What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pro Wrestling Thread*** (3 Viewers)

I don't watch anymore, but it sounds like Punk got hurt and knew he was gonna miss a lot of time, so he went scorched earth knowing that he was going to be out for a while anyway.

I'm gonna say he knew he was hurt and probably figured he wasn't going through a long rehab and wanted a way out. So he scorched earthing as a way to get out the easy way.

TK announces Trios champions vacated

Death triangle vs Best Friends Cassidy

Punk Stripped

Page Danielson Moxley Guevera Allin, Jericho will be in a tourney and Grand Slam will conclude with the AEW Title final

So MJF returned just wasted, huh?

MJF said he doesn't need the tournament as he already has a golden ticket to the title. Why risk doing something and work smart. He'll get his shot at Full Gear with my Guess against Moxley

Punk Stripped

Page Danielson Moxley Guevera Allin, Jericho will be in a tourney and Grand Slam will conclude with the AEW Title final

MJF said he doesn't need the tournament as he already has a golden ticket to the title. Why risk doing something and work smart. He'll get his shot at Full Gear with my Guess against Moxley

He said that on the show? Or to you?

Punk Stripped

He said that on the show? Or to you?

In his promo he basically said he doesn't need to do the stupid tournament because of the chip he has. He came out acting like a face and Mox came out saying you are a fake. MJF turned back into his heel persona named dropped Triple H and Nick Khan and even mentioned Cody. He also said winning the title will just be a bargaining chip for 24 when his contract is done.

My guess is whoever wins at GS he faces at Full Gear which I believe I heard thats where he was going to cash in for that.

BREAKING: AEW SUSPENDS Kenny Omega, Young Bucks & More After CM Punk Fight. Punk could be either suspended or fired later today.
el linko
This is 100 a work but, assuming for half a second it's not, why wouldn't that crew be suspended? They supposedly 'kicked the door in' 🙄 (if I roll my eyes any harder they'll pop out), and tried to assault them over the media scrum comments. Forget the fact that one of the assultees is a trained ufc fighter, albeit not a great one, (but still enough to beat their asses) and it makes even less sense.

Meltzer said this isn't a work and 3rd party legal is now involved
Well, if Meltzer said so......

Elites side

Bucks went to Punk's locker room to have a talk. They didn't barge in and before Matt could start talking Punk started throwing hands at Matt. Nick went to stop it but Ace threw a chair at him which hit him.

Kenny Went to pick up and remove Punk's dog Larry from the situation as the dog was freaking out and after the dog was removed ace went after Kenny and Bit him
All sides kept shouting and Punk started with the threatening of legal action.

Per usual these things have different stories. Those close have heard a different version from Punk. I think a cool thing here is that Kenny Omega had the where with all that he saw an animal in a bad situation and removed them from harm. From the sound of things many agree Omega tried to keep the piece.

BREAKING: AEW SUSPENDS Kenny Omega, Young Bucks & More After CM Punk Fight. Punk could be either suspended or fired later today.
el linko
This is 100 a work but, assuming for half a second it's not, why wouldn't that crew be suspended? They supposedly 'kicked the door in' 🙄 (if I roll my eyes any harder they'll pop out), and tried to assault them over the media scrum comments. Forget the fact that one of the assultees is a trained ufc fighter, albeit not a great one, (but still enough to beat their asses) and it makes even less sense.

Meltzer said this isn't a work and 3rd party legal is now involved
Well, if Meltzer said so......

Meltzer isn't the only one reporting legal might be involved now which is why no one is talking publicly about this situation.

Watch that Dynamite last night and tell me the men's locker room hasn't decided to put it all on the line for this Arthur Ashe build. Hell we saw Wardlow and Jungle Boy try their damnedest to improve their promo games.

This was a statement show. It had to be for all the wrong reasons illuminated over the past 9 months, but nevertheless Tony Khan and his roster delivered a great episode.

The World Title and newly minted Trios title scenes were reset. A tournament with some of your biggest players was announced, not this "Moxley and 15 jobbers that have played security guard for the company" type tournament.

MJF returns with the same brilliance even though his big program has been derailed. Moxley is the ******* Ace of AEW, delivering a promo that ought to make everyone in the back and in the audience want to run through a wall.

