What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Man City Confirm Interest in Donovan

===================================

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=ro-donovan072110

Landon Donovan could have the chance to become the highest-paid American soccer player in history after Manchester City said Wednesday that the English Premier League club is trying to sign the United States star.

Man City head coach Roberto Mancini confirmed to English media outlets that Donovan has emerged as a transfer target, a development that Yahoo! Sports first reported on June 27. Multiple sources close to the club insisted that Donovan stands to earn $7 million per season if a move is completed.

The 28-year-old’s salary with the Los Angeles Galaxy is $2,127,777.78.

“Donovan is a good player,” Mancini said when asked if a transfer was likely. “It could be possible.”

Major League Soccer chief Don Garber claimed last week that the league would not entertain offers for Donovan, whose three goals for the U.S. in the World Cup confirmed his status as the best and most widely recognized American star.

Landon Donovan could have the chance to become the highest-paid American soccer player in history after Manchester City said Wednesday that the English Premier League club is trying to sign the United States star.

Man City head coach Roberto Mancini confirmed to English media outlets that Donovan has emerged as a transfer target, a development that Yahoo! Sports first reported on June 27. Multiple sources close to the club insisted that Donovan stands to earn $7 million per season if a move is completed.

“Donovan is a good player,” Mancini said when asked if a transfer was likely. “It could be possible.”

Major League Soccer chief Don Garber claimed last week that the league would not entertain offers for Donovan, whose three goals for the U.S. in the World Cup confirmed his status as the best and most widely recognized American star.
FWIW, supposedly the English media doesn't believe this for a second...of course they theought Jol was a done deal to Fulham when some of the US guys were tweeting about it following through yesterday, so who really knows. Soccer silly season is fun.

FWIW, supposedly the English media doesn't believe this for a second...of course they thought Jol was a done deal to Fulham when some of the US guys were tweeting about it following through yesterday, so who really knows. Soccer silly season is fun.
yeah I get the feeling Mancini's answer here seems like a stock answer for the 10 thousand names the reporters likely throw at him every day.

Marquez to Red Bull signing is getting closer it looks like.

============================================================================

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/soccerblog/r...FwFF0XM20XMHB9I

Mexican National Team captain Rafa Marquez has reportedly reached a tentative agreement to join the Red Bulls.

Sport.es is reporting that Marquez is vacationing here in New York and reached personal terms, but the deal won’t be announced until Aug. 1 because the 31-year-old has to fly back to Barcelona on Monday and negotiate a release from the Catalan giants.

Soccer America claims the deal is for three or four years, and would pay Marquez about $2.8 million per season.

When asked about the likelihood of adding a third designated player, Red Bull coach Hans Backe was now certain they would sign somebody.

"I can just say I am confident it will be done. I can't say when, but I will say it will definitely be in 10 to 12 days,'' Backe said. When asked if that meant he was certain they would land a singular target or if he was referring to a fallback Plan B already having been lined up, he said "Just confident we will get one DP player.''

Mexican National Team captain Rafa Marquez has reportedly reached a tentative agreement to join the Red Bulls.

Sport.es is reporting that Marquez is vacationing here in New York and reached personal terms, but the deal won’t be announced until Aug. 1 because the 31-year-old has to fly back to Barcelona on Monday and negotiate a release from the Catalan giants.

Soccer America claims the deal is for three or four years, and would pay Marquez about $2.8 million per season.

When asked about the likelihood of adding a third designated player, Red Bull coach Hans Backe was now certain they would sign somebody.

"I can just say I am confident it will be done. I can't say when, but I will say it will definitely be in 10 to 12 days,'' Backe said. When asked if that meant he was certain they would land a singular target or if he was referring to a fallback Plan B already having been lined up, he said "Just confident we will get one DP player.''
This is one signing I just don't get, then again I'm not the one singing the checks

