What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Donavon played 90 minutes for Everton in an important 2-0 win over City. He was substituted in extra time. Tweet from SoccerByIves:mad:SoccerByIves Landon Donovan comes off to a standing ovation from Everton fans.
:moneybag:
Nice. Wish I was able to have watched that game. Everton seems to have turned things around a little bit after having some very shaky results. Tying Arsenal and then beating Man City over the past two matches is a huge step in the right direction after a disappointing start to the season. I'm looking forward to seeing the Liverpool match on ESPN in a couple weeks.

So they'll be playing in the Georgia DOME in ATL? That's silly.
why is it silly? I have never been there. Indy is a dome as well I think.
1) Soccer shouldn't be played in a dome. Ever.2) The GA dome isn't the nicest stadium, nor does Atlanta have an exceptionally strong soccer following.3) The size of the stadium shouldn't be the determining factor, as Germany hosted games in stadiums as small at 40,000 or so and South Africa has one or two that size as well.
From an article at AJC.com a few days ago:
The Georgia Dome hosted an international friendly between Mexico and Venezuela last summer in which 55,000 fans attended. A month later it hosted a game between two of the biggest club teams in the world, Mexico's Club America and Italy's A.C. Milan, in which 52,000 fans attended.Second, Atlanta has proved it has a foundation for future interest. The Georgia State Soccer Association said it has more than 80,000 youth players, making it the most popular organized sport in the state. The Organization said it anticipates at least matching that total for the pending season.
Sounds like a pretty good following to me... :moneybag: They are also in the process of building a new soccer stadium for the women's soccer team at Kennesaw State University that will also house the WUSA team that is going to be starting up this year. I agree that a dome is not the best venue for soccer but I disagree with your second point.

I watched nearly the entire Everton/Man City match today, probably about 70 minutes - missed some of the early 2nd half due to the Syracuse/WVU basketball game - and I didn't really see much out of Donovan, sadly. I know they're saying that he had a good game online, and obviously he played fine if they didn't sub him out, but he was greatly overshadowed by Cahill, Saha, Fellaini, and Bilyetinov (or however the #### you spell that guy's name, I don't want to look it up).

I was kinda disappointed myself, but it's good to see him getting some recognition. Maybe he was doing great work off the ball and I couldn't see it on the TV. He did have a few nice crosses, FWIW.

Just checking the text feed on BBC:

Fulham boss Roy Hodgson on injured forward Clint Dempsey: "The initial prognosis for Clint is not good. It looks like cruciate knee ligament damage and if it is it will keep him out for a while."

Just checking the text feed on BBC:Fulham boss Roy Hodgson on injured forward Clint Dempsey: "The initial prognosis for Clint is not good. It looks like cruciate knee ligament damage and if it is it will keep him out for a while."
Really? I didn't hear this, and Google doesn't bring up much. Sounds like he walked off the field, but was taken to the hospital for examination. Walking off the field is good sign, hopefully it's nothing requiring major surgery. Nothing on Soccer by Ives or Grant Wahl's twitter yet either.Did anyone see it?

Just checking the text feed on BBC:Fulham boss Roy Hodgson on injured forward Clint Dempsey: "The initial prognosis for Clint is not good. It looks like cruciate knee ligament damage and if it is it will keep him out for a while."
Really? I didn't hear this, and Google doesn't bring up much. Sounds like he walked off the field, but was taken to the hospital for examination. Walking off the field is good sign, hopefully it's nothing requiring major surgery. Nothing on Soccer by Ives or Grant Wahl's twitter yet either.Did anyone see it?
This was apparently on the post game with Roy 5 minutes after the whistle. I am looking, but no other news yet.I did not see the game. Just woke up and checked BBC and there is was...