The Acclaimed are your mainstream crossover appeal to a ripening demographic ready to be harvested. They are OOOOOOOOOVERRRRRRR. Swerve Strickland ought to be elevated to main event heel after he and Lee drop the belts and then Swerve drops Lee. Swerve was fantastic Sunday and evolved further last night.

We saw great wrestling; it felt like a 2019 Dynamite, my favorite time of the company. Rey Fenix should be wrestling in a Trios match at least twice a month, probably more often, until he completely falls apart. Orange Cassidy is going to beat PAC for the All-Atlantic title and we are going to witness OC's rise to real main eventer status. Danielson ought to win this tournament and have a great run at the top; his match with Hangman was a strong style love letter, reminiscent of all the best NJPW matches. More on the women at the end, but Toni Storm and Penelope Ford had a good match with a less than stellar finish, but good match still.

We saw that Tony is future-proofing himself. MJF, The Acclaimed, Swerve all got shine. The main event being Garcia vs Yuta instead of Hangman vs Danielson was a clear message that you better leave the bygone ways of wrestling ages past or you will be replaced. It's a gutsy move that really puts pressure on AEW's "young lions" and I respect it all the same.

Hats off to moving on, but there is one last piece of the puzzle. Give the Women's Division a chance. I think it might be coming with a Jamie Hayter face turn, seemed like she and Britt were on vacation. But if there were ever a time to establish AEW as a place for not just great men's wrestling but also women's, now is the time to try.

In conclusion: 24 hours ago I couldn't see a future for AEW without Punk and the Elite. This morning I realize that the road will be long and tough, but Tony Khan and his locker room are forging ahead in the best way possible.

Jericho giving away the winner of the Danielson-Page match in his interview was funny given that he was the one who spoke in the locker room meeting about not leaking stuff.

Jericho giving away the winner of the Danielson-Page match in his interview was funny given that he was the one who spoke in the locker room meeting about not leaking stuff.
Yeah, that was an oopsie. Loved all the intensity throughout the night regardless.

All that said, I want Punk and the Bucks to make amends and try to do some business together because I'm ready for that white-hot feud.

Melter and Alvarez taking on WO today. Apparently punk is out 6-8 months so he was being stripped regardless. Also Christian Cage has the same injury.

Both said they thought punk was unprofessional with how he handled things. Some people think Punk knew he was hurt and said **** it, doesn't matter I'll be out where others believe he'd have done it either way.

Both said numerious people want Punk gone in AEW as from the beginning he's been very disrespectful among other unprofessional behavior in the back. If he were to come back he'd have to make quiet an effort on making amends. There's a chance The Elite could be gone as well but given most of the locker room turmoil is from Punk they could be brought back with a warning and this is your final shot don't mess it up or you are gone.

el linko
Why would you sabotage the return of your biggest star in MJF? That would’ve been the story going forward. Instead, this is all we’re talking about - which doesn’t hype the product.

Malaki Black apparently got his release. AEW is offering to help him anyway they can. Being reported there are conditions amongst the release possible a long length of time where he can't go to another company considering he had 4 yrs left. Recent meetings with Black were apparently very helpful and there's a chance Black could return to AEW after he deals with the issues

Hats off to moving on, but there is one last piece of the puzzle. Give the Women's Division a chance. I think it might be coming with a Jamie Hayter face turn, seemed like she and Britt were on vacation. But if there were ever a time to establish AEW as a place for not just great men's wrestling but also women's, now is the time to try.

Can we just get Jamie Hayter put in the Blackpool Combat Club already? Anything to get her on my screen more often.

Can we just get Jamie Hayter put in the Blackpool Combat Club already? Anything to get her on my screen more often.
I hope she can carry a promo, because something that bashes on "the boys" and that "the women are going to show you all we can do this just as well" would be a hell of a way to reset the division imo.

All that said, I want Punk and the Bucks to make amends and try to do some business together because I'm ready for that white-hot feud.

