What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (2 Viewers)

Here is a scenario (just take the assumptions as stated)

* JK will take three strikers to Brazil as part of the 23

* Jozy and Ice Ice Bacon will be two of them

* Dempsey and Donovan both will be on roster but listed as midfielders

* Out of the following, who do you take and why? Assume all will be healthy come WC

Wondo, EJ, Herc, Boyd, or Agudelo

I'll preface by saying it's going to be time/form sensitive- all of these guys stand a chance if they're in great form. Oh screw it- Wondo doesn't stand a chance. I love the guy for his ability to get inside the 6 yard box and finish chances against marginal opposition... but Germany, Portugal and Ghana will eat him up.

I'd lean to EJ- he's a guy with the most versatility of that group and has the composure and experience at that level, along with a solid skill set with plenty of upside if he finds his swagger. JK could throw him up front as a target, withdrawn forward or even as a MF (although he doesn't excel there).

It's been a while, so I'll give him credit for improving, but Agudelo is frustratingly savvy-less If he's not scoring goals, he brings a lot less to the team compared to EJ who finally learned how to make runs both for himself and for teammates. EJ understands the game better (never thought I'd say that about him) than Agudelo.

Boyd is a wildcard to me- I know his game a lot less than the other three. I've seen some great workrate and fantastic athleticism up front from him. I've also seen him completely disappear or look lost with the ball. But he seems to understand the spacing and shape of his team better than EJ. What I"ve seen so far (again- limited), I put Juan's upside on the ball to create something ahead of Boyd's, but Boyd's compatability ahead of Juan's. So if I"m taking just an out and out goal-scorer/creater- a guy who might score that last 10 minute goal out of nothing if needed- instead of the versatility of EJ, I think I lean towards... ugh- Aguedelo.

I'll preface by saying it's going to be time/form sensitive- all of these guys stand a chance if they're in great form. Oh screw it- Wondo doesn't stand a chance. I love the guy for his ability to get inside the 6 yard box and finish chances against marginal opposition... but Germany, Portugal and Ghana will eat him up.

I'd lean to EJ- he's a guy with the most versatility of that group and has the composure and experience at that level, along with a solid skill set with plenty of upside if he finds his swagger. JK could throw him up front as a target, withdrawn forward or even as a MF (although he doesn't excel there).

It's been a while, so I'll give him credit for improving, but Agudelo is frustratingly savvy-less If he's not scoring goals, he brings a lot less to the team compared to EJ who finally learned how to make runs both for himself and for teammates. EJ understands the game better (never thought I'd say that about him) than Agudelo.

Boyd is a wildcard to me- I know his game a lot less than the other three. I've seen some great workrate and fantastic athleticism up front from him. I've also seen him completely disappear or look lost with the ball. But he seems to understand the spacing and shape of his team better than EJ. What I"ve seen so far (again- limited), I put Juan's upside on the ball to create something ahead of Boyd's, but Boyd's compatability ahead of Juan's. So if I"m taking just an out and out goal-scorer/creater- a guy who might score that last 10 minute goal out of nothing if needed- instead of the versatility of EJ, I think I lean towards... ugh- Aguedelo.
This is a good analysis.

I am down to Agudelo and EJ for my pick as well.

I fell in love with Agudelo last year when he got matched up with a bunch of other like minded young players. He was fun to watch. For lack of a better term, he has "it". Hopefully what ever "it" is can become consistent in Holland.

EJ also brings the aerial ability that we may need in the last ten minutes if/when losing and we start pumping the ball in the box and hopefully getting some corners. This is important because this 3rd striker will likely be only used as a late game sub.

Still, when a guy has this plethora of skills, it would hurt to leave him at home if he is on form

In no way am I kidding. Sterling is a better player. At least under Rodgers system.

Januzaj looks like he will turn decent. Who knows when you are playing under Moyse's tactics.

I declared Suarez as the best EPL player a year or two ago. Do you think I was kidding on that, too?
:lol: Some of you guys crack me up.
What makes Januzaj so much better?
I think he is technically better and has better vision. He's also had to shoulder a lot more given United's struggles.