So they'll be playing in the Georgia DOME in ATL? That's silly.
why is it silly? I have never been there. Indy is a dome as well I think.
1) Soccer shouldn't be played in a dome. Ever.2) The GA dome isn't the nicest stadium, nor does Atlanta have an exceptionally strong soccer following.3) The size of the stadium shouldn't be the determining factor, as Germany hosted games in stadiums as small at 40,000 or so and South Africa has one or two that size as well.
From an article at AJC.com a few days ago:
The Georgia Dome hosted an international friendly between Mexico and Venezuela last summer in which 55,000 fans attended. A month later it hosted a game between two of the biggest club teams in the world, Mexico's Club America and Italy's A.C. Milan, in which 52,000 fans attended.Second, Atlanta has proved it has a foundation for future interest. The Georgia State Soccer Association said it has more than 80,000 youth players, making it the most popular organized sport in the state. The Organization said it anticipates at least matching that total for the pending season.
Sounds like a pretty good following to me... :lmao: They are also in the process of building a new soccer stadium for the women's soccer team at Kennesaw State University that will also house the WUSA team that is going to be starting up this year. I agree that a dome is not the best venue for soccer but I disagree with your second point.
I was at the Milan-Club America game at the Georgia dome this summer. The stadium was only 3/4 full and most of the crowd support was due to the loud Mexican fanbase. The atmosphere was good; it wasnt incredible though.

Fulham boss Roy Hodgson on injured forward Clint Dempsey: "The initial prognosis for Clint is not good. It looks like cruciate knee ligament damage and if it is it will keep him out for a while."
:lmao: The Nats are falling apart- this sucks
ARGHHHHHH
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/t...ham/8464490.stmLooks bad, but it won't be definite until a scan on Monday.

Texas Football said:
Native said:

:thumbup: The Nats are falling apart- this sucks
ARGHHHHHH
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/t...ham/8464490.stmLooks bad, but it won't be definite until a scan on Monday.
:hot:

Screw the US bid to host the World Cup. No Detroit or Chicago? Indianapolis as the only midwest city? Ridiculous.
Chicago doesn't have a big enough stadium. Soldier would be the smallest stadium by like 10k seats.
I think Soldier Field holds ~61k and the Indy dome holds around ~63k. So there are other stadiums that are in this general range including Phili and Boston both of which are 68k or less.
They can all expand for big games while Soldier cannot.
Gillete can expand the stadium? That news to me considering I live like 10 minutes from the place.
Apparently proximity doesn't give you any more knowledge than anyone else. Gillette Stadium seating capacity is 68,756, including 6,000 club seats and 87 luxury suites while with the current stadium capacity of 61,500, Soldier Field became the smallest stadium in the NFL when the Indianapolis Colts moved out of the RCA Dome and into Lucas Oil Stadium in 2008. Sorry it is only 7k + high paying seating, not 10k :goodposting:

Texas Football said:
Native said:

:wall: The Nats are falling apart- this sucks
ARGHHHHHH
:hot:
:goodposting: I haven't gone back in the thread but on the bright side I think Donovan has looked great in his 2 games with Everton. The fans seem to have taken to him and his teammates too. Really hoping he keeps it up and does well.

Gillete can expand the stadium? That news to me considering I live like 10 minutes from the place.
Apparently proximity doesn't give you any more knowledge than anyone else. Gillette Stadium seating capacity is 68,756, including 6,000 club seats and 87 luxury suites
I still don't understand what you are talking about. Where have you read that Gillette can be expanded anywhere beyond the original seating configuration?The stadium was originally designed to hold the exact amount it does today. I have never seen them expand beyond the 68k plus.I have been to the stadium probably 40 times over the years and I can pretty much tell you with 100% certainty that the stadiums seating can not be expanded outside of concerts when the put seats on the field.

