Al D isn't done just yet.......But I agree with an earlier post, Just Say NO to Berrian!!!
Did not mean to suggest that I thought it was a bad signing. I just thought it is interesting that last year they went to get Darius (eventually cutting him) and not Wilson. Wilson certainly looked to have talent in the little that I saw of him. I would like to see us go after Stroud now that Rogers is off the trading block. I want us to bring in some good DT talent. Question... normally the SS is a better fantasy position but I wonder if this does move Huff to FS if he becomes more of a ball hawk? Any thoughts there? I am scared about Berrian because he seems like a guy that Al would fall in love with and he really is not worth the money it will take to sign him. Let him go to the Vikings. We do need to bring in a quality WR though but I have not seen anything that hints to the Raiders seriously going after any of the possible WR's on the market and I see the rookie crop to be a shallow on this year.

So far I am happy with the players the Raiders have retained and brought in.

I am happy that they put the tag on Asomugha. He was a player that absolutely needed to be retained. I hope they find a way to sign him long term.

I hope that the charges against Washington don't end up affecting his season.

The Fargas resigning was the best move the Raiders could make for their backfield prior to the draft. There were no other FA's hitting the market that would have been a better addition. Fargas brings a knowledge of the offence and the Raider to the backfield that a new player wouldn't be able to. I don't see him as an every down back, but a solid change of pace player that can be used as a drop off value for Russell.

Another solid move was letting Porter go. It was his time to go, period. I think he probably runs about a 6.75 40 now and can't break a tackle. If the Raiders gave him the money he got from Jax, I would have been very upset.

The signing of Tommy Kelly looks bad at first because of the numbers shown on paper, but I think it was smart to give him a good deal before any of the other DT's signed. The Raiders maintained a player at a position they needed to address, especially with the departure of Sapp. Here's hoping that he stays healthy.

My favorite move by far was the release of Sims. I couldn't stand watching that guy false start every 2nd play. That release along should reduce the Raiders penalties per game by about 4.

The signing of Wilson shows that the Raiders know they needed to move Huff to get the best production out of him. I like this move a lot! Best safety FA available and they signed him quick!!

I was surprised by the size of the contract that Harris got, but like a previous poster said, if Cable wanted this guy then I am good with the signing.

I am looking forward to seeing how the Raiders address the need for WR. Walker was released tonight. That screams Davis pick to me. Vetern player who played for a divisional opponent coming off of injury. Not sure I would be happy with the signing, because there is a lot of questions about his injury and if he can get healthy. But I woudn't be surprised to walk up tomorrow moring and hear that Walker has been in contact with the Raiders.

Berrian is a guy that I would actually like the Raiders to sign. Not necessarily at the cost he will run, but I think he is the best WR available at the time. I think he would be a MUCH better signing then a Bryant Johnson.

Oh, and I am also interested in seeing who they bring in at QB to help Russell develop and be the 2nd string.

McCown is gone and already signed with the Dolphins. Culpepper is a FA (I think) and likely won't return as he wants to start and play. So that only leaves Walter as the other QB on the roster.