If you think Sterling is better that's fine. They have had comparable seasons. I think Januzaj's skillset gives him a much higher ceiling.
Tremendous vision - probably the best set passer on that team outside of Mata.

But just way too slow (open field speed equivalent to someone like Carrick) and lead-footed to ever be considered inside the top 50 in the world, let alone top 10. The physical/athletic ability just isn't there.

He better hope for a chance to unseat Young on the English team, otherwise, he's got no chance to start over Mirallas/Mertens/Nainggolan/Chadli/Debruyne on the Belgiums.
Januzaj is likely quicker than Ribery and Robben and significantly quicker than Mata or Silva, each of whom have been named in the top 50 in the world (to say nothing of Iniesta, who has been named in the top 10).
Let's not start putting the kid in the same sentence as those fellas just yet. Especially Iniesta.

Back to the Sterling comparison, FIFA (the game) agrees with the sentiment here. Sterling is rated higher now (76/73), but kid has a much higher potential (84/89). Whatever that is worth...

This is a good analysis.

I fell in love with Agudelo last year when he got matched up with a bunch of other like minded young players. He was fun to watch. For lack of a better term, he has "it". Hopefully what ever "it" is can become consistent in Holland.

EJ also brings the aerial ability that we may need in the last ten minutes if/when losing and we start pumping the ball in the box and hopefully getting some corners. This is important because this 3rd striker will likely be only used as a late game sub.

Still, when a guy has this plethora of skills, it would hurt to leave him at home if he is on form

The bolded sums it up for me perfectly. And I'm not really an EJ fan at all. I'd love to see someone else step up and take that spot, but I think he has exactly the right set to be that player this year.

I do worry about Klinsmann's lack of love for Donovan though. I feel a weird vibe that JK has dug in on Donovan and won't start him. I could see Jk trying to justify EJ one side and Zusi on the other. This could be JK's Clark over Edu

This is a good analysis.

I fell in love with Agudelo last year when he got matched up with a bunch of other like minded young players. He was fun to watch. For lack of a better term, he has "it". Hopefully what ever "it" is can become consistent in Holland.EJ also brings the aerial ability that we may need in the last ten minutes if/when losing and we start pumping the ball in the box and hopefully getting some corners. This is important because this 3rd striker will likely be only used as a late game sub.

I don't remember JK ever not starting Landon. He even gave him the arm band in the last game for the first time.

But I know better than to try and guess what JK will do. If he has started Evans over Cam, he can do anything.

This is a good analysis.

I fell in love with Agudelo last year when he got matched up with a bunch of other like minded young players. He was fun to watch. For lack of a better term, he has "it". Hopefully what ever "it" is can become consistent in Holland.EJ also brings the aerial ability that we may need in the last ten minutes if/when losing and we start pumping the ball in the box and hopefully getting some corners. This is important because this 3rd striker will likely be only used as a late game sub.

Ok, when you talk about a soccer spine maybe you literally mean the center of the pitch, but it still seems like a slight that Jk takes all too often with Donovan. And, if it just down the middle that Jk is talking about, he is also completely ignoring the CBs (which I understand, but still a slap).

Like I said, hopefully I'm reading too much into it.

Sebowski said:
NewlyRetired said:

This is a good analysis.

When did JK say this? It matters only because of LD's in/out presence on the team... and JK isn't one to include a guy in his discussinos if he's not actually on the team. But as andy said- IIRC, when LD's around, he plays. I don't recall seeing LD get snubbed.

Good points about EJ's ability in the air. Also, I think his post-up/holding play has gotten quite good as well- better than anybody else for the US. That ability will come in handy too if the US actually has a lead. My only worry about EJ is that the last couple times out he's seemed a bit lackadaisical... bordering on over-confident. I like his game with swagger- but not disinterest.

Sebowski said:

This is a good analysis.

He said it recently, maybe with in the last week.

If you notice he did not mention Fab either and he certainly is going to play Fab if healthy.

Who are you taking out when EJ goes in? He's shorter than Dempsey and Altidore, who I expect would be in the game.

I still like Shea if you are looking for instant offense at the end of the game, he only has one trick in his bag, but he's not bad at that one trick.