FWIW, supposedly the English media doesn't believe this for a second...of course they theought Jol was a done deal to Fulham when some of the US guys were tweeting about it following through yesterday, so who really knows. Soccer silly season is fun.
well, the article did only state that City has "interest" in Donovan, and frankly, I'm not sure there is a player in the World City does not have interest in.It does appear City is set on signing at least one more attacking midfielder, and we'll see if this Milner to City deal goes down. I'm kind of surprised that Milner is asking to leave Villa, as AV has a fantastic coach, and a pretty solid team. Sadly, I think this is a sign that the EPL is quickly going to become a league of the haves, and have nots and if you are not on one of the 4-5 teams with a lot of money, you're chances of getting to CL play will be very slim. Not sure Villa has the fire power to compete with the likes of Chelsea, United, Arsenal and now Man City. Spurs and Liverpool probably have more talent too. Kind of leaves teams like Everton and Aston Villa stuck in the middle of the table.

This is one signing I just don't get, then again I'm not the one singing the checks
I think it is great for the league and would have been fantastic for many teams, but NY is not one of them. I feel like this is a bit of a waste of a DP slot for them. I am not sure Marquez is going to provide the midfield work they need. I am sure he will be a fine defensive midfielder in the league, maybe one of the best once he gets settled but I am not clear how this fixes the problem of getting service to Henry and Angel to be honest.

Sadly, I think this is a sign that the EPL is quickly going to become a league of the haves, and have nots and if you are not on one of the 4-5 teams with a lot of money, you're chances of getting to CL play will be very slim.
One could argue the EPL was already at this stage for a while. Looking at the top 3 in the EPL over the last 10 years, the same teams appear constantly.In the last 10 years, I believe only one team outside of ManU, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Liverpool have finished in the top 3, and that was Newcastle who finished 3rd back in 2002/3

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly, I think this is a sign that the EPL is quickly going to become a league of the haves, and have nots and if you are not on one of the 4-5 teams with a lot of money, you're chances of getting to CL play will be very slim.
One could argue the EPL was already at this stage for a while. Looking at the top 3 in the EPL over the last 10 years, the same teams appear constantly.In the last 10 years, I believe only one team outside of ManU, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Liverpool have finished in the top 3, and that was Newcastle who finished 3rd back in 2002/3
You could make the argument that the emergence of Citeh as a big money club expands the group of teams at the top. But the gap between the haves and have nots is pretty extreme and growing larger in all the big leagues of Europe. There are a number of cautionary tales of teams that overspent trying to play above their size and were crushed in the long term.

I think this has been the case for every european soccer league for as long as I have been following euro soccer - approx 25 years. A league of haves and have-nots is not seen as a negative, nor should it be. The concept of "parity" among the teams in a professional sports league as a desired goal is, as far as I can tell, strictly an American phenomena.

Phili might be a poor team this year but I think the fan base has a bunch to look forward to.

Some of the kids look solid and you have to figure they will sign a DP level player for next season.
Take that back. We are far from a poor team. In fact, I'm going on the record as saying the Union will make the playoffs. When you play 2 home games and 8 road games in your first 10, you are bound to wind up with a losing record unless you are an outstanding team. If the Union can solve goaltending/defense issues (I say they won't because it requires benching Seitz), everything will be fine.

Henry scored a goal in the 25th minute versus Tottenham in his Red Bull debut.

Red Bulls lead 1- 0 at halftime.

Bunch of my Irish buddies are out there cheering against him, and for Robbie Keane

Looks like others are starting to notice Andy Najar's talent. Arsenal has already procured a 3 week trial for Andy after the MLS season ends.

nice to see the MLS academies starting to crank out some serious talent. From what I hear, he is not the only Najar in the DC academy. Andy has a younger brother in the academy now.

You could make the argument that the emergence of Citeh as a big money club expands the group of teams at the top. But the gap between the haves and have nots is pretty extreme and growing larger in all the big leagues of Europe. There are a number of cautionary tales of teams that overspent trying to play above their size and were crushed in the long term.
As funny as it seems to an American sports fan, the path to parity in Europe likely comes through more spending, not less. The competition amongst European leagues means salary caps aren't happening, so the best you can hope for is that more teams get billionaire ownership and join the elite.The EPL race could be pretty interesting this year with City continuing its charge towards the top, Spurs upping the spending for their first CL foray and Liverpool trying to cling to its place among the elite.