Apparently proximity doesn't give you any more knowledge than anyone else. Gillette Stadium seating capacity is 68,756, including 6,000 club seats and 87 luxury suites
I still don't understand what you are talking about. Where have you read that Gillette can be expanded anywhere beyond the original seating configuration?The stadium was originally designed to hold the exact amount it does today. I have never seen them expand beyond the 68k plus.I have been to the stadium probably 40 times over the years and I can pretty much tell you with 100% certainty that the stadiums seating can not be expanded outside of concerts when the put seats on the field.
why do you insist on creating an argument here? Seriously? You brought up a number of stadiums and said they were "in the general range" as Soldier's capacity. The only ones that are I pointed out that they can expand. You mentioned Gillette but I never did. Gillette is not "in the general range" as Soldier. It frustrates me that I don't even really care about this but you take it off on some random tangent to continue to debate. To be clear, obviously Chicago was not selected bc of money. MONEY. Capacity represents money as do luxury boxes etc. Is this really that tough to understand?

why do you insist on creating an argument here? Seriously? You brought up a number of stadiums and said they were "in the general range" as Soldier's capacity. The only ones that are I pointed out that they can expand. You mentioned Gillette but I never did. Gillette is not "in the general range" as Soldier. It frustrates me that I don't even really care about this but you take it off on some random tangent to continue to debate. To be clear, obviously Chicago was not selected bc of money. MONEY. Capacity represents money as do luxury boxes etc. Is this really that tough to understand?
I'd say a stadium with 61k seats is in the general range of a stadium with 68k seats.

I'd say a stadium with 61k seats is in the general range of a stadium with 68k seats.
yeah I thought that was kind of obvious but I guess not. :lmao:In the end though I was only questioning his assertion that Gillette could be expanded. It did not make any sense to me. I am starting to think he did not really mean to say the stadium could expand but he seems so angry about the topic I can't be sure.As for why Chicago was not selected, all we know is that Sunil said that they were afraid that Chicago could not meet certain FIFA regulations but never speculated what they were.

Last edited by a moderator:
The US bid committee disagrees. It's 10% greater capacity and that's probably $2-3million difference in revenue per game (and thus the overall US bid) just for general admission. And this is in comparison to the next smallest stadium chosen (which also has significantly more luxury capacity).

The US bid committee disagrees. It's 10% greater capacity and that's probably $2-3million difference in revenue per game (and thus the overall US bid) just for general admission. And this is in comparison to the next smallest stadium chosen (which also has significantly more luxury capacity).
As I've already made clear, the US bid committee can stick its opinion where the sun don't shine.

As I've already made clear, the US bid committee can stick its opinion where the sun don't shine.
Hey, I'm not saying they are right, but clearly capacity influenced the decisions. We are going for an overwhelming revenue bid and Chicago would need more seating and more luxury boxes to be in the running. :confused: I was just pointing that out and clearly was not explicit enough in my comments so that somehow words are being put in my mouth about some stadium that andy lives near.

Watched Donovan play yesterday. He looked good. I want to know why he can now clear the first defender with his corner kicks but sucks at them for the Nats.

Dempsey's knee injury is pretty dubious. Will have to wait for the scans to see the seriousness of it but what a blow. I am not a huge Dempsey fan but like him or not this is not good for the team. Davies - Very iffy to make it back in time for SA. Gooch - Chances seem better than Davies for SA but his form will definitely be questionable. Now Dempsey. 3 of our first 11 we could be missing. This stinks in a year that we have gotten a favorable draw.

The question now becomes who can fill the void of Dempsey should he be out for SA. Holden - on trial now and would be a good thing if he can catch on and play. DMB - Has been catching back on at Rangers lately. He looked awful in the last qualifiers he played. Others?