So far I am happy with the players the Raiders have retained and brought in.I am happy that they put the tag on Asomugha. He was a player that absolutely needed to be retained. I hope they find a way to sign him long term.I hope that the charges against Washington don't end up affecting his season.The Fargas resigning was the best move the Raiders could make for their backfield prior to the draft. There were no other FA's hitting the market that would have been a better addition. Fargas brings a knowledge of the offence and the Raider to the backfield that a new player wouldn't be able to. I don't see him as an every down back, but a solid change of pace player that can be used as a drop off value for Russell.Another solid move was letting Porter go. It was his time to go, period. I think he probably runs about a 6.75 40 now and can't break a tackle. If the Raiders gave him the money he got from Jax, I would have been very upset. The signing of Tommy Kelly looks bad at first because of the numbers shown on paper, but I think it was smart to give him a good deal before any of the other DT's signed. The Raiders maintained a player at a position they needed to address, especially with the departure of Sapp. Here's hoping that he stays healthy.My favorite move by far was the release of Sims. I couldn't stand watching that guy false start every 2nd play. That release along should reduce the Raiders penalties per game by about 4.The signing of Wilson shows that the Raiders know they needed to move Huff to get the best production out of him. I like this move a lot! Best safety FA available and they signed him quick!!I was surprised by the size of the contract that Harris got, but like a previous poster said, if Cable wanted this guy then I am good with the signing.I am looking forward to seeing how the Raiders address the need for WR. Walker was released tonight. That screams Davis pick to me. Vetern player who played for a divisional opponent coming off of injury. Not sure I would be happy with the signing, because there is a lot of questions about his injury and if he can get healthy. But I woudn't be surprised to walk up tomorrow moring and hear that Walker has been in contact with the Raiders.Berrian is a guy that I would actually like the Raiders to sign. Not necessarily at the cost he will run, but I think he is the best WR available at the time. I think he would be a MUCH better signing then a Bryant Johnson.
Everything up to the last was either spot on or close enough for me to cautiously agree with. Berrian, however, would be a horrible signing and would be a huge waste of money. I would be much happier with the health risk of Walker or solid but likely not spectacular Johnson. He would be Jett but without the one good year and I do not think Jett ever demanded near that money.

Gibril Wilson is a nice addition. He's not exactly a Champ Bailey in coverage but he has a nose for the ball and is a playmaker. He should be a great fit in Ryan's defense.

One thing about Al Davis is that he can be questioned on a number of things, but not on his willingness to break the bank. Now how well that spending works out is another matter...

Per Rotoworld:

Free agent Bernard Berrian is reportedly en route to Oakland.

The Vikings couldn't get him signed immediately, not that they're entirely out of the running. Berrian is the deep threat big-armed JaMarcus Russell needs and Al Davis has tons of cap room, even after the Tommy Kelly signing.

Interesting that the Vikes couldn't get Berrian locked up during his visit there.

Per Rotoworld:

The Vikings couldn't get him signed immediately, not that they're entirely out of the running. Berrian is the deep threat big-armed JaMarcus Russell needs and Al Davis has tons of cap room, even after the Tommy Kelly signing.

Interesting that the Vikes couldn't get Berrian locked up during his visit there.
:hangover: Please no.

Per Rotoworld:

Just read that as well. I just can't see him getting the money he's reportedly asking for. Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports free-agent WR Bernard Berrian (Bears) is scheduled to visit the Oakland Raiders Saturday, March 1.

link

Berrian's speed and stats (fantasy or otherwise) might make you think, hmmm... he could maybe help my team.

But, man, he is one of those guys that - when you actually watch him play - you think, keep him as far away from my team as possible! He quits on routes and doesn't have great hands. What a combo for disaster. I think you get the same, or more, with Higgins at a far less price, then you go get Walker at 70 cents on the dollar.

If anything, I think the Raiders like what they see in Z Miller, and Berrian is the burner they send deep to open up the underneath routes... At least that is assuming that there is any sort of strategy behind the Oakland signings (which is a big assumption).

:thumbup:

kelly at that price, incomprehensible. & this better not have any impact on our draft if mcfadden is gone at 1.04

kwame, same old ####, but we'll see

wilson, al has to get someone who played in last years superbowl, but i think this guys a pretty good player.

berrian, i'd actually like to see, but we'd still need someone with height that we'll have find in the fourth or later.

no backup qb worth a #### is troubling as well :pleasenotdavidcarr, pleasenotdavidcarr: although, he could teach russell how to take a beating.

I actually like all the signings by the Raiders if you think about the players and forget about money. As we have seen the NFL salary cap can be worked around if you have a solid front office. If any of these guys are bums... you cut them and move on.

Kelly was an above average DE as far as run stuffing goes and shifting to DT he'll have a little more quickness compared to other DTs. If we draft Dorsey... oh boy!

Wilson is a playmaker and like others have said allows Huff to move to FS.

We've re-signed Fargas and Asomugha.

