What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (2 Viewers)

Looking at our draw another way, here are the Odds broken down by pot:

Pot One:

Spain 9/2

Brazil 11/2

England 5/1

Argentina 8/1

Italy 11/1

Germany 12/1

Holland 14/1

South Africa 125/1

Pot Two:

USA 66/1

Mexico 125/1

Australia 125/1

Japan 200/1

South Korea 250/1

Honduras 200/1

North Korea 750/1

New Zealand 750/1

Pot Three:

Ivory Coast 33/1

Ghana 50/1

Chile 40/1

Paraguay 50/1

Nigeria 80/1

Cameroon 80/1

Uruguay 100/1

Algeria 200/1

Pot Four:

France 16/1

Portugal 25/1

Serbia 80/1

Denmark 100/1

Greece 100/1

Switzerland 100/1

Slovakia 150/1

Slovenia 150/1

So according to Vegas (Monte Carlo?), we drew the weakest team from both pots three and four. Just incredible.
You're only looking at it from one angle. One could also say that the reason that the teams in our pool from Pots 3 and 4 have such long odds is because they are in a pool with the strongest Pot 2 team and the third-strongest seeded team.The truth is probably a bit of both.
yeah, but in reality, any result against england is a bonus. so to finish 2nd - which is what you have to do to advance - you must beat the two weakest teams possible from their respective pods.i think that's amazingly simple.

and that's what the odds are telling us: US is 66:1 but of the pot 2 teams is far and away the best odds - almost 2:1 better than mexico.

Speaking of Ivory Coast....Didier Drogba & Friends must have been ####ting their pants watching this draw unfold lol.

Four years ago they end up in the Group Of Death with Argentina, Netherlands and Serbia-Montenegro and this time they get to fight it out with Brazil and Portugal. Nice.
I know all the media are going gaga over this, but since N Korea is so weak, it's actually not that bad a draw for them. They now basically have a 50-50 shot of going through which is about what their shot would be with two 20-ish ranked teams (and what their odds were before the draw). The one bad part is a draw vs. Portugal means that it will go to GD and then goals, so everyone will be laying wood on N Korea.
I watched a N Korea game... of the teams in the WC I've watched, they're definitely better than NZ and Slovakia. Not great- but not terrible either.
Honestly, they might make a push for the record of most goals against (El Salvador who were 1-13 goals for / goals against in 1982, which I make fun of my trucha friends about all the time).Prediction: Brazil 4-0 over NK, Portugal 3-0 over NK, Ivory Coast 6-0 over NK for a total of 0-13 in the tournament. Ivory Coast advances due to their thrashing of NK in the last game. Drogba has a hat trick and Kalou has 2 goals, but Yaya Touré scores the 6th in the 92nd to push them through.

Can't believe the lack of love Group E is getting- Netherlands, Cameroon, Japan and Denmark.

I'd have to say Denmark is the weakest team of that group, snobbily preferring the way Japan plays (or at least has played the last bunch of years- not too familiar with the current team)- and Denmark beat out Sweden and Portugual to win their qualifying group. But that's another group where there should be a real battle to get the 2nd spot... and the Dutch better play up to their game or there might be some suprises there.

BTW- #### Italy and that sissy draw. NZ is horrible. Slovakia is a team the US dominated for long stretches- away, yet, and without LD- and despite the loss looked far better, even without the forwards playing well at all. So it come down to Paraguay- not a pushover by any means, but NZ and Slovakia already fit that bill.
Good draw for the Netherlands. Not too easy, not too hard, but certainly not a group to underestimate. We should be able to finish first under normal circumstances and I think Cameroon and Denmark aren't too far apart in strength. Japan is definitely the lesser of the 4 teams.I think we have a good shot to advance out of this group, possibly facing Paraguay in the 2nd round and a likely match up vs Brazil in the quarter finals, which is where I predict the tournament will end for us, but you never know. Games still need to be played and Brazil has its own work cut out for them and it's certainly no sure thing for them to finish first in a group with Portugal and Ivory Coast.
I get playing it pessimistically safe, but c'mon- you know the Dutch are as capable of beating the top teams as any other team in the WC next year. Didn't they finish undefeated in qualifying too?eta: I guess having your team lose in the quarters to Brazil isn't that pessimistic... but if the Netherlands were my team, I'd be feeling pretty good about their chances.