Watched Donovan play yesterday. He looked good. I want to know why he can now clear the first defender with his corner kicks but sucks at them for the Nats. Dempsey's knee injury is pretty dubious. Will have to wait for the scans to see the seriousness of it but what a blow. I am not a huge Dempsey fan but like him or not this is not good for the team. Davies - Very iffy to make it back in time for SA. Gooch - Chances seem better than Davies for SA but his form will definitely be questionable. Now Dempsey. 3 of our first 11 we could be missing. This stinks in a year that we have gotten a favorable draw. The question now becomes who can fill the void of Dempsey should he be out for SA. Holden - on trial now and would be a good thing if he can catch on and play. DMB - Has been catching back on at Rangers lately. He looked awful in the last qualifiers he played. Others?
I am not as worried about filling Dempsey's wing slot. What I am deathly scared of is now replacing Dempsey at striker. Remember that many of us speculated that Dempsey would be the logical choice to partner Jozy up top.Now its a friggan mess. I may not sleep for a week thinking about Ching or heaven forbid Connor Casey starting for us up top.Landon has been playing too well on the left to move him up but if we have more choices at MF than striker, do we have to take that risk?I felt a little sick to my stomach when I saw the Dempsey headline on ESPN this afternoon :goodposting: (

Don't know what to think about Holden possibly going to Braga. Has to be a good thing if he plays, right?

Caught the whole Everton game... short story- LD worked very hard in the 1st half on both sides of the ball... looked ok, but mainly kept City in check (due to the play through the midle of Feilani and Pienaar). His first touch was spotty in the half- some nice things (and great usual workrate) but also some unfortunate misplays on the ball. He looked gassed for the entire 2nd half- didn't see him get his first touch in the entire frame, and his side of the field started to open up to City on their attack.

Looked rusty, IMO, and not up to his par. But that's a good thing- because he also looked like he belonged there, and I know his touch will get better (never been an issue for him). Think he got the standing O due to the work he put in and because the team overall played fantastically (O was for the team morethan him, IMO).

Also, fwiw- LD played on the right.

I wonder what Arteta's return does to LD starting spot? Different position (Felaini's spot lately in the holding MF role... the big guy has been fantatsic), but will there be room on teh field for LD when player get shuffled around?

---------------------------------------

Dempsey's injury is a total body-blow. CLint has been lights' out the last month or so- especially going forward. Hitting the ball incredibly well and on frame and playing with supreme confidence. I'm on Google-Alert for status on his injury... fingers crossed.

OOF

Woot Giggsy!

Tons of emotion in this one, gonna be a great afternoon at work with a good game on - much better than the lackluster EPL matches of late

El Floppo said:
Caught the whole Everton game... short story- LD worked very hard in the 1st half on both sides of the ball... looked ok, but mainly kept City in check (due to the play through the midle of Feilani and Pienaar). His first touch was spotty in the half- some nice things (and great usual workrate) but also some unfortunate misplays on the ball. He looked gassed for the entire 2nd half- didn't see him get his first touch in the entire frame, and his side of the field started to open up to City on their attack.

Looked rusty, IMO, and not up to his par. But that's a good thing- because he also looked like he belonged there, and I know his touch will get better (never been an issue for him). Think he got the standing O due to the work he put in and because the team overall played fantastically (O was for the team morethan him, IMO).

Also, fwiw- LD played on the right.

I wonder what Arteta's return does to LD starting spot? Different position (Felaini's spot lately in the holding MF role... the big guy has been fantatsic), but will there be room on teh field for LD when player get shuffled around?

---------------------------------------

Dempsey's injury is a total body-blow. CLint has been lights' out the last month or so- especially going forward. Hitting the ball incredibly well and on frame and playing with supreme confidence. I'm on Google-Alert for status on his injury... fingers crossed.

OOF
phewDempsey won't need surgery... still not good that they're hoping to get him back "before the season ends" rather than say, next week. But better than the knife I guess.

The Associated Press

Tuesday, January 19, 2010; 5:54 PM

LONDON -- Clint Dempsey's right knee won't need surgery, according to Fulham, and he's expected to be playing in time for the World Cup.

Dempsey hurt his knee playing in Sunday's Premier League game at Blackburn. Fulham said Tuesday following a scan that he sustained moderate damage.

The Cottagers say they expect him to play for the club before the Premier League season ends in May

phew

Dempsey won't need surgery... still not good that they're hoping to get him back "before the season ends" rather than say, next week. But better than the knife I guess.

The Associated Press

LONDON -- Clint Dempsey's right knee won't need surgery, according to Fulham, and he's expected to be playing in time for the World Cup.

Dempsey hurt his knee playing in Sunday's Premier League game at Blackburn. Fulham said Tuesday following a scan that he sustained moderate damage.

The Cottagers say they expect him to play for the club before the Premier League season ends in May
:shrug:

phew

Dempsey won't need surgery... still not good that they're hoping to get him back "before the season ends" rather than say, next week. But better than the knife I guess.

The Associated Press

:goodposting:
yes!!!

O'shea out for the year for ManU. Bad blood clot.

If any of you former players here can play D, i'd get Sir Alex on the phone.

Some Bundesliga news

Over 42,000 fans per game for the first time

The first half of the 2009/10 Bundesliga season saw more fans attending matches than ever.

An average of 42,115 spectators attended the 153 matches in Germany's top tier, up around five per cent on last season's figures.

Highest attendances in the world

"The Bundesliga is a fan-magnet even in times of crisis. With an average of over 42,000 fans per game, the Bundesliga boast the highest attendance figures in the world. If this development continues, it's highly likely that we'll be celebrating the highest attendances in the world for the eighth season running at the end of the campaign," said DFL member of the board Christian Müller.

"Excitement, close competition to the very end, modern and comfortable stadiums and family-friendly prices are the chief factors in the Bundesliga's success."

Attendances figures have also remained high in the 2. Bundesliga. An average of 15,052 fans per game is down just 217 from the same stage last season.
Eintracht Frankfurt have completed the signing of USA international Ricardo Clark.

The 26-year-old defensive midfielder has played in Major League Soccer (MLS) since 2003 and joins from Houston Dynamo. Clark made a total of 219 appearances in America's top tier, scoring 18 goals and creating a further 16.

"He brings us further perspectives"

Clark, native to Atlanta, Georgia in the USA, has signed a contract until the end of the season with an option to extend for a further three years.

"Once Ricardo has got used to the Bundesliga he'll be a player who can bring us further perspectives. He's very energetic and athletic and he's excellent on the ball," said coach Michael Skibbe.

"I'm really pleased to be here. I've never been to Germany. The stadium in Frankfurt is very impressive and the team is very good. I hope I can work my way into the team," said Clark, who will don the No13 shirt.

The US plays Honduras tonight at the HDC at 6:00pm PT. The game is on FSC and Telefutura.

US side will be made up of mostly MLS players. Will be an important set of games for many of these players because these will be the last international games many will have to try and show Bradley that they deserve a shot for the final 23.

Coached my first game tonight. Was the assistant tonight, but I'll be the head coach next week and a few of the other games that the HC can't make.

Interesting stuff. Although it's travel soccer, we actually played against one of the 10-year old teams from our town (there is no U9 league, so our 9-year old team is the U10 "C" team....we played against the U10 "B" team, which is all 10 year olds). The kids we played against had played 1 full season of travel soccer together, and had just played a 12-game indoor season....so they had some experience.

Our kids went into the game kinda scared, and we had only 2 subs. They were playing against the older kids...the kids they see in school every day who are a year ahead of them, bigger than them, etc.

Surprisingly though, they played awesome. We were down 1-0 at the half, but we gathered the kids up and told them how great they were playing and tried to convince them to play more aggressive. We tied it 1-1, went down 2-1, and then with 10 minutes left, we pulled even 2-2! Down the stretch though, they were just bigger, stronger, and in better shape. They got 2 goals in the span of a minute or so, and scored a late garbage time goal....we lost 5-2 in the end.

We all agreed that the kids were awesome though...they completely blew away any expectations I had about how well they would play. Completely shocked. For their first organized game together as a team, they played great. I got to make most of the substitutions, which was pretty cool. The game flew by too...it went so much faster on the sideline than it did on the field.

Users who are viewing this thread