I'm not thrilled about Berrian either (would like to see Higgins + Javon walker combo), but we just have Curry and Miller as proven targets and if Cable likes Harris I'm down with it.

At #4 I think whoever the Raiders end up with will be a good pick. (1. Dorsey 2. J. Long 3. C. Long 4. McFadden my order of preference )

I actually like all the signings by the Raiders if you think about the players and forget about money. As we have seen the NFL salary cap can be worked around if you have a solid front office. If any of these guys are bums... you cut them and move on. Kelly was an above average DE as far as run stuffing goes and shifting to DT he'll have a little more quickness compared to other DTs. If we draft Dorsey... oh boy!Wilson is a playmaker and like others have said allows Huff to move to FS.We've re-signed Fargas and Asomugha.I'm not thrilled about Berrian either (would like to see Higgins + Javon walker combo), but we just have Curry and Miller as proven targets and if Cable likes Harris I'm down with it.At #4 I think whoever the Raiders end up with will be a good pick. (1. Dorsey 2. J. Long 3. C. Long 4. McFadden my order of preference )
If Jake Long is sitting at 4, and we don't take him, I'm driving to Oakland and punching Robert Gallery in the face.

I actually like all the signings by the Raiders if you think about the players and forget about money. As we have seen the NFL salary cap can be worked around if you have a solid front office. If any of these guys are bums... you cut them and move on.

Kelly was an above average DE as far as run stuffing goes and shifting to DT he'll have a little more quickness compared to other DTs. If we draft Dorsey... oh boy!

Wilson is a playmaker and like others have said allows Huff to move to FS.

We've re-signed Fargas and Asomugha.

I'm not thrilled about Berrian either (would like to see Higgins + Javon walker combo), but we just have Curry and Miller as proven targets and if Cable likes Harris I'm down with it.

At #4 I think whoever the Raiders end up with will be a good pick. (1. Dorsey 2. J. Long 3. C. Long 4. McFaddenS.Ellis my order of preference )
If Jake Long is sitting at 4, and we don't take him, I'm driving to Oakland and punching Robert Gallery in the face.
Why? It would be much easier to run around him and kick him in the ###.

Just the raiders being the raiders....they LOVE the bad guy role dont they???

So far, the 2008 free-agency derby has become exactly what so many NFL coaches and general managers vowed it would not be: a scramble to pay the most money possible to the least impressive overall player pool in recent memory.

Hours before the signing period began, the Raiders, to the consternation of many NFL owners and general managers, raised the ceiling to new heights for free-agent defensive linemen.

Tommy Kelly - a non-Pro Bowl defensive end coming off an ACL injury that Oakland signed as a nondrafted rookie in 2004 - likely could have been retained with a transition tag, at a minimum.

Instead, the Raiders dumped an armored truck full of guaranteed money on Kelly, a staggering $18.13 million guaranteed, with $25.13 million coming to him in the first three years of a seven-year, $50.5 million contract.

Think this went over well with some big-market owners, many of whom have been crying foul over the NFL's current collective bargaining agreement that forces them to share profits with the league's poorer franchises?

Remember, the Raiders are among the NFL's lowest revenue-producing teams. Sure, their merchandise is a top seller. But without the lucrative income generated by a new stadium, luxury boxes, corporate sponsorships, electronic advertising and enthusiastic season-ticket sales, the franchise is ranked 28th among the 32 teams, according to the 2007 Forbes magazine list of team values.

The agreement demands that top revenue-generating franchises such as the Cowboys, Redskins, Patriots and Texans fund a supplemental pool that the "small market" or low-revenue teams may tap to remain viable and competitive in free agency and the draft.

The Raiders and 49ers are among that group that vacuums money from the pool.

So when other teams see the Raiders tossing nearly $19 million in guarantees to a defensive lineman who is not among the NFL's elite, it causes resentment around the league. That kind of move is considered irresponsible, especially if the team doing it doesn't contribute to the supplemental pool. Plus, it drives up market value for everyone.