You really put Japan as the "definite" lesser team of the 4? I won't argue too much on this, since I think all three of those teams are pretty close. But from what I've seen of all those teams, the Danish seem the lesser team. Not by much mind you- and they've obviously proven to be consistent and capable. Without looking, I feel like they pulled off a lot of 1-0 games (ignore the US drubbing)... not a lot of power going at goal if my memory serves me, but disciplined on both sides of the ball. Japan might be a little less consistent, but they attack very well when the pistons are firing. Like I said before- that group should[/] have a battle-royale going between the other three teams who, for my money, are the closest in quality of any other group.
Yeah, I think Japan is the lesser of the 4. That's not to say they won't be able to hold any of the other 3 to a draw on a good night, but the other 3 a much more seasoned squads.I do feel good about our chances, but I'm very weary of our defense, which is the weakness of our team. We played Scotland, Norway, Macedonia and Iceland in the qualifying group and those teams aren't exactly known for their attacking prowess.

The three teams we're playing in the group stage aren't exactly known for their attacking style either, Cameroon might be the exception, but I feel once we play a near equal team in the knock out stages our offensive abilities won't be able to keep the pressure off of our defense., especially not against Brazil.

I mean, we can beat any of the other 31 teams, but when it boils down to it in a do or die game versus one of the favorites like a Spain or Brazil our defense will prove to be the achilles' heel.

North Korea had the best defence in Asian qualifying, this is in a region with South Korea, Japan, Saudi Arabia and Iran. They won't be scoring many goals. But I can see them getting a 0-0 draw, or possibly snatching a late equaliser for a draw given their excellent fitness levels.

A few more random thoughts :bow:

All the talk of various "we"-s and then trying to figure out what country the poster is referring to is kinda fun. Though it'd be more fun if we can add some World Cup Flags to the "Follows Closely" item on the profile :goodposting:

When someone gets a chance (who knows maybe me), I'd be curious about what the altitude situation is game for game for each team. I think the teams that to switch, especially from low to high, may have a unique challenge. It also would be interesting to know who usually plays at altitude and even those who have reasonable experience on the road at altitude. Chile would be a team that comes to mind in this regard, in fact really all the South American teams.

As to North Korea, Brazil frankly may have been the worst first game they could've drawn. When they pour it on, they can just absolutely toy with teams and seem to score at will and knowing it what it might take I can definitely see they put a marker down and throw a crazy number like a 7 up there. Could be sort of an England vs Andorra scenario (I recall the matchcast for that 6-0 English victory in qualifiers) which basically devolved into andorra playing a 10-0-0 formation :) I supposed it's possible Brazil will look ahead to the other two matches, but I doubt it heartily.

I'm having trouble of even conceiving a scenario where North Korea would advance. Finish with 2 points and have Brazil beat the other two teams worse than they beat them while pulling off 2 miracle draws?

I wish I could see what the media reports were out of North Korea about the draw and also what they'll be about the results. That's gotta be some seriously creative writing going on there!

-QG

i don't get why we care so much about north korea. do you think they're sitting around in north korea saying 'damn, us got a nice draw?"

i don't get why we care so much about north korea. do you think they're sitting around in north korea saying 'damn, us got a nice draw?"
I think it's probably the fascination of them basically having the most impossible task. Swap them into any other group and it'd be much less interesting. If New Zealand were in their place, the situation would likely be the same. Frankly I find the entire thing fascinating - soup to nuts, from the way all teams get qualified in the various ways, to the crazy ways of FIFA, to the mathematics of the situations, to the inevitable side-stories that come into play.-QG

Awesome draw for the US. One of the best possible, really. Maybe, just maybe we get out of group play.

Anyone claiming we beat England is half way ######ed. Player to player explain how the US could win. Fabio Capello is a coach, Bradley is a chimp.

Algeria and Slovenia? One of them will beat the US.