Expecting a tough game at Fulham. They won't press high or keep a high line I don't think...they'll pack it in. 0-2 or 0-1 good guys

Who are you taking out when EJ goes in? He's shorter than Dempsey and Altidore, who I expect would be in the game..
Not sure what height has to do with it. EJ is by far our best player in the air, it is not even close. Bake might be the only other player in US history that even comes close. As for whom he takes out, if you are chasing the game it would likely be a Jones/Zusi/Bedoya type switch, imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Expecting a tough game at Fulham. They won't press high or keep a high line I don't think...they'll pack it in. 0-2 or 0-1 good guys
Best thing that could have happened to Fulham was getting Liverpool the same day as this storm- anything to slow those guys down. Used to be Craven Cottage was a fortress... not so much any more.

Who are you taking out when EJ goes in? He's shorter than Dempsey and Altidore, who I expect would be in the game..
Not sure what height has to do with it. EJ is by far our best player in the air, it is not even close. Bake might be the only other player in US history that even comes close.As for whom he takes out, if you are chasing the game it would likely be a Jones/Zusi/Bedoya type switch, imo.
John Doyle.

I do think Dempsey is better than EJ in the air though. Jozy not as much.

I still like EJ's combo of hold-up play, pace/knowledge to make the diagonal run, and ability to go at guys with swagger. Has a decent goal-scoring record as well.

There is NO reason Cleverly should be on the pitch, especially when both Mata and Kagawa are better options. And why is the best player youve had over the last 2 months on the bench again? Januzaj should be on the wing.

Thank you EPL for randomly scheduling Tuesday/Wednesday matches during the ice storm to help us pass the time :hifive:
I hate you. This would be the perfect day for a Live Ramsay DrunkBlog.

I'm pretty certain I can come up with something pretty memorable to say about Ozil after my fourth Manhattan.
We'll have to make do with Piers Morgan's live coverage via twitter. Hes already on tilt. An RVP goal will send him into orbit.

Not sure what height has to do with it. EJ is by far our best player in the air, it is not even close. Bake might be the only other player in US history that even comes close.As for whom he takes out, if you are chasing the game it would likely be a Jones/Zusi/Bedoya type switch, imo.
John Doyle.I do think Dempsey is better than EJ in the air though.
I am referring to offensive scoring late in a game off of crosses. Not defensive heading like Doyle was good at. Boca was much better in the box offensively heading than Doyle was imo. Doyle scored less goals than most of our other CB's (Celo, Boca, Lalas, Gooch, Pope etc).

If we are talking attacking the ball in the 18 on a cross in terms of scoring with a header, then I disagree about Dempsey. EJ has a silly amount of header goals in his career both at the club and national level.

I think he doubled the previous MLS record for most header goals in a season.

He has three for the Nats that are relatively recent.

The header that saved our butts in Antigua

The powerful header that put the US up against Mexico in Columbus

The header he scored when on the field for less than 10 seconds in the Gold Cup last summer

Last edited by a moderator:
Is a 0-0 draw more a comment on Arsenal or United?

I just dont understand Moyes' starting lineups or in game subs. He has two great central playmakers in Mata and Kagawa and he insists on playing them wide or not at all. He has an up and coming star winger in Januzaj (whos been the top player with RVP and Rooney out) and he is used as a sub. Cleverly starts in the middle and despite his great work rate has no vision, no shot and is afraid to do anything other then the "safe" pass.

Moyes plays for the draw and not for the win. He wont turn a 2-0 lead into 4-0 he turns it into 2-2

I really think he was holding Everton back, not pushing them forward as I thought coming into this season. He doesn't know what to do with the players he has (most of which won the league by 11 last season) or how to draw up a game plan....

Goal and an assist this month. Guy's a fantasy machine.
I may have just realized this week that Jussi has fallen out of favor in West London. :bag:
My dad was arguing as late as November that Jussi was the best goalkeeper in the EPL. I suspect he's discovered crack.
I caught some of the Norwich game yesterday, and Adrian was masterful. They could be approaching water-tight once Reid gets back, which should be any game now.

And I meant East London, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread