What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pittsburgh Prospects 2009 thread *** (1 Viewer)

ian snell, you still suck. why did i buy into what i saw in the ONE inning i watched all spring training. why did i let the outs override the fact that he gave up a moon shot to ryan howard in that inning/

CrossEyed said:
Been there done that. Talk to me 2 weeks from now if the Pirates are still over .500. Thats where they haven't been in a while.
Can't remember getting two strong outings from starting pitchers in three games, so I'll celebrate whatever I can.
Can we please just focus on the Pens now? 4 games into the season and they've already been one-hit......... :coffee:

Been there done that. Talk to me 2 weeks from now if the Pirates are still over .500. Thats where they haven't been in a while.
Can't remember getting two strong outings from starting pitchers in three games, so I'll celebrate whatever I can.
Can we please just focus on the Pens now? 4 games into the season and they've already been one-hit......... :X
But they're playing .500 ball? Ticker tape parade in October if they keep this up, right? :shrug:

Can we please just focus on the Pens now? 4 games into the season and they've already been one-hit......... :X
But they're playing .500 ball? Ticker tape parade in October if they keep this up, right? :excited:
if they end the losing streak they probably do deserve a parade, as sad as that may seem.

Looked good today.
Maholm is :goodposting: . Other than that :goodposting: .
Duke and Ohlendorf had decent outings. Who knows, with a little luck they might be able to play .500+ ball.
You are right, but I have to see more from Duke and Dorf. I was very impressed with both of them in the spring. Snell, on the other hand, what a shame...I don't know what happened to him. And I have a feeling the #5 slot in the rotation is going to be a merry-go-round all season.

What are the expectations for Pedro Alvarez? ETA/Comparisons/etc from Pirate homers? Just drafted him in my dynasty league.

Well, the expectation is that he turns into a mega-stud.

Crosseyed could probably answer better, but I say he is in Pittsburgh no later than 2011, perhaps even next season depending on how he progresses this year. Comparisons...I would say Miguel Cabrera.

ceisenhower66 said:
Well, the expectation is that he turns into a mega-stud.Crosseyed could probably answer better, but I say he is in Pittsburgh no later than 2011, perhaps even next season depending on how he progresses this year. Comparisons...I would say Miguel Cabrera.
Not really. Don't know that much about him except that he's considered a "can't miss". I would think if he can progress to AAA this year we might see him in Pittsburgh as early as next season. In his Class A debut on Thursday he hit a two-run home run, a two-run double and went 3 for 4 with four RBIs. Not a bad way to start.

ceisenhower66 said:
Well, the expectation is that he turns into a mega-stud.Crosseyed could probably answer better, but I say he is in Pittsburgh no later than 2011, perhaps even next season depending on how he progresses this year. Comparisons...I would say Miguel Cabrera.
Not really. Don't know that much about him except that he's considered a "can't miss". I would think if he can progress to AAA this year we might see him in Pittsburgh as early as next season. In his Class A debut on Thursday he hit a two-run home run, a two-run double and went 3 for 4 with four RBIs. Not a bad way to start.
He could be done with A ball in a month and be in line for a call up by September. Dude can mash.

ceisenhower66 said:
He could be done with A ball in a month and be in line for a call up by September. Dude can mash.
i'd bring him up in a month. what do they have to lose? it will certainly put butts in the seats.

ceisenhower66 said:
i'd bring him up in a month. what do they have to lose? it will certainly put butts in the seats.
He looked ready, but I doubt the Pirates bring him up soon, but there is no chance they bring him up before June to avoid losing a year of arbitration. Though if they're not completely out of it by June, bringing up him and McCutchen would be quite a shot in the arm.

Snell actually pitched pretty well, Jack started a brilliant double play and the Pirates converted a triple play, but their offense was nowhere to be seen and it was all wasted.

eagles2007 said:
dparker713 said:
CrossEyed said:
ceisenhower66 said:
Settle down, after going 3 for 4 in his first game he's 0 for 13 since. He'll be a September call up this year, and will spend at least the first two months next year in AAA. The earliest we see a permanent move to Pittsburgh is next June.

Last edited by a moderator:
McBokonon said:
Snell actually pitched pretty well, Jack started a brilliant double play and the Pirates converted a triple play, but their offense was nowhere to be seen and it was all wasted.
I was at the game yesterday and that double play was insane. Also, Morgan is off to a great start in the leadoff spot and covered a ton of ground in the outfield this weekend.