DMB will somehow make the squad.

With a real coach I would say getting to the knockout stage would be automatic.

That was a better draw than I was even daring to hope for. If they can get a draw against England, they have a really good chance to get to the quarters.
Predicting a win over Germany? :goodposting:
Australia imo
I think that AUS struggles to make it out of group.
It's a pretty tough group but style wise it could have been worse. Apologies to #1 Fan of Ghana Soccer, but noone really sparks terror.The squad has been together a long time, has some real quality in it, and while the coach has been criticised somewhat for the lack of enterprise in qualifying (the Guus Hiddink 2006 team is a big ask to folopw on from though) they have essentially developed a game specifically for the world cup and to be fair we went through Asia pitifully easily. World Class keeper and well organised defence behind a solid midfield and a couple of talismans up the pitch in Kewell and Cahill. We dont score a huge amount, but we dont let many in.We'll go further than many think. We'll probably finish second in the group (on purpose so we can knock the choking poms out, hopefully in a penalty shootout). At some point destiny demands a rematch against the cheating diving Italians.

German press is talking about a cake walk. I think they're off worse than they think right now. I for one was glad when Australia was paired with Germany and wouldn't be joining group E.

Can't believe the lack of love Group E is getting- Netherlands, Cameroon, Japan and Denmark.

I'd have to say Denmark is the weakest team of that group, snobbily preferring the way Japan plays (or at least has played the last bunch of years- not too familiar with the current team)- and Denmark beat out Sweden and Portugual to win their qualifying group. But that's another group where there should be a real battle to get the 2nd spot... and the Dutch better play up to their game or there might be some suprises there.

BTW- #### Italy and that sissy draw. NZ is horrible. Slovakia is a team the US dominated for long stretches- away, yet, and without LD- and despite the loss looked far better, even without the forwards playing well at all. So it come down to Paraguay- not a pushover by any means, but NZ and Slovakia already fit that bill.
Good draw for the Netherlands. Not too easy, not too hard, but certainly not a group to underestimate. We should be able to finish first under normal circumstances and I think Cameroon and Denmark aren't too far apart in strength. Japan is definitely the lesser of the 4 teams.I think we have a good shot to advance out of this group, possibly facing Paraguay in the 2nd round and a likely match up vs Brazil in the quarter finals, which is where I predict the tournament will end for us, but you never know. Games still need to be played and Brazil has its own work cut out for them and it's certainly no sure thing for them to finish first in a group with Portugal and Ivory Coast.
I get playing it pessimistically safe, but c'mon- you know the Dutch are as capable of beating the top teams as any other team in the WC next year. Didn't they finish undefeated in qualifying too?eta: I guess having your team lose in the quarters to Brazil isn't that pessimistic... but if the Netherlands were my team, I'd be feeling pretty good about their chances.

You really put Japan as the "definite" lesser team of the 4? I won't argue too much on this, since I think all three of those teams are pretty close. But from what I've seen of all those teams, the Danish seem the lesser team. Not by much mind you- and they've obviously proven to be consistent and capable. Without looking, I feel like they pulled off a lot of 1-0 games (ignore the US drubbing)... not a lot of power going at goal if my memory serves me, but disciplined on both sides of the ball. Japan might be a little less consistent, but they attack very well when the pistons are firing. Like I said before- that group should[/] have a battle-royale going between the other three teams who, for my money, are the closest in quality of any other group.
Yeah, I think Japan is the lesser of the 4. That's not to say they won't be able to hold any of the other 3 to a draw on a good night, but the other 3 a much more seasoned squads.I do feel good about our chances, but I'm very weary of our defense, which is the weakness of our team. We played Scotland, Norway, Macedonia and Iceland in the qualifying group and those teams aren't exactly known for their attacking prowess.

The three teams we're playing in the group stage aren't exactly known for their attacking style either, Cameroon might be the exception, but I feel once we play a near equal team in the knock out stages our offensive abilities won't be able to keep the pressure off of our defense., especially not against Brazil.