That was pretty good entertainment for the LA - SJ match last night. Certainly was not the prettiest of affairs but lots of chances (for LA) and an exciting last minute equalizer.

Not sure how SJ got out of the HDC with a point though. They took their two chances well and then for 90 minutes were overwhelmed.

Is there anything to this rumor about the Yankees purchasing some part of Tottenham Hotspur? I hate the Yankees, but if they bring the cash...

Not a big fan of this rumor although I realize it is an agent talking crap likely

=======================================

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/soccerblog/a...15gdn4IeotnSqbL

Both the Red Bulls and Thierry Henry have talked about the newly-acquired star luring other top talent to New York. It seems he's doing so already, with reports that ex-Barcelona teammate Rafa Marquez has a preliminary deal in place and ex-France teammate David Trezeguet is eyeing a move to New York as well.

Trezeguet is expected to play out the final season on his Juventus contract, but his agent claims he wants to come to the Red Bulls next summer and team up with Henry again. Titi the Pied Piper?

"For the time being he will not move from Juventus because the coach needs him. Without a doubt David will respect his current contract,'' agent Antonio Caliendo told RMC. "We have received several offers and the one the player likes most is that of the New York Red Bulls. There he will meet up with (Thierry) Henry."

The 32-year-old Trezeguet played with Henry both at Monaco and on the French National Team. They won the 1998 World Cup and the 2000 European Championships, where Trezeguet scored the golden goal in a 2-1 extra time victory over Italy, where he has plied his trade since.

He's scored 170 goals for Juventus _ 137 in Serie A play _ since 2000, and had ten in 27 games played last season.

Red Bull captain Juan Pablo Angel is a Designated Player and was MLS' highest-paid striker at $1.8 million, until Henry arrived in New York. But Angel's contract runs out after this season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/soccer/co...tory?id=5399248

MLS is no stranger to criticism. After all, the league has struggled to gain respect and credibility over the years. Perhaps the biggest knock on MLS, the one that's cut the deepest, is that the top talent produced in the U.S. either stays for only a brief stint before bolting to greener pastures, er, pitches in Europe, or bypasses the league entirely.

Yet as we reach the midway point of its 15th season, MLS has attracted a quintet of promising prospects. These players could contribute strongly to the league's future and ongoing quest for respect from the other side of the pond and south of the border.

So here they are, the top five youngest and brightest playing in the MLS:

5. Danny Mwanga, forward, Philadelphia Union

There were more MLS-ready players in the 2010 MLS SuperDraft than Danny Mwanga, but the expansion Philadelphia Union ignored them all and doggedly pursued a little-known college player.

Six months later, we're starting to see why.

Mwanga hadn't faced serious competition before coming to MLS. The 19-year-old played local soccer around Portland, Oregon, and competed in a weak conference while at Oregon State. But despite still being raw, he has managed to make an impact for the Union.

The 6-foot-2 Mwanga has displayed his knack for making nets buldge, scoring five goals so far this season. He's also dished out a pair of assists. The quick, strong striker has done it all while playing irregularly -- he has just six starts and five substitution appearances thus far -- for a team with a 4-8-2 record. Not bad for someone who has been played in the hole instead of the deep striker position he occupied for the past few years.

Considering how disappointing previous No. 1 draft picks have been, Mwanga's growth is encouraging, to say the least.

4. Bill Hamid, goalkeeper, D.C. United

In September, when Bill Hamid became the first D.C. United academy player to sign with United's first team, the club intended for the 19-year-old to be its third-string keeper. But Hamid developed so quickly that when backup Josh Wicks went down with an injury, United felt confident enough to release him and promote Hamid to the No. 2 spot.

Then Troy Perkins, for whom United had gone to great lengths to acquire in the offseason, suffered a deep dip in form. In stepped the 6-foot-3 Hamid, with his kung-fu-quick hands.

Hamid made his MLS debut on May 5, and became the youngest keeper in league history to win a game. He started three more matches before Perkins rebounded and won his job back. But in Hamid's spell at the top, United won two games -- impressive, considering the squad has notched just three victories this season to date.

