What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (5 Viewers)

McTominnay just has surgery, so he's out a few weeks/months.  And even a blind man can see Matic can't be rolled out there more than once/month or so, right? :oldunsure:   Maybe we can a Fred/VdB pairing 🙏

I mean- not sure exactly how he'll fit in and who gets moved around for him to play... but the guy still scores a crap-ton of goals. and will sell a crap-ton of CRO United stuff.

Something happened behind the scenes with their new coach.  
Yeah Allegerri doesn't give special treatment to players so CR7 cried about it basically. From a Juve friend he was apparently questioned by his teammates about his loyalty to the club which is a good idea. 

Difference between Messi and CR7 is Messi never wanted to leave Barca. CR7 is just a hired mercenary for whoever gives him the most euros and strokes his ego enough. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ronaldo to United seems like a much bigger concern to EPL hopefuls than Ronaldo to City.  I've not really seen the guy play very much the past couple years, but if he's still got some of the old magic it would seem to be a huge boost at United, only a marginal improvement at City.

Ronaldo isn't as fast as he use to be. he's more of a striker give him the ball from playmakers then anything else. He's barely been feared in Serie A despite the goals. Clubs were more he's good enough he's gonna score no matter what but he isn't gonna beat us with the flashy stuff either anymore. 

I mean- not sure exactly how he'll fit in and who gets moved around for him to play... but the guy still scores a crap-ton of goals. and will sell a crap-ton of CRO United stuff.
Almost assuredly he’ll play up top.  May mean Martial will be sold or relegated to cup matches.  I like Greenwood up top more than Martial myself.  I think United would be a stud DM from being set with a 4-1-4-1 or 4-3-3.  In the league Ole just needs to step on teams throats from the outset and forget to holding mids.

Will also be interesting what this means for Cavani - he was great in somewhat limited playing time - he’s the guy that I think really steps back due to this.  I disagree with Cleitus - I don’t see Sancho and CR vying for the same spot.

That also probably means we will see more of Rashford on the wing than up top (unless Cavani or Martial leaves) - I think I like him up too better than as a winger.

But overall - I'm giddy about it.  He's not what he was and they don't necessarily need him to be.

So much pressure on Ole now.

So help me god if he continues to start 2 of Fred/McT/Matic with this firepower they should fire him immediately.
I think having Ronaldo in the lineup pretty much assures us of getting more McFred. Especially with how well Pogba has been playing in that free role on the left. Pogba, Bruno, and Sancho roaming around setting up Ronaldo. McFred back there covering them so that they can do whatever the hell they want. Rashford, Greenwood, Cavani, VDB ready to jump in.  🤤

Saw something last night where his shots/90 has fallen off bigtime in the last couple years.  And he's 36.  I'm sure he'll score some goals, but I don't think he'll be a massive impact player.

(and now that I've said that, I'd like to congratulate United fans on winning the title)
A very different player than he left Manchester.  I see him much more as a 9 these days. I can imagine a lot of games he comes on in the last 30 minutes to decide the match.

I think having Ronaldo in the lineup pretty much assures us of getting more McFred. Especially with how well Pogba has been playing in that free role on the left. Pogba, Bruno, and Sancho roaming around setting up Ronaldo. McFred back there covering them so that they can do whatever the hell they want. Rashford, Greenwood, Cavani, VDB ready to jump in.  🤤

Seems dumb to me but what do I know.  I understand you can't just throw a bunch of attackers out there just because you can but I don't understand how somebody would think this

Ronaldo

Pogba               Bruno             Sancho

Fred              McT

Is better than this

Ronaldo

Sancho     Pogba      Bruno    Greenwood

Fred

I mean - if you think your back four is that bad and you need 2 guys to cover then why spend the money on Varane?  Wasn't that the point?

AAABatteries said:
Seems dumb to me but what do I know.  I understand you can't just throw a bunch of attackers out there just because you can but I don't understand how somebody would think this

Ronaldo

Pogba               Bruno             Sancho

Fred              McT

Is better than this

Ronaldo

Sancho     Pogba      Bruno    Greenwood

Fred

I mean - if you think your back four is that bad and you need 2 guys to cover then why spend the money on Varane?  Wasn't that the point?
I think it's about what gets the best out of the guys you have. This is a similar position to what Bruno plays with Portugal. He just isn't the same. He thrives as a pure 10. And Pogba just can't be asked to do anything defensively. Once he's free though, he's an animal.