After seeing what the Navy Seals did to them yesterday, they're hardly in first place :thumbdown:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I would love to see the little guys on top in the end, but my guess is this would really piss off the media.

Last edited by a moderator:
Snell is pitching tomorrow, so i'm keeping my expectations low.....way low.
Yes it's actually a shame that the Buccos didn't wait until today to have their 10 run game. 10 runs may be enough run suppot for Snell.
pirates get 10 and snell only needed 1. guess he wasn't just making excuses after game 1 when he said he was terribly sick and hadn't been able to eat in 10 days or so.
If he was that sick, then he shouldn't have been pitching. He was absolutely terrible last year and one good start this year does not make me optimistic. With that said, I do like the direction the Buccos are going in right now.

Snell is pitching tomorrow, so i'm keeping my expectations low.....way low.
Yes it's actually a shame that the Buccos didn't wait until today to have their 10 run game. 10 runs may be enough run suppot for Snell.
pirates get 10 and snell only needed 1. guess he wasn't just making excuses after game 1 when he said he was terribly sick and hadn't been able to eat in 10 days or so.
If he was that sick, then he shouldn't have been pitching. He was absolutely terrible last year and one good start this year does not make me optimistic. With that said, I do like the direction the Buccos are going in right now.
he's actually had 2 good starts in a row and has an 11 inning scoreless streak giong. watch out orel hershiser.

Another impressive start by a Pirate pitcher as Ohlendorf goes 7 against the Marlins and only gives up 2 hits. This might actually be a pitching staff.

It's nice to see the pitching doing well, and it's even nicer to me to see Andy Laroche starting to get comfortable.

I see Snell as a guy with #2/#3 starter potential if he cuts down his walks, but I don't know what to truly make of Maholm or Duke given their abyssmal strikeout rates. I think Ohlendorf could be pretty decent too, but I'd really like Gorzelanny to get his act together and make an appearance later at the expense of Karstens.

But perhaps the most encouraging thing to me about the early season has been Brad Lincoln's starts in AA. He started putting things together down the stretch last year, and he has a 12:2 strikeout to walk ratio in his first 9 innings this year. The strikeouts are a telling sign of him being healthy again, and he's the one top of the rotation talent the Pirates have.

Taking two so far from the Marlins.

I like what I see so far from the pitching. Definitely a downer with Doumit out til after the ASB, but Jaramillo and Diaz (who has some pop to his bat), they should be able to carry on until then.

ok now lets talk.
Well I'm definitely impressed with the pitching right now. Just when things are going well......they lose a key player for 8-10 weeks. Typical luck for the Buccos...... :thumbup: . Regardless, if they pitch this like this, they'll win games even without their top hitters. I know this team isn't competing for anything this year but hopefully this is a sign of good things to come in the near future.

fred_1_15301 said:
Drunken Cowboy said:
ok now lets talk.
Well I'm definitely impressed with the pitching right now. Just when things are going well......they lose a key player for 8-10 weeks. Typical luck for the Buccos...... :D . Regardless, if they pitch this like this, they'll win games even without their top hitters. I know this team isn't competing for anything this year but hopefully this is a sign of good things to come in the near future.
This sucks. They are def good enough this year to win every other game. Losing Doumit hurts bad though. We lack that big stick already, and this makes it more glaring. Too bad we didnt draft Wieters :goodposting:

I was at the Friday night and Saturday afternoon games of the Braves series this past weekend; great seats on Friday (1st row, 3B line)! Saturday was Ryan Doumit Bobblehead day and boy did he produce.

The Doumit injury definitely hurts and obviously the pitching staff won't keep up this pace, but we can hope! Maholm is starting to come into is own. Ohlendorf is smart (Princeton) and is impressing so far. Karstens looked very good last night. The big key, IMO, is if Snell and Duke can produce at the level that was expected a couple of years ago. It's a very young staff with quite a bit of talent.

They need to find a way to get Monroe's bat into the lineup more. He can crush the ball. Both of his homers on Saturday were to dead center.

I read where they WILL try to find some catching help. I am guessing a trade is coming soon.

Not sure I would do that.

Perfect weekend for baseball (sunny and 80 degrees) and the Pirates are in SD. I'm sure by the time they get back next weekend it will be 55 and raining again.

Nothing like staying up until 1:30 a.m. for the West Coast extra inning game only to have FSN lose the video. :goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread