What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pittsburgh Pirates 2014 Thread*** (2 Viewers)

Pirates having a nice offseason. Still think they need platoon mate for Pedro at first. they need to call Kyle Blanks.

Pirates evidently were trying to land Neshek but couldn't compete with Houston's 2 year/$12.5 million offer. Am not sure they'd go that high with Melancon's salary amount pending. Still, the LP Bastardo is 5 years younger than Neshek, and may be a good replacement for Justin Wilson OR Paul Prudhomme and Emiril Lagasse for that matter.

I kinda wondered, but not for long, if the Pirates were shopping someone like Pedro as a means to compensate for paying Liriano. Saw this link:

http://www.baseballessential.com/news/2014/12/11/pirates-seek-to-move-pedro-alvarez-in-potential-trade/

Not long ago, it would have been ludicrous to trade a promising young slugger in exchange for a 6-14 pitcher. Deal with Boras in an arbitration matter where Alvarez is concerned must be problematic. With Miami upgrading by obtaining Latos, and more talent in the lineup around Stanton, Pedro certainly would be on their radar. Though Eovaldi is going to be 25 in two months, is he equal value if this rumor is for a straight-up swap? We knew Liriano signing was their "top priority," but should the cost extend beyond Liriano's salary to the tune of an unwarranted salary dump----a talented player earning 10 times more than one they'd get in return?

If the Bucs give up on Alvarez, and he finds himself a la Bautista correcting his mechanics in a "change of scenery," what then? It's no secret Seven Springs needs a new ski lift, but come on!

I kinda wondered, but not for long, if the Pirates were shopping someone like Pedro as a means to compensate for paying Liriano. Saw this link:

http://www.baseballessential.com/news/2014/12/11/pirates-seek-to-move-pedro-alvarez-in-potential-trade/

Not long ago, it would have been ludicrous to trade a promising young slugger in exchange for a 6-14 pitcher. Deal with Boras in an arbitration matter where Alvarez is concerned must be problematic. With Miami upgrading by obtaining Latos, and more talent in the lineup around Stanton, Pedro certainly would be on their radar. Though Eovaldi is going to be 25 in two months, is he equal value if this rumor is for a straight-up swap? We knew Liriano signing was their "top priority," but should the cost extend beyond Liriano's salary to the tune of an unwarranted salary dump----a talented player earning 10 times more than one they'd get in return?

If the Bucs give up on Alvarez, and he finds himself a la Bautista correcting his mechanics in a "change of scenery," what then? It's no secret Seven Springs needs a new ski lift, but come on!
If the Marlins offer Eovaldi for Alvarez, the Pirates should do the deal in a heartbeat. Find a solid platoon at first (Blanks and ?).

If the Marlins offer Eovaldi for Alvarez, the Pirates should do the deal in a heartbeat. Find a solid platoon at first (Blanks and ?).
Why would the Marlins want Alvarez? At this point, he's almost identical to Garrett Jones.

Why would the Marlins want Alvarez? At this point, he's almost identical to Garrett Jones.
Jones led the NL in HR in 2013?

.231/.312/.405

.246/.309/.411

.231/.312/.405

.246/.309/.411
I'd take my chances on a rebound from a 27 year old w/ back-to-back 30 HR seasons in 2012-13 and a Silver Slugger on his mantel. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:

.231/.312/.405

.246/.309/.411
I'd take my chances on a rebound from a 27 year old w/ back-to-back 30 HR seasons in 2012-13 and a Silver Slugger on his mantel. :shrug:
Pick your poison :shrug:

I still don't think this potential trade makes much sense for either team.

.231/.312/.405

.246/.309/.411

Oh, but it does---for both.

The Marlins need a slugger to bat behind Stanton, and Alvarez's averaged a homer every 20 ABs in his Bucco career. McGahee and Jones are not exactly big power hitters. Jones pales next to Pedro in that regard, and Alvarez is still only 27.

Eovaldi earns less than Pedro, meaning the Pirates could then pay Neil Walker's salary. And if the club is serious about extending Walker and giving him, say, $26 million for 3 years, they could move him to first base sooner or later. Now that they've acquired a cadre of average infielders, shifting Walker is feasible. Eovaldi becomes the new Morton or Worley if either of the latter falters.

.231/.312/.405

.246/.309/.411

Oh, but it does---for both.

The Marlins need a slugger to bat behind Stanton, and Alvarez's averaged a homer every 20 ABs in his Bucco career. McGahee and Jones are not exactly big power hitters. Jones pales next to Pedro in that regard, and Alvarez is still only 27.

