What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Rush Thread*** Neil Calls It A Career, Not Official. (4 Viewers)

I've heard things like longer stops in places like NYC. Playing a week or so at MSG would bring a lot of people, without much travel for them.

The residency thing is the way to go. I know I wouldn't want to be stuck in Vegas for a long stretch and NYC is kind of expensive on the fans, so LA makes the most sense to me. The renovations on the Forum are getting overwhelmingly positive feedback from audiophiles.

Unless one or more find something else interesting musically to get deeply into, it's hard to imagine them letting too much time pass before getting together again. For a number of reasons.

Peart retires due to physical issues
In different online areas, people are expecting that this is a Farve-type retirement. He will sit for a while and get bored and want to do something again. The likelihood of a Big-Time Tour like this summer is slim, but maybe we might get an album or something. If he is doing an album, he would be able to work for a day or so and take a couple off to rest and recover. This would be significantly different than the grind of a tour.

:Hope:

I posted this in the Progressive Music thread:

I get the sense that Geddy and Alex aren't done. I'm reading rumors of another solo album from Geddy and recent interviews from Alex suggests he's going to get the itch again. It may be blasphemous (and perhaps selfish) but I wouldn't be opposed to some tours billed as "An Evening of Rush Music with Geddy and Alex" with someone like Gavin Harrison on drums. Or Mike Portnoy if he's not too busy. Hell, Rush is one prog band Bill Bruford hasn't sat in with :cool: .

Rush is done as a touring act. And probably recording as the three of them as well.

Geddy will get a solo album out in the future. I think Alex does not care either way at this point.

We got 41 amazing years from these guys.

It's over as far as anything Rush with Neil. Maybe another album? But I even doubt that. Because the one constant about Rush is if they make an album they tour it. And their is zero $$$ in making albums. Touring is really the revenue cow. And they milked the hell out of it when Neil came back in 2002.

This was all gravy since 1997.

Wait a second. Geddy had this response.

Rush mainman Geddy Lee has moved to squash rumours that drummer Neil Peart had announced his retirement.

Peart gave an interview to Drumhead magazine in which he's quoted as saying he's happy to accept the description of himself as a "retired drummer," but Lee says his bandmate was merely confirming that he could no longer commit to lengthy tours.

Lee tells Prog: “There’s really nothing to say. I think Neil is just explaining his reasons for not wanting to tour, with the toll that it’s taking on his body. That’s all I would care to comment on it.

"We’ll get together eventually and chat about things. But in my view, there is certainly nothing surprising in what he said. Neil just feels that he has to explain with all the thousands of people asking, ‘Why no more tours?’ He needs to explain his side of it.”

Asked whether he feels Peart's quote was taken out of context, Lee adds: “I think that’s absolutely right. That’s their job. Talking about something when there’s nothing to talk about.”

Fans are clamouring for confirmation on whether Rush will continue to record and perform live. Peart previously said he wanted to spend more time with his family, while guitarist Alex Lifeson said he was largely over his health issues and wants to continue playing with the band.

Rush released live DVD, Blu-ray and CD package R40 last week.

Anyone get a chance to see the "Time Stand Still" movie last night? I couldn't, but a friend did. While he didn't exactly say it, the movie pretty much confirmed that they are done touring for a very long time, if not forever. At least touring in the classic sense.  :cry: :cry:

It should be hitting iTunes by mid-month and I'll be watching it then. 

here is a Rolling Stone write up on it.

Anyone get a chance to see the "Time Stand Still" movie last night? I couldn't, but a friend did. While he didn't exactly say it, the movie pretty much confirmed that they are done touring for a very long time, if not forever. At least touring in the classic sense.  :cry: :cry:

It should be hitting iTunes by mid-month and I'll be watching it then. 

here is a Rolling Stone write up on it.
:cry: Thanks for posting. This part got me:

8. Neil broke one of his rules on that last night. 
The Forum show ended with "Working Man" and a sprinkle of vintage rarity "Garden Road."  When the gig wrapped, Peart shocked his bandmates by heading to the front of the stage to join them for a bow. "I've never crossed what I call the back-line meridian," he says. "I stay behind my drums and cymbals for 40 years and never go out front, never. It's not my territory. Eventually, I talked myself into it. ... It was totally the right thing to do."

:cry: Thanks for posting. This part got me:

8. Neil broke one of his rules on that last night. 
The Forum show ended with "Working Man" and a sprinkle of vintage rarity "Garden Road."  When the gig wrapped, Peart shocked his bandmates by heading to the front of the stage to join them for a bow. "I've never crossed what I call the back-line meridian," he says. "I stay behind my drums and cymbals for 40 years and never go out front, never. It's not my territory. Eventually, I talked myself into it. ... It was totally the right thing to do."
same....actually just posted that same thing in a FB discussion we are having about the movie. It would have been amazing to see that. 