The 49ers, though, had little choice but to hand $20 million guaranteed to Bengals defensive end Justin Smith if they hoped to lure one of the top linemen away from other interested teams, particularly the Vikings and Jaguars.

Free agency 2008 has seen big-name players change teams with enormous amounts of money in hand. Guard Alex Faneca, a player the 49ers were chasing, received $21 million in guarantees Saturday from the Jets as part of his five-year, $40 million contract - the most guaranteed money ever paid to a free-agent offensive lineman.

Kelly's deal includes the highest guarantee paid to a free-agent defensive lineman.

Agents and players are rejoicing. Meanwhile, frustrated owners such as Denver's Pat Bowlen, a critic of the current revenue-sharing plan, are more likely to opt out of the current CBA when the vote comes in November.

:rolleyes:

My favorite move by far was the release of Sims. I couldn't stand watching that guy false start every 2nd play. That release along should reduce the Raiders penalties per game by about 4.
:goodposting: This move is years overdue. He should have been released immediately after the Super Bowl loss to Tampa.

I think Kwame Harris is all but signed.

I read a rumor on another site that Shefter is reporting that Javon Walker is in town, and may be signed by Wednesday.

I think Kwame Harris is all but signed.I read a rumor on another site that Shefter is reporting that Javon Walker is in town, and may be signed by Wednesday.
Kwame Harris-T- Raiders Mar. 4 - 9:08 pm et Raiders agreed to terms with T Kwame Harris on a three-year, $16 million contract.Oakland had a close-up look for Harris' struggles, but that didn't discourage them. While this makes the Raiders slightly less likely to draft a tackle with the fourth overall pick, Harris will probably best be used as a reserve "swing" tackle.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...NFL&id=1741

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that Javon Walker is visiting the Raiders and could sign as soon as Wednesday.

Walker would replace Jerry Porter in Oakland, but signing with the Raiders won't do much to rekindle his fantasy value. Any team signing Walker will have to do a throrough check of his knee.
Breaking News: Javon Walker To Be a Raider NFL sources have confirmed to me at this hour that former Denver Bronco Javon Walker will sign a deal to join the AFC west rival Oakland Raiders barring any unforeseen glitches.

Terms of the deal were not immediately available for this report.

The day after the Broncos season ending victory over the Minnesota Vikings, Walker announced to the media that, “I don’t see it happening with Javon here.”

The Broncos subsequently released the superstar wide receiver from the organization. Walker had 26 receptions for 287 yards this pass season.

http://www.myfoxcolorado.com/myfox/pages/S...mp;pageId=6.2.1

Where you reading this, Knuckles??

Never mind, read my mind. Time for a drink!

I am happy the Raiders made a move to sign a WR. Although Walker makes me nervous. But only time will tell if his knee has healed. I would still like the Raiders to make a move for Drew Carter as it never hurts to have some depth at WR. Having Curry and Walker as your WR1 and WR2 is a bit risky given their past run of injuries.

I do agree with Mass, and am ok with $16 mill guaranteed, as I don't think it limits Oaklands ability to stay competitive in the FA market if they decide to do so.

I am happy the Raiders made a move to sign a WR. Although Walker makes me nervous. But only time will tell if his knee has healed. I would still like the Raiders to make a move for Drew Carter as it never hurts to have some depth at WR. Having Curry and Walker as your WR1 and WR2 is a bit risky given their past run of injuries.I do agree with Mass, and am ok with $16 mill guaranteed, as I don't think it limits Oaklands ability to stay competitive in the FA market if they decide to do so.
I'd be a lot more concerned about spending this money this year, if there was anything out there to grab. The shelves have been picked clean, the only thing left is 3 for a buck Ramen Noodles free agents.And we haven't even cut Lamont yet. We have plenty of cap room. There were zero WRs left, this was as good a move as was left.