I mean, we can beat any of the other 31 teams, but when it boils down to it in a do or die game versus one of the favorites like a Spain or Brazil our defense will prove to be the achilles' heel.
Good stuff- :thumbup: No reason for me to harp on it since I have absolutely no stake in their team and I've only watched Japan play a couple of teams in the last two years- not enough to make me an expert or anything, but they play a nice attacking style and can be very organised int he back. They can put up goals and be a problem for better teams... if they stay organised.

I hope the Netherlands can sort it out in the back, per your concerns- I love watching them play and would love to see them do well in 10.

North Korea had the best defence in Asian qualifying, this is in a region with South Korea, Japan, Saudi Arabia and Iran. They won't be scoring many goals. But I can see them getting a 0-0 draw, or possibly snatching a late equaliser for a draw given their excellent fitness levels.
this.But I don't see them scoring any goals at all. They'll go down 1 or 2 zip in really ugly games.

Sammy3469 said:
Call me crazy, but I don't think England is necessarily the worst team matchup-wise for us especially on the attacking end. It's pretty evident we need to attack down the left flank to isolate Cole on a bigger forward/MF for the cross in (and Cole has gotten exposed a couple of times at Chelsea this year with just this type of attack). Thankfully that's our preferred attacking tactic with Donovan feeding crosses into Dempsey/Altidore/Casey.

On defense if they don't start Crouch, I'd clog the middle on defensive end and let them try to break us down (ala Spain in the Confed Cup). They really don't have anyone that particular scares you in the air in the flow of play.

Having said that, with their MF they'll probably have the ball 60+% of the time, so they can break us down at any time.
Steve or Frank to ROONEY? We are gonna die in this match imo.

Sammy3469 said:
Call me crazy, but I don't think England is necessarily the worst team matchup-wise for us especially on the attacking end. It's pretty evident we need to attack down the left flank to isolate Cole on a bigger forward/MF for the cross in (and Cole has gotten exposed a couple of times at Chelsea this year with just this type of attack). Thankfully that's our preferred attacking tactic with Donovan feeding crosses into Dempsey/Altidore/Casey.

On defense if they don't start Crouch, I'd clog the middle on defensive end and let them try to break us down (ala Spain in the Confed Cup). They really don't have anyone that particular scares you in the air in the flow of play.

Having said that, with their MF they'll probably have the ball 60+% of the time, so they can break us down at any time.
England's going to be really good. A few guys that get lost amongst the hoopla surrounding guys like Lampard, Gerrard, Terry, Rooney, Crouch,....are Shaun Wright Philips and Jermaine Dafoe. They are both extremely fast and can make a lot of matchup problems for anyone coming down the flanks.

Someone mentioned one particular problem is going to be if England wins their first two games and rests their starters. Well, it's really an embarassment of riches for the English side, in particular on offense. They may be a bit suspect in the back, especially on the sides and goalkeep, but midfield and strikers there is talent to spare.

And don't think this team will not be hugely inspired to do well here in light of their recent letdowns on the world class stage.

I root for Germany, and the US, but England is a team I wouldn't mind seeing winning it all either.
:(

Sammy3469 said:

England's going to be really good. A few guys that get lost amongst the hoopla surrounding guys like Lampard, Gerrard, Terry, Rooney, Crouch,....are Shaun Wright Philips and Jermaine Dafoe. They are both extremely fast and can make a lot of matchup problems for anyone coming down the flanks.

Someone mentioned one particular problem is going to be if England wins their first two games and rests their starters. Well, it's really an embarassment of riches for the English side, in particular on offense. They may be a bit suspect in the back, especially on the sides and goalkeep, but midfield and strikers there is talent to spare.

And don't think this team will not be hugely inspired to do well here in light of their recent letdowns on the world class stage.

I root for Germany, and the US, but England is a team I wouldn't mind seeing winning it all either.
:(
I wouldn't be at all surprised if SWP doesn't make the English team. He's clearly behind Lennon as a right sided flank player. I imagine Capello will take Beckham just for dead ball situations in the last 20 minutes of a close game. That means Phillips would have to play on the left. Even if Capello thinks Ashley Young is off form, he'll probably end up playing Gerrard there or something.