In Hamid, D.C. United have a starter-in-waiting, and the U.S. men's national team may ultimately have a successor to Tim Howard.

3. Omar Gonzalez, defender, Los Angeles Galaxy

Some will cry foul at the omission of New York Red Bulls defender Tim Ream, who might be further along than Gonzalez. But Gonzalez, 21, is a year younger than Ream and earned a call-up to the annual U.S. national team camp for U.S.-based players in January. It was a move that indicated Gonzalez is on U.S. Soccer's radar for the next World Cup.

Gonzalez is a better defender than Ream, too. At 6-foot-5, Gonzalez dominates in the air but his height doesn't compromise his speed. While Ream is better at playing the ball out of the back, Gonzalez is more reliable for what he is paid to do -- defend.

Last season, Gonzalez had an outsized hand in turning the Galaxy from grossly underachieving bottom-feeders to MLS finalists, solidifying a once-paltry defense along with veteran Gregg Berhalter and fellow rookie A.J. DeLaGarza. For his troubles, Gonzalez was named the Rookie of the Year.

2. Roger Torres, midfielder, Philadelphia Union

With an expansion team, it's hard to predict who will be the load-bearing players from the outset. Surely, nobody had expected one of those guys to be Roger Torres, a 5-foot-5, 19-year-old on loan from Colombian club América de Cali.

In a midfield with experienced players like Fred and Stefani Miglioranzi, Torres has proven to be the most influential thanks to his sharp vision and ability to hold the ball and send in well-timed crosses. In the season-opener against Seattle, he dished Sébastien Le Toux with the club's first-ever goal on a superb cross. Torres has since doled out three more assists in his nine starts.

With a talent like this on its roster, the Union -- and MLS -- will no doubt be keen on trying to secure a permanent move for Torres.

1. Andy Najar, forward, D.C. United

While he seemingly came out of nowhere, the lithe forward has made heads turn this season with his speed, touch, and versatility. At just 17, and only four months into his pro career, Najar has not only been United's best player but he's also among the dozen or so standouts in the league this season.

Najar is the second player to sign out of the United's academy after dropping out of Edison High School in Northern Virginia. The Honduran has done most of his damage on opposing defenses on the wings, where he uses his pace and work-rate to play strikers into space.

He has started 11 of United's 17 games, missing a few due to a minor injury, and is slowly emerging into the type of player who teams build around. Before long, Najar could be known as the best player MLS has ever produced -- better, even, than Landon Donovan and Clint Dempsey.

Good news for ManU. There was lots of speculation Vidic was heading to Spain:

Vidic rewarded with long term Man Utd deal

24.07.10 | Ian Ferris

READ MORE NEWS ON: Manchester United, World Cup

According to chief executive David Gill, Nemanja Vidic has committed his long-term future to Manchester United.

The Serbia defender's current deal is up in two years but an extension to his contract has been agreed by both parties.

Vidic has been linked with a move away from Old Trafford but he is now staying at the club.

Gill told MUTV: "I am very pleased to confirm that we agreed terms with Nemanja three or four weeks ago on a new long-term deal with the club."

While the length of the contract extension has not been disclosed, Gill believes Vidic will put pen to paper next month.

Gill said: "We sat down with Nemanja and his advisor at the end of last season and started discussions. They broke up when Nemanja went away to the World Cup, but resumed when Serbia were knocked out.

"It's yet to be signed - the paperwork is now being sorted by our lawyers and being checked by Nemanja's advisors. He's still away on holiday but the plan is that when he gets back the papers will be signed.

"We've shaken hands on it and we're confident it will all be signed and sealed in early August.

"It's great news for Manchester United and great news for Nemanja and the fans."

Gill added: "There was a lot of speculation about Nemanja's future, but in my view it's been the media drumming some old stories.

"They certainly didn't come out of the Manchester United camp and I'm confident they didn't come out of Nemanja's camp."
http://www.tribalfootball.com/vidic-reward...utd-deal-994161

NewlyRetired said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/soccer/co...tory?id=5399248

MLS is no stranger to criticism. After all, the league has struggled to gain respect and credibility over the years. Perhaps the biggest knock on MLS, the one that's cut the deepest, is that the top talent produced in the U.S. either stays for only a brief stint before bolting to greener pastures, er, pitches in Europe, or bypasses the league entirely.