massraider said:
kaso said:
I am happy the Raiders made a move to sign a WR. Although Walker makes me nervous. But only time will tell if his knee has healed. I would still like the Raiders to make a move for Drew Carter as it never hurts to have some depth at WR. Having Curry and Walker as your WR1 and WR2 is a bit risky given their past run of injuries.I do agree with Mass, and am ok with $16 mill guaranteed, as I don't think it limits Oaklands ability to stay competitive in the FA market if they decide to do so.
I'd be a lot more concerned about spending this money this year, if there was anything out there to grab. The shelves have been picked clean, the only thing left is 3 for a buck Ramen Noodles free agents.And we haven't even cut Lamont yet. We have plenty of cap room. There were zero WRs left, this was as good a move as was left.
I really wanted Walker... even more so over Berrian... and now I have mixed feelings about this. If they gave him such a deal, does that mean that they brought him in and his knees look great? I still would feel better if the deal was more incentive laden than shelling out a 'normal' contract for damaged goods. Hopefully his knee is fine and this will be a great WR for Russell to start to become a top tier QB as.

*scrape scrape scrape*
:confused: sccccccrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaappppppppeee!!!!!!!!just like i was saying last year..........TRADE DOWN. take the picks & move down...when will the corpse finally move on?if he gets it right, the old school raider way with harriss & walker then i'll eat t my hat. but me thinks he's reaching

If things work out and the three teams above us do not trade down, the 4 spot is prime for a move. There will likely still be the #1 QB, the #1 RB, the #1 DT maybe even the #1b DT. Teams are itching to take Ellis, Dorsey, and McFadden. Play on that and gain some picks/players. Thanks to the Giants winning the super bowl with a great Defensive front, teams will be slobbering over a shot at the big 2 at DT. But we will find some way to screw it up, I have little doubt with Al at the helm.

This is probably a stupid question, but is all the "Kiffin's getting canned/going to be forced to resign/going to be knocked off" talk dead and he'll be back in 2008? These stories dropped off the face of the earth a month ago.

This is probably a stupid question, but is all the "Kiffin's getting canned/going to be forced to resign/going to be knocked off" talk dead and he'll be back in 2008? These stories dropped off the face of the earth a month ago.
As for Lane Kiffin, he hasn’t been quoted in a single press release regarding any of the signings. Nor are the Raiders taking advantage of the signings with regard to the news cycle by trotting their new players out for a press conference or conference call, as the 49ers did with Justin Smith and Isaac Bruce.

It was standard procedure when the Raiders were winning division titles, but something they got away from once the losses began to pile up. Still, there were usually quotes attributed to the head coach, filtered through the team, about how happy he was to have so-and-so aboard.

In the photo of Walker signing his deal on Raiders.com, the receiver is flanked not by Kiffin, but by defensive backs coach Willie Brown.

Since the Raiders left the Senior Bowl, Kiffin has declined to speak on the record regarding his status with the club. While that might not be unusual, it is at least a little strange that Kiffin has had nothing to say via club press release about the deals worked out with Justin Fargas, Kelly, Gibril Wilson, Walker and Harris.

As for Lane Kiffin, he hasn’t been quoted in a single press release regarding any of the signings. Nor are the Raiders taking advantage of the signings with regard to the news cycle by trotting their new players out for a press conference or conference call, as the 49ers did with Justin Smith and Isaac Bruce.

It was standard procedure when the Raiders were winning division titles, but something they got away from once the losses began to pile up. Still, there were usually quotes attributed to the head coach, filtered through the team, about how happy he was to have so-and-so aboard.

In the photo of Walker signing his deal on Raiders.com, the receiver is flanked not by Kiffin, but by defensive backs coach Willie Brown.

Since the Raiders left the Senior Bowl, Kiffin has declined to speak on the record regarding his status with the club. While that might not be unusual, it is at least a little strange that Kiffin has had nothing to say via club press release about the deals worked out with Justin Fargas, Kelly, Gibril Wilson, Walker and Harris.

Nor did he give a public thanks through the team to Barry Sims for nine years of service.
http://www.ibabuzz.com/raidersblog/page/2/Still a very odd situation IMO.

The Walker contract

Just got a look at the actual contract figures for wide receiver Javon Walker.

Turns out the figures given to me Wednesday by the club ($6 million to sign, $5 million salary in each of the next two seasons) were in error.