Eovaldi earns less than Pedro, meaning the Pirates could then pay Neil Walker's salary. And if the club is serious about extending Walker and giving him, say, $26 million for 3 years, they could move him to first base sooner or later. Now that they've acquired a cadre of average infielders, shifting Walker is feasible. Eovaldi becomes the new Morton or Worley if either of the latter falters.
The Marlins need Eovaldi in their rotation at least as much as the Pirates do. The Haren situation could change that but I don't think Eovaldi is an excess asset until Fernandez hopefully returns at mid-year.

If they wanted to deal Alvarez, why wouldn't the Bucs have kept Ike Davis

The Dee deal shows Miami isn't overly concerned about making moves that make sense for their team.

I can't really assess it from the Marlins' perspective, though acquiring Latos and convincing Haren to come on board gives them some room to maneuver. As for Pgh, Walker as the eventual lefty first-baseman over the next few years (until Josh Bell comes up full-time) with one of the recently acquired infielders either shifting to second or moving Mercer there makes some degree of sense.

Ike Davis would have cost about $4 million in 2015, and a .235 BA with only ten homers in 336 ABs hitting almost exclusively against righties wasn't going to cut it.

Yes, they ought to, if common sense prevails.

Since we shouldn't expect any more gifts this month, perhaps a 2015 thread is ripe to be started. NH will be doing after-Christmas bargain hunting for those 1.5 million per year or less types still out there wowing the scouts.

Gone----Davis, Axford, Gomez, Martin, probably Volquez, Wilson, Gaby, Barmes, whoever I forgot

Staying---Liriano

Acquired----Liz, a group of non-descript infielders, Cervelli, Bastardo, whoever I forgot

I missed it, but the Pirates found "something concerning" in Liz' physical, and his deal is now 1-yr, 1mil instead of 2 years.

Really, you want Radhames freaking Liz that badly that his arm is shredded and you still guarantee his contract?

Forgot about re-acquiring Burnett. Sorry. I may have been drunk. I am an empty suit. I was at PirateFest, speaking to fans about Stanton's contract with the Marlins and probably misspoke.

Yankees send Prado and Phelps to the Marlins for Garrett Jones, Nate Eovaldi, and a pitching prospect. Does this square with Pirates talking about trading Pedro Alvarez to Miami for Eovaldi? Doesn't seem so.

Not a bad thing, especially if Hart and his agent are easier to deal with now than during Hart's tenure with the Brewers. Given 2014 with Seattle, I would think so.

Timmypg said:
Pirates signed Corey Hart. :shrug:
Nice signing. Platoon with Pedro and can play of if needed. It all comes down to his health, obviously that's a big concern.

I think the Buccos are going to win the Central this year :shrug:
I still like the Cards, but there is no reason the Pirates can't win with the roster they have right now. Neil Huntington has done an excellent job. Solid Major league roster, and still a very good farm system, especially in the pitching department.

Pirates win bid for Kang. I'll post the link before monesson predicts the Bucs offer 3 years at 9 million and then mentions how the Marlins did something better.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/22/the-pirates-win-the-bidding-for-jung-ho-kang/
As I understand it, he's hopeful of a contract in the $5-6 million dollar range, which is reasonable, particularly if the team moves Walker or Alvarez to incur Kang's salary. Since the highest paid player in that Korean league earned roughly $1.4 million per year, and the average salary is about $94,000 per year, You know, Kang may take $3 million per year for 3 years. But Ryu got $6 million, I believe.

Marlins? I said a Yankees deal with Garrett Jones and David Phelps for Eovaldi and company didn't seem to square with a straight-up Pedro for Eovaldi trade. I wouldn't give up Alvarez for Eovaldi. Went checking, but couldn't find anything with me disparaging the Pirates moves in favor of Miami's. Thought the Hart signing was fine, keeping Liriano was important, and Pgh is following its usual blueprint. Might have mentioned the Marlins being ambitious to acquire some big names and new faces, etc., but I'm shrugging at what else you're reading into the comments. If it's about money, who can argue the Pirates are not frugal? They are, and impose spending limits because big dollars are not integral to their method for competing. They themselves talk of "comfort zones." Essentially, they concede operating with tighter purse strings than most.

I was just ####### with you. The Marlins reference was completely arbitrary.
It's cool. Man, I should never post in the middle of the night because my brain was in low gear again. Dodgers posted nearly $26 million for Ryu, which makes a $5 million bid to negotiate with Kang both suspicious and successful. What do other teams know about Kang that blunted the effort to land a 27 year-old middle infielder who can hit? Besides, $5-6 million for a starting shortstop is not even the league average, so Kang can clearly be had for a song.

On the other no-gear brain spasm, it was Prado and David Phelps going to Miami. Jones went to NY. Am glad I didn't state Ken Phelps was traded for Jay Buhner, though it got Costanza hired by Larry David's Steinbrenner.