I saw them in New Jersey on that last tour.  As expected, great show. And while i'm 40+ the need for concert tee shirts is not there any more. However, it was pouring rain that day and we got absolutely soaked walking into the arena...like to the bone. So I had 2 choices, wear the shirt and freeze, or pony up the $$ and buy a new one. So I did #2 and got a sweet one with the 2112  Starman image on it. Needless to say, it does not make it into my day to day clothing rotation....however, 2 days ago, I was not feeling getting dressed up for work and had a rush song in my head, and the shirt was just sitting there looking at me. So I said F it and threw it on. 

it must have been fate b/c the next day I found out about this documentary and ultimately what it is telling us. 

I'm really kicking myself for not MAKING SURE I saw them on the last tour. I knew there was a significant chance that it would be my last opportunity to see them ... it was just bad timing. ####.

I got into Rush pretty late - Vapor Trails album/tour is when I really got on board big time. I've seen them 7 or 8 times since, and now I guess I'll hold out hope for one more show sometime down the line. :kicksrock:

I took my 11 year old son to the film last night. Half full theater. All of us in Rush shirts. A lot of laughs, singing along a little to the music. The last 15 minutes it was dead silent. I welled up a little as the credits were rolling. I looked at my son and said "kid....you got to see them 4 times and meet them, so consider yourself very very lucky".

Rush Brothers and sisters......it is over. This was the rubber stamp. Neil is absolutely done. Like done playing drums, writing lyrics and being part of the band Rush. And Alex and Geddy were crystal clear if it's not the three of them, it's over for them as well.

Geddy is not happy. He is clearly and visibly upset about Neil's decision. He respects it and understands it, but he is really having a hard time getting over it. Alex is a happy go lucky who will eat, drink, play golf and be merry. He is at peace with it for the most part. But Geddy is still in the working musician mode even after 40 years. He is not done. I fully expect a solo album in the near future.

Me personally, I am totally at peace with it as a life long fan. I have seen the band over 20 times (nothing compared to many crazed fans who have followed them on the road since the VT tour seeing 80, 90 over 100 shows in their lifetime) including two incredible shows on the final R40 tour. Tampa was majestic. My wife and son with me we were singing and jamming together (my son and I) to a host of bucket list songs for me (Jacobs Ladder, Lakeside Park, What Your Doing), then an amazing trip to Las Vegas with my 20 plus year band-mates to see them 2 shows before the final L.A. show. They were on fire that night at the MGM. One of the great shows I had ever seen. I have a lifetime of memories as this band as been a part of my life since 11 years of age. They changed the course for me. I was one of those kids at 12 years old who taped Exit Stage Left off MTV on a Friday night and watched that thing 100's of times and taught myself how to play guitar.

I was not you're typical Rush fan though. I was a high school baseball player who also played in a rock band. An unusual mix. But my friends were a tight knit group of musicians and we all loved Rush. That bond we shared in this sort of secret society was always strong and unbreakable. A few of us still are in touch to this day as well as my two other close friends whom I shared the stage with for half my life. When I took my then girlfriend of 3 months to sit front row with me on the Test For Echo tour in 1996, after the show she stood wide eyed and blown away at what she just saw and felt. She told me it was the greatest rock show she had ever seen by a long shot. I married her less than 2 years later and 20 years later here we are. I shared this music with my son and at 11 years old he still loves them and is a damn good drummer already (and a heck of a baseball player too, surprise surprise lol). 

The music will live on through us and our children and hopefully through their children. Rush is a religion. Most non Rush fans don't understand it.....and that is OK. They don't have to. And I never forced it on anyone. Your either get it......or you don't. It's not for everyone. And I liked it that way.

They gave us 40 years. I don't think you will ever see that in rock music ever again. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Good stuff, Todem.

I got into Rush during high school (my older brother was a fan) and finally got to see them during my senior year in Springfield, Mass. I've seen them several times since -- I'm not a "lifer" like you and others (I work with one, though), but they've always been very high on my list.

The opening act at that first show was this "new-ish" band from England that had this unusual front man that ended up leaving a couple of years later and nearly caused their breakup, Instead they found a new lead singer and have put out 14 more albums, despite never gaining any real footing in the United States. Nonetheless, they still have an extremely rabid (if much, much smaller) fan base. Oddly enough, tonight, I get to go to see Marillion for the eighth time overall here in Boston.

I wish I could have made it to see it last night, but too long of a day at work and goings on afterwards made it impossible; I will catch it on DVD later this month. 

When I saw them on the R40, I knew that was it.  The video at the end after the last song made that crystal clear. 

Geddy has made enough comments since that it is clear that he is still itching to write and record, so I'd love to see another solo album with a host of guest musicians.  He has enough cred in the music business that I suspect he could get just about anybody to play on it.  Getting someone else to sing would be great, too (since his voice continues to slide down hill). :P  

Users who are viewing this thread