Very happy with the US draw. :(

Will be even happier when we beat England. :thumbup:
We are gonna get SMOKED by England, but we should still advance at least. Could any of our starters outside of keeper even start for them? Honestly? I think Spain or England wins it all. I wanna see the final rosters first before I predict though.

I have heard SWP might not make it but if you watch him play alot (Man. City-Chelski today as a matter of fact) you would have to disagree with that thinking. I think it's just a way to motivate the dude myself.

BTW, I wouldn't sleep on France either (and i'm half Irish, lol). Yes, Henry has fallen off but they still have a couple of decent strikers named Karim Benzema and Nicolas Anelka (easy top twenty world player imo). Samir Nasri will help the cause also. Not as good as England :confused: in the midfield they still have a solid core of vets mixed with a couple of pups that can do the job. Franck Ribéry is world class. I think the defenders on this team is what will have to get them through though (Unless the keeper ruins it). William Gallas is still solid. Bacary Sagna has potential if he stays healthy imo. Éric Abidal will play(how well?) tons of minutes, and I hear that Patrice Evra :D is pretty decent too. Gaël Clichy too. Up and comer Aly Cissokho should be in the mix also. Solid squad. Of course I probably missed a key guy or four and things change 6 months out but they look real good to me. I actually do hope they don't get a point though.

I have heard SWP might not make it but if you watch him play alot (Man. City-Chelski today as a matter of fact) you would have to disagree with that thinking. I think it's just a way to motivate the dude myself. BTW, I wouldn't sleep on France either (and i'm half Irish, lol). Yes, Henry has fallen off but they still have a couple of decent strikers named Karim Benzema and Nicolas Anelka (easy top twenty world player imo). Samir Nasri will help the cause also. Not as good as England :boxing: in the midfield they still have a solid core of vets mixed with a couple of pups that can do the job. Franck Ribéry is world class. I think the defenders on this team is what will have to get them through though (Unless the keeper ruins it). William Gallas is still solid. Bacary Sagna has potential if he stays healthy imo. Éric Abidal will play(how well?) tons of minutes, and I hear that Patrice Evra :D is pretty decent too. Gaël Clichy too. Up and comer Aly Cissokho should be in the mix also. Solid squad. Of course I probably missed a key guy or four and things change 6 months out but they look real good to me. I actually do hope they don't get a point though.
Yoann Gourcuff is the key for France IMO. If he shows up big like Ribery did in the last WC, France can make a deep run.

Very happy with the US draw. :boxing:

Will be even happier when we beat England. :D
We are gonna get SMOKED by England, but we should still advance at least. Could any of our starters outside of keeper even start for them? Honestly? I think Spain or England wins it all. I wanna see the final rosters first before I predict though.
That isn't really the metric to use when deciding whether we have a chance or not. Most of our players couldn't start for Spain or Brazil, but we obviously have the squad to play with and beat those teams which are much better than England.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very happy with the US draw. :unsure:

Will be even happier when we beat England. :)
That isn't really the metric to use when deciding whether we have a chance or not. Most of our players couldn't start for Spain or Brazil, but we obviously have the squad to play with and beat those teams which are much better than England.
:coffee:

Cool to see Tuncay back in the EPL here with Stoke. Always liked the guy.

Solid first half for Arsenal...Fabregas missed PK sucked....Gunners managing to get by without a true striker, although they have Carlos Vela in there now.

Very happy with the US draw. :excited:

Will be even happier when we beat England. :)
You think so? I know on any givin Sunday and all but I just don't see it. I think when the stakes are high for these top players and countries we are gonna get smoked.

Cool to see Tuncay back in the EPL here with Stoke. Always liked the guy.Solid first half for Arsenal...Fabregas missed PK sucked....Gunners managing to get by without a true striker, although they have Carlos Vela in there now.
Kinda boring so far imo. Portsmouth game was more exciting, lol. Go Man. city! I HATE Chelsea.

Cool to see Tuncay back in the EPL here with Stoke. Always liked the guy.Solid first half for Arsenal...Fabregas missed PK sucked....Gunners managing to get by without a true striker, although they have Carlos Vela in there now.
Kinda boring so far imo. Portsmouth game was more exciting, lol. Go Man. city! I HATE Chelsea.
Kinda boring, sure, but just the kind of game Arsenal need at this point, I'd think. Losing to Sunderland and Chelsea in their last two EPL games and the midweek loss to Man City (albeit with a scrub lineup vs. City's starters, because League >>> League Cup, but still), it's nice to have a strong win where you control the game.This one's not over by any stretch, but it's a good confidence builder, if they win, that can help them stay near the top of the table.

Very happy with the US draw. :lmao:

Will be even happier when we beat England. :lmao:
You think so? I know on any givin Sunday and all but I just don't see it. I think when the stakes are high for these top players and countries we are gonna get smoked.
I would certainly say that our Confederation's Cup performance would suggest otherwise. Or at least suggest that it isn't always the case. We could always not show up for the World Cup like we did in the first couple of matches in the Confederation's Cup. But as long as we play smart, disciplined, and to our strengths I see no reason to predict us getting blown out by any team. A lot of that comes down to leadership and coaching and I think Landon is very underrated by most of the world for the leadership and experience at this level he brings to the squad. There are few players in world soccer that have impact on their teams like Landon on the USMNT.

This is the official who's a fan of what team(s) post. As many teams/leagues as you want to put in here.

International

United States - everyone

Argentina - Sebowski

Bolivia - Sebowski

Brazil - Desert Power, Future Mrs. Z Machine (FMZM)

Canada - Polsonov?

England - LHUCKS, SmoovySmoov, AAABatteries

Germany - Mjolnirs, eagles2007, editor47

Italy - Steve Tasker

Netherlands - MrPhoenix, AAABatteries

Portugal - Gator

Serbia - Vipers

Spain - Sebowski, Kansas Comet, Z Machine

Venezuela - FMZM

England

EPL

Arsenal - Steve Tasker, Sebowski, FMZM, Brewer, Vipers

Chelsea - Native (pre-Abramovich)

Everton - Senor Schmutzig, eagles2007

Fulham - Christo

Liverpool - MrPhoenix, Bentley, Kendall, Z Machine, SmoovySmoov, editor47, Gator

Manchester City - editor47

Manchester United - B Maverick, AAABatteries, JuniorNB

Championship

Ipswich Town - Texas Football

Newcastle - Polsonov

Queen's Park Rangers - Christo

Spain

Atletico Madrid - Z Machine

Barcelona - Desert Power, Sebowski, Kansas Comet

Real Madrid - FMZM

Sevilla - Kansas Comet

Italy

Udinese - eagles2007

Germany

Bayern Munchen - Mjolnirs

Borussia Dortmund - eagles2007, editor47

VfL Wolfsburg - SmoovySmoov

Scotland

Celtic - walnutz

Rangers - Senor Schmutzig

USA

MLS

Chicago Fire - Senor Schmutzig, Vipers

DC United - walnutz

LA Galaxy - Kansas Comet, Z Machine

New England Revolution - andy b

New York Red Bulls - JuniorNB

Philadelphia Union - FMZM, eagles2007, editor47

Seattle Sounders - Vipers, SmoovySmoov

Toronto FC - Steve Tasker

USL First Division

Carolina Railhawks - walnutz

Charleston Battery - Mjolnirs, walnutz

WPS

FC Sky Blue - JuniorNB

St. Louis Athletica - walnutz

Argentina

Boca Juniors - Steve Tasker, walnutz

Newell's Old Boys - Z Machine

River Plate - FMZM

Mexico

Chivas Guadalajara - Z Machine

UNAM Pumas - FMZM
Bump for any new folks

I have heard SWP might not make it but if you watch him play alot (Man. City-Chelski today as a matter of fact) you would have to disagree with that thinking. I think it's just a way to motivate the dude myself.
I've watched SWP a lot. . I just don't see it. He's quick, but that's pretty much what he is. If we assume that England takes 6 or 7 midfielders, I don't see a place for him. Lampard, Gerrard, and Barry are locks. Milner is probably a lock because he can play both flank positions and he's a tireless defender. You probably need a second holding midfielder in case something happens to Barry (or you end up playing Barry at LB because you took 7 MFs), which is either Carrick or Huddlestone. I think you take Beckham because he's still the best dead ball specialist in the world, and he can also sub for Lampard and play a deep lying Pirlo role. If you still want a pacey right-sided flank player, SWP is in a group with Lennon and Walcott. For my money, he's third choice on that list.

I've watched SWP a lot. . I just don't see it. He's quick, but that's pretty much what he is. If we assume that England takes 6 or 7 midfielders, I don't see a place for him. Lampard, Gerrard, and Barry are locks. Milner is probably a lock because he can play both flank positions and he's a tireless defender. You probably need a second holding midfielder in case something happens to Barry (or you end up playing Barry at LB because you took 7 MFs), which is either Carrick or Huddlestone. I think you take Beckham because he's still the best dead ball specialist in the world, and he can also sub for Lampard and play a deep lying Pirlo role. If you still want a pacey right-sided flank player, SWP is in a group with Lennon and Walcott. For my money, he's third choice on that list.
Agreed on SWP. He seems to me like one of those players have have the measurables but never really seem to put it together. Although they're differently sized, his play has always reminded me of Ryan Babel. I love watching both Babel and SWP play, there's no doubt that they're exciting players. But something's lacking. Very little consistency and sorta one-dimensional.Another guy who I think you have to add into that mix is Ashley Young, who appears to have the offensive gifts that SWP has but appears to have the drive and defensive determination, IMO, that SWP sometimes lacks. I know he's only been capped a handful of times, but I can't for the life of me figure out why Capello (or anyone) would prefer SWP to Ashley Young. The only thing I can really think of is that SWP plays for the better club team.

Agreed on SWP. He seems to me like one of those players have have the measurables but never really seem to put it together. Although they're differently sized, his play has always reminded me of Ryan Babel. I love watching both Babel and SWP play, there's no doubt that they're exciting players. But something's lacking. Very little consistency and sorta one-dimensional.Another guy who I think you have to add into that mix is Ashley Young, who appears to have the offensive gifts that SWP has but appears to have the drive and defensive determination, IMO, that SWP sometimes lacks. I know he's only been capped a handful of times, but I can't for the life of me figure out why Capello (or anyone) would prefer SWP to Ashley Young. The only thing I can really think of is that SWP plays for the better club team.
:goodposting: Agreed on all points, I love watching SWP play too but there is no place for him on the English squad.

Steve Tasker said:
scoobygang said:
PIK95 said:
:thumbup: :coffee: :thumbdown:

Steve Tasker said:
This is the official who's a fan of what team(s) post. As many teams/leagues as you want to put in here.

International

United States - everyone

Argentina - Sebowski

Bolivia - Sebowski

Brazil - Desert Power, Future Mrs. Z Machine (FMZM)

Canada - Polsonov?

England - LHUCKS, SmoovySmoov, AAABatteries

Germany - Mjolnirs, eagles2007, editor47

Italy - Steve Tasker

Netherlands - MrPhoenix, AAABatteries

Portugal - Gator

Serbia - Vipers

Spain - Sebowski, Kansas Comet, Z Machine

Venezuela - FMZM

England

EPL

Arsenal - Steve Tasker, Sebowski, FMZM, Brewer, Vipers

Chelsea - Native (pre-Abramovich)

Everton - Senor Schmutzig, eagles2007

Fulham - Christo

Liverpool - MrPhoenix, Bentley, Kendall, Z Machine, SmoovySmoov, editor47, Gator

Manchester City - editor47

Manchester United - B Maverick, AAABatteries, JuniorNB

Championship

Ipswich Town - Texas Football

Newcastle - Polsonov

Queen's Park Rangers - Christo

Spain

Atletico Madrid - Z Machine

Barcelona - Desert Power, Sebowski, Kansas Comet

Real Madrid - FMZM

Sevilla - Kansas Comet

Italy

Udinese - eagles2007

Germany

Bayern Munchen - Mjolnirs

Borussia Dortmund - eagles2007, editor47

VfL Wolfsburg - SmoovySmoov

Scotland

Celtic - walnutz

Rangers - Senor Schmutzig

USA

MLS

Chicago Fire - Senor Schmutzig, Vipers

DC United - walnutz

LA Galaxy - Kansas Comet, Z Machine

New England Revolution - andy b

New York Red Bulls - JuniorNB

Philadelphia Union - FMZM, eagles2007, editor47

Seattle Sounders - Vipers, SmoovySmoov

Toronto FC - Steve Tasker

USL First Division

Carolina Railhawks - walnutz

Charleston Battery - Mjolnirs, walnutz

WPS

FC Sky Blue - JuniorNB

St. Louis Athletica - walnutz

Argentina

Boca Juniors - Steve Tasker, walnutz

Newell's Old Boys - Z Machine

River Plate - FMZM

Mexico

Chivas Guadalajara - Z Machine

UNAM Pumas - FMZM
Bump for any new folks
I should be down for Liverpool of course. And hating Chelski. I guess the Revs as I live like 30 mins from Foxboro. Ireland for my family. Im half German but I can't root for Sprockets (lothar fan).

Why all this talk about the English national team? They'll win the group, get past the first knockout game and lose in the quarterfinals like usual. They don't have the attacking talent to push all the way through and they don't have the drive that other teams have. Honestly, I think that France has as much talent this year as England, and France is in a down year.

You EPL fanboys watch too much of those games and don't see any of the rest of the players in the world. Furthermore, you see some elite talents play in the EPL which don't wear the English uni, and that colors your judgment about the talent that England (the country) has.

Why all this talk about the English national team? They'll win the group, get past the first knockout game and lose in the quarterfinals like usual. They don't have the attacking talent to push all the way through and they don't have the drive that other teams have. Honestly, I think that France has as much talent this year as England, and France is in a down year.You EPL fanboys watch too much of those games and don't see any of the rest of the players in the world. Furthermore, you see some elite talents play in the EPL which don't wear the English uni, and that colors your judgment about the talent that England (the country) has.
I'm only talking about it cause people are talking about SWP. I get #### on in here (and possibly rightfully so) often because I've called England overrated for a long time now. I STILL think they're overrated.Not sure if I qualify as an EPL fanboy, but I "watch too much of those games" because they're basically the only league that's on TV here except for an occasional Italian/MLS/Argentinian/Spanish game. I'd LOVE to watch the Spanish games, but with 1 game on per week here, it's tough to really get into it and follow a team. If I'd spent time in Spain like you or Desert Power or my real-life Valencia fan friends who studied abroad there, I'd make an effort to watch games online. I have no favorite Spanish team - it'd be different if I did, but having so few games televised makes it difficult.

Why all this talk about the English national team? They'll win the group, get past the first knockout game and lose in the quarterfinals like usual. They don't have the attacking talent to push all the way through and they don't have the drive that other teams have. Honestly, I think that France has as much talent this year as England, and France is in a down year.

You EPL fanboys watch too much of those games and don't see any of the rest of the players in the world. Furthermore, you see some elite talents play in the EPL which don't wear the English uni, and that colors your judgment about the talent that England (the country) has.
I watch EPL, La Liga, and Serie A. all the time. I watch as many champions league games as possible too. With Goal TV, FSC, and even ESPN now it's easy here to watch everything. Especially since I'm retired at 34. :goodposting: EPL is the best league by quite a bit imo(8 deep anyway so Ill watch it more) but Barca, Chelski (#@%&*$#) and Madrid are the best TEAMS in the world. I like Spain and England alot to advance after seeing the draw but I'll admit I wanna research the Afican and Asian teams a lil more before picking a winner.Edited to add I don't think Portugal goes ANYWHERE.

Double edited to add I get car sick watching MLS.

Desert_Power said:
PIK95 said:
Very happy with the US draw. :thumbup:

Will be even happier when we beat England. :lmao:
I was thinking more about this. So we are Valparaíso to Englands Kansas? I would love to see us win and win it all even but It's a VERY long shot imo.

Users who are viewing this thread