I think this whole incident is a blessing in disguise. The roster was slightly bloated, fans/Creative couldn't figure out what to do with Punk and The Elite could probably use a break (not Kenny, but welp, maybe he get a little healthier). The roster is in good shape with all of the guys mentioned already, let some mid-carders try for the brass ring, and then in 6,8,12 months, the place goes crazy for a returning Punk, Bucks, Omega.

If I'm Punk, I might just called it a day.

I hope she can carry a promo, because something that bashes on "the boys" and that "the women are going to show you all we can do this just as well" would be a hell of a way to reset the division imo.
Who better to teach her than Regal, Mox and BD.

Don't burn your eyes, brah.

Malaki Black apparently got his release. AEW is offering to help him anyway they can. Being reported there are conditions amongst the release possible a long length of time where he can't go to another company considering he had 4 yrs left. Recent meetings with Black were apparently very helpful and there's a chance Black could return to AEW after he deals with the issues
Bring him back as loner babyface Tommy End. Kicking heads off.

Have Brody lead HOB.

With all of the crazy stuff this weekend, forgot to mention I went to the MPX Indie show on Saturday night. Went for two reasons: 1. to wear my "I Just Hope Both Wrestlers Have Fun" shirt and 2. to see in person the amazing Kidd Bandit. They are this amazing combination of an anime character, high flyer, and comedic wrestler. They actually won a belt, so they will be back, and a that's great for MPX. Also, they are a huge advocate for the LGBTQ+ community. Granted, I get this isn't something that everyone agrees or believes in, but to see this being something in the sport/art/sideshow of pro wrestling is pretty amazing. During intermission there was actually a wedding proposal in the ring between a Trans Couple and the entire audience, for the most part, showed support. Kidd Bandit went out of their way to find the couple and give them 3-4 minutes of encouragement right after. This is not (always) your father's close-minded entertainment.

Also, in October, getting to see Abadon vs. Athena(Ember Moon) live for a little AEW feel.

You're fooling yourself if you think Black is going back to A&W.

Papa H had him positioned a top the card with the best entrance in wrestling. He'll be back there when he's legally able to.

TK has an opportunity to learn a lesson here and install some more structure within his company. Could be a rough end to 2022, but still plenty of time to get the train back on its tracks before tv deal negotiation time.

In fact, they've been growing consistently for 4 weeks now. Capitalize on a renewed focus and aligned locker room into Grand Slam.

With all of the crazy stuff this weekend, forgot to mention I went to the MPX Indie show on Saturday night. Went for two reasons: 1. to wear my "I Just Hope Both Wrestlers Have Fun" shirt and 2. to see in person the amazing Kidd Bandit. They are this amazing combination of an anime character, high flyer, and comedic wrestler. They actually won a belt, so they will be back, and a that's great for MPX. Also, they are a huge advocate for the LGBTQ+ community. Granted, I get this isn't something that everyone agrees or believes in, but to see this being something in the sport/art/sideshow of pro wrestling is pretty amazing. During intermission there was actually a wedding proposal in the ring between a Trans Couple and the entire audience, for the most part, showed support. Kidd Bandit went out of their way to find the couple and give them 3-4 minutes of encouragement right after. This is not (always) your father's close-minded entertainment.

Also, in October, getting to see Abadon vs. Athena(Ember Moon) live for a little AEW feel.

One of the reasons I love AEW is their inclusion and helping Autistic people. Brandi was a huge advocate for it. Which is why they work with Culture City. Huge Fan of Ricky Starks because of what he does as well

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2...s-helping-with-autism-inclusion-at-aew-shows/

And apparently there is a mass AEW exodus on the horizon.
No one saw this coming

Not really Cody Is just as bad as the others were. He used AEW as a way to get back into WWE and hope to get the one title his father couldn't get. He also couldn't accept that the fans wanted him heel. It also helps to leave when someone else offers you more money. Don't get me wrong. Cody is a smart business man and good wrestler but he should practice more of what he's preached in the past.

AEW has brought in an independent firm to investigate & do video interviews with everyone in the room for the All Out Backstage fight
Including a number of neutral parties who were there. Key names that would have included were MJF & AEW Chief Legal Officer, Megha Parekh

- WON

Danielson, Jericho, Moxley held the meeting.
Details on the meeting are incredibly light other than the fact it was well received and those three were felt to be the “Right” people to call the meeting.
The believe that part of the meeting was talent deciding to try to keep personal decision “in house” and to our out a lot of less in the dirt sheets.
Jericho has been praised for his overall actions this weekend on.
All 3 are basically adored in the locker room
Danielson is seen to have a very cool, calm and funny demeanor.
Moxleys “The Answer” promo from the other night was echoed by a lot of talent, they see him pushing off the vacation as big for the company.
As big part of Punk’s promo was about people hadn’t been anywhere or done anything, and there were three guys who have done almost everything he’s done if not more leading the charge.”

Tony Schiavone will be helping out backstage a bit more in the next few weeks, with the suspensions of Ace Steel, Pat Buck and Christopher Daniels, in the wake of the AEW “All Out” post show media scrum backstage fight, which also saw the suspensions of The Elite (Kenny Omega/Young Bucks) and CM Punk.

Tell us how you really feel BOBBY FISH!!!!!

In an interview with Steve Fall of NBC Sports, Fish provided more insight as to why he's not a fan of CM Punk.
"I'm working for AEW, they're paying my check, you ask me to put my shoulders down for Phil Brooks, I go out and do it. Interestingly enough, there was a little whatever in the match we had, and Phil was...after the match, Phil was a ****. Frankly, as a martial artist, I went out and laid my shoulders down for you, you should be grateful that I did because on national TV, if I decided that I wanted to ****ing Haku your ***, I could have because you're that little of a threat in my world. I'm not Jon Jones or Anderson Silva, but I've been doing martial arts long enough to where I can hold you like a wet nap Phil Brooks.

For you to be c**ty after, for a mistake you made, it doesn't wear well. Not to mention, the move he finished me with, it's not his, it's KENTA's. Phil, you took a man's finishing move. Anyone who knows pro wrestling knows that's ****ed up. You weren't even decent enough to change the name," Fish said.

And now for some NJPW news on the Program

New Japan Pro Wresting has announced that the promotion's World Tag League and Super Jr. Tag League tournaments will take place on Monday, November 21st at Korakuen Hall in Tokyo, and will end on Wednesday, December 14th in Sendai.
There's no word right now on which teams will be competing in World Tag League and the Super Jr. Tag League, but will be announced in the coming weeks.

NJPW's 2021 World Tag League tournament was won by (CHAOS) Hirooki Goto and Yoshi-Hashi, while Suzuki-gun (El Desperado and Yoshinobu Kanemaru) won the 2021 Super Jr. Tag League tournament.

Place has been a train wreck since Cody left.

Not a single one of these ex-WWE guys better positioned. Sad really. Most of them debut and then nothing. Even Daniel Bryan is JAG there stuck in some faction no one GAF about. Bryan is the absolute best in wrestling today in his ability to get something over either as a heel or face in my opinion. Punk is right "the grass isn't greener". Just not in the way he thinks.

Not a single one of these ex-WWE guys better positioned. Sad really. Most of them debut and then nothing. Even Daniel Bryan is JAG there stuck in some faction no one GAF about. Bryan is the absolute best in wrestling today in his ability to get something over either as a heel or face in my opinion. Punk is right "the grass isn't greener". Just not in the way he thinks.

What Blackpool Combat Club is awesome? Danielson is doing what he wants to do. He doesn't want to be top guy all the time. People mistake some of these guys poor booking with not having a title or whatever. Maybe for people like Black sure. However Brian wants to work with the younger talent and elevate them like he's done with Daniel Garcia. Not one ex WWE guys positioned better? Mox is being pushed and used how he should've been in WWE will probably be the Champ again entering his match vs MJF. Claudio Is finally being shown the appreciation he always deserved and has the ROH Belt. Samoa Joe same thing. It sounds like Miro is being booked properly now and I've heard unconfirmed reports of Lana coming in soon. This is the character that WWE said they didn't want. Sting is being used well I think and helping Darby Allin. Buddy Matthews is being booked a lot better then he was in WWE where he was just a lacky too Seth wasn't really allowed to show off his skill set. Cole and Undisputed era was a bit disappointing but they had to tie in the former Bullet Club stuff with Cole and Bucks. Cole and O"Reiley are both hurt right now so thats why they aren't onTV. KOR is having neck transfusion surgery btw so he's going to be out for awhile. and Fish was only brought in for a 1 year not 5 yrs like the other 2 for some reason. Do to injuries at certain times to any of the members their momentum has been stopped.

Cristian I think has been booked pretty well. Come in acting like you want to mentor a young tag team and then turn on them. Help elevate a younger talent. Only reason their match was short is Christian has the same injury as Punk. Toni Storm has the belt which she was apparently winning anyway with or without Rosa hurt. Swerve is better off then he was with those Jabronies hit row and Keith Lee is pretty cool. The heat they are getting right now is fantastic. PAC has been fantastic since coming over and it was only do to the pandemic he wasn't wrestling for awhile and has the All Atlantic belt and in a popular faction. Matt and Jeff Hardy were going to book to win the tag titles till Jeff screwed up. Andrade could he be used a tad better? Sure but it's better then whatever garbage he was in on the main WWE roster. FTR has gotten treated way better in AEW. I was never a big Hager fan but him with Jericho is better then being stuck in catering. Brodie Lee was booked fantastic before his unfortunate death. Paul Wight is only there are a trainer/coach/backstage guy occasional wrestler same with Henry. Need guys like that. Shawn Spears was booked great with the Pinnacle and I'd like to see more from him again. Stokley is great in his role. Athena has been great in her role so far. I'd love to see more wrestling other then the JAS stuff and with Eddie.

So I don't know where this NOT ONE EX-WWE GUY IS IN NO BETTER SPOT. That seems like just using buzzwords the IWC WWE Marks use. I'm not saying booking can't be better for some of these individuals but a lot of them especially those in Blackpool Combat Club which you said no-one cares about yet are one of the biggest pops every single week, FTR having multiple titles along with Joe and Claudio with titles. Either shows you don't watch the program or just repeat what others do.

Last edited:

I'm also not seeing anything about a mass exodus so if @Tony Jabroni could provide a link to this either of where he heard or read it would be much appreciated. There's a lot of ******** coming out right now about the company actually both these days. A lot of stuff isn't sourced. If you are getting stuff from Duke Loves wrestling, ringsidenews, brad Sheppard etc that isn't sourced info.

I've also noticed a lot of the other sites are getting stuff wrong too. Raja Girjri sold Wresltinginc hence the new look and they've been getting stuff wrong. PWinsider reported Sikoa and Drew match would be NO DQ last night. SRS and his group have gotten a **** ton wrong in the past few months including the big whoopsie reporting WWE was going back to TV14. Also people credited SRS with the report of Tyson Fury going back to WWE or in talks and would be ringside for Clash At The Castle. GiveMesports reported this in July

If he returns, if it does end up happening, it would have to work in with the other commitments that Tyson has set for around that time.

His return would tie in with Clash at the Castle, which is slated to take place on September 3 in Cardiff, Wales. It’s also worth noting that we’ve not been told whether Fury’s potential return would just be for an in-ring appearance on the show, or whether there are also talks to have him wrestle again. It’ll be WWE’s first UK stadium show since 1992, so it’s no surprise that higher-ups would be looking to bring in one of Britain’s top sporting stars. Fury and Drew McIntyre have been teasing working together for the last few years, so it’d make sense to have them involved with each other at the big show later this summer.

However, Drew is rumoured to be going one-on-one with Undisputed WWE Universal Champion Roman Reigns at Clash at the Castle, so it remains to be seen how Fury would factor into that. The exact plans that WWE has for Fury right now, if he does agree to come back, aren’t quite clear. That’ll likely become more apparent as the Cardiff show draws closer. We will look to provide updates on the talks between WWE and Tyson Fury over the coming weeks, as more concrete information comes to light on his status for this summer.