I totally get what you're saying though. It should work. Especially with Pogba. He has all the attributes to perform as a more defensive mid, but he's just never consistent there. You can't argue with his results in that free role on the left. 

Pogba. He has all the attributes to perform as a more defensive mid, but he's just never consistent there.
the frustrating part (for United fans, I'd assume) is that he was lights out leading France to the WC in exactly that spot. he never stopped playing/being laser focused in that run the way he tends to do with United. he was the model of consistency there- but totally agree, never in the EPL.

the frustrating part (for United fans, I'd assume) is that he was lights out leading France to the WC in exactly that spot. he never stopped playing/being laser focused in that run the way he tends to do with United. he was the model of consistency there- but totally agree, never in the EPL.
For sure. I don't know if it's the Kante factor or the style of play in the EPL or what. He just doesn't perform well there for United.

For sure. I don't know if it's the Kante factor or the style of play in the EPL or what. He just doesn't perform well there for United.
you can never underestimate the Kante factor. but I remember being amazed at how much selfless ground Pogba covered and how locked in he was for each 90 minutes- lots of effort that doesn't show up on the stat sheets. for Man U... not so much.

I think it's about what gets the best out of the guys you have. This is a similar position to what Bruno plays with Portugal. He just isn't the same. He thrives as a pure 10. And Pogba just can't be asked to do anything defensively. Once he's free though, he's an animal.

I totally get what you're saying though. It should work. Especially with Pogba. He has all the attributes to perform as a more defensive mid, but he's just never consistent there. You can't argue with his results in that free role on the left. 

I just question the viability of a squad using two free players at the same time that won't track back reliably. Maybe chasing a goal, but I wouldn't do it for 90 minutes.

Liverpool fans = Mexico fans. 

like school in the summer time. like a substitute teacher. like a group of people chanting anti-gay bigotry. no class.

Liverpool fans = Mexico fans. 

like school in the summer time. like a substitute teacher. like a group of people chanting anti-gay bigotry. no class.

Not surprising the only good thing ever from Liverpool were the Beatles and outside of Sir Paul I think they were pretty overrated these days. 

Speaking of Mexico LaLiga fans they got the All star match stopped for similar chants the other night shortly after FIFA made their fan ban of 2 matches into 1. Literally had some clown MMA fan on twitter try and defend these chants and what Oveereem said about wrestling wasn't bad. Saying "well in different languages it means different stuff" and my always favorite one especially when it comes to people dropping N Bombs "Well we only say it to our friends and family who are cool with it." 

Fabrizio Romano on Serie A Pre Match

Not surprised on CR7 Transfer. Kean done deal wanted to come back to Italy and knows what is expected at Juve

Juve are looking for another possible ST with Marco Incardi as a possibility but things could change with the Mbappe situation

CR7 wages off the books now allows Juve to get better MF help but it won't happen till Jan

Weston McKinnie won't be leaving right now but doesn't rule it out later. Spurs only offered a loan with opt to buy. Juve want at least 30M and if he leaves it will be a sell and not loan. Not enough time in Mercado to look for new MF

Tiemu Bakayoko is all but done. Here We Go tomorrow

Milan is working on Roman Faivre and Adili and Junior Messia. Faivre worth 15M Milan wants him for 10 but doesn't rule out a deal not being complete

Milan want to get another #10 and RW before Mercado is done. Expects at least 1

Asked what kind of sleep if any he's had. Barely and says the Sancho transfer feels like it was a year ago now. He'll sleep in Sept 

Juventus also lost to newly Promoted Empoli. Chellini is seen mouthing to Allegri "this isn't a team" during the match. Neither manager nor player looked all pleased with the performance. 

During Pre Math they also showed the popular local Paper headlines in Italy. Basically every paper #### on CR7 with two mentioning in the headline and then only talking about the match between Juve and Empoli. To Say he won't be missed in Serie A is an understatement. Really didn't move the needle on new fans and CR7 fans are like NBA fans (Lebron and others) who just support a specific player and not a club/team. 