Walker actually got $11 million to sign and has salaries of $4 million in 2009, $6 million in 2010, $8 million in 2011 and $10 million in 2012 and 2013.

There is also a $5 million roster bonus which, at the Raiders option, is scheduled to be picked up in 2009. It is in essence a three-year, $27 million contract, or a four-year, $35 million deal.

The same Raiders official who gave me the numbers Wednesday confirmed the error Thursday. He was relaying information given to him by someone else and had not actually seen the contract numbers.

So what’s to make of all this?

Are the Raiders overly sensitive to the perception that they’re overpaying to the point where they’d float false information? Doubtful, because the real numbers always bubble to the surface eventually.

Bottom line _ they were desperate for a play-making wide receiver to pair with JaMarcus Russell, thoroughly checked out Walker’s health (he’s had three knee surgeries) and rolled the dice with a monster contract.

If Walker catches 70-plus passes for 1,200 yards and gets to double figures in touchdowns, they’ll be taking bows. If Walker blows out his knee on Day 1 or becomes disenchanted with life in silver and black, the Raiders will take the heat.

Just as they have for the better part of the last five years.

Based off the invoice dates for the season ticket holders, I'd venture a guess at one of 4 dates. Just add one day to each date listed.1st 33%, non-refundable payment...err date - 3/212nd 33%, non-refundable payment..err date - 5/2final payment date - 6/6or after the fourth game if they are not 3-1 or better.just my opinion, but I think the Raider organization knows that the small group of season ticket holders they have would become even smaller if they remove Kiffin from the head coaching position before our first payments are due. (I know at least a dozen season ticket holders, including myself (24 total seats of payments), that called and/or wrote emails to the organization about our displeasure and readiness to not renew this year, when all this Kiffin being fired mess started.BTW, nothing like $34M dollars guaranteed to two players that have one good set of legs between them. Ridiculous. I like Walker, but this is too much $$$ for the risk IMO.

Rhodes, Green return

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

Wednesday, March 5th, 2008 at 6:21 pm in Oakland Raiders

487 Comments »

Running back Dominic Rhodes agreed to a restructured contract which dropped his salary from $3 million to $1.75 million.

Rhodes was also scheduled to receive a $2 million roster bonus Friday, and it is a safe bet that he agreed to take much less. The Raiders reduced the salary of LaMont Jordan in a similar fashion last season.

In his final two games in relief of an injured Justin Fargas, Rhodes ran for 337 yards on 56 carries against Jacksonville and San Diego, a pair of playoff caliber defenses.

Rhodes missed the first four games of the 2007 season for being in violation of the NFL’s substance abuse policy _ a pending suspension the Raiders knew was a possibility when they signed him.

By the time he returned, Jordan had injured his back but Fargas had caught the eye of the coaching staff and eventually became the starter and featured back.

Getting Rhodes to return serves as insurance in case Michael Bush, the 2007 fourth-round pick who missed the entire season recovering from a broken ankle (correction _ leg) doesn’t develop as hoped. The organization has high hopes for Bush’s skill set and size, however he remains an unknown quantity until he actually plays in an NFL game.

Assuming they don’t make a deal before draft day, it also makes for an interesting situation if Darren McFadden were to be available when the Raiders pick at No. 4. With Fargas, Bush and Rhodes, taking McFadden would seem to be a an unnecessary luxury unless they’re convinced he’s a once-in-a-decade talent.

Miami, picking at No. 1, has Ronnie Brown as its lead back. St. Louis, which picks second, is secure with Steven Jackson. Atlanta, which won a coin flip against Oakland for No. 3, recently signed free agent Michael Turner.

The Raiders, whose M.O. is usually to trade up rather than down, could be in prime position to make a deal for an established player, extra picks or both.

Word is the Raiders have also agreed to terms with offensive tackle Cornell Green on a two-year contract. Green had a career-high 10 starts last season before sustaining a knee injury and surrendering the right tackle spot to Paul McQuistan.

Users who are viewing this thread