Corey Hart was fine in April as a DH before his season fell apart. Don't know about a big comeback, but a partial one, given the incentive-laden contract, could be forthcoming. Will be interested in how Sean Rodriguez is used, possibly the new version of the versatile J-Hay

I go way back to the Pirates' amazing 1960 season, and Murtaugh is the first manager I recall. He was a tough cookie, patient but focused . Of the managers in my time as fan, I rate Hurdle #1. Leyland will always be first in the hearts of most fans, and is a genuine person of great integrity. Ray Miller was Leyland's Ray Searage. Harry Walker, who rubbed some stars the wrong way, was underrated and underappreciated, as was Chuck Tanner, because he was expected to win 90+ games per season with the talent he had. Lamont did ok, and am glad McClendon, like Virdon, got a second chance. Except for '97 w/Lamont, has anyone done more with less as Hurdle has?

I was just ####### with you. The Marlins reference was completely arbitrary.
It's cool. Man, I should never post in the middle of the night because my brain was in low gear again. Dodgers posted nearly $26 million for Ryu, which makes a $5 million bid to negotiate with Kang both suspicious and successful. What do other teams know about Kang that blunted the effort to land a 27 year-old middle infielder who can hit? Besides, $5-6 million for a starting shortstop is not even the league average, so Kang can clearly be had for a song.

On the other no-gear brain spasm, it was Prado and David Phelps going to Miami. Jones went to NY. Am glad I didn't state Ken Phelps was traded for Jay Buhner, though it got Costanza hired by Larry David's Steinbrenner.

Corey Hart was fine in April as a DH before his season fell apart. Don't know about a big comeback, but a partial one, given the incentive-laden contract, could be forthcoming. Will be interested in how Sean Rodriguez is used, possibly the new version of the versatile J-Hay

I go way back to the Pirates' amazing 1960 season, and Murtaugh is the first manager I recall. He was a tough cookie, patient but focused . Of the managers in my time as fan, I rate Hurdle #1. Leyland will always be first in the hearts of most fans, and is a genuine person of great integrity. Ray Miller was Leyland's Ray Searage. Harry Walker, who rubbed some stars the wrong way, was underrated and underappreciated, as was Chuck Tanner, because he was expected to win 90+ games per season with the talent he had. Lamont did ok, and am glad McClendon, like Virdon, got a second chance. Except for '97 w/Lamont, has anyone done more with less as Hurdle has?
Let's not do this.

TIA,

J

If your remark is in reference to brain injuries given the inclusion of TIA, I apologize, and realize it would have been more appropriate to say I didn't have enough caffeine when I composed the initial message. No one admonished the poster on a football thread today who implied, well, bluntly, characterized me as being on cocaine. Can you chide them for me?

For the record, my wife's had 2 strokes, has ALS, which is the new acronym for Lou Gehrig's disease, if I can cite a ball player. She can no longer speak or walk due to the neurological disorder, and we are also coping with-her-difficult-to-treat-under-current-circumstances breast cancer and long-standing Type I diabetes. But we enjoy and are grateful for what time we may still have together, especially this holiday. She is a very determined achiever and my hero. I advocate everyone support their local Hospice agencies. Sadly, her brother suffered his first stroke yesterday. Heart attacks and strokes are more prevalent this time of year.

If this is about my using a Bishop Sankey photo given you are in Nashville, sorry, and I will modify it tomorrow. As a Steeler fan, I would like to see the Titans upset Indy if it benefits Pittsburgh's seeding.

If it is about the use of J-Hay since that was highlighted, I won't use it again. That was a nickname fans gave him.

If this is in regard to Pirates nostalgia, I sincerely regret reminscing. I love the Pirates, the team, that is.

If it's ok to say Merry Christmas to the posters, here's to it!

If this is the right context to begin a 2015 Pirates thread, someone can do the honors. Please. And thank you. And to all a good night! Count your blessings with your loved ones when you feel down. Usually, someone is far, far worse off.

Merry Christmas monessen. I was just giving you a hard time about J-Hay. J-Hey is typically thought of as Jason Heyward by many in the baseball community. Nothing further intended. All the best to you and yours.

So what is the projected 25 man assuming Kang signs?
C Cervelli

1B Pedro

2B Walker

SS Jordy

3B J-Hay

LF Marte

CF Cutch

RF Polanco

Bench C Stewart, 1B/OF Hart, IF Kang and S-Rod, OF Snider

SP Cole, Liriano, AJ, Locke, Worley

CL Melancon

RP Bastardo, Watson, Hughes, Holdzkom, Liz ... after that I have no idea. Stolmy? LaFromboise? Cumpton? Clayton Richard? Rob Scahill?

(Assuming Morton starts the year on the DL)

The All-Infield team at AAA: Pedro Florimon, Justin Sellers, Jake Elmore, Alen Hanson, Chase D'arnaud, Gustavo Nunez

Users who are viewing this thread