Roma off to a great start. And Tammy Abraham is looking like a really good addition. Also, it’s so great having Zaniolo back (even though he was out today due to a red card).  Hopefully they can keep up this level of play when they face off against the big boys. 

Roma off to a great start. And Tammy Abraham is looking like a really good addition. Also, it’s so great having Zaniolo back (even though he was out today due to a red card).  Hopefully they can keep up this level of play when they face off against the big boys. 
paging @Kafka for the reach around.

Tammy always looked good with Chelsea... at least to my eyes. His lack of playing time never made sense to me, even though I can appreciate there must have been good reasons for it. As an Inter fan, I hope those reasons come to fruition soon.

Tammy always looked good with Chelsea... at least to my eyes. His lack of playing time never made sense to me, even though I can appreciate there must have been good reasons for it. As an Inter fan, I hope those reasons come to fruition soon.
I honestly didn't understand it either.  Timo was obviously better at line breaking runs, but Tammy was decent at them in his own right.  I also thought Tammy was ok at hold up play(which means he was miles better than Timo) and has an above average finisher's touch.  I think there must've been practice reasons, maybe a lack of pressing ability, or just personality clashing reasons(with Tuchel) for why Tammy didn't play.  Lampard played him plenty and spoke highly about him often.

Chelsea didn't put that buy back clause in there for laughs.  There are many at the club who think Tammy can be the striker of the future for them.  He obviously needs work, but he has loads of talent and always has had a nose for goal.  I think they'll like him at Roma.  

So Rasenballsport Leipzig dares to challenge Bayern, gets a bit threatening, and Bayern reacts by signing Upamecano, taking the manager Nagelsman, and has now signed the Leipzig captain Sabitzer - all in the last six months. Great league.

Now, Emery Taisne of L’Equipe confims that Adli is expected in Milan this afternoon. The 21-year-old will sign for the Rossoneri this evening before being loaned back to Bordeaux for the remainder of the season.

Daniele Longo of Calciomercato.com claims Milan and Bordeaux have reached a total agreement for Adli at €8m plus bonuses and the player will remain in France on loan, a figure which is confirmed by Luca Cilli of Sportitalia, while Antonio Vitiello of MilanNews also tweeted that it is in fact a done deal.

Di Marzio of Sky reports that Adli is already on a flight to Italy and today he will undergo his medical ahead of a move worth €10m including bonuses and he will remain on loan to Bordeaux.

Bakayoko has 2 yrs loan with Milan with a 15M buy fee

16 YS old Chaka Traore of Senegal playing for Parma is now a Milan player. Milan paid Parma 600K for the young lads card

Strong rumors also that Milan will announce James Rodriguez on deadline day as he was offered to the club by agent Jorge Medes. Faivire still remains an option 

Zouma to West Ham is official.  The are a legit PL side.

They are going to have to navigate the Europa League, and the quirky Thursday-Sunday games (though, for the life of me, I don't understand the difference between that and Wednesday-Saturday).

I think they currently lack a little depth, but they are trying to address that in the final 48-hours.  They do have a strong starting XI though.

So Rasenballsport Leipzig dares to challenge Bayern, gets a bit threatening, and Bayern reacts by signing Upamecano, taking the manager Nagelsman, and has now signed the Leipzig captain Sabitzer - all in the last six months. Great league.

I still enjoy watching the Bundesliga as a total neutral but yeah, this is kind of ridiculous.

They are going to have to navigate the Europa League, and the quirky Thursday-Sunday games (though, for the life of me, I don't understand the difference between that and Wednesday-Saturday).

I think they currently lack a little depth, but they are trying to address that in the final 48-hours.  They do have a strong starting XI though.

I'm sure there's an exception but it always seems like the team that makes the leap from one year to Europe struggles due to depth.  It's just really hard, especially if you really try to compete in the European competition.

I'm sure there's an exception but it always seems like the team that makes the leap from one year to Europe struggles due to depth.  It's just really hard, especially if you really try to compete in the European competition.
Arsenal should keep this in mind in a few years...  if they can get back to Europe.

Not a surprise to anyone.  The last non Bayern team to win the Bundesliga was Dortmund, who did in back to back years.  Then, Bayern stole Gotze, Lewandowski, and Hummels from them and suddenly they were fighting to make European competitions rather than for the title.

Users who are viewing this thread