@TheLouisDangoor

@TheLouisDangoor

Tyson Fury expected at PPV won't get physical

Now look what Fightful puts up later literally a copy and pasted tweet they promoted as an exclusive for them

My point is a lot of these rumors need to be taken with a grain of salt. There's a lot of **** thrown on the walls right now hoping it sticks. You got to remember also theres a lot of dirt sheet guys upset how successful AEW has been. So they'll take any hint of self destruction or bad news they can from AEW or bad PR and put a spin on it. Theres people who do it with WWE and there's a ton who have done it too TNA/IMPACT over the years however back during the Hardy situation a lot of it was well deserved bad PR. So you got to see where some of this material is being reported, by who etc. Also just because everyone is reporting it doesn't mean its always true. Many love to latch on and not even properly credit the actual sit or source who did it. Wrestlinginc and Inside The ropes have maybe been the best at siting their work over the yrs or crediting others.

Last edited:
SO Brian heffron AKA The Blue Meanie has a podcast and started a Asked meanie anything episodes. Episode 5 he got a question on Punk's antics and I got some great info I didn't know about some things.

He said Punk was unprofessional and saw ACE, Punk, Colt and some others he forgets at a few shows back in the days. He said it's sad how they are no longer friends. WOuldn't speculated on why so much heat and just repeated what came out in headlines. He believes a lot of people are holding grudges on Punk do to what happened to Cabana and says he can't say what's true on the Colt/Punk Drama with the ROH/Colt being released brought back stuff but sees where guys are mad.

1 Colt Cabana was the first to open the door on wrestling podcasts. The Punk Interview the now historic one was 2 parter that crashed the site that hosted the pod. Some people believe Punk did Colt dirty with the lawsuits and not helping him.

2. Colt Cabana once needed to get a shirt for Punk on Raw and went to a Chicago 1 hour tees place. He saw how fast and successful it was and talked to the owners. Guys may I present the birth of WRESTLING TEES which ownership was Sammi Zayn, KO, Colt and a few others with the 1 hr Tees guys. The business was a success and helped many wrestlers get another income with their craft. They only pay for the production and they don't have to pay a stocking fee or anything. AEW uses Wrestling Tees for their Merch btw for those who don't know so almost all of the income made goes to the wrestlers. So Colt helped guys with that.

3. Colt is also a great person and someone many wrestlers love. he gives advice, not someone to talk down to you and a lot of guys and gals respect him.

Based on a lot of what Brian said it's more like people hate Punk because he disrespected and made a guy who's incredible and done so much for the wrestling business as a whole especially the Indies look like some chump. Some people already had issues with Punk before and this just ignited it. He also said he gets why Adam Page shoot on Punk and Punk was probably just upset and not aware of what Page was doing as Punk's reaction to the promo was like WTF this isn't part of what we discussed or agreed too. In his Opinion with or without Punk's approval he doesn't think it'd have gone over well with Punk in the end.

Called the whole thing very unfortunate, didn't want to speculate on anything further then what he knew or read. Was just upset to see people he saw as close friends over a decade ago bitter enemies now

Tell us how you really feel BOBBY FISH!!!!!

In an interview with Steve Fall of NBC Sports, Fish provided more insight as to why he's not a fan of CM Punk.
"I'm working for AEW, they're paying my check, you ask me to put my shoulders down for Phil Brooks, I go out and do it. Interestingly enough, there was a little whatever in the match we had, and Phil was...after the match, Phil was a ****. Frankly, as a martial artist, I went out and laid my shoulders down for you, you should be grateful that I did because on national TV, if I decided that I wanted to ****ing Haku your ***, I could have because you're that little of a threat in my world. I'm not Jon Jones or Anderson Silva, but I've been doing martial arts long enough to where I can hold you like a wet nap Phil Brooks.

For you to be c**ty after, for a mistake you made, it doesn't wear well. Not to mention, the move he finished me with, it's not his, it's KENTA's. Phil, you took a man's finishing move. Anyone who knows pro wrestling knows that's ****ed up. You weren't even decent enough to change the name," Fish said.

Kenta quote tweeted a Bobby fish Interview tweet agreeing the Bobby on this today. For those unfamiliar Punk originally used Welcome to Chicago a double underHook backbreaker as well as the Pepsi Twist (Hammerlock twisted into a short-range lariat). Kenta came to ROH from O4-O7 when Punk was there. Punk started using the finishing move but never asked Kenta if he could use it and even kept the Go 2 Sleep name too. In wrestling stealing someone's finishing move and using it as your own is the ultimate disrespect especially when you don't ask them.