Yet as we reach the midway point of its 15th season, MLS has attracted a quintet of promising prospects. These players could contribute strongly to the league's future and ongoing quest for respect from the other side of the pond and south of the border.

So here they are, the top five youngest and brightest playing in the MLS:

5. Danny Mwanga, forward, Philadelphia Union

There were more MLS-ready players in the 2010 MLS SuperDraft than Danny Mwanga, but the expansion Philadelphia Union ignored them all and doggedly pursued a little-known college player.

Six months later, we're starting to see why.

Mwanga hadn't faced serious competition before coming to MLS. The 19-year-old played local soccer around Portland, Oregon, and competed in a weak conference while at Oregon State. But despite still being raw, he has managed to make an impact for the Union.

The 6-foot-2 Mwanga has displayed his knack for making nets buldge, scoring five goals so far this season. He's also dished out a pair of assists. The quick, strong striker has done it all while playing irregularly -- he has just six starts and five substitution appearances thus far -- for a team with a 4-8-2 record. Not bad for someone who has been played in the hole instead of the deep striker position he occupied for the past few years.

Considering how disappointing previous No. 1 draft picks have been, Mwanga's growth is encouraging, to say the least.

4. Bill Hamid, goalkeeper, D.C. United

In September, when Bill Hamid became the first D.C. United academy player to sign with United's first team, the club intended for the 19-year-old to be its third-string keeper. But Hamid developed so quickly that when backup Josh Wicks went down with an injury, United felt confident enough to release him and promote Hamid to the No. 2 spot.

Then Troy Perkins, for whom United had gone to great lengths to acquire in the offseason, suffered a deep dip in form. In stepped the 6-foot-3 Hamid, with his kung-fu-quick hands.

Hamid made his MLS debut on May 5, and became the youngest keeper in league history to win a game. He started three more matches before Perkins rebounded and won his job back. But in Hamid's spell at the top, United won two games -- impressive, considering the squad has notched just three victories this season to date.

In Hamid, D.C. United have a starter-in-waiting, and the U.S. men's national team may ultimately have a successor to Tim Howard.

3. Omar Gonzalez, defender, Los Angeles Galaxy

Some will cry foul at the omission of New York Red Bulls defender Tim Ream, who might be further along than Gonzalez. But Gonzalez, 21, is a year younger than Ream and earned a call-up to the annual U.S. national team camp for U.S.-based players in January. It was a move that indicated Gonzalez is on U.S. Soccer's radar for the next World Cup.

Gonzalez is a better defender than Ream, too. At 6-foot-5, Gonzalez dominates in the air but his height doesn't compromise his speed. While Ream is better at playing the ball out of the back, Gonzalez is more reliable for what he is paid to do -- defend.

Last season, Gonzalez had an outsized hand in turning the Galaxy from grossly underachieving bottom-feeders to MLS finalists, solidifying a once-paltry defense along with veteran Gregg Berhalter and fellow rookie A.J. DeLaGarza. For his troubles, Gonzalez was named the Rookie of the Year.

2. Roger Torres, midfielder, Philadelphia Union

With an expansion team, it's hard to predict who will be the load-bearing players from the outset. Surely, nobody had expected one of those guys to be Roger Torres, a 5-foot-5, 19-year-old on loan from Colombian club América de Cali.

In a midfield with experienced players like Fred and Stefani Miglioranzi, Torres has proven to be the most influential thanks to his sharp vision and ability to hold the ball and send in well-timed crosses. In the season-opener against Seattle, he dished Sébastien Le Toux with the club's first-ever goal on a superb cross. Torres has since doled out three more assists in his nine starts.

With a talent like this on its roster, the Union -- and MLS -- will no doubt be keen on trying to secure a permanent move for Torres.

1. Andy Najar, forward, D.C. United

While he seemingly came out of nowhere, the lithe forward has made heads turn this season with his speed, touch, and versatility. At just 17, and only four months into his pro career, Najar has not only been United's best player but he's also among the dozen or so standouts in the league this season.

Najar is the second player to sign out of the United's academy after dropping out of Edison High School in Northern Virginia. The Honduran has done most of his damage on opposing defenses on the wings, where he uses his pace and work-rate to play strikers into space.

He has started 11 of United's 17 games, missing a few due to a minor injury, and is slowly emerging into the type of player who teams build around. Before long, Najar could be known as the best player MLS has ever produced -- better, even, than Landon Donovan and Clint Dempsey.
Pretty sure Torres has become just a bench warmer of late. And when he does play, he does nothing. He did look super talented in the first few weeks of the season. Since then - not so much.

Glad to see him go - now I can go back to completely despising him when I see him play. It killed me to have to root for the guy when he was with Barcelona.

Some Bundesliga news from this past week.

The German Professional Players Union (VDV) awards came out this week.

Player of the Year - Arjen Robben with 72.7% of the vote.

Best Young Player - Thomas Müller with 73.1% of the vote.

Coach of the Year - Louis van Gaal with 38.8% followed closely by Felix Magath with 38.3%.

The VDV All Star Team is

Goalkeeper: Manuel Neuer (Schalke 04)

Defenders: Philipp Lahm (Bayern), Mats Hummels (Borussia Dortmund), Sami Hyypiä (Bayer Leverkusen), Dennis Aogo (Hamburger SV)

Midfield: Arjen Robben (Bayern), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern), Thomas Müller (Bayern), Toni Kroos (Bayer Leverkusen)

Forwards: Dzeko (Wolfsburg) and Stefan Kiessling (Leverkusen).

Glad to see him go - now I can go back to completely despising him when I see him play. It killed me to have to root for the guy when he was with Barcelona.
:doh: :goodriddance:

MLS vs Euro friendlies are continuing.

===============

DC beat Portsmouth 4-0 last night. What a mess for Portsmouth

"Portsmouth FC has suffered through ownership turmoil, financial meltdown, relegation from the EPL and a massive exodus of star players over the past year. Now it seems that luck has even deserted them on their preseason tour of North America.

Having already endured a spate of injuries and a grueling, cross-continental travel itinerary, Pompey were stranded in Chicago by weather delays on Friday night as they flew from Edmonton, Canada to Washington. And their kits were lost in transit as well, forcing them to wear D.C> United's road uniforms as they sweltered in a D.C. summer heat wave that kept the heat index at or above 100 degrees Fahrenheit well into the evening.

The star-crossed English side committed foul after foul as they chased a D.C. side in midseason form, resulting in five cautions and three ejections by referee Jorge Gonzalez as both teams were left irritated and fatigued by the end of the affair."

=================

Henry plays his second game vs Man City tonight. I have not heard if he will play more than 45 or if he will play with Angel for the first time.

=================

KC will be breaking a soccer attendance record. With 40k tickets presold to the Man U friendly, it will be the largest attended soccer game ever in KC's history.

Red Bull beat Man City 2-1 today with a brilliant goal by Dane Richards.

KC has obliterated their old soccer attendance record of 37.5k, with an announced crowd of 52+k. Crowd got to see a 10 men KC side hold on for a 2-1 win over Man U.

The MLS All Star game at Reliant Stadium in Houston is close to selling out.

With Javier Hernandez hopefully making his debut for Man U during the all star game, that should move some tickets in the Houston area.

Garber is either dead set against selling Landon or is posturing to get the highest offer possible. I think it may be the former

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/soc/7124564.html

Q: How important has he(Landon) been to MLS?

A: I believe that Landon is a very, very important member of our league and a guy that is going to help continue to grow the sport in this country. We made a big commitment to Landon last year by extending his contract and making a major financial commitment to him. It’s my hope that Landon stays with us for the rest of his career. Now at the end of the day, the decision as to whether or not Landon stays with the league or leaves the league is between the L.A. Galaxy and Landon Donovan. But from my perspective as commissioner, I very much hope that he can continue the job that he started and help us grow the interest and popularity of Major League Soccer at a time when I believe we have some real momentum. The second part of that, as the league commissioner, I don’t subscribe to the fact that it’s good to our league to have our best players leave. I understand that that’s what happens in other leagues. But no one can convince me that it’s better for Major League Soccer to have a guy like Landon play in England as opposed to playing in front of his fans in this country and serving as a real focal point for young kids to really aspire to dream to one day be him and wear an MLS jersey. That’s certainly in the best interest of the league. But at the end of the day, that’s a decision that will be made, if it ever comes to that point, by Landon and his team, the L.A. Galaxy. It’s not a league decision. It’s a player and team decision.