Also the ending of Clash of the Castle has some fans pissed off enough they were chanting AEW. Which is why I believe WWE had Fury come to the ring and have a moment with Drew.
I like Reigns, I really do. Right now though people are burning out on him like they did with Hogan back in the day. The fact that he has both belts makes it even worse.
Yet, everyone reacts at a different level for every Reigns appearance...phones out, fingers up, soaking it in. There's no burnout until someone gets to his level. I also like the single world champion. Escalate IC and US and make the Universal Champion truly special.

Not sure why you are so defensive over this. It's true Not sure if you were around during Hogan or watched but after awhile it got to the point where Hogan was just built up too big where it was impossible to take the belt off of him. It's a booking decision you don't want to get into problem wise. It's obvious at this point that WWE is blatantly desperate trying to figure out ways to keep the title on Roman.

Either way they missed a great chance to build Drew back up and Drew was definitely one of the few guys to take it. Also the Universal title isn't anything special the Old Gold WWE belt is more special then that ugly thing.
The reason why HH’s reign got tiresome was the fact that he’s the best at playing politics and leveraged that power into making sure he looked good and/or all the attention was on him.
Two examples -
1) WM 4 and Savage has won his first world title and there’s Hogan the party crasher in the ring with him and Liz.

2) WM 6 where he came off the pin at 3.000001 and then “agonized” about giving UW his moment.

Hogan did a lot for wrestling, but let’s not pretend his head isn’t big enough to fit in a lot of arenas.
Hogan has a massive ego, yes, and he loved being the center of attention (who wouldn't when being as over with the fans as he was), but both those examples you gave are not good ones, IMO.

First, WM4, Hogan was not party crashing, Remember that DiBiase had a) cost Hogan the title with the twin referee, and b) interfered in the Hogan/Andre match earlier that night causing both to be eliminated, so Hogan was no longer the champ and didn't win the tournament to win it back because of DiBiase. Fast forward to the main event where the finals is DiBiase vs Savage, the latter of whom was now Hogan's buddy. Hogan then interfered and cost DiBiase the match, a bit of sweet justice, helping Savage win the match, so it only made sense for him to be in the ring celebrating with Savage as Dibiase fumed in defeat with Andre outside the ring. Hogan running off to the locker room while Savage celebrated wouldn't have been a good look, not to mention that Andre and DiBiase probably attack Savage instead of letting him celebrate if Hogan is not there.

Second, Hogan kicking out right after the pin at WM6 was brilliant. Remember that Hogan hadn't lost a clean pinfall since winning his first title in January 1984, so finally losing one was significant. Plus, Warrior/Hogan was promoted as being an epic battle of two giants, so it made sense that the winner won by a nose. The Warrior kicking out right after the 3 count had Hogan been booked to win would have made sense as well. Sidebar: I always thought it was funny that Sgt Slaughter clearly kicks out of the pinfall in a big way at WM7 before the 3 count, yet the ref counts it down anyway. Back to WM6, Hogan handing the belt to Warrior as kind of a "passing the torch" gesture was a great moment. Regardless of what Terry Bollea's motives were, it fit the Hulk Hogan character to a 't.'

I know the usual Hogan critics will get on their "OMG, Hogan sucks, blah, blah, blah" high horse, but a reality check was in order.

Also the ending of Clash of the Castle has some fans pissed off enough they were chanting AEW. Which is why I believe WWE had Fury come to the ring and have a moment with Drew.
I like Reigns, I really do. Right now though people are burning out on him like they did with Hogan back in the day. The fact that he has both belts makes it even worse.
Yet, everyone reacts at a different level for every Reigns appearance...phones out, fingers up, soaking it in. There's no burnout until someone gets to his level. I also like the single world champion. Escalate IC and US and make the Universal Champion truly special.

Not sure why you are so defensive over this. It's true Not sure if you were around during Hogan or watched but after awhile it got to the point where Hogan was just built up too big where it was impossible to take the belt off of him. It's a booking decision you don't want to get into problem wise. It's obvious at this point that WWE is blatantly desperate trying to figure out ways to keep the title on Roman.

Either way they missed a great chance to build Drew back up and Drew was definitely one of the few guys to take it. Also the Universal title isn't anything special the Old Gold WWE belt is more special then that ugly thing.
The reason why HH’s reign got tiresome was the fact that he’s the best at playing politics and leveraged that power into making sure he looked good and/or all the attention was on him.
Two examples -
1) WM 4 and Savage has won his first world title and there’s Hogan the party crasher in the ring with him and Liz.

2) WM 6 where he came off the pin at 3.000001 and then “agonized” about giving UW his moment.

Hogan did a lot for wrestling, but let’s not pretend his head isn’t big enough to fit in a lot of arenas.
Hogan has a massive ego, yes, and he loved being the center of attention (who wouldn't when being as over with the fans as he was), but both those examples you gave are not good ones, IMO.

First, WM4, Hogan was not party crashing, Remember that DiBiase had a) cost Hogan the title with the twin referee, and b) interfered in the Hogan/Andre match earlier that night causing both to be eliminated, so Hogan was no longer the champ and didn't win the tournament to win it back because of DiBiase. Fast forward to the main event where the finals is DiBiase vs Savage, the latter of whom was now Hogan's buddy. Hogan then interfered and cost DiBiase the match, a bit of sweet justice, helping Savage win the match, so it only made sense for him to be in the ring celebrating with Savage as Dibiase fumed in defeat with Andre outside the ring. Hogan running off to the locker room while Savage celebrated wouldn't have been a good look, not to mention that Andre and DiBiase probably attack Savage instead of letting him celebrate if Hogan is not there.

Second, Hogan kicking out right after the pin at WM6 was brilliant. Remember that Hogan hadn't lost a clean pinfall since winning his first title in January 1984, so finally losing one was significant. Plus, Warrior/Hogan was promoted as being an epic battle of two giants, so it made sense that the winner won by a nose. The Warrior kicking out right after the 3 count had Hogan been booked to win would have made sense as well. Sidebar: I always thought it was funny that Sgt Slaughter clearly kicks out of the pinfall in a big way at WM7 before the 3 count, yet the ref counts it down anyway. Back to WM6, Hogan handing the belt to Warrior as kind of a "passing the torch" gesture was a great moment. Regardless of what Terry Bollea's motives were, it fit the Hulk Hogan character to a 't.'

I know the usual Hogan critics will get on their "OMG, Hogan sucks, blah, blah, blah" high horse, but a reality check was in order.

Im guessing this was more so for Tom then myself. My only gripe with Hogan back then other then the politicking was the fact he got over on a cheap Pop American patriotism Propaganda gimmick that was selling at the time. Like I've said before props to Vince, Hogan and the rest of WWF at the time pulling that off and making it work. Promo character wise Hogan was great. I was a Hogan fan first but eventually was team Macho man especially once he went to WCW and then joined Sting an NWO Wolfpac. In ring wise I never thought Hogan was that good. Went back and have seen his Japan stuff. I think he was better in ring in Japan but I don't think he's as close to as good In Japan as some made him out to be.

Two examples -

Im guessing this was more so for Tom then myself. My only gripe with Hogan back then other then the politicking was the fact he got over on a cheap Pop American patriotism Propaganda gimmick that was selling at the time. Like I've said before props to Vince, Hogan and the rest of WWF at the time pulling that off and making it work. Promo character wise Hogan was great. I was a Hogan fan first but eventually was team Macho man especially once he went to WCW and then joined Sting an NWO Wolfpac. In ring wise I never thought Hogan was that good. Went back and have seen his Japan stuff. I think he was better in ring in Japan but I don't think he's as close to as good In Japan as some made him out to be.
Hogan could grapple on the mat if he wanted to (a guy his size could make those 5-minute headlocks on the mat quite uncomfortable), but no one would ever confuse him with Bret Hart or Daniel Bryan. He had such great promo skills and charisma that he didn't need to be awesome in the ring. He was good enough, and very few could work a crowd as well as him (Rock, Stone Cold). And despite some stupidly thinking he always no-sold opponents, he almost always made his opponents look great before the inevitable comeback.

My only beef with Hogan back in the day was his tendency over time to drop the leg and just nonchalantly cover the guy for the 3. At least hook a leg!

Users who are viewing this thread