Q: Is there a subject that you’d like to touch more on before we finish?

A: Yes, Landon Donovan. Landon in my view is one of the best American soccer players of our generation. He’s just such an important part of our league’s history and he’s also an important part of our future. I can’t thank him enough for the contributions that he’s made in the past, and it’s my hope and my expectation that we can continue to count on him to help grow this sport in this country and to help build Major League Soccer into a truly great professional soccer league.

Goal.com is reporting that Rafa Marquez signed a 4 year deal with Red Bull. No official word yet from team or league.
Excellent- we've finally found our #10 that the team needs!Oh.Right.Rafa and Henry are still solid players that will help any team in teh MLS, but I really wish they had gone after younger, and/or less known guys who could help the team positionally.eta- not sure how much time I'll have to post these days, but it pisses me off that our fire happened at the end of the world cup. :thumbup:

Goal.com is reporting that Rafa Marquez signed a 4 year deal with Red Bull. No official word yet from team or league.
Excellent- we've finally found our #10 that the team needs!Oh.Right.Rafa and Henry are still solid players that will help any team in teh MLS, but I really wish they had gone after younger, and/or less known guys who could help the team positionally.
I have read that they will be playing Rafa in the midfield but as we know, he is not a #10 by any stretch of the imagination.If Rafa takes the league seriously and Angel can stay healthy, it is hard to not image Red Bull should be a better side than they have been historically.Good to see you back posting, even if only temporarily for a while. I missed your takes on the WC when the fire occurred.

Is there anything to this rumor about the Yankees purchasing some part of Tottenham Hotspur? I hate the Yankees, but if they bring the cash...
Gillet and Hicks have shown what a successful business model that can be :(
Gillet and Hicks brought less than cash. The borrowed money to buy the club and only added more debt once they had it. Money makes absolutely no sense to me. They just borrowed against assessts they had to get loans to buy another assesst, sold the assessts they borrowed against, still couldn't keep up with the debt, and somehow will probably make a profit when they sell the team? They never invested any cash into Liverpool.I need to start borrowing other peoples money and buying and selling stuff with it.

I need to start borrowing other peoples money and buying and selling stuff with it.
you could become a wedding coordinator :)
My weddings would be the ####. I already have a good friend that makes handmade stationary for weddings too.
Kendall in another life
If only I could find Steve Martin's daughter. Who is this?
The daughter was played by Kimberly Williams-Paisley

Gillet and Hicks have shown what a successful business model that can be :football:
Gillet and Hicks brought less than cash. The borrowed money to buy the club and only added more debt once they had it. Money makes absolutely no sense to me. They just borrowed against assessts they had to get loans to buy another assesst, sold the assessts they borrowed against, still couldn't keep up with the debt, and somehow will probably make a profit when they sell the team? They never invested any cash into Liverpool.I need to start borrowing other peoples money and buying and selling stuff with it.
If recent public reports are tru, I think its been a very successful business model for G&H. They will reportedly make a profit of several hundred million dollars if the club is sold at or near the Forbes valuations published last Spring.

Gillet and Hicks have shown what a successful business model that can be :blackdot:
If recent public reports are tru, I think its been a very successful business model for G&H. They will reportedly make a profit of several hundred million dollars if the club is sold at or near the Forbes valuations published last Spring.
Maybe...Hicks lost a bunch on the Texas Rangers sale...basically they leveraged the rangers to the hilt to buy Liverpool, so who really knows. Hicks Aquisition also filed for bankruptcy so he lost some there too. Glazer's basically done the same thing too with ManU, it just so happens that ManU's "worth" went up enough that the piper hasn't called....YET.

Users who are viewing this thread